American Idol Top 6 Results Recap: The Land of Kelly C., and the Home of the Save? [Updated]

American-Idol-Top-6-Results-Judges-SaveThe American Idol Judges’ Save is kind of like that panini press in the back of your pantry. It seemed pretty nifty when you got it back in 2009, but you’ve ended up using it only once every 12 months, and now you’re like, “Is it time to put this contraption out on the front stoop and hope somebody takes it off my hands?”

Of course, once you get the thing out and dust it off, you think, “Oooh, I might have a little hunk of gruyere in the cheese drawer. Maybe I should make me a sammie.”

I figured that might be the prevailing attitude behind the Idol judges’ table tonight: Keith, Nicki, Randy and Mariah knew they had to use their veto power before Top 5 week, or put it back in storage till next year. The only question was: Had the gruyere passed its expiration date?

There was a five in six chance that we’d hear the hiss and sizzle (and electrifying audience roar) that accompanies the making of a hot cheesy sandwich Save. After all, the judges have been heralding Season 12’s quintet of female contestants for months on end — and this week in particular, the chicas lived up to the hype. You might be #TeamCandice or #TeamKree, but you also know there are genuine merits to being on #TeamAmber, #TeamJanelle and #TeamAngie.

Which left only Lazaro “Last Man Standing” Arbos as the giant question mark. Indeed, if the worst-performing contestant ever to advance to the American Idol Top 6 — and yes, I’m well aware I’m saying John “Crocodile Rock” Stevens, Jasmine “It’s Raining Men” Trias and Nikki “Never Forget Tamyra Gray” McKibbin were better — finished No. 6 in America’s vote this week, how could the judges possibly justify using the ol’ J.S.? The discomfort of his botched lyrics, ill-chosen notes and frozen smile in the face of brutal criticism was about as fun as, well, having one’s hand pressed between two piping hot metal plates. But then again, knowing how the show’s producers love trumped-up drama, could they leave such an opportunity unused?

Let’s cut to the results and find out. Ryan started by separating the contestants into three groups:

FAR SIDE OF THE STAGE
Angie Miller
Janelle Arthur

CENTER STAGE
Lazaro Arbos
Amber Holcomb

CLOSEST TO THE SEACREST
Kree Harrison
Candice Glover

Turns out Candice and Kree were the week’s Top 2 (though we don’t know in which order). Anyhow, America got that part right. (Hip, hip…hurrah!) Janelle and Angie were the midpack players. And it was Lazaro and Amber in the Bottom 2. Any possibility of suspense evaporated when Ryan told Lazaro he was the lowest vote-getter, and the kid with the heartbreaking backstory about struggling with a stuttering problem began singing “Feeling Good” with all the enthusiasm of a devout nun at an Insane Clown Posse concert.

The judges quickly said “Nyet!” to their final chance to use the Save, and Lazaro — his armor already up around his eyeballs — grinned weakly. “Sounds good,” he shot back. “No problem, guys.”

“Keep that smile on your face!” said a perky Ryan Seacrest, unwilling or unable to detect the pain and disdain percolating beneath Lazaro’s expression.

And with that, Idol‘s Lazaro Epidemic is finished. We’ve got ourselves as solid a Top 5 as we could’ve hoped for, and I say let the games begin! How about you?

Before I sign off, a few quick thoughts and observations:

* I’m guessing Nicki Minaj spent more time in makeup and hair this week than the Top 6 did rehearsing that listless Bacharach medley. Okay, a few individual moments were pretty — and Amber and Candice nailed “One Less Bell to Answer” — but nevertheless it’s clear there’s not time in the kids’ schedules for these results-show ditties. Why not scrap them and make room for one additional Idol grad per episode? Crystal Bowersox, Katelyn Epperly, Paul McDonald, Blake Lewis, Brooke White and (gasp) even Lee DeWyze all have relatively recent releases to promote. Plus, wouldn’t it be a travesty if we went yet another season without a performance from my Idology cohost Melinda Doolittle? Come on, Nigel! Make it happen!

* Jimmy’s “Notes from the Idol Message Boards” segment felt a tad rushed this week, and if I’m being honest, I think his “more personality needed” critique for Kree was poorly timed after her Top 6 Week performances. (Maybe Rock Week and Motown Week, her vocals lacked the proper oomph and connectedness, but she upped her game on Wednesday and deserved more credit. Or at least that’s what my ears believe.) As for ranking Lazaro No. 10 out of six, it felt a little unnecessarily cruel — at least after asked the soon-to-be-doomed contestant about his nervous giggle. “I thought his comments were really funny, so I laughed,” said Laz, in one of the least convincing line readings since Khloe and Mario ended Season 2 of The X Factor.

* Scott McCreery hit a few rough patches on “See You Tonight,” but the lyrical content and melody were a significant improvement — and felt decidedly more genuine — than most of his freshman album. I didn’t really need Ryan commenting on his “big guns,” though. Blech.

* I like how Idol’s been flashing back to its performing graduates’ own experiences on the show before they come back to perform. Kelly seemed as goofy and charming back in Season 1 as she does now with her 20 million albums sold and trio of Grammy awards. Not surprisingly, she sounded astonishing on “People Like Us” — and dare I say this might be my favorite single of hers…ever? Or at least since “Stronger (What Doesn’t Kill You),” anyway.

