Idology: Curtis Finch Jr. Questions Idol's Year of the Woman, Talks Playing 'Bad Guy' in Hollywood

Curtis Finch Jr. says there’s a lot of his American Idol journey that got left on the editing room floor.

Season 12’s 10th-place finisher reveals in his Idology interview which song he performed for the judges before his memorable rendition of “God Is Able,” what producers didn’t show about his Group Rounds drama with Charlie Askew, and how he’d hoped to go uptempo for Top 20 week — before switching to “I Believe I Can Fly.”

RELATED | American Idol: 22 Fresh Theme Nights That Need to Happen Right Now

So press play below to get all those anecdotes, plus Curtis’ thoughts on Idol‘s “season of women” and his dreams of playing drums on Top 9 performance night. And for all my Idol news, interviews and commentary, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. noa says:

turns out his “gift” has all kinds of limits.
    sorry. it ended like that so i was annoyed ;) but the rest of the interview was nice. he made me like him a little more- totally over that Hollywood week thing now.
    i was wondering when we were getting this interview. usually they’re posted on Wednesdays, no?

2. Kristi says:

Well he seems SLIGHTLY less arrogant here than he did on tv, so kudos to him. TBH I never even remembered the group round drama. I was just irritated by the smugness when he sang. But that’s just me…

• Claudia says:

Really? Less arrogant? He felt bad getting eliminated only because he didn’t get to show everything he can do…poor deprived us.

3. Lauren says:

I really I had gotten to see him sing “Superstition” at least once. I wonder why the producers pushed him in another direction. Sabotage?

4. Wow, he is even more unlikeable that I thought. His ego has no limits! Ba-bye Curtis wil not miss you one little bit!

5. SG says:

Yeah, I am liking him a little lot more already after that interview! Thnx Michael, & Michael you are fabulous, I think you should really have your on own TV show, you are so smart & entertaining, your critiques are pot on & no one knows idol better then you -don’t tell Jim Cantiello I said that ;)-

6. MB says:

It is really a shame that they edit people to seem like a villain. I know that hurt him bad. No matter what he did after that I was not going to like him. He is still not someone that I would have voted for though. I never liked his type of singing.

7. Tammy says:

would love a written transcript…… why can’t you post a written transcript

8. Danny says:

I didn’t realize Amber Holcomb got cut last year too. That makes me realize even more that this year isn’t as good as last. I think this year Amber & Candace are 2 of the top ones. Yet neither of them were as good as Elise, Skyler, Jessica or Hollie last year. Some people have said that Candace should have been easily in the live shows last year. I disagree. I think they pretty much got it right. Candace would have come in about at best 8th last year. She’s got a chance to win it this year.

• deedee says:

I disagree. Amber could have been picked over Shannon from that group. She’s a much better singer, and I’d say she’s on par with Holly (although different). And Candice is excellent no matter what season you plunk her in. I think her talent could have been appreciated even in a season with better singers and bigger competition.

• noa says:

i totally agree. Amber is way better than Shannon. and Candice is just as good as any woman last year. although i’m glad they’re both on this season, because neither would have lasted very long in S11 and now Candice is ahead of everyone else.

and the Hollie comparison is spot on. if she can just last long enough to get better like Hollie- things could get interesting. i’d say that to problem with S12 isn’t the top 4 ladies (Kree, Candice, Amber and Angie)- it’s with everyone else. S11 had a VERY strong top 10 (except maybe Heejun). the giant gap between the best and the worst this years makes the season not as good as last year. don’t blame Miss Candice. she is incredible.

• Katie says:

I disagree. That’s like saying last year wasn’t as good as the year before as Hollie got cut and came back and finished fourth. When talking about the singers at the younger end of the age range then it’s impossible to conclude it’s a worse year than the one before because they make it because they generally benefit from the experience that extra year gives them. and so obviously they make it further.
      That said both Amber and Candice could have easily replaced Shannon last year and I’ve no doubt Candice could place well in any year she was placed in

• Danny says:

@ Katie- I agree w/ the Hollie part. She was like 17 I think when she got cut. So another year helped her. In Candice’s case, she’s already mid 20’s I think. So another year didn’t help her out so much.

