Ratings: The Voice and Revolution Rise Opposite Hoops-Fueled CBS, Carrie Diaries Inches Up

thevoiceratingsThe Voice is booming.

Three weeks into its latest season (its first with “replacement” judges Shakira and Usher), NBC’s smash singing competition attracted 13.7 million viewers and, marking a spring-cycle high, a 4.9 rating in adults 18-49.

RELATED | The Voice Recap: Love Is Blind

Those numbers are particularly impressive considering The Voice aired opposite  CBS’ coverage of the NCAA basketball championship game (which powered CBS to an overall Monday victory).

The Voice helped lead-out Revolution rebound from last week’s demo low (2.3 vs. 2.2).

RELATED | Revolution Mystery Solved: Find Out Why the Lights Went Out!

Meanwhile, The CW’s bubble drama Carrie Diaries finished out its rookie season with 1.1 million viewers, its most-watched episode in a month.

Over on Fox, The Following was flat and Bones aired a rerun.

1. Robert Taylor says:

Look, I think “The Carrie Diaries” is a fairly good show, but cannot believe that The CW is considering renewal for it, considering that most weeks it’s been at a 0.3 (and this week’s 0.4 will likely be adjusted down like it has in prior weeks).

The bar can’t be that low. I have a feeling it’s more the fans begging and pleading with themselves that it has to be renewed, it just HAS to, and the creative team behind the show pretending that they are hopeful it will be renewed.

But if “Beauty and the Beast” is a bubble show at 0.6 (even though this number is skewed a bit because its lead in is “Vampire Diaries”) and “Emily Owens” was cancelled for pulling 0.3s and 0.4s, the writing is really on the wall here.

• wrstlgirl says:

If I had a vote I’d keep Beauty and the Beast rather than The Carrie Diaries :-) I was okay with last nights CD finale but the more I thought about it the more I realized that I really didn’t care for it. Aside from Walt and Bennet of course.

• Joline says:

Carrie Diaries suffers from stiff Monday night competition (DWTS, Voice, HIMYM, Bachelor previously). Too bad they didn’t put it on another night. It’s really gotten better over the weeks and season two could be strong.

• wrstlgirl says:

I don’t necessarily disagree with that. IDK it seems Carrie was always complaining to and about Sebastian, she really treated him badly, not that he was a saint but it did bother me. I liked them together. The other one, Maggie, she’s gonna end up preggers, typical. Just as a whole, BATB is better, for me :-)

• Joline says:

Well next season would be a big reboot I imagine with some characters gone and more focus on NYC. It also didn’t help that their production timing was way off and we were subjected to Thanksgiving and Christmas episodes in February/March.

• Lilys87 says:

Diddo :)

2. yuki says:

I really like the carrie dairies it one of the shows that started out weak but at some point the show just gotten better. I watched mainly the next day on hulu. I hope that with dvr #’s and online viewing could help the show get renew.

3. Lauren says:

So what were the ratings for the basketball game? Which was a great game by the way.

4. Julia says:

I have been loving this season of The Voice. However, I still miss XTina. I would love to see XTina and Sharika on the next season. I’m tired of seeing the ratio 3 males to 1 female

5. Eric says:

I’m looking forward to seeing the numbers for the Being Human finale. Great episode! Any word on a season 4 renewal? I’m getting kind of worried. The last few seasons were renewed within just a few eps.

6. Jared says:

Overnight ratings are only a fraction of the total audience actually watching The Carrie Diaries. Sure, based on name recognition alone this show should rate higher but apparently its the #2 series behind TVD in online streams. The CW has lucrative deals with Netflix and Hulu and would benefit the network in the long run to keep series going even if they aren’t huge hits.

• Robert Taylor says:

I’m curious what your sources are, especially since that didn’t help “The Secret Circle” or “Emily Owens” or “Ringer,” despite having similar “it’s so popular online!” cries from fans.

• Brandy says:

Deadline in an article yesterday said CD has a chance at renwal due to strong online viewing,on Hulu mainly.Last season, strong online viewing helped renew HOD according to them too.

7. Rissa says:

What about ABC? DWTS?

8. Bitsy says:

I am loving the new judges on The Voice. Previously, I would FF through their “judging” and banter, but Usher and Shakira are darling and I just love the new dynamic. Xtina was always so aloof and b*tchy.

9. Martin says:

What about the ratings for DWTS?.

• Prue says:

8pm: ABC: “Dancing With the Stars” (12.6 million, 8.4/13)
      9pm: ABC: “Dancing With the Stars” (13.3 million, 8.9/13)

10. Elyse says:

I love TCD and I’m sad it probably won’t get a second season :(

11. Belle says:

TCD will get a Season 2 pick-up, but will only shoot a handful of episodes – then will only continue production if they get some stellar ratings :) Too bad they don’t do some summer episodes I bet they’d get tons of new viewers with all other things reruns…worked for original 90210 – LOVE, LOVE The Carrie Diaries!!!!!

12. Aryn says:

Like American Idol, Dancing With The Stars (I use the name “stars” loosely) is a total snooze-fest…why do people keep flocking to those stupid old reality shows – go out, talk to some real people, watch a REAL TV show!!!!

• Belle says:

OMGosh, totally agree!!! Who are these 12 million people, and why are they still tuning into DWTS – I mean the first few seasons were good, the “stars” are getting more boring, I’d rather go to the dentist than sit through that train wreck ever again!

13. radar says:

cw should not consider a 1st season show pulling a .3 in some weeks

14. Ace Cane says:

I hope they renew the Carrie Diaries. It has a lot of potential for it to become a good show. If ever that happens, they should move it to a night where it won’t compete with highly viewed shows. Otherwise, it will eventually be cancelled.

15. Eric says:

I really enjoyed watching the Carrie Diaries! It is my favorite show and still will be if it is renewed. I think the Carrie Diaries is one of those shows that you can watch, but also learn a thing or two. I think AnnaSophia Robb was perfect for the part of Carrie and I can’t wait to see more I hope! I hope that the CW will renew the Carrie Diaries and answer the questions left after the season 1 finale!