Ratings: DWTS Premiere Dips, Broke Girls at Low, Deception Rises With Finale, Castle Hits a High

Ratings Dancing With the Stars Season 16 PremiereDancing With the Stars returned to the parquet on Monday night with a total audience of 16.8 million viewers, while scoring a 3.1 demo rating. That’s up 14 percent from last fall’s All-Stars opener yet down 11 percent from the competition’s year-ago premiere.

That said, those numbers mark ABC’s biggest audience and No. 2 demo delivery in the two-hour time slot since April 2012.

Accordingly, Castle ticked up 4 percent to a season-high audience of 11.23 mil, while dipping a tenth to a 2.2. (‘Cause someone may ask: The split was 11.8 mil/2.3, 10.6 mil/2.1.)

RELATED | Castle Recap: Castle and Bucket

Over on NBC, The Biggest Loser finale drew 7.33 mil and a 2.6, up 30 percent week-to-week and up 18 percent from its previous closer. Deception’s season (series?) finale saw gains of 7 percent and two tenths, to 3.52 mil/1.3.

Facing all-new competition, Fox’s Bones (7.3 mil/2.0) was down 13 percent and two tenths, while The Following (7.1 mil/2.4) dropped 13 and 11 percent (yet again was Monday’s highest-rated drama).

RELATED | The Following Recap: ‘It’s a Freakin’ Metaphor!’

Turning to CBS: HIMYM (7.4 mil/2.9) was down 14 and 12 percent, Rules of Engagement (6.63 mil/2.2) ticked up a tenth, 2 Broke Girls (8.4 mil/2.7) dropped 20 and 18 percent to series lows, and Mike & Molly (8.2 mil/2.4) fell 16 and 11 percent. Hawaii Five-0 (8.8 mil/2.1) rose a tenth.

And lastly, The CW’s Carrie Diaries (1.04 mil/0.5) held steady in audience while ticking up to a five-week demo high.

Want scoop on any of the above shows? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Martina says:

I wish given their ratings Deception would have wrapped it all up, telling us who the killer was but not why… Surely they can’t expect another season

• dude says:

They finished filming before the season premiered. They didn’t know how it would be rated so they couldn’t make it a series finale in case it was successful.

2. NetworkIdiots says:

Shows like 2 BROKE GIRLS would see less ups and downs if they just ran consecutive NEW eps instead of repeat, repeat, new show, repeat, repeat, new show. JUST SAYING. it’s not rocket science!

3. Leigh says:

Yay Castle! It was a good episode so the ratings are well deserved.

• taliesin says:

In all fairness, Castle hit a high in viewers watching, but not in ratings. The ratings were actually down 4% from the last new episode. Of course these are just preliminary numbers and the could be adjusted up or down once the final numbers come in.

• Leah says:

I thought this one was pretty boring. Even the you-think-you-have-it-all-figured-out-but-wait-you-don’t twist was… eh. But Castle and Beckett were charming as always, of course. I guess that’s why I keep watching.

4. Maki says:

Soooooo! It’s a shame That the Carrie Diaries are so low in ratings! the show is pretty amusing and funny! and so real at some points! Seems a CW show can’t get good ratings if they start from Half Season!

5. diane says:

TV needs to eliminate reality tv on networks because it takes away from good shows to develop an audience. Deception also can’t breakthrough due to being against veteran shows so people dvr them or other streamed methods that don’t count in ratings.

6. Babybop says:

2 Broke Girls and HIMYM going down doesn’t surprise me. Too many repeats!

7. Chicago Dan says:

Last year’s DWTS premier faced TV. Last night did not. ABC must be concerned with the dip and what will be coming in the next few weeks.

8. Sarah says:

As bummed as I am about Bones getting a 2.0, I’m more worried about next week. I really really hope it doesn’t fall below 2.0.

• taliesin says:

Well, it would suck, but it has already been renewed for Season 9 so the occasional low rating isn’t going to make a huge impact right now.

• Katie says:

exactly, it would be nice to have a 16M lead in too or any lead in. Bones always has to pull its own weight with no lead ins.

• Sarah says:

@Katie

I really wish they’d move it back to Thursday-preferably at 9 because if I remember correctly it did pretty well against Grey’s-but I honestly don’t think that’s going to happen.

