Castle Episode 100 Recap: Murder, Mystery, Party -- Plus: Show Boss Answers Burning Questions

Castle Season 5 Recap -- Episode 100The following recap, by the very definition of the word “recap,” contains spoilers from the 100th episode of ABC’s Castle.

This week’s Castle, to mark the ABC drama’s milestone episode, deposited birthday boy Rick in a wheelchair in his apartment, thus depriving him and lady love Kate of a Bora Bora getaway.

RELATED | ABC Season Finale Dates — Castle, Grey’s Anatomy, Once Upon a Time and Others

Instead, Castle was left to tough out his last weeks of recuperation from a broken kneecap, while Beckett & Co. delved into the sketchy caught-on-camera murder of an IRS investigator. Equipped with binoculars gifted to him by daughter Alexis — and reeled in by a none-too-subtle cue from Esposito — Castle soon becomes fixated on the goings-on of a couple in a neighboring apartment building, where the guy (seemingly) caught wind of his gal’s infidelity and (seemingly) knifed her to death in the bedroom.

Coming up well shy of any smoking gun/Ginsu to support his theory, Castle has a tough time getting Kate on board — especially after Ryan and Esposito (seemingly) question the guy in the apartment. Plus, the detectives claim to have spoken on the phone with the murder victim, who merely had gone off to her mother’s. Castle nonetheless smells something fishy, later witnessing his subject don a gas mask and lug bleach into the (unseen) bedroom, and carry away a rolled-up carpet.

Enlisting Alexis for his endeavor, Castle hobbles next door and sneaks into the neighbor’s apartment to retrieve the shredded contents of the “dead” girlfriend’s purse. Instead, all Rick comes away with is a receipt for a storage locker — in which he and a “reluctantly” dragged-along Kate find… nothing. Nothing but a subsequent talking-to from Captain Gates, after they got pinched by a security guard.

Even so, Rick is resolved to drawing out this cold-blooded killer, after deducing that the chopped-up ex was stashed in the fridge. Desperate to put the issue to rest — if only so that they might get on with Rick’s birthday dinner! — Kate pays the guy a visit. Rick watches as Kate receives a less-than-warm welcome once she makes tracks for the refrigerator. Seeing a melee ensue, Rick calls in the troops and they all storm the apartment… where a surprise party awaits the birthday boy.

RELATED | TVLine’s 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled?

Yep, Kate — appreciating how cooped-up and bored and hapless Rick felt — had arranged for this elaborate Rear Window-themed bit of entertainment, with help from some of Martha’s acting students. (Having been slightly spoiled for the episode, it was easy to figure out Martha’s involvement.) Rick’s reaction to being roped in by the ruse: “This is… without a doubt… the greatest birthday gift of my life!”

Later, after the invalid unwittingly helps Kate crack her real case, Rick expresses again how touched he was by the gesture. “What you did for me…. Nobody’s ever done that for me before. That was… epic.” He then warns, “But you do know I will now have to get you back.”

“Oh, you think you can top that?”

“Just you wait and see,” he teases, as he carries her — via wheelchair — into the bedroom.

CLICK TO PAGE 2 for More Episode 100 Observations — Plus: Show Boss Andrew W. Marlowe Answers Some Burning Questions

1. c-mo says:

EPIC!!!!!!! Best ep EVER!!!!!!!!

• eridapo says:

I agree… I will be rewatching this episode a couple of 100 times

• william j mazza says:

think the whole “Rear Window scenario as a birthday present” was a great idea for a mystery writer, especially Castle. But only to a point. For me, the offensive part was when the plot involved having Castle *watch as Beckett is assaulted by the murderer with a knife* — and then the lights go out.

For me, that crosses from a good prank to outright cruelty, especially when you consider that the guy had to rescue his kidnapped daughter a few weeks ago, not to mention that he was the target of a serial killer’s frame-up a few months back. Hasn’t he had enough to deal with? Watching the death of a loved one just does not sit right with me, so… no.
      Comment by Malachi – April 2, 2013 05:43 AM PDT

I’m just reposting this posting in which i agree with!!!!!

• jn says:

i also would have expected castle to be a bit more peeved at kate for letting him believe she was in mortal danger.

• Carol says:

I absolutely loved it… Felt good after watching….

2. rachelle says:

Absolutely LOVED this episode. It was definitely one of the best this season and of any season. I’ll probably be re-watching this many, many times. I didn’t see the surprise party coming at all! Both the episode and surprise was brilliantly executed. And Andrew W. Marlowe and Terri Edda Miller did a great job with the writing!

