Sarah Drew on Grey's Anatomy's Big Transition, April's Forged V-Card and Hearting Jackson

Grey's Anatomy Season 9 SpoilersAs the Madonna tune goes, Grey’s Anatomy‘s Dr. April Kepner is “Like a Virgin,” presenting herself to EMT beau Matthew as a smidgen more untouched than she really is. Will she be able to maintain the ruse? Or will a crisis at the newly christened Grey+Sloan Memorial Hospital thrust her back into close proximity with ex-lover Jackson? Sarah Drew previewed for TVLine what’s to come – and shared her wish not to die in this season’s finale.

VIDEO | Grey’s Anatomy Sneak Peeks: Meredith Frets, Arizona Wants Sex

TVLINE | I’m wondering, do you almost feel guilty with all this hospital transition drama going on, and April is just there cavorting with her hunky EMT (played by Justin Bruening)?
Totally. [Laughs] But she’s also trying to save lives. Let’s be clear. She is saving lots of lives… and also cavorting around with cute, very beautiful men.

TVLINE | From where she sits, is this transition for the hospital going to be getting any smoother anytime soon?
You know, I think she’s just so relieved to have the ER back, that she’s not really been thinking about the other stuff. Her whole thing is trauma, so as long as she has a place to do her thing, she feels good.

TVLINE | Will Grey+Sloan Memorial be a well-oiled machine by the end of the season?
Oh, I’m sure it won’t be. It’s Grey’s Anatomy, it’s drama. No, I think there’s going to be continued stress and anxiety. These surgeons all have their own pet projects that they want and they’re trying to get the money from the board to make their things happen…. It’s going to be a constant challenge for them to take care of the administrative stuff, being on the board and making tough calls.

TVLINE | What did you, personally, think of the hospital’s new name?
Oh, it’s awesome. I love it. It’s such a great way to not only honor the characters, but honor our friends who left our show.

RELATED | May Sweeps Scorecard: Deaths, Weddings, Births, Sex, Resurrections, Firings and More!

TVLINE | As new responsibilities weigh on Jackson (Jesse Williams), will April be there for him?GreysAnatomy_AprilJackson
She is sort of in her own drama, about what to do with her life and her men, so I feel like she has not thus far been incredibly supportive of him in his time of need. Hopefully that will change and she’ll show up for him in the next few episodes. But she seems pretty preoccupied with her own drama right now.

TVLINE | Well, speaking of that: How does Matthew measure up to Jackson in her mind?
I think that she in her head decided Jackson is not the right guy for her, but her heart is still very connected to him. And in her head, Matthew is exactly the right guy for her — he sees the world the same way she does, he has the same values, he really delights in her and loves things about her, where Jackson in the past has made fun of her, you know what I mean? But Jackson also loves her, cares for her and knows her better than anybody else on the planet knows her. I think if she’s going to wind up with Jackson – and I still don’t know who she’s going to wind up with — her head has got to learn how to communicate with her heart. It’s all very complicated! [Laughs]

RELATED | Grey’s Exclusive: Sarah Chalke on Bringing Her Real Crisis to TV: ‘There Were Tears’

TVLINE | It looks like next week, Matthew is going to end up on the other end of the proverbial stethoscope.
Yes, he will. He pulls a Superman and jumps in front of a child to protect the child’s body from an explosion, and he gets cut up pretty badly as a result — which is yet another reason why he’s such a perfect and amazing guy.

TVLINE | Does this scare prompt either of them to sit down and evaluate what’s really going on here?
Yes. The scare happens for him while she’s dealing with a pretty huge crisis of faith with one of her other patients, and Jackson winds up being there for her in a way that she needs. Then she goes to Matthew to try to talk to him about it and he misinterprets what she’s saying — and that leaves her even more confused than before.

TVLINE | Even further down the line, she’s going to contemplate telling Matthew about her actual virginity situation. What do you think his reaction might be?
Disappointment. When he told her he was a virgin, he wasn’t expecting her to also be a virgin, so there was the delight and the joy of [hearing that]. I’m afraid it’s going to be really sad — but the bigger disappointment is going to be that she lied. If she’d told him right off the bat, he would have been so understanding.

