ABC Reveals Summer Premiere Dates for Rookie Blue, Wipeout, New Drama Motive and More

Rookie Blue season 3 finaleABC is getting a jump on summer with the announcement of return dates for Rookie Blue, Wipeout and Celebrity Wife Swap. Plus, the new Alyssa Milano soap Mistresses has been delayed by a week.

The cops of Rookie Blue will be back for Season 4 on Thursday, May 23 at 10/9c.

RELATED | ABC Sets Finale Dates for Once, Scandal, Grey’s, Castle, Supersized Revenge and 12 Others

Per ABC’s official description, the action will pick up six months after Andy and Nick left for their undercover job, and a lot has changed while they’ve been gone.

“When Andy returns to find that Sam Swarek is now a Detective and that he’s moved on, both professionally and personally, she’s going to have to figure out how to deal with it,” reads the release. “Meanwhile, Dov’s life gets awkward when a one-night stand with Frank’s goddaughter becomes more complicated; Chris is torn between staying at 15 Division and moving his new family back to his smaller, safer hometown; Traci is learning to work with new detective Swarek, while trying to move on from the loss of her fiancé, Jerry Barber; and although Nick and Gail have cemented their relationship, Nick can’t seem to shed the feeling that all is not right between them.”

New drama Mistresses, starring Alyssa Milano, Yunjin Kim, Rochelle Aytes and Jes Macallan, will premiere a week later than originally announced on Monday, June 3 at 10 pm. It will follow The Bachelorette, which, as previously revealed, will feature Desiree Hartsock’s search for love starting Monday, May 20 at 9 pm (after Dancing With the Stars’ performance finale), before the show moves to its regular timeslot at 8 pm on May 27.

Also on tap for the Alphabet network this summer are the returns of Wipeout (on Thursday, May 9 at 8 pm), Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition (Tuesday, May 28 at 8 pm), What Would You Do? (Wednesday, May 29 at 10 pm) and Celebrity Wife Swap (Sunday, June 23 at 8 pm).

Additionally, ABC will use Dancing With the Stars‘ results show on Tuesday, May 21 to launch Motive, a crime procedural that reveals the killer and victim at the start of each episode. It will then move to Thursdays at 9 pm on May 23, leading into Rookie Blue.

Whodunnit?, a new mystery reality competition show from Anthony E. Zuiker (CSI), will launch Sunday, June 23 at 9 pm.

1. Mark says:

Looking forward to Rookie Blue coming back. It’s one of my favorite summer shows.

2. Kim R says:

Can’t wait for Rookie Blue. I watch the reruns inbetween season. Love the show. :)

3. forwarddad says:

Ugh ABC junk and another one named show – Motive. Just keep throwing things until they stick m.

4. Mari says:

Ok, if they go with Sam dating another cop I’m going to drop the show.
    I’m not saying he should have waited for her, but if I wanted a show with the whole swapping partenrs thing, I’ll watch the teen dramas out there.
    At least yay for Nick and Gail.
    They didn’t go down the whole Nick/Andy Sam/Gail.
    And let’s hope they don’t give us a Luke/Andy 2.0.

• Sg. Grant says:

You sure are passionate about and know a lot about a show that you would drop if it puts one character with another cop…

• Mari says:

It’s more like… I have seen lots of shows where they did everything to keep tension between the main couple, and I get it.
        And when it’s a teen drama it’s okay, because that’s what they do in real life – though there are limits, and a show like Gossip Girl took it too far.
        And that’s one of the reason Grey’s lost its appeal after the first couple of seasons imo.
        Concerning RB, they are supposedly adults, and while I get that cops date other cops, it’s not like it’s exclusive.
        I think that you could have good tension even with a couple being together, or even with them not being together but working towards the relationship.
        We had 2 seasons of angst between Sam/Andy, and the ‘will they/won’t they’ was done beautifully, because, while they were not together, they got to know each other in a deep way.
        Season 3 was kind of a bummer, the relationship wasn’t working, and I get that.
        But, at the same time, Sam said I love you, and in my understanding of the character, it’s not something to be taken lightly.
        And I get that he already waited for Andy for a long time, and he probably felt betrayed or something, but him being in another relationship? With another fellow cop?
        I don’t know, to me it seems forced, like we need to have that tension, because most certainly that person will be the new addition to 15th and Andy’s new partner.
        Too obvious and angsty for my taste, sorry.

