American Idol Top 7 Results Recap: The Rock Week Horror Picture Show

American-Idol-Top-7-Results-RecapI know there’ve been a lot of criticisms of American Idol Season 12, but none of its results shows up till now have driven me into a homicidal rage. (Okay, Breanna Steer not cracking the Top 10 came pretty close, but we haven’t had a moment where I’ve been on the brink of spouting “THAT’S IT! I’M DONE WITH THIS SHOW 4EVA!” nonsense.)

And I guess that’s why I approached Top 7 Results Night with a mixture of paranoia and dread. Okay, yeah, Lazaro Arbos got saddled with the most ominous lyric from the group performance of Queen’s “Somebody to Love” — “I got no rhythm/ I just keep losing my beat” — but there was a sinking feeling in my gut that reminded me how Jessica Sanchez, Jennifer Hudson and Matt Giraud all (unjustly) received the lowest number of votes at this point in the competition in their respective seasons. Yeah, two of ‘em got the “Judges’ Save” while one of ‘em went on to get the Oscar, but still, the message kept flashing in my brain: You can’t get this far into the competition without bad things happening. Verrrry bad things, in fact.

RELATED | American Idol‘s Ratings Woes: 8 Common-Sense Ways to Salvage Season 12

Of course, it took almost a half hour before Ryan cut to the chase and started getting down to the business of results. But before he’d even had a chance to tell us what the speed-dialing nation had done with its great responsibility, I found myself with that familiar feeling: Fury in my gut, expletives on my tongue, and a “HULK SMASH!” vibe percolating in my nonexistent pecs.

What had me so hopping mad? Idol mentor Jimmy Iovine and three out of four judges naming their personal Top 3 lists and failing to include the season’s most talented, most consistent competitor — Candice Flippin’ Flover Glover (see how angry I am?)

Welcome back, unrelenting anger, my old friend. Shall we cut to the proceedings? Might as well!

JIMMY’S/JUDGES’ PICKS FOR THE TOP 3
JIMMY: Amber, Angie, Kree (but he also loves Candice)
KEITH: Kree, Angie, Amber (did dude forget Angie’s Top 9 and Top 8 performances)
NICKI: Angie, Amber, Kree (ditto!)
RANDY: Amber, Kree, Angie (not that anyone cares what Randy thinks)
MARIAH: Kree, Amber, Candice (well, THANK YOU, Mariah, for being the sole voice of sanity)

VIDEO | Idol‘s Devin Velez on Nicki Minaj Feud and That Infamous Trio! Plus: Bieber & Pink Theme Nights?

Then it was time for actual votes — from America — the ones that count.

AMERICA’S TOP 3 (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER)
Kree Harrison
Angie Miller
That Dude Who Forgot His Lyrics the Past Two Weeks

ALSO SAFE
Candice Glover
Amber Holcomb

BOTTOM TWO
Janelle Arthur
Burnell Taylor

SINGING FOR HIS LIFE
Burnell Taylor: India.Arie’s “Ready for Love” | Burnell sang with great intensity and heart — hitting most of his notes, albeit with a slight case of mushy-mouth. But after his absolutely lame Wednesday cover of “You Give Love a Bad Name,” I’m not sure he’d have scored the save even if he’d levitated up and over the judges table and into the VIP seating where The Mindy Project stars were enjoying some cross-promotional synergy. Nope, the Save carries into next week, and it probably should, just as a final defense against the Lazaro Epidemic.

A few additional thoughts:

* Perhaps Janelle’s Bottom 2 placing is a classic case of vote splitting: Country fans are gravitating to Kree, and she’s the one losing out. Ditto for Amber and Candice, who may be sharing the R&B Diva fan base — and unable to crack the Top 3 as a result. Depressing, but it might explain Lazaro’s Top 3 placing: He’s got the “tone deaf” and “loves cute boys” voting blocs all to himself!

* Listless as that group performance of “Somebody to Love” was, Candice’s final epic solo run made it all worthwhile. Even if she’s destined to finish the season at No. 5 or maybe No. 4, she’s made my first half of 2013 a better place to be.

* Let’s hope Fox releases those Ford “Who’s Your Idol?” photos for sites like TVLine to publish! The Top 7 was lookin’ fly. That said, would you have ever guessed ballad-crazed Burnell would choose someone as edgy as Pharrell Williams as his main inspiration?

* Casey James’ “The Good Life” felt a little hook-free to me, but he won me over with his sheer enthusiasm for being back on the Idol stage with an original track — and his thoughtful personalized gifts for the Top 7.

* Footage from Carrie’s pre-audition farm life never ceases to amaze me. I thought her voice sounded a tad war-torn on new single “See You Again” (and I prefer the monumental “Two Black Cadillacs, persoanlly), but it’s always great to see a reminder of the power this program holds. They really don’t get more powerhouse than The Lady Underwood these days, do they? And her journey started right there on the Idol stage.