3. lyn says:

I must be dumber than soup, because I didn’t trip to it until just when the lights came back on. I did love Esposito and Ryan doing the CA pose.

• Mallory says:

i didn’t know it was a set up either! (which in my opinion was the GREAT thing about it!!) I kept trying to wrack my brain all episode as to how Rear Window ended to see if I could figure out what was going on! lol

• Me too – really never saw it coming

• Becca says:

I was surprised too! The whole time I was thinking it was going to be tied to Beckett’s case, like the guy had killed the IRS agent too. But I was definitely glad I didn’t figure it out, made it even more fun to watch!

• Julie Andrews Smith says:

Don’t feel bad Lyn, I’m dumb and dumber because I didn’t see it coming until the light came on too. I guess I was overwhelmed by all the CASKETT moments. LOL

• Alan says:

i had an idea they might do that but i was convinced that it was a real murder and that the real case was connected right until the lights went out. the charlies angels pose was hilarious, i had to pause the episode i was laughing that hard.

• Erin says:

Me, too… I figured it out when the lights went out. And just as they were about to open the door, I guessed that it was going to be a surprise party. I loved it, and they really had me up until the last moment, which is great!

4. Mike says:

First time watching Castle in awhile, and will be watching on a regular basis again.

5. ollie says:

loved the rear window gift didnt see that coming at all till after they broke the door in. but why did they have castle sleeping on the busted knee side. but yeah more caskett moments.

6. Cary Begole says:

The name of the real case victim was “Mrs. DeWinter”. A nod to “Rebecca”. And Kate’s dress at the end was a knock off of the one Grace Kelly wore in “Rear Window”.

I may watch a LOT of Hitchcock.

• Amanda says:

You’re right on that.
      And I’m trying to understand why Martha called Kate as Katharine at least 2 times. Can’t remember that she had done that before.

• Wendykw says:

I figured Martha calls her Katherine for the reason she calls RIck Richard–that’s how Martha does it. Did you catch Martha’s line: He’s all yours. Reminded me of Kyra telling Kate that in A Rose for Everafter.

• Alan says:

yeah i found the katherine thing a little weird but i guess thats mostly because she usually just calls her beckett, i guess she just uses full names for people since she always calls castle richard.

• Vanessa says:

The fact that Martha called Kate “Katherine” just like she calls Rick “Richard” is an indication of how much she loves Kate, how much she’s a part of their family. Martha doesn’t call everyone by their full first name – just family.

• VCK says:

I noticed the dress right away too. I thought it was fantastic little nod though.

7. TVPeong says:

They got me good. Brava Castle Brava!

8. Nicole says:

I did not see that ending coming, I was as surprised as Castle about it being his birthday party. Kate is very touchy feely when they are at the loft. Did anyone else notice Martha calls Kate Katherine. Nobody calls her Katherine not even her father.

• skrable2 says:

I think this speaks to Martha treating her now as she treats her son. She calls Castle “Richard,” and now calls Beckett “Katherine.”

• apvox1 says:

Make sense.

• S. says:

It’s a way of subtly saying Kate’s family. When she was just Beckett, she was just some woman her son was crushing on. But now that they’re together, she’s Katherine. If they break up, she’ll be bask to saying Beckett.

• Wendykw says:

Did anyone else notice in Significant Others that Martha called Kate “Darling” when she told Kate goodnight after Kate’s dinner with Meredith? Martha has always had a positive attitude towards Kate. Boy, is Martha chilly towards Meredith. Martha and Rick have BOTH matured over the seasons, and I like that about the show–character development.

9. jaynecobb2 says:

i got the surprise party before the last commercial break.

10. Deb Caskett says:

I was worried I’d be disappointed… no problems there – it was the best episode yet!

11. tony says:

It was Amazing I loved Ever Second the only thing that would made a little better would have been Kate telling Rick She Loves Him

• luli says:

She doesn’t need too, her actions speak louder!!

• c-mo says:

She did say it…towards the end when he apologizes, she tells him that his overactive imagination has brought a lot of people to justice, “in fact it’s one of the things I love about you” and then he turns his wheelchair around and sees her…

• She did! She before she walked to the fridge she said that his imagination was one of the reasons she loved him

• Christina says:

Not a fan of the back-handed way we got that she loves him (verbally), but I’ll still take it. I wanted a legit “I love you,” but they’ve made it overly apparent through actions. I suppose that’s just not a moment they wanted to make a big deal out of? Def expected it out of the two-parter, but nope.

