American Idol: What Should the Top 6 Sing for Bacharach-David/'Free' Choice Week?

American-Idol-Season-12-Top-6We asked for fresh, modern music on Season 12 of American Idol, and executive producer Nigel Lythgoe has responded with…the Burt Bacharach/ Hal David Songbook!

[Insert Sound of Crickets Here]

Ah well, at least the second theme for Top 6 Week — during which the contestants will each cover two songs apiece — is “The Song I Wish I’d Written.” That should yield some recent, not-done-to-death, edgy and/or unexpected material, as long as there’s not some heinous fine print that turns it into “The Song I Wish I’d Written (From the List of 11 Songs That Uncle Nigel Bothered to Clear).”

RELATED | American Idol‘s Ratings Woes: 8 Common-Sense Ways to Salvage Season 12

Below, my picks for the week’s dual themes — though it’s worth noting that a revised press release from Fox that hit my inbox overnight deleted mention of the previously announced Bacharach/David theme. No official word from the network on the reason for this retraction, but it’s cause for a sliver of hope, no? Anyhoo…

VIDEO | Idol‘s Devin Velez on Nicki Minaj Feud and That Infamous Trio! Plus: Bieber & Pink Theme Nights?

The Song You Wish You Wrote
Janelle Arthur: Hayden Panettiere’s “Telescope” (from Nashville)
Candice Glover: Red Hot Chili Peppers’ “Under the Bridge
Kree Harrison: Jack White’s “Love Interruption
Amber Holcomb: Amerie’s “Gotta Work
Angie Miller: Kate Bush’s “Wuthering Heights
Lazaro Arbo: Glen Medeiros’ “Nothing’s Gonna Change My Love for You

RELATED | American Idol Top 7 Results Recap: The Rock Week Horror Picture Show

Burt Bacharach/ Hal David Songbook
Janelle Arthur: Bobbie Gentry’s version of “I’ll Never Fall in Love Again
Candice Glover: A Sybil-esque take on “Don’t Make Me Over
Kree Harrison: Shelby Lynne’s version of “Anyone Who Had a Heart
Amber Holcomb: Naked Eyes’ version of “(There’s) Always Something There to Remind Me
Angie Miller: Dionne Warwick’s “Wishin’ and Hopin’
Lazaro Arbos: Tom Jones’ “What’s New Pussycat?

Your turn. If you ran the world, or at least Fox, what would the Top 6 sing next week? Sound off in the comments, and for all my Idol recaps, interviews, videos and commentary, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Comments (228)

• Does it matter what Lazaro sing anymore?

Btw, you know Amber’s gonna sing “A House Is Not A Home”. Guaranteed.

Comment by EVPandHC – April 5, 2013 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OMG If Laz sings What’s New Pussycat? I will die from laughter.

Comment by Gailer – April 5, 2013 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This ^ LOL too

Comment by Jen – April 5, 2013 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He probably will too. XD

Comment by Harmony – April 5, 2013 10:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Evil Slezak was out to play….

Comment by HitTheGroundRunning – April 5, 2013 10:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yep!

Comment by Bonnie A. – April 5, 2013 11:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • “You ain’t seen nothing yet” by Bachman Turner Overdrive or “My generation” by The Who would be naturals for Lazaro.

Comment by Evil Var – April 6, 2013 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It woukd be a ridiculous failure for Lazaro to sign What’s New Pussycat? He should sing Herb Alpert’s “this guys in love with you”. Bach&David songs have huge ranges, except for this one because Herb didn’t have a big range. Lazaro could get through it without looking or sounding awful.

Comment by Suzanne – April 5, 2013 11:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • But no one would hear that he actually pulled off the vocal because we’d all be laughing too hard.

Comment by AlyB – April 6, 2013 06:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Lol. I literally cracked up when I read that suggestion! Lol. Nice, Slezak.

Comment by RodMod – April 6, 2013 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lazaro could sit on a stool and sing nothing and still get enough votes to sail thru to next week. And he knows it, that’s why he has a smirk on his face and has stopped trying. The one thing that is good about him is that he is sticking it to the producers.

Comment by bringbackDevinwithaguitarorpiano – April 6, 2013 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • bs’d
      While I agree that Lazaro should have gone weeks ago, I have been watching some of his past performances with my medical eyes. I really think that besides a stutter, and I mean this sincerely, he may have a hearing problem. His voice is not awful and I think if he could hear the lyrics better he might sing better. He is not one of the top three by any means, but I think he should get a hearing analysis done. :s Just saying.

Comment by Rivky – April 6, 2013 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think “The Song I Wish I’d Written” could give us some really great performances. Remember when the Top 4 did this theme last year? Phillip Phillips blew us away with “Volcano,” Jessica Sanchez delivered “And I Am Telling You I’m Not Going,” and Joshua Ledet gave us “It’s A Man Man Man’s World.” Exciting!

Comment by LeahKittyS – April 5, 2013 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re making me salivate for S11! Maybe next Wed/Thurs nights I’ll hit up YT and watch S11 performances instead of watching AI.

Comment by whosays – April 5, 2013 09:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Season 11 was a very salivation-worthy season. That one and Season 10 were my all-time favorites. Both of those tours (and bodies of recording work) were kick-awesome.

Comment by LeahKittyS – April 5, 2013 09:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • S11 > S8 > S10 > S7 > > S4 > S3 > S5 > > > S1 > S6 > S2 > S12 > S9 (that’s my personal opinion)

Comment by Mafs95 – April 6, 2013 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • s8 was so good. allison, adam, kris, anoop, and matt… it was a talent buffet.

Comment by Anise – April 6, 2013 10:00 PM PDT
          • I like this is a lot! but i think I would put season 1 higher for the sake of ms. kelly clarkson, and I’d put S2 behind S12. S12 might have lazaro, but it still has a heap load of talent (i.e. Candice Kree Angie Amber Burnell Devin Janelle hello???), funny, honest judges, great guest performers, good stage production…yeah its obvious that the way the competition is turning out (thanks to producers) is pretty screwed up, but thats about it.

