Ratings: The Voice and Revolution Rise Opposite Hoops-Fueled CBS, Carrie Diaries Inches Up

Get More: Ratings

thevoiceratingsThe Voice is booming.

Three weeks into its latest season (its first with “replacement” judges Shakira and Usher), NBC’s smash singing competition attracted 13.7 million viewers and, marking a spring-cycle high, a 4.9 rating in adults 18-49.

RELATED | The Voice Recap: Love Is Blind

Those numbers are particularly impressive considering The Voice aired opposite  CBS’ coverage of the NCAA basketball championship game (which powered CBS to an overall Monday victory).

The Voice helped lead-out Revolution rebound from last week’s demo low (2.3 vs. 2.2).

RELATED | Revolution Mystery Solved: Find Out Why the Lights Went Out!

Meanwhile, The CW’s bubble drama Carrie Diaries finished out its rookie season with 1.1 million viewers, its most-watched episode in a month.

Over on Fox, The Following was flat and Bones aired a rerun.

Comments (26)

• Look, I think “The Carrie Diaries” is a fairly good show, but cannot believe that The CW is considering renewal for it, considering that most weeks it’s been at a 0.3 (and this week’s 0.4 will likely be adjusted down like it has in prior weeks).

The bar can’t be that low. I have a feeling it’s more the fans begging and pleading with themselves that it has to be renewed, it just HAS to, and the creative team behind the show pretending that they are hopeful it will be renewed.

But if “Beauty and the Beast” is a bubble show at 0.6 (even though this number is skewed a bit because its lead in is “Vampire Diaries”) and “Emily Owens” was cancelled for pulling 0.3s and 0.4s, the writing is really on the wall here.

Comment by Robert Taylor – April 9, 2013 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If I had a vote I’d keep Beauty and the Beast rather than The Carrie Diaries :-) I was okay with last nights CD finale but the more I thought about it the more I realized that I really didn’t care for it. Aside from Walt and Bennet of course.

Comment by wrstlgirl – April 9, 2013 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Carrie Diaries suffers from stiff Monday night competition (DWTS, Voice, HIMYM, Bachelor previously). Too bad they didn’t put it on another night. It’s really gotten better over the weeks and season two could be strong.

Comment by Joline – April 9, 2013 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I don’t necessarily disagree with that. IDK it seems Carrie was always complaining to and about Sebastian, she really treated him badly, not that he was a saint but it did bother me. I liked them together. The other one, Maggie, she’s gonna end up preggers, typical. Just as a whole, BATB is better, for me :-)

Comment by wrstlgirl – April 9, 2013 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Well next season would be a big reboot I imagine with some characters gone and more focus on NYC. It also didn’t help that their production timing was way off and we were subjected to Thanksgiving and Christmas episodes in February/March.

Comment by Joline – April 9, 2013 04:51 PM PDT
      • Diddo :)

Comment by Lilys87 – April 9, 2013 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really like the carrie dairies it one of the shows that started out weak but at some point the show just gotten better. I watched mainly the next day on hulu. I hope that with dvr #’s and online viewing could help the show get renew.

Comment by yuki – April 9, 2013 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So what were the ratings for the basketball game? Which was a great game by the way.

Comment by Lauren – April 9, 2013 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have been loving this season of The Voice. However, I still miss XTina. I would love to see XTina and Sharika on the next season. I’m tired of seeing the ratio 3 males to 1 female

Comment by Julia – April 9, 2013 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m looking forward to seeing the numbers for the Being Human finale. Great episode! Any word on a season 4 renewal? I’m getting kind of worried. The last few seasons were renewed within just a few eps.

Comment by Eric – April 9, 2013 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too! Just got into this show! Watched three seasone is two weeks and now I want more more more!!!!

Comment by Melanie – April 9, 2013 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Overnight ratings are only a fraction of the total audience actually watching The Carrie Diaries. Sure, based on name recognition alone this show should rate higher but apparently its the #2 series behind TVD in online streams. The CW has lucrative deals with Netflix and Hulu and would benefit the network in the long run to keep series going even if they aren’t huge hits.

Comment by Jared – April 9, 2013 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m curious what your sources are, especially since that didn’t help “The Secret Circle” or “Emily Owens” or “Ringer,” despite having similar “it’s so popular online!” cries from fans.

Comment by Robert Taylor – April 9, 2013 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Deadline in an article yesterday said CD has a chance at renwal due to strong online viewing,on Hulu mainly.Last season, strong online viewing helped renew HOD according to them too.

Comment by Brandy – April 9, 2013 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about ABC? DWTS?

Comment by Rissa – April 9, 2013 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am loving the new judges on The Voice. Previously, I would FF through their “judging” and banter, but Usher and Shakira are darling and I just love the new dynamic. Xtina was always so aloof and b*tchy.

Comment by Bitsy – April 9, 2013 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about the ratings for DWTS?.

Comment by Martin – April 9, 2013 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 8pm: ABC: “Dancing With the Stars” (12.6 million, 8.4/13)
      9pm: ABC: “Dancing With the Stars” (13.3 million, 8.9/13)

Comment by Prue – April 9, 2013 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love TCD and I’m sad it probably won’t get a second season :(

Comment by Elyse – April 9, 2013 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TCD will get a Season 2 pick-up, but will only shoot a handful of episodes – then will only continue production if they get some stellar ratings :) Too bad they don’t do some summer episodes I bet they’d get tons of new viewers with all other things reruns…worked for original 90210 – LOVE, LOVE The Carrie Diaries!!!!!

Comment by Belle – April 9, 2013 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You are right. This should have been a summer show.

Comment by Joline – April 9, 2013 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Like American Idol, Dancing With The Stars (I use the name “stars” loosely) is a total snooze-fest…why do people keep flocking to those stupid old reality shows – go out, talk to some real people, watch a REAL TV show!!!!

Comment by Aryn – April 9, 2013 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OMGosh, totally agree!!! Who are these 12 million people, and why are they still tuning into DWTS – I mean the first few seasons were good, the “stars” are getting more boring, I’d rather go to the dentist than sit through that train wreck ever again!

Comment by Belle – April 9, 2013 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • cw should not consider a 1st season show pulling a .3 in some weeks

Comment by radar – April 9, 2013 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope they renew the Carrie Diaries. It has a lot of potential for it to become a good show. If ever that happens, they should move it to a night where it won’t compete with highly viewed shows. Otherwise, it will eventually be cancelled.

Comment by Ace Cane – April 11, 2013 03:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really enjoyed watching the Carrie Diaries! It is my favorite show and still will be if it is renewed. I think the Carrie Diaries is one of those shows that you can watch, but also learn a thing or two. I think AnnaSophia Robb was perfect for the part of Carrie and I can’t wait to see more I hope! I hope that the CW will renew the Carrie Diaries and answer the questions left after the season 1 finale!

Comment by Eric – April 23, 2013 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post