Glee Hot Shots: Sam Serenades Brittany While New Directions Copes With an 'Unthinkable Event'

Glee fans eagerly awaiting some long-overdue lovey-dovey goodness between Brittany and Sam — whose romance, of late, has been put on the backburner — need look no further than the dramedy’s April 11 installment (Fox, 9/8c).

RELATED | May Sweeps Scorecard: Who’s Dying, Who’s Getting Hitched, Who’s Breaking Up and More!

The following shots from the episode find Chord Overstreet‘s alter ego serenading his doofy cheerleader (and the rest of New Directions) and getting close to her beloved feline friend Lord Tubbington. (Whatta guy!)

Unfortunately, the hour’s official description tells a different story, one that finds the gleeks coping with “an unthinkable event” that forces each of the students to look at things from a new perspective.

Click through the shots below, then hit the comments: What major event do you think is about to rock McKinley High?

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Glee, Photo Gallery

1. Ali says:

Is it just me or is Ryder crying?

2. EndOfTime says:

Nobody is buying Brittany/Sam, even the writers. They need to let it go. No one cares about them

3. gabby says:

I don’t care for the NYC scenes all that much. Mostly cause it’s all about Rachel and I can’t stand Rachel/Lea anymore. I don’t care about Finn. I don’t care about Kurt and whatever boy drama he has going on. They could have done something really cool with the whole NYC thing but they didn’t. We never even see any of the other old Glee members! What are they up too? Tine still gets no story lines (or ones that aren’t stupid.) This whole split season is stupid and not working.

4. Saint Talof says:

Brittany was just fine then they ruined her with stupid Sam. Heather did really amazingly this season. Waiting for more of her but without the douche

5. Ok, that’s it. Brittany and Sam work as a couple. They have a great dynamic, and are adorable. And don’t forget: Brittany is BISEXUAL, so she’s gonna date guys as well as girls. I like Brittana as much as the next person, i loved them together, but they are in the past. Get over it, and accept that they are keeping Brittany and Sam together… IT’S JUST A TV SHOW!! xx

• No says:

OMG enough with the “Brittany is bisexual so she can date guys” line. ENOUGH!! It has never been about her being bisexual, we are well aware of that, we don’t care about it. She could have date any guy he wanted, WE DON’T CARE. What we care about is the double standard, when she’s wih a guy she gets storylines, duets, screentime, conversations, etc and when she’s with a girl she is muted. How can you not notice that? this isn’t about ships. Of course we want Brittana, they are they only couple that make sense in this show, they are the most natural, sincere and mature couple there, if Bram have been treated the same way Brittana has we wouldn’t be having this conversation. Fans still would be upset, sure, but not as much because we wouldn’t have all the reasons we have now, because it’s pretty obvious what they’re doing. And please, it’s just a TV show? when? when it’s convenient for the writers or for people like you so you can defend something you clearly are not right about? If Glee hasn’t self-proclaimed progressive and revolutionary and made a movie about how much it helps people, it would be just a tv show, but knowing all this you know it isn’ just a tv show.

• This isn’t about double standards (which admittedly are there), this is about people whining about something they shouldn’t be. If you don’t like it, don’t watch it. Yeah, fine, Glee is helpful to people, personally, Santana and Karofsky’s coming out storylines gave my the courage to come out as a lesbian, so yeah, the show does help… But it’s still just a show. It really is just a TV show, it’s not the be all and end all of the universe. And they’re the only mature couple?? Really?? Kurt and Blaine were pretty mature, talking things out when they had a problem, only breaking up because of cheating, which was kind of understandable on both parts. It’s gleeks like you and the people on here whinging that make me almost ashamed to be one of you. Get over yourselves, if you dont like it, turn it over! It’s not hard! Whining wont change anything, it’ll just mean you have something to bitch about x

• Cheech says:

One person’s idea of whining is another person’s idea of speaking up when they see something that doesn’t sit right with them. Bram is a badly executed, half-baked idea that throws so many charming details about both characters under the bus. I agree that some fans take it too far and that there’s a lot of self-importance (i.e. thinking Brittana were the only mature couple – those people must have selective memories seeing as Brittany outed Santana, posted their sex tape for everyone to see and then refused to take it down when Santana asked her to because it was private, and was a pretty mediocre partner all around) but their existence shouldn’t negate the valid criticism people have. They’re just an annoyingly vocal minority.

Glee doesn’t get to pick and choose when it wants to be “just a TV show” and then something more. Either you’re responsible or you’re not. Either you’re for equal treatment of your queer and minority characters or your not. Getting one thing right doesn’t excuse you for getting so many things wrong. Allowing the writers to perpetuate hurtful stereotypes and unfair double standards is giving them a free pass to keep earning GLAAD awards without really deserving them. The people whinging, as you put it, should really be given more credit.