* Yes, it was well past time for Lazaro’s exit. And yes, someone behind the judges’ table needed to offer him a few kind words. But how tone deaf and phony was it to have his harshest critic Randy Jackson calling him “a treasure to the show”? Ugh, Randy: Still the worst after all these years. The less said about Lazaro’s “Feeling Good,” by the way, the better.

Okay, your turn: What did you think of Season 12 Top 6 results night? Are you glad Lazaro is gone? Were you surprised to see the Save left on the table? Sound off in the comments, and for all my Idol-related news, recaps, interviews and videos, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. dani n. says:

I’ve never gone to an idol tour.I thought I would this BUT THEN I’D HAVE TO ENDURE LAZARO.

• marie says:

That’s silly. If you were really interested in seeing the rest of the performers, you’d go. You could always use Lazaro’s performance to go get a snack.

• deedee says:

Yeah, just like Colton’s unbearable 3 song set was my perfect bathroom break on the last tour!

• Mafs95 says:

LoL, I like Colton… If only I could fly to the US easily, I’d be watching what was your bathroom break. Heejun would probably be mine break LOOOL

2. darcy's evil twin says:

Well praise God and pass the ammunition. This has been one of the most frustrating days of my life dealing with technical problems – I haven’t watched the show yet and so help me Jesus if I had checked in here and Lazaro had not been kicked off I would have just died. That is the best thing that’s happened all day.

• Mike Hollingworth says:

hey evil, glad to see you are here now. After your early Charlie reference I have been scrolling down and down and down and down and phew finally you are here. Welcome back.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Well, thanks. Just had a busy, stressful day yesterday. can’t wait to watch Idol on DVR when I get home!

3. Paul says:

Put a fork in Idol, it’s dead….Nigel will get his lady winner, and no one will care…

4. Tiff says:

Can we just give a holla for Kelly Clarkson, who kicked unbelievable arse tonight? That song is HARD, and Kelly slayed it!

5. Griffin says:

Everyone is saying how the producers rigged this top 5 of all girls. Just to humor me, what boy were you thinking that could actually win and outlast all of the superior girls?

• LeahKittyS says:

I didn’t mind this year’s crop of men (though Curtis annoyed me and Lazaro was on a steep decline since the finals began), but someone with that problem would probably answer “We wouldn’t know; they were all cut back in Hollywood Week without us knowing!”

• Jason says:

Or probably cut before they even got to judges! Do you honestly believe that those are the five best undiscovered male singers in the country They purposely cut out any rock performers(bhecause rockers usually go far) or anyone too good looking that would capture the female vote!

• Ramification says:

I know this is a weird theory, but I wonder that now there is The Voice (which has some professionals on it but also newbies) and X Factor maybe the pool of talent applying to Idol isn’t as large as it once was, and maybe just maybe there weren’t that many rocker / charismatic guys to go around ? I am not saying TPTB didn’t want a female winner but I keep thinking that there was some males in the top 20 that did well in Vegas rounds but then totally bombed during semifinals week. (like Nick Boddington and Vincent Powell) and also the pool of applicants is now diluted with all the other singing competitions out there.

• Name That Tune says:

No. I think these shows are recycling the same contestants. We’ve seen former Idol contestants on both the Voice and X Factor. There are only so many good singers out there. And I neither The Voice or X Factor have produced a Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Fantasia, Kathryn McPhee (Smash), or Jennifer Hudson. (And I didn’t mention a single guy).
            Season 12 of Idol is going to give us at least 2 stars – one in country, the other in R&B. A third in the Christian market.
            That’s not bad for the old war horse.

• teatime says:

@Name That Tune, noone from The Voice or X-Factor has sold anywhere near as much as the lowest selling Idol winner. For all its flaws, Idol does allow for contestants to break out of the boxes Idol tries to put them in, and for fans to get to know a lot about the contestants during the course of the season. Until the other shows learn to allow the contestants to have more control over what they do, it is going to be very difficult for any of them to have a hit song of album immediately after the show.

• Meme says:

THAT BOY, whoever he might have been, never got past the audition process. There had to be one somewhere in all those audition venues, don’t you think?

6. Paul says:

and you’d be right LeahKittyS…as I’m sure Mr. Slezak will address next week, the problem with Idol now is that it doesn’t even pretend anymore. It got called out for how it manufactures its’ contestants and couldn’t respond…

• LeahKittyS says:

I’d be right about what? The eight people that will be reported missing before we get to the finale? Well, good to know someone appreciates my sense of humor.

7. raftrap says:

An amazing Top 5, just wanted to say that.

8. Caro says:

Kelly was incredible and the only reason I bothered to tune in!

9. Adam Fachry says:

Note to Jason Averett: please do insert the “this is my now” snippet in the Kree and Candice footage for next week’s idology. As it could foreshadow what’s gonna happen in the next 3-4 weeks. (hint: finale)

10. WendyL says:

I wonder if Lazaro’s voters might throw some support to Amber because of how sad she was about him leaving – Those tears might melt their little tone-deaf hearts! (I know, I know – hearts can’t hear) I still feel Amber has mad potential if she was a better, more comfortable performer.

