Idology: Curtis Finch Jr. Questions Idol's Year of the Woman, Talks Playing 'Bad Guy' in Hollywood

Curtis Finch Jr. says there’s a lot of his American Idol journey that got left on the editing room floor.

Season 12′s 10th-place finisher reveals in his Idology interview which song he performed for the judges before his memorable rendition of “God Is Able,” what producers didn’t show about his Group Rounds drama with Charlie Askew, and how he’d hoped to go uptempo for Top 20 week — before switching to “I Believe I Can Fly.”

RELATED | American Idol: 22 Fresh Theme Nights That Need to Happen Right Now

So press play below to get all those anecdotes, plus Curtis’ thoughts on Idol‘s “season of women” and his dreams of playing drums on Top 9 performance night. And for all my Idol news, interviews and commentary, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Comments (63)

• turns out his “gift” has all kinds of limits.
    sorry. it ended like that so i was annoyed ;) but the rest of the interview was nice. he made me like him a little more- totally over that Hollywood week thing now.
    i was wondering when we were getting this interview. usually they’re posted on Wednesdays, no?

Comment by noa – March 23, 2013 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Slezak, you are a true pro. I can’t believe you managed to keep a straight face throughout that interview! You talent has no limits!!!

Comment by bj – March 23, 2013 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • +1!

Comment by cjc – March 24, 2013 07:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Exactly. The only person I had more respect for after this interview was Slezak. Well done, sir. Containing the laughter must have been hard….

Comment by Teeny Bikini – March 24, 2013 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well he seems SLIGHTLY less arrogant here than he did on tv, so kudos to him. TBH I never even remembered the group round drama. I was just irritated by the smugness when he sang. But that’s just me…

Comment by Kristi – March 23, 2013 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Really? Less arrogant? He felt bad getting eliminated only because he didn’t get to show everything he can do…poor deprived us.

Comment by Claudia – March 23, 2013 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really I had gotten to see him sing “Superstition” at least once. I wonder why the producers pushed him in another direction. Sabotage?

Comment by Lauren – March 23, 2013 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, he is even more unlikeable that I thought. His ego has no limits! Ba-bye Curtis wil not miss you one little bit!

Comment by Sunny Mc (@mcdeallover) – March 23, 2013 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i agree!

Comment by tewence – March 23, 2013 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Best first week elimination – ever. Ugh, that guy is intolerable.

Comment by Temperence – March 23, 2013 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah, I am liking him a little lot more already after that interview! Thnx Michael, & Michael you are fabulous, I think you should really have your on own TV show, you are so smart & entertaining, your critiques are pot on & no one knows idol better then you -don’t tell Jim Cantiello I said that ;)-

Comment by SG – March 23, 2013 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is really a shame that they edit people to seem like a villain. I know that hurt him bad. No matter what he did after that I was not going to like him. He is still not someone that I would have voted for though. I never liked his type of singing.

Comment by MB – March 23, 2013 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • would love a written transcript…… why can’t you post a written transcript

Comment by Tammy – March 23, 2013 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t realize Amber Holcomb got cut last year too. That makes me realize even more that this year isn’t as good as last. I think this year Amber & Candace are 2 of the top ones. Yet neither of them were as good as Elise, Skyler, Jessica or Hollie last year. Some people have said that Candace should have been easily in the live shows last year. I disagree. I think they pretty much got it right. Candace would have come in about at best 8th last year. She’s got a chance to win it this year.

Comment by Danny – March 23, 2013 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I disagree. Amber could have been picked over Shannon from that group. She’s a much better singer, and I’d say she’s on par with Holly (although different). And Candice is excellent no matter what season you plunk her in. I think her talent could have been appreciated even in a season with better singers and bigger competition.

