American Idol Top 7 Results Recap: The Rock Week Horror Picture Show

American-Idol-Top-7-Results-RecapI know there’ve been a lot of criticisms of American Idol Season 12, but none of its results shows up till now have driven me into a homicidal rage. (Okay, Breanna Steer not cracking the Top 10 came pretty close, but we haven’t had a moment where I’ve been on the brink of spouting “THAT’S IT! I’M DONE WITH THIS SHOW 4EVA!” nonsense.)

And I guess that’s why I approached Top 7 Results Night with a mixture of paranoia and dread. Okay, yeah, Lazaro Arbos got saddled with the most ominous lyric from the group performance of Queen’s “Somebody to Love” — “I got no rhythm/ I just keep losing my beat” — but there was a sinking feeling in my gut that reminded me how Jessica Sanchez, Jennifer Hudson and Matt Giraud all (unjustly) received the lowest number of votes at this point in the competition in their respective seasons. Yeah, two of ‘em got the “Judges’ Save” while one of ‘em went on to get the Oscar, but still, the message kept flashing in my brain: You can’t get this far into the competition without bad things happening. Verrrry bad things, in fact.

RELATED | American Idol‘s Ratings Woes: 8 Common-Sense Ways to Salvage Season 12

Of course, it took almost a half hour before Ryan cut to the chase and started getting down to the business of results. But before he’d even had a chance to tell us what the speed-dialing nation had done with its great responsibility, I found myself with that familiar feeling: Fury in my gut, expletives on my tongue, and a “HULK SMASH!” vibe percolating in my nonexistent pecs.

What had me so hopping mad? Idol mentor Jimmy Iovine and three out of four judges naming their personal Top 3 lists and failing to include the season’s most talented, most consistent competitor — Candice Flippin’ Flover Glover (see how angry I am?)

Welcome back, unrelenting anger, my old friend. Shall we cut to the proceedings? Might as well!

JIMMY’S/JUDGES’ PICKS FOR THE TOP 3
JIMMY: Amber, Angie, Kree (but he also loves Candice)
KEITH: Kree, Angie, Amber (did dude forget Angie’s Top 9 and Top 8 performances)
NICKI: Angie, Amber, Kree (ditto!)
RANDY: Amber, Kree, Angie (not that anyone cares what Randy thinks)
MARIAH: Kree, Amber, Candice (well, THANK YOU, Mariah, for being the sole voice of sanity)

VIDEO | Idol‘s Devin Velez on Nicki Minaj Feud and That Infamous Trio! Plus: Bieber & Pink Theme Nights?

Then it was time for actual votes — from America — the ones that count.

AMERICA’S TOP 3 (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER)
Kree Harrison
Angie Miller
That Dude Who Forgot His Lyrics the Past Two Weeks

ALSO SAFE
Candice Glover
Amber Holcomb

BOTTOM TWO
Janelle Arthur
Burnell Taylor

SINGING FOR HIS LIFE
Burnell Taylor: India.Arie’s “Ready for Love” | Burnell sang with great intensity and heart — hitting most of his notes, albeit with a slight case of mushy-mouth. But after his absolutely lame Wednesday cover of “You Give Love a Bad Name,” I’m not sure he’d have scored the save even if he’d levitated up and over the judges table and into the VIP seating where The Mindy Project stars were enjoying some cross-promotional synergy. Nope, the Save carries into next week, and it probably should, just as a final defense against the Lazaro Epidemic.

A few additional thoughts:

* Perhaps Janelle’s Bottom 2 placing is a classic case of vote splitting: Country fans are gravitating to Kree, and she’s the one losing out. Ditto for Amber and Candice, who may be sharing the R&B Diva fan base — and unable to crack the Top 3 as a result. Depressing, but it might explain Lazaro’s Top 3 placing: He’s got the “tone deaf” and “loves cute boys” voting blocs all to himself!

* Listless as that group performance of “Somebody to Love” was, Candice’s final epic solo run made it all worthwhile. Even if she’s destined to finish the season at No. 5 or maybe No. 4, she’s made my first half of 2013 a better place to be.

* Let’s hope Fox releases those Ford “Who’s Your Idol?” photos for sites like TVLine to publish! The Top 7 was lookin’ fly. That said, would you have ever guessed ballad-crazed Burnell would choose someone as edgy as Pharrell Williams as his main inspiration?

* Casey James’ “The Good Life” felt a little hook-free to me, but he won me over with his sheer enthusiasm for being back on the Idol stage with an original track — and his thoughtful personalized gifts for the Top 7.

* Footage from Carrie’s pre-audition farm life never ceases to amaze me. I thought her voice sounded a tad war-torn on new single “See You Again” (and I prefer the monumental “Two Black Cadillacs, persoanlly), but it’s always great to see a reminder of the power this program holds. They really don’t get more powerhouse than The Lady Underwood these days, do they? And her journey started right there on the Idol stage.

