American Idol Top 7 Results Recap: The Rock Week Horror Picture Show

American-Idol-Top-7-Results-RecapI know there’ve been a lot of criticisms of American Idol Season 12, but none of its results shows up till now have driven me into a homicidal rage. (Okay, Breanna Steer not cracking the Top 10 came pretty close, but we haven’t had a moment where I’ve been on the brink of spouting “THAT’S IT! I’M DONE WITH THIS SHOW 4EVA!” nonsense.)

And I guess that’s why I approached Top 7 Results Night with a mixture of paranoia and dread. Okay, yeah, Lazaro Arbos got saddled with the most ominous lyric from the group performance of Queen’s “Somebody to Love” — “I got no rhythm/ I just keep losing my beat” — but there was a sinking feeling in my gut that reminded me how Jessica Sanchez, Jennifer Hudson and Matt Giraud all (unjustly) received the lowest number of votes at this point in the competition in their respective seasons. Yeah, two of ‘em got the “Judges’ Save” while one of ‘em went on to get the Oscar, but still, the message kept flashing in my brain: You can’t get this far into the competition without bad things happening. Verrrry bad things, in fact.

RELATED | American Idol‘s Ratings Woes: 8 Common-Sense Ways to Salvage Season 12

Of course, it took almost a half hour before Ryan cut to the chase and started getting down to the business of results. But before he’d even had a chance to tell us what the speed-dialing nation had done with its great responsibility, I found myself with that familiar feeling: Fury in my gut, expletives on my tongue, and a “HULK SMASH!” vibe percolating in my nonexistent pecs.

What had me so hopping mad? Idol mentor Jimmy Iovine and three out of four judges naming their personal Top 3 lists and failing to include the season’s most talented, most consistent competitor — Candice Flippin’ Flover Glover (see how angry I am?)

Welcome back, unrelenting anger, my old friend. Shall we cut to the proceedings? Might as well!

JIMMY’S/JUDGES’ PICKS FOR THE TOP 3
JIMMY: Amber, Angie, Kree (but he also loves Candice)
KEITH: Kree, Angie, Amber (did dude forget Angie’s Top 9 and Top 8 performances)
NICKI: Angie, Amber, Kree (ditto!)
RANDY: Amber, Kree, Angie (not that anyone cares what Randy thinks)
MARIAH: Kree, Amber, Candice (well, THANK YOU, Mariah, for being the sole voice of sanity)

VIDEO | Idol‘s Devin Velez on Nicki Minaj Feud and That Infamous Trio! Plus: Bieber & Pink Theme Nights?

Then it was time for actual votes — from America — the ones that count.

AMERICA’S TOP 3 (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER)
Kree Harrison
Angie Miller
That Dude Who Forgot His Lyrics the Past Two Weeks

ALSO SAFE
Candice Glover
Amber Holcomb

BOTTOM TWO
Janelle Arthur
Burnell Taylor

SINGING FOR HIS LIFE
Burnell Taylor: India.Arie’s “Ready for Love” | Burnell sang with great intensity and heart — hitting most of his notes, albeit with a slight case of mushy-mouth. But after his absolutely lame Wednesday cover of “You Give Love a Bad Name,” I’m not sure he’d have scored the save even if he’d levitated up and over the judges table and into the VIP seating where The Mindy Project stars were enjoying some cross-promotional synergy. Nope, the Save carries into next week, and it probably should, just as a final defense against the Lazaro Epidemic.

A few additional thoughts:

* Perhaps Janelle’s Bottom 2 placing is a classic case of vote splitting: Country fans are gravitating to Kree, and she’s the one losing out. Ditto for Amber and Candice, who may be sharing the R&B Diva fan base — and unable to crack the Top 3 as a result. Depressing, but it might explain Lazaro’s Top 3 placing: He’s got the “tone deaf” and “loves cute boys” voting blocs all to himself!

* Listless as that group performance of “Somebody to Love” was, Candice’s final epic solo run made it all worthwhile. Even if she’s destined to finish the season at No. 5 or maybe No. 4, she’s made my first half of 2013 a better place to be.

* Let’s hope Fox releases those Ford “Who’s Your Idol?” photos for sites like TVLine to publish! The Top 7 was lookin’ fly. That said, would you have ever guessed ballad-crazed Burnell would choose someone as edgy as Pharrell Williams as his main inspiration?

