Bates Motel Renewed for Season 2

Get More: Renewals

Bates Motel Renewed Season 2Bates Motel won’t be checking out of A&E anytime soon.

The cable network picked up a second season of the Psycho prequel on Monday.

RELATED | 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled?

The drama, which stars Freddie Highmore as a teenage Norman Bates and Vera Farmiga as his ill-fated mother Norma, was renewed only three episodes into its freshman season.

The cumulative ratings of the series’ premiere last month (4.5 million total viewers) made it the most-watched original drama debut in the network’s history.

Pre-production on 10 new Season 2 episodes will begin later this year; they’ll air in 2014.

Tags: ,

Comments (31)

• But 10 new episodes for this season? or the next season will have 10 episodes?

Comment by Osmely – April 8, 2013 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was renewed for a 10 episode second season. Season one has 10 episodes as well.

Comment by Teag – April 8, 2013 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes to more farmiga

Comment by J – April 8, 2013 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news. I am really enjoying it so far.

Comment by Andy – April 8, 2013 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best show on tv right now. This is fantastic news.

Comment by Et al – April 8, 2013 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad to see this. Hope Hannibal picks up ratings soon.

Comment by Zorkel567 – April 8, 2013 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am very excited! Freddie Highmore has been quite impressive in his portrayal of such a classic quirky character as Norman Bates. I am loving seeing Norman is his formative teenage years. I think he and Vera Farmiga are brilliant together. So close and destructive and unhealthy! Definitley makes for great tv!

Comment by Shannon – April 8, 2013 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Interesting. I can’t really tell just yet where it’s going, but I’m glad the writers have a definite 2 seasons to plan for.

Comment by Brooke – April 8, 2013 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s strangely addicting and riveting. Love how they are playing this and so glad it got a Season 2.
    BTW – over the weekend watched the orig Psycho. Freddie really does have the Norman Bates smirks, twitches and mannerisms down – in a creepily good way.

Comment by kirads09 – April 8, 2013 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great News !

Comment by Whatever – April 8, 2013 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • EXCELLENT. I love this show!

Comment by Ruby – April 8, 2013 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that the show really show u that there are people go thru life the same
    Way today ,I also think that the actors is doing a good job , hope it will return

Comment by Rod – April 8, 2013 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There is something so weird and odd about the Norma and Norman characters and their relationship that at times it makes me uncomfortable watching it. There’s just such an oddness about the two of them separately as well as together to the point where I don’t like them, yet I can’t stop watching them and at times even rooting for them. It speaks to just how fantastic Vera Farmiga and Freddie Highmore are in these roles.

Comment by Tenney – April 9, 2013 05:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, I thought this was a limited run series. I’m very excited, my favorite show right now.

Comment by Tony – April 9, 2013 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After I initially commented I clicked the -Notify me when new feedback are added- checkbox and now every time a comment is added I get 4 emails with the same comment. Is there any way you possibly can remove me from that service? Thanks!

Comment by Fool Me Twice – April 12, 2013 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why only 10 episodes?????? I need more!!!! It’s too good for such a short season!! Can we get 12… 13 maybe???

Comment by Amanda Forque – May 9, 2013 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 2014!! HOLY COW! I cant wait that long…please move up the premiere date…and if you could make it more than 10 episodes that would be FANTASTIC!

Comment by winchestergal05 – May 13, 2013 06:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have not been following the show but this evening I saw some reruns. There is some real good acting.

Comment by Dory – May 18, 2013 08:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show but why is season 2 coming out in 2014 that’s a long time of a wait .

Comment by Alyssa – May 18, 2013 09:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i LOVE bates motel but I think that hain to wait over seven months for only 10 more episodes is a bit time excessive…

Comment by Amanda – May 19, 2013 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I jumped so excited to hear season 2 was approved! But why so few episodes? More more more! This is the most addicting tv show I have ever watched! It’s amazing how all the characters have such a mysterious gloom about them, they all act so well together!! Please move the date closer , 2014 is so far from now!!! MAJOR FAN!!!!

Comment by Samantha – May 20, 2013 08:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yeah more tv shows we have to wait 9 months to see again, hmmm, wait until all 3 seasons are finished and watch it then, once again sorry, dont watch shows on their original airing if i have to wait almost a year to see the next episode!!!!

Comment by Asashii Fustazi – May 22, 2013 06:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Luv the Bates Motel series. Can’t you make Season 2 faster than 2014???? Don’t keep us hanging like this! One of the best series on TV!!!!

Comment by G.Gray – May 26, 2013 06:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe we won’t see anymore until 2014!!!!!! Ugh!

Comment by Misty – May 26, 2013 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh nooooo we have to wait till 2014. That sucks. Can’t you speed things up on it

Comment by Anna bashiri – May 31, 2013 08:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 2014 that is too fricken long !!

Comment by Dawn Kaskey – June 3, 2013 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I miss my show! Can’t wait for it to come back

Comment by Karen – September 25, 2013 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait!!!! Loved season one!

Comment by Joy – October 24, 2013 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You finally put a good show on that everyone likes and then you cut it short and have to wait tooo long to see it again. When all the other shows that we hate, you put them on over and over and over. Please run the good ones more often and take those other reality show off.

Comment by Kaye Balko – January 5, 2014 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post