Castle Episode 100 Recap: Murder, Mystery, Party — Plus: Show Boss Answers Burning Questions

Get More: Recaps

Castle_Episode100_MarloweEpisode 100′s quotables and observations:

* Series creator Andrew W. Marlowe making a Hitchcock-like cameo, with wife Terri Edda Miller, as the writers Rick first trains his binoculars on

* The Castle title card strobing the number 100, and the pen’s spilled red ink spelling out “100.”

* As Kate hugs Rick after confronting him about his “obsession,” she lets slip a knowing smile that he can’t see.

* Beckett’s Caller ID photo for Castle was Nathan Fillion’s Season 1 portrait

* “How many murders do you think we’ve solved since we met?” “Maybe 100 or so…?” “Here’s to 100 more” — Nielsens allowing.

* Kinda obvious the real case’s security camera footage was a set-up; as Beckett noted, the vic conspicuously never revealed any tell-tale features

* At first I thought Rick was a bit mean by responding to Gate’s absence from the party with “Good,” but then I realized they needed to (albeit illogically) keep her out of the scene so that Caskett could embrace and such. But really, what bill of goods was the captain sold to account for this elaborate charade/gift? Let’s all assume she absolutely knows what’s up by now, ‘K?

* RySposito striking 2/3 of the Charlie’s Angels pose in the doorway

* “I caught him red-handed! Literally red-handed!”

* “Look at me. He’s gonna let me in.” — Dolled-up Kate, when Rick questions if the “killer” will invite her inside. Indeed.

RELATED | May Sweeps Scorecard: Deaths, Weddings, Break-Ups, Sex, Firings and More!

During Castle’s West Coast broadcast, Marlowe answered some burning questions and shared other “wink-winks” via Twitter. Such as:

* The “body” rolled in the rug was a nod to a Season 1 episode.

* His favorite line from the hour: “‘When you do it, it’s an illegal search. when I do, it’s just illegal.’ Love that Castle logic.”

* The neighbor’s apartment, including the windows/immediate exterior, was its own set on a soundstage.

* A stock shot of the 12th precinct’s exterior was recycled from the series pilot.

* Yes, Marlowe & Co. knew the episode would air on April 1 aka April Fool’s Day before the wrote it.

* What were Marlowe and his wife talking about in their cameo? “How we shouldn’t be actors!”

* Will the issue of Gates knowing (or not, as if) be addressed? “Yes. Soon.”

* Will Kate call Castle “Rick” anytime soon? “Just you wait.”

* Will there ever be a Castle/Beckett baby? “How many season do we get?”

* Though Beckett at one point refers in passing to “one of the things I love about you,” will she ever specifically say those three little words to Rick? Again, Marlowe responded: “Just you wait.”

What did you think of Episode 100? At what point did you suspect that Castle was being played? And did you spy any other “Easter eggs” in the episode?

Pages: 1 2

Tags: ,

Comments (208)

• EPIC!!!!!!! Best ep EVER!!!!!!!!

Comment by c-mo – April 1, 2013 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree… I will be rewatching this episode a couple of 100 times

Comment by eridapo – April 1, 2013 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agree! Very epic!

Comment by shuayb – April 2, 2013 02:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Epic episode was EPIC!!!!

Probably top two ever for me, after “Always”. Great job by everyone involved.

Comment by Lisa – April 2, 2013 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • think the whole “Rear Window scenario as a birthday present” was a great idea for a mystery writer, especially Castle. But only to a point. For me, the offensive part was when the plot involved having Castle *watch as Beckett is assaulted by the murderer with a knife* — and then the lights go out.

For me, that crosses from a good prank to outright cruelty, especially when you consider that the guy had to rescue his kidnapped daughter a few weeks ago, not to mention that he was the target of a serial killer’s frame-up a few months back. Hasn’t he had enough to deal with? Watching the death of a loved one just does not sit right with me, so… no.
      Comment by Malachi – April 2, 2013 05:43 AM PDT

I’m just reposting this posting in which i agree with!!!!!

