The Voice Adds Wednesday Hour to Battle Idol's Top 3 Sing-Off, Expands Two Tuesday Outings

the voice season 4 judgesAs NBC’s The Voice inches closer to its Season 4 premiere on March 25, it’s making some scheduling changes — including one that will put it in the path of reality-TV’s reigning juggernaut.

While sticking to its Monday/Tuesday pattern, The Voice will on one Wednesday, May 8, go head-to-head for an hour against American Idol‘s Top 3 sing-off, with an episode that will unveil the NBC competition’s Top 12 contestants.

The Voice played a similar game of “chicken” last fall, adding a Wednesday episode to go up against The X Factor. NBC won that face-off (10.4 mil/3.7 rating vs. 7 mil/2.6) and earned the wrath of Simon Cowell, who called the move “nothing short of dirty tricks.”

Idol‘s two-night Season 12 finale airs May 15 and 16.

The Voice will also expand to two-hour telecasts on back-to-back Tuesdays, April 30 and May 7 (8/7c), during the Knockout Rounds and Live Playoffs weeks of the competition.

Excited to get a little extra Voice in your life? Encouraged to see the show have no fear about stepping in Idol‘s path? Sound off in the comments!

1. Tony says:

That’s a shocker, NBC overkilling the voice 2,3, maybe even 4 times every week…not.

• Danyelle says:

Maybe I read wrong, but this says its just for one week…….?

• Kristoffer says:

I don’t think it’s overkill… but that’s just my opinion. NBC knows that Idol is slowly dying so why not put them head to head during that 1st week and see what damage they can do. I do agree with you though that if it does well they may try it again until the Idol season is over.

• Stew says:

Well they’re doing it May 8, so the only time after that they could do it would be the next week, which would be Idol’s finale week.

• pn says:

Idol would have been smart to finish up their season on the 8th and 9th, to get out of The Voice’s way. Voice is still building in viewers ever since Usher and Shakira joined the show. And Idol’s formula of finishing up their season a week before Memorial Day is not what they’re doing this year.

• pn says:

I think that The Voice might even win that Wednesday night. They know that Idol’s ratings have fallen every week that season, so they might get another 13 to 14 million night for a 3rd night in a row and Idol gets its usual 11 million. Even new coaches Usher and Shakira have gotten a more stronger response than either Adam or Blake this season. NIcki I like on Idol, but Mariah Carey has been a letdown to me. But they could have done that a few weeks ago instead of when Idol is closing their season and more people watch it when 2 or 3 are left.

• pn says:

They should have kept it at 2 nights this week. Three nights is overkill (and competing against’s Idol’s first hour?). They’re better at the pace their at now. I think they’re doing that to tick off Idol, Seacrest, Nigel, Randy, Nicki and the judges. Hope it doesn’t lead to Ryan Seacrest punching rival host Carson Daly at a L.A. nightclub near the studios on Wednesday night because of that competing on the same hour.

2. scorpionglow says:

Here’s hoping this season isn’t a waste of my time. I already miss Christina & Cee Lo.

3. K. says:

I’ll watch The Voice because this year’s AI stinks and I’d rather look at Adam and Blake then old Nicki and Mariah!

• Diane says:

^ this

• Kevin says:

It makes me really wonder if it is because of the judges then the contestants why people watch the Voice? Who am I kidding? THAT is the reason. If Adam or Blake were to leave this show -it would be interesting how many people would actually stick with it.

4. B. says:

I’ll be watching THE VOICE!!

5. Larry says:

Typical network politics. No wonder people are gravitating towards cable more each season. Reality shows take way too much time of Broadcast television and is killing the competition while offering nothing in the long-run to the networks as far as syndication. We all lose in the end.

• pn says:

I think they have been like this since 2005 or so with the bloated 2 hour lengths of these competition type reality shows. That makes it harder for the comedies and dramas that need one of those hours to get their audiences too. But it’s cooled down a bit, the long running shows have slipped 10 to 20 percent in viewership. I think Idol’s best years were its first 4 years, then it’s been on and off since then. I think that cable networks like USA and TNT are doing well because they’re getting off the habits of showing old movies and sitcoms(a few do, but not too much) and doing original programming such as drama series. Don’t like A&E, DIscovery and History switching their former documentary fare that I liked before for reality shows, but that’s another topic. I think Idol’s same format has gotten a little dated even in an era of social media and Twitter, maybe 8 years out of date. They’re still used to the phone calling formula for people to vote for the singers to show fairness to the singers who are that good and who will win it.

6. Chicago Dan says:

NBC’s biggest mistake: If you’re going to do two cycles of TV, who not do them during the regular season? Several episodes are past the end of May sweeps. NBC really could’ve used the boost. Instead, 5th place in Feb sweeps and record low weeks in March.

• Chicago Dan says:

Oh, and I forgot to mention Simon’s snark about TV going against XF. How many times did AI add a third night or have “technical difficulties” and had to “suddenly” air unscheduled episodes?

7. mia says:

The Voice will have my eyeballs. But I am worried they’re going to kill it with it being on so much

8. The Voice is the one reality show I’m always hooked and I always dig those swivel chairs the coaches sits on and of course when they pushed the button to see if one of them wants to be on a team.

9. Billy says:

I’m gonna try out the voice this season, but I’m more anxious to know if Michael and Melinda are going to recap the episodes with reality check again :-)

10. Hugh says:

I hope Idol flattens them. It’s nothing short of mean spirited and dirty tricks, as Simon said. Seriously, I don’t know how The Voice has so much media buzz. It is the definition of the emperor’s new clothes. Their talent is never a patch on Idol’s.

• pn says:

Last fall was mild to me with the Voice/ X-Factor showdown because X doesn’t pull in as many viewers. This Voice/Idol showdown to me on May 8th is really dirty tricks and mean spirited as they want to challenge the ratings hit. Because Idol crushed the competition years ago, now the Voice wants to crush Idol in this one week stunt? Don’t like it at all.

11. DeeKayTee says:

I will miss Cee Lo this season but I am SO happy to have no Christina!!!!!!!!!