RELATED | ABC Sets Finale Dates for Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal, Castle and Supersized Revenge

TVLINE | Are you hearing any whispers about what Shonda Rhimes has got cooking for the finale?
I have no idea. They won’t tell us anything.

TVLINE | Shonda indicated to us that it’s going to be on the quiet side — no gunman, no explosions, no catastrophes….
Yes. I’m sure — that’s usually how it happens. Usually every other year is a big, crazy event and then the off years are big, emotional turmoil events, but no death. I hope!

Want more scoop on Grey’s, or for any other show? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. This whole Matthew as a patient just reminds me of Private Practice (season 5) when Violet’s boyfriend (Scott – played by Stephen Amell) was put in the hospital under (Violet’s then separated husband) Pete’s care. Once again, another recycled storyline.
    Besides, I’m so over Jackson and April it’s not even funny. Was once a spark is now gone seeing as they’ve got constant drama and their relationship was completely tarnished once they slept together. It was good to see more friendships between male and females on the show WITHOUT them eventually sleeping together. For example: George and Izzie back in season three. Shonda MAY be a good writer at times, but constantly putting people together who were bestfriends for so long as couples doesn’t work and it’s way overused on this show. Furthermore, I can no longer tolerate Jackson as an individual, let alone April’s character IN a relationship as she’s too selfish at times. Them both apart is much more tolerable, most likely because I prefer Jackson with (intern) Stephanie.

2. B says:

Is “Sloan+Grey Memorial” the official stylization?

3. Leila says:

Oh how that lie about her being a virgin is going to come back and bite her in the biscuits!

4. Leila says:

Oh yeah, Matt, I so love the Forged V-Card line in the heading! So cute!

5. Annie says:

How anyone can prefer Jackson with the intern boggles my mind. Looks to be a rocky finale where Jackson and April are concerned but hopefully a reunion somewhere down the line. Chemistry in spades!

• Marty says:

I so agree with you – honestly no way to tell if Shonda et al will put April and Jackson back together, but I totally do not get Jackson and the intern. I do not feel the chemistry at all

6. D. says:

Love April, love Sarah, love April+Jackson. Let them be!

• kavyn says:

I love them too! George and Izzy were my favourites in the earlier seasons so I was incredibly disappointed to see them leave, but April and Jackson filled that void very nicely!

7. William says:

I do not want Jackson and April to reunite. Their relationship was handled so poorly last year. It simply solidified the fact that Jackson has poor taste in women. He needs someone in his life who is on his emotional level (who happens to be drama-free) and I feel like Stephanie can very well be that person if the writers gave her a chance.

• Thankfully the actress has a series regular option in place for next season. I’m truly rooting for this pair. She’s similar to Cristina and with Jackson having an obvious crush on Cristina back in season 6, it works well!

8. N says:

I love Jackson……er, not April!

9. Sam says:

April has grown a lot this season and Sarah is amazing. AppleJacks go!! And Matt.. Stephanie.. sorry ;)

10. katie says:

Thanks so much for the scoop! Love April and love her with Jackson! So much chemistry there. I just hope they get together at least by the finale. They’ve been apart too long :(

11. 081906 says:

Does anyone else wonder what happened the Deny Duquette clinic?? They haven’t mentioned it at all.

• I haven’t/can’t remember seen/seeing it since the end of season 5. Perhaps it got closed down after the merger began in early season 6? I remember Izzie mentioning it back in episode 9 of season 6 when arguing with the Webber (who was then Chief). Aside from that, that’s the best I got in regards to TDDMC.

12. Ashly says:

SD seems to like Jackson and April. I think she’s doing a great job in her role. I love her scenes, but I would love them more if Jackson was in them too:)

13. Temmera says:

I love Jackson and April together. So much chemistry.

14. Carol says:

April and Jackson need to get back together. They’re beautiful together.

