Castle Episode 100 Recap: Murder, Mystery, Party — Plus: Show Boss Answers Burning Questions

Get More: Recaps

Castle Season 5 Recap -- Episode 100The following recap, by the very definition of the word “recap,” contains spoilers from the 100th episode of ABC’s Castle.

This week’s Castle, to mark the ABC drama’s milestone episode, deposited birthday boy Rick in a wheelchair in his apartment, thus depriving him and lady love Kate of a Bora Bora getaway.

RELATED | ABC Season Finale Dates — Castle, Grey’s Anatomy, Once Upon a Time and Others

Instead, Castle was left to tough out his last weeks of recuperation from a broken kneecap, while Beckett & Co. delved into the sketchy caught-on-camera murder of an IRS investigator. Equipped with binoculars gifted to him by daughter Alexis — and reeled in by a none-too-subtle cue from Esposito — Castle soon becomes fixated on the goings-on of a couple in a neighboring apartment building, where the guy (seemingly) caught wind of his gal’s infidelity and (seemingly) knifed her to death in the bedroom.

Coming up well shy of any smoking gun/Ginsu to support his theory, Castle has a tough time getting Kate on board — especially after Ryan and Esposito (seemingly) question the guy in the apartment. Plus, the detectives claim to have spoken on the phone with the murder victim, who merely had gone off to her mother’s. Castle nonetheless smells something fishy, later witnessing his subject don a gas mask and lug bleach into the (unseen) bedroom, and carry away a rolled-up carpet.

Enlisting Alexis for his endeavor, Castle hobbles next door and sneaks into the neighbor’s apartment to retrieve the shredded contents of the “dead” girlfriend’s purse. Instead, all Rick comes away with is a receipt for a storage locker — in which he and a “reluctantly” dragged-along Kate find… nothing. Nothing but a subsequent talking-to from Captain Gates, after they got pinched by a security guard.

Even so, Rick is resolved to drawing out this cold-blooded killer, after deducing that the chopped-up ex was stashed in the fridge. Desperate to put the issue to rest — if only so that they might get on with Rick’s birthday dinner! — Kate pays the guy a visit. Rick watches as Kate receives a less-than-warm welcome once she makes tracks for the refrigerator. Seeing a melee ensue, Rick calls in the troops and they all storm the apartment… where a surprise party awaits the birthday boy.

RELATED | TVLine’s 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled?

Yep, Kate — appreciating how cooped-up and bored and hapless Rick felt — had arranged for this elaborate Rear Window-themed bit of entertainment, with help from some of Martha’s acting students. (Having been slightly spoiled for the episode, it was easy to figure out Martha’s involvement.) Rick’s reaction to being roped in by the ruse: “This is… without a doubt… the greatest birthday gift of my life!”

Later, after the invalid unwittingly helps Kate crack her real case, Rick expresses again how touched he was by the gesture. “What you did for me…. Nobody’s ever done that for me before. That was… epic.” He then warns, “But you do know I will now have to get you back.”

“Oh, you think you can top that?”

“Just you wait and see,” he teases, as he carries her — via wheelchair — into the bedroom.

CLICK TO PAGE 2 for More Episode 100 Observations — Plus: Show Boss Andrew W. Marlowe Answers Some Burning Questions

Pages: 1 2

Tags: ,

Comments (208)

• does anyone realize that kate lied to castle the whole episode and made castle think she could have died? this was a sub-par episode at best and i love castle and caskett

Comment by william j mazza – April 2, 2013 02:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just what I said yeah.

Comment by Eli – April 2, 2013 03:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Have you never thrown a surprise party for someone? You kinda have to “lie to them” in order to keep the secret.

Comment by Maria – April 2, 2013 04:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m not talking about the party. i’m talking about the fact that he thought she was in danger and could be dead and she made rune/hop across the street where he could have gotten hurt. yes i do know that in order to throw a surprise party that you haft to lie to someone to throw it

Comment by william j mazza – April 2, 2013 05:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Have you ever watched Castle before? Do you remember when she asked him how he became fascinated with death and he made up the story about the boy on the beach? Castle loved the prank, because that is who he is. It was perfect!