Comment by william j mazza – April 2, 2013 05:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i also would have expected castle to be a bit more peeved at kate for letting him believe she was in mortal danger.

Comment by jn – April 16, 2013 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I absolutely loved it… Felt good after watching….

Comment by Carol – April 2, 2013 08:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Absolutely LOVED this episode. It was definitely one of the best this season and of any season. I’ll probably be re-watching this many, many times. I didn’t see the surprise party coming at all! Both the episode and surprise was brilliantly executed. And Andrew W. Marlowe and Terri Edda Miller did a great job with the writing!

Comment by rachelle – April 1, 2013 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • BEST CASTLE EVER!!!!

Comment by Angela Griffin – April 4, 2013 08:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I must be dumber than soup, because I didn’t trip to it until just when the lights came back on. I did love Esposito and Ryan doing the CA pose.

Comment by lyn – April 1, 2013 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i didn’t know it was a set up either! (which in my opinion was the GREAT thing about it!!) I kept trying to wrack my brain all episode as to how Rear Window ended to see if I could figure out what was going on! lol

Comment by Mallory – April 2, 2013 05:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too – really never saw it coming

Comment by Darcy Rajotte – April 2, 2013 06:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was surprised too! The whole time I was thinking it was going to be tied to Beckett’s case, like the guy had killed the IRS agent too. But I was definitely glad I didn’t figure it out, made it even more fun to watch!

Comment by Becca – April 2, 2013 06:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t feel bad Lyn, I’m dumb and dumber because I didn’t see it coming until the light came on too. I guess I was overwhelmed by all the CASKETT moments. LOL

Comment by Julie Andrews Smith – April 2, 2013 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i had an idea they might do that but i was convinced that it was a real murder and that the real case was connected right until the lights went out. the charlies angels pose was hilarious, i had to pause the episode i was laughing that hard.

Comment by Alan – April 2, 2013 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Me, too… I figured it out when the lights went out. And just as they were about to open the door, I guessed that it was going to be a surprise party. I loved it, and they really had me up until the last moment, which is great!

Comment by Erin – April 2, 2013 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First time watching Castle in awhile, and will be watching on a regular basis again.

Comment by Mike – April 1, 2013 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • loved the rear window gift didnt see that coming at all till after they broke the door in. but why did they have castle sleeping on the busted knee side. but yeah more caskett moments.

Comment by ollie – April 1, 2013 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Haha! I, too, noticed he was sleeping on it. Feasible, perhaps, but not ideal.

Comment by 4theloveoffilm – April 2, 2013 12:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • To get out of bed, he needs to place his good leg on the floor first so it must be on the side.

Comment by Suz – April 2, 2013 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The name of the real case victim was “Mrs. DeWinter”. A nod to “Rebecca”. And Kate’s dress at the end was a knock off of the one Grace Kelly wore in “Rear Window”.

I may watch a LOT of Hitchcock.

Comment by Cary Begole – April 1, 2013 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re right on that.
      And I’m trying to understand why Martha called Kate as Katharine at least 2 times. Can’t remember that she had done that before.

Comment by Amanda – April 1, 2013 09:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I figured Martha calls her Katherine for the reason she calls RIck Richard–that’s how Martha does it. Did you catch Martha’s line: He’s all yours. Reminded me of Kyra telling Kate that in A Rose for Everafter.

Comment by Wendykw – April 2, 2013 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • yeah i found the katherine thing a little weird but i guess thats mostly because she usually just calls her beckett, i guess she just uses full names for people since she always calls castle richard.

Comment by Alan – April 2, 2013 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The fact that Martha called Kate “Katherine” just like she calls Rick “Richard” is an indication of how much she loves Kate, how much she’s a part of their family. Martha doesn’t call everyone by their full first name – just family.

Comment by Vanessa – April 2, 2013 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I noticed the dress right away too. I thought it was fantastic little nod though.