15. Stacy says:

Jackson and April are the only reason I watch this show, so I really do hope they get back together.

• Shaun says:

Why did you watch for the first 5 or 6 seasons then?

• Stacy says:

I didn’t watch those seasons. I sort of accidently discovered this show (yes I know I sound like I was living under a rock) and the scene I saw had to do with them. Then I went to netflix and caught up.

16. Keenya says:

I want Jackson and April back together so bad!!!

17. Ashley says:

If April and Jackson do get back together than all my favorite Tv couples will be together at the same time. Please put them back together!

18. Shaun says:

I love April and Jackson together because of the whole friends to lover’s aspect. I love romances like that.

19. Lauren says:

I just think Jackson and April are perfect together minus the drama.

20. Karen says:

Jackson and April have amazing, hot, steamy chemistry. Please put them back together.

21. Rudy says:

I don’t like Matt he’s too goofy. I like Stephanie just not with Jackson no chemistry. I love April and Jackson together. They equal each other out, they’re always there for each other, and they know each other better than anyone else.

22. Paul says:

I just want Jackson and April Ba k together. I don’t care if they do at the end of this season or at the beginning of next season just as long as it happens.

23. Pauline says:

Jackson and April just make perfect sense to me.

24. Love says:

I love Jackson and April together. If they do get back together I hope they get more romantic scenes.

25. Meant To Be says:

Jackson and April are meant to be.

26. Chloe says:

I want Japril a.k.a AppleJacks back. April and Jackson together makes me happy.

27. Lea says:

Yawn. April is annoying. I like Jackson though hope he won’t go back to this crazy.

28. ten says:

I love the whole friends turn into lovers with April and Jackson. But I hope they both mature individually first then get back together. If they do get back together, I hope April will be more confident and Jackson can hang and accept “Jesus” with April. That is a storyline I like to see unfold.

29. Drew says:

I can’t believe that I’m actually going to discuss Grey’s Anatomy, but here we go anyway…

Jackson had no respect and no sympathy for April’s beliefs or what she was going through with those beliefs in terms of their relationship. He acted as though she was insulting him personally, when he damn well knew what she believed and how important those beliefs were to her before they got involved. They would be a horrible couple, because she holds those beliefs so dear and he can’t even seem to understand where she’s coming from.
    I think the whole abstinence story was played poorly. From the start, most of the characters were making fun of April and acting like it was a joke to get her laid or something. I can understand that she made a mistake when she did have sex with Jackson, but everything about their relationship after that point seems to make it clear that they do not belong together. How she behaved. How he behaved.
    And then there’s the Matthew character. Of course, it’s television, so April will have to run away from the guy who might actually share her values and treat her well, and go back to the guy who belittles her values. But why do they have to play Matthew as somewhat naive? The way he acts… I don’t know if it’s the writing or an acting choice or what, but it seems like he’s played as mentally younger than he actually is. Being abstinent isn’t a mental disorder. It’s something that takes a great deal of self awareness and self control. Am I the only one who gets the “naive” vibe from him?

• Kate'shomesick says:

Is he actually abstinent? I thought he just didn’t have any sex until this point…

• Jeanna says:

It totally understand what you mean about Matthew and the whole abstinent thing. I think Hollywood very much frowns on ‘people saving themselves for marriage’ because its not the ‘in’ thing to do. It’s ‘unfashionable’ and ‘unheard of.’ Movies and media centers all their stories on sex – and glamours it. Though, they never get deep into the consequences of it. “Good moral values” is looked down upon and they always portray ‘virgins’ as naive to this ‘very much worldly/materialistic society.”