Comment by Lisa – April 2, 2013 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i do rememebr that but that was only a story not played out for real in front of her. it was only a story

Comment by william j mazza – April 2, 2013 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • William you and Eli can join forces to discuss how much you hated it and how offensive it was, how ignorant we are etc, The rest of us will go along our merry way and talk about how flipping amazing it was and that we truly don’t care what you think.

Comment by Dmac – April 2, 2013 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Please do not put words in my mouth, I never said you or anyone else was ignorant in any way.

Comment by william j mazza – April 2, 2013 10:45 AM PDT
  • As a Hitchcock fanatic I have to say this Castle episode is now my all time favorite. Even the music was fantastic.

Comment by TVDIVA – April 2, 2013 02:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still have a big smile on my face, amazing episode!!

Comment by Astrid – April 2, 2013 02:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That was seriously one of the most enjoyable hours of t.v. I’ve ever seen. It was like all of my favorite parts of the show rolled into one amazing episode. Incredibly funny, sweet and charming.

Comment by Becca – April 2, 2013 05:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i never saw the bday party coming. i thought they were going to pull the dream sequence routine. i thought it was an epic episode. so very very Castle in every way.

Comment by psychichleaking – April 2, 2013 05:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So. Much. Fun. I am going to go back and re-watch, and see if I can pick up any clues that should have tipped me off to the fact that a surprise party was in store.

Congrats, Andrew, Terri, Nathan, Stana, and the whole Castle family on 100 episodes. I wouldn’t have missed it for the world.

Comment by Maria – April 2, 2013 05:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My husband & I started saying to each other before the half hour mark, “do you think this is a ruse?” Then, with that in mind, we started seeing how things could go either way. When Kate went down to talk to the “boyfriend” on the street, it didn’t show her question him. We were pretty sure then so it just became more funny. Excellent episode! :)

Comment by Kim R – April 2, 2013 05:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this was pretty subpar episode

Comment by william j mazza – April 2, 2013 05:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, you said that already. You’ve made your point, and you’re clearly in the minority. Now you just sound like you’re trolling, so let it go dude.

Comment by mysteriousmystery – April 2, 2013 07:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • not ment to be trolling was just trying to make a point is all. I knew i would be in the minority when i thought this. It just mean i like the show maybe a little too much i think. same thing happend with chuck for too.

Comment by william j mazza – April 2, 2013 07:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the whole “Rear Window scenario as a birthday present” was a great idea for a mystery writer, especially Castle. But only to a point. For me, the offensive part was when the plot involved having Castle *watch as Beckett is assaulted by the murderer with a knife* — and then the lights go out.

For me, that crosses from a good prank to outright cruelty, especially when you consider that the guy had to rescue his kidnapped daughter a few weeks ago, not to mention that he was the target of a serial killer’s frame-up a few months back. Hasn’t he had enough to deal with? Watching the death of a loved one just does not sit right with me, so… no.

Comment by Malachi – April 2, 2013 05:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • thank you. this is my point. the whole episode was good until the point where he was watching her get hurt/murdered

Comment by william j mazza – April 2, 2013 05:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You do realize that Castle thrives on living in the danger zone, right? He’s an adrenaline junkie. He wouldn’t need to shadow a detective for this long if he didn’t crave the danger.

Comment by lyn – April 2, 2013 06:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I know he likes the danger zone but making him think she was hurt ain’t funny no matter how you do it, if it’s ment to be a joke. I still cant belive a tv show does this to me. must mean i really like the show then

Comment by william j mazza – April 2, 2013 07:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • He thought she was in danger for all of 5 or 10 minutes before Ryan and Espo got there and kicked open the door. And it’s not like she hasn’t been in danger on regular cases before and will be on future cases. She’s a cop, for heaven’s sake. She’s in danger whenever she goes to work.

Comment by Katherine215 – April 2, 2013 07:29 AM PDT
          • You are taking this far too seriously.

