Melissa McCarthy Hosts Saturday Night Live: Watch Video of the Best and Worst Sketches!

Melissa-McCarthy-Saturday-Night-Live-HostThe last new episode of Saturday Night Live opened with Justin Timberlake getting inducted into the five-time host club. After Melissa McCarthy‘s stellar sophomore outing as the show’s emcee this week, let’s hope it doesn’t take her too too long to achieve that milestone herself.

Right from the opening seconds of her monologue — as she staggered onto the stage in a pair of sadistically high, sparkly red heels — McCarthy displayed the game-for-anything brand of comedy that made her such a hit when she first took the reins back in October 2011. That committment to the cause managed to wring laughs even from the sketches where the writing wasn’t quite equal to the Identity Thief star’s skills (that Wheel of Fortune parody; the woman seeking a loan for a pizza-eating business). Below, my picks for the week’s best (hard to narrow it down to two!) and worst…

BEST: OPENING MONOLOGUE
McCarthy rode those hateful heels for laughs big and small, verbal and physical — and sometimes both at the same time, like when she face-planted in front of the SNL band after trying to prop herself up on a stool, then squeaked, “This smells like a lot of musicians.” And the award for the season’s best monologue goes to…

BEST: HONEY-BAKED HAM BAKE-OFF
McCarthy took the earnest enthusiasm and occasional ridiculousness of county-fair compeitions to deranged heights as her Jean Carrerra returned for another crack at glory, keeping in mind the judges’ request from a year prior that she “work on her presentation.” The ensuing dance routine — featuring Taran Killam and Bobby Moynihan as choreographed pigs — included snippets of “Push It,” “Can’t Touch This,” and “Get Ready for This.” I lost it during the “reel ‘em in for slaughter” segment; now somebody tell me I wasn’t alone. (Video not available, probably due to song clearance issues.)

HONORABLE MENTION: JACOB, RECENT BAR MITZVAH BOY
Who knew Vanessa Bayer would be such a perfect vessel for capturing pubescent teenage awkwardness? Jacob’s utter inability to interact with Weekend Update host Seth Meyers — or ever divert from his pre-written script — was almost as impressive as Bayer not breaking character and busting out laughing.

WORST: THE VOICE SPOOF
The sketch got off to a bad start when Taran Killam flubbed his intro as Carson Daly, but the far bigger crime was the sinking feeling that perhaps only Kate McKinnon (as Shakira) had ever watched more than 30 minutes of NBC’s hit reality singing show. The usually terrific Bill Hader’s Adam Levine didn’t try to get a single detail correct (right down to wearing a jacket over his trademark white t-shirt), there wasn’t a whiff of the Adam-Blake Shelton bromance, and the central premise (The Voice lets everyone through past the blind auditions) felt too rudimentary a joke about a show now into its fourth season. Maybe I’m too harsh a critic seeing how I’ve recapped every episode of The Voice since it premiered, but this should’ve been much, much funnier, no?

What did you think of McCarthy’s sophomore hosting effort? What were your picks for best and worst moments? Do you think she’ll eventually become a “Five Timer”? Sound off in the comments!

1. Jan says:

Loved it. I seldom watch Saturday Night Live, but when there is someone like Melissa McCarthy, I don’t miss it. She always delivers and has since her days as Sookie on Gilmore Girls!

2. TV Gord says:

I enjoyed the taped piece with Melissa as the basketball coach. The shot of her firing the t-shirt cannon at cowering fans in the uppermost corner of the stands made me laugh.

I like Melissa McCarthy (like Jan) going back to her Gilmore Girls days, but a little of her goes a long way. It seems all of the characters she plays are variations on the same clumsy, clueless, oblivious woman. It would have been nice to see her branch out a little more, because by now, we’ve seen it all before.