* Casey James’ “The Good Life” felt a little hook-free to me, but he won me over with his sheer enthusiasm for being back on the Idol stage with an original track — and his thoughtful personalized gifts for the Top 7.

* Footage from Carrie’s pre-audition farm life never ceases to amaze me. I thought her voice sounded a tad war-torn on new single “See You Again” (and I prefer the monumental “Two Black Cadillacs, persoanlly), but it’s always great to see a reminder of the power this program holds. They really don’t get more powerhouse than The Lady Underwood these days, do they? And her journey started right there on the Idol stage.

I’ll be back shortly to update this post with more info on guest performers and other deets, but until then, it’s your turn. What did you think of Season 12 Top 7 results night? Did the right person go home? And did you dig Carrie Underwood and Casey James? Sound off in the comments, and for all my Idol-related news, recaps, interviews and videos, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Adam Fachry says:

Not to sound racist, but I think Lazaro’s voting demographic leans toward the Latinos more than the pity-party lovers or even horny tweens in puberty. The only thing that could split his votes is if one of the girls comes out as Latina.

• Lola says:

I don’t think it’s either. He’s the new version of “white guy with guitar” … “cute white guy.” He has the 12+ something vote. I’m certain of it.

• Amy says:

I’ve been thinking the same. Wasn’t the first time that voting demo tipped scales in a vote…

Speaking of tweens voting for the “cute guy” in Laz…methinks he could care less about the girls. Which is fine, neither could Adam Lambert, didn’t stop the cougars from luvvvvving him…but Laz’s “stage presence” is zip. Even when he was “touching hands” he barely connected..he’s hardly “flirting” with anyone up there. I don’t get a warm vibe from him in anyone’s direction. Just an observation.

2. Michele says:

I remember when Clay got raked through the mud for forgetting one line in “Vincent.” Lazaro is a handsome guy but as far as being a marketable singer, I just don’t think so. Someone is voting for him, maybe as a cruel joke or maybe some pre-pubescent girls. Not sure but, he needs to go!!! Maybe if he sang in Spanish we wouldn’t notice his mistakes.

• Chuck says:

check out VoteForTheWorst.com web site and you’ll see what’s happening. They have Lazaro splashed all over the headlines, encouraging people to vote for him. There are enough Idol haters to do this and ruin the show…

• Blank Slate says:

The AI we knew and loved when Clay was on is not the same show of today. It’s gone. It’s over. It’s a pity.

3. Amaya says:

I’m sick to my stomach. It’s clear what’s happening. They’re boosting amber and tearing down candice. Candice has the best voice and also she’s an actual artist. As far as the videos, I’m sure the producers told them to act that way. Her sense of humor is that sarcastic “It’s mean but you know it’s a joke” kind that I LOVE. As was said earlier, Candice’s personality is one to die for. On twitter she’s hilarious and interacts with these little kids everyday. She’s the sweetest person ever. I never got an arrogant vibe from her. If its because she doesn’t smile, I don’t know that I would smile either after Lazaro just took my spot in the top three that I had a few weeks ago. LAZARO?!?!?! Is probably what she was thinking. I prefer candice over amber because amber does covers, as great as her voice is. Candice changes everything she does and even though the song has been done a million times, never by Candice. If candice goes before Lazaro, I don’t know what I will do.

• Wooddieee says:

“also she’s an actual artist”

Uh, so she’s putting out her own creative works? When have you heard these on the show? Because otherwise, she is better described as a performer, and not an artist.

” I prefer candice over amber because amber does covers”

Wrong again, Candice has only done covers on the show. Same as everyone else, with the exception of Angie’s one original song. Small tweaks to the melody or phrasing does not make it anything more than a cover song.

You clearly are a big fan of Candice and that is wonderful, but you cant expect anyone to agree with opinions that aren’t built on a factual basis.

• Lola says:

I agree with Amaya. (And she did explain what she meant.) Candice does her own version of other people’s song … as Randy would say “she makes them her own.” Amber simply covers what’s come before here … same style.

• syb says:

Yeah artist isn’t confined to writing one’s own work. Art is also in the vocal styling–an ability to interpret a song in a fresh and personal way that feels authentic to both singer and material. Ella Fitzgerald didn’t write her music. You’re saying she’s not an artist? Aretha? Lena Horne?

