ABC Reveals Summer Premiere Dates for Rookie Blue, Wipeout, New Drama Motive and More

Get More: News, Premieres

Rookie Blue season 3 finaleABC is getting a jump on summer with the announcement of return dates for Rookie Blue, Wipeout and Celebrity Wife Swap. Plus, the new Alyssa Milano soap Mistresses has been delayed by a week.

The cops of Rookie Blue will be back for Season 4 on Thursday, May 23 at 10/9c.

RELATED | ABC Sets Finale Dates for Once, Scandal, Grey’s, Castle, Supersized Revenge and 12 Others

Per ABC’s official description, the action will pick up six months after Andy and Nick left for their undercover job, and a lot has changed while they’ve been gone.

“When Andy returns to find that Sam Swarek is now a Detective and that he’s moved on, both professionally and personally, she’s going to have to figure out how to deal with it,” reads the release. “Meanwhile, Dov’s life gets awkward when a one-night stand with Frank’s goddaughter becomes more complicated; Chris is torn between staying at 15 Division and moving his new family back to his smaller, safer hometown; Traci is learning to work with new detective Swarek, while trying to move on from the loss of her fiancé, Jerry Barber; and although Nick and Gail have cemented their relationship, Nick can’t seem to shed the feeling that all is not right between them.”

New drama Mistresses, starring Alyssa Milano, Yunjin Kim, Rochelle Aytes and Jes Macallan, will premiere a week later than originally announced on Monday, June 3 at 10 pm. It will follow The Bachelorette, which, as previously revealed, will feature Desiree Hartsock’s search for love starting Monday, May 20 at 9 pm (after Dancing With the Stars’ performance finale), before the show moves to its regular timeslot at 8 pm on May 27.

Also on tap for the Alphabet network this summer are the returns of Wipeout (on Thursday, May 9 at 8 pm), Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition (Tuesday, May 28 at 8 pm), What Would You Do? (Wednesday, May 29 at 10 pm) and Celebrity Wife Swap (Sunday, June 23 at 8 pm).

Additionally, ABC will use Dancing With the Stars‘ results show on Tuesday, May 21 to launch Motive, a crime procedural that reveals the killer and victim at the start of each episode. It will then move to Thursdays at 9 pm on May 23, leading into Rookie Blue.

Whodunnit?, a new mystery reality competition show from Anthony E. Zuiker (CSI), will launch Sunday, June 23 at 9 pm.

Comments (36)

• Looking forward to Rookie Blue coming back. It’s one of my favorite summer shows.

Comment by Mark – March 21, 2013 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Can’t wait, wish it was a full season show!

Comment by Hope – April 14, 2013 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait for Rookie Blue. I watch the reruns inbetween season. Love the show. :)

Comment by Kim R – March 21, 2013 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh ABC junk and another one named show – Motive. Just keep throwing things until they stick m.

Comment by forwarddad – March 21, 2013 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok, if they go with Sam dating another cop I’m going to drop the show.
    I’m not saying he should have waited for her, but if I wanted a show with the whole swapping partenrs thing, I’ll watch the teen dramas out there.
    At least yay for Nick and Gail.
    They didn’t go down the whole Nick/Andy Sam/Gail.
    And let’s hope they don’t give us a Luke/Andy 2.0.

Comment by Mari – March 21, 2013 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You sure are passionate about and know a lot about a show that you would drop if it puts one character with another cop…

Comment by Sg. Grant – March 21, 2013 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s more like… I have seen lots of shows where they did everything to keep tension between the main couple, and I get it.
        And when it’s a teen drama it’s okay, because that’s what they do in real life – though there are limits, and a show like Gossip Girl took it too far.
        And that’s one of the reason Grey’s lost its appeal after the first couple of seasons imo.
        Concerning RB, they are supposedly adults, and while I get that cops date other cops, it’s not like it’s exclusive.
        I think that you could have good tension even with a couple being together, or even with them not being together but working towards the relationship.
        We had 2 seasons of angst between Sam/Andy, and the ‘will they/won’t they’ was done beautifully, because, while they were not together, they got to know each other in a deep way.
        Season 3 was kind of a bummer, the relationship wasn’t working, and I get that.
        But, at the same time, Sam said I love you, and in my understanding of the character, it’s not something to be taken lightly.
        And I get that he already waited for Andy for a long time, and he probably felt betrayed or something, but him being in another relationship? With another fellow cop?
        I don’t know, to me it seems forced, like we need to have that tension, because most certainly that person will be the new addition to 15th and Andy’s new partner.
        Too obvious and angsty for my taste, sorry.

