How I Met Your Mother: Six Potential Moms Debunked -- and Two Who Could Still Be The One

How I Met Your Mother welcomes back Jayma Mays’ coat check girl on tonight’s episode (CBS, 8/7c), so we have to ask: Is she the mom?

Unfortunately, Ted already ruled out the pixie as his future wife via voiceover in Season 1. But her surprise return got us thinking about the other women who’ve crossed the bachelor’s path and set off our mother-alarm bells.

RELATED | HIMYM Scoop: Is Mircea Monroe Hot… Or Not?

With the series finish line in sight, TVLine has gathered the eight best candidates for the role of Mrs. Mosby — both those who failed to get the part and two that could still be The One.

Check out the gallery below, and then hit the comments with your thoughts.

1. Rachel says:

I don’t remember Barney’s sister ad Ted having a fling….when did I miss an episode? Was that this season? I’ve been getting a little tired of this back and forth, so I did skip a few episodes.

2. Belle says:

Barney and Robin are meant to be together, and will be. I don’t think we have met “the mother” yet…I think they are going to bring in a ringer that will shock and surprise all us fans!! But in a good way :) Or Ted marries Robin’s little sis as played by Lucy Hale years ago – she is Aunt Robin, who says she isn’t really in truly their Aunt Robin and not some moniker given to a best friend who’s always around???? Ahhh, got you thinking didn’t I?

3. Brian says:

Let’s all think about this isn’t the mystery of the show already gone. The show is called “How” I Met Your Mother not Who. He already told the kids how he met her at Barney’s wedding. The show shoud have been over cause I’m sure the kids don’t care anymore they heard the punch line. That being said I still love the show.

• Robert says:

Errr, by your logic the mystery is not gone. The show isn’t called “Where I Met Your Mother”. The whole point of a good meeting story is well…. the story, not the location.

• Aryn says:

Boy you are a REAL bummer! The mystery is certainly not gone. This show is based on the story of how they met – which includes all the ups, downs, and inbetweens throughout the start of Ted’s adult life (i.e. beginning of college). And speaking as a “kid” I would love to hear the story, in detail, of how my parents met if it resembled anything even remotely has funny and interesting as Ted’s – I mean what a story :) Enjoy the ride man, don’t bring us down!

4. Emily says:

I still think that Bump Girl was to be the mother at one point. If that´s still the case or if the writers backpaddled because that theory became so popular and the fans basically figured it out i don´t know. I think the episode with her in aired just after the Writer´s Strike and the first dialogue after her appearance was something like “Dude i have second thoughts about your theory” so i always thought those were giveaways.

5. arianeb says:

Assuming we have not met “The Mother” yet, I know the perfect actress to play her: Lyndsy Fonseca!! Why? Because the actress has aged 8 years since those cold openings with her playing the daughter were shot, so would it not be funny on many levels to have the same actress play her own mother? The only thing standing in the way is that she is busy on Nikita currently.

• Lauren says:

I’m glad I’m not the only one thinking that Lyndsy Fonseca would be a great choice :)

• rockgolf says:

I’ve made that prediction for a couple of years now and it still makes sense to me.

• Mike says:

No, that’s just wrong, she is supposed to be Teds daughter. Ew.

• arianeb says:

She is supposed to older Ted’s daughter. Lyndsy was 18 when they shot those cold openings, she is now 26, which might be a little young for Ted in his mid 30s, but not too bad. The “Son” looks like a young Ted, so why can’t the “daughter” look like a young herself?

• T.K. says:

I totally agree. I realized that at the beginning of the 8 season. But I never thought they would go for it. It would be to controversial. Pity, she is the only logical choice. And she resembles Robin which makes perfect sense.
      The girl they chose is completely average. And she looks like Lilly. I can’t understand why so many people are delight with her. You could substitute her with tens of thousends of other girls. That wouldn’t make any diference.

6. joAdonisT says:

Wasn’t the Bump Girl episode also the episode Ted got the yellow umbrella that supposedly belong to the “Mother”. I really think the Bump Girl is the mother.

7. JB says:

The Perfect Match seems likely too old to be the mother.

We know the mother was in that 300-level Econ class at the start of s5. If she is a “traditional” college student, like the rest of the class they showed, she would be 21 – 23 at that time. That puts her 18ish back in s1 – far too young to be enrolled with a Matchmaker service.