• Ramification says:

An artist can be one when doing a cover. Are actors not artists when they speak lines written for them ? Candice is truly an artist.

• nowyouknow says:

Being an “artist” is what you can do with another persons song and Candice brings that to the stage every week. If you can’t hear the artistry and interpretation in her voice, you don’t know what being a musical artist means. As performer she is very charismatic. A performer is someone who can do something that is memorable and she leaves an impression … accolades that resonate entertainment.

In regard to “creative works” – there are a TON of “artists” who don’t write their own music and sing songs written by song writers. Song writers may or may not sing their songs but intentionally write them for others because of their musical artistry. There is an endless, thick history of this.

4. Chuck says:

It sucks…Lazaro is in there all thanks to VoteForTheWorst webbies ruining a great show! ticks me off. sure do love the girls though!

• Wooddieee says:

Vote for the worst gets a tiny number of hits per week. Its irrelevant. Its the same girls that voted for Lee DeWyze and Scott McCreary that are voting for lazaro because he is cute, has pale skin and can be imagined to be a Fantasy Boyfriend.

Look at Alexa’s rankings for VFTW, or Google’s AdSense top index, its nowhere to be found. VFTW is a non factor. Females are voting for the one with the cawk and the doe eyes, and you’ll never be able to fix that until the voting system is changed to a better system like itunes sales.

• Guitar Blue says:

VFTW has far less supporters than any little fan club that springs-up around any of the contestants. And Lazaro is in the top 4 in twitter followers, from what we hear.

5. Mara says:

Lazaro is the weakest certainly, but I don’t think he is as obnoxious and irritating as others who have been on the show in the past. Lee Dewyze, Danny Gokey, Taylor Hicks are all singers that I *really* hated. I think it’s because Lazaro isn’t quite as bland and boring as they are. Sure he can’t sing, but at least he tries with stage presence and questionable fashion. I’d take Laz over another self-righteous beige T-shirt wearing Christian guitar playing white boy. I actually enjoy the fact that this is the first season where I do not have to see or hear one!

• You may be enjoying the absence of the type of guy, but I don’t think the viewers are, as evidenced by the ratings. Like it or not, Lee DeWyze, Danny Gokey and Taylor Hicks all brought in viewers & votes, as evidenced by the Top 3 finish.

But I truly think all 3 of those guys are talented, but Idol wasn’t really the best place for them to show it. Lee would never, ever do Hallelujah in that grandiose kind of way that they made him do it and Danny’s Dream On was all kinds of wrong. I think everyone who comes on this show is talented, but some types of talent are just more suited for the big stage than others.

6. Luckee says:

I think had Lazaro already been eliminated, the judges would have used to save for Burnell. The judges need the save in case by some atrocity Lazaro outlasts one of the girls. Mark my words, if Lazaro is safe again next week, the judges will use their save on whomever the unlucky bottom lady is.

• Jen says:

I agree with this comment.

• marie says:

Yes, they will save one of the ladies next week if she is in danger. And the following week, with no save left, Lazaro will still be safe, one of the ladies will go home, and voila, Lazaro will be in the Top 3 for real. And then in the finale when another unlucky lady bites the dust. Get ready for it; it’s coming. Yeccchhhh.

7. I love Carrie to pieces, but let’s not forget how lack luster her journey on Idol was and look at her now. I think all 5 ladies have had a better journey thus far than her and yet the ratings are lower than they’ve ever been. Something has to be done. Talent just ain’t enough these days.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

A combo of blatant manip to the extreme in S10 got people really looking into the ‘reality’ of it all, plus it’s simply been on so long, plus there are soooo many of these shows that people are just getting burned out and pickier about talent too (even a perfect show, with perfect contestants might not do the original ratings these days and people might be quicker to gripe even with that, just too burned out from so many shows so often for so many years), a certain kind of safe seeming guy seeming to have it locked up before the season even began, people sick of the unlimited voting.

8. Lola says:

MS: “What had me so hopping mad? Idol mentor Jimmy Iovine and three out of four judges naming their personal Top 3 lists and failing to include the season’s most talented, most consistent competitor — Candice Flippin’ Flover Glover (see how angry I am?)”
    Me too! I was stunned and angry. Candice IS the most talented contestant, with Kree and Amber not too far behind her. I DON’T CARE who Randy Jacson thinks the top 3 should be! I also think Iovine needs to stop telling the world who should go home (Lazaro). We’re not that stupid … we all know who should go home, except of course for the bazillions of teenie boppers who are voting for the new version of white guy with guitar: “cute white guy.”

