Exclusive

Exclusive Glee Video: Will Blaine and Sam's '80s Flashback Be All Guilt and No Pleasure?

Glee Season 3 Sam Blaine Wake Me Up Before You Go-GoBlaine and Sam’s complicated bromance takes center stage this Thursday on Glee (9/8c, Fox) when the gay-straight BFFs take over New Directions and assign each member to perform their guiltiest musical pleasure.

RELATED | Look Who’s Returning to Glee!

Blaine quickly comes out as a Wham!-oholic, and convinces straight crush Sam to partner with him on the English pop duo’s 1984 classic, “Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go” — a collaboration that sets the stage for Blaine to finally (maybe) tell Sam how he really feels about him.

RELATED | May Sweeps Scorecard: Find Out Who’s Dying, Who’s Getting Hitched, Who’s Breaking Up and More!

Press PLAY below to watch the cheesetastic spectacle, and see how many classic ’80s music video tropes you can spot. And also answer this question: Do you think Glee is on the verge of Quinntana-ing Sam and Blaine?

Loading video...

1. Jennifer says:

Sigh. Always the same haters. Anyway, I loved this song, Blaine, Blam, etc. But stay pressed haters. Ryan Murphy loves Blam. And Darren and Chord, so… sorry about your luck.

2. Mariana says:

One of the best performances ever on Glee. Blaine and Sam are the best characters on this show. Blam forever. Your bitterness is showing ;)

• Tina says:

This isn’t even going to be the best performance within the episode, let alone on Glee. LMFAO.

• a says:

You do realize that people are allowed to have different opinions than you, right? You don’t need to attack everyone that enjoys Blaine, Sam, Blam, or this performance. It’s sad.

• Tina says:

Everyone? This is the first comment I’ve left on here.

• Jess says:

The point remains. There’s nothing wrong with expressing a negative opinion, but it seems like people would prefer to yell at or condescend to the people who like it, instead of just writing their own comment. There was no reason for you to reply to Mariana.

• Tina says:

…Do you think the reply option exists for no reason? People are allowed to state their opinions and agree or disagree with others in a COMMENT section of all places.

• Jess says:

@Tina. Why did you reply? Did you think that she would magically change her mind? Were you looking for a fight? People do things for a reason, so what, exactly, made you decide to reply to Mariana instead of just writing your own comment?

• Tina says:

Because her comment was laughable? You’re an idiot if you think people need a deep-seeded moral reason to reply to other comments on TVLine of all places.

• Jess says:

No, I’m not saying that you have to comment for greater justice, but I judge people who admit that writing comments just to mock someone for disagreeing with them. Oh, for the record, I didn’t like this performance. I’m not here to defend the characters, I just don’t think that you, and a lot of other commenters, are being rude.

• Blasto says:

Hi Mariana! This looks like a bunch of fun, and I’m excited over the other performances this week too.

3. Mark says:

How to make a fun 80s song a boring and lifeless mess? Answer: Glee and Sam/Blaine.

4. Mariana says:

It must suck being a hater. The more they bitch, the more focus Blam gets :)

5. Perfect, just perfect We are Blamming….

6. Katie says:

Love love love Blaine and Darren Criss and this Blam friendship has been one of the best things about season 4 for sure

7. Robby says:

Perfect example of why this season blows.

• Anna says:

Yep. Read that comment Naya Rivera made abotu them just running around with balloons while when the original cast had six hour sehearsals. It shows with this.

• Alex says:

Naya isn’t very accurate. The old glee club had “running around” or even just sitting around numbers like We are Young, My Love Is Your Love, True Colors, and Dog Days Are Over. The new glee club has run around numbers like Closer and Anything Could Happen, but they also have heavily choreographed numbers like Shout, Footloose, and Tell Him not to mention numbers with more traditional glee club choreography like Some Nights and Chasing Pavements. Overall, they are doing more challenging dancing this year, probably because the collective skill level is higher.

• Blasto says:

They don’t have to make as many editing cuts to mask the weaker dancers this year (see Black or White).

