American Idol: 15 Worst Performances Ever

Like a mound of dough at a pizza place, Lazaro Arbos has absorbed his share of punches during his Season 12 run on American Idol.

But the Florida resident’s unlikely march into the Top 6 — despite several abominable performances and a growing list of botched lyrics — is hardly unprecedented inside the House That Kelly Clarkson Built.

To honor Idol‘s longstanding tradition of serving the atonal with the transcendent, the ridiculous with the sublime, we’ve compiled a list of the 15 All-Time Worst Performances by American Idol Finalists. From one chica’s blasphemous countrification of a Beatles track to a rendition of a former judge’s song that made it sound like the contestant’s hands (and feet) had just been plunged into a garbage disposal, here’s our infamous countdown.

Click through the photos below for the whole list, and follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV for all my Idol news, recaps, videos and interviews.

Comments (131)

• Haha Michael. I was waiting for one of these. I think you got it right (mostly). I thought the worst was Paige Miles :/

Comment by Jacob P. – April 10, 2013 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The worst “performances” are by Nikki Minage. Even Lazro, he sings once or twice a week for a minute each week. Effin nikki babbles after pretty much every song for sometimes 2 minutes plus.
      I remember thinking back when Kara was a judge that wow, it can’t get any worse than this.
      Then along comes JBlo & I think ok, maybe Kara wasn’t so bad afterall, it surely can’t get any worse than this.
      Wouldn’t ya know it but along comes some hag like NM. No wonder AI is losing viewers. No matter how bad a contestant is, a bad judge is far worse for the show.
      I hated JBlow for the way she zero’d in on Haley and to a lesser extent Elise. I hate NM for the way she yaps her ugly face after every contestant.
      As for the article, I thought Paige was the worst & I’m in the minority, but I thought Under My Thumb was pretty good. When ya consider how bad Tim Urban was in the beginning, he was showing some improvement.

Comment by Danny – April 11, 2013 02:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What’s Love Got to Do With It— Zoanette.

Comment by karen – April 10, 2013 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • finalists only, but yeah. that was pure comedy.

Comment by noa – April 10, 2013 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Had to come back to this because there was a girl somewhere in 3rd-5th season who had a huge mouth when she opened up to sing. She was awesomely hilarious to watch sing. She had some attitude too, and long dark hair. Thanks for the laughs Michael!

Comment by AmyL – April 18, 2013 05:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And if we aren’t going with finalists or Top Ten, that Haeley chick with the guitar that sang “The Climb”. Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, that was the all-time worst.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – April 10, 2013 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I liked Haley Vaughn but she was too young and not ready for prime time. But my least favourite American Idol performance EVER is from Season 1 Rodesia Eaves “Daydream Believer”. That was awful!!!

Comment by Mafs95 – April 12, 2013 12:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ugh, that was terrible! Still remember that off-key whine.

Comment by Nat – April 13, 2013 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gokey’s dream on scream is still fresh in my memory.
    Was so hysterical

Comment by MM – April 10, 2013 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Can you imagine if Steven was on the judging panel that year? Hahaaaa!

Comment by deedee – April 10, 2013 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • he would have just said that it was beautiful! but he would be lying like Kieth and Randy on Thursday…

Comment by noa – April 10, 2013 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • ROFL, I have a hard time imagining Steven telling Danny his scream was beautiful, when it was so so soooooo hellacious! I laugh out loud thinking about it to this day!
          … and yeah, Keith and Randy were lying through their teeth last week. Shame on them! :-(

Comment by deedee – April 10, 2013 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Gokey’s “Dream On” is a classic. It spawned a number of hilarious You-Tube videos featuring the scream at the end. Still the most memorable bad Idol performance.

Comment by Linda – April 10, 2013 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I had the scream as my wake-up alarm, but then I had to get rid of it because I was having nightmares. lol

Comment by Elizabeth Rosalyn – April 10, 2013 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ugh I just got ticked off about Danny Gokey all over again

Comment by Lauren – April 10, 2013 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It should be number one.
      I still watch it if I need a laugh. Someone on youtube put it on a loop too. It’s terrifying.

Comment by Mara – April 10, 2013 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hysterical and annoying at the same time. I still cannot believe the fact that Allison was voted off instead of him after her amazing “cry baby” and “slow ride” performances

Comment by JC – April 10, 2013 09:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The reason Allison went home is because Kris Allen’s Kick Awsome Task Force back in Arkansas was power texting for him and displacing the other finalist.

