American Idol Top 7 Results Recap: The Rock Week Horror Picture Show

American-Idol-Top-7-Results-RecapI know there’ve been a lot of criticisms of American Idol Season 12, but none of its results shows up till now have driven me into a homicidal rage. (Okay, Breanna Steer not cracking the Top 10 came pretty close, but we haven’t had a moment where I’ve been on the brink of spouting “THAT’S IT! I’M DONE WITH THIS SHOW 4EVA!” nonsense.)

And I guess that’s why I approached Top 7 Results Night with a mixture of paranoia and dread. Okay, yeah, Lazaro Arbos got saddled with the most ominous lyric from the group performance of Queen’s “Somebody to Love” — “I got no rhythm/ I just keep losing my beat” — but there was a sinking feeling in my gut that reminded me how Jessica Sanchez, Jennifer Hudson and Matt Giraud all (unjustly) received the lowest number of votes at this point in the competition in their respective seasons. Yeah, two of ‘em got the “Judges’ Save” while one of ‘em went on to get the Oscar, but still, the message kept flashing in my brain: You can’t get this far into the competition without bad things happening. Verrrry bad things, in fact.

RELATED | American Idol‘s Ratings Woes: 8 Common-Sense Ways to Salvage Season 12

Of course, it took almost a half hour before Ryan cut to the chase and started getting down to the business of results. But before he’d even had a chance to tell us what the speed-dialing nation had done with its great responsibility, I found myself with that familiar feeling: Fury in my gut, expletives on my tongue, and a “HULK SMASH!” vibe percolating in my nonexistent pecs.

What had me so hopping mad? Idol mentor Jimmy Iovine and three out of four judges naming their personal Top 3 lists and failing to include the season’s most talented, most consistent competitor — Candice Flippin’ Flover Glover (see how angry I am?)

Welcome back, unrelenting anger, my old friend. Shall we cut to the proceedings? Might as well!

JIMMY’S/JUDGES’ PICKS FOR THE TOP 3
JIMMY: Amber, Angie, Kree (but he also loves Candice)
KEITH: Kree, Angie, Amber (did dude forget Angie’s Top 9 and Top 8 performances)
NICKI: Angie, Amber, Kree (ditto!)
RANDY: Amber, Kree, Angie (not that anyone cares what Randy thinks)
MARIAH: Kree, Amber, Candice (well, THANK YOU, Mariah, for being the sole voice of sanity)

VIDEO | Idol‘s Devin Velez on Nicki Minaj Feud and That Infamous Trio! Plus: Bieber & Pink Theme Nights?

Then it was time for actual votes — from America — the ones that count.

AMERICA’S TOP 3 (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER)
Kree Harrison
Angie Miller
That Dude Who Forgot His Lyrics the Past Two Weeks

ALSO SAFE
Candice Glover
Amber Holcomb

BOTTOM TWO
Janelle Arthur
Burnell Taylor

SINGING FOR HIS LIFE
Burnell Taylor: India.Arie’s “Ready for Love” | Burnell sang with great intensity and heart — hitting most of his notes, albeit with a slight case of mushy-mouth. But after his absolutely lame Wednesday cover of “You Give Love a Bad Name,” I’m not sure he’d have scored the save even if he’d levitated up and over the judges table and into the VIP seating where The Mindy Project stars were enjoying some cross-promotional synergy. Nope, the Save carries into next week, and it probably should, just as a final defense against the Lazaro Epidemic.

A few additional thoughts:

* Perhaps Janelle’s Bottom 2 placing is a classic case of vote splitting: Country fans are gravitating to Kree, and she’s the one losing out. Ditto for Amber and Candice, who may be sharing the R&B Diva fan base — and unable to crack the Top 3 as a result. Depressing, but it might explain Lazaro’s Top 3 placing: He’s got the “tone deaf” and “loves cute boys” voting blocs all to himself!

* Listless as that group performance of “Somebody to Love” was, Candice’s final epic solo run made it all worthwhile. Even if she’s destined to finish the season at No. 5 or maybe No. 4, she’s made my first half of 2013 a better place to be.

* Let’s hope Fox releases those Ford “Who’s Your Idol?” photos for sites like TVLine to publish! The Top 7 was lookin’ fly. That said, would you have ever guessed ballad-crazed Burnell would choose someone as edgy as Pharrell Williams as his main inspiration?

* Casey James’ “The Good Life” felt a little hook-free to me, but he won me over with his sheer enthusiasm for being back on the Idol stage with an original track — and his thoughtful personalized gifts for the Top 7.

* Footage from Carrie’s pre-audition farm life never ceases to amaze me. I thought her voice sounded a tad war-torn on new single “See You Again” (and I prefer the monumental “Two Black Cadillacs, persoanlly), but it’s always great to see a reminder of the power this program holds. They really don’t get more powerhouse than The Lady Underwood these days, do they? And her journey started right there on the Idol stage.

I’ll be back shortly to update this post with more info on guest performers and other deets, but until then, it’s your turn. What did you think of Season 12 Top 7 results night? Did the right person go home? And did you dig Carrie Underwood and Casey James? Sound off in the comments, and for all my Idol-related news, recaps, interviews and videos, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Zach says:

Candice Flover? LOL

• Lauri says:

He was so angry he misspelled her name LOL.

• Chrles. says:

I was going kidna crazy too… C’mon, Lazaro in the Top 3? Really? And the fact that only one of the judges had Candice in their top 3 is crazy! The only contestant that every week has been slaying it with her performances… and she’s not in the top 3? What the hell is going on? I… I don’t know what to say, I just hope Lazaro goes home next week.

• Lazaro TOP 3 was terrible. I don’t’ understand it. He is dreadful compared to the rest. They obviously showed the judges’ Top 3 because they knew it would be shocking to see that Lazaro was Top 3. Candice and Amber and Janelle deserve better. It’s not terrible that Burnell is going, especially given his sub par outing this week, and last week, but he deserved another week over Lazaro. Too bad. Lazaro being the only male left in this competition is laughable.

• America Stinks says:

LAZARO IN TOP 3? Hahahahaha, America is trying to prove my point, the show stinks! This is the fault of the 4 judges for putting him in the top ten. America does not vote based on talent, the people are still immature and still vote based on pity. Poor judges, too late to realize that. And poor Lazaro, his career will be funny, letting him expect something that won’t happen.

• Lee says:

Well, now that the judges know that it doesn’t matter what they say about Lazaro’s performances-be it positive or negative–they may as well just be honest and call him out when he gives terrible performances as he has for the past few weeks.

I thought the Top 3 was based on this past week’s performances–not in general. I figured that’s why Candice’s name was on the list. BTW Candice sure didn’t look happy when she saw her name wasn’t on 4 of 5 lists (judges + Jimmy).

I’m glad I DVR AI. I save a lot of time. Enough said.

I thought Amber should’ve been in the Bottom 2 with Lazaro instead of Janelle At least Janelle sang an uptempo song unlike Amber who put me to sleep with her performance.

Is it Monday yet?

• Kevin says:

And you can tell that the judges and contestants were so annoyed by Lazaro being in the top 3. Especially Candice. They all knew that they deserved to be there over him

• BIO says:

Watching the show last night and the off the wall ranking of top 3 no wonder this show is in the gutter. The only one that can not carry a tune in a bucket coming in at #3 give us a break. Watch him when ever he notices the camera on him strike a pose and a fake smile to much!! American idol should be pulled off the air so something else like another stupid reality crap can be forced down our throats YUK!!!

• Angryasheck says:

See how Vote For the Worst website is gloating and congratulating themselves for Lazaro’s placing

• Lili says:

If you guys thought Lazaro was a bottom… Well, it seems like he’s a top.

• Gailer says:

I hope Lazaro wins this trainwreck of a season. Then we will get change. lol

• Chris says:

I understand your anger but why would you want Angie, Candice, Kree, Janele, or Amber to lose out on something they deserve?

• NJ idoloonie says:

For someone who forgets the lyrics in his duets, didja notice LAZARO singing along with Burnell during his exit song?!!!!! he just may be some evil genius who knows how to work the AI voting system!
          (plus i think the 50 vote on FAcebook rule is skewing the vote)

• Blank Slate says:

I think Lazaro may be a pathological liar as well, claiming he didn’t know a song while Jimmy Iovine tells the camera Lazaro had been rehearsing that song days before. It’s quite troubling to witness this farce but AI seems to be under the spell of the phrase: “You live by the sword, you die by the sword.” To me, for me, for you. I’m not in it to win it anymore. The show stabbed itself in the back. The party’s over.