• Anna says:

You are talking about the expanse of 3 years against a little bit more of half a season starting in the 2013 side. I actually thought they had great dancing numbers during the first half of the season but that has glaringly changed and in about 3-4 episodes we’ve had more running around numbers than ever. I’m fearing Zach Woodlee was a casualty of the renewal negotiations, else he has caught that bug called laziness the writers have been suffering for more than 2 years now.

OT: I would never discuss the number of editing on dance numbers. Everyone can easily point out the dancers from the ones who try. Also, was Shout heavily choreographed? They had professional dancers doing all the hard job.

• Blasto says:

I’ll concede the edits. There will always be a lot of them. I can also agree with some of the Woodlee group numbers being more free-form than choreographed, but I hope he doesn’t get fired.

• Moira says:

Naya’s being bitter. No wonder her stans are angry pressed teens. They got it from their ~role model. LOL.

8. Tim says:

Great performance!

9. Elizabeth says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE Blam this season, their friendship is absolutely perfect!

10. Peter says:

Blam is awesome. BEST BROMANCE EVER!

11. adele says:

is blam what this pair is called? they suck together. the little charisma they have as individuals is completely canceled out when they’re a pair.

12. wow that was weak says:

I can’t even tell all these ND song apart any more. Way too many and using the same boring voices over and over. Do they do anything beside just run around the stage any more?

13. amazing perfomance, darren and chord are amazing in duets, as usual. Blam <3

14. H says:

The reason there are so many “haters” is because the show used to be for everyone and now it’s tailored to straight teenage girls. Ratings speak for themselves.

• Talia says:

I actually don’t think that’s true, but so what if it was? Why are teenage girls (straight or otherwise) an inherently inferior demographic? Plenty of shows go out of their way to target the 18-30 year old straight male viewers, but no one acts like that’s some sort of great tragedy. Somehow, I doubt you’d be this upset if Glee changed to appeal to an older audience, or any group other than teenage girls.

• Anna says:

Core of the problem. Thank you. And they continue to segment and take these choices based on those girls which no longer can sustain the screen of being that numerous in order to have their every wish fullfilled at the cost of every other part of the audience.

• Blasto says:

The musical format itself bars quite a few people from watching. If it were truly tailored to teenage girls (which isn’t a bad thing) then there’d be more Rachel/Kurt and more Jacob/Marley. Also the ratings slide is because it’s no longer a “fad” show and ratings on almost all broadcast shows are down (with exceptions, of course).

• Anna says:

I don’t get how Rachel/Kurt would be tailored for teenagers and the actual thing we are getting is for everyone? Jarley of course is teen focused, no discussion there. Rachel and Kurt were specially popular back in the day when the show was considered adult. (look for Murphy’s quotes, not that they should be valued much).

• Blasto says:

Sorry, I didn’t explain fully. Rachel represents the teenage girls (not quite a self-insert and she’s no Mary Sue either). Kurt also represents the teens because of all the adversity he’s faced. In an interview one time, Chris Colfer said that the majority of his fanmail came from teen girls who found Kurt as inspiration and a source of strength.

• Jenna says:

Have to disagree that glee is tailored to just girls because there’s plenty of male gazing in the Rachel and Santana characters, especially how they’ve been increasingly sexualitized this season. I think they’ve lost the mainstream audience as a whole, not JUST the male demographic

15. Dillon says:

You guys all just like putting a damper on to everything don’t you? And all you guys complaining about blaine’s ‘whining’ should try not whining yourselves.

16. Kate says:

SO beautiful. Best friendship/relationship portrayed on Glee, bar none.

• Oh, Glee fandom... says:

Not as long as Hummelberry and Marley/Unique exist.

• Em says:

Not as long as Klaine exists. “Even broken up, Kurt and Blaine’s relationship remains compelling” a highlight of the show.

• Anna says:

Just klainers and fan media believe this. And Heather from AE.

• Linda says:

Last week, Kurt and Blaine were the only Glee couple on US Weekly’s list of Top Gay and Lesbian TV Couples and last month, Kurt and Blaine were on CNN’s list of Favorite TV Couples of all time.

