Girls Season 2 Finale Recap: 'No One Really Cares If I Get Cut With Glass'

girls-hbo-season-2-finale-lena-dunhamIf you haven’t seen the Season 2 finale of Girls — check yourself before you wreck yourself with spoilers. Everyone else, read on!

Welcome to the Season 2 finale of Girls — or as I like to think of it, the most horrifyingly awful ending to a regressive Hollywood rom-com that you never wanted to see.

Just last week, we saw caveman creep Adam sexually degrading his lovely girlfriend Natalia (Shiri Appleby), and yet before the visual of the, er, fruits of his handiwork could be scrubbed from our minds (and from Natalia’s chest), we’re now forced to swallow series creator Lena Dunham’s reimagining of this unredeemable character. Look! It’s Adam running through the streets of Brooklyn, shirtless and sweaty, music swelling like he’s Tom Hanks about to stumble upon a young Meg Ryan in a rainstorm, and coming to the rescue of our damsel protagonist in distress! And as if he’s not violent enough/Hannah’s not pathetic enough, he’s got to kick in her door, pull the dusty rose comforter from over her trembling form, and cradle her in his arms like a tiny baby (before they begin to kiss).

Jesus, Mary and Gloria Steinem, if this is the voice of a generation speaking, then it’s time for said voice to take a sabbatical.

Why am I so angry? Maybe because I’ve enjoyed so much of Girls‘ first two seasons — the comic horrors of Hannah and her friends navigating the sexual minefields of modern big-city dating, of trying to solidify their financial and professional futures in an economy that can’t pay them enough to cover rent and their student loans. At its best, Girls has been sharp and funny and unapologetic in its idea that young women can be messy and promiscuous and infuriating, but still have a core loyalty to their friends and a desire to make something of themselves, even if they don’t yet know what that something is.

But now, in the final two episodes of Season 2, we’ve discovered Hannah’s secret battle with obsessive compulsive disorder — a trifle strange that such a perpetual victim had never uttered a word about the condition in the show’s previous 18 episodes, no? — and suddenly the whole enterprise seems as ugly as one of Hannah’s ill-fitting rompers. It’s not just that Hannah is making a bad decision in needing to be resuced by a semi-stalkery, sexually malvelolent manchild. It’s that Lena Dunham is trying to sell us this fetid turn of events as a thing of beauty by wrapping it in a cheap, pink romcom bow. Perhaps just as bad, none of her female characters ever seem to have a chance to break away from being defined by the men in their lives — be it Marnie mooning over her suddenly monied ex or Shoshanna retreating from the older boyfriend who’s not ambitious enough or Hannah trying to garner our sympathies because, in her mid-20s, her “Daddy, being an adult is hard!” breakdowns don’t result in immediate financial and/or emotional bailouts. (Seriously, when was the last time Shoshanna said/did anything related to her classes or her career ambitions? You know this fiercely weird chick has a much richer inner life than worrying about Ray 24/7!) Of course, maybe Jessa is off finding her own fulfillment, but apparently that’s not interesting enough for TV.

Whew. Okay, rant over. Let’s recap the week’s proceedings:

* Ray, determined to quell Shoshanna’s fears about his lack of ambition, convinces his boss to give him a better title and more responsibility at Grumpy’s new Brooklyn Heights branch. Turns out, though, Shosh has more pressing concerns: “Sometimes I love you the way that, like, I feel sorry for a monkey. Like, they need so much help and they’re in such an ugly cage. You know what I mean?” Alas, the show’s best character reveals, she doesn’t want to be the only thing Ray loves/doesn’t hate. “Maybe I can real with your black soul better when I’m older,” she confesses, “but I can’t hadle it now.” Ray huffs that there’s a difference between negativity and critical thinking, but deep down, I think he knows better: He can’t even respect Shosh’s joy of going out to dinner! And thus, it’s splitsville for Girls‘ most delightfully wacky/winning duo — a sad, but ultimately inevitable/realistic turn of events. (Bee tee dubs, j’adore Shosh’s butterfly dress!)