9. Rick says:

An overweight not so pretty (kinda stank face) African American girl is not going to win a popularity contest and to me she may have the best voice, toss up between her and Kree for that. I think Amber is over rated but regardless you know a girl is going to have the lowest vote total next week and the judges are gonna save her. I’d guess Amber. Then the next week two go home, if Lazaro survives that this show is officially a joke. Isn’t it obvious that Angie is gonna win?

• MamaLis says:

The first 11 words of your post truly had me doing a double take. Honestly. Do you realize you’re doing more than thinking out loud in your room? I’m just going to assume you meant to say: The curvy, attractive, genuine, motivated, talented, black woman that is Candice – has as great a chance as ANY to win American Idol. Ya.. I’m almost certain that was it.

• Chris says:

I agree with everything you said about Candice. She’s definitely my favorite. I hope she’s not being judged by her weight.

10. Robin says:

You know, if Candace gets a pass for a broken toe, and Kree gets the “I have a pinched nerve or cold” thing, can we not acknowledge at the very least that with Lazaro’s inability to speak properly his memorization process is probably far different and longer than the other contestants. I love you Michael, really, but you’re getting so catty with Lazaro it’s hard to listen to! You don’t get this far in the competetion being truly tone deaf. And some people, clearly prefer listening to Lazaro than half the girls already. *raises hand*

• LeahKittyS says:

I like you, Robin. Stick around, we need more positivity like that.

• Matt says:

Why would Lazaro’s stutter affect his ability to learn/remember songs?

• LeahKittyS says:

Because maybe there’s more than the stutter going on with him. I hate to sound mean for reasons other than singing, but maybe he’s just…stupid. I think that’s why the producers liked him from the start. He’s not bright, easily confused, and easy to manipulate. He does what he is told. Maybe his memory really does stink. (Truth be told, I haven’t heard him mess up any lyrics in his solos, only the group songs.) He might not even be aware that his pants are too tight, or think that’s how it’s supposed to be.We don’t know everything that might be wrong with him.

• robinlemke says:

I’m not saying he’s not bright, but when I memorize things, including songs, I don’t just sing it over and over, I also say the lyrics, especially if I don’t have much time and am trying to drill it into my head. And he can’t. I just wonder what his process is to learn a song. I wouldn’t be surprised if its different and longer than the others’.

I have a twelve year old daughter who adores him. He’s cute, and seems kind and safe and is fun for the girls’ to cheer for. If TPTB didn’t want him voted this far along, they shouldn’t have offered him up as a choice.

I get that people have other favorites. I just don’t see the need to run him into the ground like this. I even understand from the Internet at large, but Michael is better than that…

• deedee says:

Michael is not “running him into the ground”. He’s treating him like a grownup, and like he would treat anybody else who is under-performing, and yet over-represented in votes. Why do you insist on treating someone of average intelligence as though he’s developmentally delayed? I don’t get it.

• robinlemke says:

I never said he was delayed. I said as long as we’re making allowances for toes and nerves we should do the same for the stutter.

• deedee says:

Robin, if Kree or Candice sang sub-par every single week because of pinched nerves or broken toes, believe me – we’d be hearing about it. As it is, we’ve got complaints about Candice and Kree that range from, “she’s too perfect” to “she looks sour” to “she doesn’t have a growth arc” to “there’s not enough emotion in her face”. Seriously. What kind of “allowances” was the audience making for Candice’s broken toe if she couldn’t even make top 3 this week with her superior vocal? It’s a legitimate question.

• CAS says:

I don’t think that a stuttering problem has anything to do with mental capabilities. I had a friend who stuttered who was a brilliant PhD in chemistry. They SOUND like they might be weak-minded, but the two aren’t necessarily linked.

• deedee says:

Lazaro has a stutter — he’s not mentally impaired! To treat him that way is patronizing and condescending. Lazaro’s singing needs to be evaluated on its own merits, and that’s what Michael is doing. This is not “Special American Idol”, or “Paramerican Idol”. Lazaro is smart enough, young enough, and capable enough to memorize lyrics and perform his duties like all the rest. A stammer doesn’t excuse everything.

