Ratings: Vampire Diaries, Beast and Grey's Rise, NCAA Coverage Reports a 22-Year High

InsatiableThe CW’s The Vampire Diaries, with 2.65 million total viewers and a 1.3 demo rating (per finals), rose 6 percent and two tenths this Thursday, besting NBC’s 8 o’clock hour sitcoms (1.1, 0.9) in the demo.

Leading out of that, Beauty and the Beast (1.8 mil/0.7) saw gains of 24 percent and two tenths (or 40 percent), drawing its largest total audience since Jan. 24. UPDATE: Per finals, B&TB was adjusted down to 1.72 mil/0.6 — but still up week-to-week.

RELATED | TVLine’s 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled?

Speaking of NBC’s aforementioned comedies, Community (3 mil/1.1) rose 17 percent in audience while matching last week’s series-low demo. At 8:30, 1600 Penn did 2.5 mil/0.9, dropping 16 and 44 percent from Parks and Rec. The second 1600 (2.3 mil/0.8) fell two tenths week-to-week.

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Recap: It’s a Mc[Spoiler]!

Over on ABC, Wife Swap returned to 5 mil and a 1.7, up some 40 percent versus its previous premiere and marking the Alphabet net’s best demo number in that time slot in five months. Grey’s Anatomy followed with 9.1 mil/3.0 (up 11 percent), and Scandal (8.6 mil/2.7) added viewers to draw an all-time high audience while flat in the demo.

RELATED | Scandal Recap: Smile! You’re on Candid Camera

Fox’s American Idol (11.7 mil/2.9) added some eyeballs but dipped in the demo. Glee (5.9 mil/2.0) was up 9 percent in audience while flat in the demo.

RELATED | Glee Recap: The Guilty Pleasure Principle

NCAA Tournament coverage across CBS, TBS, TNT and truTV averaged an overnight household rating/share of 5.8/14, up 4 percent year-to-year to score the highest numbers for the first Thursday of March Madness in 22 years. In fact, only the second primetime window (from 9:30 pm to 12:45 am) was down versus 2012, featuring as it did lopsided victories for VCU and Da ‘Cuse.

Want scoop on any of the above shows (not including NCAA games)? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Elyse says:

Go Bucks!!! :) love that Vampire Diaires and Greys were up!!

2. Tina says:

hell yeah!!! go BATB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Didar says:

Yay for BATB!! Last night ep was epic.. Beyond any words! Love it so much!

4. Georgia Madman says:

Maybe the word is getting out on BATB. I hope the network renews it soon.

5. Dulci says:

So happy for BATB–it is getting intense!!

6. kali says:

Wonderful news for Beauty and the Beast! Hopefully it will get picked up for a well-deserved second season. The episodes keep getting better even when you think that they couldn’t possibly, they do. Such brilliant writing and stellar performances by the cast. Not to mention the sizzling chemistry between its two protagonists. Grand choice of picture for the article by the way :)

7. Jason says:

#HAVOC lives at VCU!

8. Jared says:

Beauty & the Beast is really hitting its creative peak. Last nights episode was intense and viewers seem to be sticking around. The CW would be stupid to let this series go.

9. Michelle says:

BATB was so good last night! Great to see the ratings went up!

10. Daydreamer72 says:

Awesome news for BatB!! Last night’s episode was too intense for words! Just when you thought it couldn’t get any better….it does! The writers are out of this world and the cast is nothing short of amazing!! We MUST get a second season!!

11. Rivera says:

Grey’s is strong after 9 seasons!! *knock on wood* … the episode was one of the best!

12. Katie says:

Such a tense BATB episode last night! The last few minutes leave you thinking “omg”. Can’t wait until next weeks episode! The triangle is about to become a square, Hopefully! Loving Sendhill’s Character..This show needed some spice and not from another female!

13. wrstlgirl says:

BATB is great! That ending last night, whoa!!! :-)

14. Rrrrrr says:

I’m pretty sure all these BatB comments are from the same person…

15. Ash says:

Hurray for BATB!!! I’m glad people are picking up on the show!! The 1st few episodes were meh!! But kudos to the writers and producers of the show for upping their game!! Been an avid viewer of the show since its 1st episode and hopefully they get a 2nd season!! Love the chemistry of the cast as well!!

16. Boiler says:

Wife Swap’s ratings show why ABC doesn’t stick with new shows. Come on people quit watching this CRAP!!

• Dizzle says:

It’s probably more the new shows’ own ratings that gives ABC a reason to cancel them. Last Resort circled a 1.0 during the last half of it’s run, Red Widow looks to be doing the same, and Zero Hour already did. If Wife Swap’s ratings were lower they still wouldn’t continue with those shows, because their ratings don’t warrant it. I don’t mind people watching Wife Swap, it’s a pretty fun show sometimes, I just wish they ALSO watched some of the more ambitious new shows.

On the flip side, Nashville’s 1.6-1.8 average has kept it on the air all season long, and things are looking good for a second season.