Comment by VCK – April 2, 2013 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yep, knowing my Hitchcock as well. The DeWinter nod and the dress were a nice touch.

Comment by Lambsilencer – April 2, 2013 08:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They got me good. Brava Castle Brava!

Comment by TVPeong – April 1, 2013 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I did not see that ending coming, I was as surprised as Castle about it being his birthday party. Kate is very touchy feely when they are at the loft. Did anyone else notice Martha calls Kate Katherine. Nobody calls her Katherine not even her father.

Comment by Nicole – April 1, 2013 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think this speaks to Martha treating her now as she treats her son. She calls Castle “Richard,” and now calls Beckett “Katherine.”

Comment by skrable2 – April 1, 2013 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Make sense.

Comment by apvox1 – April 1, 2013 09:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s a way of subtly saying Kate’s family. When she was just Beckett, she was just some woman her son was crushing on. But now that they’re together, she’s Katherine. If they break up, she’ll be bask to saying Beckett.

Comment by S. – April 2, 2013 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Did anyone else notice in Significant Others that Martha called Kate “Darling” when she told Kate goodnight after Kate’s dinner with Meredith? Martha has always had a positive attitude towards Kate. Boy, is Martha chilly towards Meredith. Martha and Rick have BOTH matured over the seasons, and I like that about the show–character development.

Comment by Wendykw – April 4, 2013 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i got the surprise party before the last commercial break.

Comment by jaynecobb2 – April 1, 2013 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s when I got it as well. When the lights went out.
      My favorite line of the night was is the beginning. Kate to Esposito ” did you read that in ‘I made that up magazine’l

Comment by Ashley – April 1, 2013 08:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • beckett always has the best snarky lines

Comment by Alan – April 2, 2013 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too. I was fooled until then.

Comment by GeoDiva – April 3, 2013 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was worried I’d be disappointed… no problems there – it was the best episode yet!

Comment by Deb Caskett – April 1, 2013 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was Amazing I loved Ever Second the only thing that would made a little better would have been Kate telling Rick She Loves Him

Comment by tony – April 1, 2013 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She doesn’t need too, her actions speak louder!!

Comment by luli – April 1, 2013 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She did say it…towards the end when he apologizes, she tells him that his overactive imagination has brought a lot of people to justice, “in fact it’s one of the things I love about you” and then he turns his wheelchair around and sees her…

Comment by c-mo – April 1, 2013 09:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She did! She before she walked to the fridge she said that his imagination was one of the reasons she loved him

Comment by ★ Miss Mac ★ (@_MissKM_) – April 1, 2013 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not a fan of the back-handed way we got that she loves him (verbally), but I’ll still take it. I wanted a legit “I love you,” but they’ve made it overly apparent through actions. I suppose that’s just not a moment they wanted to make a big deal out of? Def expected it out of the two-parter, but nope.

Comment by Christina – April 1, 2013 10:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • From an interview AMW gave to Marisa Roffman of GMMR

After all, in the episode, Beckett uttered the “love” word for the first time on-screen…albeit in a “it’s one of the things I love about you” kind of way. Since Marlowe had previously teased “if she hasn’t said [she loves him] already, she probably will by the end of the season,” I couldn’t resist digging to see if this was the teased about occasion.

“No,” Marlowe teased. “No, there’s another emotionally charged version to come.”

Comment by eridapo – April 2, 2013 12:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Thank you eridapo! Nice to see that there’s something more to look forward to there.

Comment by Christina – April 2, 2013 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just one word. EPIC!! And I’m happy that both my OTPs share a word now (LoVe – Logan/Veronica Mars).

Comment by Mari – April 1, 2013 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I called the “gift” after seeing the sneak peaks! Feeling totally vindicated right now. My favorite part was actually seeing the day-to-day home life played out a bit.

Comment by K8 – April 1, 2013 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was such a great episode. So much affection between Caskett, loved seeing them so domestic. But seriously, no one can top that birthday present. Stana looked gorgeous a la Grace Kelly.