• deedee says:

I wondered why Amber was crying so hard. At first I thought it was just out of relief that she was spared, and the tension was lifted. But then it looked like she was really heartbroken about Lazaro leaving. Were they good friends?

• Guitar Blue says:

That’s a possibility that could throw a curve into the progression to a win. Each elimination throws a new wrinkle into the pecking order. Amber and Janelle may get more support from Lazaro’s disenfranchised voting block than the others.

Most reality shows are a popularity contest. On Idol, vocal skills are important, but “impressions” made on the audience are a strong factor. ……….

While Angie, Candice and Kree are still in the “favored” category by oddsmakers, and expected to easily be the top 3, there may still be a surprise in store. Otherwise, just another predictable countdown, with not much drama.

• Name That Tune says:

Nothing is going to change unless someone other than Angie or Candice produce “A Moment”.
        That is really what is separating Amber and Janelle from the top 3. We’ve seen one genuine moment from Janelle, none from Amber. We haven’t seen a genuine moment from Kree either but she’s been consistent in the country genre. On Monday after Idology, I will follow with more. For the first time in weeks there’s been some movement on Twitter and YouTube and the Lazaro factor has been removed. Barring a major stumble in the next 2 weeks, the top 3 is almost locked up.

11. Tabbygirl says:

Here’s the math- the finale is May 15-16. Next week April 17-18, they use the save, still 5. April 24-25 5 down to 4.
    May 1-2 , 4 down to 3. May 8-9, 3 down to the Top 2, and then the Finale with the Top 2 on May 15-16. The save will most definitely used next week!

• Guitar Blue says:

^^^ a chance that next week is meaningless to watch or bother voting. They did not reveal that because it could hurt ratings.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

They’ve had a week in other seasons where nobody got sent home. During one of the big idol gives back sorts of weeks.

12. Jerry Thomas says:

Next week the Judges will give Janelle and Angie the bashing of their lifetimes and they will tell Kree and Candice how great they are but with a few creative comments to put doubt into the minds of the sheeple and then, and then… they Will tell us how Awesome Amber is even though the rest of America can never even remember her name lol

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

Yeah I have a slightly bad feeling they might turn on Angie. We will see whether they were just trying to tell her stuff to her to the top from now on or were starting the set up.
      (that said Candice was so amazing the other night, she is at the top for real)

• Jerry Thomas says:

Candice and Kree are the best vocalist on the show. ,Angie and Jenelle are the best entertainers and Amber, as beautiful as she is, is still just Amber. Here is my theory though, Jimmy likes Amber and he thinks that America doesn’t get her but he does because he knows that sex sells and he knows that he can fix any other problem she has as far as talent goes and he is right, when it comes to the female artist in the music industry. if they don’t promote the T & A, the sales are low, even female country artist are starting to play on this technique.Shania Twain did it and people listened. IMO they will be pushing Amber for the win, they wanted Angie at first but I think Nicki, even though she uses her T & A to promote herself, took the wind out of that idea. If artist like Janis Joplin was born in this generation,we would have never had the opportunity to hear her music. Its sad but it is true.

• dani n. says:

Amber is way more than her beauty. The first time she grabbed my heart&ear was with My Funny Valentine. The girl has a very great vocal gift. C’mon when Carrie won I was rooting for Bo all the way.He WA a great Singer&commanded the stage. Carrie was a robot. If Carrie can win why not Amber? OH that’s right she’s neither country nor a Christian Singer. I would be happy if Kree won she has a velvet voice. I would be happy if Candice won she has a stellar voice and plays with it very agiley. Even though I’m no fan of Christian music I’d be ok with Angie winning. She attacks that piano with fervor.She has something running through her body that seems to be more than confidence.

• WL says:

I agree with you that Amber is not just a pretty face. Jimmy hears Amber’s voice in the studio too and I think she is more impressive there for the pros – look at how Smokey reacted to her – Amber became my favorite after the auditions – But in the larger venue I think her performer skills are lacking – What’s odd to me is this is how I feel about Kree – Kree’s eyes are not alive during performances – and Amber moves awkwardly on stage – Candice blew me away this week so I think I’m going to start giving her votes next week

• deedee says:

Amber has so much going for her. She’s, like, right on the verge of having it all. I understand exactly why Jimmy is so into her. She’s so young, and beautiful, and malleable, that she can become almost anything at this point. All Amber really needs is experience and someone to believe in her and to push her. With lots of coaching and a little patience, and, of course, good material, she can become a star. The only thing I see missing in Amber is the *fire* to make it happen. If she doesn’t want it badly enough, then no amount of artist development will help. She has to fight for it, too.

• Jerry Thomas says:

I never said who would win, Imo it could be any of the 5 of them at this point. I just gave my theory on how things might go down in the next few weeks. Btw when did Angie say she just wanted to play Christian music? I hear everyone saying this but I have never heard her say it.