• deedee says:

Weren’t they just naming their top 3 for Rock week, and not the whole competition?

• Eli says:

Well, at least 2 out of 4 judges specifically mentioned the whole season in their commentary on their top 3 ranking.

• deedee says:

I actually missed that segment (had to walk the dog), so I don’t know what exactly was said by all. But I did see Jimmy, and when he gave his critiques and placements, he was referring to last night’s performances only.

• dj says:

It wasn’t their favorites for rock week, it was their favorites for the whole competition. That’s why it was so mind-boggling that three of them left Candice off the list.

• SG says:

The judges are trying to pimp Amber coz she is the easiest to sell of them all…Yet still “Lazaro” will win! Producers & judges tried to milk his story for ratings & it’s coming back to haunt them! Ratings are down like it never was & interscope won’t sign him if he wins..unless not as a singer!

• Name That Tune says:

And Jimmy Iovine is having nightmares about having to sign Lazaro, the least commercial of all of them. Get ready for the auto tune.

• rio says:

I suspect the whole point of showing us that Candice came in 4th was to energize her voters. Lazaro’s making the top 3 guaranteed that the judges would keep the save for one of the girls next week. Candice has always been the most talented–and my favorite–but I never expected her to win. She’s only 23, but she comes across as older than all of them. And while there’s all this talk about not having a female winner in years, how long has it been since a person of color won? Does that say anything about AI’s voting base?

• Gj says:

It is absurd to keep playing the color card. Yes, America’s vote sucks sometimes but don’t tell me Lazaro gets votes for being white or for not being black. Stop that stupid crusade of the WBWG. Divas, or guys who sing teathrically like they belonged to broadway (most of them happened to have been black in AI), will not win because they become annoying, not because of their color, but because them being drama queens.

By the way, despite the article’s author and commentators’ perception, the top 3 from the judges yesterday was only based on Wednesday’s performance.

• gazebo says:

It’s been the same amount of time – the last female winner was Jordin Sparks.

• Jamie Simone says:

I think the judges know how America is voting and Angela and Kree are probably consistently in the top. Candice and Amber are probably splitting votes and they are maybe in the middle near the bottom. So they know that only one has a chance to be in the top 3 and they like Amber better. My guess!

• Julia says:

OMG, I just had a thought. What if he wins? AI as a viable TV show would be a goner.

• not says:

Sorry to be a conspiracy theorist, but I think they manufactured the Candace-free top 3 lists in order to shock voters into backing her. It makes no sense that only Mariah recognizes Candace belongs at or near the top of the list. Candace did not place in the top three this week, though, so obviously she isn’t getting the votes. I think Nigel et al. think she is vulnerable and want to prod voters.

• Chrles. says:

I know this might not be true, but as I saw the results tonight, I can see the producers arranging this whole situation to gain some ratings, keeping Lazaro, a controversial contestant! I predict next week a girl will leave (the producers might choose any of them! ), and use the safe, because If they don’t the show would end a week earlier…

• deedee says:

And what if Lazaro gets eliminated next week – do they use the save on him? They should have saved Burnell tonight because if Lazaro gets voted off next week they will have no choice but to save him (if they want to keep the total number of weeks scheduled for this season). Now, how is it going to look if the judges save Lazaro when they didn’t bother saving much better singers in past weeks?
        Oh, who am I kidding. Lazaro won’t be kicked off next week when we have dispensable singers like Candice Glover around! :-|

• deedee says:

ETA: I reread your post. They can avoid saving Lazaro (if he’s bottom vote getter) by making it look like a girl was voted off. Right, that would work. I guess it’ll be Janelle or Amber singing for their life next week.

• Chris says:

It’s illegal to play around with the results.

• deedee says:

It’s not illegal to mess with placement – many fans suspect they do it all the time. As long as they don’t explicitly say: “this contestant has the lowest number of votes”, they can get away with it.
            They can say, “Lazaro and *insert name of girl contestant* are your bottom 2. Who will be singing for their life? Girl contestant!” … and then she sings and they save her.

• Mary says:

They do not have to use the save, if by some miracle Lazaro is in the bottom next week, they will just let him go. I think they showed the ratings to get people to start voting, 25 million at this stage is not good.

• niamhcat says:

Especially bad considering that people have 50 votes apiece instead of the previous 10. Do the math and you can see that ratings are dismal.

• td says:

The show won’t end any sooner or later if the judges use the save or not. If they use the save, then two people are eliminated the next week–that’s how it’s always worked. The date of the finale is already set in stone.

• Chris says:

But the problem is that they don’t have enough contestants to fill the remaining episodes without using the save unless they have a week where no one goes home.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

They have done that before. On Idol gives back didn’t they once say something like and in this spirit we have a surprise result: everyone is safe! something like that

• deedee says:

Yeah, I think that was season 6. If I’m not mistaken, though, 2 people went home the next week.

• Erin says:

I have to respectfully disagree about keeping Lazaro as a ratings getter. If anything, the name of this show was “America Please Stop Voting for Lazaro!” by having all judges and Jimmy give top 3 on the big smart board, Jimmy calling out Lazaro to go home, and then the big reveal that not only is he safe but *gasp* is in the sacred top 3. It’s not Lazaro’s fault people are voting, but he’s up there practically expected to apologize for it. I’m not a fan of his, but I hate the producer manipulation.

• JLC says:

The show would not end a week earlier. When they use the save, the following week 2 people go home. The show is the same length regardless of the save.

• ChrissieK says:

The show won’t end a week earlier…when the “save” is used the following week TWO will go home.

• Jay says:

Last year when the save was used on Jessica only one person was eliminated…Colton. It will probably be the same this week. The save will be used on a girl (Either Amber, Candice or Janelle) and someone possibly Lazaro will get the boot next week to make it an all girl Top 5.

• Tobius says:

Someone needs to sit slezak down and explain to him that Candice Glover is not an Idol. She is a very talented singer, but there is nothing aspirational about her. She does not have a sob backstory, she is not charming, she wears a glower on her face at all times, she is impossible to connect with on any emotional level because she has no arc. She is performing at the same level each night, its all very well done, but that became boring two weeks ago.

outside of her vocal, there is nothing to set her apart. She is old (or comes across as a middle age woman if she isn’t actually one), portly, accurate and unapproachable. Those are not qualities of an Idol.

She will not win. Its not the show for her to do so. Candice’s mistake was going on Idol and not The Voice. She is in a children’s and teen’s show (see Lazaro, Tim Urban and Scotty McCreepy) run by two senior citizens. She made a mistake thinking she was an Idol, when all she is, is a singer.

• PepperJo says:

Have to agree. Yes, Candice does have a phenominal voice (hence, she should have gone on The Voice), but she is not an idol. She doesn’t have the personality, countenance, entertainer factor or a real connection with the audience to be an “idol,” just a really, really good singer.

• LeahKittyS says:

I wish Candice’s Twitter personality came out more on camera, because she (like the rest of this cast, really) is really a kid in a grown woman’s body. She watches Spongebob, she listens to the music my high school friends listen to, she’s even planned out her wedding to Drake the way my sister’s planned out her wedding to Justin Bieber. She and the rest sound like fun people to hang out with; it’s too bad most of America has no idea.

• deedee says:

I totally disagree with you, PepperJo. Carrie was called Farmbot in her day because people thought she had no personality or ability work the stage. She certainly didn’t connect with me during season 4 because I found her kind of dull compared to some of her co-contestants that year.

• dj says:

That’s absolutely true. Carrie was a farmbot, but, like Candice, she has the voice. Stage presence can be improved with time and experience, but you have to have the voice.

• forrest says:

……..so judges (and Michael’s) favorite Candice is the lowest vote getter next week; the save will be used by the judges only for her to be eliminated 3 weeks from now (after an ‘oh no not Candice! bounceback week); she has a career equal to or better than Jennifer Hudson. Just sayin’.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

Yeah I seem to recall that she actually was quite dull and robotic a lot of that season although I think she had a great moment with a Heart song from what I vaguely recall. She sang clinically well but was kinda like a robot when it came to emotion much of the time and it wasn’t until post-Idol that she developed any stage presence, from what I vaguely recall. I think Candice is probably actually ahead of her in that department, if anything.