I’ll be back shortly to update this post with more info on guest performers and other deets, but until then, it’s your turn. What did you think of Season 12 Top 7 results night? Did the right person go home? And did you dig Carrie Underwood and Casey James? Sound off in the comments, and for all my Idol-related news, recaps, interviews and videos, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Amy says:

The scary thing….when Nigel’s minions check this site and others and see the Idol-loonie nation up in arms…they’ll be thrilled by the impending high ratings from people tuning in to see where this train-wreck ends up. At the end of the day it’s always about Idol the tv show.

2. Nicole says:

Can anybody say, “Sanjaya Part Deux”?

• duranmom says:

Soooooooo what I was thinking earlier today. Except Sanjaya was in on the joke — do you think Lazaro is?

I think not.

• Amy says:

Oh, I think he is…but maybe feels the joke’s on his detractors, each time “his fans” vote him right through…again! He’s “unaware” like a fox.

• deedee says:

No, that’s the difference between Sanjaya and Lazaro. Sanjaya ran with the joke and made it even funnier with the outrageous hairdos every week. Lazaro takes himself too seriously to see that he is being played by the show.

• Paul says:

Perhaps if they do the duo of current and past Idols, we can get a Lazaro-Sanjaya duet of “Take me Out to the Ball Game”

3. BarbL says:

Here’s an idea that combines product placement and more meaningful voting:
    On each bottle/can of Coke product is a code–you have to enter that code through text, phone call or computer, and random wins of 1 to 50 votes could be awarded. No code, no vote.
    I don’t see Nigel and company self-limiting votes unless there was benefit to the sponsors.

• forrest says:

doesn’t AT&T profit from all those 25 million text message votes? I don’t expect Idol to undercut a major sponsor by changing anything.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

I’d think most people who would use txt msgs to vote would have unlimited txt plans otherwise they’d just call for free to vote note? Without a power voting app phone call voting is faster anyway.

• Name That Tune says:

When I had AT&T my text message plan was unlimited during Idol. Then I turned it down once Idol was over. I think the difference was only 10 or 20 dollars a month.

• Jay says:

Oh, I hadn’t thought about it that way. There’s no hope for the show, then. We might as well quit watching and simply read the reviews because the current voting set-up is a joke.

4. duranmom says:

Poor Michael. He’s so irritated that he misspelled Candace’s last name. That’s OK bc he got the description of Lazaro correct. I’ll cut him slack for that and add 5 rocker points for creativity!

5. screan says:

I think the Vote For the Worst people are a bigger force this year. They are probably all power voting for Lazaro. It’s safe to say that unless he is eliminated next week, the judges will save whichever girl lands in the bottom. I think Jimmy needs to back off Lazaro a little so his fans don’t get so defensive. Being harsh has clearly backfired.

6. ilovepinays says:

Burnell is trending worldwide on twitter and even lazaro…. didn;t took a screenshot of it..

atleast im relief janelle is save if not they’ll use the saved unanimously..

7. MB says:

Okay I am so close to be done with this show. This is about the worse thing I’ve seen on Idol. Lazaro in top 3. He could actually win this thing and that would without a doubt be the nail in the coffin. And yes Michael in what way is the top 3 not with Candace. She is not my favorite but she is in my top 3. I don’t get it. She is consistently good every week.
    Then right after the show is over there is a twitter post that Ryan Seacrest may not be back next year. The producers are talking about totally stripping down from top to bottom. Going back to their roots with having a judging panel like they did in the beginning with 2 industry insiders like Simon an Randy and a has been celebrity like Paula. Then having a new not a household ame host. Okay, I agree about the judges but Ryan is what makes Idol work. One of the things said he is too expensive and ratings are way down. This may just be a huge rumor but geez.

• LeahKittyS says:

Probably a crazy rumor. Ryan’s contract was renewed for 2 seasons after Season 11, so he’s supposed to stay on for Season 12 and 13 (if there is a Season 13, that is.)

• Paul says:

Even though Idol’s ratings are way down from its past – its share is still pretty large compared to other shows. Fox would have to expect that they have something that can take as large a share than even a lower Idol.

• LeahKittyS says:

Well, considering how uninvested the production team is this year (can’t bother to get more songs cleared, for one thing!) they may have a project in the works that they’re waiting to unveil. They may be trying to usher Idol out so they can debut it. I wonder what it could be?

8. Guitar Blue says:

Has Seacrest or any of the Judges said that they have to use the save “by the top 5 this year”??? Anyone heard them say that for sure?? If they said it sometime, I must have missed it.

• marie says:

I’m pretty sure I heard that. Next week is the last week the save can be used. I’m reasonably sure that if any of the ladies are in danger of going home, she will be saved. But that’s just prolonging the torture because…
      The following week, Lazaro will again be safe, one of the women will leave, and there’s your top three with Lazaro, just as foreshadowed tonight.
      I think I’m gonna be sick.
      In past seasons, by this point, voting numbers were at least in the 30-something million range; tonight, there were 25 million – actually a million fewer than last week.
      Sad to day, I think this show is very possibly on its last legs.