• Tahoe Mike says:

I remember thinking during the auditions that learning new songs at the pace required by this show would be what kept Lazanjaya from getting through Hollywood week. As a friend explained to me, singing and speaking use different parts of the brain, which is why stutterers who can sing are not so unheard of.
      ~
      I imagine that he has to live with, and internalize the songs a bit more than other singers so that he can sing them without thinking about them. To put it into tech terms, it’s as if he needs to commit the songs to the hard drive, rather than access them from RAM. I think that he sounds much better on songs he has known and loved for years than he does on anything he has just learned. Unfortunately, like so many of the others, I think he has a very limited repertoire to draw from.
      ~
      I am not making excuses for him. I have no mercy for going on a national stage unprepared, even if he does have to do more work than the others to get there. As remarkable as it is that he can sing at all, I still don’t care for him or his voice. It pisses me off sideways to see him voted through, while the hopes and dreams of more talented competitors pay the price.

• Jessica says:

How can his stutter be to blame to profusely sweating by 2nd note? Or just a shrug with a side smile and lame excuse? I would think it would help him to work harder.

11. CZ says:

Bad singing, no problem. Forget your lyrics, no problem. Stank attitude, no problem. Wear a pair of pants that make you look like you have a load in them, big problem. I can only assume this guy is getting votes because girls and gays think he’s cute. (I certainly can’t see any other reason). But those pants at the end of the show when he was facing away from the camera is going to hurt him more than anything else. If you still have the recording, go check what I’m talking about.

12. hmr says:

Every year there is someone who sticks around too long. I thought it was going to be Paul, but it is Laz. He is getting the disability vote, latino vote, teen vote, cutest guy vote, sticking it to the judges vote/revenge vote, and sympathy votes. That is a lot of votes! Why are people surprised that he is still around? The show has never been about choosing the best singer.

13. LeahKittyS says:

Lazaro’s sad story is not the only one in the finals this year. At least half the cast has something touching from their past. Angie is partially deaf in both ears, Burnell and his family lost everything in Hurricane Katrina, Devin grew up without a father, Kree lost both of her parents fairly young…anyone remember those? Why is nobody else’s story getting the same attention? And don’t say “Because they have talent and Lazaro doesn’t.” I love the sound of his voice; he just needs to remember the lyrics and tell the band to quiet down. I couldn’t care less about the pants situation.

• AlyB says:

Lazaro’s story is used an an excuse for his poor performance. You replied to a comment above that stated exactly that. None of the other performers are counting on people giving them a pass because of whatever issues they are dealing with. They still perform. Lazaro can’t even remember his lyrics. He can’t even manage to do some lalala’s to the song when he forgets them to just keep it going. The whole inspirational, courageous thing is fine and if & when he delivers it’s to be admired. But I don’t think he should get a pass on actually messing up as much as he has. He’s terrible. The sound of his voice doesn’t outweigh the inadequacy of his performance. People that were willing to give him a pass before are saying enough. If he stays, the backlash is only going to get more bitter and caustic. oh and yeah….the pants….he looks ridiculous. Speech impediments don’t affect fashion sense so can we at least state our opinion on his without being made to feel like we’re picking on the poor boy?

14. marie says:

Ugh. At this point, I’m expecting an Angie / Lazaro finale: the two least talented of the remaining contestants, IMO. Watch; I’d bet some money on that (maybe not a fortune, but some).

15. syb says:

The judges are obviously favoring the superficial over the skill, consistency and professionalism demonstrated by the contestant who is substantially better at everything that should matter on a talent show like this.

I get that Candice has the retro bluesy, rocky soul singer vibe of a Tina or an Aretha. If Amy Winehouse or Adele were unknowns appearing on Idol before they took their retro styles to the top of the charts, they’d also be old fashioned throwbacks. If done well, throwback becomes the next new thing. Instead, as usual, Nigel, Randy and Co. are looking for last year’s thing and lack the imagination to picture somebody a little different than what was happening on the charts last year. Let’s reinvent Beyonce and Taylor Swift, because God knows we don’t have enough of them.

Very disappointing.