Even if she isn’t a traditional college aged student, she has to be younger than Ted, and the above still seemingly holds true. Otherwise, she is really close to the Age-35 cutoff where pregnancies become risky.

From everything we know and have seen of Total Romantic Ted, he would likely not risk His One (nor Luke and Leia) in that scenario.

• HIT says:

Ted stole The Perfect Match’s info from the matchmaker (because she was engaged), and already met her. She was at least the same age as him, so I’d have to agree that it can’t be her. And from all the other information we’ve learned about the mother, it doesn’t seem at all plausible that it’s her…then again, this is a tv show.

• Lisa J says:

This is another match from the matchmaking service. This is the one he stood up to rescue Lily in upstate NY when she was applying for the fellowship that ended up taking her to SF. So she still could be the one.

8. Pickles says:

Kinda bummed they squashed Barney’s half sister theory. That would’ve been pretty cool

9. Aryn says:

Whoever Ted ends up with in the end, is not the point of this show. It’s HOW they met…so it can be some random chick and it won’t matter because I’ve loved every minute of this show!! I hope the mother is just someone who was in the background at some point, and wasn’t a major character – the ‘story’ is the mother whomever she may be :)

10. Ashlyn says:

I have an odd feeling that it was meant to be Barney’s half-sister, but then they moved away from that when all the fans started pointing the finger in that direction. I hate it when writers do that…..completely changing a plot because the fans figured it out. Why is that such a bad thing? Oh well. HIMYM isn’t the first show to do that, and they certainly won’t be the last.

• Azerty says:

I liked that theory too and had no problem with it but a lot of people would have said “yeah whatever, saw this coming miles away, so predictibale blablabla”. I think that’s why they changed it…

11. april-ann says:

If it were to be either one of those women I think I’d be a little disappointed. I feel like we’ve been on this journey with Ted, who has waited a long time to meet her, and to think that he could have met her years ago would be frustrating. And I like to think that when he finally does see/meet her for the first time, she’d make a greater impression on him than him just leaving to go chase after Robin or anyone/anything else.

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

I agree 100% – I think at this point, there really needs to be a ‘wow’ moment when the mother is finally revealed. It will be someone new we haven’t seen yet. The setting is already pretty good – Farhampton station. Rain coming down, yellow umbrella out. Bays/Thomas have set this up well – I think the reveal will be pretty good. It will be someone new to the show/cast – a ‘wow moment’.
      In my mind, I see that umbrella tipping down a bit to reveal who she is in this season’s final episode in May. That may be all we get at this point, but I think that’s plenty. We see the mother at that point at the station, and then it’s onto season 9 and more details and interaction w/Ted and the gang. In a sense, Ted ‘sees’ the mother at the wedding – she’s in the band. So, Ted has seen the mother by the time he gets to the station – and it is there that we see her for the first time and he ‘meets’ her. It may not be anything more than ‘hello’, but at this point, that’s plenty.

12. Pepper says:

It would be awesome if it turned out that Ted is actually insane and just hallucinates his kids. Seriously, how can someone be this picky and unlucky? He’ll lose it and ends up in the loony bin.

13. Nic says:

I wonder if they’ll do a swerve where we meet the ‘mother’ but that’s not who Ted ends up with?

• Lily says:

This is interesting. I mean, the show is called ‘How I Met Your Mother’ not ‘How I Met My Wife’. Ted’s wife really doesn’t have to be the mother of his kids, in the end.

14. ZisforZombie says:

Can someone please answer this for me – isn’t there an episode (maybe one with Rachel Bilson) where someone mentions that the mother is blonde? Me and my brother argue about this all the time…I feel like I’m taking crazy pills!

• Teddy Westside says:

In the episode “Challenge Accepted” Ted wants to give Zoey an orchid while she’s waiting for him at a coffee shop, but instead of giving it to her directly he enlists an old lady to give it to her instead with the instructions, “Give it to the blonde sitting at the table.” When the lady gives the flower to the wrong blonde Narrator Ted tells his kids, “That’s how I met your mother…Psych!!…She was just some chick.” thu indicating that the mother might be blonde.

15. The mother is blonde. It’s been seen from the back of head head a few times, they might change it up, but she is a blonde.