Comment by sg54 – April 7, 2013 09:00 AM PDT
          • Mafs- Good list. I didn’t see 1-3, so I can only go w/ 4 on up. Season 4 carries a special place because I’d never even heard of the show before then. I didn’t know who Ryan, Simon, & Randy were. The NHL was locked out and I was flipping channels one night. I thought I had stumbled upon a new show. I knew who Paula was though. I was like “oh, so this is what Paula is up to eh?” I remembered her from being cute back in the late 80s.

The first audtion I saw was this girl who sang Girls Just Wanna Have Fun. She whooped it out. Then they asked her to sing another song.

I went to tell my friends in an attempt to help this new show out and get some viewers.

I’d say season 8 was a touch better than season 11. Season 11 was heading to #1 all time IMO until the final 2 weeks. From Week 9 to Week 4 there wasn’t a bad performance in the bunch. Final 3 all 3 of em were 1 for 3 I felt in terms of good songs. Then in the Finals both Phillip & Jessica went 1 for 3 again. So that put season 8 back on top. Still, season 11 was a lot of fun. The top 7 were all great and I would have been happy w/ any of em winning.

Season 10 was both great and frustrating. I felt Haley and James were by far the best 2 on the show. I kind of knew James wasn’t going to win since heavy metal isn’t that popular when compared to country. To see Haley go down and the comments she got really hacked me off.

So my list would be
            8, 11, 4, 10, 7, 6, 5, 9, 12

Comment by Danny – April 7, 2013 10:09 AM PDT
    • For anyone hoping for fresh, original, current, song choices, “And I Am Telling You…” and “Man’s World” are about as far from encouraging as possible.

Comment by Kevin C. – April 6, 2013 08:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lazaro could sing “Always Something There to Remind Me” to some cue cards.

Comment by Shane – April 5, 2013 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Awww. LMFAO Brilliant.

Comment by Maj – April 5, 2013 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hey theres an idea! I know you didn’t mean it this way but what about Lazaro singing some LMFAO?

Comment by Kiwi – April 5, 2013 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • For the song he wished he’d written? ;-)

Comment by My Alter Ego – April 5, 2013 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yeah. Why doesn’t he do Sexy And I Know It. That guy on The Voice did a terrific job of it. But I doubt Lazaro will sing it as well as him or with as much creativity as him. That’s the difference between AI and The Voice this year.

Comment by Lee – April 6, 2013 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • too funny! :)

Comment by Kris – April 5, 2013 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LMAO Shane, too funny (and painfully accurate)

Comment by Jen – April 5, 2013 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • A+

Comment by Harmony – April 5, 2013 10:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I never knew Always Something There to Remind Me was a Bacharach song.

Comment by deedee – April 6, 2013 12:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • For the song he wished he’d written, Lazaro should sing “Tequila” by The Champs — this way he’d remember the lyrics.

Comment by ThatBob – April 6, 2013 11:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As someone old enough to remember, I’m certain that was Dusty Springfield singing “Wishin’ and Hopin’.”

Comment by vincent dante – April 5, 2013 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They both did covers of it back in the day…pretty similar takes, I just thought Dionne’s might work better in this instance.

Comment by Michael Slezak – April 5, 2013 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think that “covers” refers only to subsequent recordings by other artists; the first recording by a given artist is the ORIGINAL, not a “cover.” That said, Dusty had the hit single played on Top 40 radio in 1964, while Dionne’s recording was merely the B-side to “This Empty Place” in 1963, so in a way, whose is the “original” is open to some debate.

Comment by marie – April 7, 2013 05:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Most of their songs were recorded by multiple artists. Wishin’ was actually first recorded by Dionne – even if I only know Dusty’s version. Alfie for instance was recorded in two versions for the film. Cilla Black in the UK and Cher in the US. But that’s just a detail. ;)

Comment by Maj – April 5, 2013 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I actually think that would be a terrible choice for Angie (in fact it has been a terrible choice for anyone….. ever) but it would be really bad for her

Comment by HitTheGroundRunning – April 5, 2013 10:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s a given that a woman is going to win this season.

Comment by Michael Sacal – April 5, 2013 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Giving Lazaro the worst/ chessiest songs… I see what you did there. You must still be steaming, I am too.

Comment by Adrian Arciniega – April 5, 2013 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Blame America. Assume that Nigel and co. didn’t manipulate the result, America voted Lazaro into top 3, which isn’t the judges’ fault.

Comment by Vighorois – April 6, 2013 02:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Candice MUST do Don’t Make Me Over.

Comment by Vetle – April 5, 2013 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes yes yes x infinity. She’d kill it. I remember the song because Glee’s Amber Riley covered it once upon a time, and it’d be perfect.

Comment by Tom – April 5, 2013 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That would be gorgeous. She could wring from the song every last drop of emotion it demands. Great idea.

Comment by marie – April 7, 2013 06:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At one point you know we will hear “What The World Needs Now”. My bet is the group number. Maybe along with “Do You Know The Way To San Jose”. I can’t believe I actually know B&D songs. I’m showing my age, I guess. LOL

Comment by GinnyB – April 5, 2013 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually, I’m thinking “What The World Needs Now” could be a nice choice for Angie… Although my initial thought for her (or even better, for Kree) could be “God Give Me Strength” , even if it’s just Bacharach without David.

Oh, and pity Burnell out, I would’ve liked to hear him sing “She”…

Comment by Delirious – April 8, 2013 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I remember reading a really long list of cleared songs for AI last year and not sure Wuthering Heights was there. Might have been though. This Woman’s Work would sure get cleared (was on the list & was performed on Idol before but only the Maxwell version)…that would sure be a huge moment for Angie, if she could stay behind the piano the whole time.

