Report: Jimmy Fallon to Replace Jay Leno as Host of a New York-Based Tonight Show

jimmy fallon tonight showLive from New York, it’s…the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon?

Yes indeed, the current host of NBC’s Late Night has reportedly received an offer to take over from Jay Leno as host of Tonight by no later than fall 2014 — and to move the show back to the east coast in the process, according to the New York Times.

The paper notes that “NBC has quietly begun work on a new studio in its headquarters building at 30 Rockefeller Plaza as the home for the new Tonight show.”

Leno, for his part, has been taking jabs at NBC’s ratings woes and even called network execs “snakes” in recent monologues, a likely sign that he knew this succession plan — and its leak to the media — was brewing.

In the summer of 2009, the network endured a botched succession plan in which it gave Leno’s gig to then Late Night host Conan O’Brien — and launched The Jay Leno Show in the 10pm weeknight timeslot that September. By March of 2010, Leno was back in the Tonight Show chair, with O’Brien accepting a massive buyout offer and eventually landing his own show on TBS.

What do you think of NBC’s plan to give Fallon the coveted 11:30/10:30c time slot? How do you think the show will change — if at all — with the move to New York City? Hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. Kaitie says:

jimmy fallon is the best as long as he is on tv im happy

2. Johnny Carson says:

Jay Leno is still on TV? Who knew?
    Makes sense to go younger. Most people who watched Leno when he was on TV are dying off anyways. Conan, Fallon, Kimmel, Ferguson….that’s where the late night kings are now-a-days.

3. Faster says:

As a fan of both Leno and Fallon, this is a huge mistake. And I am not old as most of you all are suggesting! They are both very funny and do their jobs well. I would be sad to lose Jay, but even sadder at the prospect of Jimmy failing in the new slot, which would likely happen. Jimmy’s humor works well in his time slot, and he would almost certainly have to tone it down to work on the Tonight Show. Shame that this would boost Letterman’s ratings, he’s just an unfunny, creepy, old weirdo…

• KWolf says:

I completely agree with absolutely everything you said here. Jimmy and the Roots are fine where they are. I don’t want their humor to change; and it probably would with that time slot.

4. Vanessa says:

Ben Schwartz/ Joel McHale/Aziz Ansari/Adam Scott for Late Night!! Any or all of them ! :)

5. Truth says:

Jimmy Fallon is terrible, and I already never watch his show. 32, not 60 either. That guy is pure garbage. Sucks too cause I like his house band.

6. pakegler says:

Golly…does anyone other than me wonder what today’s 11:30 scene would look like if NBC had selected Letterman instead of Leno to replace Carson?

7. David P. Graf says:

I am amazed at how the Lenoites have come out in force to defend their idol. Somehow, they’ve already forgotten about how Leno stabbed Conan in the back in spite of the video clip which shows surgeons removing the knife from Conan’s body. :-)

8. Todd says:

The Tonight Show lost all relevance and importance when Carson left and the job was given to Leno over Letterman.

TTS is just another late night talk show.

9. KWolf says:

I really like Late Night with Jimmy Fallon and if he moves to the Tonight Show, I hope it’s still the same kind of vibe. Jimmy and the Roots are too funny and I don’t think they should mess with it.

10. cjeffery7 says:

if this deal was made behind Jay’s back – that’s a dick move.
    it would also be a dick move to not give jimmy’s tonight show a chance, like they did to conan.
    conclusion: NBC had become a yo-yo dieter. they’ve tried every fad diet under the sun, but they ultimately keep gaining the weight back because they don’t understand or can’t accept the basic concept of diet & exercise.

11. malcadany says:

I would actually start watching the tonight show if Jimmy was the host. I LOVE his current show and if he does move to the tonight show as host, I would hope they let him keep his current format; its really funny and feel good entertainment.

12. John says:

Im still gonna watch Jimmy even if he takes over for Leno.I think Jimmy Fallon is funny and i love his show and i like that he comes up to the fans after the show i got to shake his hand and say whats up to him.I just hope the Roots and Higgins go with him.

13. Sarah says:

Jimmy Fallon is MILES better than Leno. Leno being kicked off, permanently, has been long over due.

14. Janey says:

Umm, it will be AWESOME!! It’s about time. I used to like Letterman, but now he’s grumpy. Leno is okay, but I was super annoyed when they shoved Conan aside so Leno could have his spot back. Made me mad that Leno let it happen–ruined him for me. I wish Fallon would move to L.A. though! Now I want Conan to take Letterman’s spot.

15. Eric Degen says:

Jimmy has proved he can make a fabulously entertaining show and following at the 12:30 slot – I’m happy to follow him to 11:30 – In so many ways he is a spiritual successor to “the Carson” show. He manages a beautiful balance of Juvenal exuberance with the classic Variety formant the the “Master” Carson pulled off – Can’t wait to continue watching in any time slot!

16. Amanda from the UK says:

Don’t be fooled by Jimmy’s schoolboy schmuckky delivery….he’s a pro and knows his craft. What I like about him is his total commitment to the genre – he knows his history, he’s done his research and what is best of all he is a true enthusiast for all things TV/Film/Music based. You can’t make that up – it takes a lifetime of watching black and white film compared with being handed a sheet of factoids from a researcher an hour before the show. He’s currently limited on his interview technique but his entertainment skills outweigh that weakness and he’ll grow in confidence with age. I do fear that the earlier time slot will dilute the product but Jimmy is ambitious – he’ll take it and I wish him good luck. Make us proud Jimmy…

17. heather says:

They should just cancel the Tonight show and move Jimmy to earlier slot. HIs show is fantastic just as it is.

18. Kathy says:

If he changes the way he does his show, I won’t watch.

19. PK says:

Great!! Can’t wait!! Stay in New York City Jimmy!!!

20. scorej says:

Love, Jimmy Fallon hope his format moves tot he the tonight show! Can’t wait for him to be on 11:35pm. Stay in New York!

21. Cali girl says:

Why doesn’t NBC actually think outside of it’s box at 30 Rock? How about Seth McFarlane as the new host of the Tonight Show? That would take the show in a new direction and provide an entirely new audience base.
    The Tonight Show should not be the penultimate promotion in late night television – it IS an iconic t.v. show which needs to move away from the iconography and get back to what it is supposed to do – entertain people.

22. Kevin says:

The Roots best be staying right with Jimmy thats all I gotta say…

23. judy says:

that’s great… without a doubt jimmy will make it a great show

24. Faun says:

Well I guess NBC wasn’t satisfied looking like idiots when they tried to replace Leno with Conan, now they’re going to look like idiots again. I like Fallon but he’s better at late night. The tonight show time slot is for older folks, the younger ones like late night better. Goes to show why NBC rates in the bottom.

25. Hello there, I found your website once i was browsing Bling for internet websites correlated to this content. I wanted to notify you, your internet site is good. I just like the structure too, its wonderful. I don’t have the time now to fully read your site but I’ve bookmarked it and i also signed up on your RSS feed. I will be back inside a day or two. Many thanks for just a wonderful site.