• Sarah says:

I don’t see how Klaine can be a highlight of the show this season when Kurt is barely a character.

17. Kat says:

I love it, the performance is so much fun, Chord and Darren sound awesome and the cast looks like they had a blast filming it.
    This is the best performance they have done in a while!

18. LW says:

I love these two guys together!! End the Sam/Brittany debacle and make Sam and Blaine a couple, the chemistry is better with Blam, they are adorbs, and it makes the Lima side of the show a million times more interesting to watch. Time for Blaine to move on and Kurt can pursue something with the nice British guy. This performance is so much better with the chemistry between these two. I’m rooting for a Blam romance. Wake Me Up is actually a decent Glee season 4 performance and that’s saying something.

19. Travis says:

Amazing performance! Shame there are so many bitter people here.

20. July says:

I wonder why the heck Blaine… a character with zero personality, zero fun to watch, zero good storylines gets all these fans, get all the ridiculous fangirls? It’s ridiculous, some people dare to say that his songs give money to the show. Lies, Let Me Love was the only song to reach the Top 10 of the iTunes, And it was sung by him.

• July says:

Correction: wasn’t sung by him.

• Em says:

Probably because this: “a character with zero personality, zero fun to watch, zero good storylines” is completely false. Once your hater vision is gone, you’ll understand why Blaine/Darren is so loved.

• July says:

@Blasto – Rachel, Santana, Kurt are ALL FICTIONAL CHARACTERS, YET THEY’RE STILL FUN TO WATCH. How you like that? And for the record, Let Me Love You reached 6 on iTunes.

• Blasto says:

I am a fan of Blaine and I don’t claim that he’s always the top seller. This season more than others is recent pop based, although The Scientist peaked at 11 on iTunes and sold ~1000 less than Let Me Love You did.

21. David says:

This is soooo freaking fantastic!!
    BLAM is easily the best thing this season and i wish they would room up together next season in NY.
    MORE BLAM PLEASE!!!

22. Ranwing says:

Oh lord… enough with Blam already! How about letting a few other characters actually get to sing this season. Kurt’s gotten one solo this entire season! And wasn’t this song supposed to be his initial audition for NYADA this season? Which we never got to see? But of course, they have to take everything of Kurt’s and give it to Blaine. Unloading this albatross may have cut into Kurt’s screen time, but it’s the best thing that happened to his character.

As for Blaine and Sam? A match made in Heaven. This way their suck doesn’t infect the better characters.

• Agnetha says:

Go back to you hidey-hole of hardcore Kurtsiedom. Kurt having a bad year is due to writing, not Blaine.

• Sasha says:

Kurt has less songs because his voice is awful but his stans think that he has the most beautiful voice in the world. Ugh. I’m still mad because he butchered the Whitney song last season.

• Leslie says:

That’s not the only thing Kurt butchered. Pretty much every duet he had with Blaine (except for BICO and possibly Perfect) was butchered by him with his high pitch shrilly shrieky voice, notably White Christmas, Big Girls Don’t Cry and the recently Come What May (just listening to the a capella version and hearing Kurt’s shrieking voice made me realize why Blaine was asked to sing louder). But of course, the Kurtsie stans try to blame it all on Blaine with their vile and vicious attacks on him. They’ll never admit that Kurt’s voice only works for a very few types of songs.

• Leslie says:

I’ll bet what we hear from Kurt’s NYADA version of this song is that of shrieking voice sounding like an animal being tortured. Yes, thank you for cutting that screen time to something more humanly pleasant. I used to be a Klainer (luv both Chris and Darren) but after all the vile, toxic and hurtful things the Kurtsie stan’s were throwing at and accusing Blaine/Darren, it’s not worth for me to ship the characters as a couple and to deal with the bickering, bullying and constant hating by the Kurtsies towards the actor. To think, both of these actors are good friends and yet the Kurtsies are constantly pointing fingers at Darren for anything and everything, e.g. even Kurt’s lack of screen time (maybe Santana being in NY now may have something to do with it). Clearly Blaine and Kurt should not be together as the TPTB, namely the obnoxious fandoms, have more say to this than the actual creators of the show or better yet cancel the show to stop the toxic fumes emanating from the gleeks. I swear, I’ve been through a lot of fandoms in my hey days but one thing I can say, the glee fandoms are the worst which is magnified by the social media.