9. dj says:

I think Candice is getting all my votes from here on out.

10. HitTheGroundRunning says:

But wow America actually put Lazaro above Candice and Amber!! and Janelle and Burnell.

11. Matt says:

I thought Carrie sounded great; that just isn’t the best song to do live.

12. TV Fan says:

Nikki did say Lazaro has special powers. I guess it is true. Lol

• Guitar Blue says:

yeah, the Laz will put on his Burt Bacharach jacket and go after Country Janelle, R&B Candice and Amber next week. No need to worry about the lyrics, it’s the “look” that counts on this show.

13. What is happening to my favorite show? Why is it sucking so bad this year? Lazaro top 3? Ugh!!!!

14. me says:

lazaro inspires a lot of people, just give him equal chance, not all people who stutter can sing. im not saying he deserve to win ai but honestly he deserve to be in top 6

• Dan says:

Really? Being inspiring does not equal having talent. He was the least talented in the top 10! He forgets his lyrics! He must go home!

• justme says:

Girl please! Maybe the top 6 if it was a contest for worst singer.

• Amy says:

Yes he stutters.
      No, he doesn’t really sing that well…and certainly not well enough to win a singing competition for a singing contract and career.
      The fact that he stutters and can sorta carry a tune…”for a stutterer” and “inspires people” is just not the point on Idol…at all.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

Yeah and there are millions of other people who stutter or who are overcoming far worse but they can’t sing so they aren’t on the show. Is it a singing contest or not?
        I guess we’ve long known the answer though….

• Paul says:

This has never been a singing contest – it has been a performing contests with a singing contract. There have been plenty of best singers in other seasons that have not won. It is the whole package. Plenty of established artists have teleprompters on words – plenty use Auto-tune – it is the entertainer.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

nah it’s not even been about the entertainer by any means either, was Scotty even close to the most entertaining of the season??

• forrest says:

……this is the voting block supporting L. Can’t wait now for his confetti shower in May……

• LeahKittyS says:

Thank you, me. I hate it when people are mean to contestants on this show (besides the judges, of course; that’s part of their job). I’ll agree that Paul, Devin, and Burnell are all stronger singers than Lazaro, but we all know he can’t win. VFTW picks never win, and the girls are just too good. At the end of the day, does it really matter who finishes when? Lazaro isn’t this year’s Sanjaya; he’s this year’s Danny Gokey. And Danny was shut out of his finale. So keep calm and vote for the women. Especially Candice and Janelle, because it looks like they could use it now.

• Mafs95 says:

We are giving him an equal chance, that’s why we’re a bit harsh on him. We judge his performances with the same criteria we judge the other contestants. I think you are the one who’s not giving him an equal chance but actually evaluating his performances in a different manner than the rest of the competition just because he stutters. His story is very touching and inspiring, but this isn’t “Extreme Makeover – Home Edition” or “Dr. Phill”. This is a singing competition and he just doesn’t belong there. This is not helping him at all. The more he stays in the competition, the less he practices his vocals to the tour.

• Mary says:

I agree plus it prolongs the agony. The bottom line is win or not he will not get a contract. To me that would be more harmful to him.

• MB says:

Don’t they have to give him a contract if he wins? Last year I remember them saying they did not have to give second place a contract but first place automatically gets a record deal.

• AlyB says:

No, he does not deserve to be there. Several better singers have gone home ahead of him already. He can’t remember the lyrics to his songs. He’s had only one half way decent performance and his duets and trios have been utter train wrecks, putting the other contestants in a bad light. He needs to go home, like yesterday….like weeks ago. He’s been inspirational, fine. Now he’s just irritating and long past due to be eliminated.

• Adam Fachry says:

You’re wrong. It has become a common sense now that the brain parts for talking and singing are different. I dare Lazaro sing a song that’s sort of spoken-word esque kind of like the ones on Talking Heads’ Remain In Light album. But then again, if he stutters during the performance, the pity votes will surely dominate.

15. Leah Hoffman says:

Maybe this will help Candice and other deserving contestants get more votes, and people will be more serious about who they’re voting for.

16. The Brad says:

Now the real problem is that Lazaro is the only guy left with 5 girls splitting votes. Just by numbers sake I’m going to say he makes it to top 4 at least. Who else are all the tween girls going to vote for?

• Rick says:

I’m pretty sure all the tween girls are long gone, I’m in high-school and the only singing show anyone watches is the Voice, because of Adam Levine.

• LeahKittyS says:

The tween and teen girls are definitely gone from the American Idol scene. My younger sister and cousin are in high school, and they are into “The X Factor” because they love Demi Lovato and One Direction (British, I know, but it’s all Simon’s work). Nobody in their classes watches Idol anymore. Heck, very few of my friends still tune in and I’m in college. People around here are saying the show is on its last legs; I can’t say I disagree. Some head of FOX says it could still be around for years to come. I have a name for high-up-in-the-business people like that: delusional.