Comment by Kerry Kolsch – April 11, 2013 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • One of the worst songs ever has got to be Kris Allen’s “No Boundaries” in the final. It was a joke for him to try and sing that song.

Comment by Kerry Kolsch – April 11, 2013 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Paige Miles was probably the worst. Esecially painful since she beat out Lily Scott and Katelynn Epperly the week before ( I will never forgive simon for saying Paige had more potential then katelynn and firmly believe he only said it because she was the lone girl of color left). That being said Kristy Lee Cook’s Eight Days A week was awesome!!!

Comment by Jason – April 10, 2013 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Glad that other people still remember how screwed Lilly and Katelyn were. :( There were some great girls that year but instead we got Katie Stevens and Paige Miles.

Comment by Kyle – April 11, 2013 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can think of MANY more to add to this, but how in the world did you not include John Stevens’ “Crocodile Rock”?

Comment by Brandon – April 10, 2013 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • SERIOUSLY. That’s still my all-time worst. Though Lazaro tonight doing “Close to You” needs to be on an updated list for sure.

Comment by Mr. DiSoro – April 11, 2013 01:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • So glad he went home tonight. He should have never ever been in the top 6!!

Comment by nancy – April 11, 2013 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was just about to say this. That performance was painful!

Comment by Tanisha – April 11, 2013 08:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Antonella Barba – Don’t Wanna Miss A Thing

Comment by hi – April 10, 2013 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yo, MIchael, perfect list!

Next time what about a list with “one hit wonders”, like andrew garcia and the straight up-cover?

Comment by Dieu – April 10, 2013 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still read the title of the song Danny Gokey ruined as “Scream On”

Comment by glorielle – April 10, 2013 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Got to throw in my vote for John Stevens Crocodile Rock.

Comment by lunaburning – April 10, 2013 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh god. I’m cringing and laughing in remembrance.

Comment by Carrie – April 10, 2013 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, his Crocodile Rock was his nadir by far, much worse than his Latin night attempt. I really like John Stevens, one of my favourite contestants ever, but even I have to admit that Crocodile Rock deserves to be in there.

Comment by Ben – April 10, 2013 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I liked him alot, too – but have to agree about Crocodile Rock!

Comment by april-ann – April 10, 2013 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You definitely hit some of my favorite all time worsts. Missing is Bobby Bennett’s Copacabana though. Glad you called out Lee’s. Yikes that was awful.

Comment by syb – April 10, 2013 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh Michael thank you so much for including off key Lee! I loved it in your interview with him how you called him out for some of his really bad performances and he absolutely refused to own them. Worst winner ever.

Comment by Lucky – April 10, 2013 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I nominate Lee’s entire season of performances.

Comment by Deena – April 10, 2013 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OMG, LOL!! How on Earth did you manage to pull Bobby Bennet out of the Idol abyss?? Slaying me … dying here!!

Comment by deedee – April 10, 2013 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Bobby’s Copa (wasn’t it his grandma’s favorite song or something?) is memorable to me as perhaps the campiest fun I’ve had from an Idol contestant in the voting rounds. Sanjaya had nothing on Bobby for pure entertainment value.

Comment by syb – April 11, 2013 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That performance from Paige Miles was the worst one in American Idol history.

Comment by Annie – April 10, 2013 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh Slezak, you and your grudges. So predictable.

Comment by QueenJ – April 10, 2013 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I figured Gokey’s “Scream On” would be up there!

Comment by Stephanie – April 10, 2013 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Remember season 9? Each week was just like slogging through performance after performance from the likes of Andrew Garcia, Tim Urban, Katie Stevens, Jacob Lusk. Lord help us.

Comment by Carrie – April 10, 2013 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jacob was season 10′s nightmare.

Comment by noa – April 10, 2013 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i didn’t even watch season 9….i tried, but it just ended up as background noise.

Comment by tewence – April 11, 2013 07:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sorry…. but Lee DeWyze’s Beautiful Day was absolutely not one of the worst performances. You said it yourself Slezak… you can’t judge a coronation songs when tears are flowing. Plus even if his live performance wasn’t the best… his studio version is pretty solid!

Comment by Matt – April 10, 2013 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh, so YOU’RE Lee DeWyze’s one remaining fan.

Comment by mondosalvo – April 10, 2013 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And proud of it!! New single “Silver Lining” due June 11th!!!