23. Ezzy says:

Isn’t Sam and Brittany still married (I still don’t know if it was for real or not)

24. K says:

Love blaine and Darren… haters gonna hate and be vocal and obnoxious about it but that doesn’t change the fact that he is a character who is loved by many … his stuff with sue last week was hilarious and he songs are always amazing… this performance is amazing and it is a real shame that people can’t see past their biases to recognise this… luckily the network clearly does not pay attention…

25. Sarah says:

I like both characters well enough, but Glee hit it’s Blam saturation point a few episodes ago. There’s far too much Blaine as well. C’mon Murphy, you have a huge and wildly talented cast, mix it up a bit, give other people (Artie, Unique, Kitty, Kurt) some time to shine.

26. SanSan says:

Wow the best couple!!!! Blam forever!!!! p.s: i’m a brittana shipper :-D

27. lilikoiluv says:

Such awesome cheese-tastic 80’s fun from Blaine, Sam, and the rest of New Directions! I’ve enjoyed Blam’s friendship this season. I’ve also enjoyed all of the wonderful ND group numbers–they seem to have so much fun, which makes it fun for me to watch too!

28. Kurtstillmattersbutnottogleeobviously says:

Wow, you did it, Blee! You sucked the life out of Wham!

Missing when this show used to be about interesting but unpopular kids trying to make it in a hostile word, not Ryan’s fantasies about basic, popular boys jumping up and down just because.

• Blasto says:

As soon as the football players and cheerleaders joined the club in early season 1, the focus skewed more to them than the unpopular kids.

29. Jon says:

Worth watching just to see Blaine without a full jar of gel on his head every week!

30. David says:

Upbeat and energetic number – love it! Really enjoying the Sam/Blaine friendship! Looks like a fun episode coming up.

31. Rachel says:

I don’t see Blam becoming a real pairing. That being said, this is so fun! Numbers like this make me love Glee. Nothing like a little Wham in the morning. Chord and Darren did an awesome job on this one.

32. Gail says:

This is adorably cheesy! I like the attention to detail including the T Shirts from the original designed by Katharine Hamnett directed at drug abuse and suicide. Love the hair on the guy on the keyboards!

• Blasto says:

Before I looked it up, I had thought that the “Choose Life” message was an anti-abortion slogan. This proves that I’m a child of the 90s. :P Thanks Gail.

33. KC says:

Such a fun tease for their epic bromance. Blam need to get a room pronto.

34. Andria says:

I think this is one of the most amazing performances… Love the colors but most importanly I love to see Blam!! One of the greatest friendships in the show!!! Love Darren’s hair… Hahah the earring! So clever!!! #spreadlove

35. Rita says:

Sugar and Joe? D:

36. Fernanda says:

Blam friendship is awesome but thinking them together, big no no. This is not Queer as Folk (even if I had fantasies with these two). Bad Idea, I hope the whole Blaine’s crush could end in this episode

37. Ira says:

I dont mind Sam and Blaine, it seems like a very normal thing for two guys to have a friendship and for Blaine to have a crush on Sam ( I mean have you seen those abs!), I do mind that Tina and Artie are underappreciated, Artie had no storyline and Tina had a crush on Blaine but I guess now that thats over she will be in the back again. IMO Finn may drop of the gleeplanet for good.