• eridapo says:

From an interview AMW gave to Marisa Roffman of GMMR

After all, in the episode, Beckett uttered the “love” word for the first time on-screen…albeit in a “it’s one of the things I love about you” kind of way. Since Marlowe had previously teased “if she hasn’t said [she loves him] already, she probably will by the end of the season,” I couldn’t resist digging to see if this was the teased about occasion.

“No,” Marlowe teased. “No, there’s another emotionally charged version to come.”

12. Mari says:

Just one word. EPIC!! And I’m happy that both my OTPs share a word now (LoVe – Logan/Veronica Mars).

13. K8 says:

I called the “gift” after seeing the sneak peaks! Feeling totally vindicated right now. My favorite part was actually seeing the day-to-day home life played out a bit.

14. mary says:

This was such a great episode. So much affection between Caskett, loved seeing them so domestic. But seriously, no one can top that birthday present. Stana looked gorgeous a la Grace Kelly.

15. Andy says:

That was a great episode! And I honestly had no clue about the surprise party. Though from the beginning, I felt like the female security guard at the building had something to do with the mystery of the murdered IRS agent. It was just the look on her face before the break after Kate had watched the tape of the murder. Her face seemed to just show no emotion, which I found suspicious.

• Alan says:

i actually just put that down to bad acting from a bit part player, the show actually used my expectations against me this week.

16. luli says:

BEST EPISODE EVER!!!!!!! I love Caslte and Beckett, and The Alexis/Castle moments were hilarious!! And never saw coming the surprise party, almost had a heart attack!!

17. Leigh says:

Great Surprise with the party! Great way to celebrate 100 episodes! :)

18. autumndreamer76 says:

When Kate went over to the apartment to look in the fridge and the guy got handsy with her I assumed it was an April Fool’s joke on him. The birthday party was even better!

19. Emily Hansen says:

I figured it out after the lights went dark in the apartment after Beckett had gone inside

20. Rachel says:

Hands down, one of the best shows on TV and no one could tell me differently after this episode.

21. Kat says:

that was one of my favorite episodes EVER. i’m still giggling about the charlie’s angels pose.

22. Nikki says:

Best Episode Ever!!! The entire crew knocked it out of the park.

23. April says:

I basically loved everything about this episode. Here’s to 100 more, indeed!

24. James says:

that was so friggin awesome. Classic Castle indeed. don’t know what to say other then i love how Marlowe cares about his fans with stuff like slipping the esplaine in their and all the other classic moments he’s given us over the past five seasons. I hope and pray for a 100 more. definitly top 5 Castle episodes ever.

25. Andrea says:

Fantastic episode! That’s how you celebrate 100!!

26. DMC says:

This was a fantastic episode!! I never saw that ending coming. Beckett was so believable when telling Castle not to ruin her Birthday plans for him. But most importantly, am I the only person who heard Kate say she Loved him! Replay her episode because she said it! The writers did such a great job! Thanks, from a devoted fan.

• Ing says:

Yes! I noticed that right as she said it! I gasped! I’m sad she didn’t say it later at the party…perhaps next episode? I’m almost positive she will say it by the end of the season. Esp after tonight. Fantastic episode! Didn’t see the party coming at all! Was so surprised and happy! Loved it! :)

• siskaaw says:

I heard it too. But I wish she will say it again in one moment that special.
      Because I even barely hear she said that,

27. Em J says:

lovely, lovely, lovely episode did I mention lovely? OH GOSH this was brilliant and so very Castle! Best milestone episode I have ever seen!

28. Kris says:

Loved the episode! BTW, was I the only one who got a Neal Caffrey vibe from one of the “actors”?

29. Ireallywamtedaniloveyoufromthem says:

I really loved it….
    But would have also LOVED a little more of a pause from castle when we hear kate say, …”its one of the reasons i love you” …
    I have waited 100 episodes for her character to get there, and literally NO time was given to her “mention”. And i say mention because it had other context…not just a direct, I Love You. (Which either rick or kate could have also said when they were hugging/kissing in the surprise apt)
    If she isnt going to say it, then dont…
    But to have her mention it, then drop it like it is hot was just mean.
    Boo!

30. luli says:

DId you notice Martha referred to Kate as Katherine??? hahaha

31. Cc says:

Best Episode Ever. I really think it was the best 100th show episode I’ve ever seen. They really hit this one out of the park. It was all the reasons I love the show plus the added bonus of the beautifully written and superbly acted relationship between Castle and Beckett.