• In my own defence, the whinging comment was more for the actual people who are whinging without valid points, which you actually had. I just think there are more things to worry about in the real world, concerning LGBT issues, and personally, i’d rather have the right to marry who i choose than have Brittany and Santana have more screen time. In my opinion, it’s one battle at a time, baby steps. Right now, all i’m after, as a gay woman, is the same basic rights as everyone else (marriage, and all the benefits that should come with it) and talk about the other stuff after that battle has been won. While some shows do have amazing LGBT representation (Underemployed, Revenge, The Borgias etc) people will have to accept the fact that some don’t, but i believe if there is an effort, then it’s a small victory xx

• Cheech says:

Sorry, this comment is to your response above that for some reason I can’t reply to. I hear what you’re saying, but I think LGBT representation is tantamount to fighting for LGBT rights. These characters and these stories are going into millions of people’s homes around the world and that’s a powerful thing. They have the power to shift opinions and humanize what is sometimes an abstract boogeyman to people. Fair and equal representation is important. And if people were only expected to take on one fight at a time, both DOMA and Prop 8 wouldn’t be at the Supreme Court this week. The Violence Against Women Act that includes protection for transwomen and Native American women would not exist in its current state. Dave Agema of the Michigan GOP wouldn’t be feeling the pressure from good people in his home state to resign because he posted a link to an article that falsely purports an increased susceptibility to certain diseases and ailments in homosexuals. The fans who care about Brittana and want them to be treated fairly could very well be fighting for these things, too (I know for a fact that many do). To say that you have to deal with one thing first before addressing the slew of other inequalities and injustices out there is lazy thinking. Everyone can and should do better, including the well-intentioned folks who write for Glee. Maybe they just need to have these issues brought to their attention to know that they’re not okay, that people notice, and that they can’t just pick and choose which letters of “LGBT” they want to do right by.

• :) says:

Bless this post

• Chrissy says:

I love everything about this post! Glee doesn’t get to be a “live-changing phenomenon” one minute and then be “just a tv show” when people point out very real problems with it’s writing. Yes there is an (unfortunately very loud) group of Brittana shippers who act way too self-righteously and impusively BUT that doesn’t mean that teh issues they raise aren’t valid. And the fact that glee of all show is going out of their way to minimize and ridicule those fans by labeling them “angry lesbians” is disgusting. They have a chance to really make a difference and change people’s minds by actually SHOWING equality and instead they reinforce ugly stereotypes.

• Cheech says:

Yes! It’s so disheartening that no one in the media is willing to call them out on their double standards and that the writers themselves continue to ignore tweets that rationally and politely bring to attention very real issues plaguing Glee. There’s a lack of maturity on both sides. It makes me wish a grown-up would come in and twist the ears of both the writers and the vocal minority of Brittana shippers who seem to think death threats are an appropriate way to articulate their frustration. However, the onus is on the writers. It’s beyond hurtful that a show which likes to view itself as one of the (if not /the/) most important television shows in terms of quality LGBT representation and giving society’s often underrepresented minorities a voice is also the most problematic and damaging to both groups. The problems are so easy to fix and simple to avoid if only they would open their eyes and ears.

• Chrissy says:

“There’s a lack of maturity on both sides”. YES! The thing is that while I absolutely DON’T condone any form of “hate messages” sent to the writers, I can sort of understand the frustration of those Brittana fans. Because it’s not like there weren’t tons of people who rationally and politely pointed out certain issues or asked for better representation. And all that got them was ugly name calling on national television and even WORSE representation. And I don’t care that it was supposed to be “a joke”. Fact is that anybody saying anything remotely critical about Brittany/Sam since then has been immediately labeled as “one of those angry lesbains”. I wrote a review after that episode stating that I thought the re-writing of history (In Sam’s case) was awful and the first (anonymous) message I got afterwards was “Shut the hell up. You’re just another angry lesbain and even Ryan knows you guys are the WORST. So shut up stupid dyke, nobody cares what you think”. Well, not that it matters but I am neither a Brittana shipper, nor a lesbian but here we are. And the whole thing made two things very clear to me: 1) The show DOES have an affect on people because those messages (and there were several) were directly QUOTING the show and taking it’s comments to heart. 2) It IS absolutely possible to just ignore hateful messages instead of taking the hate to another level and continue with the immature jabs. I, for example just deleted them. And the writers seem to be very capable to ignore the immature vocal minority of the other fandoms… I agree that it would be nice if somebody with a little credibility could come in and re-direct the focus to the actual Issues that ARE there. Unfortunately I don’t see that happening. The only reason I’m here discussing this on the internet is because all my real life friends gave up on glee month ago because they either couldn’t deal with the harmful messages of the show anymore or because they got bored with the HS storylines…

6. Meh. says:

Brittany’s face in the “serenading” picture is my face when anything Brittany/Sam related happens. Can barely contain my excitement.

7. Nicole G says:

NO ONE is awaiting anything related to that horrible couple. Fail in the article

8. Mel says:

So my head cannon for these pics is pretty simple. BRITTS IS LEAVING! She speaks to Sam in the hallway with her bag packed and gives him LordT to look after (the fact that we don’t even know where Sam lives is irrelevant because this is Glee). Sam sings to her trying to tell her he love her and wants her to stay but she’s unmoved. Everyone hugs her goodbye and Sam is left, yet again, heart broken. (Because this is Sam and all he can do is impressions, strip, occasionally cry about being homeless and be dumped by the Troubletones (because he was the one who broke up with Quinn.)

Simples!

9. Sarah says:

I see that they are STILL trying to make Brittany/Sam happen. It’s just hilarious at this point.

10. Daphne says:

Brittany and Sam are the worst thing to happen on glee. He is destroying Brittany..my favorite character on the show. Bring Santana back. Make me love Brittany again.

11. Dee says:

Brittana fans are not the only people who are upset with the Brittany and Sam relationship. I couldn’t care less whether Brittany and Santana ever talk to each other again and I still hate Bram. They took Sam, a sweet and naive goof, and turned him into a complete idiot just so that he would be on par with Brittany. This is not a guy that Quinn or Mercedes would have even looked twice at. Not to mention the fact that neither Chord nor Heather is a particularly strong actor and they only seem to be worse together. If the writers insist on keeping them together, they should stay on the back-burner.

• Ana says:

OMG! Thank you! I’m tired of people assuming that if you dislike Bram you must be a Brittana shipper. I like Santana in NY. They don’t have to bring them back together. I don’t really care. They can pair Brittany with another guy, just NOT Sam the idiot who put Cheerios on the floor so Brittany wouldn’t get lost getting to a place she’s been to a million times before. Brittany has never been very bright but she’s still had a natural wisdom about her when she would talk to Santana but, IMO, they have completely dumbed her down to be with Sam. Sam was never very bright either but to say that a monkey scored better than he did on a test is taking this way too far. And they do not have the sweetness and natural chemistry that she had with Santana or even Artie for that matter. (Even though he called her stupid which was bad, but before they broke up they were kind of sweet together).

12. gabs says:

brittany and sam are a joke. i can’t with this show anymore

13. Mamacita says:

Wah, all of you aren’t getting what you want and so you whine? Obviously there must be some love for Brittany/Sam or the writing wouldn’t continue.

• Molly says:

“Obviously there must be some love for Brittany/Sam or the writing wouldn’t continue.” Hahahahahahaha that’s the funniest thing anyone has ever said about Glee. You must be new to this show.

• :) says:

The love the writers have for them, obviously.

• Ana says:

Not at all. This is how it goes…some writer gets a stupid idea and Ryan goes, great, let’s go with that. I’m sure fans will love it.. Then they write and film the episode. By the time it hits the airwaves and they get the fans’ reactions they are already a few episodes in and they cannot backtrack so they try to salvage it somehow. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. In this case, even after toning down their romance to make them less polarizing, it still hasn’t worked.

• Kai says:

^^^THIS!!^^^ The backlash over the whole wedding/Sam was always into her and the whole ‘lesbian blogging community’ fail of a joke was huge. (If anyone thinks that joke was funny then swop the word lesbian for black, say it was about Samcedes and see where that gets you. It WAS offensive just as Brittany’s constant Mercedes/Wade jokes.) Apparently a lot of Bram scenes have been cut because they wouldn’t go down well with the audience. The only people who like Bram are the same ones who liked Quam because they ‘looked good together’. I wouldn’t call myself a Brittana or Samcedes ‘shipper’ but even I can see how this pairing screws them both and is uninspiring to the viewers.

• Meh. says:

Yeah, the love the writers have for pissing off the “angry lesbians”.

14. Jazmin says:

Let see. I don’t like twins Sam and Brittany together. I’m tired of Sam having a storyline and singing in every single episode. I don’t care about Blake. Mr Shue, Beiste and Sue are ok, but not enough to keep me interesting. There won’t be NY, so no Santana, Rachel or Kurt. This is not an episode I want to watch.

15. Elm says:

Please writers, don’t jump the shark with a school shooting! PLEASE JUST DON’T DO IT!!! But if you do, could you please kill off Kitty? That girl is just a less interesting Santana rip-off…

16. Jonh says:

“Glee fans eagerly awaiting some long-overdue lovey-dovey goodness between Brittany and Sam” this is the biggest joke ever. Just take a look on the comments and everyone can see that no one likes Britt & Sam together. They have zero chesmitry and look like twins.They’re boring. Ain’t nobody got time for that. Bram being together just makes no sense at all. I will not watch this episode for sure. They need to break up as soon as possible so I can enjoy Glee again!!

17. Shelly says:

The first thing that came into my mind when I heard ‘shooting star’ episode was something to do with Rachael.

18. izz says:

I have no problem with Bram at all, they can be cute. The writting is just awful and ruins everything on this show and I hate how they’re trying to shove Chord onto our faces…. I just want Brittany to get a better storyline.

19. Rosa says:

First off I love Santana and Brittany together I ship them!!!! Second it’s true Brittany always chose Santana second but did you guys notice she said she loves Santana the most and when she spoke with Brittany she said she likes Sam and with that said love and like are two totally different words!!!! Which means her heart will always belong to Santana!!!! I like Sam just not with Brittany!!! I believe he’s trying to feel something since Mercedes broke his heart!!!!

20. Alex says:

Literally five people care about Bram, other than wanting them to be over and not taking up screen time as a couple. And I don’t ship Brittana ftr. I just think Bram is a complete waste of time and totally boring.

21. Carol says:

I’m actually curious to see the ratings of this episode when it airs. Nobody cares about Bram. They need to break up already

22. Camila says:

Honestly? An episode wrote by Hodgson you can simply skip instead of wasting time with such untalented and stupid writing. I moved on from Brittana and Bram don´t bother me anymore as they did in the previous year, but really? I´m sick of Brittany. I LOVE HeMo but I can´t stand anymore watch the “special kid” Brittany . HeMo, I´m sorry, but you can´t have that same tone of voice in your character anymore. It wordek in season 1 and 2 but now is just…
    And I have nothing against Chord but IMO he can´t act. Bram don´t have ROMANTIC chemistry. They look like twins and have the “brothers chemistry”. No offense to Bram shippers.

23. Camila says:

Even Brittany/Marley or Brittany/Kitty have more chemistry than Bram.

24. Camila says:

Waste of time. Instead of try to develop a couple with small fanbase and without any romantic chemistry, why do they not allow Jenna and Kevin sing and have actual storylines?
    I´d rather see more of Tina/Jenna! I´m sure she is VERY talented and if she had a chance, she would have more fans and praise by the media. But NOOO, the writers have to keep that couple that obviously was only created as an open try of bash the Brittana shipers.

25. SHELSBY says:

MORE BRITTANY/HEATHER,SUGAR,KITTY & LORD T THERE THE ONLY BEST THING ABOUT GLEE

26. Chrissy says:

Well I for one am definitively NOT “eagerly awaiting” more of this “couple”. Sorry, I thought they might be cute at the beginning but they just don’t work. And the way they are written it seems that the writers are more concerned with antagonizing a certain fandom than with actually writing believable and well developed storylines for those characters. I used to LOVE both of them but now I am just sick of them. They don’t work as a couple and it doesn’t help that neither of them are strong enough actors to really carry/lead a storyline. And to be completely honest, I am not a Brittana shipper but you dont need to be one to recognize the double standards the show depicts. This whole relationship and especially the way it started has left such a bitter taste in my mouth that it’s not just boring but actually unpleasant to watch now. Add the fact that there won’t even be any New York scenes to entertain me for at least 5 minutes of this episode and the decision to NOT watch is a pretty easy one. In fact, if the rumours are true and they really want to drag this school year into next season, I think you can count me out for good! Shame because the NY scenes are still great. But 5 minutes of greatness doesn’t cancel out the Lima side that has become boring at best and annoying at worst.

27. Caticia says:

I hear bram is breaking up soon…anybody knows when this is happening?

• katie24 says:

Well IF this is true, it is not soon enough. And I won’t believe it until I see it. People said they were originally supposed to end when Santana came back but that didn’t happen. And then they said they were supposed to stay in the background because of the bad recepton and yet this next episode will be all about their “love” for each other. Fox/the writers obviously know this couple isn’t working. They cut scenes, they chaged episode descriptions to “hide” the content of the episode and they keep tweeting hints about the couple ending or being “hardly featured”. Yet, they still refuse to actually follow up on any of it. Just like they keep using all of the original cast members in the promos for upcoming episodes, even though they won’t be featured at all or only in a very small capacity, I might have fallen for this “bait and switch” tactic at the beginning of the season but by now I know better. And unitl I read a positive episode review or hear positive feedback from my friends, I won’t bother with another episode. Spoilers, promos, Fox or even the writers themselves obviously can’t be trusted.