• Name That Tune says:

Amber is young. Hasn’t Beyonce been singing professionally since she was 15? She’s 31 now. What life experiences has she had in those 16 years? She went from a child to a mature woman. She’s a wife and a mother. Those 2 experiences alone would give her performances a depth that Amber can only guess at.
          Besides that, there are simply some technical things that Amber hasn’t developed yet. Things that she could use to change her performances from very good karaoke to unique original artistry. We see this every week. Candice has to choose sings from the same list as Amber. Candice will take a 50 year old song we are sick of, flip it on its ear and make it sound current. Amber gives a pretty straight rendering of the old standard. That speaks to her lack of experience. That’s the difference between a 19 year old and a 23 year old.

13. Natou says:

Wow, from top 3 to elimination. Did not think it will happen so quickly? Hey, I guess Idol finally got their all females final.

14. Tahoe Mike says:

Oh happy day,
    oh happy day!
    When Laz-a-ro
    finally went away…

15. mnsnowdance says:

Well, there you go…America finally got it right (and the judges saved their save for nothing) – but that is OK by me now that Lazaro is Gone, Gone, Gone! I am sure the judges thought they would need it to save Amber this week (and I would have been thankful had that been the case). I am just happy that I don’t have to listen to Lazaro perform again next week. Just to painful to watch and listen to on national TV. Thank you America!

I think we are in for one of the best Top 5 competitions in Idol history :-) Candice raised the bar for everyone this week. Let the competition begin!

16. Guitar Blue says:

Ah, but each of the girls will have fans on the blogs around the net, that will now start blasting the other girl they think is standing in the way of a win for their chosen one -

17. twnkltoze says:

Has there ever been a time in Idol history when there were 5 girls in the top 5? Pretty cool. I don’t care if they planned it that way. My predictions for elimination are Janelle, Angie, Amber and Kree. Candice ain’t playin’ anymore kids. She’s bringin’ out the big guns from here on out and it’s now a matter of the publics taste. And do I think the judges should’ve used the save? Seriously? I won’t even dignify that with an answer Slezak although I’m sure there are those out there that are sad he’s gone. I will give Lazaro credit for toughing it out these last few weeks amid all of the criticism, even mine. That took a lot of guts and for that, I admire him.

18. Sarah says:

Thank goodness gracious!!! That’s all I’ll say about that.
    Kelly was awesome and I loved her interaction with Mariah at the end of her performance.
    Also, I think that it should gave been Janelle in the bottom two instead of Amber.

19. HitTheGroundRunning says:

Feel a bit for Lazaro.
    It was his time to go though.

20. HitTheGroundRunning says:

Kelly was pretty awesome. Great to see her S1 start again too.

21. dj says:

I think there should be one week each season (maybe top 5 week would be good) when the voters get to vote off a judge or a mentor.

I am ok with any of the remaining contestants taking the crown. I’m a little cranky at Amber for dissing Slezak on twitter, but even so, she has had many good performances, although I didn’t like her Beyonce. I also feel like she needs an injection of humility. Each contestant has had “moments,” as Randy likes to say, so I will be ok with whoever wins at this point. I just hope that the producers can stop manipulating now that they have their guaranteed girl winner and let the judges just be honest. And I hope Mariah can embrace some brevity.

• LOLOL says:

What did Amber say to Slezak?

• dj says:

Michael Slezak ‏@MichaelSlezakTV 3 Apr
        I’m calling 911 to report whoever dressed Amber Holcomb in that mess.

Amber HolcombVerified account ‏@AmberAI12 7 Apr
        @MichaelSlezakTV uhmmm I LOVE ALL MY OUTFITS I’VE WORN..who are you again?…exactly.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

Looking forward to that interview.

• deedee says:

LOL! I have a feeling Amber’s been told ‘who Michael is again… exactly’ by now. I imagine there will be a good chuckle over their little twitter tiff during the interview, with Amber flashing her million dollar smile, and everyone forgiving her. Heck, I’ve already forgiven her because she’s been so supportive of Lazaro (and for some reason that’s important to me right now).

22. Cheryl says:

It was definitely time for Lazaro to go. One more painful rendition of any song would have forced me to grab a blindfold and some earplugs. Poor guy. I felt sorry that they dragged him through this for so long. Candace for the win!

23. danna says:

Epidemic? I hope you’re satisfied , Americas big problems is gone, no, apparently Americas big problem isn’t Korea but a young guy who went to a show that claims to make people dreams come true yet the show used him and turned to a big nightmare. If before the show he had to deal with small amount of reactions now he needs to deal with all the American people. Let make it clear Lazaro shouldn’t be in the top 20 in the first place. The judges made him pass only because of his life story and his problem, maybe to get a tear or 2 from our “loving nation “. Lazaro or any other person with disability doesn’t need your pity; he didn’t need their fake compliments only to have been butchered by them later on because the judges made him face singers that are out of his league. They used him lied to him and then made him a target for their jokes and then to Americas big joke. Instead of going against the judges and against this show people targeted all of their hate at Lazaro. And for what? Most of the people won’t remember the finalist’s names few months from now. After so many seasons of American idol one would think that people would understand that winning or having the most beautiful voice on the show doesn’t guarantee that you’ll be successful after the show. This shows doesn’t matter it’s only entertainment, no Aretha is ever going to come out of this show for sure. Yet your insulting words does matter because this guy, who did nothing wrong but going after his dreams, would need to live with this insults for the rest of his life. I just hope that he’ll be strong enough to deal with all of this, if he won’t be it should be on the judges conscience, and on the haters conscience as well, since once again you have been used as a tool of a cynical greedy TV show.