* Marnie, at brunch with Charlie (after he’d rigorously made a breakfast out of her — sorry if that’s crude — it’s just not the kind of scene about which one can be all that polite) starts romanticizing their revisited connection: “We have all these experiences so we can settle down,” she coos, but then misinterprets his silence, causes a loud scene and storms off. When he chases her down on the sidewalk and she admits her goal in life is to make him nighttime snacks, have his “little brown babies” and eventually watch him die, he tears up and tells her it’s all he’s ever wanted to hear. “I love you: Maybe I’m an idiot for it, but I always have.” Does this mean happily ever after? Or is Marnie merely/temporarily settling for an idea of domestic bliss because she can’t really figure out what she wants to do for a living? Surely girlfriend has some goals that haven’t been completely subsumbed by this sudden need to make Charlie the center of her universe. I’m pretty sure of it, or at least rooting for it.

* And finally, we come to Adam and Hannah. In the episode’s best scene, Natalia — somehow forgiving last week’s “get on all fours” debacle — winds up back in bed with Adam. When she expresses her pleasure at what he’s doing, he takes a turn for the awful (as usual): “You’re a dirty whore and you love my c**k,” he grunts, to which Natalia replies, “No, I can like your c**k, and not be a whore. Do you understand?” (A hearty round of applause for a female Girls‘ character confidently expressing herself! Maybe Natalia can step in and replace MIA Jessa as a core pal in Season 3?)

Meanwhile, Hannah is mired in an OCD nightmare and a ringing in her ears from last episode Q-tip incident that has her book editor threatening to sue if she doesn’t produce her unsubmitted pages. When Hannah calls her dad and asks for money to “restore a little freedom to my creative process,” he wishes aloud he hadn’t let her fake sick and skip school so often as a girl. (The night’s funniest line: Hannah declaring did indeed diagonse her own scarlet feverfrom reading Louisa May Alcott.) Marnie swings by to visit her former roomie, but Hannah (eating Cool Whip from the tub) hides behind her bed and pretends she’s not home, as Marnie enters, sees a rather telling line typed on Hannah’s screen (“A friendship between college girls is grander and more dramatic than any romance”) and then exits while stealing/reclaiming a candleholder.

Hannah then proceeds to cut her own bangs to match those of Oscar nominee Carey Mulligan, and winds up turning to drug-addict downstairs neighbor Laird to finish the job she’d been botching. When he finishes a (decent) haircut, Hannah unloads how difficult she’s finding adulthood, noting that when she was a child and she’d broken something, her dad used to sweep in and clean it up so she didn’t get hurt. Now, “No one really cares if I get cut with glass,” she pouts, and while I know it’s supposed to make me feel sorry for her, all I want to do is yell, “Grow the f*** up!” When Hannah collapses in an OCD fit, then misinterprets Laird’s concern for a sexual advance, he calls her “the most self-involved, presumptuous person I have ever met.” She confirms his suspicions with this apology: “I didn’t think of you as a person and I understand now that was wrong.”

Unable to reach Jessa and unwilling to call “anorexic” Marnie or Shosh, Hannah FaceTimes Adam, feigns being okay, then finally admits she’s “really, really scared.” This appears to be a total turn-on for Adam — the idea that he can be the rescuer rather than an equal in a relationship with a fully functioning woman who’s able to express her wants and needs — and he sprints to the subway without bothering to put on a shirt, rushes to Hannah’s apartment and “saves the day” (as described in the intro to this recap).

Hannah (with hospital tag still on her wrist): You’re here.
Adam: I was always here.

Me? I’m not sure I’ll be here next season. Come on, Lena Dunham. You can do better.

What did you think of the Season 2 finale of Girls? Do you share my anger and irritation, or did I somehow miss the point? Sound off in the comments, and for all my TV recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Kristy says:

What was the song playing when Adam ran down the street to Hannah? Not Fun (Sight of the Sun) that played during credits, but the one playing while he’s actually running?

2. Kc says:

I get that everyone’s upset about Adams actions last week in bed, but don’t you think he is taking his frustrations out her, he is still hooked on Hannah and he can’t make her Be with or want him so he took control and used Natalia. I’m not saying its right or even cool, but usually people take their anger out on others, Natalia is a substitute for Adam she isn’t real and she doesn’t have feelings as far as he is concerned, she is a means to an end.