28. Edinal says:

Why does glee not get it? Fix the mess they have made. They got rid of Brody now Adam,the shell less Turtle, needs to go next. Fix Blaine. Blaine was strong,confident,focused,a force. Not the weak whining mess they have turned him into. Bram is about as believable as Blaine cheating. Its as believable as Klaine getting together at the wedding then Blaine singing Against All Odds to Sam two weeks later
    and everyone knowing Klaine is still in love. Everything has become so random. Blaine telling Kurt they need a break because of the distance would have made sense. Sam fought so hard to get Mercedes back then there is nothing between them so stupid. We want the couples back. Brittany was at her best with Santana. Rachel looked better with the animal print sweaters and knees socks compared to the Rachel with way to much heavy make-up and please let the knee high boots and shorts go. Please fix Glee. Marley,Ryder,and a Kitty need to go. Give Tina a decent story if you’re going to give her one. As for Bram,just NO!

29. Ann Mack says:

Really think that GLEE has loss all sense of being credible and well written. They are on episode 18 and the only thing that sticks in my mind is the Homeward Bound/Home song (plus the only song that has been worth purchasing). I have tried repeatedly to figure out what is going on? So much possibilities and potential for well scripted dialogue has been turned upside down and switched for dialogue in which GLEE insults its fans (lesbian comments) and cast (the whole black people look alike with comparing Wade to Mercedes; never was funny IMO). So what does it take for GLEE to see the error of its ways and get back on track. Heaven knows enough of its one-time followers have decided not to watch, constant criticism, and loads of pleas to GLEEonFox, The Fox Network and even to Ryan Murphy has fallen upon tone-deaf ears and blind self glorifying righteousness, which GLEE cannot afford to hold on for much longer as its ratings continue to plummet. I do not pine for the glory days of GLEE I do however pine for good writing, continuity, fairness, equality and shared screen time. GLEE has an amazing ensemble cast but you would hardly notice since the primary focus is always, Rachel, Kurt, Blaine, Santana and Finn. I cannot say that all of those are my favorite characters but I can attest to the fact that Mercedes, Tina and Artie have a lot more to offer than what they have been given. Rachel may be the primary character but does that mean she has to be the only one to ever succeed on this show? How many times can this girl just have things handed to her without working for them at all? Why do the ones who do work get pushed into the background? GLEE double standard does not just extend to the gay males versus the lesbian females, but also against those who are not of the caucasian persuasion. Ever notice that those of color or have a disability do not get as much screen time as the “blonde blue eyed” cast members, or the able bodied male persuasion. GLEE has gotten to the point of being watched so you can continue to point out the inconsistencies or ramble and rant about how unfair or stupid it is. What show wants to be in those categories; I doubt that the number is many. So yes, I feel that GLEE has waved it double standard flag with pride this season and it literally disgust me beyond words. What started out as show with a rebellious yell against those who should be accepted for being different has been silenced by its acceptance that it is okay to discriminate, degrade, and belittle as long as you think you are doing it in a comedic way. Sorry but I find no humor in a show that places prejudices, vindictiveness, and double standards as the measure of what must be done in order to appease a few while discarding those who may need some sliver of hope in a show that once was its champion. So until GLEE can accept and acknowledge that it has jumped sharks and crashed the train completely off the rails I will not be tuning in. And as far as this whole Brittany and Sam relationship thing goes did GLEE really think people would accept them with open arms because they are both “blonde and white”, and forget that they have completed assassinated the characters or 4 cast members; yes four; Mercedes, Santana and the last two victims of course are Sam and Brittany. Shame on GLEE for completely retcon history to make these two be together. Shame on GLEE for throwing away a mature and different relationship that had endless possibilities and story lines yet to be written (Sam & Mercedes). Shame on GLEE for making it seem that love can only be found with a heterosexual relationship if you are a female, and that only gay men are worthy of any respect and love. Shame on GLEE for producing and executing such a disaster of a mess that is commonly referred to as Season 4.

30. tri says:

I miss sugar. :((

31. NaT says:

Oh God! When I read this is so funny and I even have shame others by the writers of Glee. They had worked so hard but both Bram and had nothing but hatred and now only oblivion :) :) :)

32. NaT says: