AMC Eyes Breaking Bad Spin-Off Centered Around Saul Goodman – Would You Watch?

Get More: Casting News

breaking bad spinoff Bob Odenkirk Saul GoodmanAMC isn’t ready to let Breaking Bad go.

With the drama heading into its final eight-episode run this summer, the network is exploring the idea of a spinoff centered around Bob Odenkirk‘s shady criminal lawyer Saul Goodman, Deadline reports.

RELATED | 25 Shows TVLine Readers Want Remade or Revived Now

The idea is said to be in the very early stages, with no deals in place in front of or behind the camera. But if the project — which is being conceived as a comedy — were to get a green light, Breaking Bad creator Vince Gilligan would steer the offshoot alongside the show’s writer-producer Peter Gould.

Gilligan floated the idea of a Saul-centric series at the WGA Awards earlier this year, telling TVLine, “In my mind’s eye, I would like to see a Saul Goodman spin-off. I would love that. So maybe we’ll try to get that going.”

Thoughts? Would you watch Breaking Bad: Saul? Cast your vote in the comments section below!

Comments (48)

• I saw something about this a few months back… I like his character, so I am interested to see where this goes.

Comment by Steve P – April 9, 2013 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d watch that.

Comment by Joe – April 9, 2013 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • …in an instant!!

Comment by rockgolf – April 9, 2013 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES! YES! YES!

Comment by stripetg – April 9, 2013 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I want to second all these yesses and add a few ABSOLUTELY’s! of my own.

Pair saul with Skinny Pete and you’ve got my new favourite show ever.

And have no Skyler.

And no crying baby White.

And have a little small sprinkle of Bill Burr/Kuby.

And bring back the random boob shots like they had in the pilot.

Comment by Ted – April 9, 2013 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I remember listening to an interview with Vince Gilligan where he said he’d love to do a show about Saul. Glad it’s potentially happening.

Comment by MelissaCatherine – April 9, 2013 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think this is a huge mistake. They’re taking a good comedic side character on an otherwise dark show and making what? A gritty legal procedural? Saul moves to LA and opens up a practice and moves in with a wisecracking roommate played by Gary Busey?

Comment by Rob – April 9, 2013 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • if you read the deadline article there reporting it as a comedy

Comment by chris – April 9, 2013 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I know. That’s why it doesn’t make sense.

Comment by Rob – April 9, 2013 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Totally agree. Love Saul, but no to this idea.

Comment by tripoli – April 9, 2013 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And please, please, pleasemake Saul’s recurring arch-enemy David Cross!

Comment by Geo – April 9, 2013 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This had better be called “Better Call Saul”. And I would watch the hell out of this.

Comment by J – April 9, 2013 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was about to say the exact same thing!

Comment by Erin – April 9, 2013 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too. And they can call the inevitable post-ep talk show “Talking Saul.”

Comment by DL – April 9, 2013 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Funniest comment of the day: “I would watch the HELL out of this.”

Comment by Pat D. – April 10, 2013 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Bob Odenkirk, but I’ve never watched Breaking Bad.

By the way, you can “center on” or “revolve around”, but you can’t “center around”.

Comment by Reddog – April 9, 2013 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This would be great! Saul could get into all kinds of trouble. Odenkirk is awesome!! Second the idea of reteaming him with David Cross!!

Comment by Jason – April 9, 2013 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Gilligan thinks he can do this well then I’m all for it. At first I thought AMC might just be desperately clinging to BB, afraid to let it go. But, if there is a plan, and the creative people are excited about it, then it could be amazing. Can Badger please be his assistant?

Comment by Nicole – April 9, 2013 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Love Saul but please not a sitcom with a laugh track. Prefer something with dark humor like a Person of Interest. Badger is great suggestion, really thought he was one of the best minor characters.

Comment by Gregk – April 9, 2013 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this seems kind of weird…didn’t AMC force BREAKING BAD to shorten its final season yet now they want to exploit it for a spin-off?

Comment by seattlejohn449 – April 9, 2013 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • shorten? it got 16 episodes.

Comment by Jenna – April 9, 2013 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, they forced them to LENGTHEN it. Vince Gilligan wanted a regular 13 episode conclusion over one season, but AMC wanted more. The result? 2 8-episode half seasons.

Comment by Anna – April 9, 2013 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! YES!! I would absolutely watch this.