• Jerry Thomas says:

Everyone who signs up for Idol knows and should expect that they will get harsh and cruel input from judges and the viewers, at least they should know by now but it is a chance worth taking. If the contestant has some big kahuna’s and the ability to listen and learn on the way through they could come out on top,Like in life, the weak will get chewed up and spit out

• Chris says:

I agree that the many nasty comments about Lazaro in this column were way OTT. He definitely deserved to go, but the cruelty and the obvious pleasure taken in hurling insults about his singing remind me of a little kid picking wings off a butterfly. Tone it down, you know? There’s no need for such sustained virulence.

• LeahKittyS says:

I would so thumbs-up this if I had the option. Yes he was the weakest singer, yes he may have needed a little attitude adjustment, but there’s criticizing performances and then there’s being downright nasty. Which too many people became.

• Scarlett says:

I agree. That people can be so unbelievably cruel over a reality show is disheartening.

• dj says:

And the worst part is, the person is known for those bad performances for the rest of their lives. They never get to live it down. Look how many people called Lazaro “Lazanjaya” or some other combination of his name with Sanjaya’s, for example.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

It’s easy to get on him for doing this or that, but it’s easy to do that from your couch! Imagine 10 million million people watching your every move through some hacked TV/computer camera and putting you on the spotlight. You have to give someone a bit of slack when they are getting all that thrown at them.

24. syb says:

Well that was anti-climactic. LOL. Now we have a top 5 that features 5 who should on paper have reasonable shots at the finale. I am not convinced the save has expired. I think Nigel was keeping it in his jacket just in case. Not once this season has Ryan said it had to be used before top 5. If Candice or Amber or Kree hit the skids next week, I’ll bet my bottom dollar, we’ll have one of those “unprecedented shocker” moments–i.e. she of the judges’ Garden of Idol Eden shall be saved. Janell is the only one who I think is off list.

25. Johnny says:

I hope Laz declines the interview with Slezak ijs. After seeing how he and one of his own idol alum family treated him, I think it best not to have to watch Slez try to look like he gives a u know what in the slightest. Maybe Slez gets off on picking at these kids and then interviewing them as if he doing them a favor. I like how Amber responded to his trash talk about her wardrobe lol. Wonder why he never discussed THAT exchange in his blogs lol. Anyhoo, if I was Laz, every trash talker turned best friend interviewer had better just let me decline because I would hand them their azzes for sure if I got forced to sit and chat with haters. I’d have nothin to lose right? OH and let this blog sites fave Candice win the Ford if they still give it away so she can park it in one of the two big tunnels on her big old man-face. Not enough people will contribute to her success honestly win or lose just like they don’t for Mellinda Doolittle, and I actually liked Melinda until I now see she’s not really nice like I thought. So now I’m like screw it all. Yea Laz wasn’t the best but he is still a doggone human being for cryin out loud!

• mamamitzvah says:

bs’d
      And yet you spend time reading over 300 comments, watch the show and invest enough to watch the interviews and read the blog. You are entitles to your opinion, but seriously, dude, you make absolutely no sense. I think people who read a blog, say only negative things about the blogger and spend so much time to try to “retaliate” for some “injustice by the blogger” need to get a life. I’m just saying :)

• Jessica says:

So you root for Lazaro and post “he’s a human” but put down Candice. Your opinion is void.

• Tahoe Mike says:

I can think of few things more uncomfortable than listening to ten minutes of Lazanjaya being interviewed. It’s like he speaks in old Entish, and it takes a l, l, looonng time to say anything in old Entish.

• Luke says:

Your whole post was about people treating others poorly while you say the ugliest things I’ve read yet on these blogs about Candice based purely on her looks. How do not recognize that? Look up the definition of hypocrite. That would be you.

26. John says:

And now the competition begins.

27. marie says:

Agree with MS that Jimmy’s comment that Kree needs to show more emotion was pretty absurd in light of her excellent performances Wednesday night. Lift that baseball cap off your ears, Jimmy!

28. ali427 says:

The best part (besides the voters getting it right, finally) was Nicki didn’t speak. AND she had a terrible night–Amber was in the bottom two, and Mariah got all that love and attention from Kelly! Loved watching her stank face throughout the whole show.

Thought Candice and Amber sounded great together.

29. Mary says:

Thank you America. I didn’t think it was possible but finally they let him out of his misery.
    has it ever happen that the top five are females? I know TPTB wanted it, bit rarely do they have it go their way. I don’t know how the rest of the season will go down, might be a little boring, but I will be happy with any of them winning. I have my favorites but all of them have strengths. It looks like Kree has always been in the top so I think that might be your winner, but anything can happen.

30. Jessica says:

Yes he is gone!!! He really showed his true character tonight-and it was ugly! Yeah wave off Jimmy and enjoy the tour-hope he saves up his money b/c he’s going to need it. Is it horrible but I feel really bad for those who have to interview him. Anyway so glad the saved wasn’t used! This is a great top 5! I hope that Candice and Kree stay on top to make it to the finale. Anything can change though with Angie at piano, Amber stepping it up, and or Janelle having another switch it all beautiful arrangement.