To the people who are not getting the Blaineobsession, Darren Chris has a large fanbase outside of glee with the Starkids, those are very loyal and very active fans who sometimes watch the show just for Darren. (btw starkid is totally awesome so if you dont know it you should check it out)

38. anonymous says:

it sucks. its not working

39. marilyn says:

Loved the video… does anyone know (did you look on another website) where the girls got their skirts and shirts! The are awesome… If you know, reply. Thanks…

40. Amber says:

I love Blaine. Always gonna be a group of haters. I agree with the Jake and Marley over kill. At the end of the day this is Glee’s worst season and it should have been cancelled before it even started

41. SA says:

I’m sorry but Glee has been bad since season two.I can admit there is an overexposure of Blaine but he is not the sole reason this show blows.It still blew when they where overexposing Rachel,Finn,Santana, etc.That point becomes a little moot when the show suffers from bad writing.You can overlook a character being focus if there is actually good storytelling.I mostly watch now out of habit and for the fact that I’m mostly bored at tv when it airs.If I had something else to watch I would gladly switch the channel.

42. Anjouan81 says:

Are those OP shorts? Please tell me they’ll be back in style this summer!

43. marina says:

boring, what did i just watch, the weakest singers singing together.

44. Jeanne says:

Every pair of ‘Glee’ pals, in which one character happens attracted to people of the same sex as the other character, turns into a romantic relationship. Can there be such a thing as a pair of ‘Glee’ friends in which one might potentially be attracted to other, but this doesn’t actually happen? Examples: Mercedes was in love with Kurt (Season 1), Artie was in love with Tina (Season 1), Sam was in love with Quinn (Season 2), Brittany and Santana went from friends to lovers (throughout), Kurt and Blaine (throughout), Rachel and Finn (throughout), Tina was in love with Blaine (Season 4), and now Sam and Blaine?

45. JJ says:

Yay! Another boring Blam duet! Now I can take a rest room break during the song instead of during he commercials.

Darren Criss is too overexposed on this show, and it’s hurt the ratings. For someone who has more songs and screentime than any other character this season, Blaine has had almost no character development (except for becoming a cheater). As others have said, he is basically just a jukebox. Blaine was a lot more likable when he was used as a supporting character more in line with the talent level of the actor who portrays him.

In significantly less screentime, we have seen lots of changes and growth in Kurt and Rachel. Sadly the NY end of the show suffers from lack of development because RIB is forcing the newbies in the recycled storylines week after week, and making sure Blaine gets to sing several songs just about every week.

Just watching the movie episode, you can tell how much better the writing and acting is on the NY side of the show is. For all the songs that week on the Lima said, there was zero character development.

It is embarrassing that RIB neglects their most critically acclaimed and award winning actors like Chris Colfer, Lea Michele, and Jane Lynch to push actors who are not strong enough to be lead actors and carry the show without propping up from the original cast. And shame on Fox for allowing them to do that.

And I’m sure that the Blaine stans will be writing “haters gonna hate” after this, but they say that about anyone who dares say anything negative about their teen idol. What they need to realize is everyone is entitled to their opinions, and last time I checked, there was no law stating that everyone in the world has to love Darren Criss or Blaine. Plus, some of the same people who call everyone else haters are the same people who harrass and bully Oliver Kieran-Jones simply because his character stands in the way of their OTP. So they should remember that before they start calling people haters simply because they don’t think Darren Criss is the second coming of Christ.

• Sue B says:

Well said.

• Natalie says:

Agree with everything in this. Enough of Blaine, Sam, Marley, Jake and the rest of the mediocre characters/actors. Please, Glee, before it’s too late focus on the other people you have who actually can carry a show. Lea, Cory, Chris, Naya, Kevin, Jane, Jayma and yes Matt, when he gets good storylines, are the greatest talents on Glee and they’re being criminally under used. This show used to be soooo good. 80% of it is not even watchable right now. :(

• gigi says:

LOL I am can’t believe you call Blaine, Sam, Marley, and Jake mediocre actors and then claim Kevin can carry a show. He might be a good singer, but he’s one of the worst actors. Go back to ONTD_glee.

46. AuntSnix says:

people are complaining of over exposure of newbies and Blaine, stop it. The newbies and Darren and Chord are just doing their jobs…if you’re complaining old cast are not getting so much screen time blame them. Ryan Murphy and Co. has given them lesser screen time due to their complain of overworked, so they compromised by lessening their screen time but quality storyline so that they can do other works outside GLEE, the’re been there for 3 years and its time they do something besides Glee.