• Mercy Wright says:

The reason why four out of the five judges didn’t include Candice in their top threes was because they judged her on the performance she gave the night before – which never went beyond perfunctory. You notice they didn’t include Janelle either – she was fairly blah as well.

• Eli says:

No they didn’t, listen to their commentaries again, 2 of them specifically mention they looked at what came before.

• jalahyacinth says:

I heartily agree. She would do MUCH better on The Voice. She has a lot of talent but not the right personality or stage presence for this show.

• James A says:

Agree 100 percent. She reminds me of Doolittle singing wise…but as we all know Doolittle has personality!

• You guys are funny. Without Xtina as a coach, she wouldn’t have made it through the Blind Auditions on the Voice. The Voice wants authenticity, which none of the Idol’s have because they don’t let them have their own style. But beyond that, she isn’t very nice and talks about punching people.

• Name That Tune says:

When someone writes something like this, I wonder if they have been living in a cave. Have they never heard of Adele?
        Look, I accept that Idol is really a beauty contest. The beauty that has been winning lately is the cute guy. In season 6 Jordin was more pleasing to the eye than Melinda or Lakisha Jones. So of course 3 of 4 judges on the panel are only looking at the surface and the one judge with the real knowledge of what it takes to be commercially successful as female pop singer picks Candice. The 3 singers that Nikki Keith and Randy named have left me flat and feeling bored the entire season. But one of them will be in the finale with Lazaro. And Lazaro has a decent chance at winning. So bring it on. I am prepared to assist Lazaro to victory.

• Chris says:

You just confirmed what I said to my husband last night. Candice wasn’t in the judges’ top three because she’s overweight. She’s 23. When did that become old?

• Wooddieee says:

Thats not it at all, and you’ve fixated on weight due to reasons of your own. Ruben Studdard had no problem getting past the weight issue because he came across as downright loveable. His face & eyes had joy in them at all times. He developed as a singer in front of our eyes. He had a journey. These are things that Candice lacks and it hurts her despite that she is one of the best singer’s Idol has ever had.

23 is not old, but if you have a variable range of perceived ages, and you act like someone at the top of that range, you will appear much older than 23, especially when lined up against some of the teenest teens to ever teen.

• macy says:

Oh, do you know this Chris to whom you’ve replied? Since you and he/she seemingly have had deep conversations about his/her alleged issues with weight?

Why you would flip that around and put that back on Chris is beyond me.

• MB says:

It isn’t the weight. Kree is not stick thin and she is a favorite with all the judges and is always in the top 3. It is the whole demeanor and how one one comes across..

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

Candice is still a couple years younger than perhaps the all-time most successful female pop singer was when she became well known.

• Miss O'Ginny says:

“Wears a glower on her face at all times…..” This be truth personified. Hey, maybe we should all start calling her Candace Glower!

• Ramification says:

Please look at the photo of Candice at the top of this article for proof that she does not wear a glower on her face at all times. Girl has a hurt toe and is in pain give her a frikking break!!!

• 5talentgirl says:

I disagree on all counts. Sorry, except for one…she is a very talented singer…the rest is merely biased, opinionated, harsh conjecture. What do you know? Nothing.

• Eyezee says:

What a bunch of CRAP if I ever heard one. An American Idol should be able to SING. That should be the principle requirement, the sob story follows. Lazaro has overcome a lot and I am happy for him but in a SINGING competition he is the weakest link. You took all this time to say this nonsense about Candice? Really? And there are people who agree with you? No wonder most of the winners on this show do not amount to anything; because the voting audience do not vote on singing ability.

• HK BRANDYWINNE says:

They have not used the save yet this season because there is nothing to save. LISTEN to the VOICE wow what a difference. IDOL you suck at picking singers Underwood not that great either sorry JESUS TAKE THE WHEEL what WHEEL the ones turning in the writers head.

2. Amy says:

Just posted on wrong thread so I’m repeating:

Seriously..I’m p*ssed. Really?…re: Lazaro? This is the least credible Idol year because of the Lazaro factor. Nothing against the guy personally, whatever blah blah blah…but truly, let’s get real! He does not have the singing talent nor the ability to have a viable recording/performing career that this show is a platform for. If he proves me wrong I’ll eat my t.v. set.
    Poor Burnell. Another casualty to the Laz show. No wonder Candice cried. Also, noticeable is how no one ever goes up to Lazaro for “hugs” after elimination…not a surprise.
    Really sorry to see these results tonight. We’re gonna have a Top 3 that includes Ricky Ricardo by way of Elvis poses. Great.

• Melissa says:

I agree with you. I am so pissed right now. These people voting for Lazaro out of pity are idiots. There are messing with the others right to continue on. Burnell should have never left before him. I was surprised the judges didn’t save him, although they have to save it for next week when one of the girls get voted off. I personally think Lazaro has turned into a snob and I also find it interesting how sometimes he doesn’t stutter at all, considering how badly he plays it when he talking alone on the stage. I don’t like his personality and you people have to stop this crap trying to prove some damn point by voting for him. He cannot sing well at all. There is absolutely no excuse for this.

• deedee says:

I was heartbroken for Burnell tonight. His sing-out was so touching and sad. I have nothing personally against Lazaro either, but week after week of this is wearing me down and I find myself resenting him. This is, of course, ridiculous because he’s not doing anything wrong except under-performing. But to have him in the top 3 tonight was like a double affront to Burnell. This season keeps going from one disappointment to the next.

• Norman with a Z says:

I think the reason no one hugs Laz is because he’s drenched in sweat!

3. Dan says:

I literally wanted to destroy my TV! Lazaro and top 3 should NEVER be in the same sentence, unless there is a not in the middle! Seriously America? Seriously?!

• Dan says:

Also, Lazaro is going to have to perform a solo twice next week! He will forget all his lyrics!

• forrest says:

Obviously, forgetting your lyrics doesn’t matter to the Lazaro fanbase. Lazaro for the win this season just to end any credibility this show currently has. Will Nigel let this happen? Is this a ratings headline of the season????

• Dan says:

I really need to see my therapist.

4. Mike says:

I would laugh for days if Lazaro was last next week and they saved him. They have to use it next week or the show would end a week early.

• Jen says:

omg I cannot IMAGINE they would save him no matter what. He’s just so awful.

• Amy says:

omg. trainwreck.

• Terri says:

Don’t 2 people go home the following week if they use the save? Whether they use it or not, I think they’ll stay on track, as 2 people go home within 2 weeks.

• Mary says:

No there is an extra week in there. No way will the judges save him, but the way we are going he might win. America April fools is over with.

• Bob Timms says:

No. They would just not use the save and then do a non elimination night top 5 or 4.

• CAS says:

Yeah….they would figure out some way to manipulate it. Remember the “Idol Gives Back” year when they had a week with no eliminations and then did two the next week?

• Waynee says:

Older woman here. One with a forgiving heart. AND one who would NEVER vote for Lazaro, by the way. I’m too busy wondering about the future of our country if all of its citizens ARE voting for this self-pitying, tone-deaf, Ricky Ricardo wannabe! Okay, he’s got a great story and he’s cute and all that, but he doesn’t belong on the stage with the talented singers. My guy Burnell had to go home tonight when it should have been you-know-who. I would have enjoyed another week or two of hearing Burnell entertain me. As for the top girl, Candice!! Yes, the judges are all into something I don’t understand. Kree is my other pick. I think there was a roar heard all across America when Ryan announced Lazaro as one of the top three tonight. I just don’t get it. It’s not all older women, though!

• Ed says:

Lazarus is NOT cute and he does NOT have a “great story”. He is just an annoying little pissant. End of story.

• marie says:

THANK YOU, Waynee! Glad I’m not the only older woman here speaking up to make that point: don’t lay the blame for Lazaro on US!

• Ted Sutton says:

That business about having to use the save or the show will end a week early is not correct. You are not remembering how it works after the save. The next week there is a double elimination!
      Check past seasons. That is the way it works.