31. tdoug says:

I haven’t been able to watch the whole show the past two weeks because the Lazaro debacle, both his singing and his skewering by the judges, made me so uncomfortable. Now I can watch again without feeling nauseated. Yay!

32. In it to win it, dawg! says:

Candice’s Love Song has over 500,000 views which is amazing because yesterday afternoon it was only at 30K views, so the majority of those came in a 24 hour period. I just hope Candice has not peaked too soon and “has no where to go but down”. I know the judges are really trying to keep Amber in the competition, she just needs more experience. My worse nightmare is that Candice meets the fate of Joshua Ledet and Melinda Doolittle and get eliminated at the three spot. If she makes the final two, I will be cool with that and hope she can pull in the title. If the final three are Candice, Kree, and Angie, which I predict just based on youtube views and twitter followers, I will not be surprised if Angie gets one spot in the finals and Candice or Kree gets booted. Like many people I believe the Candice/Kree final will be the best thing since Rueben and Clay!

33. In it to win it, dawg! says:

BTW, that comment by Jimmy about Lazaro was unnecessary and cruel. Everone knows he was out of his league at this point. I had no problem having him in the top 10 and thought he would be gone in the 8-10 slot. The first three to go in no particular order should have been Lazaro, Curtis, and Paul. I would have liked to see Curtis one or two more weeks.

34. Cat says:

Kelly clarkson should sing I know u won’t her cover of the Carrie underwood song next time on idol. Google it unplugged live version. Case closed on how she is one of the greatest singers ever. she would’ve made mariah glitter bomb her and Keith bow Down too. And the contestants would’ve learned exactly what they need to do when showing emotion interpreting a song and making it your own. Candice needs no help In this regard.

35. Lorelei says:

I stopped watching three weeks ago because Lazaro was so unbearable he made the entire show seem amateurish. (I kept up by reading/watching recaps.) This is my least favorite season.

36. Damarco says:

I am glad that Lazaro is gone but more for his sake than ours. I don’t think Lazaro is the worst singer in AI history. I think he has given the worst performances. Good Lord, all of Season 9’s contestants (except Crystal Bowersox) had less talent than Laz has.

No, Lazaro’s probem was never identified by the judges or Jimmy or anyone talking about the show. Here is a young man who used music as an escape a painful life of rejection and mockery. Suddenly, this solitary treasure of his must be shared with the entire world, and then critiqued and laid bare for the world. This is not an individual who has been included, felt embraced by the world, or treasured in any way. Then he’s in the spotlight, and that experience is always quite different from how it looks. Lazaro’s voice was shutting down on him. He could have sung those song easily, especially the Bacharach-David composition. He was so cowed by the whole experience that he was too much inside his head to let himself go.

I actually thought Lazaro’s “Feeling Good” was quite good, and showed what a much-relieved person he was when he realized that his time under the microscope was over. He was indeed feeling good. I agree that Lazaro lacked the technical understanding of singing and needs voice coaching. Mariah explained it to him the best (which is the first and last time anyone will say that about her usually rambling remarks). Unless you have been in similar shoes, you just don’t know how much all the hurt and rejection adds up, and so criticism of any kind is pushed over a threshold. I don’t think Lazaro deserved any slack for any of this, but it would have been great if SOMEONE involved with this show–or writing about–could have identified what I feel was obvious to anyone with an ounce of sensitivity.

As for the others, I am with Jimmy. I don’t get what America is missing with Amber! Every week her beautfiul voice paired with her personal beauty creates for one of the most entertaining performances. After Candice, Amber is the best–yes, better than the overrated Kree, whom I love but whom I find less lustrous. Janelle is the filler for the girls and should go next, and I just don’t think Angie would be as highly regarded if it weren’t for the fact she gets a ton of credit for being so beautiful but not being shallow. Everything Angie does has a pageant feel to me but no one ever calls her on it. Evidently human insight is not a prerequisite for being a judge.

• mamamitzvah says:

bs’d
      Well said and I agree with you. I blame the people who voted for him as much as I do “TPTB”. I must reiterate what I said earlier. If there is any kindness left in this world, someone who cares about him will see to it that his hearing is checked. He seemed to be watching everyone when they spoke to him and sometimes his responses were so generic he could not have heard the question or remark addressed to him. When Mariah covered her mouth, for some odd reason, he was totally lost. Where the heck was his family? And now nobody has an excuse to phone it in :)

• dani n. says:

Spot on Damarco. I am an Amber fan. And too don’t get why people aren’t connecting with her voice. She won me over with MyFunny Valentine. To be honest I love her voice and her beauty. But since MFV my heart hasn’t been tweaked. Yet I root for her. And Candice&Kree are favorites and II even like the pageant queen at her most unpagentry at the piano
      SO this year has been more a talent show for me than a competition. I will be sad if bet goes next. Not so much because Jenelle’s perkiness irritates me but because I want Amber to have another incredibly beautiful moment like she did w MFV

• Meme says:

Amber’s version of MFV was extraordinary, and I am one of her biggest fans! I could listen to her voice all day long.

