Idology: Why Lazaro's Got to Go! Plus: Angie's Theatrical Problem and The Rise of Janelle!

There’s disagreement brewing on this week’s installment of Idology. More specifially, my cohost Melinda Doolittle and I offer split opinions on the Beatles Week performances of American Idol Season 12 ladies Angie Miller and Amber Holcomb.

Is the former too melodramatic? Is the latter not dramatic enough? And who’s going to side with Jimmy Iovine?

RELATED | American Idol: 22 Fresh Theme Nights That Need to Happen Right Now

One thing we can agree on, though, is that Lazaro Arbos is overstaying his Idol welcome after another woeful showing on the Beatles’ “In My Life.” We also talk about the core problem with the Season 12 men, dish the in-the-nick-of-time comeback of Janelle Arthur and dissect the week’s greatest moment (two word hint: muhhh-ddy water).

RELATED | American Idol: What Should the Top 8 Sing for (Yet Another Installment of) Motown Week?

So press play below for the full Idology experience, and follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV for all my Idol-related news, interviews, videos and recaps!

VIDEO | Idology: Curtis Finch Jr. Questions Idol‘s Year of the Woman, Talks Playing ‘Bad Guy’ in Hollywood

1. darcy's evil twin says:

Crystal Bowersox performed on Jay Leno tonight. She looked and sounded great. She has a new album out and is also starring in a musical this summer about Patsy Cline.

• LeahKittyS says:

I know. I’m so happy for her. I was fine with Lee winning, but she was my favorite that season. Her first album was great (I even used one of the songs as a Valentine’s Day present for my boyfriend).

2. CAS says:

LOVE watching “Idology”. It brings up little fine points about the performances that I didn’t catch when I watched it the first time, and I love that. Also like that Melinda stuck up for Angie, who I think was perfect with her rendition of “Yesterday”. LAZARO MUST GO!

3. Shari says:

If you wanted to see emotion go back and watch David Cook’s Eleanor Rigby. I think we all know who should have been voted off.

4. Marco says:

After last night’s The Voice, I must say, it’s a better show than Idol, better concept, better judges, and better talent. Let’s move Candice, Kree, Angie and Burnell over to The Voice, put one on each coach’s team, and shut down American Idol for the season.

• deedee says:

Eww, ick, for me – not a better concept than Idol. The Voice is all about the judges, and, really, who cares about the judges! The fact that they have a personal stake in who wins also makes the judging biased (obviously). Idol is the only one that manages to keep my loyalty and attention – even in a horrible, horrible season like this one.

• karen says:

This is one of my favorite Idol seasons ever. Excellent contestants in the top 10. Stars in the making.

• LeahKittyS says:

Yay! Positivity! I like this season, too. Janelle is soft and sweet, Candice brings down the house every time, Angie is beautifully dramatic, Amber is a little spitfire, Kree is a country powerhouse, Paul is all kinds of charming, Burnell has the most gorgeous tone, Devin is so easy on the ears, and Lazaro is…really cute. (Curtis is my only complaint, but he’ll be fine on tour. Even Sanjaya sounded decent live.) I thought last year’s tour would be my very last one, but this year I have to go again.

5. Hmr says:

You need to cut Devin some slack. He goes to a naval academy so he is less likely to be overly emotional. When he performed “Power of One” he connected with the audience just fine. Hopefully he will perform something uptempo by Stevie Wonder.

6. Name That Tune says:

Before heading into live rounds, here are the latest Twitter numbers:
    1. Angie up 29, 900 since top 10 week
    2. Lazaro up 22, 100
    3. Candice up 18, 800
    4. Kree up 15, 500
    5. Burnell up 14, 000
    6. Janell up 10, 000
    7. Amber up 8, 456
    8. Devin up 8, 432

It seems that the bottom 3 will be Devil, Amber & Janell. Odds are Devin leaves and next week the judges will be using their save. And Jimmy Iovine will continue to have nightmares about Lazaro winning.

YouTube numbers for top 9 performances
    1. Angie 159, 000
    2. Burnell 94, 000
    3. Candice 83, 000
    4. Amber 59, 000
    5. Lozaro 56, 000
    6.. Kree 55, 800
    7. Janell 54, 400
    8. Devin 37, 000
    9. Paul 31, 000+

Total YouTube numbers since live rounds (last 3 performances)
    1. Angie (1, 116, 000)
    2. Candice (993, 000)
    3. Burnell (822, 000)
    4. Amber (593, 000)
    5. Kree (205, 000)

Remove the Lazaro factor & are top 3 could be Angie, Candice & Burnell. Angie is losing momentum, while Burnell & Candice are gaining it.

• LeahKittyS says:

Thanks for keeping these records. Though I’m not sure they would use the save on just any girl, as desperate as they are to make this year’s Crown Ruler a queen. I think they may be reserving it for an emergency situation (aka Angie, Candice, Kree).

• Guitar Blue says:

At this point, The Voice seems to be pulling an equal number of TV audience as Idol, but a younger demographic. While The Voice has not resulted in a lot of national notoriety or Billboard success for it’s top 10 or 12 contestants thus far —- speculation is that the top 8 on The Voice this year may be a much stronger group than on their previous seasons……………………………….

Motown should play to the strengths of some of the Idols, but make some appear far out of their wheelhouse.

7. Merrick says:

AMBER. Totally agree with Michael, so glad you said what you did. Miss Melinda, I adore you, but go listen to Al Jarreau’s version of the song, and then listen to Amber’s and you’ll see that she got it. I thought her vocal was STUNNING. And I also thought she got the emotion of it. I don’t understand why you and Nikki feel that she was disconnected from the song. No way! Amber GOT IT.

• teatime says:

Thanks for the heads up that there is an Al Jarreau version! They should have said on the show that she was performing that version. A) to give credit where it is due and B) to help explain the arrangement for viewers who might have wondered why she sang it like that.

8. Abiuwsue edihaloi: Doctor Approved Prosolution Pills nauieic unuioyfu