Jay Leno and Jimmy Fallon's Tonight Show Serenade: Is It as Harmonious as It Seems?

NBC’s reigning — and allegedly departing — late-night king Jay Leno and heir apparent Jimmy Fallon make light of the struggle for The Tonight Show in a video released Monday.

The two hosts lip synch a parody of West Side Story’s “Tonight,” in which they poke fun at recent reports that Fallon, the current host of the network’s Late Night, has received an offer to take over at Tonight by fall 2014.

RELATED | Seth Meyers Eyed to Replace Tonight Show-bound Jimmy Fallon

At one point in the spoof, the men sing, “I like you, you like me, we’re OK” — but Leno’s recent monologues suggest he’s not quite as cool with the situation as the tune suggests. After calling NBC executives “snakes” in recent weeks, he opened last night’s show by saying that he and the network had come to terms. “April Fools!” he then joked. “It will never happen.”

Watch Fallon and Leno’s duet below, then hit the comments: What’s your take on the musical interlude?

1. susela says:

I think this is Jimmy Fallon’s way of playing nice guy, and Leno’s going along with it because, well, what else can he do? But he’s seething inside.

• KevyB says:

He’s on the other end of it and realized it isn’t fun? Poor baby. He should’ve just bowed out gracefully at the end of his wretched primetime show and people would’ve looked back at him fondly. 20 years at the helm of the pinnacle of late-night shows and nobody’s going to look back on his tenure like they still do for Johnny Carson.

2. Esaul says:

Meh. Bored of this already. I want NBC to make an announcement since they can’t keep anything under wraps.

3. Chloe says:

I’m enjoying Jay’s little digs at his backstabbing bosses. This is the third time that they’ve either done or thought about doing it to him [when they thought about replacing him with Letterman, when they pushed him out for Conan & this time]. I never watched The Tonight Show before he took over and I won’t watch it afterwards. Nothing against Jimmy, who seems like a nice guy. But Jay has always been the reason that our TVs stay on past 11:30.

• Bob says:

As I mentioned to you in the Official Announcement article, NBC never thought of replacing Leno with Letterman. The decision was who was going to replace Carson. Carson wanted Letterman. Leno hid in a closet and eavesdropped on an NBC management meeting discussing Carson’s replacement. Go read your Late Night history.

4. Tom says:

Leno’s earlier digs at NBC management seemed genuine. This seemed like a publicity stunt. It just feels like NBC recognized Leno’s ratings were up after he started hitting back at NBC management and the NBC suits have now decided to milk it for all it’s worth. The fact that the Today show was hyping this Leno/Fallon bit certainly suggests it was done with the approval and encouragement of NBC management.

5. Loni says:

I thought it was funny. :)

6. Sara says:

I don’t really watch any of the network late night shows (more into Comedy Central’s), but Leno’s showing class. Even when Kimmel or Letterman kept taking shots at him, he didn’t respond

7. Emily says:

I enjoyed it and it made me laugh. NBC has made a total mess of itself, (again), and I hold them totally responsible for everything that has happened.

8. Jake says:

Fox needs to pick up Leno and show NBC how bad they a decision they are making

9. Mary says:

Jay is my favorite and I will not be watching anyone else. I have never missed a show. Jimmy will never be as good and Letterman is bad and old. It will never work.
    Mary

10. JM2211 says:

Jay was and is great. He will be sorely missed in this household!

11. Allan Roach says:

I’m with Mary. Fallen is not as funny as Jay. Expect I’ll get another hour of sleep when Jay leaves.

12. cheap nike air max shoes says:

It’s appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I have read this post and if I could I want to suggest you few interesting things or suggestions. Maybe you can write next articles referring to this article. I wish to read even more things about it!

13. I have read several excellent stuff here.
    Certainly worth bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how a lot effort
    you place to make this type of wonderful informative website.