32. Melanie says:

I thought the way that they fit in the “I Love You” was genius. Because Castle didn’t react, it shows that she HAS told him before. Also loved the domesticality: Her fixing him breakfast, them sleeping in bed. I absolutely loved her face as she suprised him. Pure love.

33. 117 says:

Oh dear god…I’m just in a puddle of feels right now…that was by far the best castle episode ever!!!…:D a big round of applause to Andrew and Terri!!!..:)

34. veronica. says:

andrew marlowe>hart hanson…always.

35. David4 says:

So much! Loved it!

36. Dani says:

THAT WAS AWESOME! Such a great episode, I’m so happy!!! I screamed when andrew and terri appeared,real life castle and beckett <3 and then i kept screaming whenever kate touched castle (aka A LOT) AND THE SPOONING!!!!!!!!! amazing episode. once again reminding me why this is my favorite show. here's to 100 more episodes!

37. siskaaw says:

BEST EPISODE EVER!
    I thought Castle gonna be mad at Kate but instead he said “This is… without a doubt… the greatest birthday gift of my life!”
    Just an amazing episode and Happy 100th episode CASTLE!

38. Elle says:

Absolutely loved this episode. Epic Castle, just keeps getting better.

39. Steph says:

Far exceeded my expectations. Marlowe and Miller are unstoppable!

40. DarkDefender says:

EPIC. All the Easter eggs were awesome… The Ry-Espo Charlie’s Angels pose was adorable. The small touches with the 100 in the title and Terri & Marlowe as the “writers” were nice.. Was it just me, or did Beckett have a hefty gold bracelet on her wrist with her Dad’s watch when interrogating the mob guy? Was that Castle’s make up gift for the Valentine’s Day earring debacle?

This will probably go down as my favorite episode of Castle, EVER. (With Flowers for your Grave & Always my #2 & #3)

• K says:

i caught the gold bracelet also and thought it was a makeup valentine gift but than i noticed the earrings so they could of been a replacement gift.

41. Audrey says:

Perfect episode. Kate’s surprise party and fake murder setup is a perfect April’s Fools day thing. Well played, Marlowe and Miller.

42. apvox1 says:

Andrew and Terry, congratulations!!!
    Best Episode EVER!!!!

And the cast, the best in the TV, no doubt!

43. Chloe says:

Great episode!!! I had no clue about the party until the lights came on! Loved the Castle/Alexis scenes. The two of them watching the “murderer” and munching popcorn at the same time was a riot. And the Charlie’s Angel pose was a hoot.

44. skrable2 says:

The “Neal Caffrey vibe” mentioned above is appropriate, as Matt Boner is voicing Superman in a new animated version … with Stana Katic as Lois Lane and Molly Quinn as Supergirl

45. Eli says:

Wow. It seems I’m the only one who strongly disliked this episode. Which was a total ripoff of The Game (the Michael Douglas movie) btw.
    Look, the ridiculousness of the whole scenario aside, I just don’t see why anyone would be ok with that level of manipulation.

• skrable2 says:

A ripoff of “The Game”???? I didn’t realize that the movie (which was really good) was the first time in the history of entertainment that the lead character was having a prank (good natured or serious) played on him.

This was just another variation on a theme that has been around for a long, long time. It was well done, showed the characters as a bonded unit and gave the fans a treat as well.

As for not accepting that level of manipulation … really? This is the type of uber role-playing experience that a manchild like Castle, who plays laser tag, owns a lightsaber and WRITES MYSTERY NOVELS would relish.

• Eli says:

I guess the fact that you think The Game was a really good movie tells me you and I are very different people. And I don’t recall ever seeing another movie that had the same kind of massive conspiracy “prank” going on.
        And as for not accepting that level of manipulation. Maybe you are right, maybe Castle does have the kind of personality that would accept being ridiculed, made to think you are crazy, fearing for your own life while hiding under a bed with your daughter (pretending to be) scared for your life as well, risking doing more damage to your very real knee injury, getting yelled at for no reason and just being manipulated all over the place by everyone you love and trust. Yes, maybe Castle would be fine with it, but I still find it a ridiculous and cruel (not to mention criminal) way to get someone a surprise party.

• Nicademus11 says:

Eli the Game is an awful movie, but the plot play has been done in several ways and variations – Murder by Death comes to mind for a great version of this plot line. That said, the ploy is very much in keeping with the outlandish character that is Castle. His love of roleplay and fantasy (along with the macabe) is well documented throughout the series. As for the literal take on it — Castle is not a show based in reality. As with most TV shows a level of suspension of disbelief is required, this episode – whether one enjoyed it or didn’t is no different.

