Mickey Mouse Club Icon Annette Funicello Dies

Annette Funicello Dies at 70Actress-singer-Mickey Mouse Club icon Annette Funicello has died from complications related to multiple sclerosis. She was 70.

Disney confirmed her passing Monday on Twitter.

In 1955, a then-12-year-old Funicello was cast as one of Disney’s Mouseketeers (she was reportedly handpicked by Walt himself.) She later attained teen idol status alongside Frankie Avalon in the “Beach Party” movie franchise.

Funicello went public with her MS diagnosis in 1992.

1. marie says:

Rest in peace, Annette. You were a shining star to me when I was little. Fond memories of the Mickey Mouse Club. You will be missed.

• Chloe says:

Amen to that. I grew up watching her. She was always my favorite.

• Martoukian says:

While I’m sad to hear of her dying, I’m a little creeped out, too: after one of the little digital subchannels was showing beach party movies this weekend, I thought about how I hadn’t heard anything about Annette for a while, so I looked up articles about her and read several of them. Then, the very next morning, she dies.

2. majamababe says:

M-I-C – See you real soon – K-E -Y – Why? Because we like you! – M-O-U-S-E…

3. J. Norman says:

Very sad. I remember watching her on the original Mickey Mouse Club. As the saying went, we watched Annette grow – and grow – and grow. She was definitely the boys favorite.
    In was hard to read about her illness and occasionally seeing her get worse and worse.

It always sounds harsher than people mean it, by her passing is probably for the best given the circumstances of her MS. It could only get worse.

4. tvdiva says:

She was an amazing woman and my favorite from the MM Club. Rest in peace. You will be remembered.

5. Candy Parnell says:

I watched the Micky Mouse Club everyday after school, I wanted to be just like Annette. I still have my “Annette” lunchbox proudly displayed in my kitchen. She was a positive influence on millions of young girls.

6. Kevin in CT says:

RIP Annette, you will be missed and remembered.

7. Reggie says:

R.I.P. will have to break out Back To The Beach.

8. JAO says:

She was always my favorite. I wanted to be just like her when I was a kid. So sad.

9. Wanda Welsh-Tomko says:

We will miss you so much.

10. N says:

Very sad. RIP

11. Lynetta Parrish says:

I was 7 yrs old & loved All of Walt Disney’ movies & Mickey Mouse Show with Annette (my favorite) but liked all the cast and what Disney created for all children and has been passed on to my children and grand children…How wonderful! We will miss Annette!

12. Sheila says:

What a shame. She suffered so long with that lousy disease.

13. Ernie Garcia says:

Annette was my inspiration. I’d buy all her records and clip alll her pictures from the teen magazines of the 50’s and 60’s. Whenever I had a bad day in school, I’d go home to my Annette collection. She was reassuring to me. I’d always write to local L.A. deejays and try to persuade them to play her records. aT age 65 I still have her photos on my worksite bulletin board at the Veteran’s in Long Beach. People used to ask me “Why Annette?”, but they don’t anymore. When I heard the news of her passing, I did not cry. I gave a sigh of relief. It was only when I’d see disturbing images of her confined to a bed with the ravages of M.S that I’d cry. I won’t deny that! I was just glad that she’s free now. I don’t see death as some, even though I’d like to live a long healthy life. She is part of my daily life. I even have a special facebook page titled Annette and Teen Idols. Do pay me a visit.

14. Helpful info. Fortunate me I found your website by chance, and I’m stunned why this coincidence didn’t came about earlier! I bookmarked it.