Exclusive

Grey's Anatomy Exclusive First Look: Meredith's Results Are In

Previously on ABC’s Grey Anatomy (Thursdays at 9/8c), Meredith turned to Bailey to help her with a very important question — and we’ve got an exclusive look at the answer.

RELATED | TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard: What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s on the Bubble?

In the wake of solving a child’s medical mystery/Kawasaki Disease diagnosis last week, Meredith asked Bailey to not just perform genome “mapping” on daughter Zola but herself, too, to see if she, like her late mother Ellis, has the gene for Alzheimer’s.

RELATED | Season Finales 2013 — When All Your Favorite Shows Are Ending

In this first look video from this Thursday’s episode, the results are in — but can Bailey deliver the news fast enough for anxious Meredith?

Loading video...

1. martha says:

i can’t see the video

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

An issue with the video not displaying for some Firefox users has been resolved.

• Joy says:

this video stinks! can’t see stop, start, stop crap

• Tammy says:

This show is just getting stupid now. First they kill off Sloan and Lexi and now this with Meredith! I’m about done with Grey’s even though I have watched it from day one. It is getting on my last nerve. They should have kill off Arizona I hate the Callie/Arizona story line!

• julezgirl says:

I totally agree with Tammy – time for this show to be done.

• Mary says:

Greys Anatomy is at its best with drama, people!

• Antwon says:

I’m not sure what show you’ve been watching for the last 9 years, but Greys Anatomy has never been about rainbows, sunbeams and lollipops! It’s a drama. Meredith and Derek and married and now they are pregnant…there has to be obstacles as in real life. Her mother had this so not only is it a nod to Meredith’s history but it makes total sense she could have inherited this from Ellis Grey. It’s not the end of the world. You haven’t even let the story play out!

• Rebekka says:

I love this show my favorite couples are Arizona /Callie
          And mer/Der wish Christina and Owen is getting boring

• I I agree with Tammy! I hate the Arizona/Callie story line. I have watched Greys since it first came on, but now some of the series are downright stupid. I also hate the music that plays all the time when the shows on. It makes it very difficult to hear the Drs saying their lines. Eileen

• Babygate says:

Just so you know, one of the most significant aspects of this show from day one has been its iconic use of music. But I do agree that at times the volume level is overpowering. As far as hating the Callie/Arizona storyline, I can relate. I absolutely hate the Cristina/Owen storyline which, IMO, has become utterly ridiculous and unbearable since S7. Nevertheless, Greys is still my favorite and I continue to tune in knowing full well that I can always press that ‘off’ button on my remote. But you know, to each his own.

• BJ says:

I thought it was me and my tv! I can’t stand the background music! Glad to hear I’m not the only one that take issue with this aspect of the show. Sure, the music is fitting to the scene, but I can’t hear the dialog most of the time. I put the volume so loud that when a commercial comes on my neighbors could go deaf. Also, I rewind and replay to read lips to figure out what was said. SHEESH!!

• Joanne says:

My husband and I feel the same way about the music. It is not only this show but others as well. It is so difficult to hear what they are saying and gets us really upset as we are struggling to hear what they say. The music most deffinately needs to be lower.
            JB Long Branch, NJ

• Jessica says:

I completely agree!

• Babygate says:

Wow. That’s a long time to dislike a story line considering that Callie and Arizona have been a couple since S5. Unfortunately for people that share your sentiment, they are quite a popular pairing and as the only lesbian couple of prime time television they are extremely relevant in the current socio-political environment. Perhaps you object to the representation of gay couples on tv? That’s understandable, but keep in mind that not everyone shares your view. So, make some room for those that tune in not because of MerDer or Crowen or anything other than to see themselves represented on a television show in a positive way.

• Sara says:

Why is it that if someone says they don’t like the Callie/Arizona relationship, that means they don’t like gay people? I am a bisexual woman, and I dislike that relationship. But that is because I severely dislike Arizona and the way she treats Callie (and other characters) at times. I love Callie, because she is such a great representation of a bisexual woman on television, but boy does Arizona get on my nerves.

• Spencer says:

I completely agree. I really really dislike Arizona – I always have. But I love Callie, and I think she is a great representation of bisexual women. It just really sucks that Mark died, because their friendship was one of my favorite things about Grey’s, and now too many of Callie’s scenes are with Arizona. Yuck.

• E says:

Really? I’m a bisexual woman, and I HATE the predictable nature of Callie’s character. The fact that she went right back to Mark when there was trouble with Callie. It’s no wonder Arizona is not always sure of Callie, what with Callie getting pregnant and all.

