Exclusive

Walking Dead Exclusive: The Actor at the Center of the Season Finale's Tragic Death Speaks Out -- 'It Was a Shock to Everyone'

The Walking Dead Andrea DiesWarning: If you have yet to watch Sunday’s Walking Dead finale, steer clear of the following post mortem. And we repeat: If you have yet to watch Sunday’s Walking Dead finale, steer clear of the following post mortem. Everyone else, you have permission to proceed…

This was more than just another one bites the dust.

Sunday’s Walking Dead season ender not only marked the final episode for original cast member Laurie Holden, it served as a dramatic climax for her character, Andrea, whose Season 3 arc proved to be among the show’s most polarizing. (Why didn’t she kill the Governor when she had chance after chance!)?

RELATED | Walking Dead Finale Post Mortem: Robert Kirkman Talks Andrea Backlash (Including the Pliers!), Defends Rick’s Decision, Previews Season 4

In the following exclusive interview with TVLine, Holden — who deftly drove the role from tough to suicidal and back — addresses some of the specific criticism leveled against her ill-fated alter ego, shares her thoughts on her sad send-off (a self-inflicted bullet to the brain), and reveals when she learned that the end was nigh (hint: not that long ago!).

TVLINE | How long have you known about Andrea’s death?
I didn’t get the official word until a few days before we began [shooting] the finale. It was a shock to everyone. It was never part of the original story docs for Season 3. And it was rather unexpected. That said, this is The Walking Dead. This show is not conventional by any means — and we know that as actors going in. So you roll with it. You show up, you do the best job you can, and you honor the storytelling. Overall, this has been an extraordinary experience and I just feel so blessed to have been a part of it.

TVLINE | Do you know why the decision was made to kill her now?
Honestly, I feel like it’s story-driven. It does propel the story forward… The [second half of Season 3] was a bit of a free-for-all. It had an organic fluidity to it and it just naturally unfolded day-by-day, week-by-week, moment-to-moment.

RELATED | Walking Dead Season Finale: What Grade Do You Give the Episode?

TVLINE | Andrea has taken some heat from fans this season for, among other things, sticking by the Governor’s side for so long. What do you make of the criticism?
I think when people watch the [entire] season — especially the finale — that her trajectory will be clear. She was a woman caught between two worlds. All she wd3wanted was peace. She was for the people and was willing to do anything and everything possible even if it meant sacrificing herself to preserve humanity and keep the people alive. At times her actions were a bit misunderstood or ambiguous. But when you see the season overall I think people will really understand this girl. She did the best she could. And I do feel there was a sense of closure, healing and completion. The people of Woodbury did reach a sanctuary. No one in the prison was killed. Rick was finally set free from the ghosts of his past. And Andrea died in the arms of her best friends surrounded by the people she loved. She wasn’t cannibalized. She didn’t turn. She was able to go out with a certain amount of dignity. Her last dying wish was to end it herself and she was granted that. And by the grace of God she’s now going to be with her sister. And Dale.

TVLINE | Do you think she died a hero? A martyr?
That’s not my place to say. I’d like to think Andrea’s death will have meaning. That what she stood for and believed in will continue to resonate in the hearts and minds of the people she left behind, because we all learn and grow from one another. I do love that the finale ended [with a shot of] a cross, because I feel that it’s a time for new beginnings and a spiritual awakening. Let the healing begin.

RELATED | Sarah Wayne Callies: Find Out Why She Was Barred From the Walking Dead Set

TVLINE | Milton’s exchange with Andrea in the finale felt very meta, because in many ways he was asking her the same questions fans have been asking all season: Why did she choose to stay with the Governor, why didn’t she kill him when she had the chance…
I am so grateful for how that [scene] was written. It was written by [new Season 4 showrunner] Scott Gimple. I feel like there is complete closure and resolution andrea1with the character, and any questions the fans had have now been answered. It couldn’t have been a better ending in terms of really understanding her past.

