Exclusive

Fun Grimm Exclusive: Peek Inside Nick's Books for a Look at This Week's Mysterious Wesen

In this Friday’s Grimm (NBC, 9/8c), a dastardly Wesen targets a video game company. As if it’s not enough that the monster is killing at will, the cryptic messages he leaves behind demand that his pursuers guess his name.

Nick and Hank wind up on the trail of this online Rumplestiltskin — and with this exclusive page from the Grimm’s library, you can be, too.

RELATEDGrimm Exclusive: Former Wire Politico Cast in Mysterious Season-Ending Arc

Peruse the page below for more info on the mysterious killer, then visit the show’s Facebook and Twitter pages for more excerpts from Nick’s secret tomes. And make sure to hit the comments below: How many aliases for Rumplestiltskin can you uncover?

Grimm Season 2 Spoilers

1. Heseltine says:

And the torture of the German language continues… well, at least this time, it’s almost a real word.

• Rune says:

Its a fantasy show..it’s not real so who cares if its real Deutche or not? Im German and it doesnt bother me a bit. Its all in fun…Ser Shon. :) Maybe Peggy Hill — Temporary Spanish teacher on Hank Hill (also a fantasy show) — should be hired on as a writer and they can use some of her Spanish words! LOL :) That would be funny!

• Spade13z says:

Get over it and yourself, Heseltine. Its fantasy show not something that’s real. Unless perhaps you are under the delusion that there are Vessen prowling about.

• moobear says:

German is no stranger to torture, my god how many ‘the’s’ does a language need? Luckily the only people I speak German to, tend to be non native German speakers and we use it as a bridge language, so no one much cares if we’re fudging the grammar.

2. LPD says:

I just want to add to other comments here and say that medieval German was VERY different from modern German. Even modern German translators have trouble with the medieval, because there were regional variations & many different dialects. Germany didn’t become a single unified state until mid-1800’s. Standardized German language would have come after that. Do I think Grimm writers are using medieval German? Probably not, but who knows? To be strictly accurate Nick’s book would have been written in medieval German or in different dialects, at the very least.

• Viv says:

I´m German and I have fun with these pseudo-german words. ^^ And “Fuchsteufelswild” is a real German saying.
      The texts in Nicks book are not in medieval German or different dialects. More like google translator. It doesn´t bother me. I´m not looking the show for accurate German, but because it is a great show.
      (and sorry for my bad english)

3. Jimmy Tee says:

it’s a kind of a German pig Latin spoken by 5th generation in the segregated Volga German/Russian neighborhood in St Johns north Portland. And if you think that’s a language slaughter try the street slang mixed Vietnamese..

4. Dawn says:

I can’t believe that someone has a hang up on whether or not the German is “correct” or not, this is for entertaining purposes only. Give me a break. If you can’t watch the show and enjoy it don’t watch it! Just my opinion.

5. Claire says:

Please, does anyone know when we can see this in the UK? I watched all the others (age 51) with my daughter and loved it!

6. Is this a “hopping mad” wolverine? “Synonyms” listed in Wikipedia include:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumpelstiltskin –> Khlamushka Whuppity Stoorie Gilitrutt Joaidane Ruidoquedito

7. There’s an error in the English, too. “Shutter” should be “shudder.” #Grimmscan’tspell

8. LSF says:

German here, too. It doesn’t bother me that some names for Wesen are a bit weird or a mix of German and English (Skalenzahn ftw), actually that’s kinda funny – this one is pretty accurate btw, I guess ‘hopping mad’ is a good translation. :)

9. Katze says:

Who wrote the text on the illustration? Spelling is horrible!
    Love the show, and my German boyfriend gets a huge kick out of the funny German names.