To me, it seems that, as the years have passed, Arizona has gotten more confident that Callie is not going to leave her for a man, but I can see why she was not so sure for the first year or two.

• Mckenna says:

I was really pissed when they killed off Lexi and Sloan but if you think about it Lexi’s character was getting old. Everyone in her class was gone so what was she going to do this year? And if lexi goes then it would be heartbreaking to see Sloan and then his character would get old too. Meredith having the Alzheimer’s gene doesn’t mean tomorrow she’s going to be dying from it. I have loved this show from the beginning and it’s still really good.

• kavyn says:

God forbid a drama show has dramatic storylines.

• Temperence says:

You know, it’s supposed to be a real dun-dun-DUN! moment, but knowing that you might (might get a degenerative menal disorder WHEN YOU’RE 70 (in an area where rapid advances are happening monthly) isn’t terribly bothersome.

• LeAnne says:

My mother got the diagnoses at 59. More and more people are getting Alzheimers younger, and younger, and there is no cure. It is terminal. Watch your mother die a long slow death for 13 years, and tell me it isn’t particularly bothersome.

• Jan says:

Early onset alzheimers can occur as early as mid-thirties. My Aunt was 44 when she was diagnosed.

• Cheese says:

if you have an iphone you can view the video through your iphone :) it doesn’t work on my computer either but work on my iphone

2. Although I’d love a happy ending for Meredith, I hope that after that scene there’s not “but… you won’t have alzheimers”, because I think that would destroy some of the essence of the show. I want the possibility of Mer getting alzheimers open… feeling like a horrible person right now.

• Michael says:

I think that the “but” statement will be “but not all of the markers[that your mother had]” which leaves it open.

• Nick says:

I agree with Michael. I don’t understand why they would show us this clip if it was ONLY to tell us that Meredith has the gene. There’s definitely a “but” after that…

3. ann says:

cant see the video either :/

4. casgirl3 says:

I can’t see the video!

5. Laia says:

OMG, Can’t believe that.. seriously don’t know what shonda rhimes is gonna do

6. Pam K. says:

The video is not working in Firefox but is working in Internet Explorer.

7. anon says:

It’s not showing up for Chrome either.

8. Monica4185 says:

Whoa how predictable! Who didn’t see this coming? I would’ve been surprise if Meredith had tested negative. For Shonda, Mer&Der can’t have it all, now they are going to have this cloud over their head. So very GA appropriate and expected.

9. Liz says:

F*ck. D*mn. WHY Shonda, why??

10. Goku says:

She is definitely going to say “but…” and end this sentence, so don’t panic too early.

11. Alia says:

Shonda should forget the Alzheimer thing for good, end that story with Adele Webber death. Meredith’s results should be negative.

12. Francy says:

Seriously!?!? We’ve cried enough!

13. I think Meredith will get Alzheimer’s. I always thought the show will end with Meredith getting Alzhiemer’s and it will be revealed that Meredith’s daughter was reading her mother’s journals the whole time.

14. JD says:

Can’t watch the video at work, but i have been assuming that at some point Meredith would at least find out that she had the alzhiemer’s gene. That would be a good way to get Derek back into the research that he had started, and that had been going pretty well until Meredith ruined it all. I still can’t believe he just dropped it like that, knowing that it was a possibility for her. Now that they’re over the incident, he can go back to his trials.

15. Babygate says:

Once the issue was raised again it became pretty clear that she would come out positive, otherwise it would have been terribly underwhelming and pointless. Still, it is a shock. Considering that Mer is not my favorite I did not expect the news to affect me but, wow, this is incredibly sad and it has actually brought tears to my eyes. Say what you will about Shonda but she still knows how to turn things on a dime… :-(

16. Tia says:

Hoping there’s more to the sneak… :(

17. even someone from the Netherlands watches this website.

18. carlydhudson says:

I assumed Meridith would be positive. I’m just hopeful she doesn’t pull a Violet (private practice) and have the baby and run off to a beach somewhere with tequila and Christina to live out her final years, or go stark crazy like Derek did after he survived the shooting incident. I’m feeling a ‘but’ coming at the end of this sentence. I’m hopeful as said above that Derek gets back into his research and has some miracle break through, but the pessimist in me is foreshadowing a series ending a flash forward of her alzheimery death scene. :(

19. Denise says:

Pretty sure she’s having a nightmare and this is a scene from her dream.

20. Jen Arrow says:

I’m also on Google Chrome on a PC, my browser is up-to-date, and I can’t see it either. I’m guessing this is a third-party video and there’s nothing TVLine can do to fix the situation, but just posting this here in case anyone with the capacity to fix is reading.