• amber says:

Bones got adjusted up to a 2.1 :) …..the 8pm slot is going to be brutal on Mondays now plus particulary it gets hit by daylight savings too……..All in all steady rating for Bones though. IMO

9. Meredith says:

I’m keeping fingers and toes crossed that Deception is somehow miraculously renewed. Last night’s episode was amazing and season 2 would be even better!!

• Jasmine says:

I agree. DECEPTION is a very good show with an Excellent cast. 2 broke Girls is trash and DWTS is stale. I am not a “reality tv” person, so I think good shows are suffering for cheap bad reality shows.

• Faster says:

Agree. It’s certainly better than most of the other offerings from NBC.

• Mikael says:

I agree as well. I think it took a little while to get going, but it got really good. Victor Garber is amazing. NBC should at least bring it back for a summer show or maybe something to air while their regular shows are on winter hiatus.

10. Hamish says:

I turned last night’s episode of 2 Broke Girls off mid-episode and removed the series from our DVR recordings. As far as I’m concerned, the show has jumped the shark. I’m not surprised the ratings are dropping.

• Jake says:

Last night’s episode definitely had a much harsher tone than usual, regardless of what the end intent was. It was just cruel at times, which the series is rarely intentionally trying to be cruel to the characters despite all the joking/picking on they do to each other.

11. Mick says:

Deception is actually pretty good. I’m going to miss it.

12. sladewilson says:

I’m hoping Deception finds a second season (maybe as a mid season fill in like this season?). The show picked up in the last couple of episodes.

13. Bridget jones says:

i’d also like a second season pick-up for deception. I love, love edward and julian :) the show is totally crazy, but its fun to talk about!

14. Mark says:

Well here’s hoping Lisa Vanderpump stays in Dancing With the Stars for many weeks to come. I absolutely adore her. I love that they paired her with such a young hottie too. I figured she’d get like that Louie guy or something. I’m glad she got a young new thing. GO LISA! And when she loses, go Sean!

15. Katie says:

Bones down by 13% really, TVBTN says 9%. Your anti-Bones bias is showing again.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

And I quote: “Fox’s Bones (7.3 mil/2.0) was down 13 percent [IN TOTAL AUDIENCE] and two tenths [IN THE DEMO aka 9 PERCENT].”

• francisca says:

Cat ate your tongue now?
      If you payed any attention at all you’d notice that this site is anything but anti-Bones. I’ve never seen any article from this site nor any of the writers here bad-mouthing it. From where I stand I can see that Bones is in fact one of the most beloved shows here on TVLine. The fact that they also love other shows doesn’t mean that they hate Bones.

16. Teri says:

Yea for Castle which is the best show on TV. Always fun and entertaining with great writing and acting. Love this show so much.

17. I wish Deception could return for a season 2 for at least the summer. They found a way to keep the show going and they left us with a cliff hanger

18. Nero theTVFiddler says:

I’m still betting on HIMYM to build on their audience as the season nears a close – they’ve got potential to really hit a homerun in May – perhaps reaching all-time highs. HIMYM had a nice storyline last night. Watch the metamophasis of Robin – remarkable. She used to be that crazy girl slapping her hips and singing Bang-Bang-Bangity-Bang. No more – she’s growing up. I liked the fact that despite the ‘bad vibes’ of Barney’s fortress, she elects to hold onto it – a nice touch [ and thank goodness, I love that bachelor pad of Barney's. ;)]

BTW – did anyone catch the ‘safari adventure’ clip on the fake-window green-screen as Barney displayed the ‘view’ to potential real estate clients: “And here we have Paris, Safari Adventure, Rome, …” ? That safari adventure clip – very Barney!

Regarding 2Broke – my favorite character is Sophie – if they can keep her going, I’m happy. She reminds me of how Sue used to be on Glee, and how Michael once was on Office. Every time she’s on camera, something wierd and/or funny is coming.

19. Leondre says:

Deception-1.2
    The Carrie Diaries-0.4

20. Leondre says:

My Bad:

2 Broke Girls-2.8

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

Thank you Leondre – good work. And look at that – best demo numbers last night for a scripted show – HIMYM 3.0. Very nice. :) That show will be golden for CBS come May.