I’ll be back shortly to update this post with more info on guest performers and other deets, but until then, it’s your turn. What did you think of Season 12 Top 7 results night? Did the right person go home? And did you dig Carrie Underwood and Casey James? Sound off in the comments, and for all my Idol-related news, recaps, interviews and videos, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Connor says:

I think Lazaro won’t win because I think the producers will sabotage the votes.

• Anna says:

Lol, they can’t. That’s is called voter fraud and would result in people getting fired and possibly landing in jail. Not to mention it would break numerous FCC regulations

• marie says:

We’re not talking about the Presidential election here (2000 notwithstanding). We’re talking about a reality TV show. The producers can do whatever the heck they want.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I think a lot of people are too young to remember the big game show scandals of the 60s – I think it was the 60s. Maybe the 50s. They made a movie about it and I think the movie was called “21”. I am so disgusted i can’t remember anything.

2. Anna says:

The powers that be screwed this season up so badly, it would be poetic justice if Lazaro ended up winning the whole season. Could you just imagine Jimmy Iovine’s horror if he (or Universal, anyway) had to sign Lazaro and try to market him?

Also, the save has to be used, right? Watch the judges be forced to use it on Lazaro.

Lollllllllllll

3. Elena says:

I was horrified that AI would post the judges’ top 3 and even more horrified that Candice’s name wasn’t on most of their lists! Are they deaf? And Lazaro in the top 3? AI has gone and shot themselves in the foot and I for one would find it hilarious if he won season 12. They use Lazaro for his sob story and then subtly try to throw him under the bus for the last several weeks. I’m wondering at what point the judges are going to be more overt in their criticism (“Go home, Lazaro!”). Another season ruined. I’ve about lost all hope that Candice can win. I actually thought Janelle showed more promise on that stage last night than Kree even though Kree’s a better singer. Janelle is just more interesting even before Kree’s pinched nerve. Oh, well, at least it was great seeing Casey again tonight. I love Carrie too. I’m not just feeling that song or her performance.

• Rei says:

As posted before earlier…

Someone needs to sit slezak down and explain to him that Candice Glover is not an Idol. She is a very talented singer, but there is nothing aspirational about her. She does not have a sob backstory, she is not charming, she wears a glower on her face at all times, she is impossible to connect with on any emotional level because she has no arc. She is performing at the same level each night, its all very well done, but that became boring two weeks ago.
      outside of her vocal, there is nothing to set her apart. She is old (or comes across as a middle age woman if she isn’t actually one), portly, accurate and unapproachable. Those are not qualities of an Idol.
      She will not win. Its not the show for her to do so. Candice’s mistake was going on Idol and not The Voice. She is in a children’s and teen’s show (see Lazaro, Tim Urban and Scotty McCreepy) run by two senior citizens. She made a mistake thinking she was an Idol, when all she is, is a singer.

• Ramification says:

I am sorry but she does not ‘wear a glower’ on her face, she is always smiling and sweet actually. She is my idol, she is the only contestant whose performances I have youtubed over and over again. There is something really disturbing about how people want to portray Candice just because of what she is perceived to be like / look like. People want to ding her for performing at the same level, as in the level of being amazing week in / week out ? I don’t get that. No one dinged P2 or Scotty etc for performing at the same level from week 1 (which they kind of did).

• Wooddieee says:

Nobody is dinging Candice’s performances. She is perfect there. But I’m sorry you cannot see how she carries her self for what others see it. from my perspective, she is looking sour at all times when not singing. Its nothing against her personally, and I’m sure she is wonderful and content, but some people do this and you cannot blame others for reading their expressions the way 95% of the population would. A frown is a frown. Candice always frowns and with the almond shape of her eyes, it looks like an angry frown. Add to the fact she looks quite mature, she is not sending out “positive vibes” to the audience of young female voters, the demographic that buys most of the tour tickets.

And yes, perception of a person is what is going to drive the majority of the voting once you disregard singing ability. Just look at Lazaro, are you saying he is not getting sympathy voting?

• Ramification says:

I understand what you are saying but I do not see her glowering all the time after her performances, she smiles a lot, and yes I get the demo may turn on her for this but it’s just disheartening to me. Also, please present me with evidence that 95% of the audience sees this, because she has not yet been in the bottom 2/3 (unlike Elise last year for example who had a similar perception issue however unfair that was).

• Mary says:

I do see his point, when she was not in the the top three the look on her face was like how can that be true. Also, she looked really P.. off when she was not on the judges list. I personally think that is just her mannerism, but it does come off as entitlement which is not good.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

Not good is making such a big deal over such things.