• Kail says:

Well a double elimination happened in Season 10 after Casey got saved and the next week Naima and Pia went home, but last season, after Jessica got saved, Colton was the only one eliminated the following week and that season never had a double elimination.

• Sampson says:

Ah, but if you’ll recall, there WAS a double elimination last season, it just didn’t happen after the Save was used because it wasn’t necessary to keep things on track at that point. Earlier that season (March 15), one finalist was disqualified (Jermaine) and another was sent home as the lowest vote-getter (Shannon) the same week.

• Chris says:

They have six episodes left so they have to save someone or have a week with no eliminations to get to may 15th. They can change the rules from year to year.

• If they don’t use their save next week, the show will NOT end a week early. If you remember, whenever a save is used, the following week TWO people get sent home. It has always been this way.

• Kathleen says:

Mike – that is not true that the show would have to end a week early if the save is used. When a save is used, *two* people go home the following week. Thus, the schedule of the show is not affected at all.

• Meme says:

If Laz is at the bottom next week, they will not save him … but I doubt that he’ll be at the bottom. If he keeps sticking around, AI’s credibility I fear is doomed!

5. Jacob P. says:

I’ve never been this angry at an American Idol results show. Why Lazaro? AHHHH D:<

6. I wouldn’t have been as mad if Lazaro was in the B2 and managed to escape elimination once again. But TOP THREE? That’s just beyond insane.

• deedee says:

Yeah, that’s probably why they went through the exercise of having the judges name their top 3 – to make it even more jarring when Lazaro was announced. They’re really milking this for every last drop, aren’t they.

7. Hugo says:

Lazaro over Burnell? Lazaro on top 3? Uncle Nigel, time to do something about it!!

• MariMari says:

They need to introduce a judges’ CUT.

• ggdub says:

This.^

• deedee says:

OMG, what a great idea! If they had a “save and cut” option, they could save an eliminated contestant, and cut the one they all think deserves to go. That’s genius!

• Wooddieee says:

It introduces too much negativity. Coke would never allow it. They specifically want their brand associated with times of joy and good feelings.

While I like your idea, it would leave the viewer with emotions that cannot be reconciled with the “I should vote more” justification.

• marie says:

Nope. As much as I’d like to see Lazaro gone, that would make Idol too much like The Voice, which I stopped watching because there’s entirely too much coach/producer control of the results at the expense of the viewers. If Lazaro appeals to that many of the viewers, then he’ll stick around and may even win. And I’ll never have to hear him again because I won’t be buying his records.

8. Marlex says:

As bad as Idol voting has been in the past, the idea of Lazaro of not only not being in the bottom ONE, but in the top three?!? Insanity. Utter, freaking insanity.

My top three is Candance, Kree and Angie… with Janelle and Amber right there.

• MB says:

Candace and Angie are always in my top 3 but different weeks one of the other girls are in there completing my top 3. For some reason Angie is my favorite but even I admit Candace is the most consistent. I just prefer Angie’s music more.

• Nephtalia says:

Yeah, I love Angie more and enjoy Amber youth and underdog status. But, everyone knows Candice should be in the top 3 at least.

• Chrles. says:

In my case, Kree and Candice are the ones who always make my top 3, I agree Angela is good, she kinda is a “Colton Dixon” way of singer, however there are times I haven’t like her at all, like these past two weeks. Anyways, the top 3 should def be Kree, Candice and Angela… Can’t get over the fact Lazaro took Candice’s place up there!

• Meme says:

Has anyone really “listened” to Amber’s voice … consistent, beautiful tone, effortless range … both Angie and Candace are out of her league.

• Name That Tune says:

Yes we’ve listened. But she has played the Whitney wannabe card once too often. She bores the heck out of me. She has chosen the kinds of songs that I expect to hear on my local easy listening station. And now they told us she likes to take “selfies”. What kind of budding little narcissist have we got growing here?
          She’s a couple of years away from understanding her craft and that’s only if she puts the camera down and learns how to sell her lyrics.
          She is 4th on my list. Angie does a more believable job of hitting the emotions behind the lyrics.

• JT says:

she’s a teenaged girl, they like to take selfies. it doesn’t make her a “budding narcissist”

• Trouty Mouth says:

Candice’s voice and sound is stronger and more edgy than Amber. Candice is a current R&B artist. Amber is a boring pageant singer with a good voice.

9. Jen says:

Typo Michael you wrote Candice Flover. She looked really surprised and upset, um…yes I too was shocked by the top 3 but really, until they change the voting system we can expect stuff like this. Now I won’t be surprised if he wins. Thank God I will be out of the country then and can’t watch the finale.

• ejones says:

Its not just the voting system, its voter fatigue. When these reality singing contests first appeared then the best singer-performer usually won, now the singing has become less and less important, Idol demonstrated this strongly with the past 2 winners, both had won the show before the live shows had even started and neither exactly blew the competition away in the live shows. Phillips had some absolutely shocking performances that went unpunished, McCreary specialised in a dreary performance more often than not which also went unpunished. This year everything is pointing to an Angie win even though she’s been struggling in the live shows.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

I think the last few seasons also drove away a lot of the voters who may have voted in somewhat different fashion too. They tried to get help a girl win this time to get some of them back, and show that a different sort could win, and they MAY accomplish that (unless Lazaro was #1 or #2 tonight??) but it seems like it’ll take a while to bring any back, won’t happen at all until at least into next season, unless it backfires and it just means Lazaro wins or makes the finale and then they were simply too late and shouldn’t have pulled all the manipualtions so much the last few seasons leading in.

• The Beach says:

You are right in everything you said. But unless they do something to the format and get rid of those stupid themes and become more current they will not only never bring in the younger demographic they keep hoping for but risk losing their previously loyal fan base (like me) that is tired of and bored with hearing the same songs year after year.

• Ted Sutton says:

Hey ejones…Are aware the Scotty’s CD went platinum, and Phil Phillips CD went triple platinum? If their performances were so shocking and dreary how did they sell so many records? Could it be that you just don’t know what you are talking about? Could it be that you don’t understand the music business?

• ejones says:

Ted, its not difficult to understand the music business, their platinums does it for me quite nicely. Rihanna beforehand has proved that being able to sing well is not a requirement any more. Can you honestly say that Scotty and PP were the best of their seasons, they got their popularity during the heats, carried it through to the finals and have carried it through to their 1st CDs. Oh and I should mention the non talents called One Direction that are sweeping all before them these days, they really do sum up today’s music business..

10. dj says:

Un.be.lievable.

11. Christina says:

Lazaro in the top 3 is a joke just like the rest of this season. Rumour is next week’s theme is Burt Bacharach, seriously

• The Beach says:

That’s funny…but please tell me you’re joking…please.

• Teeny Bikini says:

The show is now officially ridiculous. Lazaro is in the Top 3! The fact that they didn’t list the exact order makes me think he is in the Top 2 or even number 1. Wow. I think I’ll have to stop watching until he’s voted out… Next.

• deedee says:

LOL, I LOVE Burt Bacharach! Some of the best songs ever written! Yes, it’s not current, but it’s great stuff, and I’m excited for it … loud and proud!

• Trouty Mouth says:

Agreed. Now I’m even more pissed about Lazarus sticking around and screwing up some of my favourite songs.

• marie says:

No argument at all re the quality of the material; I agree that they wrote some of the best songs of the mid-20th Century.
        BUT, this theme is more of the same-old, same old: it’s been done before (don’t ask me which season; I’m no good at remembering things like that). Plus, would it kill the producers to give these kids a chance to sing some songs they already know and like? I guess it would!
        And, I’d bet we’re not even going to hear the best Bacharach-David songs: the earlier songs recorded by Dionne Warwick, like Anyone Who Had a Heart, and Looking with My Eyes, and Walk on By, and Are You There (With Another Girl). Those were pretty complex, and intriguing to listen to as a result, with unexpected chord changes and tricky (but beautiful) melodies. Nope, we’ll hear the later, more well-known, poppier stuff, which, to my ears is less interesting: songs like Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head and Alfie.
        None of which matters, of course, because the contestants won’t know ANY of them!

• deedee says:

I don’t think they ever did a Bacharach-David theme week. They did do a fantastic medley in the season 5 finale, which is one of the reasons why that finale is my favourite of all the seasons.
          One of my faves is “This Guy’s In Love With You”, but Lazaro is the only one left who can sing it :-/ . Bets on who takes “I Say a Little Prayer” – Candice or Amber?

