Ratings: DWTS Premiere Dips, Broke Girls at Low, Deception Rises With Finale, Castle Hits a High

Ratings Dancing With the Stars Season 16 PremiereDancing With the Stars returned to the parquet on Monday night with a total audience of 16.8 million viewers, while scoring a 3.1 demo rating. That’s up 14 percent from last fall’s All-Stars opener yet down 11 percent from the competition’s year-ago premiere.

That said, those numbers mark ABC’s biggest audience and No. 2 demo delivery in the two-hour time slot since April 2012.

Accordingly, Castle ticked up 4 percent to a season-high audience of 11.23 mil, while dipping a tenth to a 2.2. (‘Cause someone may ask: The split was 11.8 mil/2.3, 10.6 mil/2.1.)

RELATED | Castle Recap: Castle and Bucket

Over on NBC, The Biggest Loser finale drew 7.33 mil and a 2.6, up 30 percent week-to-week and up 18 percent from its previous closer. Deception’s season (series?) finale saw gains of 7 percent and two tenths, to 3.52 mil/1.3.

Facing all-new competition, Fox’s Bones (7.3 mil/2.0) was down 13 percent and two tenths, while The Following (7.1 mil/2.4) dropped 13 and 11 percent (yet again was Monday’s highest-rated drama).

RELATED | The Following Recap: ‘It’s a Freakin’ Metaphor!’

Turning to CBS: HIMYM (7.4 mil/2.9) was down 14 and 12 percent, Rules of Engagement (6.63 mil/2.2) ticked up a tenth, 2 Broke Girls (8.4 mil/2.7) dropped 20 and 18 percent to series lows, and Mike & Molly (8.2 mil/2.4) fell 16 and 11 percent. Hawaii Five-0 (8.8 mil/2.1) rose a tenth.

And lastly, The CW’s Carrie Diaries (1.04 mil/0.5) held steady in audience while ticking up to a five-week demo high.

Want scoop on any of the above shows? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

Comments (45)

• I wish given their ratings Deception would have wrapped it all up, telling us who the killer was but not why… Surely they can’t expect another season

Comment by Martina – March 19, 2013 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They finished filming before the season premiered. They didn’t know how it would be rated so they couldn’t make it a series finale in case it was successful.

Comment by dude – March 19, 2013 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t think they had finished filming. Laz was showing all of them working just a month ago on Instagram.

Comment by tp – March 19, 2013 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shows like 2 BROKE GIRLS would see less ups and downs if they just ran consecutive NEW eps instead of repeat, repeat, new show, repeat, repeat, new show. JUST SAYING. it’s not rocket science!

Comment by NetworkIdiots – March 19, 2013 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree!!

Comment by Boiler – March 19, 2013 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. As much as I hate long breaks I’d rather see the networks have those rather than show one ep then two or three weeks of repeats as you said just to get to another new ep. You completely lose all momentum.

Comment by wrstlgirl – March 19, 2013 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They have to take breaks to fit 22 to 24 episodes in a 36 to 38 week television season.

Comment by Babar Suhail – March 19, 2013 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My DVR is smart enough to know the difference. It’s not like I watch anything live anymore.

Comment by Fletcher – March 19, 2013 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! I have absolutely no idea when its on. I just hope my pvr records them.

Comment by mia – March 19, 2013 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay Castle! It was a good episode so the ratings are well deserved.

Comment by Leigh – March 19, 2013 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In all fairness, Castle hit a high in viewers watching, but not in ratings. The ratings were actually down 4% from the last new episode. Of course these are just preliminary numbers and the could be adjusted up or down once the final numbers come in.

Comment by taliesin – March 19, 2013 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought this one was pretty boring. Even the you-think-you-have-it-all-figured-out-but-wait-you-don’t twist was… eh. But Castle and Beckett were charming as always, of course. I guess that’s why I keep watching.

Comment by Leah – March 19, 2013 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Soooooo! It’s a shame That the Carrie Diaries are so low in ratings! the show is pretty amusing and funny! and so real at some points! Seems a CW show can’t get good ratings if they start from Half Season!

Comment by Maki – March 19, 2013 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Bates Motel?

Comment by Gary Joseph Gonsalves Jr. – March 19, 2013 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Cable ratings, as a rule, come in much, sometimes very much, later, and are almost always covered upder separate cover.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – March 19, 2013 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thanks Matt! I’m anxious to see how it did.

Comment by Gary Joseph Gonsalves Jr. – March 19, 2013 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • This just in: A&E’s highest-rated original drama series debut (with 1.6 million viewers in the 18-49 demo). 3 million viewers overall (4.6 mil for the night).

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – March 19, 2013 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TV needs to eliminate reality tv on networks because it takes away from good shows to develop an audience. Deception also can’t breakthrough due to being against veteran shows so people dvr them or other streamed methods that don’t count in ratings.

Comment by diane – March 19, 2013 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 2 Broke Girls and HIMYM going down doesn’t surprise me. Too many repeats!

Comment by Babybop – March 19, 2013 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last year’s DWTS premier faced TV. Last night did not. ABC must be concerned with the dip and what will be coming in the next few weeks.

Comment by Chicago Dan – March 19, 2013 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As bummed as I am about Bones getting a 2.0, I’m more worried about next week. I really really hope it doesn’t fall below 2.0.