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

For some reason, I’m always thinking brunette, but I don’t know why. Do you recall the episode[s] where we see the mother’s back of head? The only two episodes I can recall seeing her at all (beyond long-shot under the umbrella) was ‘Girls Versus Suits’ [S5.12], when Ted is in the apartment that she shares w/Cindy (Rachel Bilson) – we see the mother’s leg/ankle as she’s walking into her room from the shower, and we see her again in ‘Farhampton’ [ S8.1] at the station – again, just see legs [terrific legs btw] and ankles and cool shoes! That’s all I recall – legs only.

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

Also, in ‘Big Days’ [S6.1], Ted runs into Cindy [Rachel Bilson] at the bar, and she’s with her girl friend [Casey], who is blonde [Kaylee DeFer]. Ted thinks that she is Cindy’s roommate, but she is not. Ted see’s the two ladies again on a train in this season’s ‘Band or DJ’ [S8.13]. That may be where fans are recalling a blonde in the equation, but that blond is Casey.

• DarkDefender says:

Also, when Ted joked to his kids that Stella was their mother and she appeared in the flash forward… The kids changed (because Stella was blonde) if I recall it right. So I think the mother is brunette..

And I hope we are all pleasantly surprised, and that they reveal her in this seasons finale and next season we see why she fits in so great with the gang…

16. Gerry says:

I am still voting for Robin, she and Barney are not the best couple at all, it should be she and Ted.

17. Sarah says:

It doesn’t matter who the mother is…this is really the story of how Ted met Robin. The creators say there is a big reason he started the story with how he met robin, and once said “robin is the end game, just not in the way you might think.” Barney is either dead or he and robin didnt work out. And the mother is dead (probably has been for awhile at the point Ted is talking to the kids. He is telling them this whole story so they understand how much he loved their mother, and that the only other person he ever felt that way about was “aunt robin.” He is telling them this to set up telling them that he and robin are back together. The end.

• himymfan says:

BOOO!!!!

• Erica says:

That is incredibly dumb, Barney and Robin are great together. Ted always had a obsession with Robin and he let her go when they were in the car when Barney was going to propose and Ted told her to get out of the car to go to Barney. Barney and Robin are going to get married and stay married, and Ted will meet the mother finally. The End.

• Sarah says:

I’m not saying this is what I want to happen, I’m just saying it has been pretty clear it’s where it is going for awhile. Even with the whole Marshall/lily bet about Ted and robin ending with lily saying she won and Marshall saying “not yet.”
        I am sick of ted/robin as anyone else (although truthfully I think her and Barney are ridiculous). But after tonight’s episode I’m even more convinced that mommy dearest dies.

• jessica says:

Yes, I too got an overwhelming feeling that the mom dies, and that’s why Ted is telling the kids the story of how he met her.

• HIMYMFAN says:

Hi Sarah, I think your comment makes a lot of sense. :)

18. Sheila says:

If it turns out to be Victoria, I will personally hunt down and sucker punch every single writer of this show.

19. Sheila M says:

Weird, another Sheila above-must be “20 minutes before me Sheila” because Victoria BUGGGGGSS me too!!

I have a premonition that Ted is telling the kids all about the mom because she is sick, and/or passes away-especially when he wishes he could still have the 45 ‘extra’ days with her in tonight’s episode. Hopefully just sick, because that would be a bummer-but it would make more sense if we get a whole season to get to know her and love her. It would be great if they decided on the actress years ago and we could see a flashback of her in some kind of montage of backgrounds. I actually thought this was the last season, so glad there’s another-whew!

I’m pretty sure we did see the back of mom’s head in an episode and she was blonde-it would be great to see her being an age appropriate, 30s actress who is quirky and funny, not just pretty-maybe like Anna Faris, Alicia Silverstone or Sienna Miller types..

20. AM says:

how about robin’s sister? is it a possibility

• Teddy Westside says:

No, Ted says in “Lucky Penny” that he had not yet met the Mother, Ted had already met Robin’s sister by that time. Also, Ted tells his kids a convoluted story about the sister’s fate that the kids would have known was false if she was their mother.

• HIMYMFAN says:

I hope not, Robins sister seems to lack character.Ted’s wife has to be someone with a strong personality not some little girl with no depth. This is especially true if she turns out to be much younger than him-at least in my opinion.

