American Idol Brings Back Kelly Clarkson

Kelly Clarkson Returns to American IdolKelly Clarkson is getting back in touch with her American Idol roots.

The Grammy-winning recording artist — who was crowned champ during the series’ inaugural season — has been tapped to perform her new single “People Like Us” on the Fox hit’s April 11 results show, EW.com reports.

PHOTOS | American Idol Ratings Down — 8 Ways to Salvage Season 12

Clarkson in recent years hasn’t shied away from lending a hand to some of Idol‘s competition. The songstress acted as a mentor to contestants in The Voice‘s second season, and most recently was one of the core four judges/mentors on ABC’s Duets.

Are you excited for Idol‘s moment like this? Hit the comments!

Comments (30)

• This is great news! She is just sooooooo good, and the new song is fantastic. There’s never been a better idol in my opinion!

Comment by Kate – April 4, 2013 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best news ever! I really hope they take this chance to have her guest mentor as well.

Comment by Sharon – April 4, 2013 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • they should make her a judge.

Comment by Elyse – April 4, 2013 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That would have been a brilliant move to bring back the original winner and probably cheaper then Mariah.

A good Panale would be Nikki Minaj, Kelly Clarkson, Adam Lambert and Carrie Underwood.

Comment by JASon – April 4, 2013 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Not bad, but I’d prefer it if they went back to just 3 judges. 4 judges take too long.

Comment by lyn – April 4, 2013 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’d rather her and Carrie Underwood not derail their careers to become judges. They would definitely make great judges but I would rather them stick to making music. A lot of the judges on these shows only become judges to make more money and to boost their careers and while it can be successful for some, Carrie and Kelly are doing just fine and they really don’t need it to stay relevant in the entertainment industry unlike say Randy Jackson.
        Plus, when are they going to actually end AI. There has not been one person who has reached even close to the success of Kelly and Carrie. And the show is just plain boring. At least even though The Voice has yet to produce a real star, it is way more entertaining and has a more diverse group of contestants/music.

Comment by A – April 4, 2013 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • jordin sparks has done really well. and phillips is off to a great start

Comment by JT – April 4, 2013 09:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Get rid of Nikki. Please!!!

Comment by rio – April 5, 2013 07:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I can’t help but feel like being a judge would be a step back in Kelly and Carrie’s careers. It’d be a good move for Adam. He might become relevant again.

Comment by dude – April 9, 2013 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does Clive Davis have anything to do with Idol? That idiot keeps stabbing her in the back!!

Comment by JASon – April 4, 2013 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He’s a senile bitter old bisexual just out of the closet. He preferred to glamorize Whitney in her last year while dumping all over Kelly. I love Kelly.

Comment by Bea (@bd9598) – April 4, 2013 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, he hasn’t had anything to do with Idol since season 7. Hallelujah.

Comment by guest – April 4, 2013 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wont watch this trainwreck again until Nikki Minaj is gone.

Comment by Jason – April 4, 2013 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kelly and Carrie are the two greats off of Idol and I think they got Carrie and her for ratings!

Comment by K. – April 4, 2013 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You forgot Lee DeWyze!

Tee Hee.

Comment by Ettie – April 4, 2013 05:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You best not be forgettin’ Fantasia.
      In all seriousness, I know Fantasia never had the massive success of Carrie or Kelly, but it wasn’t for lack of being awesome.

Comment by Miscellaneopolan – April 4, 2013 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe Kelly will duet with top 3 guy, Lazaro.

Comment by Guitar Blue – April 4, 2013 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ha! That would be comical. She would sing circles around him!

Comment by Kate – April 4, 2013 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’s gonna flip her lid when she’s gotta hand the title to Lazaro

Comment by Danny – April 4, 2013 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kelly Clarkson has a very “Kelly” sound, which is missing in most of the idol contestants. Maybe she can help them realize what “feeling music” really means. Even tho I want to stop watching due to nonsense by Ms Minaj (I just mute her now), Kelly on the show will definitely make me watch that night. Carrie seemed a little tired tonight, but cheers to her for taking time from her schedule to perform back on the Idol stage. Would love to see Philip Phillips, but since the boys are going to be gone by next week, they probably will stick with female guests only. Sorry Lazaro, but this is going to be a girl’s year!

Comment by Sylvia – April 4, 2013 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The first and still one of the best! Glad to see Kelly Clarkson back on AI – hope she can do one of her covers sometime!

Comment by Steve F. – April 4, 2013 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait to see the Queen of AI return next week. I would love it if she was a mentor next week but that probably won’t happen.

Comment by guest – April 4, 2013 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excited as hell. I love her she is one of the greatest artists right now. Kelly & Adele are bringing real music back and I can’t wait to watch KC next week :)

Comment by JC – April 4, 2013 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am excited to see Kelly Clarkson on AI. I will definitely watch that night. I haven’t been watching AI for a looooong time! I got disgusted when Ruben (what is he doing nowadays?) won over Clay and when Fantasia won. I did watch another season or 2 after that but gave up. To me, the best has and will always be Kelly. I still remember her audition and most of her performances on AI. Love her!!

Comment by SK – April 5, 2013 04:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will watch for Kelly only. Nikki Minaj and Mariah Carey have RUINED this show! Nikki Minaj can’t sing and is just hateful. Mariah is a diva who is just there for the $$$. They haven’t had a successful winner since Scotty and he is only moderately so when compared to Kelly and Carrie. Used to love Idol but when the judges became more important than the contestants, I was done.

Comment by GS – April 5, 2013 05:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE Kelly. I will tune in just to see her. She is one of the best artists out there. So amazingly talented, plus she’s real. Can’t wait to see her sing her new single. Go Kelly!

Comment by Marta – April 5, 2013 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikki, Keith, Kelly would make a fabulous panel. I agree that three is better than four…

Comment by Robin – April 7, 2013 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We have been fans for years but if Nikki returns we won’t be again.

Comment by Debbie – April 10, 2013 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait to watch kelly on AI. She’s the queen of amercan idol.In other words she’s the tree and the rest of the AI winners are the branches. :)

Comment by mqs – April 10, 2013 11:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post