Scoop: Smash Boss on This Week's Big Marilyn Reveal, and the Semi-Return of (Gulp) Tech!

Get More: Exclusive, Spoilers

Smash Season 2 Spoilers Marilyn Smash is finally pulling the curtain back on its big Bombshell mystery.

Exec producer Josh Safran tells TVLine that tonight’s episode — the first of three final Tuesday installments before the drama relocates to Saturdays at 9/8c on April 6 — will “a hundred percent” reveal whether Ivy or Karen will be playing Marilyn in the musical-within-the-show.

RELATED | Smash Boss Previews Show’s Series Finale

“I know that the audience is sort of thinking that there’s still going to be a ‘who’s going to do what’ fight throughout the year [between Ivy and Karen],” says Safran. “But there is not going to be. The lines that are drawn in the sand at the end of [tonight's] episode are the lines that are in the sand for the rest of the season.

“The ball is just starting to roll now,” the boss enthuses, “and it’s going to roll faster and faster and faster.”

To wit, viewers will witness Smash‘s Broadway debut in Episode 12 on April 20 — long before the season concludes. “Bombshell comes out of the rehearsal room very quickly and moves to Broadway,” says Safran. “So you definitely see the previews and dress rehearsals and the entire process.”

RELATED | TVLine’s 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s Coming Back? What’s on the Bubble?

And what about last season’s much-lampooned pre-opening staple known as tech? “We do a little bit of tech,” Safran says with a chuckle. “But, obviously, we were very shrewd to stay away from tech after all of the comments last year.”

Comments (35)

• Ivy will be Tom’s Marilyn and Karen will be Derek’s choice. So if they give Tom the show I think Ivy will get the part

Comment by Kristen Thornton – March 19, 2013 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Plus Karen directly disobeyed Jerry and went and did a performance with Kyle and Jimmy’s show. I’m sure a video of that will somehow make it into Jerry’s hands… so then Karen will get fired and go work with her wannabe-boyfriend on the next Rent, and Ivy will leave the Liasons trainwreck and come back as Marilyn.

Everyone lives happily ever after…. and SCENE!

Comment by Matt – March 19, 2013 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yeah. there was a photo released of Ivy singing as Marilyn from the episode “Opening Night”

Comment by j – March 19, 2013 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed!

Comment by Megan Hull – March 19, 2013 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Do they really think this will be a surprise? You’re right. Ivy will be Marilyn in Bombshell. Derek and Karen will work on Hit List. Perhaps this is what’s wrong with Smash and one of the reasons why it isn’t doing better in the ratings – the writers have no idea how predictable the show now is.

Comment by Ava – March 19, 2013 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s SOOO predictable. The writing isn’t on the wall, it’s in the freaking sky, scorched on the ground and tattooed over all the characters’ faces.

Comment by Josh – March 19, 2013 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Honestly, from the very first episode, Ivy always deserved that role. It’s almost comical that anyone believed Karen should get it. Not that she’s not talented, but the fact of the matter is Ivy is better for the role and more experienced. Even watching the audition sequence there’s a clear winner.

Comment by Michael – November 5, 2013 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i thought that Karen was Marilyn? did i miss something, there didn’t seem to be any questions this season as who was playing it…

Comment by mycatmidnite – March 19, 2013 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can someone tell me about this tech that? I can’t remember it at all but the controversy sounds fun

Comment by Rrrrrr – March 19, 2013 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “I’m in tech.” was the greatest line in television history and delivered brilliantly by Katharine McPhee.

Comment by Viv – March 19, 2013 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sarcasm?

Comment by Chi – March 19, 2013 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I can’t really answer this, I’m in tech!

Comment by Josh – March 19, 2013 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • OMG I just spat my drink all over my keyboard! ROFL

Comment by Ally_D – March 19, 2013 03:10 PM PDT
          • lol irl – i <3 josh.

Comment by Alice Blue – March 19, 2013 04:14 PM PDT
  • No one cares.