Comment by deedee – March 23, 2013 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i totally agree. Amber is way better than Shannon. and Candice is just as good as any woman last year. although i’m glad they’re both on this season, because neither would have lasted very long in S11 and now Candice is ahead of everyone else.

and the Hollie comparison is spot on. if she can just last long enough to get better like Hollie- things could get interesting. i’d say that to problem with S12 isn’t the top 4 ladies (Kree, Candice, Amber and Angie)- it’s with everyone else. S11 had a VERY strong top 10 (except maybe Heejun). the giant gap between the best and the worst this years makes the season not as good as last year. don’t blame Miss Candice. she is incredible.

Comment by noa – March 23, 2013 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I disagree. That’s like saying last year wasn’t as good as the year before as Hollie got cut and came back and finished fourth. When talking about the singers at the younger end of the age range then it’s impossible to conclude it’s a worse year than the one before because they make it because they generally benefit from the experience that extra year gives them. and so obviously they make it further.
      That said both Amber and Candice could have easily replaced Shannon last year and I’ve no doubt Candice could place well in any year she was placed in

Comment by Katie – March 23, 2013 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • @ Katie- I agree w/ the Hollie part. She was like 17 I think when she got cut. So another year helped her. In Candice’s case, she’s already mid 20′s I think. So another year didn’t help her out so much.

@ Dee Dee- Amber or Candice over Shannon, yea maybe. It’s not a definite one way or the other. Even so, Shannon was cannon fodder (Shannon the Cannon, terrible joke I just thought up). None of those 3 were better than Elise, Skylar, Jessica or Hollie though. At least that’s my 2 cents. Obviously your nickel says Amber was just as good as Hollie. That’s the fun in talking about this stuff.

And none of those 4 from last year were as good as Haley, Siobhan, Crystal, Allison, & Melinda. Though I think w/ the 4 girls + 3 real good guys, last years season was the best along w/ the year Allison, Kris, Adam, etc were on.

Comment by Danny – March 23, 2013 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Wait, Siobhan?! The one who sang too low on the verses and then predictably end each performance with a wail like a mating cat? That Siobhan?! I guess that’s your opinion, but there’s no way she is better than Jessica, Elise or Hollie. Or even Candice. Crystal was fantastic, though. She can sing anything.

Comment by darcy the slutty twin – March 23, 2013 08:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Hi Twin- Yuppers, that Siobhan. The one who sang Paint it Black. IMO the best Idol song ever done. She also did great w/ Aretha, House of the Rising Sun. We’ll have to disagree on if she was better than the names you listed. I like em all, but I think Siobhan was the 2nd best Idol ever after Haley. I thought she got some pretty unfair judging.

Out of curiousity, who are your fav Idols of all time? My list would be Haley, Siobhan, Allison, Bo.. those 4 stay pretty consistant. Then after that the list gets a bit more mixed. The next group of names in no particular order would be James, Crystal, Daughtry, David Cook, Elise, Skyler, Carrie, Kris, Matt (even though I knew he had no chance to beat Kris, Adam, etc- I liked that jazzy feel), Melinda, and all of the top 7 last year that I didn’t already mention. I liked DiDi too. She wasn’t a great singer I know, but she was pretty good and her voice sent chills down my spine. I would have had her 3rd that year after Siobhan and Crystal.

Comment by Danny – March 24, 2013 06:16 AM PDT
          • Twin- Meant to add that I didn’t watch AI until season 4, so I’ve got no opinion on the previous 3 seasons. Also, I’m trying to think of them when they were on the show. Obviously Carrie has slayed it post Idol. At the time though, I thought Bo was a bit better. Both were excellent, just a slight not to Bo IMO.

Comment by Danny – March 24, 2013 06:22 AM PDT
          • Well, I’ll give you “Paint It Black.” I just found her way too predictable. As for my favorites, I don’t know, I liked a lot of contestants, including some who went home early. Bo Bice, Nadia Turner, Jessica Sierra, Paris Benet, Elliot Yamin, Melinda Doolittle, David Cook, Brooke White, Ramiele Malubay, Michael Johns, Adam Lambert, Matt Giraud, Megan Joy, Kris Allen, Mishavonna Henson, Jesse Langseth, Crystal Bowersox, Lee DeWyze, James Durbin, Paul McDonald, Thia Megia, Stefano Langone, Phillip Phillips, Jessica Sanchez, Hollie Cavanagh, Heejun Han, Elise Testone. I could go on.