Comment by TV Gord – April 2, 2013 05:19 PM PDT
  • Loved it! Had no idea it was a joke – never saw it coming! I think some of the critics here need to lighten up a bit – it’s tv, it’s supposed to be fun! What I keep wondering is how they knew when Castle would be looking across the street to start the show – he “tuned in” just as the couple started kissing, saw the husband come home, etc. – he always managed to be looking at the right time – even 3 a.m. – how did they know he’d not fall asleep and miss some of what they planned? How did they know he’d not be able to get pix or video of what was going on for proof? Not that it all matters that much – loved it anyway!!

Comment by Kimmie – April 2, 2013 06:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe they had a Teddy cam on him and took turns monitoring it.

Comment by lyn – April 2, 2013 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Congratulations, you uncovered one out of a 100 plotholes in this episode, if you discover the remaining 99 you win a prize! ;)

Comment by Eli – April 2, 2013 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Will you just STOP with the criticizing already?! Can’t you see that not a soul here is interested in what you’re saying? Rather than focussing on the negatives and “100 plotholes” try to see how amazing this episode was. And if you can’t then leave us in peace and go plothole hunting somewhere else.

Comment by Krithika – April 2, 2013 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You are immensely clever and I bet you are a lot of fun to be around….said no one ever.

Comment by Dmac – April 2, 2013 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved every minute of it. A real tip of the hat to fans, and I dearly love Marlowe and Edda for this. This is what TV can be when done right, and it was great fun.

Comment by Mel – April 2, 2013 07:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I copped to the set up when Kate asked Castle if he wanted something to drink “from the fridge” That’s when I realized that she was running the show.

Comment by sue – April 2, 2013 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Good point!! I didnt realize that.

Comment by Audrey – April 2, 2013 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, the “from the fridge” was a good giveaway! Castle had watched the guy look at the fridge, then go to the cupboard for the can, but he didn’t pick up on it, so Kate had to emphasize it so he’d get it!

Comment by Jan – April 4, 2013 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • good one, sue, totally missed it!!

Comment by jn613 – April 16, 2013 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best Episode Ever! Loved it. And I can’t see why Castle would have a problem with it. For an average person, yes. But Castle loves danger and mystery and intrigue and boy was it the best bday present for him.

Still smiling over the Charles’ Angels pose.

Loved every minute of it.

Comment by casgirl3 – April 2, 2013 07:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree, it was the perfect bday present for Castle!

Comment by Becca – April 2, 2013 07:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think this was the best episode this season because it contained many of the elements of earlier seasons that made the show fast-paced and fun (which seem to have been kinda lost over the past two seasons). I get that it was a take-off on Rear Window. And I realize Marlowe has never been a stickler for absolute reality in his scripts. But still, the notion that such an elaborate prank could be pulled off where Castle just happened to be watching when all the critical events unfolded is a little hard to accept. Also hard to believe is the whole notion that Castle was truly immobile for this ruse to play out. I mean, if Castle could get himself across the street and break into an apartment without assistance, the idea that he’d even be home when some of the key events played out stretches credibility. And since all the main characters were in on the joke, it seems odd that none of the dialogue that referenced Castle and his alleged witness to a murder ever tipped the plot. It was a fun show. I enjoyed it. But there never was any believable suspense because the whole plot was shaky from the beginning. Rear Window had just as many questionable elements, but Hitchcock made it all seem believable. My suspension of believe kept getting interrupted in this episode by things that just seemed too ridiculous to accept.

Lastly, the Caskett bed scene was kind of funny. I understand it’s supposed to be wholesome family entertainment, but really? People wear less to bed on camping trips. These two would have been overdressed if they were on an expedition to the Arctic Circle. Surely there’s enough money in the budget to buy Stana Katic some sexy lingerie. If not, can we take up a collection?

Comment by Tom – April 2, 2013 07:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As posted above, I think that they had a hidden camera keeping tabs on Castle when he was alone, so they could time the scenes across the street. Martha, Alexis, acting students etc. could take turns monitoring his activities to judge when they were “on”. When they saw him crash the helicopter, they could assume he’d turn to the windows etc.

Comment by lyn – April 2, 2013 07:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And a camera probably isn’t even necessary. I’m sure they could have watched him with binoculars of their own, and replayed “scenes” if he missed them. Also, they knew when Alexis was going over, so I’m sure they planned to have drama unfold while she was there.

