AMC Eyes Breaking Bad Spin-Off Centered Around Saul Goodman - Would You Watch?

breaking bad spinoff Bob Odenkirk Saul GoodmanAMC isn’t ready to let Breaking Bad go.

With the drama heading into its final eight-episode run this summer, the network is exploring the idea of a spinoff centered around Bob Odenkirk‘s shady criminal lawyer Saul Goodman, Deadline reports.

RELATED | 25 Shows TVLine Readers Want Remade or Revived Now

The idea is said to be in the very early stages, with no deals in place in front of or behind the camera. But if the project — which is being conceived as a comedy — were to get a green light, Breaking Bad creator Vince Gilligan would steer the offshoot alongside the show’s writer-producer Peter Gould.

Gilligan floated the idea of a Saul-centric series at the WGA Awards earlier this year, telling TVLine, “In my mind’s eye, I would like to see a Saul Goodman spin-off. I would love that. So maybe we’ll try to get that going.”

Thoughts? Would you watch Breaking Bad: Saul? Cast your vote in the comments section below!

1. Steve P says:

I saw something about this a few months back… I like his character, so I am interested to see where this goes.

2. Joe says:

I’d watch that.

3. stripetg says:

YES! YES! YES!

• Ted says:

I want to second all these yesses and add a few ABSOLUTELY’s! of my own.

Pair saul with Skinny Pete and you’ve got my new favourite show ever.

And have no Skyler.

And no crying baby White.

And have a little small sprinkle of Bill Burr/Kuby.

And bring back the random boob shots like they had in the pilot.

4. MelissaCatherine says:

I remember listening to an interview with Vince Gilligan where he said he’d love to do a show about Saul. Glad it’s potentially happening.

5. Rob says:

I think this is a huge mistake. They’re taking a good comedic side character on an otherwise dark show and making what? A gritty legal procedural? Saul moves to LA and opens up a practice and moves in with a wisecracking roommate played by Gary Busey?

6. Geo says:

And please, please, pleasemake Saul’s recurring arch-enemy David Cross!

7. J says:

This had better be called “Better Call Saul”. And I would watch the hell out of this.

8. Reddog says:

I love Bob Odenkirk, but I’ve never watched Breaking Bad.

By the way, you can “center on” or “revolve around”, but you can’t “center around”.

• Jason says:

This would be great! Saul could get into all kinds of trouble. Odenkirk is awesome!! Second the idea of reteaming him with David Cross!!

9. Nicole says:

If Gilligan thinks he can do this well then I’m all for it. At first I thought AMC might just be desperately clinging to BB, afraid to let it go. But, if there is a plan, and the creative people are excited about it, then it could be amazing. Can Badger please be his assistant?

• Gregk says:

Love Saul but please not a sitcom with a laugh track. Prefer something with dark humor like a Person of Interest. Badger is great suggestion, really thought he was one of the best minor characters.

10. seattlejohn449 says:

this seems kind of weird…didn’t AMC force BREAKING BAD to shorten its final season yet now they want to exploit it for a spin-off?

11. LynnH says:

Yes! YES!! I would absolutely watch this.

12. Reggie says:

A resounding hellz yeah !!!!!!!!!

13. This would be the first spin-off of a show I like that I will not watch. I’ve watched Joey – it was funny by itself, but knowing Friends it was lightyears away. I’ve watched Private Practice – again lightyears from Grey’s Anatomy. Considering I don’t love Breaking Bad as much as Friends or GA, then this spin-off is not worth watching for me. Plus I’ve never been a huge fan of Saul.

14. Mary says:

Yes! Love Saul!

15. Et al says:

Would this be the first time a comedy has been spun off
    from a drama (unless you count all of the CSI’s as comedies – which I do).

16. Et al says:

Would this be the first time a comedy has been spun off
    from a drama (unless you count all of the NCIS’s as comedies – which I do).

17. Sara says:

YES! YES! Come to think of it, I would watch any BB spin-off, love all the characters. Imagine a Badger/Skinny Pete one

18. Sareeta says:

Yes, I’d watch it! But I can’t really see where they’d go with it. Would be it an Arrested Development style comedy, or a goofy procedural?

19. Dick Whitman says:

20. dude says:

no freaking question about it million times yes. The man is awesome

21. Sheldon W. says:

Absolutely!

22. Amanda says:

They should team Saul up with Bob Loblaw.

23. Nicole R says:

Oh, yeah. Saul is one of the great new characters on TV. I think he could pull off a series.

24. richard g says:

How about a Tuco ‘identical twin’ brother entering the show in some scenario? Gotta get that guy back because his contribution was TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT!!!!!

25. Jeff says:

This is the classic ‘Seemed like a good idea at the time’ scenario. Odenkirk is great as Goodman within the context of BB, but I think it’s a bit too optimistic to think he could carry a whole show. He’s garlic bread: it goes great with the entree, but you wouldn’t want to make a whole meal out of it.

26. Corey says:

i’m thinking this could be good if they go with the same formula as BB, Saul bends the law to do shady dealings for alot of bad men in N.M so showing his activities away from W.W would be interesting to see..I’m sure there are many more Walter Whites on Sauls client list….maybe a few angry past clients to make homicidal visits? bring it on AMC…..But dont screw up the legacy of Breaking Bad in the process;)

27. Arvis Martinez says:

ABSOLUTELY!!! Saul is adorable while being sleazy. He’s perfect for his own show. There’s no one like him.

28. Oh hell yes, I would watch a show with Saul Goodman! Love Bob Odenkirk!

29. Steven says:

I would have to say no on this one. I love BB and Saul is great but I think they would be able to get 5 or 6 good episodes tops. Sometimes you have to let things die with dignity rather than drag them trough the dirt destroying them to squeeze out every last dollar. Just take Indiana Jones and the Rolling Stones for examples. Different genres i know but if they didn’t make the last Indy movie or of the Stones actually quit touring 20 years ago before they were the walking dead wouldn’t you view them in a different light with much more respect and not a punch line? Let BB go out on top and stay there.

30. Crystal says:

i can definitely see them making a dark comedy show about the crooked lawyer that bails out all the bad guys. it would be like having all those favorite scenes with Saul that you love just with different (and probably a larger pool of) characters for 45 minutes. i don’t know about you but that doesn’t sound like too bad of an idea for a successful spin off.

Just because Saul Goodman’s genesis was in a drama doesn’t mean that he can’t have a dark comedy and it be successful. The naysayers will be the smaller percent that doesn’t at least watch season one in it’s entirety.