Exclusive New Normal First Look: Will Bryan and David Name Their Son After a Breakfast Pastry?!

Get More: Exclusive, First Look, Video

The New Normal is closing out its freshman run with a pair of back-to-back episodes this Tuesday (NBC, 9/8c) — and we’ve got an exclusive glimpse at the first offering of the night, which finds the guys pondering names for their baby-to-be.

RELATED | 2013 TV Shows — Renewed or Cancelled?

Two monikers are on the table thus far: Julius and Thomas. Both decent enough, sure, but with the issue of whose last name the tot will take (if they go with Tom, he could end up being Tom Sawyer or have an English muffin as a namesake!), the process proves rather stressful. Add to that the fact that Bryan’s mom (guest star Mary Kay Place) is in on the decision-making, and that poor little boy may never receive a name!

Press PLAY below to experience the uncomfortable passive aggression, then hit the comments.

Comments (18)

• God this show is awful, I am ashamed as a gay man to have this material out there. This is Ryan Murphy at his worst. Yuk.

Comment by Frankie – April 1, 2013 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed.

Comment by Isak – April 1, 2013 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So bad. It’s just so bad. I can’t deal with how out of it’s way it goes to be gay, and I didn’t think it could get worse than Kurt Hubble. LGBT professor fifty years from now will be chastising Murphy for his portrayal of homosexuality and we all should be too. This isn’t normal, people.

Comment by B – April 1, 2013 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is there a Ryan Murphy at his best? Also as a gay man his stereotypes of gays are horrible and hurtful towards gay rights.

Comment by David4 – April 1, 2013 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • AHS is his best by far. And out of gay characters on that show, Lana’s the only one who I felt a connection with. As a gay man, I can’t say how well she represented lesbianism, but I enjoyed how she simply loved a woman. She wasn’t a total d-ke, but rather a regular girl. I’d love to see Murphy give that treatment to a gay male.

Comment by B – April 1, 2013 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m not a horror fan, so I have never seen it. He seems to write lesbian characters decently, but gay men, not to save his life. I think he writes all of them based on how he acts, and he’s a prick.

Comment by David4 – April 1, 2013 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I the only one who enjoys this series?

Comment by Eric – April 1, 2013 04:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • nope….love this series! think its amazing :)

Comment by mycatmidnite – April 1, 2013 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like the show, too.

Comment by Dylan – April 1, 2013 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like it, but I haven’t gotten to watch that many episodes. The timeslot is too crowded. Since the ABC comedies died and/or moved, I watch The Mindy Project and New Normal switching back and forth during ad breaks. I’m hoping I’ll get some chances to see reruns, too.

Comment by Martoukian – April 2, 2013 05:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nope.. I love this show. At first I didn’t love it, but as the season progressed, I really came to enjoy it.

Comment by Jimi – April 3, 2013 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ^ sec

Comment by Khwaish – April 1, 2013 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • tuned in to the pilot but left ten minutes in. just one of the worst shows but like Whitney NBC likes these sitcoms

Comment by dude – April 1, 2013 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • and i am not bashing the show as i am a long time fan of Murphy’s through the ups and downs of Nip Tuck

Comment by dude – April 1, 2013 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I genuinely like the show. I think it tackles the ups and downs of parenting and the trials and triumphs that gay people, like any people, face in their everyday lives.

Comment by Ella – April 1, 2013 11:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WOW people saying what I always felt. I never liked all the gay stereotypes and preaching that seemed to go to far and again saying it as a gay man. Kurt was one t hing – way too queeny but then Blaine seemed to balance it out..>But then he went way too far with Santana suddenly turning lesbian and then a cross dresser who is black too. We’re supposed to believe this is all happening in Lima Ohio and 99% OF PEOPLE are accepting and all of this in a 10 person glee club? Just weird. I loved the idea of New Normal when I heard of it and hoped it would again normalize gay people…But the show just hasnt been very funny…I watch and watch and never laugh. You have Ryan and Ali – openly gay parents and this is the best they can come up with. IT should be Modern Family like – something everyone can watch with the occasional gay storyline but again its way too much. But MF doesnt do much better. Eric Stonestreets character is the typical gay stereotype that people laugh at. I swear Ive never met anyone like Cam in my entire life. While Mitch isnt the most butch gay, he at least is more normal of the queenier set. on NN, we of course get the queeny one and then the ‘butch’ one isnt that butch..And we get Nene being Nene…The Boy Scout episode felt so preachy that I cant imagine many straight people not turning the channel, especially since it wasnt funny. You have to do this type of show and make it funny. Why arent there writers and producers like in the day of All in The Family? In the day of all those classic sitcoms; it seems since Cosby , we just dont get them anymore and I cant believe that people in the 2010s arent as creative as 40-50 years ago.

Comment by Steve – April 2, 2013 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ok so you actually believe that the “Cosby” show and “All in The Family” were good??? Its amazing that you can utter those words. I assume that you wish all of us to stay out of sight like we were then, this show is Humorous for those that aren’t tight asses and hung up on public perception. We as a group of people have come so far from the stereotype that you assert this show perpetuates that you should be able to see the humor and over the top antics. Sounds as if you are uncomfortable and this show makes you more uncomfortable…..this is your hang up personally along with a handful of others here…sooooo sad that you guys are still so hidden behind the curtain….learn to laugh at yourself first then maybe you can see the humor in others.

Comment by Joel Kent – May 12, 2013 06:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The reason a number of posts here are so glad “New Normal” is being cancelled, and using the guise that the portrayal of gay men is not accurate on this is show is the most idiotic thing I have ever heard. When someone is uncomfortable with who they are they tend to be overly sensitive to anything that they view as stereotypical. Many in the gay community don’t like looking at themselves as they are, not the perception they have created in their minds as to who they are.. As a high profile professional gay male, I love the show and look at a great bit of the show with humor and it also at times makes me stop and think about the underlying message on accepting yourself, the people around you and how to be positive no matter what. Sorry to see it go, but hope that it lands on cable, NBC is on its deathbed and I for one am ready to never watch the network again with this most recent round of cancellations, so good bye to NBC.

Comment by Joel Kent – May 12, 2013 05:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post