Comment by Katherine215 – April 2, 2013 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The bed scene and attire was pretty typical both of a couple whose been together the better part of a year and of the characters. When you look at past seasons/episodes Castle’s sleepwear last night is consistent with what we’ve seen before, same goes for Becket.

Comment by Nicademus11 – April 2, 2013 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Is this your excuse to see Stana Katic in a sexy lingerie? If so, I feel ya, bud.

Comment by Audrey – April 2, 2013 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We’re worried that people are overdressed on television now? Really? We’ve gone from complaining about risque television to complaining about demure sleeping attire? I thought this was brilliant from the set-up to the reveal.

Comment by vincent dante – April 2, 2013 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • simply. great show. will be watching again and again.

Comment by mary webb – April 2, 2013 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OK I am curious about Easter Eggs. I have only watched it once, but here’s what I caught in the process (some of which was outlined above) Also, Matt M. can you clarify the ‘pause button’ Easter Egg? I am not sure what you are referring to now that I have seen the episode.

1) Charlie’s Angels pose
    2) 100 in the title card
    3) The window shots with the writers as “writers”
    4) toy helicopter
    5) Castle’s book headshot in Kate’s phone
    6) Zero Dark Thirty reference, before helicopter crashes
    7) All the Rear Window references: from Kate’s outfit, going to the apt like Kelly’s character did.
    8) Hitchcock nods – the victim was Mrs. DeWinter (nod to Rebecca), Marlowe being in the shot.
    9) Going back to a storage unit (a recurring trip over the many seasons)
    10) the banner in the apt. says Happy Birthday Castle (as opposed to Rick).
    11) The 100 crimes toast in the last scene.

I know there had to be others I missed along the way… whose got em?

Comment by Nicademus11 – April 2, 2013 07:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Some easter eggs I caught:
      -Martha tells Kate, “He’s all yours” like Kyra tells Kate in A Rose for Ever After
      -I thought the helicopter was also a reference to the Nikki Heat books, because Rook plays with one a lot in the books
      -The esplainie comment as a nod to Esposito/Lanie
      -the popcorn while Rick and Alexis were watching out the window reminded me of Reality Star Struck

I was wondering if anyone knew the reference for the maid stealing money from a drawer, and then RIck saying it better be for a sick child was. I figured there had to be a purpose in that bit.

I need to watch it again and make a list. I can’t remember any of the others I noticed last night.

Comment by Wendykw – April 2, 2013 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Katharine reference had several purposes. To show she is part of Castle’s family (as pointed out by others), and also because the character is named after Katharine Hepburn, down to the middle name of Houghton (Hepburn’s middle name). The show pays homagethe Thin Man series and the Hepburn/Tracy movies with its fast paced dialogue, character swordplay, etc., along with a nod to MASH and other shows that deal with serious subject matter with a deft comedic hand. Well played writers!

Comment by Ann Neumann – April 3, 2013 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Just so no one reads this and thinks its fact, Kate’s middle name has never been confirmed, no matter what Wikipedia says ;)

Comment by Kida – April 4, 2013 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • If you go to youtube and type in An Evening With Castle USC and watch the interview with Stana Katic and Andrew Marlowe I believe in this interview it is said that her middle name is in fact Houghton so it has been confirmed

Comment by Emily Hansen – April 5, 2013 06:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matt…you didn’t mention that tiny esplanie adorableness? ;) Great episode! Lots of fun. loved it.

Comment by Esplanie Fans. (@Esplanie_Org) – April 2, 2013 08:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I did not figure it out, ever. My husband didn’t either. It was such a fun episode, to be taken surprise, totally. We were with Rick, all the way, at the end screaming , “What!?” right with him.

Comment by prish – April 2, 2013 08:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love how Marlowe puts in these ‘Easter Eggs’ and ‘Where’s Waldo’ references. If you watch earlier episodes you’ll notice he has done this since the beginning of the series. you can always connect happenings from earlier episodes to more recent ones. its like when Beckett and Castle find the room in “Linchpin” that has all the strings attached linking one event to another. wish i had the opportunity to string these all together. maybe one day i will.

great story telling and he is keeping our minds active/guessing what he will reference in future episodes. thank you AM.

