American Idol Brings Back Kelly Clarkson

Kelly Clarkson Returns to American IdolKelly Clarkson is getting back in touch with her American Idol roots.

The Grammy-winning recording artist — who was crowned champ during the series’ inaugural season — has been tapped to perform her new single “People Like Us” on the Fox hit’s April 11 results show, EW.com reports.

PHOTOS | American Idol Ratings Down — 8 Ways to Salvage Season 12

Clarkson in recent years hasn’t shied away from lending a hand to some of Idol‘s competition. The songstress acted as a mentor to contestants in The Voice‘s second season, and most recently was one of the core four judges/mentors on ABC’s Duets.

Are you excited for Idol‘s moment like this? Hit the comments!

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: American Idol, Casting News

1. Kate says:

This is great news! She is just sooooooo good, and the new song is fantastic. There’s never been a better idol in my opinion!

2. Sharon says:

Best news ever! I really hope they take this chance to have her guest mentor as well.

3. Elyse says:

they should make her a judge.

• JASon says:

That would have been a brilliant move to bring back the original winner and probably cheaper then Mariah.

A good Panale would be Nikki Minaj, Kelly Clarkson, Adam Lambert and Carrie Underwood.

• lyn says:

Not bad, but I’d prefer it if they went back to just 3 judges. 4 judges take too long.

• A says:

I’d rather her and Carrie Underwood not derail their careers to become judges. They would definitely make great judges but I would rather them stick to making music. A lot of the judges on these shows only become judges to make more money and to boost their careers and while it can be successful for some, Carrie and Kelly are doing just fine and they really don’t need it to stay relevant in the entertainment industry unlike say Randy Jackson.
        Plus, when are they going to actually end AI. There has not been one person who has reached even close to the success of Kelly and Carrie. And the show is just plain boring. At least even though The Voice has yet to produce a real star, it is way more entertaining and has a more diverse group of contestants/music.

• rio says:

Get rid of Nikki. Please!!!

• dude says:

I can’t help but feel like being a judge would be a step back in Kelly and Carrie’s careers. It’d be a good move for Adam. He might become relevant again.

4. JASon says:

Does Clive Davis have anything to do with Idol? That idiot keeps stabbing her in the back!!

5. Jason says:

I wont watch this trainwreck again until Nikki Minaj is gone.

6. K. says:

Kelly and Carrie are the two greats off of Idol and I think they got Carrie and her for ratings!

7. Guitar Blue says:

Maybe Kelly will duet with top 3 guy, Lazaro.

8. Danny says:

She’s gonna flip her lid when she’s gotta hand the title to Lazaro

9. Sylvia says:

Kelly Clarkson has a very “Kelly” sound, which is missing in most of the idol contestants. Maybe she can help them realize what “feeling music” really means. Even tho I want to stop watching due to nonsense by Ms Minaj (I just mute her now), Kelly on the show will definitely make me watch that night. Carrie seemed a little tired tonight, but cheers to her for taking time from her schedule to perform back on the Idol stage. Would love to see Philip Phillips, but since the boys are going to be gone by next week, they probably will stick with female guests only. Sorry Lazaro, but this is going to be a girl’s year!

10. Steve F. says:

The first and still one of the best! Glad to see Kelly Clarkson back on AI – hope she can do one of her covers sometime!

11. guest says:

Can’t wait to see the Queen of AI return next week. I would love it if she was a mentor next week but that probably won’t happen.

12. JC says:

Excited as hell. I love her she is one of the greatest artists right now. Kelly & Adele are bringing real music back and I can’t wait to watch KC next week :)

13. SK says:

I am excited to see Kelly Clarkson on AI. I will definitely watch that night. I haven’t been watching AI for a looooong time! I got disgusted when Ruben (what is he doing nowadays?) won over Clay and when Fantasia won. I did watch another season or 2 after that but gave up. To me, the best has and will always be Kelly. I still remember her audition and most of her performances on AI. Love her!!

14. GS says:

I will watch for Kelly only. Nikki Minaj and Mariah Carey have RUINED this show! Nikki Minaj can’t sing and is just hateful. Mariah is a diva who is just there for the $$$. They haven’t had a successful winner since Scotty and he is only moderately so when compared to Kelly and Carrie. Used to love Idol but when the judges became more important than the contestants, I was done.

15. Marta says:

LOVE Kelly. I will tune in just to see her. She is one of the best artists out there. So amazingly talented, plus she’s real. Can’t wait to see her sing her new single. Go Kelly!

16. Robin says:

Nikki, Keith, Kelly would make a fabulous panel. I agree that three is better than four…

17. Debbie says:

We have been fans for years but if Nikki returns we won’t be again.

18. mqs says:

I can’t wait to watch kelly on AI. She’s the queen of amercan idol.In other words she’s the tree and the rest of the AI winners are the branches. :)