@ Dee Dee- Amber or Candice over Shannon, yea maybe. It’s not a definite one way or the other. Even so, Shannon was cannon fodder (Shannon the Cannon, terrible joke I just thought up). None of those 3 were better than Elise, Skylar, Jessica or Hollie though. At least that’s my 2 cents. Obviously your nickel says Amber was just as good as Hollie. That’s the fun in talking about this stuff.

And none of those 4 from last year were as good as Haley, Siobhan, Crystal, Allison, & Melinda. Though I think w/ the 4 girls + 3 real good guys, last years season was the best along w/ the year Allison, Kris, Adam, etc were on.

• darcy the slutty twin says:

Wait, Siobhan?! The one who sang too low on the verses and then predictably end each performance with a wail like a mating cat? That Siobhan?! I guess that’s your opinion, but there’s no way she is better than Jessica, Elise or Hollie. Or even Candice. Crystal was fantastic, though. She can sing anything.

• Danny says:

Hi Twin- Yuppers, that Siobhan. The one who sang Paint it Black. IMO the best Idol song ever done. She also did great w/ Aretha, House of the Rising Sun. We’ll have to disagree on if she was better than the names you listed. I like em all, but I think Siobhan was the 2nd best Idol ever after Haley. I thought she got some pretty unfair judging.

Out of curiousity, who are your fav Idols of all time? My list would be Haley, Siobhan, Allison, Bo.. those 4 stay pretty consistant. Then after that the list gets a bit more mixed. The next group of names in no particular order would be James, Crystal, Daughtry, David Cook, Elise, Skyler, Carrie, Kris, Matt (even though I knew he had no chance to beat Kris, Adam, etc- I liked that jazzy feel), Melinda, and all of the top 7 last year that I didn’t already mention. I liked DiDi too. She wasn’t a great singer I know, but she was pretty good and her voice sent chills down my spine. I would have had her 3rd that year after Siobhan and Crystal.

• Danny says:

Twin- Meant to add that I didn’t watch AI until season 4, so I’ve got no opinion on the previous 3 seasons. Also, I’m trying to think of them when they were on the show. Obviously Carrie has slayed it post Idol. At the time though, I thought Bo was a bit better. Both were excellent, just a slight not to Bo IMO.

• darcy the slutty twin says:

Well, I’ll give you “Paint It Black.” I just found her way too predictable. As for my favorites, I don’t know, I liked a lot of contestants, including some who went home early. Bo Bice, Nadia Turner, Jessica Sierra, Paris Benet, Elliot Yamin, Melinda Doolittle, David Cook, Brooke White, Ramiele Malubay, Michael Johns, Adam Lambert, Matt Giraud, Megan Joy, Kris Allen, Mishavonna Henson, Jesse Langseth, Crystal Bowersox, Lee DeWyze, James Durbin, Paul McDonald, Thia Megia, Stefano Langone, Phillip Phillips, Jessica Sanchez, Hollie Cavanagh, Heejun Han, Elise Testone. I could go on.

• mamamitzvah says:

bs’d
            Seriously, no love for Danny Gokey?

• darcy the slutty twin says:

Oh, I liked Didi too. She seemed like a more nervous Brooke White, but I liked her voice. Lacey Brown, too.

• Anna says:

Candice was 21/22 when she got cut- so she’s in her “early” twenties (although she does look a lot older than that).

• Wendy says:

Oh my. Just the opposite in my opinion. Amber and Candice are better than the girls last year. Just shows how everybody hears something different.

9. Kate says:

He seems to think pretty highly of himself…

• sally says:

If you don’t believe in yourself who will!!!!!! I think he knows he is good based upon the excitement that the crowd shows him in so rightfully so!

10. deedee says:

Wow, somehow I missed the fact that both Curtis and Amber were in the Vegas group with Josh last year … and I’ve watched the “Blue Suede Shoes” clip at least a dozen times! Amber looks like a little girl there with her swept up hair – I couldn’t even recognize her once I knew it was her!
    Curtis came off pretty ok in this interview. Not quite the villain he was edited to portray. Best of luck to him – he can certainly sing!

11. QueenJ says:

What a shock that the producers “gave” Curtis “I Believe I can Fly”. A point to proving my theory that these people are less and less able to even make their own song choices.

I always enjoy these Idology interviews, so thanks for continuing to do them!

12. Laura says:

Wow, I thought I didn’t like this guy before. Not I really don’t like him.

13. TT says:

I don’t think he was “edited to be a villain,” he was just himself and it bit him in his big fat arrogant ass.