As dysfunctional as Adam and Hannah’s relationship is she challenged him and made him feel safe, he isn’t willing to let that go. And I don’t really think he is a stalker, most people have done wacky things immediately following a breakup. And showing up at her apartment once is probably something everyone has done to an ex at one time or another. Everyone is taking Hannah’s overreaction to his presence as fact and not like some contrived story she concocted in her head. Let’s look at how Marnie has been chasing Charlie last few episodes no real difference between her and Adam. As for Adam running through streets to get to Hannah, that is over the top and 100% Adam, always big sweeping gestures and reactions, he isn’t a subtle person.

I just think that everyone needs to lay off Adam I think he has remained one of the most consistent characters. Marnie is season 1 Hannah, needy and looking for a man to want her.

3. Jen says:

Just here to say I almost completely DISAGREE with your review, Michael, and I agree with the posters who say this is all about 20 somethings making mistakes while searching for something stable in their lives, like MAYBE they had with their parents while growing up. When they are going through misadventures it’s realistic to fall back on something they THOUGHT was real and good in their lives. This isn’t about heros and happy endings, but it is about young people who still want to believe in them.
    I enjoyed this finale. Growing up is a process of both bad decisions and enlightenment. I’ll certainly be back next season to see where these girls go next.

4. John says:

This morning I woke up and there were bodies all over my street. It was awful! I asked my neighbor what happened and he said the hipster bandwagon had driven through last night and all of the Girls fans were jumping and falling off.

5. Ruby says:

The entire point of this show is that the characters are FLAWED. If you don’t *get* that, then you shouldn’t be reviewing it. Sorry it didn’t end up puppies and rainbows for you, but if that’s what you want, you should go back to watching children’s cartoons.

6. Waitingsux says:

This show sucks. It’s not a voice for my generation, it just portrays a bunch of pathetic girls whose lives center around wierd dudes.

Lena Dunham is narcissistic and seems to be using this show as a platform to have sex scenes with hot guys. She spends more time on Hannah than any other character. I honestly hate all the characters. None of my friends are like this, none if the girls I know are that sad and pathetic. I mean seriously, get some self worth for gods sake.

Adam is disgusting and is by no means a hero. He disgusts me and that last Romcom scene was laughable.

Gross. I hope HBO cancels this trash.

7. Ben says:

I appreciate that this show is willing to go where few others would dream of going. I thought the first two episodes of season 2 were the best of the entire series so far; however, starting with the Patrick Wilson episode, the quality of this season (in terms of writing, not acting) quickly went down, in my opinion. I was hoping Jessa would resurface this season. I’m guessing the actress who plays Jessa is out on maternity leave.

• Frank Poor says:

Wow. That’s precisely the episode when I thought the series leaped forward from realism at its quirkiest to realism at its richest, most complex and darkest. The writing really got layered at Patrick Wilson’s episode, which became exhausting to watch but so rewarding.

8. Diana says:

Could not agree more with this review, I’ve never felt so estranged from a series that I cared so much about!

9. CJM says:

It was a great finale. You seem to have missed the point, in your cynical bitterness, that sometimes people take missteps to get to where they’re going. It doesn’t mean Marnie and Charlie are “together forever,” it means she’s turned on by his success and money and sees that as a way to security in her uncertainty. Shoshanna is experimenting, which is perfectly normal. And Hanna and Adam? They are perfect together in their respective weirdness, which they both fully accept in one another. And at the end of the day, isn’t that what true love is?

10. rizzo51 says:

I wonder how all the generations of 20-somethings who preceded Hannah and her pathetic friends ever managed to survive??!! I spent my 20s in NYC and no one I knew — NO ONE –was as screwed up as this crew. This show is a train wreck masquerading as generational insight. It’s shockingly overrated; the absurdity of these characters is beyond comprehension. It seems specifically designed to garner as many gasps as possible just because it’s on HBO! Honestly, people, step back from the edge and take a good, hard look at this series — the characters, the situations, the writing — and you’ll see it for the piece of crap that it is. You’re giving up hours of your life that you’ll never get back for nothing!!