TVLINE | She kept coming back to the same refrain — “I wanted to save everyone,” “I didn’t want there to be any death.”
Since [around] Episode 9 — when the Governor pit [Merle and Daryl] against each other, and then when [Andrea] went to the prison and found out about all the insane things he had been doing — her whole modus operandi from that point forward was, “How can I make sure that these people stay alive? How can I bring about peace?” She was a human rights lawyer prior to the apocalypse; she’s not a killer. She’s never killed a human being in her life. She’s killed a lot of zombies. I think fans who were unhappy with the fact that she wasn’t able to follow through on killing [the Governor] when she was standing over the bed [with the knife], have to understand that that was a moral dilemma within her. She believed in humanity. She believed that, “OK, there’s got to be a better way.” And she was successful. There was a peace conference. Yes, it went south, but she was able to put that together. She was always trying. And there’s something to be said for that. And listen, at the end of the day, she was the casualty of war. I feel like she did not die in vain.

PHOTOS | The Walking Dead: 15 Most Memorable Moments of Season 3

TVLINE | Was the final sequence between Andrea and Michonne as emotional to shoot as it was to watch?
Yes. [Sighs] Yes. [Long pause] You have to understand — we all love each other. We’ve been working on location in the backwoods of Georgia for the last few years. We’ve become a family. It’s very hard to say good-bye… I just love how it was written. I love that Andrea was able to ask for a gun and take matters into her own hands. I love that she was able to say, “I know how the safety works” — she came full circle from Season 1 with Rick. And I love that there was a healing and a closure between these two women who loved each other so much.

wdextraTVLINE | It made me want to see more flashbacks to the time Andrea and Michonne were on the run together. Are you sad there wasn’t more time spent showing the beginnings of that relationship?
It’s not up to me, you know? I’m the actor. I do what I’m told. The writers are the ones in charge of the storylines. And they write the scenes. Woulda, shoulda, coulda. Do I wish we could’ve seen and explored more of the comic-book-Robert-Kirkman Andrea? Yes. Absolutely. Do I wish that I had more scenes with Michonne showing that friendship? Yes. Absolutely. But at the end of the day, I don’t think I could ask for a better death. I feel like her life mattered, and she died trying, and her heart was in the right place. I feel grateful for that. You can’t have it all.

TVLINE | I was a little surprised the Governor made it out of the episode alive. Are you, as a fan of the show, looking forward to seeing him get his comeuppance?
I think that’s inevitable. The man has crossed into such evil, dark territory that there is no redemption for him — ever. But this is the nature of our show. This is why it’s so popular. I think everyone assumed that I would be saved from the torture chamber, that I would kill the Governor, and it would be a big happy ending. But we don’t do that on The Walking Dead. And, at the end of the day, all Andrea wanted was to get back to her family and to make sure that the people didn’t die — the people in Woodbury and the people in prison. And she accomplished that. And if it meant that she had to go down to make that happen so be it.

RELATED | Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Pretty Little Liars, Glee, Bones, Castle, Teen Wolf, 90210 and More

andreaTVLINE | Will you watch the show moving forward?
I don’t watch the show now. Andy Lincoln (Rick) doesn’t watch the show. When we’re shooting it we’re so invested. It’s every moment of our lives, 18 hours a day. It’s necessary to separate. I think in time I will be able to go back and watch. Because I do love the people I work with. The cast and crew are the best people I’ve ever known, and I want to see their beautiful work and I want to see their journeys. That said… [Sighs]… I guess I’m like an audience member now. [Pauses] I don’t want to see any more people that I love die. [Laughs] Maybe I’d rather live in the dark.

TVLINE | Any chance we might see Andrea again – either as a ghost or vision like Lori or in a flashback?
Anything’s possible. Who knows what they have up their sleeve? There may be scenes of Andrea and Michonne that the audience wanted to see. You may see more of renegade-Robert-Kirkman-badass-Andrea.

TVLINE | What’s next for you?
Legally, I haven’t been able to procure work. Come Monday, I am a free agent. I’m excited about the future and I’m looking forward to the next chapter.

TVLINE | Any final thoughts?
Just that it’s not up to me to tell the audience how they should feel about this finale. I loved playing this character; I had the time of my life. I’m so grateful as an artist that I was able to be a part of this, and to tell this tale. But whether she was a hero or a martyr is not up to me. That’s up to the viewers to decide. At the end of the day I feel like she was just a gal who did the best she could. She tried.