Comment by Molly – March 19, 2013 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • … about Molly, the troll

Comment by Matt – March 19, 2013 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tech last year was when everything went down with Ivy sleeping with Dev and the engagement and all.

Comment by Ally – March 19, 2013 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too late. I’m already gone…………………………..

Comment by Alienate – March 19, 2013 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They haven’t decided whose playing Marilyn yet? No wonder I stopped watching this show..lol

Comment by Jade – March 19, 2013 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ivy has to be playing Marilyn. There are songs on the Bombshell album with Ivy being Marilyn that haven’t been on the show (Dig Deep, Hang The Moon)

Comment by Jordan D. Hilton – March 19, 2013 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There are also songs of Karen singing “Norma Jean-esque songs”. My gut says that they both share the role with Ivy the Bombshell and Karen “the wounded deer”. After all they spent the money to rerecord the start of Let Me Be Your Star. If I am wrong they missed out by not having this be a contest for fans to vote for Marilyn by having two versions of the soundtrack with each girl being the main role and the one with the most sales by DEC getting the role.

Comment by Thereasonsy – March 19, 2013 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Very clever- I vote Team Karen :-)

Comment by Misty – March 20, 2013 08:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ivy most likely is Marilyn and Karen joins Hit List as the lead. The only reason why she joins Hit List is because she is in love with Jimmy and Derek is directing. What is Tech?? When I think of Tech I think of something completly different.

Comment by Kristina – March 19, 2013 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ick, I hate Hit List with a passion. It’s so pretentious…You know the new showrunner is going to have Hit List be bigger than Bombshell.

Comment by Josh – March 19, 2013 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If I recall correctly, ‘Tech’ was the technical run throughs they did in Boston to work on staging and lighting. When Karen’s boyfriend came to Boston, she blew him off by saying she was in Tech. I guess it’s important to keep up since the choreo and timing of the show are likely adjusted a lot during this period of time. I guess once it’s ‘finalized’, it just becomes rehearsals.

Comment by AngieD – March 19, 2013 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Close, Tech is where you lock the show. No more changes are supposed to be done and you move into the final dress rehearsals, Invited Dress, Previews, and then you open. However most shows have changes until the final preview.

Comment by Thereasonsy – March 19, 2013 09:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Usually finding out that a show is cancelled. I wouldn’t even bother continuing, but thankfully its at least going to have an ending.

Comment by A – March 19, 2013 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not to be annoying, but they aren’t cancelled yet. There is a .00001% chance of a renewal if the other shows bomb and SMASH’s ratings actual go up. AGAIN, a slim chance but stranger things have happened which is why the network didn’t outright cancel the show.

Comment by Thereasonsy – March 19, 2013 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I hope so. I’m only being negative because its highly likely to be cancelled especially after them deciding to move it to Saturday, plus the show is really expensive to produce. I personally love this season way more than the last season and I hope it continues.

Comment by A – March 19, 2013 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • any chance for another network to pick up Smash? I love this show way too much to see it go!

Comment by Allyson – March 19, 2013 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAWN… If listening to the soundtrack is any indication, Karen is Norma Jean and Ivy is Marilyn. There of course will be some drama and Karen doing Hit List but in the end no one woman can be Marilyn.

Comment by Thereasonsy – March 19, 2013 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate that Mad Hatter-looking, bipolar Jimmy so much. His songs are phony and he’s always on his period.

It made me so mad when he told off Karen for ditching them, saying her career is more important than her friends. What?! He wanted her to stay to move forward his own career! So what he really meant was how dare she concentrate on her own career when she has to concentrate on his.

Such a stupid character.

Comment by Pepper – March 19, 2013 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s going to be Ivy. I think I saw a spoiler showing the Bombshell poster where Tom was director.

Comment by ABC – March 19, 2013 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I definitely saw that.

Comment by dan – March 19, 2013 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I fell in love with the show-within-the-show when Karen was Marilyn and Derek was the director. Last season was hailed as “the show everyone loves to hate” and now I’m leaning towards just hating and deleting from the DVR :-(

Comment by Misty – March 20, 2013 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post