Comment by Sarah – March 19, 2013 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, it would suck, but it has already been renewed for Season 9 so the occasional low rating isn’t going to make a huge impact right now.

Comment by taliesin – March 19, 2013 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • exactly, it would be nice to have a 16M lead in too or any lead in. Bones always has to pull its own weight with no lead ins.

Comment by Katie – March 19, 2013 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • @Katie

I really wish they’d move it back to Thursday-preferably at 9 because if I remember correctly it did pretty well against Grey’s-but I honestly don’t think that’s going to happen.

Comment by Sarah – March 19, 2013 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Bones got adjusted up to a 2.1 :) …..the 8pm slot is going to be brutal on Mondays now plus particulary it gets hit by daylight savings too……..All in all steady rating for Bones though. IMO

Comment by amber – March 20, 2013 05:14 AM PDT
  • I’m keeping fingers and toes crossed that Deception is somehow miraculously renewed. Last night’s episode was amazing and season 2 would be even better!!

Comment by Meredith – March 19, 2013 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. DECEPTION is a very good show with an Excellent cast. 2 broke Girls is trash and DWTS is stale. I am not a “reality tv” person, so I think good shows are suffering for cheap bad reality shows.

Comment by Jasmine – March 19, 2013 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree. It’s certainly better than most of the other offerings from NBC.

Comment by Faster – March 19, 2013 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I watched every episode of “Deception” and loved it. Sorry it’s done.

Comment by Bob – March 21, 2013 10:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree as well. I think it took a little while to get going, but it got really good. Victor Garber is amazing. NBC should at least bring it back for a summer show or maybe something to air while their regular shows are on winter hiatus.

Comment by Mikael – March 20, 2013 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I turned last night’s episode of 2 Broke Girls off mid-episode and removed the series from our DVR recordings. As far as I’m concerned, the show has jumped the shark. I’m not surprised the ratings are dropping.

Comment by Hamish – March 19, 2013 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Last night’s episode definitely had a much harsher tone than usual, regardless of what the end intent was. It was just cruel at times, which the series is rarely intentionally trying to be cruel to the characters despite all the joking/picking on they do to each other.

Comment by Jake – March 19, 2013 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Deception is actually pretty good. I’m going to miss it.

Comment by Mick – March 19, 2013 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m hoping Deception finds a second season (maybe as a mid season fill in like this season?). The show picked up in the last couple of episodes.

Comment by sladewilson – March 19, 2013 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i’d also like a second season pick-up for deception. I love, love edward and julian :) the show is totally crazy, but its fun to talk about!

Comment by Bridget jones – March 19, 2013 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well here’s hoping Lisa Vanderpump stays in Dancing With the Stars for many weeks to come. I absolutely adore her. I love that they paired her with such a young hottie too. I figured she’d get like that Louie guy or something. I’m glad she got a young new thing. GO LISA! And when she loses, go Sean!

Comment by Mark – March 19, 2013 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bones down by 13% really, TVBTN says 9%. Your anti-Bones bias is showing again.

Comment by Katie – March 19, 2013 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And I quote: “Fox’s Bones (7.3 mil/2.0) was down 13 percent [IN TOTAL AUDIENCE] and two tenths [IN THE DEMO aka 9 PERCENT].”

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – March 19, 2013 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Cat ate your tongue now?
      If you payed any attention at all you’d notice that this site is anything but anti-Bones. I’ve never seen any article from this site nor any of the writers here bad-mouthing it. From where I stand I can see that Bones is in fact one of the most beloved shows here on TVLine. The fact that they also love other shows doesn’t mean that they hate Bones.

Comment by francisca – March 19, 2013 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yea for Castle which is the best show on TV. Always fun and entertaining with great writing and acting. Love this show so much.

Comment by Teri – March 19, 2013 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish Deception could return for a season 2 for at least the summer. They found a way to keep the show going and they left us with a cliff hanger

Comment by fernando rodriguez (@Fernanaberry) – March 19, 2013 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m still betting on HIMYM to build on their audience as the season nears a close – they’ve got potential to really hit a homerun in May – perhaps reaching all-time highs. HIMYM had a nice storyline last night. Watch the metamophasis of Robin – remarkable. She used to be that crazy girl slapping her hips and singing Bang-Bang-Bangity-Bang. No more – she’s growing up. I liked the fact that despite the ‘bad vibes’ of Barney’s fortress, she elects to hold onto it – a nice touch [ and thank goodness, I love that bachelor pad of Barney's. ;)]

BTW – did anyone catch the ‘safari adventure’ clip on the fake-window green-screen as Barney displayed the ‘view’ to potential real estate clients: “And here we have Paris, Safari Adventure, Rome, …” ? That safari adventure clip – very Barney!

Regarding 2Broke – my favorite character is Sophie – if they can keep her going, I’m happy. She reminds me of how Sue used to be on Glee, and how Michael once was on Office. Every time she’s on camera, something wierd and/or funny is coming.

Comment by Nero theTVFiddler – March 19, 2013 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Deception-1.2
    The Carrie Diaries-0.4

Comment by Leondre – March 19, 2013 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My Bad:

2 Broke Girls-2.8

Comment by Leondre – March 19, 2013 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you Leondre – good work. And look at that – best demo numbers last night for a scripted show – HIMYM 3.0. Very nice. :) That show will be golden for CBS come May.

Comment by Nero theTVFiddler – March 19, 2013 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post