12. marie says:

NO!!! NO!!!!! NOOOOO!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
    (Hint: I’m not referring to Burnell’s ouster. I’ll be back later, if I can compose myself.)

13. Laura says:

Burnell was my 2nd favorite this season after Candice…and I am SO PISSED that Lazaro is still on (in the top fricken 3) and my buttery toned “adorm” beauty from Louisiana is gone. Sad day in my house. Sad day.

• Sandy says:

Burnell was also my 2nd favorite behind Candice but if I’m being objective, I’d say Candice, Kree and Angie/Amber are the top 3 singers. I had a feeling Burnell wouldn’t rebound from singing first and having an off night, but I was hoping he wouldn’t have the lowest votes. Any of my other favorites would have gotten The Save for sure. Also, I’m shocked that all 4 judges had Amber in their top 3. I think she’s definitely one of the strongest vocalists, but I don’t think she’s consistently getting more votes than Candice. I could be wrong though. And finally, I agree with the general consensus that Lazaro is the weakest singer and should have been nowhere near top 3. I just hate to see people take their frustrations out on him personally. He didn’t do anything wrong.

• Teeny Bikini says:

I don’t think it’s personal. It is a fact that he is the least technically adept singer left in the competition. But clearly, somebody likes him. So he is getting the last laugh indeed. And unfortunately. I don’t think he’s going anywhere soon.

• sg54 says:

There was literally days where I would listen to Burnell all day. He is an amazing singer and a HUGE inspiration, and the contestants obviously felt the same about him. Why does he leave while Lazar stays? :'(

• Trouty Mouth says:

Burnell is the only one that I adorm, how I wish that he werm mine…

Just kidding.

He was my favourite out of the guys though. I wanted him in top 4 even though the judges are pimping Angie who I don’t like and Janelle who I’m still kind of indifferent to.

It’s irritating that he’s been beaten by a kid who can’t sing and is there because people have pity for him.

14. Stacey says:

Candice wasn’t in the top 3. Because it wasn’t her week. Her song choice didn’t fit. She was still safe, unless Janelle who was superior to Lazaro, so the unjust not there on Candice’s behalf. Lazaro is a mystery. The cute factor. Since obviously the woman are sticking around thanks to the voters. The cute factor has to come in somewhere, and it’s the sympathy vote plus Lazaro botched his duet but got his solo number halfway decent. Shows the duets don’t take you all the way unless you’re Burell who didn’t do either well enough… JANELLE should not have gone home. I hope they would have used the save if she had gone home. But they need to keep the save in play since Lazaro is still around…

• Teeny Bikini says:

I also think Candace videos weren’t as flattering as some of the others. Kree’s video was that she likes to hug people. Candace’s video is that she fights with Burnell. There is a huge difference in perception? She really has to be careful how she comes off to voters – they will turn on her in a second if she “appears” cocky or entitled or mean. This is not just a singing show. You have to be likeable and relatable as well to win.

• Kathleen says:

THIS!!!!!! I completely agree with you, Teeny. People tend to vote for the most “likeable” person and not always the best voice. I have to say that often Candice tends to come off as arrogant and aloof. While I certainly agree that Lazaro is not the best singer in the competition (understatement), he doesn’t come off as unlikeable. I have not voted for him, but there is a quality about him that makes people want to champion him. “American Idol”, unfortunately, does not always equal best singer (hence, the name of the show is not “The Voice” or “America’s Best Singer”. I think this “likeability/personality” issue may be part of Amber’s ups and downs in the voting. We didn’t get to “know” her as much throughout the auditions, and I don’t really feel a connection with her, even though she has an amazing voice. On the flip side, what I learned about Kree, DEFINITELY makes me like her more. It is a special person who takes their time in getting to know others and being thoughtful. Having a great voice coupled with being a wonderful person — well, in my mind, that makes for a perfect American Idol.

• Nephtalia says:

I agree Kathleen. The name of the show is American Idol. You have to like, more ‘love’ your Idol. And Candice while I know she deserved to be in the top 3 does not have Kree likability. Sad for Idolonie fan

15. girlinmd says:

What is going on? How does Lazaro keep getting by if any girl goes home over him I will turn off idol forever!

16. Ilaria says:

I would say the most horrific thing of the night was that Lazaro was in the top 3. I think there is a good chance of a shock elimination next week. Ugh…

17. Callitags says:

Really dug Casey’s song. Thinking about picking that one up. He’s sounding good.

18. Brian says:

Jimmy and the judges top three were just for this week…not overall.

• Atlgal2013 says:

If that we’re the case I would be fine BUT Nicki in particular made a point of stating how big “these three girls would be in the industry, they are girls girls”. Ugh as if Candice isn’t a girls girl or doesn’t have the possibility to be huge in the industry? Nicki be gone…

• deedee says:

That’s what I figured, too. And the only reason they did that “who’s in your top 3″ bit was for the moment of *shock* when Lazaro’s name was called for top 3. Typical Idol shenanigans.

• Matt says:

No, Keith talked about all of the performances they’ve done, and Nicki talked about the albums they’d make. If it was just about this week, why would they go into that?

19. Amy says:

Well Michael, in response to your tweet…I dunno what Melinda’s doing but I sure dropped a few expletives….and I’m not done! What a joke.

20. Billy says:

I blame Nigel for Lazaro being in the top 3 if he hadn’t given him that poor me I don’t know any of the songs and have a stutter so I can communicate edit during Hollywood week we wouldn’t have this problem. People wouldn’t feel as sorry for him and we won’t have to suffer through a couple more weeks of his cringe worthy performances….Also I’m happy Angie is in the top 3 this week because she’s my favorite this year!

• Teeny Bikini says:

Lazaro should have never made it through this far… Nigel’s plan is backfiring big time.

• deedee says:

Oh, I dunno. I think Nigel’s enjoying this. Look how much we’re talking about it!

• Teeny Bikini says:

So true, deedee. So true.

• Wooddieee says:

Riling up the hardcore fanbase that will watch Idol even if it were mostly test patterns and the sound of pots and pans clanging together is not Nigel’s goal.

He wants a mainstream Adam vs Kris-type battle that draws in the mainstream media and brings non-diehards to the table through an easy to understand narrative. He tried to nake this year’s narrative the story of strong women finally reaching the summit, but that never caught on, the storyline instead was the absence of strong males. This current bit of Lazaro buzz is not a success, just look at the ratings, historic lows each and every week.

I have confidence that Nigel knows his goose is cooked and finishing the season the way he knows how, with stodgy stuff like Burt Baccharah (sp?) because he is wealthy enough that he does not have to change his style and lose his dignity in the face of failure.

Whats more, is that this current decision to stay the course was likely made a month or two ago when FOX’s intensive market research determined that bad times were ahead with the belly flop of Nicky vs. Mariah after their feud fizzled into nothingness.

• Larc says:

Buzz doesn’t mean much if it doesn’t bring in viewers. I think all the Lazaro talk will only convince people they don’t want to bother with Idol.

• forrest says:

Regardless of who wins this season, this will be Lazaro’s season as a label. Just like Sanjiyah.

21. I was crying tears of laughter and disbelief over Laz being in the Top 3. I knew he would be the last guy standing (as unjust as it is).

Was the Judges’ Top 3 their Top 3 of the season, or of the week? And what’s with this sudden turn against Candice?!

I guess we should start preparing for a Kree vs. Angie finale. I’ll place my bets on Kree.

• Teeny Bikini says:

Ah, so you too have noticed the turn against Candace. Her video editing took a sharp turn last week. The prank about the house fire.. not funny. Some of the other stuff she said about other contestants in their videos… kinda snotty. And her entire video was dedicated to picking on Burnell and not in a cutesy way, when others had such adorable videos. My theory is that they need a winner that is uber marketable and they can’t quite figure how they will sell her records. Of the girls, she might be the most talented with the least apparent sales niche. This is about money.

• Yeah, I can see how personality edit can be a factor. Personally, I thought that seeing how she is off-stage made her more relateable and endearing to me. It’s sad because if Candice was a guy (Phillip comes to mind), it wouldn’t be a problem…

• Teeny Bikini says:

I love her personality, but I am cranky and jaded :) Edits can make or break a contestant. I hope I am wrong, but everything is calculated with Nigel so we will see.