• MB says:

I am sorry but I have to agree. Candice is in my top 3 because she is good even though not my type of music but I can’t warm up to her at all out of all the girls she is the least appealing to me as a person and I couldn’t put my finger on why. I even feel bad about it. You are so right. It is because of her demeanor. It may not be right but it is how she comes across. I think what happened to her last season put a chip on her shoulder and it shows. I don’t get the same thing from Janelle and this is her third year. She is always smiling even when she was in the bottom 2. Makes a differenence.

• Adam Fachry says:

I followed Candice on twitter and she seems lovely. I’m just gonna say this, she’s among the oldest ones in the group, I’m 22 now and I can relate to some of her expressions that could be read as sour. Her kinds of expressions are often seen among the groups of young adult, 21-25, we’re having the phase where maturity is creeping in, we’re trying to fit a certain niche where we have to start thinking beyond our years, lots of unintentional demeanor comes across in our appearance as a result of over-calculated behavior. I believe with Candice, she’s just too focused on projecting a mature, well-rounded image that represents her age well. But in doing so, she comes across as less relatable.

• MamaLis says:

I don’t get this at ALL. I’m very perspicacious and I think Candice has a very kind and sweet demeanor. I mean, to say she’s looking “sour at all times -” that’s a bunch of hyperbole because she smiles at LEAST after each performance and at least during her judges feedback and at least during voting! Granted she’s not as ‘syrupy’ as the blonde, country singer, but maybe not everyone prefers that “bless your little heart” southern-pasted smile. Yeesh!

4. Rivky says:

bs’d
    Crazy thought!! Is it possible that there are people voting to get more viewers for X-Factor? Do you think Simon Cowell is laughing all the way to the bank tonight?( Or has someone running to the bank for him? ) Do you think this spells the end of life as we know it? Stay tuned to the tone deaf society’s next instalment, Arrrrghhh AND QUIT PICKING ON THE OLDER LADIES. Love, Mama <3

• Mary says:

I don’t think this will help with getting more viewers for X-factor. Fox never should of put it on and truth be told after two dismissal years then should not have renewed for the third. If by some chance AI goes off the air, I would not entice me to go to the X-factor.

5. jane says:

Burt Bacharach week next?? I hope wikipedia is wrong. The only way I’d tolerate this if the contestants had to dress up like their favorite Austin Powers character. Way to go idol for staying current!

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

I’m a bit older than the contestants and I even had to look him up. Although this probably just makes me look as bad as the contestants in terms of knowing about music history. Anyway, even then I can’t say I see anything that I am super familiar with other than “That’s What Friends Are For” and the Naked Eyes’ new wave cover of “(There’s) Always Something There to Remind Me” (which I had never realized was a cover until now). I’ve also heard of Arthur’s Theme, Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head, and What’s New Pussycat but man those were already considered OLD, OLD, OLD sounding when I was like in nursery school.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Those songs ARE old. I’m very familiar with Burt Bacharach/Hal David’s music (I think Hal David is deceased) but I’m old.

• The Beach says:

Bacharach/David wrote a number of hits with very catchy, sing-along melodies but that was a gazillion years ago so I’m sure Idol didn’t have to shell out much money for the rights. Way to save some money, Nigel.

• deedee says:

Guess I’m the only one thrilled about this theme. Burt Bacharach and Hal David wrote some of the most gorgeous tunes, and I’m a real sucker for them. *blush*

• Trouty Mouth says:

Me too. I’m 19 and love Burt Bacharach’s music. His songs are very tricky though. I don’t know if some of the contestants could pull it off.

• marie says:

Good point, Trouty Mouth, they ARE hard songs to sing. Many of them, anyway, with unexpected melodic twists and unconventional chord changes, but as I’ve posted elsewhere, we are less likely to hear those more musically clever songs than we are the simpler, poppier stuff, i.e., all the songs HGTR mentions in his/her (many apologies, I truly don’t know which!) post immediately above, with the exception of “(There’s) Always Something There to Remind Me” and “What’s New Pussycat.” The rest, along with “Close to You,” are easier, and I would bet it those easier songs we’re going to hear next week.

• marie says:

By the way, it does tickle me to hear a 19-year-old profess love for Bacharach’s music! :-) But you’d have to concede that there are most likely relatively few of you.

6. Carla says:

Like, I see why Nigel didnt save him? But this is not a way to get ratings. I DON’T believe people are voting for this clown (Lazaro). If Lazaro makes it to the top 5, I’m officially OFFICIALLY done. I can’t even post here anymore. It will legitimately upset me too much. I agree there needs to be a collective “judges boot” next season that takes someone home if they are lasting too long and not improving/constantly screwing up/throwing real talent under the bus. By no reason was Burnell that amazing…but he had a great voice. And a gift. And a cool style/personality/swagger about him that I loved. Uncle Nigel and co better think of a way to get Lazaro off the show quick or else people will discredit this show

7. GG says:

The powers that be began to sagotage Burnell last night because they wanted to see him go
    They placed him in the horriific number one slot. They also criticized his performance to death. I did not think that his rock performance was that bad

• GG says:

woops spelling error… The sentence was suppossed to read that the Powers That Be sabotaged Burnell by putting him in the horriffic number 1 slot

• Wooddieee says:

Burnell sabotoaged Burnell. I hate Idol’s manipulations as much as the next man, but everyone has had a crack at the first slot, even mighty Candice.

