Exclusive

Scoop: Smash Boss on This Week's Big Marilyn Reveal, and the Semi-Return of (Gulp) Tech!

Smash Season 2 Spoilers Marilyn Smash is finally pulling the curtain back on its big Bombshell mystery.

Exec producer Josh Safran tells TVLine that tonight’s episode — the first of three final Tuesday installments before the drama relocates to Saturdays at 9/8c on April 6 — will “a hundred percent” reveal whether Ivy or Karen will be playing Marilyn in the musical-within-the-show.

RELATED | Smash Boss Previews Show’s Series Finale

“I know that the audience is sort of thinking that there’s still going to be a ‘who’s going to do what’ fight throughout the year [between Ivy and Karen],” says Safran. “But there is not going to be. The lines that are drawn in the sand at the end of [tonight’s] episode are the lines that are in the sand for the rest of the season.

“The ball is just starting to roll now,” the boss enthuses, “and it’s going to roll faster and faster and faster.”

To wit, viewers will witness Smash‘s Broadway debut in Episode 12 on April 20 — long before the season concludes. “Bombshell comes out of the rehearsal room very quickly and moves to Broadway,” says Safran. “So you definitely see the previews and dress rehearsals and the entire process.”

RELATED | TVLine’s 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s Coming Back? What’s on the Bubble?

And what about last season’s much-lampooned pre-opening staple known as tech? “We do a little bit of tech,” Safran says with a chuckle. “But, obviously, we were very shrewd to stay away from tech after all of the comments last year.”

1. Ivy will be Tom’s Marilyn and Karen will be Derek’s choice. So if they give Tom the show I think Ivy will get the part

• Matt says:

Plus Karen directly disobeyed Jerry and went and did a performance with Kyle and Jimmy’s show. I’m sure a video of that will somehow make it into Jerry’s hands… so then Karen will get fired and go work with her wannabe-boyfriend on the next Rent, and Ivy will leave the Liasons trainwreck and come back as Marilyn.

Everyone lives happily ever after…. and SCENE!

• j says:

yeah. there was a photo released of Ivy singing as Marilyn from the episode “Opening Night”

• Ava says:

Do they really think this will be a surprise? You’re right. Ivy will be Marilyn in Bombshell. Derek and Karen will work on Hit List. Perhaps this is what’s wrong with Smash and one of the reasons why it isn’t doing better in the ratings – the writers have no idea how predictable the show now is.

• Josh says:

It’s SOOO predictable. The writing isn’t on the wall, it’s in the freaking sky, scorched on the ground and tattooed over all the characters’ faces.

• Michael says:

Honestly, from the very first episode, Ivy always deserved that role. It’s almost comical that anyone believed Karen should get it. Not that she’s not talented, but the fact of the matter is Ivy is better for the role and more experienced. Even watching the audition sequence there’s a clear winner.

2. mycatmidnite says:

i thought that Karen was Marilyn? did i miss something, there didn’t seem to be any questions this season as who was playing it…

3. Rrrrrr says:

Can someone tell me about this tech that? I can’t remember it at all but the controversy sounds fun

4. Molly says:

No one cares.

5. Matt says:

… about Molly, the troll

6. Ally says:

Tech last year was when everything went down with Ivy sleeping with Dev and the engagement and all.

7. Alienate says:

Too late. I’m already gone…………………………..

8. Jade says:

They haven’t decided whose playing Marilyn yet? No wonder I stopped watching this show..lol

9. Jordan D. Hilton says:

Ivy has to be playing Marilyn. There are songs on the Bombshell album with Ivy being Marilyn that haven’t been on the show (Dig Deep, Hang The Moon)

• Thereasonsy says:

There are also songs of Karen singing “Norma Jean-esque songs”. My gut says that they both share the role with Ivy the Bombshell and Karen “the wounded deer”. After all they spent the money to rerecord the start of Let Me Be Your Star. If I am wrong they missed out by not having this be a contest for fans to vote for Marilyn by having two versions of the soundtrack with each girl being the main role and the one with the most sales by DEC getting the role.

10. Kristina says:

Ivy most likely is Marilyn and Karen joins Hit List as the lead. The only reason why she joins Hit List is because she is in love with Jimmy and Derek is directing. What is Tech?? When I think of Tech I think of something completly different.

• Josh says:

Ick, I hate Hit List with a passion. It’s so pretentious…You know the new showrunner is going to have Hit List be bigger than Bombshell.

• AngieD says:

If I recall correctly, ‘Tech’ was the technical run throughs they did in Boston to work on staging and lighting. When Karen’s boyfriend came to Boston, she blew him off by saying she was in Tech. I guess it’s important to keep up since the choreo and timing of the show are likely adjusted a lot during this period of time. I guess once it’s ‘finalized’, it just becomes rehearsals.

• Thereasonsy says:

Close, Tech is where you lock the show. No more changes are supposed to be done and you move into the final dress rehearsals, Invited Dress, Previews, and then you open. However most shows have changes until the final preview.

11. A says:

Usually finding out that a show is cancelled. I wouldn’t even bother continuing, but thankfully its at least going to have an ending.

• Thereasonsy says:

Not to be annoying, but they aren’t cancelled yet. There is a .00001% chance of a renewal if the other shows bomb and SMASH’s ratings actual go up. AGAIN, a slim chance but stranger things have happened which is why the network didn’t outright cancel the show.

• A says:

I hope so. I’m only being negative because its highly likely to be cancelled especially after them deciding to move it to Saturday, plus the show is really expensive to produce. I personally love this season way more than the last season and I hope it continues.

12. Allyson says:

any chance for another network to pick up Smash? I love this show way too much to see it go!

13. Thereasonsy says:

YAWN… If listening to the soundtrack is any indication, Karen is Norma Jean and Ivy is Marilyn. There of course will be some drama and Karen doing Hit List but in the end no one woman can be Marilyn.

14. Pepper says:

I hate that Mad Hatter-looking, bipolar Jimmy so much. His songs are phony and he’s always on his period.

It made me so mad when he told off Karen for ditching them, saying her career is more important than her friends. What?! He wanted her to stay to move forward his own career! So what he really meant was how dare she concentrate on her own career when she has to concentrate on his.

Such a stupid character.

15. ABC says:

It’s going to be Ivy. I think I saw a spoiler showing the Bombshell poster where Tom was director.

16. Misty says:

I fell in love with the show-within-the-show when Karen was Marilyn and Derek was the director. Last season was hailed as “the show everyone loves to hate” and now I’m leaning towards just hating and deleting from the DVR :-(