Comment by Matt – April 10, 2013 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Oh, glad to know there is a Silver Lining” for Lee… he needs one after butchering his coronation song… :-P

Comment by Lunakit – April 10, 2013 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Matt, I’m referencing his rendition on Top 2 Performance Night, not the Season Finale Results Show. No tears, no confetti, but alas no grasp on pitch all the same.

Comment by Michael Slezak – April 10, 2013 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What Not to Sing has that performance of Beautiful Day scored as a 45. Not as universally panned as you’d like to recall it as.

Comment by QueenJ – April 10, 2013 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Check the standard deviation..

Also you fail to note that Crystal’s average leaves her at 74.9 with a standard deviation of 15.9 whereas Lee’s average is a 57.9 average with a standard deviation of 22.5.

Essentially, WNTS acknowledges that had Crystal was a much stronger contestant statistically. Also, Crystal is ranked in the Top 10 best performers ever with other consistent greats such as the magnificent Melinda Doolittle herself.

Comment by John – April 10, 2013 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • My point is leave Crystal (or anyone) out of the discussion of worst performance, it has nothing to do with her. If Michael or anyone wants to have an opinion that’s fine but I’m going to call out a thinly veiled soapbox attempt when I see it.

Comment by queenjk – April 10, 2013 04:00 PM PDT
      • Things may have been different if Season 9 were allowed to use “in-ears” (I think they started allowing them in Season 10) and he was given a gem of a song like “Home.” (But I am a Phillip Phillips fan!) It was sort of the worst possible scenario for Lee. I’ve watched performance after performance online for years…and he does sing on key. His stripped down “Beautiful Day” wasn’t bad. I also think nerves overtook him when they moved to the big theater those last couple nights. He has improved and matured vocally since Season 9.

Comment by SuziQ – April 11, 2013 08:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree that it should’ve been a Lee-Crystal finale, however the truth of the matter is Lee choked plain and simple finale night.

His Top 2 night performance of Beautiful Day was an absolute disaster, and he messed up on the most important night of the competition. Compare that with Crystal who had one of Idol’s all-time greatest performances that night with Up To The Mountain, and it was clear that Lee’s win was undeserved.

Sorry Lee fans, but I personally can’t open up my mind – and I have no qualms in admitting that I’m close-minded right now – to consider any scenario where he should’ve won. Nice guy though.

Comment by John – April 10, 2013 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Lee clearly slayed top 3 night with Hallelujah and Simple Man. Most victories are won that night. All you bitter Bowersox fans where we’re you when her album was just released?

Comment by queenjk – April 10, 2013 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • So you’re saying just because Lee had a strong Top 3 showing, that it automatically erases the abomination that was Beautiful Day – seriously that’s my favorite U2 song and he honestly ruined. Having a strong Top 3 doesn’t mean that you automatically deserve the title, otherwise Haley would’ve won over Scotty and Lauren since she beat both hands down Top 3 night.

AND, let’s not get into a discussion about consistency, because Crystal was consistently excellent during the start of the finals. Admittedly, she began to plateau like many early frontrunners, HOWEVER she absolutely nailed her finale performances. Lee had a growing trajectory, so I’m willing to say that they were about even going into the finale. I’d even do so far as to say that I wouldn’t have minded if Lee won, until I watched him crash and burn finale night. That sold it for me; Crystal deserved the win. Nuff said.

Also, last time I checked Farmer’s Daughter outsold Lee’s debut so let’s not get into a discussion of sales either. K, thanks.

Comment by John – April 10, 2013 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • He did fine on top 3 night, but I wouldn’t call it “slaying”. Maybe you would if you were one of the sheep led to believe Lee had a “moment” with Hallelujah.

And Crystal outsold Lee.

Comment by Jon – April 10, 2013 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Good for you having the guts to go against the bullied common perception.

Comment by queenjk – April 10, 2013 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Matt, I kind of agree. I didn’t think it was that bad, either. On the other hand Lee’s “Simple Man” is one of my hubby’s all-time favorite Idol performances. My husband isn’t obsessed with the show like I am but from time to time he’ll ask me what happened to the guy that sang “Simple Man”.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – April 10, 2013 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looking at your list of worst AI performances reminded me why I believe American Idol has captured such a large viewing audience for so many years – it was about watching real people grow from nobody’s to somebody’s right before our eyes. And that included weeding through the few not-so-great contestants that somehow made it farther than they should have. Unfortunately, though, with the birth of new singing competitions, our expectations have changed. These new competitions take out all the nobody’s preferring to skip ahead to showcasing only those who “were” somebody’s or much closer to becoming one. And concerning this AI season, maybe the voters who are keeping Lazaro in the competition are genuinely interested in giving him a chance to grow to a somebody. Myself, not being one of them, as I am more realistic about a contestant’s potential. I believe it’s time to give Lazaro a break by letting him go. He is simply not ready yet for the spotlight.