He lacks diversity in his talent. He has a narrow lane and Rock night hurt him the most. This is not Idol’s fault, as he chose to have a very limited musical education, and failed to work out a few solid songs for off-kilter theme nights. Burnell chose to not research Idol history and went in with very little beyond his strong tone and cheery smile. Burnell failed to cultivate a stage presence in the many months he had between his audition and the first live night, that is not the show’s fault.

8. Kim says:

Outside of the Lazaro mess, what annoyed me was the judges giviing their top three choices. Can you imagine being Candice? how she was made to feel. I also feel for Janelle and Burrell…the whole segment was low and unnecessary. We already know a girl is pegged to win, but if I were Candice or Janelle, after tonight, i’d feel like I didn’t have a chance to win. How are supposed to show up and compete when they know the judges have already sealed their fate? It’s not a competitiion anymore. They may has well eliminate Lazaro, Candice and Janelle next week and get on with the crowning.
    I think America may have other ideas besides the three. Historically, the African American females usually are voted out by top four. And I like Kree, but Janelle is the better performer.
    I also agree with MyTake up there….It seems to be all about look because Angie has a great voice, but her performances have been a little inconsiistent. I with the Judges would stop acting like they are on Project Runway with the fashion critique

• MamaLis says:

Agree to this! I felt so badly for her. I’m sure she didn’t see it coming cuz I know I sure as heck didn’t!!

9. Anna says:

This show has become a joke. I mean, Jessica almost getting eliminated? Haley not being in the top 2? LAZARO IN THE TOP 3 OF THE WEEK? Heck even Burnell did a lot better than Lazaro!

• GG says:

For a person Like Haley R to be number on,e the voting system has to be changed.

IF the voting system is not changed you are not going to see a Haley R or Candice as your winner.

You wil only see cute boy as yoru winner

10. Very Hot Dog! says:

That would be really funny to see Lazaro wins the show, after all producers have done to make it a girl’s year!!

• Gailer says:

I agree. Laz for the win LOL
      Seriously, I am more shocked Janelle was in the bottom than Laz being in the top 3.

11. Connor says:

Ok here’s a good question if Lazaro get the least amount of votes next week will they use the save or no? I think they won’t but I mean at this point I wouldn’t be shocked if they did

• darcy's evil twin says:

If they use the save on Lazaro I will do an “Elvis” on the TV.

• deedee says:

Connor, as somebody up-thread said, if Lazaro gets voted off next week, they will put a girl in the sing-for-your-life position and then pretend save her. They must use the save next week and I doubt they’d want the embarrassment of having to save Lazaro, considering they let so many superior singers go already.

12. jalahyacinth says:

Does no one remember Sanjaya? Or are we just all trying to pretend that never happened? This is Sanjaya all over again…

• darcy's evil twin says:

But didn’t Sanjaya get voted off during Week 7? and didn’t Sanjaya actually remember his lyrics?

• dj says:

If you go back and look at Sanjaya’s performances, they were so much better than Lazaro’s. And he has gotten a lot better since then. It makes me feel bad to see people still hating on him. Check out some recent stuff:

On this one, stay with it through the whole song–you can hear how much he has improved.

13. Mellie says:

CONSPIRACY THEORY: Lazaro was actually lower in the voting, but the evil (for the best reasons, THIS TIME) producers wanted to convince his voting block that they could calm down their voting next week, guaranteeing his departure from the competition.

Call me crazy…

• darcy's evil twin says:

I guess it’s possible but it would be fraudulent.
      I think they put the judges’ top three picks up there BECAUSE they knew Lazaro was in the Top 3 and they wanted to shock everyone and hopefully get Lazaro’s Azzaro kicked off next week.

14. Davey says:

For the past three weeks Jimmy has said Lasaro is the worst yet a better singer has been eliminated. His performance of Queen was lousy. It’s time for the judges to throw him under the bus. He should never have been in the top 10. I blame Nigel and the judges for the awfulness of this season.

15. Richard says:

The only way Idol is going to get fixed is if Lazaro actually wins.

• darcy's evil twin says:

OMG. Made Me Laugh! :-)

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

How would that help anything? Only thing they could do then is go to a female and male winner for each season. or change the voting, but this assumes that enough people are left voting of the sort where changing the voting system would make any difference.