• Girls_Sucks says:

Yes!!!!!! You are exactly right!!!

• Theschu says:

Trusting your opinion over mine I immediately rewatched both seasons again, wasting even more time and then physically took one step back from my ipad and looked really hard at the wall. I realized that my experience of loving the show and the characters and appreciating Lena and Judd for being willing to do a show that invites interesting conversation and thought was wrong all along. Thank you so much for teaching me how to really view the show and to see it for what it is. Oh well. One man’s trash…

11. The King says:

The only way this dreck made any sense is if that was Hannah’s book we were watching, not her “real” life–kind of like “Adaptation,” if you remember that movie. Otherwise, Hannah and the others lost all their cred in that gooey Hollywood ending. Very disappointing.

12. Lee says:

Can I PLEASE edit your reviews?

13. Terry says:

Not sure how you could call this a comedy. Enjoyed the first season, but this one has been a train wreck!

14. Brigette says:

I’m really confused by this scathing review. TV critics always want to look at characters in this black and white way and get so upset when they are portrayed as real people. REAL people are usually a mixture of awesome and screwed up. Sometimes Adam is a sick jerk; sometimes he’s a loving person. That’s real. Dunham wasn’t saying that we are suddenly supposed to love everything about Adam and what he stands for, she was just showing different sides of people and relationships. Is that confusing to you??? And, BTW, Hannah’s OCD was eluded to before, I think in the episode where Marnie moved out? And given her character, there’s nothing left field about it– she’s clearly has many issues.

15. Jessica T. says:

I’m disappointed in you, Michael. Usually you are pretty open and knowledgeable about people’s sexual predilections. It was pretty obvious to me that Adam is into BDSM. Obviously, he prefers to be dominant. Just because someone takes on the persona of a whore-maker, misogynist ass in the bedroom does not make him one in real life. I think Adam offers a refreshing, honest look at kinks and fetishes. Maybe you should weigh in with Dan Savage on this topic. Maybe Natalia needs read “Savage Love” and learn to be a bit more “GGG”–good, giving, and game.

16. Katie says:

This show has always been garbage; a Sex and the City 2.0 about women being defined by the men in their lives. I respect Lena Dunham for breaking stereotypes on a visual level but on an emotional level its more of the same. As an actual 20-something single female living in New York City I’ve never related to this story on any level.

• theschu says:

Is the show garbage because you don’t relate to it? I think they’re two different things.

• edith says:

Agreed. My problem with this show is that there is nothing original about the writing. When the hackneyed nature of it shows up too clearly, the hipster fans just say “It’s supposed to be ironic.” I have no problem with any aspects of life being portrayed on screen, but I won’t call something “art” unless the person who makes it has a handle on what he/she is doing. And Lena Dunham doesn’t. She doesn’t know whether she’s being ironic or not. She doesn’t know the difference between real-life situations and Hannah’s fantasies. How can she when she’s so young herself and she lives the same fake-bohemian life that her characters do? That’s why after every episode half the commenters think the whole thing was ironic and the other half think it was a sincere celebration of being twenty-something.

17. JW says:

You loved the scene where Adams girlfriend is giving him explicit details as to what exactly she likes in bed, almost giving him orders. If it were reversed and the male was telling the female exactly what to do in the same manner, would you have loved the scene as much? Or are men never supposed to take charge?

Last week, Adam was in the wrong, he shouldn’t have done what he did. However, that doesn’t mean what he did was wrong based on the actions alone, it was wrong because it wasn’t consensually discussed and agreed upon beforehand. There is nothing wrong with BDSM and kinky sex, as long as both parties are into what is happening.

18. Robin says:

I have to admit, when my life has gotten messy, I turn to people who are also a mess – like horrible ex-boyfriends. I really felt for Hannah.

19. Phillip says:

That was pretty harsh, Michael. This was a very, well made season finale. Loved every second of it.

20. Rylee Murray says:

Very strong dislike. Stopped watching half way thru the season.

21. Sarabi says:

That scene with Adam running to Hannah was SO clichéd! I don’t know if that was supposed to be a parody of rom-com endings or if it was done on purpose.