Love the choice for Kree. Love Interruption is such a great song – and a wee bit country, very bluesy…would definitely be in her wheelhouse. Now, I know Seven Nation Army was performed on The Voice a few times, and the X Factor UK runner up Marcus Collins even recorded a cover version, but still I’m not sure if Jack would clear this song for AI. But then he lives in Nashville and Kree is good so I guess he’d do it for her. :)

Comment by Maj – April 5, 2013 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Can the save be used at Top 5? I’m assuming unless Lazaro gets booted in week 6 they will use the save on any of the five girls! Hasn’t the pity vote run it’s course yet! Would they use the save on Janelle?

Comment by JASon – April 5, 2013 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m sorry but Wuthering Heights is untouchable. No one can sing as well as Kate Bush. Even I found the Hayley Westenra version downright mediocre. Tori Amos would be a good alternative for songstress with piano kind of aesthetic. But I don’t think Angie would even think of her to begin with. I personally would love to see her performing Amos’ Enjoy The Silence cover. That would be a moment for her, I guarantee!

Comment by Adam Fachry – April 5, 2013 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I mean, “sing it (the song) as well” sorry, fast typing.

Comment by Adam Fachry – April 5, 2013 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Pat Benatar does a terrific version

Comment by Jennifer Mangold Anaya – April 5, 2013 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hey…virtual high five for someone actually knowing who Hayley Westenra is! Love your suggestions for Angie…..I would also put in the piano driven Samson by Regina Spektor or even Calls me home by Shannon LaBrie.

Comment by Miss O'Ginny – April 6, 2013 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The key to covering Kate Bush is interpretation. Trying to hit her notes is usually courting disaster. I know Maxwell had some commercial success with “this Woman’s Work,” but just because a song is about childbirth doesn’t mean the cover should sound like a man in labor. My favorite Kate Bush cover is “the Hounds of Love” by the Futureheads. They get extra points for speeding up the song, which is so much harder than slowing it down. Kate apparently appreciated it too. I hope Janelle owns this week with her creativity. I know she doesn’t stand a snowball’s chance in hell of winning but every week she’s still in the competition is all the better for it. Too bad Amber hasn’t mixed things up more, because she would really tear up “I just don’t know what to do with myself.” If she sang it now though, it would be more of the same from her and she’d probably get called out for it.

Comment by nhf7170 – April 6, 2013 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • A quick google search will take you to the current list of cleared songs, which is somewhat bigger than last year’s.

Here’s my take on what each contestant needs to bring to their performance this weeks if they want to stay out of the bottom 3.

Candice needs to bring back the runs, but also bring a relevant sound. California King Bed or Take a Bow by Rhianna would be good.

Angela just needs to sit at the piano. Too Close by Alex Clare?

Kree needs to pick a song she can emote. I Won’t Give Up by Jason Mraz or You’ll Be In My Heart from Tarzan.

Janelle needs to gain fans and not push too much vocally. Mean by Taylor Swift could sink the tween girl vote easily.

Amber needs ENERGY. Wannabe by the Spice Girls. Unwritten by Natasha Beddingfield. Magic by B.o.B and Rivers Cuomo.

Comment by Harvey – April 6, 2013 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My mouth just dropped when I saw “This Woman’s Work” by Maxwell for Angela. OH…MY…GOD…..PERFECT! JUST PERFECT! I’d get absolute chills if she sang this song. Good one…no Fantastic choice!

Comment by Jasmine – April 8, 2013 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If I want to watch Candice and Amber next week, I’ll probably have to take anti-nausea drugs to be able to listen to any rendition of Bacharach songs. He’s the WORST popular songwriter of his generation. Headache inducing, no range, no style, boring lyrics; pablum. Shame on the producers. Pay the darn money and get interesting songs by a great composer, even if they go all throwback and do (not previously done-to-death) Gershwin, Berlin, Cole Porter, Harold Arlen, etc. Or be really weird and do vintage/antique songs from the 1920s or 1930s (Lazaro’s already go something like the jazz hands). Or pay really big bucks and get Cohen, Dylan, James Taylor, SOMEthing different and good, or at least intriguing.

Comment by Lois Benton – April 5, 2013 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow. That’s all I have to say to someone who thinks Bacharach is a poor composer. Just the opposite. And the lyrics by Hal Prince are so incredible. I have never read a post that made me shake my head more than this one. Your ‘vintage songs from the 1920s’ is a really interesting idea……..

Comment by WendyL – April 5, 2013 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • sorry – correction – Hal DAVID is the lyricst for Bacharach – not Hal Prince!!

Comment by WendyL – April 5, 2013 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m so glad you said that. I always found him to be completely boring too. This is throwback of the worst kind for these young, aspiring artists. Maybe that’s the challenge Idol’s presenting. If they can make me enjoy any of those songs they are truly artists!

Comment by Amy – April 5, 2013 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh my god, you know nothing about songwriting if you think Burt Bacharach is the worst songwriter of his generation. Quite the opposite, my friend.

Comment by karen – April 5, 2013 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Burt Bacharach and Hal David wrote some wonderful songs; I don’t get the dismay over this theme. That said, I love the idea of a Cole Porter night!

Comment by susela – April 5, 2013 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Indeed, they wrote some great songs. As did the Beatles. Even though these themes tend to bring us songs done on idol before, they also tend to bring some of the best performances as well.

Comment by Ben – April 5, 2013 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wow! Cole Porter, the Gershwin brothers, Rogers & Hart would certainly be different, and would feature great melodies and sophisticated lyrics.
        However, let’s remember a bunch of these kids didn’t know the Beatles’ tunes they were singing. And the Beatles are certainly “more up to date” than Cole Porter, et al.
        But Lazaro could sing “Johnny One Note” — although I’m not certain he could handle the octave leap.

Comment by My Alter Ego – April 5, 2013 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They already have a long list of Bob Dylan songs cleared.

Comment by Harvey – April 6, 2013 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Are you insane?

Comment by marie – April 7, 2013 05:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • janelle would be slaughtered if she sang “telescope.” creative song choices don’t get you anywhere when nobody knows the song, and given the fact that she just missed the chopping block, she kind of desperately needs to sing something people have actually heard of.

that being said, i like telescope.