• Mafs95 says:

I loved My Funny Valentine but what made me love Amber was actually I Believe In You And Me. I don’t know… the way she sang the falsetto, then a big note and she ends the performance with a huge smile while she sings “meeeeeeeeeeee”… that was beautiful!! I think she deserves Top 3 at least!! But if she reaches Top 4, I won’t be too mad :)

37. Chris says:

I’m glad Lazaro is gone, but geez… give the guy a break. Why keep kicking him? He’s off the show. That’s what a lot of us wanted. He was good enough to make it on air, which is way more than the vast majority of auditioners did. So Randy threw him a few kind words. What is wrong with that? I’m glad he did. Telling Lazaro that he sucked and deserved to leave would have been cruel. Is that you wanted?

The best five are left. That’s the real point here, rather than blasting Lazaro a million more times when he’s GONE.

• Meme says:

The really sad thing is that Lazaro should have never been on the show to begin with. There are all kinds of people with sad stories who can’t sing well enough to ever sell a song. He was not good enough to make it on air, and I would hate to believe that there were not at least a few great male voices out there who would have loved to live their dream!

38. GMom says:

I would LOVE to see Kris Allen on the show since he did win season 8. I saw him in concert in October and he was awesome! He has a beautiful voice, is funny, and
    just adorable. So talented! Take a listen to his Thank You, Camillia album on iTunes. It is WONDERFUL! You won’t be disappointed! (and I am not related to him!) :)

• I agree with seeing Kris Allen on the show. That would be great. Scotty Mcreery makes my ears bleed ,but Kelly Clarkson is a phenom. Her voice is so commercial and good.Amber and Candice duet was really good. i think former contestants would make beter judges and the show would be more interesting. Hoping for Adam to perform please.

• The World says:

Kris Allen will never be back on Idol because they are ashamed that he actually won over Adam Lambert.

• LeahKittyS says:

Both of them were back to sing last year; Kris sang “The Vision of Love,” and Adam sang “Never Close Our Eyes.” Your argument is invalid.

39. ChrissieK says:

I don’t care what the gender, I just like to hear good singin’ and have a good winner that could possibly go on to have a really profitable career. The chaff has been separated and we are left right now with the wheat and aren’t we lucky!!

40. ATM says:

Am I right or am I mis-remembering- didn’t Adam Lambert do that song that Lasaro sang? I remember someone singing it and me loving it so as soon as he started I yelled NO NOT THAT SONG IT BELONGS TO SOMEONE ELSE!

• LeahKittyS says:

If you’re referring to “Feeling Good,” then yes, Adam totally blew us away with it back in Season 8. Yet that was the week he landed in the Bottom 2 (too many people assumed he was safe, I guess).

• Meme says:

I don’t think anyone … and I mean anyone could compare to Adam Lambert and his performances on AI. He will become the biggest selling Internationally-famous Idol ever. When Lazaro started singing that song, I remembered Adam’s stellar performances each week. That’s what it’s all about.

41. The World says:

I can’t believe Lazzaro is gone! I’m NEVER WATCHING IDOL AGAIN!

42. dani n. says:

Well personally I’d love to hear and see Elliott Yamin on Idol. On his season’s finale he tore up Burt Bacharach’s A HouseIs Not A Home-care the portion of it he got to sing. They should have let him sing the whole song.

43. Don Scaturro says:

Lazaro was the correct person to be let go on March 7th. O wait, last night was April 11th. There were three others who were let go too early. America, get your stuff together or stop the public voting. This is not a “who had a more difficult life” contest.

44. Guitar Blue says:

Even those who did not make the top 10, but had 2 or 3 National TV exposures through the show, will get a higher price-tag to perform at events — than before the show. Some friends of mine sometimes work with bookings in the area, and ex-idol contestants can usually get more than the average band – because the name and association with Idol will help a little for crowd draw or ticket sales. ………..

After the tour, there will be certain types of venues that will be very receptive to contestants from the top 10, including Lazaro. He is not the only singer that’s been in the music field, that has a stutter in normal speech. ……………..

The top 5 girls have already had many weeks of National exposure at this point —— if they are a good investment for a label and/or booking-talent Agency, they will have plenty of action after they complete their tour contract. Winning gives them an automatic contract and promo, and 2nd will likely also get a nice contract. 3rd to 5th won’t be overlooked if a label thinks they can make some money on them.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

Label cuts and runs on them awfully quickly if they were not the season winner though, sometimes before even releasing a single of a single one of the songs on an album that they wrote….

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

but yeah still better than nothing

• Nephtalia says:

Top 5 is made of the best top 5 of the season. What a treat!! Angie is of course my weakness. I have been listening to ‘Anyone who had a heart’ on repeat. So much now, my 7 weeks old baby calm down instinctively to it. It is the first time, my favorite Idol iTunes songs are even better than the live performance. Skylar/Joshua/Pia/Lauren/Siobhan not so much! But, knowing that I will also have Amber, Janelle, Candice and Kree to watch for the next 5 weeks. My Idol life is made. Now, if Angie’s fanbase can wake up and get her back to top 2. Please cause my baby’s peace depend on it! #jk

• Mafs95 says:

Funny that you liked Angie’s “Anyone Who Had A Heart”. I liked it as well, but only when I would close my eyes and just listen to her voice. The only issue with that performance was the fact that I didn’t feel the connection… her eyes don’t shine singing those songs as when she sings spiritual or religious songs like “Love Came Down”, “Never Gone” or her original song.