22. jenna walsh says:

let’s face it. hannah needed rescuing. her parents and her friends had virtually abandoned her. and who rushes in? the boy least likely to rescue anyone. adam. it was so passionate. because i wanted to rescue hannah and couldn’t. don’t understand the feminist backlash on this site. loved season 2. loved the finale.

23. alex says:

I think you ( the author ) are a bit harsh in your finale recap, but, hey, anyone express his view on “Girls”. First, Adam maybe expressed ( as well ) his angry for being out of his soul with the polite-doing Nathalia, that is why is he calling Iphone “Siri”-> Shiri!?!? No joke, Shiri as real name of his actress-girlfriend. Charlie maybe realizes his full potential, at least when he finally crushes upon most under-valued proposing of engagement for life by Marnie ( “love you, make nught- snack …and i watch you die”… brrr!!! I’ll sleep with an eye open and fridge locked). Seriously i don’t understand what type Lena want Ray of. Is he being the next successful Charlie? Is he going to crush with Jessa in next season or whatelse? Actually it was really really awkkward seeing him sitting on a couch with a cushion over his womb ( absolute quivering !! ). Finally the “Girls”: Hannah is not going anyway but back on her track by herself ( to ocd, to high school memory, to lines “grander than friendship sounds like 1 season twitting episode ending… and back to Adam, “stalker ex-boyfriend”, bacck to short haircut??? ), but she really has to think about being sued for retracting her words on finishing the book he dealt. 3 downs for her vanishing form Marnie’s view ( what height is her bedroom?? ). Marnie, she finally had control over one think, guess what.. Charlie, again. After a disaster season, she’s going to be more cautious than herself back, or married Jessa, last chance for Charlie at brunch, but also last ring for her. Who can blame anxious Hanna for hiding when Marnie shows up at her apartment at her maximum of happiness ( guess what: she maybe wants to ask her for borrowing candlebar to party with Charlie, hmmm, and smile with compassion to Hannah “Friendship line” typed. Arrogant back again when she gets a bit of good life ). Shosh- Shoshanna, i agree: a puzzle, more an enigmist, maybe i can display herphrase on hor and vert to make them sense. till the end so hard with Ray, who deserves it, but guess what: Ray thinks she could be with ” white blonde boy” to which she replies horrified ” you know i’m not” and end in a bar kissing.. a white, blonde boy. Time to make puzzle experience. Erratic. Then Jessa.. jessa who? No, seriously, jessa is on a special kind of trip, not anymore around the world, but within her feeling, trying very very hard to catch up with her father. I admit that was the best part of the final, if Lena had showed it. But she didn’t. I expect very much form her next season. Bye until then.

24. theschu says:

I think there’s more messed up people commenting and trashing the characters than there are on this show.

25. alex says:

sorry for your lacking of humour sense. Anyway it’s about “girls”, not the commenters.. do you get that?

26. Patrick Maloney says:

Does anyone know if HBO aired their Image prome, in which they usually promote their tv line up to a song, either before or after Girls? My DVR didn’t pick up anything that aired before or after the show

27. Emma says:

I agreed with everything you said. What the hell just happened? Wasn’t this everything the show stood against? Majorly disappointing.

28. Tom says:

Lena Dunham is very talented, but I think her ego really got in the way of this season. She stumbles upon a good-looking doctor, and he immediately falls for her. Adam has a gorgeous new girlfriend, but of course that doesn’t work out and he heads right back to Hannah. If she focused more on interesting storylines and less on how the entire world is centered around her, this season would have been much more entertaining–and judging by the comments, less poorly received. The show is “Girls”, not “Hannah.” I agree with Mr. Slezak, Lena–I probably won’t be back next year.

29. helena says:

I did like the finale episode. All this season was so depressing, it remind me very thruthfully of my 20’s, which I half spent in some kind of breakdown.
    Regarding the couples, I know some marnie and charlie couples who are in their 40’s and still together (a few are about to divorce after 20 odd years thought) . Security and familiarity are very appealing for a lot of people.
    How much Hannah likes Adam? I am not sure, I am thinking that she is so scared or unable to function by herself that she would accept anyone who can cope with her and half listen to her. That s also a pretty common ground for some long term relationships.