Comment by kate – April 5, 2013 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • None of those “I Wish I Wrote” songs seem recongizable to me. But then I only know some genre’s well. I think Kree and Janelle will go for some traditional country song. But Janelle’s on record of picking songs that haven’t been done as much… So I am curious what they will pick.

Comment by Stacey – April 5, 2013 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I could see Kree doing a decent “Walk on By” a la Kelly Clarkson.

Comment by Dave – April 5, 2013 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Would love to see Kree doing a rocked out girl’s version of Tim Hardin’s “If I were a carpenter” as done by the group Small Faces so many years ago….

Comment by Miss O'Ginny – April 6, 2013 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok I love Bacharach more than anyone –
    Janelle – The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance – (PERFECT with Boots!)
    Kree – Walk On By – (come on!)
    Amber – I Say A Little Prayer For You – (because she needs to go uptempo)
    Candice – Alfie – (this would be beyond awesome)
    Angie – Are You There (With Another Girl)?
    Lazaro – Trains and Boats and Planes – (because the lyrics are simpler ).

Comment by WL – April 5, 2013 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No one should ever sing “Walk on By” or “Say a Little Prayer” anywhere… ever… again… Which is really what’s wrong with this theme… Period… Oh, and “Alfie”? The sound you hear is a nation of people vomiting.

Comment by Mark – April 5, 2013 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’ll allow for humming along if heard on an elevator but beyond that, I’m with you.

Comment by AlyB – April 7, 2013 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Disagree. I think Janelle or Kree could absolutely kill (in a good way!) Walk on By. I’d love to hear them try.

Comment by Scott – April 7, 2013 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is a better list than Slezak made. But I do think “this guy’s in love with you” would be nice for Lazaro.

Comment by Suzanne – April 5, 2013 11:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thanks for “Are You There.” Great song. Very hard to sing, though; very difficult intervals. I don’t think Angie could handle it – I think she would be veering all over the place off-pitch.

Comment by marie – April 7, 2013 05:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I just sang through it in my head and you are right.

Comment by Luke – April 7, 2013 06:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • LOL, and that’s just in your HEAD – now try singing it out loud when you’ve only just learned Tedl the song!

Comment by marie – April 7, 2013 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • What is “Tedl the song”?

Comment by Luke – April 8, 2013 08:27 AM PDT
          • “Tedl” = typo from typing on little phone screen, LOL!

Comment by marie – April 8, 2013 08:45 AM PDT
  • Under the Bridge is one of my all time favorite songs. That would be a welcome performance on Idol. Though I think there is zero chance Candice would be thinking that direction or that TPTB would get that cleared. I don’t think any RHCP has ever been done on Idol?

Let’s hope they got enough flak for the Bacharach idea that they nixed it. They’ll probably replace it with 60s or something.

Comment by QueenJ – April 5, 2013 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You do know that somehow they will get in “What The World Needs Now”, perhaps in the group number. Maybe they’ll add in “Do You Know The Way to San Jose” as well. As to what the individuals will sing…I can’t even begin to speculate.

I’m amazed I actually know song titles.

Comment by GinnyB – April 5, 2013 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i need laz to sing whats new pussycat. it just has to happen
    and omg yes at amber doing amerie. ive been connecting them all season and i really dont know why but yes!

Comment by Amanda – April 5, 2013 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m personally very interested to see how Bacharach week unfolds, because these are outstanding TIMELESS songs that are super, super challenging to pull off and require real emotion. I love each and every Bacharach song choice Michael has listed here.

Comment by karen – April 5, 2013 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s What Friends are For will be the group song, guaranteed.

Comment by karen – April 5, 2013 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Probably. And that’s the one Burt Bacharach song I can’t stand.

Comment by marie – April 7, 2013 06:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh! After last night I can’t even think of what they will sing next week. I am still in shock.

I have not had a chance to listen to the studios on my good stereo till today and it makes a big difference with good speakers. These kids don’t sound half bad. Even Lazaro is able to be tolerated. I am at this moment listening to Janelle singing I Will. Dynamite. The girls are just great and to tell you the truth my favorite is Angie but I am okay with any of them winning.

Comment by MB – April 5, 2013 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If they’re going to do themes from 30+ years ago could they at least do Fleetwood Mac?

Comment by Christina – April 5, 2013 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All I can say is…Slezak you are a saint to still blog about this craptastic season. I read your blogs out of loyalty to you but I have ditched Idol totally for the Voice. The fact that you actually have to give any consideration to Lazaro and what he should sing is simply a sad state of affairs.

Comment by allie – April 5, 2013 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Couldn’t agree more. I watched about 5 minutes of Idol the other night and it made me long for season’s past. Just seeing the amazing Joshua Ledet and cute little Holly Cavanaugh in the stands reminded me just how horrid this season is. I truly believe not one of the standing 6 contestants from this season would have made the top 20 in seasons past. All I can say is ” thank God for “The Voice”.

Comment by TC – April 7, 2013 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not even going to give suggestions to the first theme, but for the “Free Choice”, I’d like to listen to the Top 6 singing:
    Candice Glover – “Lions, Tigers & Bears”, Jazmine Sullivan
    Amber Holcomb – “Almost Home”, Mariah Carey
    Lazaro Arbos – “Edge Of Glory”, Lady Gaga
    Angie Miller – “Only Hope”, Mandy Moore
    Janelle Arthur – “Man! I Feel Like A Woman”, Shania Twain
    Kree Harrison – “9 to 5″, Dolly Parton
    I’ll explain why those are my choices, because some of them are a bit odd. I tried to put as many current songs as I could (I know “9 to 5″ is 30 years old, but it’s a fun song):
    Candice – She said she loves Jazmine Sullivan and that she’d want to perform one of her songs someday. I also love Jazmine and even though “Famous” is my favourite song, the one I chose is more known by the general public and it would show an unpredictable side of her if she made some cool changes to the melody.
    Amber – This song is a pop ballad and it’s very current! I know it may be a Mariah Carey song, but I think she would probably enjoy some more exposure of her work and it would give Amber the opportunity to give a powerhouse vocal without being old fashioned.
    Lazaro – Firstly, this is a current song. Secondly, he knows the lyrics because he already sang it in Hollywood Week and it was actually my favourite vocal performance from him (at least the little snippet we heard). Finally, he can somehow connect with the lyrics… “I’m on the edge, the Edge, the edge…. THE EDGE, THE EDGE, THE EEEEEEEDGE!!!! I’m on the Edge of Glory… *and the rest of the chorus I don’t know! :-p *