• The Beach says:

I thought the same thing about Candice’s edit this week. Everyone else came across as young and funny or sweet and motherly. Candice came off as older, a bit more standoffish and with a more biting sense of humor. Editing can influence a voting audience greatly.

• marie says:

Drat, I think you’re on to something here, Teeny. Phooey.

• Anna says:

I completely agree with you. I feel like Candice is more of a singer than an idol, though she is still amazingly amazing (what?). I’ll place my bets on Kree too since Janelle’s voters will most likely go to Kree since they’re both country singers. Although, Angie has the biggest fanbase this season. I love Kree and Angie and I’ll be happy if either of them won. The top four will surely be Angie, Amber, Candice, and Kree.

• Angie definitely has the most visible fanbase, so if we’re going by past trends in Idol winners, I can surely see Angie being the Adam to Kree’s Kris. I wouldn’t mind seeing any of the girls in the Top 2 though!

• Owen says:

And oddly, Angie, of all the girls, has the least talent.

• Tim says:

plus she seems right out of mean girls to me. idk. fake, judgemental, none to bright. I can’t get behind her at all.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

??? Tell us ONE thing you’ve seen to demonstrate that. Just because she has the look that could let her be a mean girl doesn’t mean that she is come on. Nothing they have shown demonstrates that at all. She is always reaching out her hand to comfort someone during elims, they said she was a theater crowd kid, etc.

• Tim says:

^hey man, that’s just the vibe I get from her. idk. she just comes across to me as very self righteous and it’s not attractive. imo.

22. darcy the slutty twin says:

Casey still bores me. He needs to take his shirt off again. Preferably his pants too.

23. Leah Hoffman says:

I’m SO angry about Lazaro. I love that Burnell stepped up to him and sang in his face. Lazaro should have stepped aside and resigned right then and there when Ryan called Burnell’s name. What is wrong with America!?!

And, I can’t STAND Lazaro’s smug attitude. Gross. He’s just worn out his welcome.

• Amy says:

Right re: attitude…he’s been fu’ ing (can I post that?!) all over the place…when he walks to the “safety chairs”, when he did his “flamingo stomp” to end his song and stomp up the stairs back to the stage….wow….Idol finally creates a Diva, and he can’t even sing. yikes. what a mess.

• rwfblog says:

My outrage is not directed at Lazaro. Sure he had the sympathy vote, but that was about the only thing going for him. Grossly forgetting his songs two weeks in a row, and folks still voting for him? It’s not sympathy vote any more. The Sanjaya “f-u, f-Idol, f-the-contestants” voters are back. And I think they must have (in-)bred and multiplied since then.

• Michael says:

You have to remember that Lazaro was in the bottom two with devin (according to idol at least) so his fans probably voted for him as much as they could Wednesday night. Hopefully he will be gone soon…very very soon. Maybe I’m just being optimistic though.

• Erin says:

I did not like Burnell singing aggressively in Lazaro’s face because it is not Lazaro’s fault people are voting for him.

24. Sinc says:

Rock week and you have Carrie and Casey as the performers–?? Are the judges saving their SAVE for Lazaro? And yes, Candice definitely should have been in the top 3–she was the best rocker on last night’s show. Even Ryan is sounding apologetic these days and is “heartfeltingly” thanking people for (still) tuning in– #WritingOnTheWall

• I don’t think they’re saving it for Lazaro at all. I think they’re saving it for the chance that Lazaro might outlast one of the top girls — and they’ll need to use it then.

• deedee says:

Well, they’re gonna need to use it by next week, so whether it’s Lazaro or one of the girls, the save gets trotted out.

• LeahKittyS says:

No way in hell they’d save Lazaro, even for the sake of the schedule. If he goes next week, the Save will be put away for the season, and Nigel and Ken will come up with something to make up for the extra week. Which would be quite amusing.

25. Mango2 says:

What is WRONG WITH THE VOTERS! Lazero in the top 3…I must be dreaming… Who is voting for this guy! This is wrong at all levels that he should even be in the top 3 during Week 7. I have no more words at this moment. Thank goodness my favs are still in it. GO CANDICE!

26. Guitar Blue says:

As I thought a couple weeks ago, Amber is now a big competition to Candice moving forward, and getting plenty of praise from the Judges.. Lazaro is the remaining guy now, and doesn’t need to know the lyrics to ace-out one of the girls next week. I picked Burnell as the elim in the pool, so didn’t surprise me at all.

27. MG says:

Even more mind-blowing than him making the top 6 is the realization that Lazaro is the top male contestant from this season. Let that sink in for a second people… *shudder*

28. HitTheGroundRunning says:

oh god, laz in top three ahead of amber and candice!! Seriously, but WTH!?!!!
    and the last man standing hmmm….
    man was that was a sad, deeply emotional elimination….
    what is up with the voters and the ways they vote when it comes to guys

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

Kinda cute how Burnell ended the song right in front of Amber and then darted in a kiss. Man she looked totally broken up at the end and they all looked like they loved the dude.

• Nephtalia says:

My shipper heart got broken right there. If I knew about this a little earlier, I would have throw in a little more votes….grrr. That would have been something to look forward too. Ambell!!

• Wooddieee says:

Amber can do better. That girl is undeniably beautiful. Burnell is…. well, he’s out of her league if going by looks. And I’m not sure Burnell is on the right side of the median IQ.

29. Broadway Baby says:

Seci….deet…glij…wha? I am speechless.

30. karenb says:

Where is the suspense this year ?! I just may vote for Lazaro next week just to spice things up! I have not had the urge to vote for one Idol this year. Ugh.

• Dan says:

Please don’t! I beg you!

• Halien says:

Oh, it’s already been decided. If Lazho don’t go home next week, then a bunch of us will vote for him to win it all!! That will serve all of them responsible for this mess right. And they thought Lee was hard to sell??? Bwaaahaahhaaaaaaa!!!!!

• AlyB says:

If you stopped trying to exact some kind of bitter revenge on Idol for doing whatever it is you seem so bitter about, we could finally get rid of him. It’s people like you, mad about whatever, that make results like this a reality. If you’re voting for him, you’re the problem.

• Paul says:

Some people might be listening to Lazaro’s iTunes songs – which have been quite good. The producers have been pushing the girls so long – the fans don’t like things forced down their throat. Expect Lazaro in the finale. Expect Candice to be saved next week.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

Maybe NBC has every last intern power voting for mister top three (two? one?).

• The Beach says:

I didn’t think VFTW had much voting power these days but maybe they do.

• Richard43 says:

Funny, your’s is the first post to mention the elephant in the room. I think many folks are sick of AI and are using their votes (for Laz) to express this. No offense to the guy, but his real talent is obviously in lip sync contests.
            The quality of the contestants has definitely fallen off over the years. I really feel sorry for Jimmy I. having to deal with this cattle call at this stage of his career.

• Gailer says:

I have not voted this year at all, but will voted for Lazaro next week I think just for a laugh. This is the worst season ever.

• MB says:

You know this maybe the only explanation. People are voting for Lazaro as a protest because of all the manipulation with the guys this year. It’s a stick it to the producers vote. It certainly would be blow it in their face type of revenge.

• marie says:

In this particular case, MB, I don’t think the motivation is protest in outrage against a beloved show; the person whose post you were answering has been spamming this board for a few weeks about how Idol sucks, The Voice is better, etc.
          I just wish NON-Idol-fans like Gailer would stay out of it and not vote on a show they dislike to intentionally try to undermine and discredit it.

• hmr says:

I totally agree! It is not fair how they manipulated the guys this season. It is the judges fault that Lazaro made it to top 10. America is not buying into the suggested top 3: Angie, Kree and Amber.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

Which simply means that the show is cooked at this point. If they can’t their guy to win they don’t wanna be a part of the show, heck with the females be they talented or not. Maybe if Idol hadn’t over manipulated so much earlier on they’d have enough people left who’d think otherwise. Maybe it is cooked unless the new winner brings people back next season after they see some other type won for once again.