Comment by K – April 2, 2013 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree, Gates knows. I think that’s why she’s warming up to Castle as well. Heck I wouldn’t be shocked if we found out Gates husband was her partner in her rookie days.

My opinion, anyway

Comment by PPPG – April 2, 2013 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The body possibly being in the freezer/refrigerator was also a nod to season one, A Chill Goes Through Her Veins.

Comment by Rachel Berlage – April 2, 2013 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Or it could have been a nod to “The Third Man” when Castle finds the body in the fridge.

Comment by Wendykw – April 2, 2013 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This line is a nod to the I love Lucy Show. Castle says “uh-oh someone’s got some splain’ to do” when the “boyfriend” finds the hat of the “other guy” in the bedroom….

Comment by ChuckMe Forever – April 2, 2013 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the episode was awesome. i dont know how many times I have watched this episode already…i mean the caskett scenes, the suspense…the “love” so great. thanks nathan/stana/andrew/rest of castle crew for an amazing 100 episodes and here is to 100 more

Comment by leriam10 – April 2, 2013 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved this episode. It was alot of fun. I hope I’m not the only one who saw it (the set-up “murder”) coming a mile away, right at the very beginning of the episode, or even before. (Don’t clobber me for it please!). That did not spoil it for me at all though, maybe it made it more fun for me, seeing how the dialogue would fit etc. Kate to Esposito: He’s taking this a little too seriously. Esposito: Should we be worried? And Kate going downstairs to “question” the “other man”, introducing herself and flashing her badge, then cutting back to Castle’s place so we don’t hear any of their exchange, etc. I’m not a very trusting person, maybe even jaded, and Castle after all WAS bored, getting impatient and frustrated, his birthday WAS coming up soon, and we already had our real murder they at the precinct were dealing with. I also liked that Castle played angry about it at first, and can’t wait to see how he will “get even” with Kate for this. Such a fun episode!

Comment by april-ann – April 2, 2013 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Another “easter egg” maybe: when Castle looked on his phone – time was 3:13am, reference to 3×13 and the first castle&beckett kiss?

Comment by Sarah – April 2, 2013 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES, that’s what 3:13 was! Good catch. I knew it was the 47th episode, but the math didn’t add up… because I forgot Season 1 was short.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – April 2, 2013 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well that’s just an impressive catch. I was wondering about the relevance of showing the time, but would have never come up wit it.

Comment by Nicademus11 – April 2, 2013 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree, that’s impressive. At first I thought 3:13 was ep 3×13, because at one point in an episode around that time (but it probably wasn’t that one) I think someone talks about shooting someone’s kneecap off. But the first kiss is much more important and I didn’t think of that!

Comment by april-ann – April 2, 2013 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I´m taking my hat to you; it never crossed my mind:)

Comment by Mary – April 2, 2013 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVED IT !!!! BEST EPISODE EVER !!!!

Comment by Lilu – April 2, 2013 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Insanely good. Incredibly well-written and just so… Castle. Every moment was unexpected, and yet, completely plausible. The episode held quite a few awww-worthy moments, but the little things between Caskett were the cherry on top. Without a doubt, a perfect 100.

Comment by May – April 2, 2013 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually *did* see the reveal coming. As soon as the synopsis was revealed and it also being Rick’s birthday, I flashed to him and Kate on the Valentine’s Day episode with Rick telling Kate, “ooo, you got me a fake murder for Valentine’s Day? You know me so well.” I was hoping this episode would go that way, and they were so clever about it! Love how they tied so much in and appreciated all the nods to past episodes. It was truly a delight seeing the show honored in such a fantastic way.

Comment by Klover – April 2, 2013 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Beautiful episode and has now replaced Knockout as the second best episode EVER(First being Always). I loved how Kate was nearly about to cry when it seemed as though Castle hated her surprise and I gotta say, Caskett has had more romantic moments in this episode than the whole of Season 5 combined. Hats off to Marlowe and team for this epicness

P.S: Was I delusional and/or deaf or did Kate actually use the words “I” and “Love” and “You” and “Castle” in the same sentence?????

Comment by Krithika – April 2, 2013 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She did. Now she just needs to take out all the words she used in between them, and replace “Castle” with “Rick.”