Angie – I love this song!! It has never been done on Idol before and it’s quite emotional. Furthermore, she may interpret it in a religious way so she can connect with it as well! I think this song would showcase that ethereal and haunting quality in her voice. This could be a “moment”, so Randy would love it ahah :-)

Janelle – This is a cool song and it brings so much fun. Janelle can put a little twang on it and she can definitely pull it off. I think she needs to sing something upbeat and this one wouldn’t be a bad vocal performance ala “Gone” (Top 10), I believe!
    Kree – Another fun song and Kree definitely needs to bring her fun side because some of her late performances have been a bit of a snooze to me. She needs to show her more energic personality and with that song, she could bring it. I watched one of her Youtube videos and she sang this song so amazingly… she was having a great time and the little changes in the melody she made were pure gold!!
    To sum up: Candice needs a more obscure and unpredictable song choice but without abandoning her music style (R&B / Soul), Amber should sing a pop ballad or at least a song where she can belt those amazing high notes but at the same time dance a little bit (or at least moving around the stage), Lazaro must remember his lyrics and sing on tune, Angie shall play the piano and choose something that shows the ethereal quality of her voice, Janelle and Kree need to bring some fun and energy to their Country roots.

Comment by Mafs95 – April 5, 2013 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Those are great choices across the board. I really think something good is going to come out of this theme. If not, then the show really is in the toilet.

Comment by LeahKittyS – April 5, 2013 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I should be optimistic, but that just won’t happen. I wanted some “Evidence” or “I’m Going Down” or “You Set Me Free” again!!!

Comment by Mafs95 – April 5, 2013 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Angie can’t do “You Set Me Free.” That’s not a song she wish she wrote; that’s a song she actually DID write.

Comment by LeahKittyS – April 5, 2013 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • 1. I didn’t know it was “Songs They Wish They Had Written”, I thought it was “Free Choice” :O . It doesn’t change too much, though.
            2. I was talking about how I wish someone had a moment like that. I loved that performance and at that time she seemed pretty unique to me. Now, she’s kinda losing her spark… she used to be my favourite, now she’s my 3rd place.

Comment by Mafs95 – April 5, 2013 03:17 PM PDT
    • you scoff at the Bacharach theme – and your choices for free choice are supposed to be far superior?! 9 to 5 – Man, I Feel Like a Woman?! I thought the theme was supposed to encourage more current songs? Edgier?!

Comment by W – April 5, 2013 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I chose “9 to 5″ for Kree mainly because of her version in Youtube. She killed it! You should definitely watch it :p
        Regarding “Man! I Feel Like A Woman”, it’s a 14 years old song if I’m not mistaken, so it’s not “old stuff”. And it’s fun!! Who doesn’t enjoy some energy and fun in a performance?
        I’m sorry if you were somehow irritated by my choices, but I think they are pretty good and at least they were not done to death on Idol. But I appreciate your honesty, either way. :-)
        Oh, and it would be amazing if the theme encouraged more current songs, but since it is “Songs They Wish They Had Written”, it can also be some old stuff or classics like “What A Wonderful World” or “At Last” (please NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), so “9 to 5″ is not that bad :p

Comment by Mafs95 – April 5, 2013 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • PS: I’m sorry but since English is not my native tongue, I don’t know what does “scoff at” mean but I guess it’s something like ignoring or rejecting? I don’t know, please tell me ahah

Comment by Mafs95 – April 5, 2013 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • To scoff at something is to look down on it unfavorably; to call it stupid or pointless. Hope that helps.

Comment by LeahKittyS – April 5, 2013 03:32 PM PDT
          • @Leah, thanks! :)

Comment by Mafs95 – April 5, 2013 03:33 PM PDT
          • to “scoff at” is to mock, or ridicule.

Comment by Kiwi – April 5, 2013 03:35 PM PDT
          • I would just add that “scoff at” is generally used when someone is being dismissive of something that they think is ridiculous or pointless. It’s used mostly when someone is presenting an idea or an opinion.

Comment by AlyB – April 6, 2013 07:28 AM PDT
    • Mafs95, why would you think that “Lions, Tigers, & Bears” would be a good song for Candice as “Song I Wish I’d Written” choice. I just listened to a YouTube version of it. (After Jessica Sanchez’s performance of “Stuttering” last year, I’m intrigued by Jazemin Sullivan, the songwriter/performer.)

The song you chose “Lions, Tigers, & Bears” is long and, I think, would be hard to cut to the 90 or 120 second time slot allowed. Plus, melodically, it’s not at all interesting.

So is there something else that you think would captivate listeners if this is Candice’s choice?

Comment by My Alter Ego – April 6, 2013 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I love that song, but it’s true that it doesn’t have that much melody. However, that can be a good thing: she can change it an add some flavour to it. I believe that is the perfect song choice for her voice, providing she does the correct choice of arrangement. I could imagine the beginning being acapella, for example.

Comment by Mafs95 – April 6, 2013 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Betcha Lazaro’s going to forget the lyrics yet again, and his excuse will be that he doesn’t know the song.

Comment by Steve F. – April 5, 2013 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If that happens when he performs the “song he wishes he wrote” then he deserves to be eliminated on the spot. It’s the “song HE wishes HE wrote”, how can he forget the lyrics? lol. But that would be such a comic gold.