• Eli says:

Most tv shows require a much lower level of suspension of disbelief though. The only reason I personally bother watching the show are the actors and the relationships between their characters, Castle and Alexis especially.

• Nicademus11 says:

“Most tv shows require a much lower level of suspension of disbelief though.”

Which shows would that be? The mass majority of TV shows (especially on current broadcast TV require a heavy dose of suspension of disbelief). Off the top of my head (and leaving out fantasy based shows like Once Upon a Time) – Revenge, The Following, Scandal, Elementary and often The Good Wife all require plot leaps of faith. They have 42 minutes to tell a story. The very nature of the time constraint dictates the need for leaps in plausibility. TV hardly is a beacon for lower levels of disbelief when you look at current line ups.

As for you contradiction of stating “The only reason I personally bother watching the show are the actors and the relationships between their characters.” that would be the reason most people attach to a given show. The actors and characters is what grounds the entertainment. It is why so many people were avid fans of the often confusing, often perplexing, often inconsistent and often heartwrenching touching LOST.

Look, everyone is entitled to their opinion about liking/not liking something, but to place some higher ideal on a show that gave us in last night’s episode a healthy helping of all the characteristics that this show has been built on is silly. To call those who enjoyed it ignorant is crude. And I say that as someone who thought the episode was uneven filled with delightful pieces and batch of filler when it came to the case they were solving.

• lyn says:

Other shows, including Bones, have done variations of The Game. My only problem with the ep [which I loved] was what would have happened if Castle hadn’t made it under the bed in time?

• Mark says:

You’re not the only one, Eli. Castle definitely wouldn’t appreciate them making it look like Kate was in serious danger.

• c-mo says:

I’m not quite sure how you could say “Castle definitely wouldn’t appreciate them making it look like Kate was in serious danger.”…he told her that it “was without a doubt, the BEST BIRTHDAY GIFT OF MY LIFE!” That’s one of the things that he loves the most about Kate; she keeps him on his toes by challenging him.

• andrea says:

it was pretty obvious that Beckett had gotten the approval and assistance of the two other people who love Castle best—his daughter and his mother. so that tells me that it was a pretty sure bet that he would be able to appreciate the thought behind the plot.

• K says:

MANIPULATION??????what planet are you on. go watch another Reality
      Show and see what manipulation is.

• Eli says:

I’m on planet Earth. You?

• Dmac says:

Apparently you have no sense of humor…this is a television show that each week takes us on an adventure with a group iof pretty amazing characters. Sit back and enjoy the ride, stop trying to find things wrong with it and you might find that you are enjoying yourself. Sadly though I think you are the type to find fault with most things. Sad very sad.

• Dmac says:

Sorry I don’t agree, Castle is clearly a fan boy of thrillers , mysteries and Sci Fi and this is exactly the perfect gift for him

46. Hilary says:

BEST EPISODE EVER!!!! Can’t even breathe. It’s ridiculous. Loved absolutely everything about this episode. If certain things have been lacking from the show lately, they were all brought back with a vengeance in this one.

47. 4theloveoffilm says:

Loved it, loved it, LOVED IT! I, too, was surprised along with Castle. I didn’t see that coming. And it made the experience of the episode all the more enjoyable. I’m glad I was a dunce. And Kate nearly in tears when she thought Castle hated his surprise… Beautiful. You cannot deny that she loves him deeply. I also appreciated how nurturing she was throughout the episode, even if simply scratching the foot he couldn’t reach. Liked seeing more Martha and Alexis. And Marlowe was right–every character did have a chance to shine. Well done, CASTLE crew. Well done, indeed. Oh–and I thought the actor who played the husband did very well, particularly in his first scene.

48. Llana says:

Best episode ever!!!! Already watched it 3x! When did Beckett started wearing that bracelet by her watch? Looks heavy 😊 Can’t wait for the next ep! 2 weeks is just too long…

49. lame says:

Makes you greedy, that all the episodes can’t be this incredibly good. MilMar are such talents, I know it’s asking to much to have them collaborate on more episodes, but then we get magic like last night.

50. Mary says:

I LOVED it! I´m a big fan of “Rear Window” and this episode did pay it a great hommage, IMO; amazingly acted and executed! I kinda of was expecting Kate would be doing something for Castle´s birthday, but didn´t get how until the lights went down.
    About the ILY, I think it may be vocalised in “Still” (the one with a bomb)…