31. Atlgal2013 says:

I just can’t with this played-out show anymore. What a joke? Lazaro top 3…. This must be some vote for the worst conspiracy act which is hell bent on making Idol look irrelevant and silly. I loved Burnell but wasn’t surprised to see him go after last night BUT what in the heck was up with the judges ( sans Mariah) not showing Candice any love???? Nicki in particular talking about “girls girls and these 3 will be big in the industry”? OMG if it were just, look these are my top three from last night fine BUT to speak in such broad terms about their possible careers and exclude Candice? And what the heck does “girls girl” even mean. This show jumped the shark years ago but for this season, tonight was the night. To the Voice I go….

• marie says:

I’m not going to The Voice, but thanks for reminding me about Nicki’s ridiculous, idiotic comments. Candice is simply head and shoulders above anyone else on that stage this year. Showing her no respect like that – hell, outright DISrespect – infuriates me.

32. RodMod says:

So, I guess it’s safe to say that the “sock trick” worked in Lazaro’s favor!

Hmm…the same could be said for Amber’s ridiculous/awesome- trashy/sexy pants!! ;)

33. Thilia says:

While I doubt Lazaro will win, I think he will outlast one or two of the girls. He’s got the hispanic vote, the pity vote and the 10 votes from VFTW.

• Guitar Blue says:

ha ha, the 10 votes is about right — it’s a satire site and has no significant influence on how the votes go — more people go there to slam it than to vote for their pick.

• forrest says:

…….and stutter nation….. yes, a popularity contest. Oops I forgot the words to my victory coronation song with all the confetti…..

34. Crystal says:

The producers did this to themselves. Lazaro is cute. Burnell is handsome. But Lazaro is the only “cute” guy for the tweens and older ladies to vote for, when they would previously be voting for the WGWG. Thank Nigel.

• Jen says:

ugh. Its so depressing. There used to be great talent on this show and now it is a sad joke. The producers must be dying but this is all their own doing. Karma is a b%tch.

• Mary says:

How can anyone think he is cute. It is gross watching him sweat bullets up there and he has the weirdest shape ever. Where in hell does he get his clothes. Those pants tonight.

• marie says:

Note: this old – never mind just “older” – lady had been voting her fingers off for Candice (and some for Amber too). I have never, will never, cast a single vote for Lazaro. I’m sure I’m not the only older lady voting with her head and her ears and not her eyes and other bits.

• MB says:

Hey, watch it I am an old lady. (65 today) and I wouldn’t think of voting for Lazaro.

• Rivky says:

bs’d
      Sorry to disagree, but there have been several of the “older ladies” posting here. The ones posting here have agreed that Lazaro can neither sing nor is he charming or endearing. Life is filled with struggles for many people. That does not give anyone a free pass for being mediocre. I am 63 and would have loved to see Lazaro leave tonight. I knew he wouldn’t b/c that is not where America is right now. I fully expected Burnell to exit, but thought that Lazaro would be in the bottom two. I am totally shocked and very saddened at the thought of him being in the top three. It speaks volumes for society.

• Crystal says:

I’m not sure those who take the time and effort to post on blogs represent the average person who votes. I’m over 40 and love Candice, too, but I don’t think I’m probably the average Idol viewer (and don’t think I have been for a while).

• Owen says:

Um..plenty of people have the a free pass to be mediocre..where do YOU live…?

• Fernando says:

How did you get figures on what demographics are voting for whom? I’d love to see those numbers.

• Jen says:

Jeez Crystal, I thought it was only the men who slammed female voters in here “the young girl vote” “the older woman vote”. The heck with everyone who thinks they know how groups vote in here. I am an older woman who wouldn’t be caught dead voting for Lazaro and there’s plenty of others like me. I dunno where his votes are coming from, but it’s not from my group. Older women do tend to be wiser and while we may call someone cute, it doesn’t mean we forget what crappy singers they are. Gimme a break. I guess bias covers all generations, doesn’t it? God, Lazaro in the top 3 is the biggest joke of the season (so far). That man has become more irritating as time goes on and doesn’t have the talent to even be in the top10 imho. Please Universe, get that dude outta here next week.

35. jupey says:

I love AI but after Lazaro being in the bottom 3 I lost a lot of respect for the show! They NEED to make changes to the rules so this doesn’t happen again! If Lazaro doesn’t go home next week it will be a disgrace to all the other contestants.

• Jen says:

I’m sure you meant to say Lazaro being in the top 3 and yes I agree completely. SURELY they will change the voting rules next season if the show is still on the air.

36. jean o says:

Candace not in the top 3 is unbelievable… and sad. What’s that about?!

37. LeahKittyS says:

And now, a continuation of “American Idol Horror Story”:
    (Scene: the dressing rooms at American Idol. The women walk anxiously about the dark hall.)
    Angie: “It’s been two hours. What’s taking them so long?”
    Kree: “I know, right? How long does it take to check a breaker switch?”
    Candice: “Well, they better hurry up. We’ve already got two search parties out for those boys, we don’t need any more.”
    Amber: Shivering “I don’t like this at all…”
    Candice: (wraps an arm around her) “I’m sure they’re fine. Don’t worry.”
    Janelle: “Well, my flashlight’s going out, I’m gonna go find some more batteries.”
    (Janelle heads down a hall. She passes by an open door to a room where Lazaro is lying on the couch, crying into a cushion. She stops and looks in.)
    Janelle: “Laz? What’s wrong?”
    (Lazaro looks up to acknowledge her, then resumes crying into the couch.)
    Janelle: “I know you’re scared, but it’s gonna be okay. You’ll see.”
    (Lazaro lets out a muffled wail. Janelle looks around the room as if for an answer. She walks toward the dresser, where four folded pieces of paper are sitting. She picks one up, opens it, and her eyes go wide as she reads the dark red letters.)
    CURTIS IS DEAD. FOUR MORE TO GO. – P
    (She sets it down and opens the second paper. Her mouth is agape with horror at the dark red letters.)
    PAUL IS DEAD. THREE MORE TO GO. – P
    (She sets it down and opens the third paper. Her face loses all color as she reads the dark red letters.)
    DEVIN IS DEAD. TWO MORE TO GO. – P
    (Clutching her stomach, she unfolds the last piece of paper. She drops it as soon as she reads the name and looks away, her eyes brimming.)
    BURNELL IS DEAD. ONE MORE TO GO. – P

38. Lourdes says:

Be careful what you wish for … I expect the ratings to continue to drop since the girls are kind of boring and the only guy left is *Lazaro* … it’s insulting to compare him to Ricky Ricardo. Desi Arnaz could remember lyrics and SING. I seriously hope Nigel picks up on Slezak’s suggestion of pairing current contestants with Idol alums for mentoring.

• dj says:

Thank you! Desi Arnaz was in another league. Not only could he sing, dance, play several instruments, act, and do comedy, but he ran a very successful studio and invented reruns.

39. marie says:

Yes, yes, yes, MS, I feel exactly as you do; I literally yelled at my TV a few times tonight. Lazaro in the top 3????? WHAAAAAT kind of mess is THAT???
    Yes, I called it a few weeks ago; Lazaro is indeed the last guy in the competition, but having anticipated it doesn’t make it any easier to take. No way.
    And I, too, thanked Mariah, out loud, for being the one judge with ears: Angie over Candice in three judges’ top three as well as Jimmy’s? BEYOND absurd.
    But something else I said a few weeks ago: just like the magnificent Melinda, Candice will never win this. On Idol, there is such a thing, unfortunately, as TOO GOOD.
    AAAAAAGGHGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! @$%❖*@$!!!!!

40. twnkltoze says:

This season is a joke of monumentous proportions. I won’t be watching again until Lazaro is gone, even if that means I miss listening to Candice Freaking Glover. Really? Who are these idiots voting for Lazaro? We can thank the judges first for putting him through far enough to where the bleeding heart public started voting for him at the great expense of many more capable singers/performers. Judges, Nigel, you ought to be ashamed of yourselves for making a mockery of this once competition. I’m not even happy about choosing Burnell to be voted off in my office pool as that further proves what a bunch of yahoos there are keeping this whiney, dork with a major victim-mentality on the show. I’m with you Michael. I’M DONE!

• Mary says:

Blame Nigel and the Producers for putting him through, not the judges. I will bet my last dollar they were forced to have him go through, no way in heck would Keith, Nicki , Mariah have put him through on their own. Randy maybe but just because he knows how the game is played.