• marie says:

Interesting point, syb. Winehouse and Adele probably would not have fared well on Idol; my knee-jerk reaction would be to say they were too talented (see Melinda Doolittle, Jennifer Hudson, etc.), but could be something to what you say about “throwback becomes the nect new thing” and the Idol producers not recognizing that. Just maybe.

16. Jinq2 says:

I’ve never been naive enough to believe that there’s no producer manipulation going on behind the scenes ~ but to see it so blatantly and unapologetically is something else again. I resented it last year when they relentlessly “pimped” Jessica Sanchez, but this year they’ve amped up their efforts to manipulate not only the viewers, but the judges, the contestants and, I suspect, the results, to the point where it’s *so* visible, I find myself really resenting it. Truly, I can’t imagine any intelligent viewer not seeing it. It’s pathetic and it’s insulting to the loyal viewers who have hung in there all these years. Perhaps America’s insistence on keeping Lazaro in the competition is a message to the judges ~ “You want to mess with us? We’ll mess with you.” In addition to the ‘tween mentality of, “Oh, he’s soooo cute… and look! He’s crying!” and the grandmas who basically feel the same way, it’s enough to keep him near the top. Should he win, I’d imagine they’ll make a token effort of auto-tuning him one one mediocre CD before he goes the way of Taylor Hicks. I’ve pretty much written off the season ~ but I am curious to see if Lythgoe and company will get the message and actually do something about it.

17. LeahKittyS says:

ATTENTION! I’ve noticed some confusion regarding the use of the Judges’ Save. Please allow me to clarify.
    The finale is set for May 16. This gives six more weeks of competition. If the Save is used this season, only one person will be eliminated the following week, to keep the show on schedule. If the Save is not used, Nigel and Ken will pull something out of their butts to keep things running. Because no way in hell are they going to save Lazaro.
    Remember last year how Jermaine was disqualified and Shannon was eliminated in the same week? To keep the show on schedule, they only eliminated one person the week after they saved Jessica. (Surprisingly, it was Colton.) They will have to use that strategy again this year. We cannot have a double elimination at all this season; it will screw up the schedule.
    I hope this clears things up. Have a good one.

18. marie says:

As a curiosity / anachronism, I present the lyrics (written by lyricist Hal David) to one of the most heinous songs of the early 1960s, Bacharach/David’s “Wives and Lovers.” I think that very happily, it’s quite unlikely we’ll hear this one next week!

I saw a TV show, maybe 10 years ago, where Burt Bacharach actually apologized for these lyrics, even though he didn’t write them.

For those too young to remember this Jack Jones hit of 1963, brace yourselves…
    ———-
    Hey! Little Girl
    Comb your hair, fix your makeup
    Soon he will open the door
    Don’t think because there’s a ring on your finger
    You needn’t try anymore
    ————
    For wives should always be lovers too
    Run to his arms the moment he comes home to you
    I’m warning you…
    ————
    Day after day
    There are girls at the office
    And men will always be men
    Don’t send him off with your hair still in curlers
    You may not see him again
    ————
    For wives should always be lovers too
    Run to his arms the moment he comes home to you
    He’s almost here…
    ————
    Hey! Little girl
    Better wear something pretty
    Something you’d wear to go to the city and
    Dim all the lights, pour the wine, start the music
    Time to get ready for love
    Time to get ready
    Time to get ready for love

19. lyn says:

Welcome to Wag The Dog, the musical!

20. Laura says:

Stop bashing Lazaro. He is an amazing and talented guy. I know he had trouble the last two werks, but plz people, dont hate him..It is not easy to perform up there in front of people. He has a great voice, all he needs is that he pushes himself a little to make him farther and the best, even he doesnt win. And u people hate him cause you have no heart or you are jealous by his amazing voice. I am glad he made the top 3 this week.

And who says that the judges and the contestants were annoyed? whoever said that must be stupid or blind, they were happy for him like for angie and kree…

• Jessica says:

May i ask what your age is? I don’t hate him,, I’m definitely not jealous and i understand that it is nerve wracking to sing in front of a crowd but I also am not interested in singing as a career but he is and should work harder for it. Should have worked harder on that a month ago.