Comment by darcy the slutty twin – March 25, 2013 08:12 AM PDT
          • bs’d
            Seriously, no love for Danny Gokey?

Comment by mamamitzvah – March 26, 2013 10:38 AM PDT
          • Oh, I liked Didi too. She seemed like a more nervous Brooke White, but I liked her voice. Lacey Brown, too.

Comment by darcy the slutty twin – March 25, 2013 08:14 AM PDT
        • Candice was 21/22 when she got cut- so she’s in her “early” twenties (although she does look a lot older than that).

Comment by Anna – March 23, 2013 10:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh my. Just the opposite in my opinion. Amber and Candice are better than the girls last year. Just shows how everybody hears something different.

Comment by Wendy – March 23, 2013 09:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Not better than miss Sanchez, in my opinion.

Comment by JR – March 27, 2013 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • or the fabulous Ms Testone. Her “Whole Lotta Love” was just so…sgjfgkkjerjfkdnjfng (literally no word to describe it).

Comment by Trouty Mouth – March 30, 2013 07:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He seems to think pretty highly of himself…

Comment by Kate – March 23, 2013 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you don’t believe in yourself who will!!!!!! I think he knows he is good based upon the excitement that the crowd shows him in so rightfully so!

Comment by sally – March 24, 2013 10:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, somehow I missed the fact that both Curtis and Amber were in the Vegas group with Josh last year … and I’ve watched the “Blue Suede Shoes” clip at least a dozen times! Amber looks like a little girl there with her swept up hair – I couldn’t even recognize her once I knew it was her!
    Curtis came off pretty ok in this interview. Not quite the villain he was edited to portray. Best of luck to him – he can certainly sing!

Comment by deedee – March 23, 2013 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a shock that the producers “gave” Curtis “I Believe I can Fly”. A point to proving my theory that these people are less and less able to even make their own song choices.

I always enjoy these Idology interviews, so thanks for continuing to do them!

Comment by QueenJ – March 23, 2013 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, I thought I didn’t like this guy before. Not I really don’t like him.

Comment by Laura – March 23, 2013 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • *Now I really don’t like him.

Comment by Laura – March 23, 2013 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • me too! this made him look even worse than AI did

Comment by tewence – March 23, 2013 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think he was “edited to be a villain,” he was just himself and it bit him in his big fat arrogant ass.

Comment by TT – March 23, 2013 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You can’t edit in what is not said. Period. The producers are waiting to hear contestants say something so that they can create good guys/bad guys, always have and always will.. For people who say they grew up watching the show it is inconceivable to me that they act like they’ve never seen it.

Comment by Deb – March 23, 2013 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think he needs to be more careful in ho he is wording his sentences since he sounds arrogant… Or maybe he is just arrogant.

Comment by Dan – March 23, 2013 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow! Lots of negativity toward Curtis. I wasn’t a fan and don’t disagree with his elimination, but thought he seemed OK in this interview. Yeah, big ego, but that goes with the territory. Maybe it’s just because Michael has a way of bringing out the best in people. You know that, right Michael?

Comment by CK – March 23, 2013 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with this entire post.

Comment by LeahKittyS – March 23, 2013 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I know, right? Of course Michael is so great at these. But what is the purpose of people saying such outright rude things in Curtis’s interview column? Like if you wouldn’t say that to him in a room, why say it here? So WHAT if he has a “high” self esteem? Good for him. I say more power to him, man. Furthermore, as much as he may be “into himself” – he was also “into” his teammates – because week after week I saw that dude ON his FEET for those ladies each and every time they performed. So ya… thanks for the interview, Michael.
        And Curtis – go for it! May you get what you hope for and more.