Comment by Adam Fachry – April 5, 2013 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This would be a great idea if the show was called American Idol 1969. How about the following week they do songs from Rod Stewart’s Great American Songbook Vols. 1-4, and finish off the elimination rounds with Great Drinking Songs from the 16th Century, Renaissance edition? Or just jab a hot poker in my ears. I can’t care any more.

Comment by Mark – April 5, 2013 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The producers are clearly clueless about what the viewers want. It’s like they don’t care at all. I like songs from the 60s and the 70s but this season it’s too much. I want something more current and radio-friendly.

Comment by JR – April 5, 2013 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • but still i love jessica sanches!!! haha :-*

Comment by mark – April 5, 2013 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • but still, i love jessica sanches!!! haha :-*

Comment by mark – April 5, 2013 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • how i wish to be part of american idol… :-) and be declared as a winner!.. haha but the talented person who truly deserved the prize will worth it!.. gudluck american idol season 12!!!,,

Comment by mark – April 5, 2013 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well,iono who B/H is(was?).But som1 needs 2 steal Nigels ipod nd put something current on there.

4free choice.

Kree-”I Know You Won’t” by Carrie Underwood.Its just a perfect fit.

Janelle-”Those where the days” by Dolly Parton,cos even a 100 yrs 4rm now it wud still be current 2me.

Candice-”Start Over” by Beyonce.Alotta peeps don’t know this song,which I think would add to the effect of the awesomeness if she does it.

Amber-”Unfaithful” by Rihanna.Pretty easy song to understand n connect with,since that’s the only beef anyone semms to have with her.

Lazaro-”Cry Me A River” by Justin Timberlake,this should please both his detractors and fans.not alotta high notes(IF he can pull off falsetto)plus a big choir ending,wit d playback of all d bad times.I’m still here,with time to spare!”Don’t it make you sad about it?”

Angie-too bad she already did Evanescence.”Hurt” is that the name?by Christina Aguilera.
    U got me identifying wit Hitler there Michael,if I ran the world..indeed.

Comment by Laz Man Standing – April 5, 2013 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Love Start Over. If anyone wants to pick anything from Beyonce, they better pick anything from 4, that’s the album where Bey’s reached her artistic peak.

Comment by Adam Fachry – April 5, 2013 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know had this thought that it will NEVER happen but somehow I want Amber to sing “Get Me Bodied” by Beyoncé. I know it won’t happen, but it would be interesting.

Comment by JR – April 5, 2013 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well that would be an Idol 1st.I see how it could work for her though.

Comment by Laz Man Standing – April 5, 2013 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In terms of the Bacharach songs, I’d love to hear Candice do “Baby It’s You.” She could really put some jazzy runs in there and blow it out the box.

Comment by Matt – April 5, 2013 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Baby It’s You” – wow, I never knew he wrote that! That was before his partnership with lyricist Hal David; a Google search tells me the lyrics are by Luther Dixon. Thanks, I learned something new!

Comment by marie – April 7, 2013 06:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Song You Wish You Wrote list:

Candice Glover – Talking Heads’ Houses In Motion
    Kree Harrison – Neko Case’s This Tornado Loves You
    Amber Holcomb – Janelle Monae’s Tightrope
    Angie Miller – Depeche Mode’s Enjoy The Silence (Tori Amos cover)
    Janelle Arthur – Loretta Lynn’s Have Mercy
    Lazaro Arbos – She Bangs (William Hung cover) this is obviously a joke cause IDGAF about him

Comment by Adam Fachry – April 5, 2013 05:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is a list I wish I had written!

Comment by Luke – April 7, 2013 07:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My dream duet for this season (is there an emoticon for tongue in cheek?):
    ~
    Angie (at the piano) & Candice (at the mike) doing Pink Floyd’s “Great Gig In The Sky”
    ~
    With Angie back at the piano, and Candice letting it rip; Niki & Mariah’s heads might both explode at once! (and take out Randy as collateral damage.)

Comment by Tahoe Mike – April 5, 2013 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve been watching your every move here, Tahoe Mike, and I gotta say you’ve got some pretty excellent taste in music. I think Candice needs to sing more r-rated bad-ass songs. I recommended her to do Bowie’s Moonage Daydream this past week, gosh, if she could make that happen, I would crown her my favorite Idol contestant of all time on the spot. Imagine her singing lines like “I’LL BE A ROCK AND ROLLIN’ BITCH FOR YOU! KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT YOU’RE SQUAWKING LIKE A PINK MONKEY BIRD!”

Comment by Adam Fachry – April 5, 2013 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, look at it this way: at least 16th Century Drinking Songs haven’t been performed to death on AI, there should be zero clearance problems, and it would bring in more upbeat tunes!!! ;)

(I used to play recorder and know a lot of Renaissance music — there really is some fun stuff there!)

Comment by My Alter Ego – April 5, 2013 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sorry, this was intended to be a response to Mark (above).

Comment by My Alter Ego – April 5, 2013 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This post made me LOL for 5 minutes.

Comment by deedee – April 5, 2013 11:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • deedee, glad that I could provide a chuckle — that it lasted 5 minutes is amazing! You probably shouldn’t encourage this side of me.)
        In the meantime “Bring us on Good Ale” (Not sure which century that was written, but 16th or 17th would seem about right. Oops, just googled it. I don’t know when the choir piece that I’ve sung was written, it appears the theme came up during the Medieval period.)

Comment by My Alter Ego – April 6, 2013 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Did another “google” search. The version I sang was by none other than the overly ubiquitous (can that be???) John Rutter — meaning 20th century.

Comment by My Alter Ego – April 6, 2013 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m also thinking, for the finale perhaps Gregorian chants, the two oldest songs on Nigel’s Ipod, and an instrumental since there’s no way Lazaro can memorize three songs.

Comment by Mark – April 6, 2013 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Nice try, Mark, but still probably beyond “L”.

Comment by My Alter Ego – April 6, 2013 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OK, between the boring season and that theme, I think I’m done with Idol this year.

Comment by Temperence – April 5, 2013 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Look for more exciting themes from Nigel such as Songs from the Flapper Era and Great Depression Ditties!