• lyn says:

IMO limiting the voting would bring back a lot of viewers who have abandoned the show out of frustration. Watching Kris win over Adam, seeing Lee win at all, was enough to stop watching until they stop the unlimited voting. Someone who votes a thousand times wont buy a thousand Ford cars. It’s stupid.

• Timmah says:

If Dewyze winning didn’t change things, nothing will.

16. Caroline Lewis says:

I actually did spout “I’m done with this show 4eva!!!”

In tears.

As poor Burnell got the boot. Lazaro makes me wish there was a judges’ veto. And at this point, I would not be surprised if Lazaro wins the whole thing. Serves Lythgoe and Co. right

17. Steve F. says:

Ok, so who here is voting for Lazaro? Seriously? Can one person who actually voted for the guy step forward and admit why they did so? (Don’t worry, we won’t vilify you… yet.)

Wasn’t too upset over Burnell going bye-bye; he never got my attention, his performance last night wasn’t as good as *gasp* Lazaro’s, and when he threw Devin & Lazaro under the bus last week, I soured on him. As I’ve said, that summer tour is going to be interesting…

That Casey James song was actually decent, and I still marvel at Carrie Underwood’s AI journey.

18. Ev says:

Rarely do I get upset with Idol voting, I can normally at least rationalize it, but man…how is Lazaro the last male left? The pity votes have to stop!

19. Sandy says:

Lazaro=Sanjaya 2.0

Slezak, you never did interview Casey Jamesl like you did every other season 9 contestant ???!

• Amy in KC says:

I would love to finally see Michael interview Casey—he is one of my favorite Idols. I love his album.

20. Vice says:

Candance is very boring and her stank face tonight was quite annoying to see. America got it right tonight in all aspects.

• Wooddieee says:

I agree. The way she carries herself will be her downfall. She is a perfect singer, but a dismal failure the second the music stops.

• Mara says:

I feel like Candace and Kree do not have good tv expressions when they arent smiling. Why is Kree’s face always so blank? Even when she’s singing. They all need to work on their pageant/ singing expressions this season for sure.

• marie says:

To me, Candice looked upset. NOT “stank face.” I wish people would stop slamming her with that horrible label. I’ve said this in past columns’ comments, and don’t mind repeating it: some peoples’ NATURAL EXPRESSIONS are just gloomy / somber / PO’d looking / call it what you will. MY OWN expression is that way, and people who don’t know me well sometimes exhort me to “Cheer up!” when actually I’m perfectly content! So please stop criticizing Candice for a facial expression when you don’t know whether or not she can help looking the way she does.
      Besides, one, I did notice her bravely trying to smile last night when she saw she hadn’t made four of the five Top 3 lists and before she knew she was safe; and two, can we please judge these contestants on the quality of their singing and not on secondary characteristics like facial expression, tight pants, ripped jeans, 80s hair, etc.

• MamaLis says:

I know, Marie. Right? Seriously, “stank face?” What are you people, 8 years old that you need, like, an Elmo character smiling back at you at all times for affirmation? WTH?

21. Blinged Up says:

Really, what the hell?

22. Tahoe Mike says:

Well, all I can say is that tonight’s show caused me to finally figure out how to turn off the the voice to text message cursing filter on my phone.
    ~
    Now, if I could figure out how to turn off the cursing filter on this site I could tell you honestly how I feel about L, , , , as,,,,er,,, ,,, ho, being anywhere but on the plane home.

23. Jake says:

My Top 3 would easily be Amber, Candice, and Kree, so I’m with Mariah. I don’t think it really matters that Lazaro didn’t go home this week, because there’s enough ill will toward him for sticking around this long that he isn’t going to win. I don’t think there’s much of a chance it could happen, but I’d love to see Amber win, ideally in a face-off against Candice (even though they’re of the same genre and likely to split votes). If only the poor girl had gotten some screen time early on . . . imagine the fanbase she may have been able to build with that awesome voice of hers.

24. LeahKittyS says:

Ohh…the psychic in me is awakening…I’m getting strange feelings…there will be outrage in the near future…there will be hurt…but through it, there is hope…and in the end, a magic rainbow!
    Here is what I see:
    Who was the one person everyone disliked going into the finals? Curtis. And who was the first one eliminated? Curtis.
    Who joined Curtis at the bottom of the totem pole that week? Paul, Devin, and Burnell. And who is now gone? Paul, Devin, and Burnell.
    Who came next on the totem pole? Amber and Janelle. Who are the only women ever to be in the Bottom 3? Amber and Janelle? And who will be next to go? Amber and Janelle.
    Who was the highest ranked man the first week? Lazaro. Who is now the last nam standing? Lazaro. And who will ultimately end in fourth place? Lazaro.
    Who were the Top 3 the first week. Angie, Candice, and Kree. Who are the only ones never to be in the Bottom 3? Angie, Candice, and Kree. And who will turn out to be this year’s Top 3? Angie, Candice, and Kree!
    Omm…

• Jessica says:

I can see that-hope it turns out like that! With and Candice and Kree finale. It may be a Angie and Kree finale though b/c Joshua made it to 3.