Comment by LynnH – April 9, 2013 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A resounding hellz yeah !!!!!!!!!

Comment by Reggie – April 9, 2013 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This would be the first spin-off of a show I like that I will not watch. I’ve watched Joey – it was funny by itself, but knowing Friends it was lightyears away. I’ve watched Private Practice – again lightyears from Grey’s Anatomy. Considering I don’t love Breaking Bad as much as Friends or GA, then this spin-off is not worth watching for me. Plus I’ve never been a huge fan of Saul.

Comment by Lubomir Raykov – April 9, 2013 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, then you would not like this show.

Comment by CheetoHead – April 9, 2013 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! Love Saul!

Comment by Mary – April 9, 2013 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Would this be the first time a comedy has been spun off
    from a drama (unless you count all of the CSI’s as comedies – which I do).

Comment by Et al – April 9, 2013 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Would this be the first time a comedy has been spun off
    from a drama (unless you count all of the NCIS’s as comedies – which I do).

Comment by Et al – April 9, 2013 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES! YES! Come to think of it, I would watch any BB spin-off, love all the characters. Imagine a Badger/Skinny Pete one

Comment by Sara – April 9, 2013 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Would love his bosyguard to be there, forgot his name

Comment by Sara – April 9, 2013 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes, I’d watch it! But I can’t really see where they’d go with it. Would be it an Arrested Development style comedy, or a goofy procedural?

Comment by Sareeta – April 9, 2013 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Dick Whitman – April 9, 2013 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I never thought I’d say this. But thank you, Dick Whitman.

Comment by Rob – April 9, 2013 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • no freaking question about it million times yes. The man is awesome

Comment by dude – April 9, 2013 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Absolutely!

Comment by Sheldon W. – April 9, 2013 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They should team Saul up with Bob Loblaw.

Comment by Amanda – April 9, 2013 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • …and the rural juror.

Comment by Geo – April 9, 2013 10:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, yeah. Saul is one of the great new characters on TV. I think he could pull off a series.

Comment by Nicole R – April 10, 2013 05:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about a Tuco ‘identical twin’ brother entering the show in some scenario? Gotta get that guy back because his contribution was TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT!!!!!

Comment by richard g – April 11, 2013 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the classic ‘Seemed like a good idea at the time’ scenario. Odenkirk is great as Goodman within the context of BB, but I think it’s a bit too optimistic to think he could carry a whole show. He’s garlic bread: it goes great with the entree, but you wouldn’t want to make a whole meal out of it.

Comment by Jeff – April 14, 2013 06:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i’m thinking this could be good if they go with the same formula as BB, Saul bends the law to do shady dealings for alot of bad men in N.M so showing his activities away from W.W would be interesting to see..I’m sure there are many more Walter Whites on Sauls client list….maybe a few angry past clients to make homicidal visits? bring it on AMC…..But dont screw up the legacy of Breaking Bad in the process;)

Comment by Corey – April 22, 2013 04:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABSOLUTELY!!! Saul is adorable while being sleazy. He’s perfect for his own show. There’s no one like him.

Comment by Arvis Martinez – May 7, 2013 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh hell yes, I would watch a show with Saul Goodman! Love Bob Odenkirk!

Comment by Julie Bergmann – May 9, 2013 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would have to say no on this one. I love BB and Saul is great but I think they would be able to get 5 or 6 good episodes tops. Sometimes you have to let things die with dignity rather than drag them trough the dirt destroying them to squeeze out every last dollar. Just take Indiana Jones and the Rolling Stones for examples. Different genres i know but if they didn’t make the last Indy movie or of the Stones actually quit touring 20 years ago before they were the walking dead wouldn’t you view them in a different light with much more respect and not a punch line? Let BB go out on top and stay there.

Comment by Steven – June 5, 2013 11:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i can definitely see them making a dark comedy show about the crooked lawyer that bails out all the bad guys. it would be like having all those favorite scenes with Saul that you love just with different (and probably a larger pool of) characters for 45 minutes. i don’t know about you but that doesn’t sound like too bad of an idea for a successful spin off.

Just because Saul Goodman’s genesis was in a drama doesn’t mean that he can’t have a dark comedy and it be successful. The naysayers will be the smaller percent that doesn’t at least watch season one in it’s entirety.

Comment by Crystal – August 4, 2013 05:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post