MTV Cancels Buckwild on Heels of Tragedy: 'This Was Not an Easy Decision'

buckwild cancelledMTV has cancelled Buckwild in the wake of the tragic death of castmember Shain Gandee, TVLine has confirmed.

The reality series — which averaged a potent 3.2 million viewers during its rookie season — was midway through production of Season 2 when the plug was pulled.

Gandee died of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning last week while off-roading in West Virginia.

“We love the cast and the show and this was not an easy decision, but given Shain’s tragic passing and essential presence on the show, we felt it was not appropriate to continue without him,” MTV noted in a statement.

On Sunday, MTV will air Buckwild: WV to the NYC, “which was shot before production had begun on Season 2. With the support of his parents, Dale and Loretta Gandee, we will run the tribute following a day of programming dedicated to Shain in which we will air the entire first season of Buckwild.”

News of the show’s demise was first reported by TMZ.

Thoughts? Did MTV make the right call?

1. Elyse says:

I’m glad they canceled it… its an awful show.

2. amy says:

All their shows are awful, too bad the whole channel can’t just go away

• Zach says:

Teen Wolf and Awkward are probably the only decent shows on MTV.

• Elyse says:

I love Teen Wolf and Awkward!

• Aaron says:

I loved season 1 of Awkward, but they totally lost me during season 2. I loved the voice-over in S1 and in S2 they made her react facially to what was being said in the voice-over and I just HATED it. Maybe S3 will be better…

• Eric says:

SERIOUSLY? Teen Wolf and Awkward? Those are the most stupid shows on MTV!!! BUCKWILD was interesting and normal.

• Steven says:

Teen Wolf and Awkward are awesome! And Bo Burnham’s new show looks really funny.

• Rrrrrr says:

Awkward. is honestly one of the best half-hour shows on TV so if you aren’t watching it I seriously recommend. They have the entire first two seasons on Netflix until season 3 premieres on the 16 I think so you should give it a shot.

3. Ed says:

And just to think that, 30 years ago, MTV actually stood for “MUSIC” television. What a joke it is now.

• dude says:

Hahahaha you’re the first person to point that out!

• Jay says:

Yeah, not to beat up on you, but that point has been made to death. I don’t really get the issue though considering MTV has so many sister channels which cumulatively play a ton of music. If music rated, that’s all they’d be playing but they are a business. Just look at the transformation of channels like TLC (The Learning Channel), etc.

4. Georgia Madman says:

For MTV, its takes a death to kill a bad show. How proud MTV executives must be of themselves.

• Rrrrrr says:

What are you talking about? Yes, the show was bad, but it was a ratings success for MTV. So yes, it took a death for them to cancel the show because there was absolutely no logical reason to cancel it before (just so we’re clear, the show being bad was not a logical reason to kill the show, because it still brought in viewers [to be clearer, viewers = ads = money])

5. Let us take a moment to grieve… And I mean Shain, not the show.

6. SarahFW says:

I’m surprised that MTV had the tact to do that. Maybe this will be the death knell for these types of shows, but I doubt it.

7. LaurenMC says:

GOOD! Besides Shain’s death, I think two of the other cast members have been arrested recently. Hot mess of a show. But like a field of weeds, another trashy reality show exploiting the antics of low class 20-somethings will pop up in it’s place. Who will they stereotype next? They’ve already covered country folk, white trash teen moms, Italians in NJ and Spanish kids in Harlem. Maybe cowboys/cowgirls living near the Mexican border? This way they can stereotype two groups at once!

• Bianca says:

“Field of Weeds” That’s a good one! For a second I thought that was MTV’s newest show about WA or CO marijuana farmers:-D

8. Brine says:

Sorry about Shain dying, but it was a terrible show with really bad acting. I wouldn’t of thought it could of gone much longer. You can only show kids drunk, partying and driving in the mud so many times.

9. Al Rotundo says:

On the plus side, the kids will have more time to finish their dissertations and finally get those PhDs

10. Al Rotundo says:

On the plus side, those kids can finally finish their dissertations and get their PhDs

11. Jack says:

I’m sorry someone lost his life and I’m sorry for his friends and family. Having said that, I’m also overjoyed that the show was cancled. I am so tired of these crap shows showing dumb people doing dumb things.

• Ed says:

Yep, if I wanted to see stupid younguns doing stupid things, all I would’ve had to do is go to the “Redneck Riviera” last month……

12. Alison says:

Actually, MoronTV does serve a purpose in that it does actually provide entertainment for the knuckle dragging, mouth-breather population. After all, if it didn’t exist where imbecilic 20-somethings get their news and information? I would rather it just continue to cater to those folks rather than have them infiltrate other channels.

13. Danielle H. says:

I live right near where this all takes place. It has been constant news around here, his passing. And the WV gov absolutely hated the show and vehemently tried to stop it from airing. Not only has this happened, but cast member are being arrested for serious drug trafficking. That one girl is going to be in jail for a very long time. It was a disgrace to air something like this, and thank God it’s gone so WV can move on.

14. Mirandamarie says:

I loved this show.
    It’s very sad, but I don’t think they should have cancelled it.

At least they were living and having a good time while doing so.
    Life’s too short not to.

15. twiztid says:

I think the show wad good how else would it have 3.2 million viewers as a freshman season, I think they should bring the season back so everyone can kinda close on the situation, give people a chance to see Shain again bein…. Well just Shain, interacting with everyone else from the cast, doing what they love to do, which is have fun and lots of it. If the cast was onboard I would finish season two as a tribute to Shain and the residents of West Virginia and of course his fans.

16. Natalya says:

I am so sorry for shains passing he was such a joy to have around that I could tell by the show .so far as the show I thought it was a great show it was full of fun and it shows us in life that you have to live life to the fullist because you never know when your going to go . I also give my blessing to his uncle who also passed in that tragic accident.R.I.P.

17. Joe says:

You idiots sy buck wild was terrible but teen wolf and awkward are good shows you guys are stupid and all you other idiots say your tired of watching people like that… Tey were just kids having fun you all sound jealous every show in MTV is horrible they should just play music videos and that’s it and I’m sure all of you watch all these other dumbass reality shows why can’t people just make good shows again and stop watching reality tv and who ever speaks about a dead person badly especially when you don’t know him you deserve to be punched in the mouth basically I’m telling all of you to stfu cause your loser who sit on the computer all day and want to throw their two cents In get a fcking life go outside once in a while and stop thinking your opinions really matter I’m so sick of this country every one has something to say and they know everything you all probably voted for Obama again too I know your kind fcking idiots

18. Kay says:

This is about a death not about how bad MTV has been. People grow up and stop complaining. RIP Shain Gandee you will be missed.

19. KT says:

I personally love the show. It reminds me of my friends. We dont drink or anything, we just go out an have fun. We don’t cause much trouble. My friends and I loved this show and Shain. Don’t hate the people on the show. You don’t know them or what they go through everyday. Calm down.

20. Chloe says:

I can’t believe Shain died. The minute I saw the first episode… I clicked with Shain. He was my favorite one. R.I.P Shain
    Gone but never forgotten <3