Comment by mary – April 1, 2013 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That was a great episode! And I honestly had no clue about the surprise party. Though from the beginning, I felt like the female security guard at the building had something to do with the mystery of the murdered IRS agent. It was just the look on her face before the break after Kate had watched the tape of the murder. Her face seemed to just show no emotion, which I found suspicious.

Comment by Andy – April 1, 2013 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i actually just put that down to bad acting from a bit part player, the show actually used my expectations against me this week.

Comment by Alan – April 2, 2013 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BEST EPISODE EVER!!!!!!! I love Caslte and Beckett, and The Alexis/Castle moments were hilarious!! And never saw coming the surprise party, almost had a heart attack!!

Comment by luli – April 1, 2013 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great Surprise with the party! Great way to celebrate 100 episodes! :)

Comment by Leigh – April 1, 2013 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When Kate went over to the apartment to look in the fridge and the guy got handsy with her I assumed it was an April Fool’s joke on him. The birthday party was even better!

Comment by autumndreamer76 – April 1, 2013 08:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I figured it out after the lights went dark in the apartment after Beckett had gone inside

Comment by Emily Hansen – April 1, 2013 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hands down, one of the best shows on TV and no one could tell me differently after this episode.

Comment by Rachel – April 1, 2013 08:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • that was one of my favorite episodes EVER. i’m still giggling about the charlie’s angels pose.

Comment by Kat – April 1, 2013 08:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best Episode Ever!!! The entire crew knocked it out of the park.

Comment by Nikki – April 1, 2013 08:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I basically loved everything about this episode. Here’s to 100 more, indeed!

Comment by April – April 1, 2013 08:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • that was so friggin awesome. Classic Castle indeed. don’t know what to say other then i love how Marlowe cares about his fans with stuff like slipping the esplaine in their and all the other classic moments he’s given us over the past five seasons. I hope and pray for a 100 more. definitly top 5 Castle episodes ever.

Comment by James – April 1, 2013 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree % 100. The best ever I still laughing cmon Abc 100 more pls

Comment by NR – April 2, 2013 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fantastic episode! That’s how you celebrate 100!!

Comment by Andrea – April 1, 2013 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was a fantastic episode!! I never saw that ending coming. Beckett was so believable when telling Castle not to ruin her Birthday plans for him. But most importantly, am I the only person who heard Kate say she Loved him! Replay her episode because she said it! The writers did such a great job! Thanks, from a devoted fan.

Comment by DMC – April 1, 2013 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes! I noticed that right as she said it! I gasped! I’m sad she didn’t say it later at the party…perhaps next episode? I’m almost positive she will say it by the end of the season. Esp after tonight. Fantastic episode! Didn’t see the party coming at all! Was so surprised and happy! Loved it! :)

Comment by Ing – April 1, 2013 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I heard it too. But I wish she will say it again in one moment that special.
      Because I even barely hear she said that,

Comment by siskaaw – April 1, 2013 10:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • lovely, lovely, lovely episode did I mention lovely? OH GOSH this was brilliant and so very Castle! Best milestone episode I have ever seen!

Comment by Em J – April 1, 2013 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved the episode! BTW, was I the only one who got a Neal Caffrey vibe from one of the “actors”?

Comment by Kris – April 1, 2013 08:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The one with the hat?

Comment by Andy – April 1, 2013 09:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re not the only one!! I thought it was him, with the hat and all. Great episode!! Loved it!!!

Comment by ana – April 2, 2013 02:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I def thought Caffrey until he removed the hat.

Comment by lyn – April 2, 2013 06:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i was convinced that guy was matt bowmer for a second as well

Comment by Alan – April 2, 2013 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really loved it….
    But would have also LOVED a little more of a pause from castle when we hear kate say, …”its one of the reasons i love you” …
    I have waited 100 episodes for her character to get there, and literally NO time was given to her “mention”. And i say mention because it had other context…not just a direct, I Love You. (Which either rick or kate could have also said when they were hugging/kissing in the surprise apt)
    If she isnt going to say it, then dont…
    But to have her mention it, then drop it like it is hot was just mean.
    Boo!