21. LL says:

I’ve been a supporter of the idea that the girl has to be the one he bumped into and had the moment with. While this may have changed, and the actor they use to play her may change I don’t see any other reason why that would have got mentioned. Each episode is a retelling of his past to his children 30 some years later; why else would he remember bumping into one particular stranger. I mean it’s New York, getting bumped into would be a trivial matter that you don’t forget, unless you have a love at first sight moment that you’re too drunk to unfortunately realize.

With all the revelations that have come to light during this season it seems pretty obvious that the mother will be in the band, as there was the big debate whether there should be a band or not; which ends up with a band suggested by her former roommate whom Ted has already said ends up being his wife. Additionally, at the train station scene when they showed the girl she’s carrying a guitar case.

I figure we will get to meet her either in the last episode of this season or the first of next season. And the majority of next season will be spent making us like his wife so there is no objection as to their decision for his wife. Additionally, I predict there will be some sort of montage/flashback to all the different times we’ve seen or almost seen her, ie)the bump in, the wrong university class, etc.

• LL says:

Additionally, I like the idea of his wife being played by the girl who played by Lyndsy Fonsecal, never thought of that before.

22. sona says:

i think she is the one ! barney’s sister as well as the perfect match.. the same persn, the mother

23. lariet50 says:

Okay, I have to say a couple of things about last night’s episode. One, I totally didn’t understand the end part with Ted imagining talking to the mother. Two, Jayma Mays is wasted on “Glee.” I would love to see her have a major role in a good comedy. Three, I ADORED the end of last night’s episode with the three Barneys and three Ted singing.

24. Hannah says:

In which episode did they first mention Barney’s sister?? Cuz I had no idea he even had one until this season…

25. Lorelai says:

I hope this isn’t to farfetched but, I thought Rachel Bilson was the Mother!

26. Varad says:

Ted is supposed to meet his wife in 45 days, and is feeling lonely now. “The Mother” is dating someone who she’ll presumably break up with and will end up with ted. Sound a little desperate that they’ll marry the firsst people after a major life change??

27. yop says:

I’ts easy. The future wife of Ted is Robin, but she can’t get pregnant, sooo, the mysterious girl it´s just a substitute mother…that’s why ted’s kids call robin “aunt”.

• Amanda Naly says:

Robin is Barneys wife. The wifes name is Tracy, she plays guitar at the wedding, you have seen her foot and she is the match from season 1.

• kate wall says:

i really dont think its dr o brien (the match) because with a job like that why go back to uni and i kinda get this impression the roommate is closer to rachel bilsons age

• Summer says:

I really don’t think he would refer to her as “Aunt Robin” if he ended up with her after he had kids with someone else. They would not call their dad’s wife “AUNT.” Duh.

28. Amanda Naly says:

The last picture is of Jeanette

29. Mak says:

Robin can’t be the mother coz’ she is unable to give birth to children(Remember !)

Once very long back I read a n article IDR on which site ..they concluded mother is actually BARNEY’s SIS!

I know completely ridic..But she appeared in this season and also had a little fling with him..so now it seem plausible

Lately, I have benn reading a blog on TV,com
    There someone proposed theories after episode Time Travellers on these words of Ted

”I am always going to love you. Until the end of my days… and beyond”

H said either Mother is dead ot ted is about to die so he is going his kids about his mother

That whole article seem very interesting which actually makes me think ..this might be true

Maybe Both are dead and Robin(maybe) So, barney is Tel ling story to Ted Kids from his letters he left for them..Or something like
    Ad Bob sagets’s voice seem similar to barney’s voice lke he is old!

P.S – Just search for this page on TV.com and read it ..its very interesting though!

30. Chris says:

I don’t think the mother is dead b/c teds kids at some point dont show an interest in listening to the story in one episode the kids even say “are we being punished” and other stuff I cant quite remember I don’t think that’s the kind of response u would get if they knew the mother was dead or sum other kind of tragedy had happened.. now the 45 min comment could just be that he wants her now its been tough for ted with his ups and down and he wants to be with her already. the theory that barneys half sister is the mother could still be possible I know barney tells ted after he sees the picture on his phone that the girl is his sister but what if barney hired that girl to play his sister or sumthing like that Idk what do u guys think

31. sandeep says:

1.firstly Robin and barney are g8 together..i will hate te writers if they break them up .
    2.If u can slow down the railway station scene where the mother comes in a cab u can have a glimps of her face through the cab window and that face surely doesnt match robins (check it out .. ;) and her legs are shotter than robin so its not robin hence proved …If its robin te writers are loosing the story..and my interest ..