21. ana says:

hi, this is not the finale season no? I am watching from argentina!

22. Liana in San Diego says:

Everyone’s forgetting that neither she nor Patrick Dempsey are a lock to renew for next season…. they’ve said for some time now that they were ready to move on. This Alzheimer’s bit may be the door that lets them walk away, but with lots of drama, of course, or it wouldn’t be a Shonda Rimes show.

23. N says:

I saw it on Firefox on a Mac…..sad.

24. Amanda says:

They wouldn’t give you a sneak peak of Meredith testing positive for the gene unless there was a but! It’s just to big of a thing! Meredith’s whole life was about her mother and then about the fact of the Alzheimer’s gene she may have! It’s to big of a sneak peak for then to give unless there’s a but! There is deff going to be more to it!

25. Monica says:

That comment that someone said above about how they think Grey’s is gonna end.The one that Meredith will have Alzheimer’s and all of this time, her daughter has been reading her journals. That would be a total mind blow!! Oh yeah, and there is totally going to be a “but” , Shonda would never use something this big as a sneek preview…just think about it.

26. Jennifer says:

I had my hopes up for a minute that, as someone said about, it was a dream or nightmare she was having. Now I don’t think so. Meredith and Derek are wearing the same clothes in this scene as they are wearing in the scene in the stairwell that was in the CTV promo last week. I don’t argue that there is a but coming…I sure hope there is…but I don’t think this is a dream unfortunately.

27. Bethany says:

NOOOOOO NOOOO SHONDA NOOOO WHHHYYY NOPENOPENOPE

28. Nancy says:

No way would Shonda allow ABC to give it away in a promo that she has the Alzheimer’s gene and leave it at that. She would have a fit. Remember a few seasons back when they kept showing the promo where Meredith dreamed Derek died? Fans flipped out so much she made ABC stop showing the promo. So I don’t think she would let them get away with it this time. She is the spoiler nazi after all. And ABC knows it!

• Jennifer says:

I would have said that until I saw the second sneak peek. I honestly don’t see how they could be trying to fool us. We know everything now.

29. Kaycee says:

Get a grip people…testing positive for the gene is NOT a death sentence nor does it mean that she will absolutely come down with it. If she does that “usually” does not happen until people are much much older than what Meredith is now. Shondra knows this….that is why she’s allowing it to be aired. Think people…think!!!

30. Hege says:

Wow, this is crazy! I can’t wait to see what they have in store for us.. I just hope that Mer/Der have their happy ending, they’ve been through enough. Wish they could do something about Christina/Owen soon, now they’re just hanging in the air and doing.. well, nothing.. And PLEASE – for the love of me – put April and Jackson back together!…

• M says:

Yes Please!!! April just needs to see that she doesn’t need to find someone who’s been saving themselves in order to be Godly. Jackson loves her and April loves Jackson. Simple as that.

31. Dave says:

You know what topic they haven’t ever done, even though they’re cutting edge with gay rights and several other hot topics? Circumcision. If they’re having a boy that might be an interesting show or two, seeing as it’s a human rights issue.and its time for a mainstream discussion about it, not just embarrased news commentators. Each of the cast could have a different take on it pro or con.

32. Jenn says:

Uuuh. It’s getting interesting. But, hey, for those who dislike this storyline, I have to say that even if Mer has the gene, it probably wont change much, maybe Mer’s and Der’s thoughts on things, but now they know, and they can start working against it, so Mer might get the alzheimer when shes really old (and the show is probably over then).

And about Callie/Arizona, I don’t hate them but I don’t like them that much, I mean, there’s been too much of them, I have kind of got bored with them. And personally I like Arizona, she’s an interesting character and very human and in many situations I can relate to her.

33. Canadiangirl says:

There are numerous markers for alzheimers. Maybe Mer didn’t get the marker for early-onset, but just “normal” alzheimer’s. That one usually only affects people over age 65…so she and Derek could still have lots of happy years together, and allow for time for a cure to be found.

Or, like others have said, this could be a nightmare….like when she saw Derek dying in the start of S5…

34. Michael says:

I hope this show never ends…I will still be watching til season 12+

35. Harry says:

So what? I hate the Callie and Arizona story line too, but you have to wade through the crap to get to the good stuff with Mer and Der By the way I can’t stand Owen either! Netflix let’s me go back and watch George and Izzie.

36. Judy W Scott says:

Love, love the show!!!!!!! I hope it never ends!!!!!!!!

37. Susan says:

I am from England and I love the show I have all the DVD s it’s one of the only things I look forward to watching keep it going