• Nephtalia says:

I usually always buy all my favorites’ Idol iTunes. Sometimes, I am unimpressed with the quality of their recording. That was the case with Joshua and Skylar last year. There was too much noise. It helped on Idol stage to create ‘moments’, but in recording it’s too much. But, Angie’s iTunes are even better than her performances. Mariah mentioned how beautiful her tone was at her audition, and it really shows in her recording. But, I agree that performance wise, she needed more passion and could have a bigger moment with ‘Anyone who had a heart’.

45. billh says:

really feel sad for what happened to Lazaro . . . Slezak’s comment about the armour going up, so true, you could just see it . . . the innocence gone. someone who has lived on the outside of society with a communication disability like that . . . then the hope that he would actually be accepted . . . and loved . . . and then have that snatched away. in such a public way. I’m not sure if anyone can really know the depth of that pain and alienation. my sincere prayers for Lazaro that he can use this as a huge growing experience and with the love and support of his friends and family . . . can come out the other side a better, wiser, stronger person. Vaya con Dios, Lazaro. Godspeed, brother.

46. brandon69 says:

did anyone notice the very different reactions from the judges after Kelly and Scotty’s performances? When the cowboy sang, they were all like “ok. we have to applaud. we must pretend we liked it!!” After Kelly sang her song, their faces reflected a far more genuine joy,like they were reeeeeally impressed! Perhaps these two performances can be sad reminders of the decline of the show?

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

If Kelly had been on S10 they’d have tried to bus her because she wouldn’t have been their chosen country duo!

47. Tazz says:

Honestly, Janelle should have been in the bottom 2. Amber had a great night (although “Love one Top” was a bit lackluster compared to her first performance) and should not have been there. It was time for Lazaro to go, and I actually agree with Jimmy’s “10 out of 6″ comment.

• Mafs95 says:

Janelle wasn’t in the Bottom 2 because she was in the previous week and because Nicki gave her harsh criticism and so her fans felt she was in danger. The fact that Candice did brilliantly didn’t help Amber, either.

48. Rick says:

So i guess there is no Lazaro interview?

49. Celestite says:

Bye, bye American Idol! You got rid of the only interesting contestant, so I won’t be watching anymore. There is no way I will voluntarily listen to these boring girls screech their way through the songs they ruin. I am not buying any of these second rate backing singers they try to flog as “artists”. In a way I’m happy, because the show itself is excruciatingly painful to sit through. To start with it’s too long, with way too much filler. I hope it gets cancelled.

50. Nephtalia says:

I have never seen a more scripted Idol episode than the one on Wednesday. Here’s how it went. “Angie will be around at least until top 3 and have a big fanbase, let’s give her ‘constructive critics’ to show how great we are at judging, this way when we say to Amber she is the best ever, America will believe us and will vote for her”. Or let’s make up not putting Candice in our top 3 by giving her double standing ovation and calling her performance the best in Idol history. Then, lets make sure Kree will be the Idol winner by never giving her a negative feedback all season just like they did for Scotty Mc Creery.
    Let’s throw Janelle under the bus cause we need her votes for Kree. I really feel at this point in the competition where they are more evenly match, it all depends who the producers want to advance and who they want to go away. I feel like Nigel wants a Kree/Candice final with Amber top 3. I am happy they figure out a way to get their way cause it would have been a Lazaro/Angie final for sure. Anyway from now on, I am expecting standing O for Candice and Amber, Negative feedback for Janelle (will be tone down cause they see it cause the reverse effect)! Lukewarm to negative feedback for Angie. No standing O but amazing feedback for Kree. If we have Candice/Kree final, then Idol producers need to work on a election campaign cause they have mastered America’s psyches.

• Mafs95 says:

I won’t say there is no manipulation because it’s almost evident that there is but let’s be honest, those two girls in particular (Candice and Kree) have everythig a contestant needs to achieve Top 2: they are amazing singers, but they also know how to connect with their songs and make them believable and (that’s always a plus!) they have great personalities! That’s what people love… genuine singers/artists.
      I’m not saying the other 3 girls are not great talent, because that’s not true at all. But they all lack something that Kree and Candice have: Amber doesn’t connect properly with the lyrics of the songs, Janelle doesn’t have vocals as strong as the other girls and Angie is sometimes a bit overdramatic and hasn’t that much consistency (even though she is amazing when she finds her niche in a song, that’s why I actually believe she’ll be the best recording artist).
      Part of me believes that the producer’s “slight” manipulations helped these girls a lot, but another part tells me that their talents speak louder than anything else. I personally want a finale with Candice (she’s my absolute favourite this season) and either Kree, Angie or Amber (despite thinking Kree is overall the best singer and performer, but when Angie and Amber get it right, they REALLY get it right in my opinion).