17. elle says:

#BATBNation ON FIRE! I was so nerves after the show the wait for ratings is hell especially when a show like #BATB that deserves more viewers than it gets.

Next Thursday we fight another day for more viewers. #Beasties Rock!

18. Jason says:

I began watching Beauty & the Beast from the premiere, and I can fully attest that it has gotten progressively better. I really enjoyed the twist with Beast’s ex-fiancee (love Bridget Regan–so hot and such a good actress); and now that the hunt is intensifying, it’s pretty much off the charts. I do feel B&tB was or is on the bubble for renewal, but it did win the People’s Choice for Best New Drama and it seems to have a loyal and growing online fandom…so I’m hopeful–much more so than with Carrie, Dixie & Cult, for instance.

Decisions are being made right now, though, about the fall lineup, so if fans are truly interested in Beauty returning, they need to recruit viewers for every new episode over the next 6 weeks.

19. BATB just keeps getting better and better and better!!! Highly suspenseful, surprising twists and turns, pulsating, exciting, passionate, LOVE STORY PLUS DRAMA PLUS MYSTERY. The BEST, HOTTEST, SWEETEST, DOWN-TO-EARTH ACTORS!!! BEST WRITING TEAM, MAKEUP ARTISTS, PROPS, SETS, OUTFITS AND DIRECTOR :D

20. BATB is finally heating up.. literally. Dont these executives know we need romance and fairytale in our stories… Yes, hot hot hot episode. Anyday!

21. lynn says:

Hope this means we get a second season for BATB. I’ve been addicted since episode one <3 Hope we get some good news soon !!!

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Any further CW renewals very likely won’t come until early May, at soonest.

• Claudia says:

Thanks for your constant updates on the show, we know we will be biting our nails until we get confirmation, hey Matt why dont you interview the leads again, we havent had a new interview since last year, you have a lot of beasties folllowing this website :)

• Judi says:

I agree – I check this page every day for BATB info. Thanks Matt!!. May is a long time to wait. Keeping fingers crossed. So happy to see the ratings are up.

22. sarah says:

hahaha, my dyslexia is funny… Beast Surges.. I thought it said Breast surgeries.. and I was like “there can’t possible be a show called that” xD

23. shuayb says:

I’m glad Scandal is rising in viewership now the demo just needs to break into the 3.0 range. So does Greys! They better promote the hell out of Sarah Chalke’s episode. It looks intense. I think I’ll ge back in to Beauty and the Beast. Saw the premiere. Was kinda weak so I didn’t wanna get attached but these positive comments have changed my view. Hope ya’ll are right!

• Claudia says:

I am a fan since episode 1, I liked the whole concept of it, but Ive heard some die hard fans get attached to the series after episode 4, it is a cw show very lighted but with lots of soul, actors & crew are really committed they dont have the big budgets that many shows from other network have but they try hard to keep us entertain and they have succeed writers & cast are committed to make this show work as all of us fans are. Try it without comparing it to anything you have seen, I havent been committed to a US show for a long time and I loved it… :)

24. Judi says:

Yes – Yes Yes. Beauty and the Beast finallygetting more viewers. Tough time slot for them. I have watched Grey’s Anatomy from the beginning and like Person of Interest, but I only watch BATB now and if I think about it Grey’s on demand. Love this show and last night was great. Want to see why the ADA told Kat “we are closer than you think” Want to know why he is setting Vincent up. Want to see if Tess and Evan turn Kat in or keep her secret. So much to look forward to….Come on CW – RENEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. Fabe says:

I just want to say, Joel McHale once made a backhanded comment about how one show can never make fun of a poorer performing show. He said, “We’d never make fun of The Vampire Diaries!” And now TVD is doing better than Community and my heart is just smiling.

26. VenturaCo-Grown says:

I am so happy Beauty and the Beast rating went up!! If keeps getting better and better and deserves another season!

27. Diane says:

So happy for BATB, and my Scandal. Loved Scandal fom the beginning & really glad that I stuck with BATB – the first few episodes were weak but love, love, LOVE the actors :)

28. ollie says:

yay for tvd its getting better now. yeah cuse

29. mia says:

BATB was trending on twitter last night too!!! Yay!!!!!!!
    Though I NEED Cat + Tess to be friends again.

30. eni says:

Go VinCaT!!!!
    SeaSOn 2 is cOmInG (^!^) (^~^) :D))

31. amylee says:

Woo!! So Happy BATB ratings went up!! This show deserves a second season! Honestly, I am still surprised how well it’s done, SO much better than the original promo for the show!! Love it!!

32. Danielle says:

So happy for BATB!!! It’s such an awesome show!! Love it!!!!!!! If you haven’t watched, try it! It’s SO good!!!

33. Andrea Fernández says:

#BATB Oh, yeah! It rocks!

34. Judi says:

OK – How can BATB be adjusted up and then back down? I don’t get it. Numbers are still up, but need to be better. Gaining, but there is another repeat in two weeks. Help!!!!