30. ggny says:

Still dont get why people hate on April. From where she was when she first joined the show up to now has been incredible character growth. She is a great character now

31. GottaHaveEmAll says:

Umm, am I the only person that remembers that April failed her boards? Is Shonda going to address this? Or are we expected to believe that April re-took and passed her boards off-camera? Surprised that this did not come up during the interview…

• Jamie says:

Agreed to the boards storyline! I can’t believe that it hasn’t even been addressed since the very beginning of the season when Mama Avery basically tried to hook April up with the OB/GYN fellow who was supposedly a good tutor. Well, April did briefly mention failing the boards to Shane when he went to ask her for a recommendation. Anyway, I think it should be a significant plot line. As a character, April has had a long history of poor self-esteem, and kicking butt at the boards and kicking trauma butt in the ER would do wonders toward advancing her character. There are still 6 episodes of the season left (if I’m doing my math correctly), so there’s still time to address the boards, but I don’t have faith in the Grey’s writing team to take advantage of the opportunity for great character development despite the fact that it’s sitting there on a silver platter. Here’s to hoping they surprise me.

• Alex says:

Why should they address the boards issue again? April does not have to be board-certified to work as an attending. Unless you’re saying that passing the boards would be a good story for her, maybe. While it isn’t necessary in order for her to have a job, it wouldn’t hurt! And it would expand her character a bit, IMO.

32. Fernanda says:

Justin Bruening looks like an Alex Karev’s younger brother

33. Elsa says:

Love love love Jackson and April together.

I do have one question : what happened with April and her boards ? Wasn’t she supposed to retake them ??

34. Jamie says:

Please bring back the Japril! I haven’t been a shipper of any couple on any tv show since Season 2 of One Tree Hill (basically a decade). But April and Jackson sucked me in even though I tried so hard to not care, because being a shipper hurts. I think the reason that I love the couple so much is the way that Jesse Williams and Sarah Drew play off of each other – CHEMISTRY galore. I feel like they take their acting to an entirely different level when they’re with each other. For example, the 9×11 scene where Jackson told April about sleeping with Stephanie and where April said, “I miss you.” The inflection in their voices, their body language, and the expressions in their eyes spoke a million times louder than the dialogue did.
    I literally cringe at Jackson/Stephanie scenes and Matt/April scenes because I just can’t see the chemistry with either pair, and it frustrates me to no end.
    It’s not like I think April and Jackson should just get married and have a million babies by the end of the season, but I think that it would be a shame if the writers didn’t take the opportunity to develop the characters so that they both emotionally mature so that they could get the place where they would be ready for a romantic relationship. The storyline could have been handled better, but it’s not too late to take steps to correct that, because it’s a waste of Jesse’s and Sarah’s talent/chemistry to let the relationship fall to the wayside.

35. RamonaX says:

First of all, about Jackson: I think he is so desperetly chasing ‘simple’ that he ends up in a even bigger mess. He was constantly running from the ‘Avery’ – responsability since s6 and look where it got him – he suddenly owns a hospital without any preparation whatsoever. Huge mess. The April thing: she is wierd and really comlicated so he run again; This thing with Stephanie, I guess she will eventually develop feelings (it’s already started to show) and he’ll run again. I think he has no idea what he wants and blames everyone else (his mom, April..) for making the mess.
    Life is complicated and messy, and him tring to fence himself out won’t work;
    And as for April, she is the complete opposite – she finds drama even when least possible. And how selfish can she get? Is she ever just going to go over herself already and just be there for him or anyone else? Reading this, appearently not. And I actually liked her character back when she was all quirky and wierd and funny and not ‘it’s all about me’.Though I really liked Apple Jacks, but the writting, it’s killing my compassion for both chracters. .

36. M.E. Cole says:

This has been one of the worst season in GA’s history! It is boring and predictable. The interns are regurgitating the roles all the original cast played in the beginning of the series. They even live in the same house!! As for April and Jackson and all the other on and off again relationships; Shondra has way over played that card!! Alex has never matured but is now a supposed activist for third world children in need?! And what is with the Sandra Bullock look alike that does nothing? Yawn! I am almost over this show…kind of wish I stopped watching at the end of last season, at least there were some good memories!

37. Jess says:

I just got into Grey’s… love April and Jackson and April have that spark/chemistry, want them back together.

38. stackson team says:

I really want that jackson ends up with stephanie, he needs a woman like her who gives him mental stability and calm, i love their chemistry and i hope in them!!