• MB says:

My granddaughter is in high school and she doesn’t watch idol anymore. She use to love the show a few years back before Simon left. Now she says it is just too fake. She is a fan of Nicki and that still did not bring her back.

• Name That Tune says:

The demographics for the show have said it is adult females over the age of 35 who watch and vote. The tweens, if they are watching are watching with their mothers or grandmothers.

• Mich says:

I’m actually surprised that the tweens/high schoolers aren’t voting for Janelle. She’s like a Taylor Swift -obviously not a standout singer, but blonde, cutesy and likeable.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

I am surprised too since the country voting block has been HUGE on these shows lately. Very puzzling. She isn’t really Taylor Swift though in that she is a lot more southern and twangy and true country (Taylor is actually from the Northeast, near Reading, PA I think and started already at pop cross over country and has become more pop ever since).

• Name That Tune says:

The country voting block is behind Kree. Janelle lost that battle weeks ago.

• Adam Fachry says:

Which explains the disappearance of tween voters. The country voters are likely frauen over the age of 40 who find Kree more interesting than Janelle.

• marie says:

^^^I’m all for freedom of speech, but I wish the word “frauen” could be flagged on this board, just like *&#$ and @#!* and &@^%$@, etc. Anyone ever calls me that to my face will wish they hadn’t.

17. JR says:

The awkward moment when Lazaro gets more votes than Candice, Amber and Janelle… please, what’s wrong with ‘Murica?!

18. AuntTallulah says:

Don’t you think this is a plot to push certain people forward? Lazaro making top three to tick off all of the Candice voters? The judges are told to pick the top three & Candice is not one of them?

Seems like manipulation to me!

• Name That Tune says:

No plot. Lazaro has a lot of followers.

• Adam Fachry says:

Followers on twitter can be bought. It’s always been done by b, c, d list celebrities, corporates, etc. But Nigel buying Lazaro tons of followers is definitely one of the craziest scenarios ever. If that’s the plan he’s been having all along then it doesn’t make sense.

• Name That Tune says:

Msybe so. Do you think he’s bought them? How much do you think he paid for the 50, 000 followers he has? And how did he get the money?

19. Holly says:

Tonight’s show proved to me that the judges have no real power – they are simply mouthpieces for the Idol producers, who apparently don’t think Candice will be able to sell many records. They showed incredible disrespect by uniformly keeping Candice out of the top 3 (except for Mariah of course – maybe the freedom to express her true opinions, regardless of how incoherent they may be, is written in her contract.)

• marie says:

Totally agree about the judges being mouthpieces for TPTB and their disrespect of Candice in keeping her out of their top threes.

• Mary says:

I do not think it was disrespectful that they did not pick Candice. They truly might think those are the top three with potential and personally I agree. Candice is very talented but I probably would not buy her music. Every one taste in music is different, just because they don’t agree with you doesn’t mean they are wrong or a mouth piece. I honestly believe, especially because Nicki was not to please with it being announce that is really their pick.

• darcy's evil twin says:

See, I’m one of the people here that’s been supportive of Mariah. I am totally vindicated, LOL. What is WRONG with these judges???? Candice is the best talent on that show!

20. Willow says:

I fear a Melinda Doolittle/Tamyra Gray/Latoya London esque 3rd or 4th place finish for Candice. Too professional and always good, so people don’t vote. And Amber’s quiet yet rootable trajectory has always reminded me of Jordin Sparks. I just wish she had Jordin’s spark (pun intended)

• Mary says:

I would buy Amber’s music today. I think she is the whole package. Her I-tunes are gorgeous and she is marketable. If a record label cannot make money off her, then they do not know what they are doing. She does need help in her stage presence, but I truly believe that can be improved with time. I actually like her voice more than Kree who is my second favorite.

21. Fran V says:

Is it really so surprising that Lazaro was in the top 3? Nigel has so manipulated the show this year to produce a female winner that Laz is the only one left for the tweeners to vote for. If Laz wins, it would be instant karma st its best.

• Why can’t tween girls vote for girls? Isn’t Taylor Swift their patron saint? Can’t they vote for Amber’s ripped jeans or Kree’s stilleto boots? Do not understand!

• Paul says:

Trying to be sexy to guys (ripped jeans – revealing clothing) might be turning off the female voting – and the young-youngs for sure.

• AlyB says:

I don’t think it’s the tweeners at all. I doubt they’re watching much. It’s the granny, isn’t he a nice boy, vote that’s putting him through. Honestly, can you imagine any teenager actually listening to any record he might conceivably put out?