Comment by Maria – April 2, 2013 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not everyone says those 3 words but show love in other ways and not everyone needs to hear it to know they are loved. Also, calling by last name becomes a nick name when everyone else calls you both by your first name.

Comment by Suz – April 2, 2013 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watched three times and now and still amazed. Everything was perfect. Pace, story, acting. Loved how Castle reacted when Beckett said ‘one of the things I love about you’. He said “wow”, then turned around and saw her and said “wow” again. It was such a nice moment.

Comment by Lisa – April 2, 2013 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For those who thought Castle thinking Beckett could have been “killed,” I’m sure the fictional characters carrying out a fictional melodrama as part of a ruse for a birthday gift will be gratified to learn that you cared so much.

They had to get Castle back over to the apartment. He wasn’t going to go unless something compelled him to go, and at that point in the ruse, only Beckett in “danger” would have done so. She knew that he’d call Esposito and Ryan, who were in on it and could control the situation if Castle did something stupid.

Castle, for all the reasons already stated, loved the surprise. And yet some refuse to allow that to suffice. Seriously, some people just want to be naysayers regardless of the situation.

Comment by skrable2 – April 2, 2013 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Believe it or not, I am aware that the characters here are fictional. But just because they are fictional does not absolve them from being *believable.* Something this cruel was hard for me to find believable. We know from the episode with the mummy’s curse that Castle likes pranks, but there are limits to such things. I just happen to think that making the poor guy watch his girlfriend get “murdered” in front of him is too much. Perhaps there is some gallows humor here, that homicide detectives might not think anything of staging the death of a loved one. But for me, at least, this aspect was jarring, to put it mildly. Otherwise, it was a pretty enjoyable episode.

Comment by Malachi – April 2, 2013 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well, clearly Castle doesn’t see things the same way you do, because he loved it…and it seems perfectly in character to me.

Comment by TV Gord – April 2, 2013 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you!! Instead of analyzing every bit of this, like it’s an assignment from a former college professor, I chose to just watch and enjoy it for the fictional story it is. And it turned out to be my new favorite Castle episode ever, with Always and Knockout in 2nd and 3rd place.

Comment by Maria – April 2, 2013 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i don’t know if it has a meaning, but when Castle and Beckett go to that storage, there is the number 319 on the outside of the storage, and ehm, Beckett took Castle out to their first (movie) date at the end of 3×19. or maybe its just my imagination. ;)

Comment by Sarah – April 2, 2013 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • normally i think that a show should advance the ongoing story with milestone episodes like this but this was good enough for me to forget that. really good story, mystery was strong and the character interaction was great.
    i noticed the establishing shot of the precinct from the pilot straight away but i didnt get any of the others listed here.

Comment by Alan – April 2, 2013 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kate’s life has been defined by her mom being stabbed and killed. How am I supposed to believe that she thought this was a good idea? And am I really supposed to believe that Rick went from “you made me think you were dying!” to “this is awesome!” in the matter of a few seconds? Sorry, but they went REALLY out of character in this episode. It was great until it turned out to be a surprise party. That part ruined it for me.

Comment by Charley – April 2, 2013 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Would you care for some sugar for those grapes?

Comment by lyn – April 2, 2013 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I disagree about it being out of character for Castle. It seems exactly in character to me. He loves the rush and the thrill of danger. I believe he also thought Kate is too good a cop to possibly not extricate herself from the situation. It wasn’t as dire as, say, Alexis being kidnapped. It was another typical day for Kate and Rick.

Comment by TV Gord – April 2, 2013 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • To everyone commenting on Castle being out of character. If I remember correctly in the Valentines day episode, Castle asks Beckett whether her gift to him was a complex murder where nothing makes sense, because if so, it would be the best present ever.

Looks like Beckett knows Castle pretty damn well. And yes it took Castle a second to wrap his mind around the epicness of what Beckett and co pulled off. I have been watching from the beginning and so for me, there is no doubt the Castle’s reaction was pure, authentic Richard Castle.