Comment by Ireallywamtedaniloveyoufromthem – April 1, 2013 08:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She actually said, “It’s one of the things I love about you.”

Comment by Jane – April 1, 2013 09:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, exactly… she didn’t say she loved him, she said she loved that about him. It’s like a baby step to actually uttering the three big words.

Comment by yearonear – April 2, 2013 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m still holding out for them to make the first legitimate “I love you” a moment. At least we got the word “love” out of her!

Comment by Christina – April 1, 2013 10:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DId you notice Martha referred to Kate as Katherine??? hahaha

Comment by luli – April 1, 2013 08:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best Episode Ever. I really think it was the best 100th show episode I’ve ever seen. They really hit this one out of the park. It was all the reasons I love the show plus the added bonus of the beautifully written and superbly acted relationship between Castle and Beckett.

Comment by Cc – April 1, 2013 09:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought the way that they fit in the “I Love You” was genius. Because Castle didn’t react, it shows that she HAS told him before. Also loved the domesticality: Her fixing him breakfast, them sleeping in bed. I absolutely loved her face as she suprised him. Pure love.

Comment by Melanie – April 1, 2013 09:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh dear god…I’m just in a puddle of feels right now…that was by far the best castle episode ever!!!…:D a big round of applause to Andrew and Terri!!!..:)

Comment by 117 – April 1, 2013 09:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • andrew marlowe>hart hanson…always.

Comment by veronica. – April 1, 2013 09:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So much! Loved it!

Comment by David4 – April 1, 2013 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THAT WAS AWESOME! Such a great episode, I’m so happy!!! I screamed when andrew and terri appeared,real life castle and beckett <3 and then i kept screaming whenever kate touched castle (aka A LOT) AND THE SPOONING!!!!!!!!! amazing episode. once again reminding me why this is my favorite show. here's to 100 more episodes!

Comment by Dani – April 1, 2013 09:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BEST EPISODE EVER!
    I thought Castle gonna be mad at Kate but instead he said “This is… without a doubt… the greatest birthday gift of my life!”
    Just an amazing episode and Happy 100th episode CASTLE!

Comment by siskaaw – April 1, 2013 09:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Absolutely loved this episode. Epic Castle, just keeps getting better.

Comment by Elle – April 1, 2013 10:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Far exceeded my expectations. Marlowe and Miller are unstoppable!

Comment by Steph – April 1, 2013 10:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • EPIC. All the Easter eggs were awesome… The Ry-Espo Charlie’s Angels pose was adorable. The small touches with the 100 in the title and Terri & Marlowe as the “writers” were nice.. Was it just me, or did Beckett have a hefty gold bracelet on her wrist with her Dad’s watch when interrogating the mob guy? Was that Castle’s make up gift for the Valentine’s Day earring debacle?

This will probably go down as my favorite episode of Castle, EVER. (With Flowers for your Grave & Always my #2 & #3)

Comment by DarkDefender – April 1, 2013 10:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i caught the gold bracelet also and thought it was a makeup valentine gift but than i noticed the earrings so they could of been a replacement gift.

Comment by K – April 2, 2013 08:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Perfect episode. Kate’s surprise party and fake murder setup is a perfect April’s Fools day thing. Well played, Marlowe and Miller.

Comment by Audrey – April 1, 2013 10:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Andrew and Terry, congratulations!!!
    Best Episode EVER!!!!

And the cast, the best in the TV, no doubt!

Comment by apvox1 – April 1, 2013 10:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great episode!!! I had no clue about the party until the lights came on! Loved the Castle/Alexis scenes. The two of them watching the “murderer” and munching popcorn at the same time was a riot. And the Charlie’s Angel pose was a hoot.