• LeahKittyS says:

I would, if he got far enough. Please don’t throw bricks at me.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Please! Us “grannies” are NOT voting for Lazaro. We grew up in an era when people had to be able to sing live! Rhianna and Katy Perry would never have survived the 60s and the Ed Sullivan show. We don’t vote for a contestant because he’s a “nice boy” or she’s a “nice girl”. Some of our favorite artists died from drug overdoses for crying out loud. Or should have. The kids here that whine and cry racist if someone criticizes a minority contestant or accuse us of being mean to Lazaro would slit your wrists if someone sent you back in time and you experienced life in the 60s and 70s.

• deedee says:

Is this the hippie version of, “when I was your age I used to walk 20 miles to school on bloody stumps”? :D

• marie says:

That too, DET, yes: no AutoTune back in the day, and far fewer studio tricks; all the acts on Ed Sullivan did indeed sing live, no lip-synching (although there was on some other shows).
          I’m glad we older women are speaking up here!

• The Beach says:

Lazaro said tonight his big influence is Josh Groban, Now that’s sure gonna bring in the teen fans:)

• LeahKittyS says:

Hey, Josh Groban is one of my all-time favorite singers! I’ve seen him in concert twice. As serious as his music is, he’s a total goofball in between. I love that kind of music, which is why I was kind of bummed when Devin got cut.
          Hey, there’s an idea! With Devin gone, Lazaro should sing something in Spanish to fill the niche! He said so on Twitter he’s been wanting to.

• dj says:

I bet Josh is thrilled to pieces.

• Trouty Mouth says:

Dreary easy-listening ballads. Figures.

• BarbL says:

I’m a granny :^) and I wouldn’t vote for Laz even if they threatened to take away my walker.

• AlyB says:

LOL ok ok, i give. Yay for all of you women of a certain beautiful, age that appreciated the great music of your day and support the talent coming up today. A trip to the show boards though, will show you there is a cabal of your contemporaries, probably the same ones that called you hippies and never got edgier than Tom Jones, that are effusive in their love of Lazaro’s golden voice and how adorable he is (excuse me while I gag). They insist they are voting for his talent. Sigh…..To each his own I guess. I would have died to be able to go to Woodstock. I think maybe I was born into the wrong time. I would have loved it back then.

• BarbL says:

“Maggot Brain” by the Funkadelics was about as edgy as I got. Loved Joe Cocker, the Cream, etc. Missed Woodstock because my ride fell though. “You Just Keep Me Hanging On” covered by Vanilla Fudge. Of course, Hendrix, and Janis’s “Pearl” album was one of the few I ever bought.

22. Mafs95 says:

This doesn’t make any sense but I guess I was right: Candice/Amber and Kree/Janelle are now in a bit of a trouble because they may suffer from vote splitting. My honest guess is Angie will win, which I only consider satisfatory if she starts to give level “A” performances. Ok, if her song “You Set Me Free” is her victory song I would also be happy. But the one I want to win is Candice… or Amber :(

23. me says:

la za ro is our top 3 america, deal with it

24. Mb says:

Someone probably mentioned this already, but it’s amazing how Lazaro remembered all the words to Burnell’s save song. Ironic.

• Amy says:

I know!! I noticed that too! (side eye here..)

• LeahKittyS says:

Okay, I can understand where everyone’s coming from with the Lazaro outrage. But I specifically remember, from Season 6, a very handsome man named Chris Richardson. He botched lyrics in his songs exactly FIVE weeks in a row. And I don’t recall this level of outrage directed him, except from Michael Slezak himself. What’s changed since then?

25. Chris says:

I lost a lot of respect for two of the three new judges tonight. A lot. One of them distinctly said their top three was based on all the performances thus far, and is one of the four of them who CAN’T STOP gushing over Candice, week after week. I can’t think of one thing that justifies their top three not including Candice – not ONE thing.

F’in rediculous!!!!!

*drops key board and walks out of the room*

• Mafs95 says:

Really? I thought it was based on last night’s performances. Even that would be hard to swallow, but based on every performance? Are you kidding me? They must have fish memory because they certainly are not remembering “I Who Have Nothing”, “Come Together”, “Ordinary People” and “I’m Going Down”. That girl has true pipes!

• marie says:

Yes, one judge did indeed say it was based on body of work so far.
      A farce.
      I guess when you’re being paid that much money, after a while you just willingly become a mere mouthpiece for the producers.

26. Gayle says:

Vote for the Worst rears its ugly head again!

27. Maddie says:

As much as I love Cancice and hearing her every week, I really may just watch on YouTube the next day from now on. I don’t think that I can take another week of Lazaro!!! I found it terribly ironic that he mouthed the words to Burnell’s “sing for save” song and can’t learn his own lyrics! He’s no vocalist and his pompous attitude is beyond annoying. His fifteen minutes of fame were over three days ago!!! Not to be mean, but I hope that the ratings continue to tank simply because nobody who actually listens wants to hear Lazaro any more….it would serve Nigel & Co right! Karma…..

