Performer of the Week: Emmy Rossum

Shameless Season 3 Emmy Rossum Performer of the WeekA weekly feature in which we spotlight shining stars

THE PERFORMER | Emmy Rossum

THE SHOW | Shameless

THE EPISODE | “Order Room Service”

THE AIRDATE | March 31, 2013

THE PERFORMANCE | Shameless‘ coffeehouse-set clash on this past Sunday’s episode might have been Jimmy’s exploding moment, but it was leading lady Emmy Rossum who once again blew us away (no disrespect to her extremely talented co-star Justin Chatwin).

RELATED | Shameless Season 3 Finale Spoilers — Fiona Meets Beto

With her boyfriend’s secret plans for his Gallagher-less life in Michigan exposed, Fiona and Jimmy’s relationship reached its boiling point during an ugly, heated fight. (In case you missed it or want to relieve the messy blowout, click here.) The confrontation wasn’t pretty or easy to watch, but it was a thing of beauty. From Fiona’s heartbreak and disappointment at the realization that the love of her life was pulling away to her fiery anger at his betrayal to the hurt in her eyes when Jimmy labeled her home “a goddamn slum,” Rossum was captivating. She may have let out a disbelieving chortle when he threw the last insult her way, but the emotion that followed was no laughing matter.

“You made me feel like I could depend on you, and now it’s a slum?” she spat back, tears in her eyes.

Later, after confessing her “idiot” mistakes to her boss mid-drunken makeout – “It’s not even the first time that he’s lied. I closed my stupid eyes to it because I wanted it to work so badly,” she said, her voice cracking at her own denial – Fiona called Jimmy to tell him they can make it work.

We might not have done the same thing in her situation, but Rossum is so terrific and believable as the wounded tough girl that we totally bought her late night plea.

HONORABLE MENTION | Revenge‘s Gabriel Mann, who fell apart so beautifully when Nolan learned of Padma’s death. The couple never got much screen time, but Mann’s complete destruction as Emily hugged her techie pal made us ache for his loss nevertheless.

What performance knocked your socks off this week?

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Performer of the Week

1. Alexander says:

YES YES YES give Emmy her Emmy!

2. Joe says:

Emmy Rossum never gets enough credit for her work in Shameless. She should be right up there with Danes and Lange for awards.

• Ginger says:

Here here! She is seriously underrated and absolutely amazing in everything Shameless throws her way.

• Josh says:

I think the show is just too much for the straight edge Emmy voters…She’s so wonderful in EVERY episode…She definitely deserves an Emmy to match her name.

3. She was stronger in the episode at the courtroom.

4. ani says:

That show deserves a lot of accolades. Also fiona, Ian and emma are so awesome.

5. Martin says:

It’s a shame but so true that no matter how deserved Shameless is, the only Emmy it will ever have is Emmy Rossum.

6. joanie says:

I so agree! Emmy is awesome and so deserving of an emmy; and the ensemble cast is amazing. Personally, Macy is the weak link in the show.

7. Kathryn says:

Gabriel Mann did an amazing job! I’m so glad he got an honorable mention.

8. Brandy says:

She’s so incredibly talented. Real shame the Emmy’s ignore her ever year.I still remember in season one when Monica wheels into town and wants to take baby Liam, and she confronts Monica by saying, “You were my mother too!” Best acting ever!

9. Spencer says:

She is incredibly talented. She regularly hits it out of the park on Shameless. I don’t understand how she doesn’t get more recognition.

10. N says:

Gabriel Mann!

11. Bebe says:

I have been wondering this entire season when Emmy was going to get recognized in this segment. She has been utterly amazing this whole season and I do agree that the courtroom episode was probably a better showcase, but she has killed it every single episode this season.

12. AB26 says:

Emmy has been deserving of an Emmy since season one. She was amazing last year when Monica broke her heart yet again, she was so good you could see the pain n hurt rolling off her in waves. She has been wonderful this season fighting for her family in every episode.

13. Lauren says:

So happy to see Emmy get some recognition. She is one of my favourite actresses on tv. She has been amazing from day one, but she has really been killing it this season. The courtroom episode was another stellar one. I hope she finally gets an Emmy nomination this year, it’s a travesty she still hasn’t received one. Everyone on the show is amazing, Bill Macy, Cameron Monaghan, Jeremy Allen White, Laura Slade Wiggins, Emma Kenney, Noel Fisher, Emma Greenwell, Joan Cusack. It’s a shame the show itself doesn’t get more hype, it’s my favourite show on right now, you never know what’s going to happen.

14. whisperintherain says:

I don’t watch Shameless, so I can’t assess the quality of Emmy Rossum’s work, but the one performance that left me shaking like a leaf this past week was Christine Baranski’s on the latest episode of The Good Wife. In the course of the episode, she went from hilarious to absolutely heartbreaking. I really hope this ends up being the episode she submits for Emmy consideration this year and that she finally gets the long-overdue recognition she richly deserves for her consistently brilliant work on the finest show on CBS’s schedule.

15. Ben says:

Emmy Rossum is my performer of the week EVERY week during each season of Shameless. I had high hopes that she’d get an Emmy nomination for season 2 of Shameless, but since that didn’t happen maybe this year will be the year!

16. KC says:

Emmy Rossum is amazing on Shameless, she really deserves more recognition for her work!! (I still remember that scene from “A Long Way from Home” when she was telling the judge about that time Frank left them on the street and Ian was sick)

17. Elyse says:

I don’t watch Shameless because I don’t have the movie channels BUT I do watch revenge and I’m so glad Gabriel Mann got honorable mention! he was amazing!

18. Diane says:

Finally!!! I have been so impressed with Emmy Rossum all season. She is the most underrated actress on TV. Thank you for recognizing her. I’m going to miss Shameless after this week’s finale.

19. mitzy says:

Weeeeeeeeeee!!! Go Emmy go :-) finally some acclaim for her stunning performance! Shamelles rules, it’s a shame that they don’t get enough credit…totaly underated :)

20. ctownlegend says:

Emmy should have gotten this a bunch of other times also lol.

21. houster says:

Emmy Rossum should also be performer of the week because of her excellent singing of the National Anthem on Opening Day for the Mets at Citi Field.

22. Shaun says:

I would have put Dinklage for his scene with Tywin.

23. Sarahliz says:

Gabriel Mann should have had this. He was so incredible, and never gets the credit he deserves for often being the glue that holds the show together.

24. rachelle says:

FINALLY, some recognition for the actors of Shameless. They’re underrated for sure.

I agree with someone above for the Dinklage vote. He also would have been a great choice because that scene with daddy Lannister was insanely good.

25. dog trainer says: