Colton Haynes: Arrow Meeting Roy Harper 'Is Going to Drive the Fans Crazy'

Arrow Season 1 SpoilersTonight on Arrow (The CW, 8/7c), Roy Harper — though not under the best of circumstances — crosses paths with Oliver’s alter ego and, in turn, gets a taste for what it’s like to make Starling City a better place.

But first… some fun.

VIDEO | Watch Arrow‘s Oliver Leap Across the City — and Lose His Temper With Felicity!

“It starts off with a very sexy scene with Roy and Thea,” newly promoted series regular Colton Haynes tells TVLine. “Roy is perhaps trying to ‘further their relationship’ a little more than Thea is ready for, when he gets pulled away for an ‘armed mission’ with a few of his friends.”

Of course, with “friends” like Roy’s, who in Starling City’s Glades district needs enemies? “Roy’s life is so much different from Thea’s — he has to steal and do these other things to get ahead, whereas she has been privileged her whole life,” Haynes notes. “In Roy’s life, you’re lucky if you live ’til you’re 21, and he explains that to Thea. So she’s wondering if she’s getting herself into more trouble than she thought.”

“Roy starts to get a little more emotional this episode,” his portrayer adds, “as opposed to the hard exterior that he’s had in the past.”

RELATED | TVLine’s 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled?

As Thea thusly seeks counsel from the resident expert on dating bad boys — yes, that would be Laurel — Roy falls prey to the latest scheme to terrorize Starling City: the misguided mission of “The Savior,” a Glades native who idolizes “the vigilante” and has his own way of “cleansing” his crumbling neighborhood.

In this kook’s clutches, “Roy starts to wonder if he’s going to live or if he’s going to die,” Haynes previews. And thus the stage is set for the inevitable, if this Roy Harper is fated to become Arrow’s one day sidekick.

“The cliffhanger of the episode has to do with Roy meeting ‘the hood’ for the first time, and it’s going to drive the fans crazy,” Haynes ventures. “It’s a really exciting moment” — in part because as he witnesses the vigilante in action, “Roy starts to see that there’s something else out there that can get him out of his situation, and he’s not going to stop until he finds it.”

RELATED | Ask Ausiello: Scoop on Arrow‘s Oliver, Felicity and Laurel

But well before any super-alliance can be formed, Oliver, as himself, needs to size up his sister’s new beau. “They’re leading towards the ‘protective brother’ aspect of it all,” Haynes says. “In one of the next episodes, there’s this great meeting where that is shown.”

And beyond that…? “Roy has a very pivotal role towards the end of the season — at least in what I’ve read so far,” Haynes effuses. “Obviously the finale — which I can’t wait to read — is going to be full of craziness.”

Want more scoop on Arrow, or for any other show? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. DoctorWhoFanatic! says:

That’ll be a lot of sexy on one screen. Dunno if my TV can handle it!

2. I wasn’t too big on Colton joining Arrow, let alone being made a series regular for next season, but his acting skills have improved (a little) since Teen Wolf and his chemistry with Thea does add more zest and an ability to like his character. I just hope they have time to manage the characters well and not shove anyone to the back.

• Alan says:

never heard of the guy before he was cast on this show so i was amazed at the reaction to his casting, so far though i havent seen anything that would warrant such an attitude towards the guy.

• asdf says:

I absolutely love Colton Haynes, he is a fantastic actor and is hilarious in all the interviews I have seen, especially for teen wolf. I was thrilled to see him in Arrow.

3. brb123 says:

He is currrently my least favorite character in Arrow and I don’t see this changing soon. Wish they hadn’t focused on him as much this episode..

4. Jason says:

I’m with DocWhoFan above….Colton on Arrow every week? There will be smoke emitting from both my TV and my boxers.

5. 2pala says:

I’m really skeptical about this. There are so many characters I already like on Arrow, it’s hard to imagine adding one more. So much is being made in the media about him, is it just to attract his fans? I’m looking forward to Shado/Oliver, but not much has been said about that, so I hope she doesn’t get set aside.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Shado is very barely on tonight; will figure more largely in the next episode.

• luli says:

Who is shado???

• brb123 says:

Yao Fei’s daughter. She was introduced in The Odyssey and she and Oliver have the same dragon tattoo on their sholders.

• Alan says:

to give any real description of her would be to spoil a lot of comics, basically she and oliver have an interesting relationship in the comics which i would be amazed to see play out on this show in any way similar

• brb123 says:

I am more interested in Shado too, and besides, Malcolm dressed is his costum is supposed to go after Moira, maybe in this episode (they showed part of that scene in the sizzle reel in the paleyfest panel,) and this isn’t mentioned anywhere.

6. mia says:

I don’t mind him being added, I like him and Thea but I’m really not okay with how pronounced his character is becoming and so quickly. It feels unneccessary. And like he’s crowding out the other characters. What the show doesn’t need is another lead male character; build up the secondary characters and for goodness sake give poor Laurel something to do.
    I’d rather see Laurel get into the crime fighting with Oliver than this new kid.