1. JUANY MEZA says:

NO TIENEN UN PROGRAMA DONDE PASEN LAS COSAS EN ESPANOL ME ENCANTA WALKIND DEAD

2. JUANY MEZA says:

NO TENDRAN UN PROGRAMA EN ESPANOL ME ENCANTA WALKIND DEAD

3. Jamie Huff says:

I will miss Andrea very much. She was one of my favorite characters. She always showed such strength in the face of unbearable adversity. I believe she thought the Governor was redeemable. That’s why she didn’t kill him when she had 2 chances. As for the actress who played her, Laurie Holden was brilliant. This show should be nominated for multiple Emmys but I don’t know which actor deserves one more. I would give one to every actor if I could. If there was an Emmy for best dramatic ensemble The Walking Dead cast would be a shoo-in. David Morrisey has been crazy good as The Governor, and Andrew Lincoln has been brilliant as Rick. Google the cast of the Walking Dead and look at all the pictures of the actors and tell me which one has NOT played his or her character with spot-on reality and brilliance. I can’t wait until Season 4!

4. Christopher Snyder says:

I liked Andrea’s character. With her being a white collar civil attorney, to her survival instinct kicking in. This show does lack stong female characters, and Laurie brought this to the table. I was very shocked when they took her out of the show. I look forward to what her career will bring us. The Walking Dead needs to focus on developing another strong female lead, and not just women torn between who they want to “date.”

• Jeff says:

Michonne is one of the most kick ass characters on the show and by the looks of it, may become Ricks right hand soldier.

5. Jeff says:

All great comments, but No one mentioned how kick ass Carl is becoming!!

• Angela52376 says:

Actually I think Carl is becoming more scary than “kick ass.” He’s a 12 year old boy that has basically been given the mantle of an adult by his father who doesn’t seem to want to deal with being a father and finds it easier to just see his son as another adult in the group. Yes the events of the ZA have made him grow up quite a bit but he’s still a 12 year old boy with a 12 year old brain that is physically incapable at that point in development of having adult judgement. That can be extremely dangerous. He’s becoming a little governor.

• Jamie Huff says:

Well, he’s killed his own mother and that is bound to have affected him. As far as killing the Woodbury fellow I think he did what he had to do. He told the man to drop his gun but he kept on walking toward Carl and did not drop it. How is that any different from the episode where he, Rick and Michonne drove by that man walking down the road asking for help? All 3 of them ignored him and when they found him dead not a word of regret was spoken. Now everyone expects him to have a conscience and make a life or death decision in favor of life? Come on!

6. a says:

Ha sido todo un acierto matarla, porque es pesima.

7. Payne says:

Most disappointing part for me was how Andrea died man, because she eliminated zombies with her eyes closed(figure of speech). I mean she killed zombies so easily, but in this episode she got bitten even though one arm was already loose? She had a the tool in her hand and could have just smashed it in Milton’s brain. Writers raped her dying scene man.

8. BrianAnim says:

In the comics SHES’s STILL ALIVE! and by this time in the comics she’s learning to be a bit of a bad ass actually.

9. PJ Dominicis says:

I am SOOO pissed off they killed Andrea! The powers that be have to stop killing off lead characters that fans are emotionally invested in, just for cheap, sensational effect. Andrea’s death was uncalled for and unnecessary. If they wanted a major death at the end, they could have just ended with Merle’s selfless act. Instead they killed off one of the strongest female characters on TV—and there aren’t too many of those left. The character of Andrea was a major dynamic of the show, who carried half of last season’s episodes. I believe her absence will hurt the show down the road. Also, if they kill off anymore lead characters, I think the fan base will turn on them. I know I will!

10. Yagobs says:

RIP Andrea, is best personage female!

11. Chris says:

Episode was crap. The whole kill Andrea off shocking finale was a fail.
    She was truly annoying and I was glad to see her go, and from what iv read most people feel the same.
    Also it’s pretty crazy how Andrea was a zombie killing machine and she can’t even kill one of them…give me a break. Bad story writing.

12. Jhed says:

T_T I really felt like crying in that moment, when Rick, Michonne and Daryl found her, lying… dying… I don’t know when I can move on, but right now… I feel so depressed, disappointed, and unhappy or her fate. But at least she didn’t died as a walker or eaten by the walkers. She died happy that she accomplished her wills! After all, she did a lot of contribution to the groups, the show, and real life casts and staffs, and crews. At the end of the day, I will be still looking forward to see the next season. Accept that Andrea is dead, and move on just like the others in the characters. And give a round of applause for the people behind it, especially… LAURIE HOLDEN! (Andrea, the bad ass kicker).