• LeahKittyS says:

Thank you, Laura. I haven’t voted for Lazaro since the finals began, and I don’t like that he keeps forgetting the words, but I really do like the sound of his voice. He, Burnell, Devin, and (to a little lesser extent) Paul give me good vibes whenever they sing. Everyone sounds good on their recordings, and he’ll be just fine on tour. It’s just a silly reality show, why is everyone so outraged? Any girl he could possibly knock out will be have a fine career anyway, they’re that awesome.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

I thought I saw one turn away looking aghast though. Anyway, we, or many of us at least, don’t have anything against him personally. It’s just that there is no way he is the third best singer or has been putting on the third best performances so it’s annoying and unfair that others who have done better get sent home sooner.

21. Gale says:

I think the reason that Candace was crying so hard was because of what transpired earlier, when the judges and Jimmy didn’t name her in the top three. That was a very dubious development, since they have had nothing but lavish, well deserved praise for her.
    How much did Nigel and Co. have to bribe Keith et al to do that? And Lazaro, really? I never thought he could sing. Seems that the producers don’t have much respect for their audience if they actually thought that his stuttering should be his ticket to the top 10.

22. Guitar Blue says:

The “best singer” opinion is linked to the “preferred genre” of the listener. Candice might be the best R&B singer, but Kree might be a little better on certain types of mainstream ballads to some ears.

Janelle might sound more natural in a country song or ballad, and Amber may seem more animated and natural in a current songbook if given the chance.

When you cruise the top 100 you tube music video’s, whether for last year or the last decade – you see what kind of competition these singers are walking into after the show.

23. nowyouknow says:

Lazaro’s following is from a community of folks, parents and children who admire his strength and courage. He does have a gift, albeit not fully ripe, but a gift. Underestimating that type of following will give you the shock results you see each week. There is a very large group of folks with speech impediments… just putting some perspective out there. Admiration and respect go a long way.

With that said, I don’t agree that he should still be in the competition because his singing talent is not up to par with the remaining contestants. He needs more time to develop stage presence and his god given talent to sing. But what an inspiration he is…clearly.

24. C says:

For a situation like this with Lazaro the judges need a swap not a save if instead of Burnell going home they could have saved Burnell but sent home Lazaro

25. Favel Offman says:

The show is dying because bloody Fox and Nigel are too stubborn to change the formula. I thought the main problem was the voting system but it’s not. ENOUGH WITH THE OLD TUNES ALREADY!!!! Young people want to hear music that is more current, or at least not hear a song like ‘piece of my heart’ that has been done to death on this show. For god sakes clear some damn songs. If ‘The Voice’ can do it, surely American Idol and Fox with all their resources can. That post performance interview with Burnell after he sang ‘Living on a Prayer’ was painful to watch. I NEVER want to hear that someone was given a song to sing that they didn’t know or like, and had a hard time getting a song they liked. OK, maybe if it’s Dolly Parton week or something, but not damn Rock week. People are not stupid. Why do you think the ratings are down? Every year after a season finishes, we hear ‘we’re going to freshen the show up a lot, and make big changes.’ Well it looks like the same ol ***t to me. Australian Idol ended in this country about three years ago. They never had the well of talent that American Idol had to draw on, but one thing that was vastly superior to American idol was that you heard new songs sung every week on the show. Songs were not done to death like on American Idol. I might be done after this season is finished.

26. houster says:

Okay, Mike, I’ll explain why I’m about to go to the dark side and start voting for Lazaro, VFTW style. Lazaro is getting tons of (a) sympathy votes, (b) votes from Latinos, (c) votes from men and women who think he’s hot, and (d) votes from people who like his phony “package.” Why is this happening, even though he sings badly, forgets lyrics, and acts like a jerk?

Because Nigel Lythgoe, Wyleen May, Mike Darnell & Co. let it happen. This show often puts an untalented “villain” into the voting rounds, but this time I think they were too cute for their own good. If the show’s producers and executives were so cynical that they were willing to put a guy who is willing to stuff a frozen turkey down his crotch to shill for votes, just to create water cooler buzz and in a feeble attempt to stop the ratings slide, then I think Lazaro should win, and the show should get the mudpies in its face it deserves.

Besides, it would give me a very long and hearty laugh.

27. Bulb Electro says:

looks like all the gay’s voting for him. almost feels like want to recount the number of gays in america

28. OMG ! I just found a error in your blog! Check if your css is managed the right way!Get fix at watch movies online for free without download

29. ultimately costs businesses even more dollars if they arent careful.