Doctor Who 'Prequel' Video: Get Back in the 'Swing' for the Midseason Premiere!

“Never ignore a coincidence. Unless you’re busy, in which case always ignore a coincidence.”

That well-known quote from Doctor Who‘s titular Time Lord might apply to the following prequel video, which finds The Doctor glumly hanging out in a playground, and chatting with a little girl with reclaimed mojo who thinks the idea of wandering about and waiting for destiny to intervene is “rubbish.”

RELATED | Doctor Who Preview: Cybermen, Ghosts, a Cold War Caper… and a Time Lord’s Secret Spilled?

Press play below for the “Prequel” to “The Bells of Saint John,” Doctor Who‘s Midseason premiere (Saturday, 8/7c on BBC America).

Excited for the further adventures of The Doctor and his new companion? Sound off in the comments!

1. gth says:

Ooooh this is far too sweet!!

2. Luis says:

Haven’t we been through this before with Amy and Donna? the whole i met you when you were a child thing…. you’re so important that we meet over and over again…

• Kaalyn says:

I think Moffat gets a lot of ideas from “this storyline gone this way” type brainstorming. The Amy as a child thing was basically a retread of Girl in the Fireplace – arguably the best episode of modern Doctor Who.

• Shaun says:

He doesn’t know it’s her……and he met her as a Dalek first.

• taliesin says:

Meeting Amy as a child was an accident – that’s where the Tardis fell. Amy’s obsession kept the Doctor in her thoughts and in her life even though he never saw her again as a child.

I get the impression that the Doctor knew Clara was coming there – he was specifically waiting for her to come to the swing. It’s the Doctor playing a little game with someone who keeps getting reborn.

• rowan77 says:

I thought the doctor’s meeting Amy as a child was an accident as well, but after watching The Doctor’s Wife (one of the best Who episodes ever) I think the TARDIS went there because it’s where he needed to be (patient zero).

There are, however, many recurring themes on Doctor Who. Mostly having to do with destiny with the universe conspiring to get the only remaining Time Lord to the right place at the right time for events that can and will have massive repercussions if he doesn’t fix things.

• taliesin says:

It was an accident from the Doctor’s perspective. The Doctor was just falling out of the sky. The Tardis had an agenda. :) And yes, that is a great episode!

• Alan says:

there is something far more complicated going on than just that, the storyline at play is that she keeps being born again and again through time, totally different.

• Silbax says:

Are you talking about the special episode for charity, Catherine Tate and David Tennant did? The one where hes the English teacher? Besides that I don’t remember him meeting Donna as a kid at all.

3. guest says:

So cute!

4. Shaun says:

Huh,that was interesting.

5. Sheldon W. says:

That is just too, too perfect!

6. taliesin says:

Just to add to my other thought, I think in this episode the Doctor is hanging around and watching Clara grow up because he is trying to learn exactly what is causing her to be reborn over and over. He is searching for clues at different points in her life.

• sarah says:

i think you are thinking too hard about this, i believe it is supposed to be just a fun, cute little clip to get people into doctor who again and get them excited for the weekend. if he was waiting for her why tell her that he doesn’t think he will find his friend again.

• taliesin says:

You mean besides the fact that “the Doctor lies?” :)
        The Tardis can take the Doctor anywhere, to anyone, simply by inputting the person’s name. He can bounce all over Clara’s timelines to try and find her secret. The idea that he randomly ends up in the park she frequents as a child is unlikely.

• Kevan says:

What about 10 and Donna though? He told Donna that it was highly odd that he kept meeting her and her family, so it must not be so easy.

• taliesin says:

I’m not saying there aren’t coincidences in DW. I’m simply saying at the end of the Christmas Special he’s specifically going off to look for Clara. Then we see a preview of the new episode where he’s talking to a little girl who is Clara. That doesn’t sound like a coincidence. That sounds like the Doctor doing exactly what he intended to do.

7. Kevan says:

I’m reserving judgment until I see how this unfolds and since I think Jenna Louise Coleman as Clara/Oswin is adorable. But after 2 and a half years, Moffat is sometimes too convoluted and clever for his own good and it gets a bit tiresome. I just want the show to go back to old fashioned fun, at least for awhile. Less River Song (she’s annoying these days), prophecy story arcs and all the rest of it. Give us a break from all of that until the 50th anniversary,y’know? But I’m starting to think Moffat is incapable of it. He can’t help himself.

• Nick says:

I’m new to the show, and I know I don’t quite “get” how the show works yet, but I’m often confused by alot of things. Especially the ending to the whole Amy, baby, river song saga…but it’s a fun show to watch, interested to see how the new companion works out!

• Tusk says:

Ive watched it for decades, collected the cybermen cut outs on the back of Wetabix boxes (yes, I’m on the door step of “ancient”) :P .
        IMO the key ingredient to enjoying The Doctor is “suspension of disbelief”. It is a science fiction show that tries to explain the human condition, humanity, in the context of the fantastic. That in betwixt the amazing, fantastic and the spectacle….it always comes back to the one thing that the Doctor finds most compelling….Humanity. :D

• Betsy says:

yep, I agree. there have been some amazing episodes, but sometimes moff is so far up his own behind he doesn’t realize what he’s banging out is entirely incomprehensible.