28. trimaran12 says:

C’mon, you guys haven’t figured it out by now? A high percentage of voters are voting for a particular story and not always for the artist they wish to support afterwards. Cutest boy-next-door type with the best underdog story wins. Kris Allen? Poor Kris, the judges just don’t appreciate his talent, even though most of his arrangements came from youtube, he is soooo creative and original. Lee DeWyze? Poor thing is so nervous and we don’t want him to go back to the paint store, do we? We don’t care that he is out of tune. Scotty? He is fighting to stay country against Lady Gaga and other nefarious persons. We must protect him! Doesn’t matter that he only can sing in one style. Phillip Phillips? He’s so sick and brave and we don’t want him to go back to the pawn shop, do we? Lazaro? He is so cute and has so much to overcome. Singing well, learning lyrics and making good song choices are secondary to his struggle to be understood on so many levels. And that meanie Jimmy Iovine…

• Mafs95 says:

There’s a big difference between Lazaro and all of those you mentioned (even Lee): they can sing quite well. Were they the best ones? Not in my opinion, but at least they knew the words to the songs they were singing and they had nice voices.

• trimaran12 says:

Point taken. IMO, Phil and Lee were horrible on the show. Phil has been better afterwards, but we are talking about when they were on the show. Kris was ok, but he has an awful falsetto which ruined more than one performance for me. And Scotty was always sounded the same. But regardless of how you feel about each individual, I think the premise is there. Marginal talent + obstacle to overcome + boy-next-door appeal + attractiveness = major success on the show.

• Timmah says:

Agree about P2 and Lee. And at least half of Kris Allen’s performances were awful too. And you can throw Taylor Hicks in there as well. None of them would have gotten anywhere near the finals based solely on talent.

• Mary says:

Your opinion, I disagree. I would say only one of Kris performances was really bad, year he was born. P2 and Lee had some good performances, not my favorite, but I can see why they made the finals. Taylor was entertaining. They might not of been your cup of tea but that does not make them a bad performer.

• Rick says:

P2 had some great performances in Volcano, Begging, and The Stone later on in the season, he was probably my favorite WGWG.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

Yeah they were definitely all way better for sure but the storyline thing, and safe, middle american boy thing, is HUGE all the same.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

“We don’t care that he is out of tune. Scotty? He is fighting to stay country against Lady Gaga and other nefarious persons. We must protect him!” – from what I heard his horror was a joke and not serious and he thought the whole thing was funny afterwards, but the show just makes stories up and shows things in a way to get middle america to feel safe and good; even Lauren who they also wanted to maybe win, they turned into meek little middle american Lauren, look at her interviews and she was so different, so funny, super witty, intelligent. And then they don’t want someone to win and we all so how they played out that edit….

• trimaran12 says:

And when Scotty makes a joke, he is funny and sympathetic. But if Lauren makes a joke, she is immature and silly. And if Haley makes a joke or a silly face, she is stuck-up, or worse.

• Nephtalia says:

The whole concept of American Idol is about voting for the story. It is almost like who would you like to win the lottery. It has never been about vocals. Cause when it comes to vocals there are million out there with great vocals.

• trimaran12 says:

I always thought it was to vote for a potential pop star, an artist you would like to hear on the radio or in concert. When did it become Queen for a Day?

• darcy's evil twin says:

Cool. I’m trying out next season. I have a GREAT story! Oh, Hell, I’m 55 years old.
        Nevermind.

• darcy's evil twin says:

And I called it Queen for a Day several weeks ago!

• Mary says:

I think of it as a singing competition giving the average Joe a chance to succeed. I like when somebody shows an arc, I don’t watch to have professionals get a second chance like the Voice.
        I never look at it as the end all for their career, but a chance to find a place for themselves doing what they love to do. Not everyone will hit it big – it is a crap shoot in today’s music.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Good night, even Carrie Underwood was like watching paint dry, IMO, on Idol and look at her now. But she COULD sing.

29. Timmah says:

Bwahahahah Nigel your attempt to rig the show has failed. Tone deaf moms and grannies will always vote in droves for the cute guy.

• marie says:

Something I’ve observed, both in myself and in my contemporaries: I’m 61. I absolutely DON’T find young boys Lazaro’s age objects of desire AT ALL, and neither do any of my friends my age. (Now, a delectable 40-something like Keith Urban, say…that’s a different story!).
      And as I’ve commented elsewhere, more than a few of us vote with our ears and brains.
      It’s honestly a little insulting to hear this “oh the older ladies are voting for the cute 20-ish guys” stuff over and over.

• MB says:

Marie, I totally agree. I don’t find it funny and it is quite insulting. I would not vote for for a kid young enough to be my grandson just because he is cute. Eew.

• Amy says:

“more than a few of us vote with our ears and brains.”
        Amen.
        I vote for the “cute boys”…when they can sing their guts out!
        And every “mom”, “granny”, and woman of every age I know…has great taste in a variety of music! Heck…most of those “grannies” are from a time when some of music’s finest ruled. So forget insulting the “Idols with sad stories”…let’s lay off the so-called “toned deaf” moms and grannies!!