Comment by Chloe – April 1, 2013 10:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The “Neal Caffrey vibe” mentioned above is appropriate, as Matt Boner is voicing Superman in a new animated version … with Stana Katic as Lois Lane and Molly Quinn as Supergirl

Comment by skrable2 – April 1, 2013 11:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope misspelling Matt’s last name wasn’t a Freudian slip. LOL

Comment by lyn – April 2, 2013 06:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. It seems I’m the only one who strongly disliked this episode. Which was a total ripoff of The Game (the Michael Douglas movie) btw.
    Look, the ridiculousness of the whole scenario aside, I just don’t see why anyone would be ok with that level of manipulation.

Comment by Eli – April 2, 2013 12:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • A ripoff of “The Game”???? I didn’t realize that the movie (which was really good) was the first time in the history of entertainment that the lead character was having a prank (good natured or serious) played on him.

This was just another variation on a theme that has been around for a long, long time. It was well done, showed the characters as a bonded unit and gave the fans a treat as well.

As for not accepting that level of manipulation … really? This is the type of uber role-playing experience that a manchild like Castle, who plays laser tag, owns a lightsaber and WRITES MYSTERY NOVELS would relish.

Comment by skrable2 – April 2, 2013 12:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I guess the fact that you think The Game was a really good movie tells me you and I are very different people. And I don’t recall ever seeing another movie that had the same kind of massive conspiracy “prank” going on.
        And as for not accepting that level of manipulation. Maybe you are right, maybe Castle does have the kind of personality that would accept being ridiculed, made to think you are crazy, fearing for your own life while hiding under a bed with your daughter (pretending to be) scared for your life as well, risking doing more damage to your very real knee injury, getting yelled at for no reason and just being manipulated all over the place by everyone you love and trust. Yes, maybe Castle would be fine with it, but I still find it a ridiculous and cruel (not to mention criminal) way to get someone a surprise party.

Comment by Eli – April 2, 2013 12:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Eli the Game is an awful movie, but the plot play has been done in several ways and variations – Murder by Death comes to mind for a great version of this plot line. That said, the ploy is very much in keeping with the outlandish character that is Castle. His love of roleplay and fantasy (along with the macabe) is well documented throughout the series. As for the literal take on it — Castle is not a show based in reality. As with most TV shows a level of suspension of disbelief is required, this episode – whether one enjoyed it or didn’t is no different.

Comment by Nicademus11 – April 2, 2013 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Most tv shows require a much lower level of suspension of disbelief though. The only reason I personally bother watching the show are the actors and the relationships between their characters, Castle and Alexis especially.

Comment by Eli – April 2, 2013 09:45 AM PDT
          • “Most tv shows require a much lower level of suspension of disbelief though.”

Which shows would that be? The mass majority of TV shows (especially on current broadcast TV require a heavy dose of suspension of disbelief). Off the top of my head (and leaving out fantasy based shows like Once Upon a Time) – Revenge, The Following, Scandal, Elementary and often The Good Wife all require plot leaps of faith. They have 42 minutes to tell a story. The very nature of the time constraint dictates the need for leaps in plausibility. TV hardly is a beacon for lower levels of disbelief when you look at current line ups.

As for you contradiction of stating “The only reason I personally bother watching the show are the actors and the relationships between their characters.” that would be the reason most people attach to a given show. The actors and characters is what grounds the entertainment. It is why so many people were avid fans of the often confusing, often perplexing, often inconsistent and often heartwrenching touching LOST.

Look, everyone is entitled to their opinion about liking/not liking something, but to place some higher ideal on a show that gave us in last night’s episode a healthy helping of all the characteristics that this show has been built on is silly. To call those who enjoyed it ignorant is crude. And I say that as someone who thought the episode was uneven filled with delightful pieces and batch of filler when it came to the case they were solving.

Comment by Nicademus11 – April 2, 2013 11:07 AM PDT
      • Other shows, including Bones, have done variations of The Game. My only problem with the ep [which I loved] was what would have happened if Castle hadn’t made it under the bed in time?

Comment by lyn – April 2, 2013 06:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’m sure the actor would have delayed or “pretended” not to see him.