Comment by Steph – April 2, 2013 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really had no idea that it was a ruse. I should have know since it was April Fools Day. It was also the first time since the Target/Hunt episodes that Martha, Alexas, and Gates on been seen. I am glad that Alexas seem to be okay emotionally after her kidnapping.

With only 5 episodes left and the magic 100 is behind us, I have a feeling that things are going to get serious. Please. Marlowe, don’t break up Caskett. Keep them together forever. I have read that this season is the most-watched season for Castle and like to think it because Rick and Kate are together finally. Don’t destroy that by breaking them up.

Comment by Jason – April 2, 2013 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was so much fun!! definitely the coolest Castle epi!! Epic sums up pretty nicely ;)

Comment by onlyakb – April 2, 2013 09:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was one of the best episodes that I have seen in TV ever and I have been watching a long time. I can generally point out who did it or what is going on in the first 5-10 minutes. I went through this whole episode and did not get what was going on. Tremendous writing, acting, and directing. I have re-watched the episode and still could not find any real “tells” giving away what was going on. I hope they do solve another 100+ murders because this show is worth watching.

Comment by JS – April 3, 2013 06:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So now that I’ve done a second viewing of the 100th episode I realize what I really loved about it. The overt display of the emotional intimacy these two characters have built towards. I’ve said it elsewhere, but for me that throwaway moment when Kate kisses her hand and places it on his leg before heading out the door was such a great little moment and this episode was peppered with them.

What strikes me most (in particular given the discussion around the suprise for people who didn’t like the episode) is the idea that Castle was a man who started the series bemoaning the predictability in his life of excess (why he kills off Derek Storm) and whose grand gestures have played out over the course of the seasons (the $100k for the kidnapping, starting the scholarship in Beckett’s mother’s name, buying the Old Haunt) could be so visibly humbled by a similar gesture in return from the woman who was the key to taking him out of that predictability was so gratifying to watch as a fan. The show has built a family around it’s supporting cast and the central love affair that as a viewer I have become so wonderfully invested in and I look forward to the rest of the journey that Marlowe and co. take us on in the future. Kudos all around.

Comment by Nicademus11 – April 3, 2013 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So well expressed! Castle is the guy “who has everything” or who can buy everything for himself. So, what do you give someone like that? Both of the gifts we’ve seen Kate give Castle this season (the drawer for Valentine’s Day and now a murder mystery to solve) have not been something she’s bought, but something she’s given from the heart. They weren’t “things” that he could buy for himself. Absolutely loved this episode!

Comment by Jan – April 4, 2013 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • nicely summarized, nicademus11. i still would have expected castle to be a bit more upset that kate had caused him to worry, but i guess that’s me projecting how i would react to being duped in to thinking someone i love is in danger. as the others have pointed out, such a gift was exactly what the doctor ordered, perfectly fitting castle’s character. i guess that kate’s look of concern when rick was digesting what just happened at the reveal is her realizing how he might have been traumatized from seeing her in danger, but then she was relieved when he was as thrilled with the gift as she’d hoped he would be.

Comment by jn613 – April 16, 2013 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Over the TOP great!. I did not see that coming. I am still smiling.

Comment by monieet – April 3, 2013 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This episode was amazing. What cracks me up is that the fans have paid so much attention to the Easter Eggs that they didn’t see the reveal coming beforehand. During the Valentine’s episode Rick got excited thinking his gift from Kate was a fake murder that made no sense. “You know me so well.” -Castle
    Kate took note!

Comment by Kida – April 4, 2013 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As a newbie I’m sticking my neck out giving an opinion. I thought the ep was great, surprising, and very entertaining. Still catching up with reruns but my favorite rerun so far was Blue Butterfly. The costuming was great. As a limited tv viewer I don’t see it that often.

Comment by Dory – April 6, 2013 08:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How many more eps in season 5? When is the finale?

Comment by Dory – April 6, 2013 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 5 episodes left and the finale is May 13th

Comment by Emily Hansen – April 7, 2013 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thank you Emily. Very kind of you. I will tune in to everyone plus any reruns I can catch.

Comment by Dory – April 7, 2013 09:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow I really didnt see it coming. Lol @ the charlie’s angels. It was defintely a different kind of Castle episode.

Comment by Danielle H. – April 9, 2013 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post