Comment by Timmah – April 5, 2013 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This!

Comment by jane – April 5, 2013 10:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m waiting for Song Performed on Lawrence Welk. Though if Janelle did One Toke Over the Line with a straight face, I’d crown her winner for the night.

Comment by AlyB – April 6, 2013 07:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love to see Amber sing something by Brandy. “Baby” is a good up tempo song for her or “Sitting On Top of the World” or “Almost Doesn’t Count” if she goes the ballad route again. Candice would sound great on “Free Yourself” by Fantasia or “Love No Limit” by Mary J. She would kill that song. Angie needs “Gravity” by Sara Barrellis. Janelle…maybe “Still the One” by Shania or country up “Always Be My Baby” by MC. For Kree, I’m not that sure. She has such a big voice. Maybe something by Pink or Patsy Cline. Larazo?? I’m just gonna pretend like he’s not there.

Comment by T – April 5, 2013 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amber and Candice need to do “The Boy Is Mine” by Brandy and Monica as a duet. If they pair either of them with Lazaro, I will be pissed.

Comment by Trouty Mouth – April 6, 2013 12:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ”The Song I Wish I’d Written (From the List of 11 Songs That Uncle Nigel Bothered to Clear).” So true, so sad, makes for such a boring show.

I can picture Lazaro doing, “What’s New Pussycat.” That would be so funny.

Comment by dj – April 5, 2013 08:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope someone does “The Look of Love,” Great song.

The “Songs I Wish I’d Written” part of the show will show whether this cast has any imagination whatsoever. I’m not too hopeful, though Janelle showed a little moxie with “You Keep Me Hangin’ On.”

Comment by Chuck – April 5, 2013 09:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t mean to be picky but didn’t Pat Benatar do Wuthering Heights first and I think she did it much better than Kate Bush

Comment by Jennifer Mangold Anaya – April 5, 2013 09:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, Kate Bush is the singer and writer of Wuthering Heights. It was released in 1975 and became a single for her Kick Inside album.

Comment by Adam Fachry – April 6, 2013 01:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I mean, the original singer. This is actually among her most renowned and noted songs. It’s almost as if if you hear the name Kate Bush, you’d instantly think of Wuthering Heights.

Comment by Adam Fachry – April 6, 2013 01:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Actually, when I think of “Wuthering Heights,” I think of Emily Bronte. As difficult (and I now know, as foolish) as that novel was to wade through, I no longer waste my time on such things.

Comment by My Alter Ego – April 6, 2013 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Well that’s a whole different story, obviously.

Comment by Adam Fachry – April 6, 2013 03:52 PM PDT
  • I’d like to hear
    Janelle do some Faith (Cry, Breathe)
    Kree do some Dixie Chicks or Wynona
    Angie do some Kate Bush (inspired!) or Jewel
    Candice do some Jazmin Sullivan or Janelle Monae or maybe TLC – she’s got that contralto thing going on
    Amber really needs something modern – maybe Rihanna or Katy Perry (since she’s a better vocalist than either of them) or “Big Girls Don’t Cry” (Fergie)
    Lazaro: Ru Paul called. Drag Race wants its contestant back.

Comment by whosays – April 5, 2013 09:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • More thoughts –
      Amber “Skyscraper”
      Janelle – Leann Rhimes or Trisha Yearwood.

Comment by whosays – April 5, 2013 09:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Lazanjaya could kill it with: Soft Kitty.

Comment by Tahoe Mike – April 5, 2013 10:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s too recent. Maybe–Smelly Cat.

Comment by Mark – April 6, 2013 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Janelle- Say a Little Prayer, her choice- Dixie’s Chicks Home or Travelin’ Soilder
    Candice- That’s what friends are for, her choice- uptempo Halo or Xtina’s Beautiful
    Angie- The Look of Love, her choice- will be some horrible christian rock song so why bother suggesting one
    Amber- Walk on By, her choice- Alicia Keys Fallin’ (but we all know she’s gonna sing Whitney)
    Kree- House is not a Home, her choice- Patsy Cline’s Crazy or Bob Dylan/ Adele’s To Make You Feel My Love
    Lazaro- Close To You, his choice- I’d like hear him sing a song in Spanish

Comment by jane – April 5, 2013 10:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I approve so hard of your ideas for Janelle, Slezak. They’re perfect and it would be awesome to see her perform them.

Comment by Harmony – April 5, 2013 10:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How did we go for requesting P!nk to THIS?

Comment by HitTheGroundRunning – April 5, 2013 10:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Burt’s “What’s in Goodbye” is a bland piece of schmaltz with a great title. Perfect for Lazaro’s swan song.

Comment by Melanie Sorensen – April 5, 2013 11:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want Lazaro to put a spin on “One less bell to answer” by the fifth dimension…that is all.

Comment by Johnny – April 6, 2013 12:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He wouldn’t even come close to Matt Morrison and Kristen Chenoweth singing it during season 1 of Glee.

Comment by Trouty Mouth – April 6, 2013 12:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Much less the original with Marilyn McCoo.

Comment by My Alter Ego – April 6, 2013 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well, I don’t watch Glee so I wouldn’t know. It’s a little crazy to me how people always getting compared to someone else. Yes, one person’s take may be better than another’s but I think that shouldn’t stop someone from doing the cover in their own version and style for those who happen to be their fans or whatever.

Comment by Johnny – April 7, 2013 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love that song…but one of the girls needs to sing this…preferably Candice. I wanted to hurl my remote at the screen last week when they said Laz was top 3…! If he sings it, I will throw it!

Comment by Robin – April 7, 2013 07:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You are probably right though that maybe its best for a girl to sing this one, USUALLY. However, in light of how there seems to be a lack of creativity on the show this year, perhaps he would not be able to accomplish what I had in mind for a guys version of that song after all. :( But it could still be nice, at least its slow enough and repetitious enough LOL.

Comment by Johnny – April 7, 2013 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Johnny, Lazaro couldn’t begin to do justice to this song. He doesn’t come close to having the vocal chops the song requires to make it have impact.