Comment by MamaLis – March 23, 2013 11:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I didn’t mind him in this interview, but I disagree with your “big ego, but that goes with the territory” comment. Why? Plenty of actors/singers/other entertainers don’t come across as having big egos, so it certainly does NOT just “come with the territory.” Some people are simply jerks; others are not. I think that explains it far better.

Comment by Alex – March 23, 2013 09:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • yes and you know him personally do you to call him a jerk? All the other contestants (who actually dealt with Curtis on a day to day basis for weeks) seemed genuinely upset when he was eliminated, even more so than with Paul’s who seems to be (and I am sure IS) a nice person.

Comment by Rami – March 25, 2013 04:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Absolutely. I don’t know that he has a big ego but he definitely has a lot of confidence.
      Look at the horrible edit Lauren Alaina got on the program – and when Mr. Slezak interviewed her she was so delightful, funny, and engaging. I kept thinking, “Where was THIS girl on the program?”. Ever since then I’ve tried not to jump to conclusions about the contestants’ personalities.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – March 25, 2013 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • A big yes to everything you said.

Comment by sara – March 25, 2013 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It seems like his only connection to religion is in the quasi-pop music that it uses as a smokescreen.

Comment by Guest – March 23, 2013 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • that makes no sense whatsoever.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – March 25, 2013 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’s still annoying, better, but annoying. Best elimination ever, as said above. I hope the men get cut one right after the other, they can all go, except for maybe Burnell. If Lazaro comes out in one more hideous outfit he will lose whatever scrap of support I have for him.

Comment by dan – March 23, 2013 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • bs’d
    Sorry, Curtis. I wish you all the best, but you are no more likeable today. You have a future but get your big head in check, my diva, or you will just become fodder for the tabloids.

Comment by mamamitzvah – March 23, 2013 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • bs’d
      Oh, and Honey, you ain’t Fantasia by a long run~~~~

Comment by mamamitzvah – March 23, 2013 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • American idol is a singing competition you vote best singer Curtis could sing anyway you put it and putting people through who can’t sing is doing that person a great injustice. Lets get back to voting by singing ability and not your personal views of a person character nobody’s perfect not even all of you.

Comment by charchar – March 23, 2013 10:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well. It’s telling that this was under 8 minutes when Mike’s interviews are often more like 10. And while I think it’s unfortunate Curtis apparently only has the one outfit (though it looks good!) I am genuinely happy for him that he has such strong faith and such high self-esteem.
    That being said, I CAN’T stand him.

Comment by Kate – March 23, 2013 10:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually like him

Comment by lenna – March 24, 2013 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • same, i actually don’t see anything to dislike about him. i think we are a minority…

Comment by david – March 25, 2013 06:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Put me in the minority as well. I enjoyed listening to him.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – March 25, 2013 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a tool. I assume Curtis didn’t see past Idologys or he would never haave come on. And if he did…how awkward for Michael

Comment by Petey – March 25, 2013 04:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does anybody else’s cut off right before the 5 minute mark? Mine just cuts to “video is currently unavailable” at this point…. Oh well, enjoyed the first five minutes.

Comment by Blinged Up – March 25, 2013 08:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, mine was fine. You might try it again later. Might be a server problem.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – March 25, 2013 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That interview wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. I did feel he had enough time to do something different. The good stuff though is I could understand where he was coming from a bit. He’s a confident person and a little less smug here.

Comment by Jessica – March 25, 2013 08:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly. I read your comment after I posted mine.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – March 25, 2013 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mr. Slezak, you have a way with Idol interviews! You ask questions the contestants aren’t expecting and seem to bring out their true nature. I didn’t get arrogance from Curtis at all. i think he’s very confident and comfortable with who he is and what type of music he likes performing.

“People have to remember American Idol is a reality show” (paraphrased). Well said, Curtis.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – March 25, 2013 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like that he’s confident. I’d take that any day over some 15-year-old saying “I have talent?”.

Comment by Trouty Mouth – March 30, 2013 08:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post