25. Robert Lucina says:

Ummm, Candice always look pissed off. She’s not likable at all. And her voice is not all that. But you can say that about the rest too.

• AlyB says:

I find her absolutely likeable. And yes she really IS all that in terms of her singing. She’s an incredible talent and the one I’d most like to see in the finale. That of course means it probably won’t happen. Enjoy your Angie Lazaro finale.

• deedee says:

Well, I like her, Robert. I don’t need people to look happy-happy-pappy all the time for me to think they’re nice. I can’t believe how many negative comments I’m reading here about Candice’s appearance and demeanor. Turns my stomach.

26. Lois Benton says:

How DARE the judges and the show list any Top Three, much less four of them, that DARES to suggest that Candice isn’t in the Top Three on the basis of overall talent? I read the reviews of the results show before I saw it, and I knew that the judges listed Top Three’s but I thought it was just for last night’s performance. Jimmy’s list did seem to be about last night’s performance, or I assumed it was, but then the judges started talking about a cumulative Top Three, which would be rude enough, but then three judges didn’t include Candice. Candice is one of the best singers ever on Idol. And why torture her and sweet Janelle that way? This is getting to be a vile show, and I am starting to actively hate it. And I specifically hate Nigel Lythgoe.

• Mary says:

They showed the top three to get people voting because for some strange reason Lazaro is up there. Now as for the top three contestants, I do not understand why everyone is hating on the judges for their picks. IT IS THEIR PICKS. Personally I pick Candice over Angie, but I really want Amber and Kree in the top two. I would buy their music. As much as think Candice is good, I was not thrill with her last couple of performances. They are starting to blend together for me, sorry.

27. Lois Benton says:

Candice is too good for this show. Amber is too good for this show. All I really like about this show are Candice and Amber. They are made to sing horrible songs, but they still shine. Burnell was a compelling performer, but if I were him, I’d be happy not to have to sing Burt Bacharch. Oh, my dear Lord! Are the producers engaging in a behind-the-scenes contest to see who can come up with the most God-awful theme? It’s like the cooking show Chopped, wherein the contestants have to take disgusting, incompatible ingredients and create an edible dish.

28. MamaLis says:

First off: also indignant about the insistence to pick and read the “Top Three – ” sans Candice!! I bet her heart was dying!

Secondly: Don’t put *that* into the universe about where she might finish. She VERY WELL could win this competition! The judges pick (really) has NOTHING to do with who the public are picking and thus far – Candice is faring quite well each and every week!! Who knows – she might have been 1st for all we know – the naming of Kree and Angie first might have been Idol’s version of “good TV.” (“See America, Idol knows how to pick them!”)

Candice is doing well in this room. People recognize her talent and seem to be responding to her week and after week. I can only hope ‘this room’ is somewhat representative of the general public. I think she’s going all the way!

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

Umm how could Candice have even been first this week when she wasn’t even in the top three!! (not that I blame your brain for not being able to comprehend that fact and not noticing it!)

• MamaLis says:

Oh my gosh, you are right! I somehow missed that the Top Three were – in actuality – the “Top Three.” Oh boy…..

29. Guitar Blue says:

Eventually, either Candice, Amber, Angela or Kree is going to get knocked-out by the other girls, and the outrage will be even worse than this week. Even though one may get the save, the eliminations keep rolling the week after.

Janelle was in the bottom 2, so I’m not seeing many bloggers come to her defense. It will get interesting if she survives one of the other girls.

30. JeezIfinallyhadtocomment says:

Why the refrain that Lazaro is this year’s ‘cute boy’? Tim Urban was cute, even Sanjaya was cute…the combination of Lazaro’s blanched, drenched-in-perspiration (from second note on) face, plump hips and oddly misplaced, balled-up tube sock actually creeps me out.

• Amy says:

Jeez..Yes. That. ^^^^ for me, for you. Although…Tim & Sanjaya weren’t my thing either! But I get your point…

But for others….I think it’s the smile, the hair, the flamboyant ice-cream man jackets, and maybe the sheer odds of this “true” underdog overcoming. Or..something.

And I’m sorry….I think I may have just lost a slot in heaven for that…truly just trying to figure it out not to be mean. After all, we pick apart all Idol’s and analyze…it is what we do here…

• deedee says:

” the flamboyant ice-cream man jackets” — hahaha! The contestants and judges are all sharing wardrobes this season. Nicki’s borrowing form Janelle and Amber, and Laz is shopping in Randy’s closet.