14. Deb says:

You can’t edit in what is not said. Period. The producers are waiting to hear contestants say something so that they can create good guys/bad guys, always have and always will.. For people who say they grew up watching the show it is inconceivable to me that they act like they’ve never seen it.

15. Dan says:

I think he needs to be more careful in ho he is wording his sentences since he sounds arrogant… Or maybe he is just arrogant.

16. CK says:

Wow! Lots of negativity toward Curtis. I wasn’t a fan and don’t disagree with his elimination, but thought he seemed OK in this interview. Yeah, big ego, but that goes with the territory. Maybe it’s just because Michael has a way of bringing out the best in people. You know that, right Michael?

• LeahKittyS says:

I agree with this entire post.

• MamaLis says:

I know, right? Of course Michael is so great at these. But what is the purpose of people saying such outright rude things in Curtis’s interview column? Like if you wouldn’t say that to him in a room, why say it here? So WHAT if he has a “high” self esteem? Good for him. I say more power to him, man. Furthermore, as much as he may be “into himself” – he was also “into” his teammates – because week after week I saw that dude ON his FEET for those ladies each and every time they performed. So ya… thanks for the interview, Michael.
        And Curtis – go for it! May you get what you hope for and more.

• Alex says:

I didn’t mind him in this interview, but I disagree with your “big ego, but that goes with the territory” comment. Why? Plenty of actors/singers/other entertainers don’t come across as having big egos, so it certainly does NOT just “come with the territory.” Some people are simply jerks; others are not. I think that explains it far better.

• Rami says:

yes and you know him personally do you to call him a jerk? All the other contestants (who actually dealt with Curtis on a day to day basis for weeks) seemed genuinely upset when he was eliminated, even more so than with Paul’s who seems to be (and I am sure IS) a nice person.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Absolutely. I don’t know that he has a big ego but he definitely has a lot of confidence.
      Look at the horrible edit Lauren Alaina got on the program – and when Mr. Slezak interviewed her she was so delightful, funny, and engaging. I kept thinking, “Where was THIS girl on the program?”. Ever since then I’ve tried not to jump to conclusions about the contestants’ personalities.

• sara says:

A big yes to everything you said.

17. Guest says:

It seems like his only connection to religion is in the quasi-pop music that it uses as a smokescreen.

18. dan says:

He’s still annoying, better, but annoying. Best elimination ever, as said above. I hope the men get cut one right after the other, they can all go, except for maybe Burnell. If Lazaro comes out in one more hideous outfit he will lose whatever scrap of support I have for him.

19. mamamitzvah says:

bs’d
    Sorry, Curtis. I wish you all the best, but you are no more likeable today. You have a future but get your big head in check, my diva, or you will just become fodder for the tabloids.

20. charchar says:

American idol is a singing competition you vote best singer Curtis could sing anyway you put it and putting people through who can’t sing is doing that person a great injustice. Lets get back to voting by singing ability and not your personal views of a person character nobody’s perfect not even all of you.

21. Kate says:

Well. It’s telling that this was under 8 minutes when Mike’s interviews are often more like 10. And while I think it’s unfortunate Curtis apparently only has the one outfit (though it looks good!) I am genuinely happy for him that he has such strong faith and such high self-esteem.
    That being said, I CAN’T stand him.

22. lenna says:

I actually like him

23. Petey says:

What a tool. I assume Curtis didn’t see past Idologys or he would never haave come on. And if he did…how awkward for Michael

24. Blinged Up says:

Does anybody else’s cut off right before the 5 minute mark? Mine just cuts to “video is currently unavailable” at this point…. Oh well, enjoyed the first five minutes.

25. Jessica says:

That interview wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. I did feel he had enough time to do something different. The good stuff though is I could understand where he was coming from a bit. He’s a confident person and a little less smug here.

26. darcy's evil twin says:

Mr. Slezak, you have a way with Idol interviews! You ask questions the contestants aren’t expecting and seem to bring out their true nature. I didn’t get arrogance from Curtis at all. i think he’s very confident and comfortable with who he is and what type of music he likes performing.

“People have to remember American Idol is a reality show” (paraphrased). Well said, Curtis.

27. Trouty Mouth says:

I like that he’s confident. I’d take that any day over some 15-year-old saying “I have talent?”.