13. Angela52376 says:

Andrea’s death was the crappiest death of the whole series. Completely pointless and meaningless. She didn’t “save” anyone, Rick was going to Woodbury anyway. The Governor gunned down all those people. They could have had her experiences from season 1 and 2 then her experiences in Woodbury springboard her to being a much wiser and tougher character, a mix of a toughness and willingness to fight to survive and her humanitarian tendencies making her a really great character and they totally wasted that opportunity. Add to that her dying for nothing really and how/when she did makes her whole story from the beginning and her entire story this season feel like a total waste of time.

I think it’s still a good show and better than pretty much anything else on TV and will keep watching, but since Darabont left, the show has just not had the same feel as in season 1. Season 1 felt like a very tightly woven, cohesive story with undertones of “deeper meaning” along with hidden clues in it that would be revealed slowly as the series progressed. Season 2 and now 3 has felt much more “on the surface” and disjointed. So many story threads and themes from season 1 were just left to swing in the wind and never woven into the show. It seems that they’re killing off people now not because it really fits in the story and progresses it and is good story telling but just simply for the shock factor or the “didn’t think we’d do it, did ya?” factor. You can get by with that to a point with more minor characters but not so much with major ones. Don’t get me wrong, I expect people to die in a ZA and do like the idea that no one is safe, but it still is a TV show and still is a story being told so when those things happen, it should feel like the right time and feel like it really “fits” into the story, not just a meaningless death that makes a lot of what went before feel like a total waste of time.

14. Cian says:

At the end of the day it is The Walking Dead and the main characters die all the time. This is the reason we are all so hooked and excited about the show. Each of us are just waiting for who or what to die next. I think Andrea’s character essential to season 3 and even though there was so much more that could have been done with this character in seasons to come her death was (even though this is kind of wrong to say) the best one yet!

15. AracilJuan says:

I didn’t like the season finale.

16. Niteowl says:

So glad Andrea is gone and none of the others. She died of terminal stupid. How she didn’t get culled from the herd before the apocolypse is a mystery

I understand the actress doesn’t want to admit she had to play a dumb bunny of epic proportion through out her 3 seasons, Your character was a complete idiot that brought about her own death and the deaths of others. She sees heads in jars, his zombie daughter in a straight jacket and cage, lied to about gov. retaliating and just what happened. Heck, he lied to you about everything and your big take away-until you were told point blank he is evil was is ” rick is cold”

17. sarah says:

Love the show. I was fine with the scene of Andrea dying until she said “I know how the safety works”. then there were tears.

18. Truefan says:

Are you kidding me? Anyone who really got so upset at Andrea’s death that they’ll stop watchin the show is just….stupid. This show is is meant to deliver surprises,it’s suppose to make you fall in live with a character,and then rip them apart from you.(although half of you are lying and didnt like Andrea as much as you say) This season has been the best season far and I’ve noticed the unintelligent ones are the fans who don’t think so,and im not saying that cause they don’t share my opinion. In saying that because every single place reason I’ve seen these people give as to why this season was terrible(and the season finale for that part) have been the most dumbest reasons I’ve ever read. And every single one of you saying you aren’t watching Season 4,shut up. You know you will. Thanks to the writes,cast and crew for giving the best show ever created!

19. Truefan says:

And I never liked Andrea,but o had to admit her death did get me a little teary eyed

20. Cian says:

Those of you who are saying they won’t watch the next season because of Andrea’s death are lying, simply because it is The Walking Dead. The most exciting and unpredictable show on tv, you would have to be crazy to miss out on it.

21. Rick says:

Yeah I’m dissapointed. They amped up this whole war/show down thing between the two sides, and all they really did is re-establish what they already established 100 times- the Governor is crazy. I wish they would have wrapped that whole story line up.

