How to Live With Your Parents: Will You Move In?

Get More: Polls, Renewals

BRAD GARRETT, STEPHANIE HUNT, SARAH CHALKE, RACHEL EGGLESTON, ELIZABETH PERKINS, JON DOREAre you interested in the finer points of How to Live With Your Parents (for the Rest of Your Life)?

ABC’s newest comedy, which debuted Wednesday at 9:30/8:30c, stars Scrubs alum Sarah Chalke as Polly, a neurotic, newly single mother who rounds up daughter Natalie (Rachel Eggleston) and decamps to her childhood home in the wake of her divorce.

“I’m not a failure; I’m trendy,” she tells us via voiceover six months after begging her no-filter mother Elaine (played by WeedsElizabeth Perkins) and laid-back stepfather Max (Everybody Loves Raymond‘s Brad Garrett) to take her in. But that chipper, Type-A outlook hides something a bit darker: Polly resents her anything-goes childhood and vows not to repeat Elaine’s mistakes, even if that means giving Natalie so much structure (which Polly lovingly calls “attachment parenting”) that there’s not much room left for spontaneity.

The clash in child-rearing styles reaches its zenith when Polly goes out on her first post-divorce date (thanks to a little nudge from her juice-bar co-worker Jenn, played by Stephanie Hunt, Friday Night Lights). Elaine and Max – the kind of swinging seniors who are prone to make love whenever (and wherever) the spirit moves them and swill tequila in the afternoon – can’t understand why Polly’s so uptight about things like an emergency phone list and Natalie’s bedtime routine.

When both Polly’s evening and the inaugural babysitting session run off the rails, Natalie’s doofy dad Julian (John Dore) shows up to help his ex put things back into order. Julian’s got a good heart but zero financial common sense; the show makes it clear that although they’ve split, he and Polly still share a real emotional connection. After only six months after the divorce, though, you think there’d be a wee bit more tension between them.

The jokes lean heavily on Elaine’s storied sexual past (which includes bedding a Chicago Bulls player, though she can’t remember which) and on the testicle Max had to have removed (which Elaine claims led to his possessive nature), but the quirkily heartwarming show feels a good fit for ABC’s Wednesday-night line-up.

That’s what we think, but what’s your take? Grade How To Live With Your Parents via the poll below, then hit the comments to back up your choice!

Comments (42)

• I thought it was cute, but I must confess that I am a staunch supporter of all things Sarah Chalke.

Comment by Fabe – April 3, 2013 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like her too, but that was bad.

Comment by Ademm – April 3, 2013 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Really Unfunny and BAD!

Comment by suzyku – April 26, 2013 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was okay. I expected more but it ended relying heavily too much on the sexual jokes.

Comment by Amanda – April 3, 2013 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yup. It’s lazy comedy. There were some smile inducing moments. I liked the bath tub scene. I laughed when the dog went to bite Brad even though it was so obvious, his reaction was funny. I’ll continue to watch though just because I love all three of the leads.

Comment by Mark – April 3, 2013 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ITA and her parents were too much like Dharma’s on D&G. I love Perkins, but barely tolerate Garrett. I won’t watch again.

Comment by lyn – April 4, 2013 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought it was pretty bad. Didn’t really laugh or chuckle once. Maybe it will get better though. Will watch episode 2 and 3.

Comment by Brandy – April 3, 2013 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I won’t watch ep 2. I was out 2 mins into ep 1. Complete waste of a thinking person’s time.

Comment by Alienate – April 4, 2013 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope this sitcom won’t last that long. Brad Garrett can’t get his act together since he was hysterical on Everybody Loves Raymond (still miss that show).

Comment by Jack Bauer 2.0 – April 3, 2013 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He was on Access Hollywood Live today, and was amazing. They should just give him his own talk show.

Comment by David4 – April 3, 2013 08:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My dad loved it, and I thought it was ok, but not really laugh out loud funny.
    it stars one of my first crushes in it, so I will give it another shot or two.

Comment by strachpa – April 3, 2013 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • sarah deserves better and one day she will get a good show eventually

Comment by dude – April 3, 2013 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll give it another chance. It wasn’t very good.

Comment by Sg. Grant – April 3, 2013 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Never trust a pilot… :) you need a couple of ‘real’ eps to see how it goes! Good so far, but let’s see in a week or two!

Comment by Lee – April 3, 2013 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just moved back in with my parents after graduating college, so I love this show even if it does hit a little too close to home lol

Comment by Jane – April 3, 2013 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s sitting on the DVR – couldn’t bring myself to watch it yet because it knocked Cougar Town off the only Canadian channel showing new episodes. Now I’m really not sure.

Comment by Kiki – April 3, 2013 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoyed it, I mean it’s quirky, but I didn’t hate it.

Comment by Mike – April 3, 2013 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought it was pretty ok, nothing spectacular but some funny parts, ill watch

Comment by Juan – April 3, 2013 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • About 20 mins in, I started paying more attention to what was on my computer but I’ll try to watch it again and keep it as a series on my dvr for now.