• Anon says:

I think one key difference between Moffat and RTD is Julie Gardner. Sometimes I think Moffat just needs someone to stop him! In all seriousness I think his ideas are good but he needs someone to edit him and say no, more. Just mo.

8. Ciara says:

I beg to differ on which episode is the best in New Who. It has to be ‘Blink’. Written well, good characters and a solid explanation as to why we watch Doctor Who.
    On the other hand, Clara seems to be a trap for the doctor. But maybe there’s a trap within a trap kinda thing going on there. And I agree Moffat should move on from River Song and complicated over the top story arcs. The pandorica warc was a joke and the doctor’s death arc was stretched too thin.

• Doug says:

“Blink” is the episode I use to introduce newbies to Dr. Who. It is a solid standalone episode yet it explains the Who-verse very well. And Carey Mulligan helps a lot (why did she ever cut her hair?)

9. Sean says:

I think Moffat needs to learn the difference between a prequel and a prologue.

• Alan says:

this isnt the first time theyve done it, and i dont think its moffats decision to brand them as prequels. i think thats the marketing people. not everything you dont like can be blamed on moffat, there are other people involved.

• Sean says:

It’s cool. I like Moffat. it’s just at least the second time they’ve called an episode prologue a prequel. Don’t know who else to blame. :-D

• Alan says:

its about the fifth or sixth time now, and yes it is annoying but i dont think its fair to blame it on moffat since its far more likely to be the bbcs marketing team that decided to call it that. without the facts its unfair to ascribe it to moffat.

10. mamamitzvah says:

bs’d
    Oh, Michael..If you were thirty years older and into, well, you know..63 year old women :) I would ask for your hand just for being so cute and smart. I am two seasons behind with my Doctor Who-ing. I just passed into the Matt Smith universe expecting to hate him, but I don’t. I actually quite like him. He is so simple and childlike. I am going to catch up this summer and start re-watching from the CE series. Perhaps I will go back to even earlier DWs.
    Just because there is a similarity to previous story lines does not mean it’s a retread. After all, as it says in the Book of Proverbs “En kol chadásh táchat hashámesh” ~~there is nothing new under the sun~~ It is all about what we do with what we have. Keep going, Mr Moffat!

11. Nicole says:

Re: River Song. You might want to read this past week’s Entertainment Weekly. I don’t want to spoil anything but…
    Also, I LOVE her.

12. Barb says:

Deja vu. The Doctor meets a companion as a child. Why couldn’t they just stick with a Victorian Clara and one without a bloody mystery. This is why I liked Donna so much because she was a mate/friend with no mystery.

13. AT says:

This is a very cute scene! BUT it does feel a bit repetitive in relation to Moffat’s female characters and story arcs. There’s Reinette who he meets as a little girl and then when she’s older. There’s a mystery around her. Then there’s River Song. A complete mystery. Who is she? Plus he also sees her as a little girl and as a little baby. Then there’s Amy Pond who he meets as a little girl. Time passes and she’s older. And guess what? There’s a mystery around her. She’s “the girl who didn’t make sense.” Now Clara. He meets her as a little girl, plus in various lifetimes. And…there’s a mystery around her. She’s the “impossible” girl. Oh and like River, her identity is a mystery. I mean, I’m not trying to be rude, but this just seems to be really repetitive. Also, I have to really disagree with the Doctor knowing this is Clara. The scene plays out as if he truly does not know he’s having a conversation with a little girl version of her. It’s all about destiny, or something bringing them together for whatever mysterious purpose. I think Clara is interesting and a good character. I just hope it doesn’t continue to be Amy, River and Reinette all rolled into one. Oh…and that little girl stuck in the computer in Silence in the Library. That whole story was eerily close to Clara’s in 7×01 when she was the Dalek. Sigh…

14. Ciara says:

I think the Doctor should meet his companions in thier future when they are old and elderly instead of thier past as a young girl.
    That would suprise me more thanvthevrepeated Reinette/Amy as young girls story.

15. crochetowl says:

It would be refreshing to have a companion that isn’t from the current era but one from the past or future. It’s getting redundant in new Who. Plus, no more of these arcs that last a series or two please. Classic Who only did it twice with the Key to Time and the Trial of the Timelord (3rd Doctors ‘incarceration’ on earth doesn’t count).

16. TVDIVA says:

This is so sweet and adorable. I am so glad I bought a season pass on ITUNES for Season 7 Part 2.

17. John says:

Your all “silly”…..

18. Steve James says:

There’s nothing cute and silly about this scene. It’s embarrassing and dodgy – like most of Moffat’s writing and *cough* ideas since he took over the show. But, you know, if Moffat wants to shove little girls down our throats endlessly then I’m sure the BBC will keep on letting him do that. As the song goes: “Moffat’ll fix it for you.. And you and you…”

19. I think this is one of the most significant information for me. And i’m glad reading your article. But should remark on some general things, The web site style is great, the articles is really great : D. Good job, cheers

20. mallry says:

I just wish I could find this episode when it airs. Our local PBS station quit carrying the Dr. years ago. And the newest episodes I can get are 3 years old on netflix.