22. Don M. says:

Can anyone answer this question of which I am surprised has not been asked…here goes….I realize the comics and the TV series are a bit different and yet kind of similar. My question is…Where about in time frame is the TV series in relation to the Comic book story. Is it caught up or like at around comic book 70? 80? Comic book 90? Can any one who reads the comics and watches the series give me a rough idea. Thank you.
    Don

23. Nuno Rebelo says:

Andrea didn´t die in the comic books, so why did she die in the TV series?

24. Jen Nissen says:

Dallas Roberts (“Milton”) did an interview with EW where he describes an alternate ending that was filmed, in which at one point he tries to strangle Andrea with a chain in order to prevent himself from eating her after he turns. I wonder if they’ll use this alternate ending they filmed to bring Andrea back in the next season. I know it’s a stretch, but maybe the “neck bite” will actually have been from the chain that Milton tried using to strangle her. Perhaps they’ll use the alternate footage to flash back to what actually happened. I’m not sure where the gun shot we heard would have come into play…BUT…they didn’t actually show Andrea holding the gun up to her head. So you just never know. Like i said, it’s a stretch…but it’s fun to think about :) Many shows have done far crazier things.

25. Stef says:

Daryl and Andrea were pretty much the two best things about this show, for a long time. I never agreed 100% of the time with some of the creative choices for Andrea, but I absolutely loved Laurie’s toughness and compassion as Andrea, and felt that she did some of her best work in TWD.

I was hopeful for a future for Andrea, and seeing her trying to put her life back together, and also heal the group she was finally making it back to after such a terrifying end to Season 2. Despite some of my issues with the writing, it was all about Daryl’s story and Andrea’s story, for me. All wrapped up, of course, in Rick’s and the other survivor’s stories, but D & A had a lot of chemistry and potential together as friends, a lot of similarity in their characters and the emotion that compelled them through every day. I’m sad that’ll never be explored. I hope the latest showrunner can find a way to tell us more of her story, maybe find a reason to go back before the outbreak, or find how she escaped from the farm and found Michonne.

26. Robert Malone says:

Did Andrea really kill herself or did someone else kill her? I know we are lead to believe she shot herself, but if you pay attention to the scene and if you know a little about guns. They either messed up or someone shot her. Just like this page states, “She knew she was gonna turn, and asked for a gun”. Rick gives her his revolver, then scene pans out to the outside of the room looking at the door. You then hear the gun shot. If you listen closly, you can hear the bullet cartridge bounce of the floor. This only happens with an automatic pistol, revolvers keep the cartridge in the gun until you manually open it.

• Garrett P says:

Nice thought. I think they showed the cling to be the bullet itself.

• dark says:

So maybe andrea lived and maybe they will have flashbacks of her and michonne or have an alternate ending. It is possible. I am very dissapointed they killed andrea off. i could tell that they have lost many viewers.

27. Mike Latoris says:

This was another AMC “jump the shark” moment like Breaking Bad’s ‘Face Off” where character Gus is blown up by a bomb and walks out into the hallway with half a face. This is Hollywood at its most inane, high on the stupidity of budget and ratings, low on IQ and plunging further than skin deep.

28. Garrett P says:

Laurie Holden;

You did amazing through out your entire The Walking Dead career. I will miss seeing you every Sunday. Thanks for being such a great actor and showing the “Comic Andrea” throughout! I’m not going to be watching the show anymore! Now, only the comics for me.

29. Xavier says:

I was underwhelmed by the Season 3 finale, to the point of not anticipating the next season, whereas I couldn’t wait for Season 2 and 3 to begin because of how well they capped of the prior. Oh well, I guess they got to clean house.

As for the writers, and yes, my dislike of how Andrea’s character came across is mostly placed in the writers or directors lap. They gave us so little of the book character, made her a character needing a redemption, and then, still fumbled around with that. It’s sad to hear how many people just wanted Andrea gone, and sadder how many audience members hated on and even threatened Laurie Holden, or any actor portraying a fictional character. Some demons brewing there if you can’t sort out your real from fiction folks.

Oh well, hoping it goes well in the future.