41. Danny says:

I went straight here & posted. Lazaro in the top 3? I’m curious to see how many others had a comment along these lines in their post. I’ll read it in a second. For what it’s worth, my rankings would be

1) Amber
    2) Janelle
    3) Candice
    4) Kree
    5) Angela
    6) Burnell
    7) Lazaro

The top 5 are all pretty close. A great song or a snoozer would move em in quite a few spots either way.

Still, I don’t think this is a great season. I’ve been watching last years show a fair amount too along w/ this one. I know that I’m in the minority, but I wouldn’t have had any of these people in the top 7 last year.

From top 9 until top 3, there were very few bad performances and quite a few wow moments. This year there’s been very few wow moments, a few real bad ones, a lot of solid ones, but nothing that makes me play the episode over.

• Lisa says:

I used to be a die-hard Idol fan…but it’s quality has definitely slipped. I’m really enjoying ‘The Voice’…they find real talent and their coaches put them thtough some tough grinds to bring out the best in them.

• Justin says:

The Voice’s talent sucks compared to idol. Anybody as good as Kelly Clarkson or Carrie Underwood on there? Didn’t think so.

• Halien says:

Wrong-O Try Judith Hill. You’re welcome!

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

they have a couple who have some huge potential. Granted I’m not sure the one you mentioned would qualify for Idol

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

I’d take Amanda Brown over Underwood.

• Mel31602 says:

TOTALLY AGREE Justin. Candice and kree would sing circles around Judith Hill and Sarah Simmons. I admit this Voice season has been more entertaining than in years past but I still don’t get those who say it has the best talent. Way too many indie types and the focus on the voice means more contestants w zero stage presence.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

I don’t know about that at all. Hell the one was hand picked by Michael Jackson even.

• dj says:

They are both amazing singers. It will be interesting watching Judith once the battle rounds begin.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

Oopps, I meant by the ‘great’ Michael Jackson himself.

• deedee says:

ROFL, HitTheGround! “The great” Michael Jackson will always get a laugh out of me :D .

• The Beach says:

Compared to the Top 5 guys on this year’s AI, The Voice’s guys are better.

• Meme says:

Oh you are so right on!! Amber has the absolute best and most consistent performances … is anyone listenting?! Janelle has something very special too beyond Candice, Kree and especially Angie. Lazaro should have been the first guy to go home … what happened here?!

42. JR says:

I didn’t watch the results show, so when I read this article’s title I was thinking to myself “Was Candice actually sent home? NO!!”, but then I discovered that what happened was Burnell leaving the competition (I was very relieved to know it wasn’t Candice) but LAZARO MADE TOP 3????
    WHAT THE “DUCK” ?????? Are you serious ‘MURICA? You were almost getting things really right last week, why did you have to screw it all this week? Seriously?! What’s wrong with those ears? OK, I’ll stop it for now. But that’s my genuine reaction, just like 30 seconds ago.

43. Lisa says:

This is insane…with all the negative comments about Lazaro, who is voting for him??? This is not a pity contest, a courage contest, or a ‘cute’ contest! It’s about the singing people!!! He’s a nice kid, he has a lot of courage, and he’s cute. Ok, that being said, he goes off key and worse, he forgets the lyrics and during group, made the group look weak and they had to cover for him…Burnell could sing circles around him…too bad.

44. Libby says:

I miss the Silver Stools of Doom.

Not liking the whole face on the screen thing.

45. Mel31602 says:

Have no issues with Burnell going home. He was bad last night and I honestly never got his appeal. Was more upset that a)Lazaro was in top 3 b)None of the judges had Candice in their top 3 (tho if those rankings were just for last night that’s more understandable, but I would’ve picked Janelle or Candice over Kree) and c) Janelle was in the b2. She’s my second fave after Candice.

• sdexta says:

Mariah was the only judge to have Candice in the top 3.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

That was pretty surprising. I do like Amber a lot though. And Angie has had some really great weeks. I wasn’t that taken with Kree at first, and then I was, and now I’m becoming less so again, she seems to be on a really good plateau, but it is one stuck a rung below greatness, but she has strength. In a certain sense I could see how Candice isn’t maybe someone’s style quite as much and sometimes she seems a touch more like the absolutely perfect karaoke machine than excitingly brilliant, but that said she hasn’t had any messes and he she has had some really strong ones so whatever you think of her it seems hard to not see her mentioned for top three. I can see how people could feel bad about then kicking out Amber or Kree or Angie though. But since Candice hasn’t ever had something off it does seem odd that she is the one who got picked as the odd one out by most, not sure it really makes any sense.

• Ramification says:

Candice has been anything but a karaoke machine her performances are infused with emotion and attitude all of them, just rematch I Who Have Notning , I still do.

• Name That Tune says:

HTGR, how is I who have nothing & Grapevine karaoke? If anything, she’s taken more musical risks than any of them. And singing a Mick Jagger song with the pure power she has makes her anything but karaoke.
          Nikki keeps talking about being a “girls’ girl” which offends me. We know what she means. She’s talking about a Barbi doll. That’s Angie Amber Janelle & to a lesser extent Kree. I find Barbie I dolls kind of boring. You dress them a up, they look pretty but there is no substance there.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

Not this week, but in most prior weeks there would be times where for a number of bars she’d sing it fine but wouldn’t go a touch rougher and use micro-dynamics or show little accents of emotion on any notes or show anything but a blank flat face and with her purer not so distinctive voice (as most of them have this season) that just made it just a trace karaoke, this week she did some more roughing up and doing that stuff so maybe next week she will combine that plus something 100% in her wheelhouse and then be great instead of very very good. But listen, she is the only one to have not had a week that was a bit weaker at all and I’m not saying that it’s not weird that she was barely making the top three in any of the lists.

46. Mary says:

I. Feel like I am in a nightmare and I cannot wake up. Really America top three. The producers are probably sh..g their pants right about now, not to mention Jimmy. America is really sticking it to them, serves them right if he wins the whole thing. I actually agree with the judges top three. Although I personally do not care for Angie I do think she is marketable. Candice is talented but R&B usually do not make it far in this show so I was not surprise. My top two is Amber and Kree. I see so much potential in Amber.

• deedee says:

I think the producers enjoy when there’s controversy and outrage. Any kind of buzz that makes people talk about the show is good. It’s Jimmy who needs to worry.

47. Amy says:

And ANOTHER THING!!!…..Not only can’t this guy sing…but he hasn’t had one show in about 4 weeks where he didn’t not forget words to at least one song! And he’s on only the biggest singing competition ever, and believes it’s still OKAY to say …”he just learned the song”….um…like EVERYone does, EVERY week…that’s how the game is played.
    Ok…I’m ranting now…I know.

48. Tim says:

So Lazaro is top 3? We cannot even assume he was number 3. He could be #1 or #2. I think that is why Nigel decided to reveal the top 3 this week – so he could spur the fans of the others to do more. It could kill this show if Lazaro goes to the finale.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

Whoa, you are right, it was too much for my brain to dare comprehend, but Ryan even specifically re-iterated, just before placing Lazaro as the final one into the top three, that the top results were IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER! Man he may have been ahead of either Kree or Angie too…. or dare I say…. both! But coming from bottom three last week to that high seems impossible so I still think he was #3, but man I almost wonder if he wasn’t #2 wow.

• Name That Tune says:

He has always been #2 on Twitter. Remember that Angie -Lazaro duet? ? Think of them as your season ending finale. I see a confetti shower in Lazaro’s future. And Idol deserves it.

• Joy says:

Idol deserves it, but I do feel sorry for whatever poor soul gets stuck directing this year’s tour show, with Lazaro cast as their star performer…

49. twnkltoze says:

No matter how bad some of you think Burnell was last night, Lazaro can’t hold a candle to Burnell on his worst day. And what’s up with leaving Candice out of your choices for top 3 you freaking idiots?? I give up.

• Amy says:

Right. On both points.

• marie says:

“Freaking idiots” is too mild for THAT bit of nonsense!

• Paul says:

This is a ploy to get more vote for Candice. Though I worry that Candice started so strong and has not gotten better (I did not like her last two appearances compared to previous). Amber and Janelle started weaker and have been getting stronger.