Comment by Luann C. – April 10, 2013 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AHAHAHA you guys ALL made me smile today. Thanks for the memories

Comment by dani n. – April 10, 2013 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Far be it for me to defend Paige Miles/Take a Look at me Now but, to be fair, she was suffering from a very bad cold/flu that week (and the previous week as well where she actually sounded good on Honky Tonk Woman). The judges seem to choose to be obtuse at their convenience.

Comment by J. May – April 10, 2013 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Very true. Paige Miles suffered with some unfortunately-timed voice problems. She really was a good vocalist.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – April 10, 2013 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m always a bit sceptical of the illness excuse – there was one week in S1 when Kelly had laryngitis or something and delivered an absolutely killer vocal; same with Syesha in S7 Hollywood week. I know we should be a bit more understanding when someone is ill, but the best of the best know how to suppress that for two minutes.

Comment by Nat – April 13, 2013 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TIME OF THE SEASON. i like Phillip, but really. no.

Comment by noa – April 10, 2013 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OMG that one was god awful. Totally agree. Phil Phillips is, in my opinion, the least deserving winner in AI history. He does have a good sound (most of the time) but I really felt the entire season he literally could not have cared less about actually winning or even being on the stage. Even in any post interview I’ve heard him give (I’m sure begrudgingly) he just doesn’t have any passion or drive to be a musical idol. It’s fine and dandy if you want to just play your guitar and sing chill songs, but why try out for a show that puts you right in the limelight and purpose is to make you a bright and shining star if you clearly don’t want to be one in the first place?

Comment by schu – April 10, 2013 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I disagree. I have seen Phillip in concert twice now. He is quite good. His album is doing well and his coronation single is still selling well. During his season he was in such pain. When he auditioned that was not the case. Some of his poor performances and lackluster delivery can be directly attributed to the health issues. I think he will do quite well.

Comment by chistosa – April 11, 2013 08:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Phillip Phillips was the Lazaro of his season. He was unpleasant to watch cringing, sweating and writhing around on stage. He had no vocal range so he eliminated the melodies of every song and reduced them to the five notes he could actually hit. He had a horrible attitude and should never have made it past Hollywood.

Comment by Meg – April 11, 2013 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Hey, I’m no Phillip fan, but comparing him to Lazaro is a little unfair. He was better than almost half the finalists on his season (I had him at solid 7th) and usually hit most or all of his notes, and he was a lot more creative with his arrangements. I don’t think he should have won, but he’s far ahead of Lazaro.

Comment by white lancer – April 15, 2013 02:07 PM PDT
    • Good call. The part that still rankles is how much praise the judges gave him for that travesty. But kudos for Phillip for acknowledging the next night that even his brother thought it was terrible.

Comment by syb – April 11, 2013 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • don’t agree with Haley Scarnato on the list, at least not for that performance.

Comment by flutiefan – April 10, 2013 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I never thought that performance was as bad as Mr. Slezak thought it was. But whatever.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – April 10, 2013 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good List, lots of clunkers. I liked Casey Abrams, but his “Smells like Teen Spirit” should be included. Also, reaching way back, Tamyra lost season 1 with her “I’m so Excited.” Even talented contestants have bad nights. My least favorite is still Megan Joy’s Bob Marley song.

Comment by jane – April 10, 2013 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh man, I remember seeing the screencaps of Casey’s faces during that performance and laughing my head off, hahaha.

Comment by Elizabeth Rosalyn – April 10, 2013 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Speaking as a Casey and Caley fan, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” was a legitimately terrible performance and Casey deserved to be voted off for it.

Comment by John – April 10, 2013 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I actually enjoyed Casey’s Smells Like Teen Spirit. I’m not sure that means I’m defending it as a good performance. I enjoyed Heejun singing ‘My Life’ too, but I’m not sure that was a good performance either.

Comment by ben – April 10, 2013 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yea, Casey’s “Smells Like Teen Spirit” was BAAAAAAD! and Megan Joy’s “Rockin’ Robin” wasn’t great.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – April 10, 2013 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ah yes, but it did give us the famous “caw! caw!” line.