• darcy's evil twin says:

Thank you, marie! I am 55 and I agree.

• Timmah says:

Trust me, though, there are plenty of them out there. Just because you’re not one of them and neither are your friends, doesn’t refute that.

• Mafs95 says:

Yeah, I totally agree. My mom is 50 and I’m 17, so we are both in either the category of “older ladies / moms” or “teen girls” who are accused to vote for cute guys and sob backstories. Hmmmm… no!
        Actually, I had a girl as a favourite in 8 out of 12 seasons and the only guy my mom wanted to win American Idol was David Cook in Season 7. We don’t care for cuteness or charm in this show. What we appreciate is vocal talent and emotion while they’re singing, not “behind the stage” things or their sob stories.
        It’s true that women are generally more emotional than men, so I agree that sometimes it’s annoying to see 11-12 years old girls saying “I want that guy to win because he’s the cutest thing in the world” or “moms” crying about these people’s backstories and voting based on that. But some men are the same, or even worse.
        My best friend is a guy and he said his favourite American Idol contestant is Pia Toscano because she’s hot. Great!

• Justin says:

He was just in the bottom 3 last week, I don’t get why people are freaking out.

30. LazFan says:

I was rooting for Burnell, but knew he was in danger because of his dull performance and the fact that we’re now getting to the 5 girls. He at least should have had another week. Never once did I think Laz would get top 3. This show has become a joke. They tried to shove the girls down our throats and now it’s bitting them in the you know what. I can’t believe 3/4 judges didn’t have Candace in the top 3. Amber is good, but she’s no Candace. They only picked Amber over Candace because of looks. I have lost all respect for this show. I can’t believe they didn’t use the save on Burnell. It doesn’t matter. Laz will be in the Top 3 again. So, 2 girls will be going home regardless. Maybe 3 or 4. There’s a Laz movement going on and people are rebelling. He was in the bottom 3 last week and now he’s in the Top 3. Well, now I’ve joined the movement. I hope he wins the show and I can’t wait for next week when he mumbles and forgets the lyrics since it’s 2 songs. He has my votes! Seriously, this is ridiculous.

31. Lois Benton says:

Lazaro is the nail in the coffin for this show. No show can be taken seriously when putting someone like him in the live shows. I’ll be very surprised if Idol returns next year. And now that The Voice is directly competing with Idol, Idol seems, in comparison, as bad as The X Factor. Perhaps the show could have survived Lazaro if the audience was able to hear good, fresh songs that don’t get recycled over and over on these shows. But the producers are fools and I would say this show has had it.

32. madgem says:

Vote for the Worst has never really had that much affect on this show, I don’t think, even though they’ve tried. They don’t even need to help this year. America is voting for Lazaro all by themselves with no encouragement or irony. I can’t honestly say I’ll miss Burnell, but if any of those girls are sent home instead of Lazaro next week, I hope he wins. This show deserves it. Stupid show.

33. jaime says:

I’m baffled that L was in the bottom two last week and is top 3 this week? Conspiracy? Was it an official bottom 2 last week?

34. Guitar Blue says:

Each elimination creates a new dynamic in voter favor – Candice will benefit the most from Burnell’s elimination. If any of the girls, with the possible exception of Janelle, should be last next week, the save will be used.

35. Name That Tune says:

I have been following the numbers since the top 10 were announced. One thing that has never varied over on Twitter is the top 4. It has always been Angie Lazaro Kree and Candice. So nothing about this top 3 surprises me. We’re at a point in the season where everyone has decided who their favorite is. It is not going to change. My goal is to vote like mad for Candice until she’s eliminated. If that’s at 4, then so be it. And then I’ll flip to Lazaro because idol should get the winner it deserves – the cute guy.

36. darcy the slutty twin says:

Whatever Lazaro is packing in his pants must be the reason he’s still there.

37. AlyB says:

That was just all wrong. I was equally as flat out angry that only Mariah picked Candice for her list. Every last one of them has said she’s been the best singer. Why wasn’t she on their list? Because she’s not a stick insect? pffffffft I’d like to introduce AI to Adele. Idiots. I can’t even begin to process Lazaro at top 3. I think I’ve crossed into some parallel universe.

38. marie says:

Really? Burt Bachrach next week? Now, look, I happen to think his songs written with Hal David are some of the very best of the 20th Century; I listen to the Dionne Warwick recordings of their songs to this day and they are timeless and superb, BUT…
    Now it’s the 21st Century. And has been for 12 years.
    Please, PLEASE get some new themes these kids can relate to, and stop saddling them with their grandparents’ music!

39. Cheryl Reed says:

GIVE ME A BREAK AMERICA. Lazaro are you totally insane. Stop showing pity and pick the most talented. Keep your head up Burnell you are going places with your awesome voice and talent. I will be the first in line to buy your CD. Judges really all the girls are awesome but Candice should always be in your top three and I totally believe she is gonna be the winner. Go Candice.