I like the way this season really shows how hard reality hits you when you re young and unprepared. But I wont classify it as a comedy.

30. larrylootsteen says:

I think for me that scene with Adam running was hysterical. I mean I was on the floor. I didn’t take the whole ‘needy woman’ thing from it at all. And the kicking in the door bit? Come on. This was the most obvious play at the weak woman/strong man thing and I laughed. This is a comedy after all. It was meant to be funny and it was. When he said ‘I’m coming to you’ all I could hear was Superman music in my head. It was an awesome and brilliantly funny moment with a side of poignant. And if you want to go all serious about it, man or woman, do we not all have those weak moments where we really wish someone would take care of us? Why is it wrong to express that? We, like these characters, are all flawed.

• Katharine says:

Love what you’re saying larrylootsteen -a lot of these posts are taking themselves ssssso seriously. Someone said he was looking for a reason to stop watching. Is he daft? Just don’t watch it if you hate it. As far as I’m concerned one of Lena Dunham’s great strengths (and there are many) is that her show is SO not like Sex in the City THANK GOD.

31. Britta Unfiltered says:

Woah, rough review there. I had to think about the episode for awhile before coming to a decision on it, but I did like it. And maybe that’s because I related so much to Hannah’s childness and inability to grow. And I have a feeling people would say the same cruel things about me that are said on comment boards about Hannah. So I get that girl. I totally get her.
    There was this moment from the second to last episode that kept running through my mind when I was watching the finale…it was the scene at the end where Hannah started jabbing the Q-tip in her good ear. When I first watched it, all I could think was, “Well, that’s a pretty stupid thing to do.” And I didn’t quite get it. Then as the finale unfolded, and they got to that last scene where she got back together with Adam, it finally all clicked. Hannah doesn’t learn from her mistakes. I think that is the moral of the season is that some people will just keep repeating the same mistakes over and over again. I’m not sure Lena Dunham was trying shove it down our throats as being some pretty rom-com. I think she was just showing us that messed up people are drawn to each other, and it’s very difficult to get out of those kinds of relationships. Same with Marnie. She’s a mistake-repeater with her ex. Jessa, another mistake-repeater, has once again run away from home and run away from her problems. Shoshanna…okay, I admit I’m not entirely sure what’s going on there. Maybe just that despite her believing she doesn’t define herself through men, she really does?
    I think Lena Dunham was doing some experimentation this season, trying to decide what worked best for her and the show. It wasn’t all perfect, but she had some very good episodes in there.
    My final thought. Marnie’s line “I want to have your brown babies” really threw me. This is going to sound really naive, but is her boyfriend not white? I don’t see race. People tell me I’m white, and I believe them because I watch a lot of Dancing with the Stars.

• Katharine says:

The thing with the q-tip in the other ear was related to OCD and needing to balance things up – to have symmetry and order, even of a punctured pair of eardrums. That is what that was about. Not failing to learn from mistakes.

32. 20'sSomethingGuy says:

Having liked the first season of Girls, I had high expectations for season 2 as a comedy. About halfway through this season I could not take this show seriously anymore. I understand that some/most of the issues that are presented did and do happen all the time. My beef, however, comes from the fact that this show tried so hard to be a dramedy and diluted into a soap opera of which character has the worst life. What do we really watch tv shows and movies for if not to transcend reality? Personally, I do not want to continue to watch a show which now prefers to shovel sadness and misery on me, week after week. Life is hard enough. We know this because we live it everyday. Do we really need to watch that as entertainment?

• theschu says:

Is life really that hard everyday? Not to sound condescending but if you have the experience that life is hard EVERYDAY then perhaps it’s time to change some things. I can respect the idea that you don’t want to continue watching the show because you find the stories and characters too depressing. To each his own. But to say that tv shows and movies only serve one purpose – to transcend reality – is kind of narrow in my view. Some people watch tv and movies to escape reality and be entertained and some people watch to get a glimpse into the realities of life and humanity. That’s why we have so many viewing options (channels, websites, genres, etc). Personally I think GIRLS gives us both. It can be absurd and funny and simply entertaining and it can also be serious and thoughtful and sad. Often in the same episode.