• dounia says:

I agree with you and understand your point perfectly :) But I do not think that he will be having a relationship, maybe a kind of flirt to make her jalouse or with moving just means that he wouldn’t want to get back with her for a while..I do think that they will get back together down the line…

• Mari says:

I think your idea of Sam’s moving on is awesome.
            And it would be great if it were revealed to be like that.
            But I don’t know…
            I think we’ll get loads of angst for a while.
            But a small part of me still hopes not, and you know, maybe ABC is just trolling with us (wishful thinking, I know).

• dounia says:

I hope so too, you’re right the media can say things to make us think a lot lol
            I have hope because I know that it will be incredibly stupid if the writers make a huge change between that famous couple known as ‘Sandy’ ‘Mcswarek’ on twitter, fb… And on the other side I know that he won’t give up on her ‘coz he wanted her from the start and said for the first time in his life to someone ‘I Love you’ that ain’t nothing or something to move on to in real life right :) so we keep the faith

• Dar says:

But thats what keeps the show interesting , I hope Andy meets someone and it drives Sam crazy for a while we all know in the end they will end up together anyway may as well have some fun with it

5. Sam says:

Sam as a detective, I like that, Sam and Andy will get together by the end of the season, and am I the only one that liked Gail/Chris more than Nick/Gail. Looking forward to more Rookie Blue though.

6. Babybop says:

Excited for my guilty pleasure, Wipeout, to come back…

7. getmilk says:

Pretty smart and cheap for ABC… Motive and Rookie Blue are both Canadian imports.

• Mike says:

That’s the point for summer shows.

• mia says:

Woot for Canadian imports. I’m surprised ABC didn’t buy the next season of Saving Hope. It got renewed up here, so they might as well buy it and air it. Its cheap and they need to fill their time.

8. TT says:

Where’s 666 Park Avenue and Zero Hour?

9. hannah says:

I don’t get it. How could Nick and Gail have cemented their relationship when he was undercover with Andy? Or am I misremembering the end of last season?

10. mia says:

I recommend checking out Motive – its first season has aired here in Canada and its a really interesting way to tell a traditional crime show. Plus the characters are awesome, especially the lead detective lady and the forensic pathologist. Sassy.

11. D says:

Not sure what this season will bring
    I was not envited back as a Bg detective. This year

12. nick1372 says:

Actually a solid schedule. Thursdays should be a winning combination. Also, it pains me to say it, but Dancing with the Stars’s season finale would be wasted on Body of Proof. Smart move to put Motive there. What Would You Do? should’ve been paired with Whodunnit? though.

13. Amanda says:

Do we know if ABC will have a show like Boston Med or NY Med like they have previous years?

14. Kristi says:

Looking forward to Rookie Blue, it’s a great summer show!

15. Chicago Dan says:

This is part of the problem with ABC’s scheduling – a show like Castle, which is a procedural – at least a close as ABC can get (BOP, too) and yet they pre-empt for the summer? That’s just dumb. CBS has it nailed. Run your major hits in their regular timeslots as often as possible so: 1) your viewers always know where they are; 2) viewers who missed an episode catch up and 3) viewers of other shows may discover something new and stick around in fall.

16. AB says:

I’m so glad Wife Swap has made a comeback.

17. sarah says:

Motive is a Canadian show that is already airing here in Canada. It is the same thing as Saving Hopeand I bet it will be cancelled after a couple weeks .

18. brenda says:

HAPPY ROOKIE BLUES WILL BE BACK

19. Jennifer D.Edwards says:

Phew! I’m glad to see that Rookie Blue is returning. I’m looking forward to the new season :)

20. Becky says:

So looking forward to Rookie Blue returning , Love this show !!!

21. andrew says:

Tired of po po in everyones head.