40. darcy's evil twin says:

Sweet Baby Jesus! I am in a hotel and when they announced Lazaro as being in the top three I think people three floors up heard me scream, “WHAT????????????????”. i loved Mr. Slezak’s comment about being done with show 4EVA because the next words out of my mouth were, “I AM NEVER WATCHING THIS SHOW AGAIN”. My friend grabbed for the remote to change the channel and I yelled “NO – JUST KIDDING”.
    Loved seeing Casey James again. What a treat. We went to dinner right after Carrie Underwood finished singing and a friend of mine texted me to tell me Burnell got kicked off – and her smartphone changed Lazaro’s name to “Laxative”. No kidding! Hell, he really IS Lazarus after all. He rose from the dead.

41. joelscorp says:

I’m no fan of Lazaro but I’m glad he beat Burnell, who was way overrated. Worse than being bad and getting nailed for it is being weird and mediocre and getting praised for it. And it’s good television, even if bad entertainment. Burnell was simply annoying. Welcome back to Earth; now you can wear all the dumb backwards trucker hats you want. Lazare will sadly beat Janelle but will probably fall to one of the three divas or the high school thespian.

42. sdexta says:

Like everyone else, I am outraged that Lazaro got that many votes. It’s so ridiculous that we have to see him stay while talented people go. In what stretch of any imagination is he better than Candice, Amber, or Janelle? This is all very off-putting.

43. Wipe your tears judges –the whole Lazaro fiasco is your fault!!! You kept him in game long enough for the public to vote! Meanwhile, great singers are sent home at his expense – so stop your cryin!!!

44. sdljroller says:

Lazaro has gotten cocky, defensive, has no vocal power, and forgets his lyrics all the time. Not only that, he doesn’t take responsibility for his screw ups & lets other, more talented people take the fall for him. He also is frequently out of tune. I do not believe he should have been in the top 10, and he should have been the first one gone. At this point, it would serve Idol right if he won it. That would be the end of Idol, and if they keep doing what they’re doing, that may not be a bad thing.

45. Amy says:

Done with Idol for tonight…and this week! (until Idology posts, that is..)
    Going to go catch the part of Nashville I missed last night, On Demand! Nite, Idoloonies~ remember…in 100 yrs. none of this will matter. ;-)

46. Grandma says:

Idol, you’ve lost my viewing! You judges portray a painful act when you have to let a good singer go, but you are not being true to your own selves, and we do see it on your face, that you are enabling. Do your jobs right and make it believable.

47. jane says:

It was hard for me to care about anything after Casey sang in that tight shirt. I believe he has actually gotten more attractive since season 9. Tonight was a showcase in serious producer manipulation. They haven’t revealed the top 3 since the first week of live voting and then Lazaro miraculously is in it? No way! They are hoping his fans think he will be safe and not vote for him next week and get rid of him. I bet what happens is Janelle’s fans will vote and Amber or Candice will get the boot. Lazaro can sing and I actually preferred him over Burnell, but he certainly isn’t better than the girls. Although, I don’t like or get Angie. She had one moment back in Hollywood week, but since then her performances have become more and more annoying. She’s High School Musical good, but would I want to buy her album? No.
    Poor Cree and Candice. They could barely walk to the safety stools. How about next week theme of No shoes at all!

48. MyTake says:

There is no sense to Lazaro being in the top 3 or the top 34732 for that matter and the fact he didn’t go home weeks ago disgusts me and should embarrass him AND the judges for even putting him in the top 20 in the first place. Even he has to realize that whatever he’s getting his votes for (socks in the pants, perceived cuteness to the crazy 14 yr old manic speed voters, the Latin block voting or a combo of all 3) are completely NOT the reason this show exists.. that being to find someone that can actually carry a damn tune which he can’t! His mere presence on the show at this point makes a total mockery of the whole show.

But what gets me even crazier (than probably even Mr. Slezak) is that NONE of the judges put Candace as their #1 pick!! If even the JUDGES don’t value the actual singing ability/amazingness of a contestant there really is no hope for this show. I know that to become a top selling performer that their are other abilities besides just the voice that makes a star, but by damn the VOICE should be right near the top reason. So Amber is young and beautiful she still can’t sing a candle to Candace. Kree has a lovely tone.. she’s still somewhat bland and to me at least lacks the sheer vocal ability of Candace. And Angie is a good singer and as showed when she performed her own material, she’s a great artist but she too can’t pull out the singing ability that Candace possesses.

So it baffles me and angers me that 3 of the 4 judges didn’t even INCLUDE her in their top 3 and Mariah put her at #3.

I guess the industry really is more concerned with looks anymore rather than talent. So sad really.

49. darcy the slutty twin says:

Don’t understand why America is fondling Lazaro.