Comment by My Alter Ego – April 7, 2013 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Candice needs to sing Don’t Make Me Over by Dionne Warwick in terms of Bacharach and David. Amber Riley sang it on Glee and I could imagine Candice doing a great job with it. And for her free choice, she needs to sing Beautiful by Christina Aguilera.

Comment by Vince – April 6, 2013 03:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Each of us have our own likes and dislikes. Certain themes are very appealing to some of us while those same themes are blah to others. Variety is the only solution, which will please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, but nothing will please all of the people all of the time. Without the old songs, we would never have heard Haley Reinhart sing House of the Rising Sun, and there are a multitude of other examples of idol hopefuls doing standing ovation worthy performances of old songs. There is nothing wrong with music made after the year 2000, and it would be nice to hear more of it on Idol. No matter what uncle Nigel does, there is no theme that will make all of us happy, and even if a miracle happened, and they had a theme we all loved, the limited song choices that would be approved would not meet with everyones approval.
    Isn’t it about time for American Idol “ALL STAR EDITION?” Winners would not be allowed (although a winner’s only “Superstar Edition” might be fun as well). One contestant from each of the 12 seasons, reunited to compete again. 6 boys, 6 girls. Which 12 contestants would you choose to be on the all star roster?

Comment by thedeviledadvocate – April 6, 2013 07:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh yes! I been wanting an All-Star for YEARS now! I think the Superstar one just wouldn’t work out because most of the winners are busy in their respective areas. I think for the All-Star it should be past top 10 people (except winners) who actually want to do it all again and then after they make it known there should be an online vote for a top 20 then a top 10 after we hear the top 20 actually sing after a few years of being gone. I would LOVE that.

Comment by Johnny – April 6, 2013 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Perhaps one boy, one girl from each season to make a top 24, have a three night event, where each contestant sings one song, and America votes deciding the top 10?
        My choices would be
        Season 1 Justin Guarini, Tamyra Gray
        Season 2 Joshua Gracin, Kimberly Caldwell
        Season 3 George Huff, Diana DeGarmo
        Season 4 Bo Bice, Vonzell Solomon
        Season 5 Elliot Yamin, Katherine McPhee
        Season 6 Blake Lewis, Melinda Doolittle
        Season 7 Jason Castro, Brooke White
        Season 8 Adam Lambert, Alexis Grace
        Season 9 Michael Lynche, Siobhan Mangus
        Season 10 James Durbin, Haley Reinhart
        Season 11 Joshua Ledet, Elise Testone
        Season 12 Curtis Finch, Janelle Arthur
        My top 10 choices would be Adam Lambert, James Durbin, Joshua Gracin, Joshua Ledet, Jason Castro, Haley Reinhart, Katharine McPhee, Siobhan Magnus, Kimberly Caldwell, and Melinda Doolittle.

Comment by thedeviledadvocate – April 6, 2013 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Well I personally never liked this whole half girls half guys thing AI started doing. Because I think sometimes if they just let the public vote across the board, if more guys than GIrls got voted in then so be it those are who people want to see out of those who showed up imo. It would be iinteresting to see all the “Sanjaya’s” from each season’s top 10 to redeem themselves as well.

Comment by Johnny – April 6, 2013 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think it is a grat idea and should be done next season to try and boost ratings. The problem is that many may not want to do it gain because it was so stressful and they have moved on with the ir lives but it is certainly worth a try.

Comment by MB – April 6, 2013 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • While perhaps, a good — maybe great — concept for television, why would any of these kids (yes, I’m old enough to be able to say that) want to put themselves in that competitive situation again when most of them have moved on to carving out music careers beyond Idol?
      Unless it was a season or episode/series of episodes dedicated to some designated charity (“Tip Cup” comes to mind, since, as musicians, they would all know and connect with the struggles of other musicians), I struggle to see why past contestants, focused on carving out a future in making music, would find this to be useful for them.

Comment by My Alter Ego – April 6, 2013 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If there was an “All Star” season, I would love it but not as much as I would love a SECOND CHANCES season, where people who were semi-finalists or that didn’t have the opportunity to get into the tour (Top 11-13) could come back.
      I’m thinking about Kendra Chantelle, Rachel Zevita, Lilly Scott, Alex Lambert, Ashton Jones, Jen Hirsch, Danny Noriega, Asia’h Epperson, Katelyn Epperly, Joe Muñoz, Paige Miles, Ricky Braddy, Jasmine Murray, Mishavonna Henson, Jesse Langseth, Nick Pedro, Aloha Mischeaux, Mikalah Gordon, Robbie Rosen, Clint Jun Gamboa, Tim Halperin, Karen Rodriguez, Breanna Steer, Julie Zorrilla, Lauren Turner, Aaron Marcellus, Baylie Brown and even… Shannon Magraine?
      Anyway, I think that the producers should definitely think about either one of those two concepts for the next season. I would watch it definitely!

Comment by Mafs95 – April 6, 2013 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Mafs95 this is a much better idea!

Comment by My Alter Ego – April 6, 2013 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That you remember so many names AND surnames is of peeps who didnt even make top 10,is just wow.That black kid that was cut vegas week this season and last would be on my list tho.

Comment by Laz Man Standing – April 6, 2013 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Black kid? Since you said “kid” I’ll suppose it’s David Leather Jr.? I liked him as well, but this season he didn’t even make it to Vegas :-(

Comment by Mafs95 – April 6, 2013 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think that would be awesome!

Comment by Robin – April 7, 2013 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Kendra Chantelle DEFINITELY! I’M STILL MAD THAT SHE DIDN’T MAKE IT TO THE TOP 13. That was a horrible choice that season to let her go. Oh my god, she was AMAZING! Love it!

Comment by Jasmine – April 8, 2013 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yes, that was one of the most WTF moments in Idol history. I think her performance of “Georgia On My Mind” was in the Top 5 performances of that season!

Comment by Mafs95 – April 12, 2013 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post