47. Sue B says:

I am not sure why Klaine and Blaine came back into the discussion, unless it’s because Blam is so boring, but…I don’t know how anyone can justify Klaine over Kadam. Adam is so supportive, whereas Blaine just wants to be loved by everyone (“we WILL be together”–when did you own Kurt, Blaine?). Meanwhile, we get Blam b/c Blaine can pass (so it’s okay for them to be bros, whereas Kurt would have made Sam an outcast). This video is so boring. Glee sucked the life out of Wham.

• Agnetha says:

Hi Sue Brody. Please keep on grinding that ax. I actually would like to see more Kadam but I don’t feel the need to pull out my “1000 Reasons Blaine and Darren Are the Devil Incarnate” at every turn to prop them up.

48. steph says:

honestly there hasn’t been much character development for anyone because they are trying to cram so many musical numbers into each episode. lately there has been an average of 6-8 songs per episode where as in previous seasons I think 5 was the max. I am not complaining as I have enjoyed most of them. Sometimes I like the glee version better than the original. As to the Blam controversy, I think it’s a great story line and the most believeable of some of the other recent plots. Darren and Chord are at their best when they are working together. As to the Darren haters, if he is so bad why is he the only one they let sing live, why because they trust that he can pull it off and he does. He has a great voice. There is a little place on the internet called youtube, go there and search for him, watch the videos where he sings in the clubs, especially when he does his own original music, and when he sings bring it on home by Sam Cook. He was a musician before glee and he will be a musician well after glee, he doesn’t control what he sings or how many songs he gets, but luckily he can pull off almost any genre of music and he has. He’s done broadway songs and killed it (Something’s coming and Beauty school dropout) He’s done pop, r&b and classic songs(Paul McCartney’s Silly Love songs Tom Jones’ It’s not unusual – which pretty much has been used as a joke on other shows ala fresh prince) and has nailed every one. The only really bad song Darren Criss number on glee has been Candles (sorry that one was really bad), but he was not to blame it was not the right song for a duet and not for their voices, the blame for that one falls on whoever picked it and whoever arraigned it. Chord is also a very talented musician who is doing a great job with whatever he has been given, and wait til tomorrow – Copacabana sure its corny and cheesy but that’s what makes it great, and he kills it. I have been listening to it nonstop since Monday.
    Let glee be glee from the sublime to the ridiculous, it’s not meant to be Masterpeice theater, it’s there to entertain, no matter what they do it’s still the one hour in a week where I can close my door turn on my tv and forget about the stress of the real world, and be able to lol and sing and occasionly dance around the room. I do have issues with the direction the show has taken, but I will watch til the end no matter what they do, because it makes me happy and after it’s over there’s always netflix

but to each their own.

49. gigi says:

It must really suck to be so obsessed with a TV show that you spend all your time on the Internet reading about it and complaining about how awful it is and should be canceled… If it’s canceled, what will you do with your lives? Where will your bitterness and obsession move to then? Here’s a helpful hint- if you hate this show, STOP WATCHING. Trust me, no one will miss you in the fandom.

50. Nina says:

I love Blam so mu-hu-hu-uch it hurts. I know Glee will never hook them up cause Glee never did anything right. But still I love how they introduce me to this awesome pairing, I mean, friendship. Ahem.

• Leslie says:

The BLAM friendship is one of the best things that happened in glee s4. Their amazing chemistry is undeniable and their friendship is so natural and light-hearted. With so much drama going on, this pairing provided a breath of fresh air and sometimes I also wish it was more (just because they are so cute together and their personalities kind of mesh well; not to mention their voices harmonize/blend well together unlike the voices of some pairings, e.g. klaine, bram). But I also like the notion that a gay guy and a straight guy can be best friends. So, yay for BLAM, be it brotherhood or something else. This song has so much vibrancy and energy. It totally rocks!!!