31. Booya says:

It must kill Slezak that his beloved Idol is circling the drain. Yet he continues to write about it as if the show still matters to anyone. Terrible judges. Even worse contestants. And a dreadfully boring songbook.

I suggest The Voice instead. Hell. Even The X-Factor is better than this sinking ship.

• Amy says:

Ew…the 5 minutes I gave X-Factor the year it started, turned me off for life.
      The Voice is entertaining, though I’ve yet to get hooked and follow an entire season…but I believe all of you who do and enjoy it. Because I haven’t watched beyond the auditions, I’m not aware of any of their winners post Voice careers.
      And for sure, I “get” ALL Idol’s many sins.
      That said…hasn’t Idol still produced more viable musical careers, in proportion to the years on? Idol has it’s cheez factor, no doubt…but I still can’t deny the talent it’s produced, and platform afforded, whether it’s the super-star status of Carrie and Kelly, successful acts like Daughtry, and viable careers in music for others, they otherwise might not have had. I have bought certain Idol contestants’ music post-Idol and remained a fan, and found them as valid and enjoyable as any other artist I’ve found through other means.

• Amy says:

As for Michael, I’d assume he knows everything runs it’s course. But with 419 comments and counting…as long as people are still coming to this site to comment on Idol…is as long as it continues I’d guess..

32. Vetle says:

What the hell America? Lazaro in the top 3?

I’m not American so I don’t take ANY blame for this. lol

33. Alex says:

Lazaro is an AWFUL person! Don’t even mention the singing. He’s petty and mean and he makes really tacky and rude comments against the judges and the other contestants. Why don’t people notice? OH WAIT, he has a frickin’ stutter. I am so beyond disgusted with American Idol at this point. Lazaro is a CAPITAL loser who can’t remember his words or the ability to sing from one week to the next. He will be on the FINALE stage because America loves a sob story. But they certainly won’t buy it’s album. Remember Taylor Hicks? Oh wait, no. You don’t. #downwithLAZARO

34. clinngy says:

At this point everbody should just make peace with the idea of Lazaro winning this season just think of what fun it’ll be to see how idol would justify his win LOL!

35. If they don’t use their save next week, the show will NOT end a week early. If you remember, whenever a save is used, the following week TWO people get sent home. It has always been this way.

• deedee says:

No it hasn’t. It was only that way when they didn’t factor in the save when making the season’s schedule. Last year after Jessica was saved, only Colton went home the following week.

• themediaho says:

They have to use the save by the top five or else they lose it — nothing says they HAVE to use it.

36. Blank Slate says:

Must make comment about the alleged judges. Minaj can make me laugh but there’s no legitimate reason for this crop to have been hired. They are horrible. Boring. No chemistry. And it is beyond obnoxious to see Mariah Carey constantly reading her script, talking in that absurd accent, and playing with and stroking “her” hair. It’s all so stupid that not one word r glance has been aired between Mariah and Nikki. Do they know how ridiculous they look? The advice proffered by these four schmows is worthless. I’ve never felt less committed to this she than this year. Put it out of its misery and end this mess.

37. Idol needs to be like Dancing With the Stars, where you’re allowed a certain amount of votes per phone line or text number. That way a tween can’t lay in bed and redial or retext over and over and over!

• Even if Idol wants to do this, they’ll lose huge money if they limit the amount of votes. Idol is really doomed this season.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

I still don’t get how they actually make money off of votes. By the time voting starts cell phone plans are all into free minutes aren’t they? And for landlines it is free since they are 1-800 type numbers. Anyone who didn’t have unlimited txting plan would just call and use the online voting instead no?

or do they really get people madly txting away and wasting tons of their money for no reason? I suppose that could be the case or they can try to claim that Idol leads people into buying unlimited txt plans, but that seems really hard to believe.

38. Am I the only one who thinks that Lazaro’s stuttering is all an act? If he can sing straight, then he should be able to speak straight.

39. Spell says:

Michael you REALLY need to stop bring up Breanna cos her voice is not even on par with 5 of the girls right now. She deserves to go home early and it’s not even funny when you kept bringing her up as a good reference.

40. Jen says:

Is there any way the voting system could have been hacked? I’m serious. That’s how much I am in disbelief over all of this. Lazaro is the top male undiscovered singing talent in America? Lazaro? Really?

• Jessica says:

LOL! It’s so crazy you have to laugh. Or just glare at all of his fans.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

With it being VFTW’s last season suddenly and some of the types there you almost might wanna think so hah but nah people say he is #2 on twitter.

41. JASon says:

Calm down Slezak! Not everyone shares your opinion! My three favorites are Janell, Angie, and Amber! Kree and Candice make predictable song choices and while they have strong voices they have not been reinventing songs (janell)and playing original songs( Angie) and picking interesting songs( Amber)!