Comment by Nat – April 13, 2013 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What, Bobby Bennett’s Copacabana didn’t make the cut? Amanda Overmeyer’s Carry On Wayward Son?

Comment by tdoug – April 10, 2013 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Camille, Paige, Sanjaya… can’t disagree with any of them, right up there. Kevin too. Where is Aaron Kelly and Katie Stevens? And the other winner who I recall having a really terrible week is Phil Phil last year, although I can’t remember which song it was. Maybe the Phil Collins one? All in all, great list.

Comment by Ben – April 10, 2013 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was a Phillip fan last year, and he was my second favorite after Elise. However, even I can admit that he deserved the bottom 2 at least, for “Time of the Season”. That was honestly a terrible performance, and in the top 10 worst performances for that season.

Comment by John – April 10, 2013 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Maybe thats the one it was. Oh yes, it is! Thats it!

Comment by ben – April 10, 2013 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, “Time of the Season”–oh wow yeah—

Comment by ohreli – April 11, 2013 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • An Idol worst list without Nikki McKibbon is no list at all. That girl didn’t deserve to last the top five let alone top 3.

Comment by moonbunny28 – April 10, 2013 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked Tim Urban’s “Under my Thumb!” Seriously! lol

I do think think that god-awful performance of Danny Gokey’s deserves the first place…award? …..for being the worst performance eva!

Comment by karenb – April 10, 2013 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you karenb! I posted my comment before I read this – my husband and I liked “Under My Thumb”. We admired Tim for taking a risk and found his version creative.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – April 10, 2013 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I feel like he just needed to put Tim Urban on the list; in terms of musical chops, he deserves to be on the list. That said, his performances tended to be mediocre, not bad. Having to choose one, he went with “Under My Thumb” as many people hated the interpretation. Many people also liked it (me included).

Comment by Jeff – April 11, 2013 12:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Was that the Jamaican vibed Under My Thumb? I liked it to. Far worse was when TU did the Queen song. That was comically bad.

Comment by Scott – April 11, 2013 07:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Tim Urban’s worst performance was “Apologize” by One Republic. I felt bad for him after that one, specially because his falsettos were so off.

Comment by Mafs95 – April 12, 2013 12:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I gotta add Luke Menard’s “Wake Me Up Before You Go Go”. Hideous! :-)

Comment by deedee – April 10, 2013 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah that’s a good one dee dee. I never see Luke Menard on this list but I remember watching it and laughing my ass off. That was hilariously bad.

Comment by Favel – April 13, 2013 01:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you…thank you…thank you for putting “Goodbye Yellow Brick Road” at #1. Let’s not forget Camille and Matt Rodgers “stole” the far superior Lisa Leuschner’s spot in the Season 3 Semi-Final round 2. I also agree with fellow posters that “Crocodile Rock” should be here instead of “Music of the Heart.”

Love the list!

Comment by Musicfan5 – April 10, 2013 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lisa Leuschner should have made Top 12, but to be fair, Matt and Camile were voted in by the public. It was the stupid judges/producers who didn’t even let poor Lisa sing during the wildcard. Anyway, I quite liked Camile’s vibe. I never thought her “Goodbye Yellow Brick Road” was as bad as Michael thought, but that’s just me, so whatever. I also didn’t think Lee DeWyze was all that bad. I’m proud to have his “Simple Man” and “The Boxer” on my music player.

Comment by darcy the slutty twin – April 10, 2013 10:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am a Stones fan from WAY back and my husband, while more of a country/folk music/country-rock fan is very familiar with the Stones. I just don’t think Tim Urban’s “Under My Thumb” belongs here. I still remember the night he did the performance and we both found it interesting – he was creative, he took a risk, and he “made it his own”. We thought the judges, particularly Simon, were extremely harsh on Tim. There have been FAR worse performances, Mr. Slezak. I take exception with you on this one. I don’t think Tim Urban was anywhere near as bad as everyone makes him out to be. Sorry.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – April 10, 2013 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No Scott Savol on the list?! Or are we blocking him totally from memory?

Comment by texaslas – April 10, 2013 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOL. How could I forget Danny Gokey’s scream that was heard around the world. It was such a bad performance that I had to watch it a few times.

Comment by Jo – April 10, 2013 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Better make room for Lazaro’s “Close to You”. That key change. Oy Vey!

