Ratings: NBC's Ready for Love DOA

ready for love ratings nbcNBC awoke this morning to heartbreaking news: Its new reality romp Ready for Love flatlined in the ratings Tuesday night.

Despite a potent Voice lead-in, the two-hour premiere of the cheeseball dating series drew an anemic (and last place) 3.8 million viewers and a 1.6 rating in the 18-49 demo.

RELATED | TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard: What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s Coming Back?

On CBS, NCIS was down but still dominant with 16.7 million viewers and a 2.6 in the demo (off roughly 16 percent from last original outing for a season low), while NCIS: Los Angeles (13.9 million/2.6) was flat and bubble drama Golden Boy (7.9 million/1.5) edged up slightly.

Elsewhere, Fox’s comedy combo of New Girl (4.2 million/2.2) and The Mindy Project  (2.8 million/1.5) held steady, ABC’s Splash (5.2 million/1.2) hit a new low, and The CW’s Hart of Dixie (1.2 million/0/6) matched its last original episode.

1. Bombshell says:

They may have well left smash where it was with those ratings! Give it a proper send off. It got better by the episode this season.

• Robert Taylor says:

They are probably going to move “Hannibal” in sooner rather than later.

• soso says:

I too are hoping that NBC come to their senses and air Hannibal Tuesdays. They might end up moving The Voice to 9pm to lead in to Hannibal at 10pm. It’s frankly a 10pm show. But serves them right. Fashion Star was flopping last year too and they opted for a reality show again!

• David4 says:

Common sense on NBC? I wouldn’t count on it. For some reason they are rerunning Hannibal tonight. However Hannibal is the worst show possible for Thursdays at 10pm after a night of dead comedies and up against Scandal and whatever cop show is on CBS.

If I was NBC I would have had Hannibal on Mondays after The Voice, then have some reality crap of comedies on Tuesday at 8, The Voice at 9 and Revolution at 10.

• Elena says:

I watched Hannibal twice, but I just couldn’t take the violence. Never tried Ready for Love. It looked too cheesy.

• eridapo says:

Sorry to tell you.. Smash was doing a lot worse than Ready for Love..

• Mike says:

Smash never had The Voice as its lead in(this season).

• eridapo says:

True. But if you look at the common hour (10PM) Ready for Love beat Smash’s ratings. 1.3 at 10Pm and 1.2 at 1030PM. Smash scored only a .9 its last Tuesday airing.

• Mike says:

…but this was the premiere episode!!

• eridapo says:

Smash February Premiere numbers per half hour:
          Smash 1.3 5.21/ 1.1 4.48/ 1.1 4.22/ 1.0 3.96

So… Just looking at the common half hours, Ready For Love’s premiere ( 1.3/ 1.2) still beat Smash’s season premiere numbers (1.1/1.0)

• Et. Al says:

But that was without the Voice lead in right? Didn’t smash get some awful lead-in like the Biggest Loser?

• eridapo says:

The Voice lead in will only boost the first half hour of a show. By the second half hour, the boost is all but gone. Since Ready for Love was a 2 hour premiere, the second hour would not have seen any boost from the Voice… If you look at the halves for RFL, they were 2.1 5.37/ 1.6 3.72/ 1.3 3.24/ 1.2 3.05. Clearly the 9PM hour benefited from the Voice, but the second hour held above a 1.2 which was higher than Smash’s second hour on its premiere..

• Mike says:

No The voice Lead in, it lead in was either Biggest Loser or New Normal, which in on way get The Voice numbers.

• eridapo says:

The Voice lead in would not matter by 10PM. If anyone watch the Voice at 8PM, they might have stayed for an hour afterward to check out the show. By the second hour if they didn’t like what they were watching, they would have switched the channel.

• Jack says:

Mike, it doesn’t matter. Even if Smash was higher than RFL it’s ratings were still crap.

2. David says:

Good. Serves them right for abandoning Smash in favor of more brain dead “reality” shows.

3. Mellie says:

Is anybody surprised? Bring Smash back in, ditch Ready for Death.

4. wrstlgirl says:

Is anyone really surprised by this.

5. Rrrrrr says:

They should have premiered Hannibal in that timeslot. Stupid NBC always making the worst decisions. On the other hand, this is a huge vote of confedence in Revolution, right? It proves that it’s not just getting numbers because its after the Voice.

6. Alienate says:

Does this mean we may get a third season of “Love in the Wild” this summer?