42. Jessica says:

I can go long and drawn out addressing my wrath with the whole AI production and voters but I am so angry at what they did to Candice-after all the hard work she puts in. The voters and voting system for the sob stories is pathetic. The guy has got to be gone next week or he just may win the whole thing. I can’t go there in my mind.

43. Scarlett says:

I’d like for Lazaro to sing a song in Spanish to see if that erases the issues we see when he sings in English. He seems to have a good voice but he hasn’t been able to show it much in the live shows. I’m not defending his forgetting lyrics, messing up… but I just want to know if it’s all language related. And I do think that people are being overly unkind in their comments. Come on, it’s just a reality show. Give him a little credit for trying something that is surely outside of his comfort zone. We could all be a bit more tolerant.

• Jessica says:

With all respect to him as a person I want to know where his professionalism is. That is my issue with him. This a business and he should be working harder and not smiling through this. Seeing someone sweat out of nervousness this late into the competition-I can’t take seriously.

44. Maria says:

Let’s call this what it is. Lazaro is in the top 3 because a bunch of teenage girls think he’s cute.

45. Jessica says:

More than Breanna (yeah that upset me) what on earth happened Nate Tao?? Talk about no explanation.

• Wooddieee says:

That Elijah kid filled Nigel’s checkbox for male non-black diversity. So Nate was cut. The show is cast for roles & buzz up through the top 10, its not based on talent. The judges have little to no say in it, especially not first year judges with no experience or stake in the process. (No, Randy the noisy paperweight does not count, he’s along for the ride he is paid to be on.

46. Amy says:

Ok enough about Laz-matazz.
    I have no clue who takes it this year, for the first time, but my feelings about them at this point..
    –Candice has impressed me consistently. I’ve enjoyed all her numbers. She’s been the most flawless singer, and yes…may be “too there” already and not “the Idol type” to win it all, as she surely deserves. When I close my eyes she always sounds like a finished cd to me. Depending on her style of music post Idol is whether it’d be my type to buy. But I love her voice and what she does with it.
    –Kree’s voice is a personal favorite and I was an early and consistent fan, and she sings a style of music I’d buy. But, I get some of the critiques of her…she is kind of remaining (for lack of a word here) “level.” Easy, beautiful vocals, but not enough standout performances and moments (oops that word)… a little too laid back…even for her “style.” I can’t put my finger on it. Still deserves to be up there in the top 3 or 2.
    –Angie knocked me out with that original. I thought then…true artist with BIG voice and writing chops. Might be so. But right after she started to morph into something other than that for me…she seemed Marie Osmond circa 1975, variety show, Glee, High School musical and also to sell the “sexy” thing more than the “true artist” thing….and she just stayed south for me then. However, wind machines aside…I did like the Evanescence performance.
    –Amber is the dark horse, and this week was her best for me, since the Whitney song…her rock performance was strong, and that’s not even her lane. Not that I’m saying she’ll pull this off…but she’s the type and has the talent, youth and looks where I can “envision” the confetti shower when I watch her…like I felt about Jordan early during her year. But Jordan I thought would win. Amber is surrounded by other strong contenders and often getting over-shadowed by them.
    –Janelle won me over a bit…I love her authenticly sweet-seeming, uncensored personality.
    Loved loved loved what she did Detroit week. Wish her success in country, that I certainly think she can have, a la’ Kelly Pickler…without winning it all…which I don’t think she will do.

47. ssc38 says:

So…..I have not read thru all 400 plus comments, so I don’t know if this has been commented on…but…..did anyone else notice Lararo’s red pants Wed. night?? Was it just me, or did he not look like he had a couple of socks stuffed down the front of his pants? And those awful ones he had on last night were not much better!

48. Buck Jones says:

Lazaro is a cross between Scott MacIntyre and Sanjaya. Vote for the Worst is BACK Baby! Howard Stern would be so proud…

49. Blank Slate says:

You can barely hear Lazaro’s pitiful voice over the band. He has zero stage presence. Talk about stink faces! His are smug and snooty. I’m embarrassed I’m still watching the show when this is what passes as talent on the largest tv platform.

50. WO says:

And that is why IDOL is getting real old… real fast… the good ones get sent home and the bad ones move on. It is a popularity contest… not a talent contest. That is why I stopped watching it ages ago. One out of every 4 winners actually does something… and by does something I mean actually sustains a career. A platinum first album for the winner means nothing when they only need 5% of the voting audience to buy it. Kelly, Carrie, Daughtry, Hudson (not for singing album), Adam, Scotty, Lauren… 3 winners in 12 season have actually done something and the rest didn’t even win. That means IDOL’s chance of finding an “idol” is……… not even worth calculating.