Mickey Mouse Club Icon Annette Funicello Dies

Get More: In Memoriam

Annette Funicello Dies at 70Actress-singer-Mickey Mouse Club icon Annette Funicello has died from complications related to multiple sclerosis. She was 70.

Disney confirmed her passing Monday on Twitter.

In 1955, a then-12-year-old Funicello was cast as one of Disney’s Mouseketeers (she was reportedly handpicked by Walt himself.) She later attained teen idol status alongside Frankie Avalon in the “Beach Party” movie franchise.

Funicello went public with her MS diagnosis in 1992.

Comments (19)

• Rest in peace, Annette. You were a shining star to me when I was little. Fond memories of the Mickey Mouse Club. You will be missed.

Comment by marie – April 8, 2013 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amen to that. I grew up watching her. She was always my favorite.

Comment by Chloe – April 8, 2013 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • While I’m sad to hear of her dying, I’m a little creeped out, too: after one of the little digital subchannels was showing beach party movies this weekend, I thought about how I hadn’t heard anything about Annette for a while, so I looked up articles about her and read several of them. Then, the very next morning, she dies.

Comment by Martoukian – April 8, 2013 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • M-I-C – See you real soon – K-E -Y – Why? Because we like you! – M-O-U-S-E…

Comment by majamababe – April 8, 2013 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very sad. I remember watching her on the original Mickey Mouse Club. As the saying went, we watched Annette grow – and grow – and grow. She was definitely the boys favorite.
    In was hard to read about her illness and occasionally seeing her get worse and worse.

It always sounds harsher than people mean it, by her passing is probably for the best given the circumstances of her MS. It could only get worse.

Comment by J. Norman – April 8, 2013 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She was an amazing woman and my favorite from the MM Club. Rest in peace. You will be remembered.

Comment by tvdiva – April 8, 2013 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bummer.

Comment by Teeny Bikini – April 8, 2013 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched the Micky Mouse Club everyday after school, I wanted to be just like Annette. I still have my “Annette” lunchbox proudly displayed in my kitchen. She was a positive influence on millions of young girls.

Comment by Candy Parnell – April 8, 2013 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • RIP Annette, you will be missed and remembered.

Comment by Kevin in CT – April 8, 2013 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • RIP

Comment by Renee – April 8, 2013 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • R.I.P. will have to break out Back To The Beach.

Comment by Reggie – April 8, 2013 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She was always my favorite. I wanted to be just like her when I was a kid. So sad.

Comment by JAO – April 8, 2013 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We will miss you so much.

Comment by Wanda Welsh-Tomko – April 8, 2013 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is indeed sad Aunt Wanda.

Comment by Chris Welsh – June 17, 2013 04:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very sad. RIP

Comment by N – April 8, 2013 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was 7 yrs old & loved All of Walt Disney’ movies & Mickey Mouse Show with Annette (my favorite) but liked all the cast and what Disney created for all children and has been passed on to my children and grand children…How wonderful! We will miss Annette!

Comment by Lynetta Parrish – April 8, 2013 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a shame. She suffered so long with that lousy disease.

Comment by Sheila – April 8, 2013 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Annette was my inspiration. I’d buy all her records and clip alll her pictures from the teen magazines of the 50′s and 60′s. Whenever I had a bad day in school, I’d go home to my Annette collection. She was reassuring to me. I’d always write to local L.A. deejays and try to persuade them to play her records. aT age 65 I still have her photos on my worksite bulletin board at the Veteran’s in Long Beach. People used to ask me “Why Annette?”, but they don’t anymore. When I heard the news of her passing, I did not cry. I gave a sigh of relief. It was only when I’d see disturbing images of her confined to a bed with the ravages of M.S that I’d cry. I won’t deny that! I was just glad that she’s free now. I don’t see death as some, even though I’d like to live a long healthy life. She is part of my daily life. I even have a special facebook page titled Annette and Teen Idols. Do pay me a visit.

Comment by Ernie Garcia – April 12, 2013 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Helpful info. Fortunate me I found your website by chance, and I’m stunned why this coincidence didn’t came about earlier! I bookmarked it.

Comment by How to get and maintain six pack abs – April 12, 2013 10:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post