33. TBrock says:

Hannah actually did reference her OCD in the season 1 finale during her fight with Marnie. Also important to note that OCD flares up during times of extreme stress; she could have gone for years without experiencing OCD “episodes”, therefore making previous mention of it irrelevant.
    The anti-feminist accusations are absurd and offensive and take so much meaning away. We’ve see the female characters take the reigns in their relationships thus far; why is it so terrible that they show vulnerabilities, too? Not long ago I was a single, female, 20-something living in NYC, and I can relate to nearly everything these characters experience. It’s scary and thrilling and lonely and romantic all at once. And sometimes we break, men and women alike, and we need someone to help us through.
    I think this epi showed the versatility and resilience of the female characters, and their willingness to accept and appreciate love when they need it most. I admire and appreciate Ms. Dunham for showing us that vulnerability is not a weakness we should be afraid of; it’s something we should acknowledge and know when to embrace.

• Julia says:

well put. this felt like a very judgmental article and if anything, i think it’s proved that this show can only be appreciated on a shallow level… unless you are a woman. for women, it has had an impact. seeing a more accurate and compelling version of the 26-year-old lifestyle i’m familiar with has made me feel less alone and more empowered. not that i don’t think men can have genuine, well articulated feelings about feminism, but one thing i really don’t need is a man cattily “ranting” his gross misinterpretation of the most ideologically feminist program i’ve seen on tv in my lifetime. love that you threw in an easy shout out to ms. steinam for good measure but here’s my feeling on currently relevant american feminism: there is room for more than one revolutionary at a time and a huge issue that i’d like to see addressed is the backwards ass double standard to which feminine sexuality has been subjected. men have people bending over backwards to defend their animal instincts and understand their sexual proclivities. women don’t get the luxury of mass advocacy because the public cannot comfortably discuss the evolution of female sexuality and so, they refuse to. instead they choose to perpetuate a fantasy where little girls stay little girls until they’re married (if they don’t, they are automatically troubled) and don’t express their honest feelings about sex because they are too busy trying to fight for more important things like equal salaries and harsher rape sentences. i’m not belittling these goals but i am saying that since lena dunham isn’t running for congress any time soon, this is the best thing she can do for women and i appreciate that she’s doing her part. let’s give her a pass for having the balls to put reality on television. especially if the only thing you’ve done to support the collective feminist cause is a blog post.

34. Caitlyn says:

I for one, LOVE girls and everything that Lena Dunham represents. I can relate to her on every level and even sometimes marnie and sosh too. The season finale definitely made me tear up. I loved it.

35. Genevieve says:

sounds frakkin awful.

36. I don’t really treatment how or when i get the Letters in the Mail. Every time it arrives, it feels like a letter should be. It’s suddenly there in my mail box an individual day. A pleasant, tangible surprise. I’m for you doing whatever you want when you send it. Mix it up for that people who help get it sent out. Include crumbs from your lunch. Coffee stains. Whatever. Keep the tedious naturel of getting letters out to a minimum by doing whatever you feel like that day. The arrival of your letter and the words in the author inside are what matters. Personally, what I like finest about The Rumpus is that I never ever understand what I’ll read that day. Or if there isn’t really one which day, maybe it’s because Stephen couldn’t locate anything to say or there was way too much heading on.

37. Jesse says:

Uh you are failing to listen to the characters as a real friend should. Hannah very clearly talked about having to masturbate 8 times every night and cry hereself to sleep. That was a scream at ocd and insite into the for lack of a better word yuckiness she felt in her disease. On the other hand maybe it takes a crazy person to spot a crazy person so I am happy that you are enjoying your normal life. If the darkness is freaking you out let go or quit watching cause you are obviously not in a place to ever really grasp this show. Toodles

38. Britt says:

Caridin has to apparently crouch and concentrate to maintain control of his.

The Winchester brothers have created quite a stir ever since they
    started hunting supernatural monsters. How is this bad habit or group of bad habits affecting you.