7. stargazer60 says:

So far I am not impressed with the character of Roy. I fail to see what he has to offer to move the story forward. It’s fine Thea gets a boyfriend, but other than that? Meh.

8. SA says:

Am I the only one that finds the Laurel character completely boring and useless? Nothing against Katie because I actually like her but this character is without and I think the show could off her tomorrow and it would be no big deal to me personally.

• Michelle says:

No, it’s not just you. I can’t stand Laurel either. Of she disappeared I wouldn’t miss her. There are far more interesting people on this show.

• brb123 says:

This season is focused on Oliver but I hope the next season will also focus on Laurel and her becoming the Black Canary. I think she will be more interesting then when they give her things to do.

• Drake says:

You will bow down to Queen Canary one day suckers.

She isnt going anywhere and she is one of the best character this series has even if lots of you dont realise it,YET and underestimate her.

• mia says:

I want them to give Laurel something to do. Katie is a great actress and they are wasting her. The character should be adding a spark and freshness to the show, but they aren’t using her right (or really at all). I think Tommy is a useless character (and so boring) and I think that them tying Laurel to Tommy has only made it worse.

9. Anna says:

I couldn’t care less about his character and I don’t really like him anymore after how he left Teen Wolf. I just don’t get this guy. But I guess he’ll stick around so I have to like him? Idk… more Barrowman, I say!

• Drake says:

Yeah you have no choice there.

smart cookie.

• Bo says:

um
      the teen wolf producers on wanted him for 12 out of the 24 episodes he would also be limited in doing other roles
      and besides
      if he left on such bad terms why has he been seen on the set of teen wolf season 3
      the pictures are all over the net
      people tend to forget acting is just the same as any job – you have to look out for your future
      moving from MTV to CW is a step forward career wise plus he will probably get a better salary next year

10. sarah says:

Love this show! I look forward to it each week and come May it will be a long summer until season 2 premieres.

11. Jared says:

Colton Haynes is a great addition to the Arrow cast. I really like the idea of Roy becoming a more central part of the storyline. Obviously Oliver will be taking him under his wing and will eventually become a sidekick to Arrow. Its hard to judge Roy’s character because he hasn’t had many scenes but tonight I have a feeling that will change. Can’t wait to watch!

12. Anna says:

Here come the Roy/Oliver fanfics!

13. Brandon says:

It seems like I’m in the minority here, but I like that Colton has been added to the main cast of “Arrow.” I’m glad he was able to land another high-profile role after he left “Teen Wolf.” He’s a really good actor, and I’m looking forward to seeing what happens with his character as the season comes to a close.

14. frankm says:

I see what people are saying with adding characters but if you look at assemble casts with shows like Vampire Diaries, Smallville, Lost to name a few, I think adding a couple more characters won’t hurt Arrows ability to tell the story. They will simply have focus on certain characters some episodes and other characters other episodes

• Zathe says:

Exactly, any good show needs a strong ensemble cast. And Colton Haynes was perfectly cast. fantastic actor and a fantastic character. He really is a great addition.

Roy is a big character in the Green Arrow mythology, his appearance was always a given and he is here to stay. Nothing is gonna change that. Give him a chance, he is awesome.

15. april says:

Hulu had the episode on this morning. It was a great episode not sure if it was a mistake on their part or its a special thing they do for Hulu + customers

16. Nick says:

While I don’t really care for Colton as an actor, I do like the Character of Roy Harper. Roy as a character is a great way to expand the Arrow family, just as Felicity has added more depth to the Arrow family Roy will become a bridge between Oliver’s home life and his Arrow personality since Roy can be affiliated with both sides, if he becomes Speedy/Red Arrow/Arsenal/Hood2.0 that will add depth and allow Digle to train Roy, you can’t throw Roy into being a sidekick too quickly, and Oliver doesn’t have time so that leaves Digle for combat training. Doing that adds a nice aspect to the story and adds eye candy Haynes and Amell shirtless sparring, yeah the female audience will love that.

The storyline i don’t care about it Laurel’s sister, i know she’s probably going to be Black Canary since Laurel doesn’t have any reason to become a vigilante but come on. Whether Sara Lance is alive or dead means absolutely nothing to me. I’d rather see Slade’s kids Joe Wilson (Jericho), Grant Wilson (Ravager),or Rose Wilson (Ravager) show up as villains next season.

The sad truth about this series is that I feel like i know what’s going to happen. Here are my predictions: Eddie Fyres is going to be shown that he’s not the bad guy and that actually the villain on the Island is Slade. ( how else do you explain oliver’s underworld connections) The undertaking revolves around some biological agent that will likely awaken a meta gene giving powers to certain people wile killing others. Malcom Merlyn is going to die (John Barrowman always dies) forcing Tommy to take up the mantle of The Dark archer and we will get a rivalry were Oliver can’t kill his opponent because they were friends and it would hurt Laurel. Sara Lance is alive and will likely be Black Canary. Lets see if I’m right.

17. dee123 says:

Has he dressed up in black face again? The no talent racist?