• zaza says:

TV Gord…I agree with you. The characters felt a little redundant. There were numerous sketches that involved her eating, drinking or singing about food. Yes, people loved the ranch dressing thing, but not every sketch needs to involve her stuffing something in her face. She’s a very talented, funny lady. She could do so much more. This is the tragedy of SNL. Something is funny once and they just keep doing it, beating it into the ground.

• Petey says:

Speaking of the Ranch dressing lady. I so wanted her to bring that character back. Very disappointed

• Magically Suspicious says:

The Ranch dressing lady wasn’t invented for SNL. She’s been doing that character for years. She has a YouTube channel where she does movie reviews and the like. It’s hilarious.

3. forrest says:

Had high hopes for the voice sketch- but have to agree the writers obviously didn’t capture anything authentic. It fell flat – the opportunity was missed.

• Stacie says:

Proves that not even NBC staff members are watching NBC anymore.

• dan says:

They probably threw it together at the last minute to reuse the chairs they had invested in when Adam Levine hosted, and hey had Cameron Diaz and Jerry Seinfeld in his opening monologue.

4. Mike says:

The Voice was definitely the worst of the night, I don’t watch the Voice regularly, but it just felt off, otherwise I thought it was one of the best episodes of the season, and the Voice sketch was the only sketch I really didn’t like.

5. chloe says:

I really like her, but I hate that she always defaults to the clumsy, fat girl thing.

• Blank Slate says:

My thoughts exactly. Which is why I so did NOT enjoy this SNL at all. She seems talented but enough with the fat, stupid skits using her as the vehicle for bad sketching.

• Patty says:

I was just about to say that. I really like Melissa, I think she’s amazingly talented, but she played a version of a stupid fat girl in every skit. She’s so much better than that. Why can’t she realize that?

• Patrick says:

This is what I noticed in the first ep she hosted. Every bit with her was about a fat, clueless pig who was overly aggressive. I mean, its funny at times, but it gets old. And I sort of feel bad for Melissa McCarthy. She is the butt of all the jokes. This is like that mean spirited movie review of Identity Thief. But it was right. She does play the “big pig” in all her roles.

• Mo says:

Besides possibly the pizza eating skit, not once was there a joke about her weight. You all are projecting that onto the skits. She is just playing a funny, clueless person. Nothing in the skits would change or be less funny if she weighed 130 lbs. I really believe you guys just see a heavy person and assume that is what people are laughing at. She doesn’t need to change. You need to change your perception.

• JLK says:

I agree. Well said.

• Nat says:

Exactly. Falling down in those heels for example worked (for me) not because of her size, but because she played on the persistence and stubbornness to stay upright in them. But if you were laughing because you saw a fat person falling over, then that’s on you.

• The Squatch says:

I was just about to post something to this effect myself, but I believe you said it well enough. Thank you. None of those skits mentioned were about her being fat.

• scooby says:

Exactly. Some of these people read too much Rex Reed. The pizza sketch is simply based on a staple of physical comedy, use of food esp. through either stuffing in your face or throwing at others. She already did a prat fall in the monologue. Physical comedy is what she does. She’d be doing the same thing if she were thin, so I say leave her alone. Melissa’s character work is, to me, stronger than Kristen Wiig’s. I thought Wiig was and is very gifted, but the characters themselves were often one joke at best and almost always annoying. If I’d had to watch that (no additional jokes) Lawrence Welk sketch again I was gonna lose it. Melissa actually got the audience on her side with “awwww”s at the end of the pizza sketch. She’s endearing. Her comedy actually has nothing to do with her weight. I agree with the idea that if you were laughing at her because she’s heavy, that’s on you.

6. LuAnne says:

I say let Melissa do the writing AND the acting. she is genius. I have been a loyal SNL viewer since 1975 (with the exception of the early 80’s) and I am accepting of the good sketches and the bad sketches because overall the show is still cutting-edge hilarious and intelligent.

7. Lowell says:

And Don Pardo was back as announcer!

• rockgolf says:

They may have re-used old voice clips of Don, since both Melissa McCarthy and Phoenix have appeared on SNL before. But, yes, I’ve noticed they’ve used “Don Pseudo” instead of Don Pardo. You’ve got to wonder how much longer he’ll do this, though.

He’s 95 years old! Surely that’s some kind of record for someone working regularly on a network TV series. He’s also the only person to be on SNL staff since the beginning. Even Lorne Michaels walked away for a year.

8. Nat says:

Peter Drunklage!

9. laura says:

She is so incredible!! She is talented and beautiful. I take issue with everyone saying that she’s defaulting to the “clumsy fat girl” comedy… it’s physical comedy. Period. Fat, skinny, short, tall — it doesn’t matter. She has talent. The parts she played last night succeeded because of her timing, acting chops and writing. I’m a fan.

10. The Voice sketch was the worst even though I watched The Voice on a regular basis but the Million Dollar Wheel spoof was by far the “worst” ever in my opinion. Overall, Melissa McCarthy’s second stint as host did OK than the first back in 2011. Let’s hope Peter Dinklage should host SNL sometime in the near future. I mean, Game of Thrones is one of the best shows I’ve ever seen on HBO.

11. Jennie says:

I usually hate Drunk Uncle, but Peter Drunklage was pretty darn funny. I’d love to see Peter actually host one day.

• Cornucopia says:

Your post to Lorne Michaels’ ears… Fantastic actor, comedy or otherwise.

• JLK says:

I would love to see him host too. He’s certainly demonstrated a great sense of humor on the talk show circuit the last couple of weeks. I do worry that the writers would go for the lowest common denominator and we’d see an hour of sketches with short jokes rather than funny stuff that has nothing to do with his physicality like his guest appearance last night. Still, I hope he hosts and I find myself pleasantly surprised by the writers.

12. Gale says:

I loved every skit when Melissa when hosted the first time. But this time, I felt like the writing wasn’t up to the same standard. I find that too often the writers sex (Kim Jong Un wasn’t funny) and expletives (coach Kelly) for actual humor.

13. Brandy says:

The basketball coach and 90’s dating video sketches were my personal favorites. This whole episode had me rolling.

14. McCarthy played the same character in every sketch.

I agree about The Voice sketch, especially since the four judges rarely all turn around. They could have made fun of how the judges never seem to criticize and are always really really nice. The only thing they got right was Usher (the way he sits). But at least I found The Voice sketch to be somewhat interesting and entertaining.

It’s freaky by how much Bayer actually looks like a 13 year old boy in those sketches.

15. letsbehonest says:

While Melissa was great last night, my favorite part of the night was Drunk Uncle and Peter Drunklage. Honorable mention to Keenan’s Bathroom Businessman.

16. Rivera says:

Mellisa McCarthy sure does have “hulayhulayhulay” in her performance ;D
    The Voice sketch was not superb but Kate McKinnon was spot on as ever!

17. Mark Cosenza says:

my favorite actually was the one in the last five minutes with the dating tips … Kate McKinnon is way underused on SNL…

• Kelly says:

Have to agree about Kate McKinnon. She’s one of my favorite performers this year.

• Eli says:

Kate McKinnon was in more sketches than Vanessa Bayer… whenever there’s a female host all the female SNL members tend to get underused.

18. dani n. says:

Wasn’t JT already inducted when he hosted? I didn’t watch last night partly cause I thought it was a rerun.

19. Eddie says:

Awful, awful, episode. The Coach and Wheel of Fortune skits were the only moderately amusing parts of the episode.

20. paula says:

I enjoyed pretty much the whole thing, and every skit with Melissa. Loved the ‘presentation’ concept in the Ham sketch. I also thought the “pizza eater” sketch was so funny, I watched it twice (dvr)–all the way to the pretend slo-mo triumph at the end. Same with The Voice sketch–sure, it wasn’t accurate at all, but it was still funny (‘You don’t have a parrot?’). I also loved the dating advice infomercial at the end–crazy eyes, so funny! The only parts I didn’t really like were the Business Bathroom sketch (it had a excellent point, but it wasn’t funny) and Drunk Uncle–but I don’t usually like that one much.

21. Sarabi says:

Melissa is great, she’s one of the better hosts, if not the best! Having said that, I think the writers are relying too much on physical comedy whenever she’s around. Let’s be honest, would the opening monologue and the ham sketch be as funny if they were performed by a fitter host? I don’t think so. But maybe this tells more about me than about the people at SNL, I don’t know. I think the other sketches were okay in that regard, her being on the heavier side wasn’t in the focus at all. Every sketch should be like that. They should be funny no matter who performs them. If the material is good, then the hosts can use their talent and make it even better.
    Also, I’m always eager to see more Kate McKinnon! You go girl!

• laura says:

THIS. I couldn’t agree more.

• Montavilla says:

I could imagine Amy Poehler (or Tina Fey, or Kristin Wiig, or any female SNLer) doing that shoe monologue and it being funny. It had nothing to do with how heavy a woman is and everything to do with how stupid and dangerous those shoes are. I loved it. Loved. It.

I agree with all the other points you made.

22. zaza says:

There was a SNL still photo of Melissa in which she looked gorgeous. I thought “why can’t one of her characters look like that, instead of always looking like a frumpy, schlumpy middle-aged person?” She could play someone rich and snooty just as well as she plays pathetic and desperate. Branch out, SNL writers!

23. tahina says:

She is the only comedian I like. Pretty and a real professional, but most of all makes me laugh..and a cutie. :-S

24. Crixus says:

Kate McKinnon is the strongest player this season. Keenan didn’t make any effort when trying to impersonate Cee Lo. He just shows up and does Keenan in a ridiculous Cee Lo costume.

25. KJ says:

Loved the ESPN sketch (mainly her in the window when her assistant coach was being interviewed) and the drunk uncle (“Marco?” “Rubio!”)

She’s a great host.

26. Magically Suspicious says:

Her episodes have me rolling from beginning to end. I even laughed at The Voice sketch. It’s not often I DVR an episode of SNL and then watch it more than once, but I watched this episode twice yesterday alone. They need to have on at least once every season. She is the perfect mixture of dry witty sarcasm and physical humor….which everyone mistakes for ‘fat humor’. She’s brilliant. I’d love to see her and JT together.

27. Bob says:

Can it please be next February already, so Seth Myers can leave (FINALLY!) SNL, and they can get a good head writer???

28. Annie says:

I’ve been a fan of Melissa McCarthy since GG, but, just like last time, I was very underwhelmed by her episode. I’m a loyal SNL viewer, but it just didn’t hit me. I was very disappointed. Very few laughs throughout – and when I did it was rarely, if at all, to do with McCarthy. I’ll still love her and I do find her funny in movies, but this just wasn’t for me.

29. A says:

OUTSIDE THE LINES! SO AMAZING

30. JASon says:

Did she recur the character “That could get me out of a few jams!?

31. Danielle H. says:

I wanted to like this more. Grant it, I did not loathe it like I have alot of this season, but coming off JTs amazing ep it just didn’t make me laugh out loud as much as I wanted it to. That being said, Melissa is so insanely talented and one of the best actors, comedic or regular, I have ever seen. She just totally commits. Maybe it’s just because I felt she played similar crazy white trash characters throughout the night that put me off.
    But dude, the little Jewish boy skit is horrific and they need to kill it. All I know is I start every Weekend Update by hoping as hard as I can that Stefon is coming.. I hold my breath eveery time Seth introduces some one! LOL

32. Not1ofYouPeople says:

Never watched the gilmore girls, but I’ve watched her since Samantha Who? and I think she’s hilarious!

33. Jeanrie says:

That ham sketch was hi-lair. I could not stop laughing. She is committed and I love it!

34. furniture says:

Hi, thanks for sharing.

35. KevyB says:

Sorry, but that monologue was extremely mediocre. The best monologue of the season still goes to Louis CK.