7. No one cares. We get enough of lifestyles of the rich and famous watching the Obamas golf and vacation.

8. strachpa says:

“Hey, I dont bail! I’m still watching Smash” -Liz Lemon

9. Teag says:

Oh my goodness

10. popgoesme says:

That’s because it looked horrible and cheesy. Who cares about how 3 rich and good looking guys can’t seem to find someone to date? I’ve got enough issues with my own lack of a love life.

11. I feel kinda bad about this, only because I love The Plain White T’s and Tim Lopez so much. At least he already admitted he’s still with the girl he picked, so if it gets cancelled, I won’t have to wonder.

• Tammy says:

I watched out of curiosity and nothing else on (hubby out of town so certain shows I can’t watch without him too!) ….. I now adore Tim Lopez and I’m curious what happens with him. Not sure about the other guys. But oh was it cheesy with the lights and game show stage setting…. just couldn’t get into all that.

• big cheddar says:

I read he was worried about losing his anonymity once the show aired. Given the ratings, looks like that won’t be a problem.

12. Steph says:

The Voice is messing with my NCIS…
    It may also have to do with the time of year and the break it took too.

13. Betty says:

Mindy Project and New Girl were great last night. I really enjoyed them!

14. Gillian says:

Hart of Dixie was awesome last night. So glad it is back!

15. dan says:

Ready for Love was kind of interesting, but the formula seems too complicated, bouncing between one of these bachelors to the next. I’ll probably keep watching, unless they pull it.

16. AnnM says:

Wow, what a surprise. NBC launches ANOTHER loser reality show and it fails dismally–I’m totally shocked–nah, not really. Why doesn’t NBC just change it’s name to Bravo II and be done with it. What a bunch of incompetent idiots…

17. Boiler says:

Its about time people ignored these dumb reality shows. Now if only Splash would take a norse dive!!
    Watch New Girl and Mindy, they are both god

18. Jack says:

Thank god! I’m soooooo tired of these crap reality dating shows!

19. I tried watching Ready for Love but gave up after the first hour. Who in the world actually thinks that Bill and Juliana Rancid are “America’s Favorite Married Couple”?????? Bill needs to stop mugging to the camera and tell his wife to maybe eat a cookie or ten. The show is just every dating reality crapfest cliche rolled up into one. It makes Millionaire Matchmaker look like Downton Abbey.

20. Chris says:

I’m not surprised. I’m not a fan of all the reality shows currently on. But I have to admit I was curious about how this would change the format. Then I wisely thought, why am I interested in watching another 2-hours of reality television. The networks are clogging the airwaves with inexpensive and tabloid level television -I’ve had enough. I’m tuning more and more to cable and watching scripted fare.

21. Sue Thompson says:

I was so disappointed they moved Smash for the drivel of another reality dating show. Smash has an excellent cast, great story, it is awesome and NBC doesn’t do anything to promote it or raise awareness.

Network television is a huge disappointment!

22. jsswite says:

The Bachelor and The Bachelorette are two too many dating realty show already.

23. eridapo says:

Per Marc Berman…

Splash 1.1 4.97/ 1.2 5.36
    DWTS 1.8 11.07 / 2.1 12.56
    BOP 1.5 9.44/ 1.3 8.69

Voice 3.8 12.14/ 4.6 13.76
    ReadyLove 2.1 5.37/ 1.6 3.72/ 1.3 3.24/ 1.2 3.05

NCIS 2.6 16.36/ 2.7 16.98
    NCISLA 2.7 14.11/ 2.6 13.77
    GB 1.6 8.26/ 1.4 7.52

HOD .6 1.33/ .5 1.15

Hells 1.8 4.37/ 1.7 4.42

24. Daniel says:

NCIS had a 2.7 in the demo.

25. Maple says:

The only show with a good dating track record was Love in the Wild!!!

26. Caro says:

The only decent show on NBC is SMASH! Everything else is garbage! NBC had a good show in SMASH but they hired a bad showrunner. Ready to Love might have been a decent for those who like reality TV but NBC couldn’t cast or execute. The problem lied with NBC execs – they should fire them all and start fresh! Or at least force them to follow comments on Facebook to see what people think!

27. Dave says:

Amazing that a “bubble show” on CBS would be the highest-rated scripted show if it was on NBC …

28. Babybop says:

Happy for Mindy Project! Steady is better than falling. Ha ha. Hope Cougar Town is going strong too.

29. angry bird says:

LOL at NBC, even Univision beats them

30. Shellie says:

So the Bachelor is super cheesy but somehow addictive. I think it was the game show atmosphere of Ready for Love that turned me off. It was a cheese rocket to the moon. They touted how “Real” this was, but that was a ridiculous statement. I think they should have taken out the audience and had them meet the girls one on one first. Maybe blindfold the guy if they were so worried about them making judgements on looks. And probably the worst sin was that it was just plain boring. Oh so boring. I changed the channel to House Hunters and forgot I was watching “Ready for Love”.

31. Hipper says:

The thing is, are those numbers actually bad for NBC? They seem pretty on par with what NBC shows (sans ‘The Voice’) usually get anyway. It’s just replacing one show with another with a lesser cost.

32. Joe says:

I see all the promos for the Eva longoria produced ready for love ” payed off” I was getting sick of seeing them

33. josh says:

HAHAHAHAH what a garbage network

34. PutAForkInThem says:

I can’t believe the argument on comments here is SMASH vs. THIS new stupid reality show.
    BOTH are not worthy.
    Kill them both.

35. Lena says:

Did anyone actually this this show was good? I mean the commercials alone were horrendous and hard to watch. Also I think ppl are finally getting sick of dating shows. Look how well reality shows like Face Off and The Voice are doing this yr and that’s because they showcase actual talent and not drama and looks.

36. oz says:

This was a gargantuan un-watchable disaster ( I tried.. tuned in and then quickly out…DOA…next!

37. Queerbec says:

What does NBC have left to air? Are they going to back into the Universal vault and start airing old movies? Maybe have a different talk show every night at 10: Jay Leno and Carson Daly are going to need jobs next year at this time, why not start them now. Or just have Hoda and Kathy Lee televise their train wreck at night. Maybe a weekly show in which Ann Curry, Jay and Carson can diss the NBC schedule from under an old Trailways. I’d like to have seen SMASH make it, but when its not doing musical numbers, the show is insufferable. Maybe they’ll need so much product, they’ll actually renew The New Normal.

38. Linda says:

I quickly turned the channel when I saw that it was Bill and Giuliana Rancic as the hosts! Seriously, those two will do anything to be in front of the camera, including hosting a cheesy reality dating show! So glad it got the axe!

39. Josh Demby says:

At this point I have no idea what NBC can do to improve their ratings figures. With the exception of The Voice and Revolution (and to a certain extent Grimm), they cannot seem to find a show that appeals to a broad swath of viewers. Ok Ready for Love looked like a stinker from the promos, but I’m getting the distinct feeling that people are starting to assume poor quality simply because it’s on NBC. This is no longer about NBC making better development choices, they have to revamp their whole brand if they want people to care again. It’s a long way back from retooling your whole brand, but it can be done, does NBC have the guts to do a tear down and rebuild?

40. They need to just announce the renewal of Parenthood already.

41. Adrianna says:

I honestly had high hopes for the show. But, after watching a few minutes of it, I thought it was just too complicated. The Bachelor is very simple. One hot guy and 25 girls duke it out to see who “wins the prize”. This show has three hotties, three matchmakers, and about 50 girls, and then there’s Eva Longoria, Bill Rancic and his wife. There’s just too much going on. After a few minutes of watching, I already knew that this show won’t last. But, I will tune in for the eye candy if I happen to be at home on Tuesday evening.

42. Tarc says:

Bye bye total drek!

43. Shelly gallegos says:

The shows not that great. It’s suppose to be about finding real love; however, the Judges choose the bottom 3 girls, then ultimately one of those 3 has to go home? How is that helping Tim find true love? He should be choosing who Is in the bottom three not someone else. It’s about him finding his match not someone else telling him who his match should be. Lame. The show doesn’t match the point of actually “finding true love”. I also don’t like the lowering box idea either. The show has potential, some things need to be fixed. I’ll give it a few more chances before I stop watching .

44. Lexi-Drew says:

this show is better than the bachelor or bachelorette. ITS SO GOOD

45. Ready for love let lacks structures and it settings are it’s all over the place and you can’t really understand what’s going on. On the other hand Smash which has an objective and shows a little bit more structure in the storyline, it seems like it would do better. The Voice is a fantastic show within itself because they have more well known stars that are headliners to all age viewers and they make it fun to watch.

46. Jess says:

Ready For Love is a disaster!

47. Jess says:

I mean a complete disaster!

48. Brenda Stahl says:

I’m not bailing on Smash either, I’m still watching, that’s to dam funny that Ready For Love went to the TV’s “graveyard”!! they can move Smash back to Tuesday nights?!