Jay Leno and Jimmy Fallon's Tonight Show Serenade: Is It as Harmonious as It Seems?

NBC’s reigning — and allegedly departing — late-night king Jay Leno and heir apparent Jimmy Fallon make light of the struggle for The Tonight Show in a video released Monday.

The two hosts lip synch a parody of West Side Story’s “Tonight,” in which they poke fun at recent reports that Fallon, the current host of the network’s Late Night, has received an offer to take over at Tonight by fall 2014.

RELATED | Seth Meyers Eyed to Replace Tonight Show-bound Jimmy Fallon

At one point in the spoof, the men sing, “I like you, you like me, we’re OK” — but Leno’s recent monologues suggest he’s not quite as cool with the situation as the tune suggests. After calling NBC executives “snakes” in recent weeks, he opened last night’s show by saying that he and the network had come to terms. “April Fools!” he then joked. “It will never happen.”

Watch Fallon and Leno’s duet below, then hit the comments: What’s your take on the musical interlude?

Comments (20)

• I think this is Jimmy Fallon’s way of playing nice guy, and Leno’s going along with it because, well, what else can he do? But he’s seething inside.

Comment by susela – April 2, 2013 08:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He’s on the other end of it and realized it isn’t fun? Poor baby. He should’ve just bowed out gracefully at the end of his wretched primetime show and people would’ve looked back at him fondly. 20 years at the helm of the pinnacle of late-night shows and nobody’s going to look back on his tenure like they still do for Johnny Carson.

Comment by KevyB – April 4, 2013 12:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Meh. Bored of this already. I want NBC to make an announcement since they can’t keep anything under wraps.

Comment by Esaul – April 2, 2013 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m enjoying Jay’s little digs at his backstabbing bosses. This is the third time that they’ve either done or thought about doing it to him [when they thought about replacing him with Letterman, when they pushed him out for Conan & this time]. I never watched The Tonight Show before he took over and I won’t watch it afterwards. Nothing against Jimmy, who seems like a nice guy. But Jay has always been the reason that our TVs stay on past 11:30.

Comment by Chloe – April 2, 2013 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As I mentioned to you in the Official Announcement article, NBC never thought of replacing Leno with Letterman. The decision was who was going to replace Carson. Carson wanted Letterman. Leno hid in a closet and eavesdropped on an NBC management meeting discussing Carson’s replacement. Go read your Late Night history.

Comment by Bob – April 3, 2013 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I thought it was his manager that that was the snake and set up Leno moving in to Carson’s spot.

Comment by Willy – June 12, 2013 06:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Leno’s earlier digs at NBC management seemed genuine. This seemed like a publicity stunt. It just feels like NBC recognized Leno’s ratings were up after he started hitting back at NBC management and the NBC suits have now decided to milk it for all it’s worth. The fact that the Today show was hyping this Leno/Fallon bit certainly suggests it was done with the approval and encouragement of NBC management.

Comment by Tom – April 2, 2013 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Guess it’s real with the announcement today.

Comment by Bob – April 3, 2013 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Just confirms my suspicion that it was a publicity stunt orchestrated by NBC and not a spontaneous comedy bit cooked up by Leno and Fallon.

Comment by Tom – April 3, 2013 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought it was funny. :)

Comment by Loni – April 2, 2013 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t really watch any of the network late night shows (more into Comedy Central’s), but Leno’s showing class. Even when Kimmel or Letterman kept taking shots at him, he didn’t respond

Comment by Sara – April 2, 2013 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoyed it and it made me laugh. NBC has made a total mess of itself, (again), and I hold them totally responsible for everything that has happened.

Comment by Emily – April 2, 2013 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fox needs to pick up Leno and show NBC how bad they a decision they are making

Comment by Jake – April 2, 2013 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jay is my favorite and I will not be watching anyone else. I have never missed a show. Jimmy will never be as good and Letterman is bad and old. It will never work.
    Mary

Comment by Mary – April 3, 2013 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you, Mary. Hope things are going OK for you in the retirement home.

Comment by Bob – April 3, 2013 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jay was and is great. He will be sorely missed in this household!

Comment by JM2211 – April 3, 2013 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m with Mary. Fallen is not as funny as Jay. Expect I’ll get another hour of sleep when Jay leaves.

Comment by Allan Roach – April 4, 2013 05:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I have read this post and if I could I want to suggest you few interesting things or suggestions. Maybe you can write next articles referring to this article. I wish to read even more things about it!

Comment by cheap nike air max shoes – May 11, 2013 01:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have read several excellent stuff here.
    Certainly worth bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how a lot effort
    you place to make this type of wonderful informative website.

Comment by taucherbrille mit dioptrien – June 21, 2013 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post