Comment by Katherine215 – April 2, 2013 07:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • They would have called “cut” and reshot the scene.

Comment by Keri – April 2, 2013 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • LOL

Comment by Eli – April 2, 2013 09:40 AM PDT
        • I envy you if that is really the only problem you could find with the whole storyline. Blessed are the ignorant, right?

Comment by Eli – April 2, 2013 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I get it you didn’t like the episode BUT the majority of found it enjoyable and I would venture to guess most if not all if us are nether ignorant nor dumb. We see it for what it

Comment by Dmac – April 2, 2013 10:23 AM PDT
          • Never mind, Dmac. Eli is just out to spoil people’s fun. Don’t let him.

Comment by TV Gord – April 2, 2013 05:14 PM PDT
    • You’re not the only one, Eli. Castle definitely wouldn’t appreciate them making it look like Kate was in serious danger.

Comment by Mark – April 2, 2013 02:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m not quite sure how you could say “Castle definitely wouldn’t appreciate them making it look like Kate was in serious danger.”…he told her that it “was without a doubt, the BEST BIRTHDAY GIFT OF MY LIFE!” That’s one of the things that he loves the most about Kate; she keeps him on his toes by challenging him.

Comment by c-mo – April 2, 2013 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • it was pretty obvious that Beckett had gotten the approval and assistance of the two other people who love Castle best—his daughter and his mother. so that tells me that it was a pretty sure bet that he would be able to appreciate the thought behind the plot.

Comment by andrea – April 2, 2013 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • MANIPULATION??????what planet are you on. go watch another Reality
      Show and see what manipulation is.

Comment by K – April 2, 2013 08:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m on planet Earth. You?

Comment by Eli – April 2, 2013 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Apparently you have no sense of humor…this is a television show that each week takes us on an adventure with a group iof pretty amazing characters. Sit back and enjoy the ride, stop trying to find things wrong with it and you might find that you are enjoying yourself. Sadly though I think you are the type to find fault with most things. Sad very sad.

Comment by Dmac – April 2, 2013 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sorry I don’t agree, Castle is clearly a fan boy of thrillers , mysteries and Sci Fi and this is exactly the perfect gift for him

Comment by Dmac – April 2, 2013 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BEST EPISODE EVER!!!! Can’t even breathe. It’s ridiculous. Loved absolutely everything about this episode. If certain things have been lacking from the show lately, they were all brought back with a vengeance in this one.

Comment by Hilary – April 2, 2013 12:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved it, loved it, LOVED IT! I, too, was surprised along with Castle. I didn’t see that coming. And it made the experience of the episode all the more enjoyable. I’m glad I was a dunce. And Kate nearly in tears when she thought Castle hated his surprise… Beautiful. You cannot deny that she loves him deeply. I also appreciated how nurturing she was throughout the episode, even if simply scratching the foot he couldn’t reach. Liked seeing more Martha and Alexis. And Marlowe was right–every character did have a chance to shine. Well done, CASTLE crew. Well done, indeed. Oh–and I thought the actor who played the husband did very well, particularly in his first scene.

Comment by 4theloveoffilm – April 2, 2013 12:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best episode ever!!!! Already watched it 3x! When did Beckett started wearing that bracelet by her watch? Looks heavy 😊 Can’t wait for the next ep! 2 weeks is just too long…

Comment by Llana – April 2, 2013 01:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Makes you greedy, that all the episodes can’t be this incredibly good. MilMar are such talents, I know it’s asking to much to have them collaborate on more episodes, but then we get magic like last night.

Comment by lame – April 2, 2013 01:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVED it! I´m a big fan of “Rear Window” and this episode did pay it a great hommage, IMO; amazingly acted and executed! I kinda of was expecting Kate would be doing something for Castle´s birthday, but didn´t get how until the lights went down.
    About the ILY, I think it may be vocalised in “Still” (the one with a bomb)…

Comment by Mary – April 2, 2013 01:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post