Comment by darcy's evil twin – April 10, 2013 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally. That was Train Wreck Terrible. I’d also add Paul MacDonald Long Long Time for the scary freaky ending.

Comment by Scott – April 10, 2013 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lazaro’s ‘Close to You’ just made No 1 on this list…

Comment by Spycigal – April 10, 2013 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hahahaha!!! Yep! NO contest there!!! :-D

Comment by Ed – April 10, 2013 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The worst of all time!!!!!!!

Comment by Atlgal2013 – April 10, 2013 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh yeah!

Comment by Molly – April 10, 2013 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ^ THIS.

Comment by Tiff – April 10, 2013 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Did Michael have a prophetic moment here? Or was he just playing the odds…

Comment by Ben – April 11, 2013 03:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hold the f*ck up! Nicki who walked off set because the other judges were telling a girl she sounded best at country just told Angie to not get away from singing at the piano?!?! She is so ridiculous.

Comment by Matt – April 10, 2013 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ……Do you know where you are right now? lol

Comment by Dayrah – April 13, 2013 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For my money the judges have been over-praising Amber all season. I’ve only really liked her a few times, but all of the judges had her in their top 3. She gets praise every week. I think they are trying to force her on “America.”

At least Mariah did say tonight it wasn’t Amber’s best vocal. She was actually the most critical of the judges.

Comment by Matt – April 10, 2013 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ya got to admit that arbos is worse than kristi’s horse. Candice is really good. They underated angie first performance and I don’t know why. It was the first time, for me, that I thot she could sing.

Comment by wgwg – April 10, 2013 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First Jessica Simpson murdered Angels now Lazaro has done it!

Comment by Spycigal – April 10, 2013 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Candice murdered “Lovesong.” Mariah has been asking her to do that jazzy sort of vocal all season. No wonder she threw glitter on her. Loved that moment.

Comment by Jess – April 10, 2013 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hopefully you’re NOT talking about the same kind of “murdered” that Lazaro did to his songs, lol.

Comment by Ed – April 10, 2013 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL! Rather unfortunate place for this comment and the word “murdered,” which is definitely out of context here… And I totally agree with you. Patience, tonight’s column is coming soon…

Comment by marie – April 10, 2013 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree!

Comment by dodie heckelman – April 10, 2013 10:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh Michael, how unfortunate that you wrote this column mere hours before Lazaro’s brutal assassination of Close to You! Eagerly awaiting tonight’s column…

Comment by marie – April 10, 2013 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Indeed as that is def top three all time worst if not number one. Ugh….

Comment by Atlgal2013 – April 10, 2013 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really just want to add… Paige had Laryngitis… soooo yeah. She has some of the most underrated stuff though. Also her version of Adelle’s song AMAZING!

Comment by KeepFrontin – April 10, 2013 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really don’t understand why Camile’s performance is at the top, it really wasn’t that bad and there have been far worse performances by others.

Comment by Kelm – April 10, 2013 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All I have to say is that Lazaro’s performance on “Close To You” today should be up there in the Top 5. He forgot to change key. And he didn’t know it. Someone please kill me.

Comment by Tiff – April 10, 2013 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! As I was clicking through the performances, I thought Slezak might have saved “Close to You” for #1. I would not have argued with that.

Comment by ohreli – April 11, 2013 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • @ Slezak, Lazaro should really have multiple performances on this list.

Comment by Ty – April 10, 2013 10:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think tonight’s worse was the worse ever!

Comment by dodie heckelman – April 10, 2013 10:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I consider Tim Urban’s “Sweet Love” his worse.
    Antonella Barba’s “Don’t Wanna Miss a Thing” should be somewhere, but I think the list is of only TOP 13 performances. Otherwise, Janay Castine’s “I Wanna Love You Forever” would definitely be here.

Comment by derek – April 10, 2013 10:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OMG, Janay Castine…a masterclass in terrible! Her “Hit Em Up Style” was rough stuff, too.

Comment by Michael Slezak – April 11, 2013 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • you gonna have to also revise the worst performances (i.e., lazaro’s “moment” last night)

Comment by lenna – April 11, 2013 12:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Haley wasn’t that bad..

Comment by Jermey – April 11, 2013 05:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it is unfair of you to not take into account how terribly, terribly pretty Tim Urban is.

Comment by Shane – April 11, 2013 07:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Under My Thumb actually grew on me – I liked the reggae version of it. Gotta love a kid who never stopped smiling :)

Comment by Nikki – April 11, 2013 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post