Comment by c-mo – April 3, 2013 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Out of the 4 ABC comedies tonight, How to Live with Your Parents was the worst. It was still okay.

Comment by Leondre – April 3, 2013 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought it was just ghastly and I don’t plan on watching it again.

Comedies are supposed to be smart, witty and hilarious.

This one was just stupid, immature and absolutely not right.

I don’t expect it to last very long and I do hope that it will be cancelled soon.

Everytime I see a show like cougartown or happy endings or even this one, I have to wonder who is running ABC.

It’s clearly someone who doesn’t understand real humor.

Comment by Chichi – April 3, 2013 09:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Trite.

Comment by Kristine S. – April 3, 2013 09:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Elizabeth Perkins, but her character has to dial it back a bit. There’s no way I can buy any grandmother acting that way in front of her granddaughter, unless she was literally supposed to come across as abusive (not the tone this show is going for, I assume). This show has potential, but needs some editing/fine-tuning. (Lose the doofy-but-lovable, supportive, manchild, recently-divorced ex-husband of Sarah Chalke’s character while we’re at it).

Comment by Jesse – April 3, 2013 09:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Clearly you have never seen The New Normal…

Comment by Eli – April 4, 2013 06:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The story wasn’t new or edgy, the editing was terrible, Brad Garrett overacted all of his scenes. Elizabeth Perkins is amazing but even she couldn’t save the weak script. I had high hopes but was sadly disappointed.

Comment by Tamara – April 3, 2013 09:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked it a lot, and can’t wait for the next episode. Sarah Chalke basically guarantees a good show.

Comment by Zachary – April 3, 2013 09:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was okay. I wasn’t expecting much for the first episode because pilots almost always suck. I’ll give it a few more episodes for Sarah Chalke’s sake before I actually make a call on whether or not I’ll be watching it anymore.

Comment by Jessica M – April 3, 2013 09:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Felt very pilot-y. Got to give it a few episodes to see if it’ll work out.

Comment by kavyn – April 3, 2013 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it was on my tv, my eyes saw some stuff, but i wasn’t really watching. it just didn’t grab my attention.

Comment by cjeffery7 – April 3, 2013 10:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was a mix of all things we’ve already seen… A bore and a cliché!

Comment by vd – April 3, 2013 11:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like the leads and on Wednesdays I watch all the other ABC sitcoms so I will continue to watch but I.was not impressed. It’s a tie between this and Suborgatory for the worst. Why are inappropriate grandparents supposed to be funny? The ex being there all the time is confusing and annoying. It kind of defeats the purpose of her divorcing him. The only time I laughed was when Polly ran to hide from the puppy. That was laugh out loud funny. I hope it gets better. ABC is trying to be edgy by putting stuff out like Apt. 23, Happy Endings and Cougartown but its not working. They don’t seem to know the difference between edgy and crass.

Comment by Babygate – April 4, 2013 12:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rankings ABC’s comedies last night:
    1. Modern Family (awesome episode, even if the Jay/Manny storyline was a bit weak)
    2. The Middle (Really close to #1 cause Sue is fabulous, but gets negative points for a tiresome storyline about The Bachelor)
    3. Suburgatory (Kinda over this show, but last night was ok I suppose)
    4. How to live with your parents (just all-around meh, it wasn’t “Work It”-like awful, but it was just very uninspired, the ending was way too feel-good sappy in a bad way, like others said, the ex-husband character is just damn annoying. This show will require a lot of work to get watchable, shame cause Sarah Chalke is great and deserves better.)

Comment by Eli – April 4, 2013 06:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think if it does come back for a second season it would be best to go before a live audience ala “Everybody Loves Raymond” I think the cast would feed off the audience. Just my opinion

Comment by Carl – April 4, 2013 07:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love alot of shows, but there isn’t many pilots I’ve loved or even liked. I’ll keep watching to see how it goes, because I believe in never trusting a pilot to tell you how good a show is as a whole.

Comment by Courtney – April 4, 2013 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d rather be watching Happy Endings.

Comment by Dani – April 4, 2013 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It paired very well with Modern Family (which will probably submit last night’s ep for the Emmy) – but I swear HTLWYP played like it was a sequel to Friends as a whatever happened to Rachel.

Comment by DanOregon – April 4, 2013 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When did “neurotic” become the norm for funny? It isn’t. The writers and this show are horrible.

Comment by David – April 4, 2013 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Liked the pilot.. eeeexcept one little thing. Perkins’ racy humor went a little overboard. Orgies? Screwing football players? Eating jelly out of genitals? tone it down!

Comment by Ol Fortuna – April 4, 2013 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Show was too vulgar, crass and just plain idiotic. No intelligent person would spend 30 minutes each week watching this. Brad has not been really funny in any show since Raymond. Writers would do well to create a funny family show instead of turning out this type of trash.

Comment by Carol – April 4, 2013 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Very true. But there are millions of Americans who are not as you describe above. Hence, it will find an audience.

Comment by Alienate – April 4, 2013 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I luuve this show. My hope is that the rumors that the show is being cancelled are not true

The cast is hillarious and the comedic timing is perfect

Comment by GG – June 7, 2013 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post