Comment by Mari – March 22, 2013 01:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree with you and understand your point perfectly :) But I do not think that he will be having a relationship, maybe a kind of flirt to make her jalouse or with moving just means that he wouldn’t want to get back with her for a while..I do think that they will get back together down the line…

Comment by dounia – March 22, 2013 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I think your idea of Sam’s moving on is awesome.
            And it would be great if it were revealed to be like that.
            But I don’t know…
            I think we’ll get loads of angst for a while.
            But a small part of me still hopes not, and you know, maybe ABC is just trolling with us (wishful thinking, I know).

Comment by Mari – March 23, 2013 03:04 AM PDT
          • I hope so too, you’re right the media can say things to make us think a lot lol
            I have hope because I know that it will be incredibly stupid if the writers make a huge change between that famous couple known as ‘Sandy’ ‘Mcswarek’ on twitter, fb… And on the other side I know that he won’t give up on her ‘coz he wanted her from the start and said for the first time in his life to someone ‘I Love you’ that ain’t nothing or something to move on to in real life right :) so we keep the faith

Comment by dounia – March 23, 2013 05:23 AM PDT
    • But thats what keeps the show interesting , I hope Andy meets someone and it drives Sam crazy for a while we all know in the end they will end up together anyway may as well have some fun with it

Comment by Dar – May 26, 2013 02:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sam as a detective, I like that, Sam and Andy will get together by the end of the season, and am I the only one that liked Gail/Chris more than Nick/Gail. Looking forward to more Rookie Blue though.

Comment by Sam – March 21, 2013 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excited for my guilty pleasure, Wipeout, to come back…

Comment by Babybop – March 21, 2013 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pretty smart and cheap for ABC… Motive and Rookie Blue are both Canadian imports.

Comment by getmilk – March 21, 2013 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s the point for summer shows.

Comment by Mike – March 21, 2013 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Woot for Canadian imports. I’m surprised ABC didn’t buy the next season of Saving Hope. It got renewed up here, so they might as well buy it and air it. Its cheap and they need to fill their time.

Comment by mia – March 21, 2013 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where’s 666 Park Avenue and Zero Hour?

Comment by TT – March 21, 2013 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • cancelled.

Comment by T – March 21, 2013 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • But he means ABC still said they plan to air the remaining episodes over the summer.

Comment by Evan – March 22, 2013 02:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t get it. How could Nick and Gail have cemented their relationship when he was undercover with Andy? Or am I misremembering the end of last season?

Comment by hannah – March 21, 2013 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • A very good question, but I’m all for Nick and Gail ‘cementing’ their relationship. Yay :)

Comment by Bella – March 22, 2013 12:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I recommend checking out Motive – its first season has aired here in Canada and its a really interesting way to tell a traditional crime show. Plus the characters are awesome, especially the lead detective lady and the forensic pathologist. Sassy.

Comment by mia – March 21, 2013 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was real interesting when Law & Order did this first with Criminal Intent.

Now its just a carbon copy.

Comment by Evan – March 22, 2013 02:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, I’m really liking Motive. It took me a couple of episodes to get into the groove but it’s great. :)

Comment by Kim R – March 22, 2013 05:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not sure what this season will bring
    I was not envited back as a Bg detective. This year

Comment by D – March 21, 2013 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Actually a solid schedule. Thursdays should be a winning combination. Also, it pains me to say it, but Dancing with the Stars’s season finale would be wasted on Body of Proof. Smart move to put Motive there. What Would You Do? should’ve been paired with Whodunnit? though.

Comment by nick1372 – March 21, 2013 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do we know if ABC will have a show like Boston Med or NY Med like they have previous years?

Comment by Amanda – March 21, 2013 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looking forward to Rookie Blue, it’s a great summer show!

Comment by Kristi – March 21, 2013 09:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is part of the problem with ABC’s scheduling – a show like Castle, which is a procedural – at least a close as ABC can get (BOP, too) and yet they pre-empt for the summer? That’s just dumb. CBS has it nailed. Run your major hits in their regular timeslots as often as possible so: 1) your viewers always know where they are; 2) viewers who missed an episode catch up and 3) viewers of other shows may discover something new and stick around in fall.

Comment by Chicago Dan – March 21, 2013 09:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so glad Wife Swap has made a comeback.

Comment by AB – March 21, 2013 10:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Motive is a Canadian show that is already airing here in Canada. It is the same thing as Saving Hopeand I bet it will be cancelled after a couple weeks .

Comment by sarah – March 22, 2013 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh and I am counting down the days!
      I need Sam and Nick back on tv! :)

Comment by sarah – March 22, 2013 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HAPPY ROOKIE BLUES WILL BE BACK

Comment by brenda – April 18, 2013 09:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Phew! I’m glad to see that Rookie Blue is returning. I’m looking forward to the new season :)

Comment by Jennifer D.Edwards – April 26, 2013 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So looking forward to Rookie Blue returning , Love this show !!!

Comment by Becky – April 29, 2013 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tired of po po in everyones head.

Comment by andrew – May 3, 2013 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post