30. Simon says:

best part if the episode: Christ promised to resurrect the dead… guess I expected something a little different

31. Oface9701 says:

All these people that say it sucked and aren’t going to watch and the girls are “one dimensional” make me laugh. Everyone will be watching next year. Andrea was not one dimensional, at the end neither was michonne nor maggie or carol. The only one dimensional one was Lori. Beth will come along. But the final episode did not suck. They brought emotions from all directions with it. it’s not breaking viewing records for not doing the right things. Not everything is going to be to everyone’s liking but it is a solid show and they do amazing work from the directors to the actors to the make up. Not much better out there. Cheer up cause you’ll all be watching come October

32. Oface9701 says:

And stop comparing it to the graphic novel. They are not following it page for page. Then it would be ruined and spoiled every week because people would be putting crap all over the Internet. I mean Daryl’s not even in the comics. They’d be stupid to stay on the novels path.

33. Caydon Stanley says:

While Andrea didn’t feature much in Season 1, She really shone in Season 2. Of course, she really disappointed even her most loyal fans in Season 3, and I think the writers realised this and that is why she did so much advertising and interviews for her character, but I feel that in the finale she really showed a different side of herself, of the person we knew in Season 2, and I feel that now we can see her as she once was. I totally agree with whoever commented that her stopping freeing herself was annoying… She stopped every minute to answer her “fan mail” that Milton was spewing at her. I think that the whole character deteriorating and then character strengthening was unnecessary. She died like she lived in Season 2 – a hero. She just got a little retarded along the way, but I think the writer’s realised this and did the best they could with what they had. Sad to see Laurie Holden go, but I can’t wait to see what they come up with in Season 4.

34. Jesse says:

I cried when she died, she was one of favourite characters! She was a strong woman, with a good opinion! And everyone that says it are always the women that get first killed has to shut the **** up, it was hard enough that T-Dog died. I wanna blow that governors head of for killing Andrea, Milton, Merle, Making an army from kids, women and men than kill those poor people and doing a lot more terrible things. And than you have Carl… I was so mad at him for killing an innocent boy that was handing over his gun. And after Milton and Andrea got killed and there where brought women and children to the prison to be safe there, asking: ‘What is this?’. That made me so mad, that was such a disrespectfull question to to use against this innocent people! I hate that little ******!

35. Eric says:

If she’d have spent her time getting the pliers instead of stopping that effort to have heart-to-heart talks with dying Milton, she would have had enough time to stop him after he turned. She was always too irrational for me given the situation. Coincidence?

36. MU says:

“She was able to go out with a certain amount of dignity. Her last dying wish was to end it herself and she was granted that. And by the grace of God she’s now going to be with her sister.”
    Holden is sorely mistaken. There’s no dignity in suicide, and I’m pretty sure as a result she’s not with her sister…

• Mase says:

“Holden is sorely mistaken. There’s no dignity in suicide, and I’m pretty sure as a result she’s not with her sister” Your injecting your own personal beliefs of religion into the discussion-and religion topical or otherwise is not discussed. Dont judge her by your own personal beliefs or this(our)worlds situations, after all this is just make believe. Any way getting bitten by a walker(esp on the shoulder like Laurie)is a literal death sentence, as far as turning into a zombie goes. It sounds like you think its preferable for her to turn into a zombie so one of them has to blow her brains out. WTF why put that on someone lol.

37. G. DuPont says:

A THOUSAND TIMES BOTH CARL AND GLENN COULD HAVE (AND SHOULD HAVE DIED) BUT THEY CHOSE TO KNOCK OFF MERLE (WHO WOULD OF NEVER WENT DOWN), ANDREA, ETC. GETTING REALLY SICK OF THIS SHOW. I THINK ITS RUN ITS COURSE.

38. Well,She is still alive and kicking in the comic and hooked up with Rick?

39. What got me about the whole situation was how the Governor was able to sneak up on her at the edge of the woods of the prison, especially with how badly he was surrounded by the zombies in the warehouse where she left him… and no sound from his truck to warn her that he was approaching her destination so she would be on the look out? Before that, people were talking about how quiet it was without all the mechanical noises they had grown used to over the years of the civilization they once had. and she had been prepared already to kill him when he jumped her she had her right hand free and her knife right there but she didn’t eviscerate him, didn’t even try to fight him at all which would have drawn atention? And how did they so quietly walk away from the edge of those woods without being noticed at all and no attempts on her part to escape… what did they do teleport?! Come on, she had developed into such a strong character to wimp out at the end, especially knowing he would kill her… I really think the writers dropped the ball on that one.