• sandeep says:

and 3.robin doesnt read in ted’s university as a student .. just not possible ..(she is a jounalist )
      not a economics student ..)

32. CG says:

I’m wondering if the Mother dies later on which is why older ted is telling his kids how they met. In a recent episode he went to her door and said something along the lines of “I know we’ll meet in 45 days but I wnat those days” which makes me wonder if he wants them because their time together later in life will be cut short.

33. Nik says:

I think the only reason why Ted was talking about the extra 45 days is because he loves her that much. He realized how lonely he was in that episode and if he knew how much he loved her he would want to spend every second with her. I think the only reason the kids said are we being punished is because… Well what teenager wants to hear the story of how their parents… Not something much st teenagers are thrilled about hearing.

34. Madds says:

The writters are not going to end what is essentially a feel good sit com by going “I met your Mum, we fell in love… then she died and I got with this other girl I’d been obsessing over for almost a decade even though she clearly never really loved me back in the same way and told me so repeatedly. She even married my best freind- but that didn’t work out so we made good on a depressing ‘if we’re single when we’re 40′ arrangement’ Bet you’re so glad you sat through this story now!”

Robyn is not the mother or Teds future wife- get over it.

35. shadaya says:

i dont think that it was bump girl because remember he said ‘im glad she didnt meet me there cos if she did i dont think she would of liked the person i was there.’ i dont think and i hope its not robin and i doubt its barneys sister because they had no connection and also robin cant have children remember? i hope once we meet the mother the show doesnt end there though

• Amanda says:

it will ……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

36. TL says:

It’s HOW he met the mother so it doesn’t necessarily mean he has to say who the mother is because the kids already know so why would he say, “your mother is …blah…”? Because they already know.
    I do actually like the concept of the mother being dead because that would be a chilling and satisfiying conclusion

• Amanda says:

CREAP MUCH!!!!!

• Jessica says:

he wouldn’t say, “your mother is” but he could say, “your mother was…”
      also, every time he mentioned “your mother was there…” he’d say, “but we’ll get to that later”
      So i think that the last season will be filling in the blanks.
      Perhaps even telling some of her adventures while Ted wasn’t around.
      Like what she did at the St. Patty’s Day party.
      It’d be interesting to watch their relationship flourish.
      and then in the last episode, have her come into the room while Teds finishing the story with the kids (even though those actors are old now)
      soooo… maybe have old Ted and ‘Mother’ meet the rest of the gang after Ted wraps up the storytelling with the kids.
      Or even show the front porch with Marshall and Lilly. These are the things that they need to cover just as a sense of closure.

37. SMatthews says:

One thing is for sure, Ted Mosby has gotten it in with quite an attractive bunch of females. If you’re raking in smokin’chicks like that on a regular basis, I gotta believe Ted meets his wife when he’s 60 years old and doesn’t have any game left.

38. Amanda says:

It is someone he has never met and it is his perfect match because they blured out her face in all the pictures

39. Erica Rahn says:

Bump girl looks like the woman they showed on the season finale tonight!

40. Sam says:

Is it possible that the kids are actually Barney’s kids and its the story of how Ted met Barney’s wife because Ted married Robin. It would explain the aunt Robin.

• Dan says:

In some episodes the kids apparently call him dad. Or maybe it’s just Barney standing behind Ted….

I totally agree with you and think that Ted is actually their uncle and married to aunt Robin :-)

After these 2 last episodes I don’t think Robin will marry Barney. And maybe Ted meets at. The station the one that will actually marry Barney.

41. Melissa says:

Maybe the woman at the train station is the kids birth mother. Ted and Robin end up together and adopt, since we know Robin can’t have kids.

42. Liz says:

Can you guys imagine if Ted’s wife is the woman in the first episode that Robin was talking to when she first met Ted?

I don’t remember if she was brunette or blonde or if she was already introduced as someone else…just a theory

43. Amber says:

in series nine lily meets the mother but what is her name? Would help a lot!