Ratings: As Several Shows Hit Lows, Parks and Rec Perks Up and Beast Holds Steady

Get More: News, Ratings

Parks and Recreation - Season 5The legendary Daylight Savings Effect — wherein families ostensibly spend time outside throwing around a Frisbee versus plopping in front of the telly — seemed to really kick in this Thursday evening, knocking down many shows, some to all-time lows.

Community, for one, hit a series low in the demo, dropping  33 percent to a 1.0. Parks and Recreation, however, led out of that with a 1.6, rising two tenths from its last fresh eppy. The Office‘s aborted planted spin-off pilot for The Farm (1.9) then ticked down a tenth. 1600 Penn (2.3 mil/1.0) ticked up.

RELATED | TVLine’s 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled?

Over on CBS, The Big Bang Theory (15.71/4.5) led the night in audience and the demo, while dropping 11 and 18 percent week-to-week. Leading out of that, Two and a Half Men (12.4 mil/3.3) fell 8 and 15 percent, hitting a series low. Person of Interest  (14.6 mil/2.9) ticked up a tenth, while Elementary (11.5 mil/2.4) added a few viewers.

RELATED | American Idol Top 10 Results Recap: Dude, Where’s My Star?

Fox’s American Idol (11.6 mil/3.0) was down 11 and 17 percent (hitting an all-time low for a regularly scheduled outing), and Glee (5.5 mil/2.0) fell 17 percent.

RELATED | Glee Recap: He’s Been Telling Lies

Grey’s Anatomy (8 mil/2.6) dropped 9 and 16 percent, hitting an all-time demo low.

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Recap: Who’s the Boss?

The CW’s Vampire Diaries (2.5 mil/1.1) was down 14 percent and two tenths, yet Beauty and the Beast held steady with 1.55 mil/0.5.

RELATED | The Vampire Diaries Recap: Elena Cheers Up

NOTE: Many of the above numbers are subject to adjustment due to college hoops preemptions, this, that and the other thing. Any world-changing, life-alerting adjustments will be denoted on Friday evening, unless my Scrabble game with the sons runs late.

Want scoop on any of the above shows? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

Comments (51)

• TVD wasn’t airing in many areas because of being preempted by local ball games…

Comment by WayneInNYC – March 15, 2013 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ehh, I don’t think you missed much if you didn’t get to see it. Elena became the worst possible version of her vampire self. I really enjoyed the TBBT episode, it was more emotional than usual but Sheldon was hilarious (as usual). Grey’s was also very good I thought. Man do those writers know how to tug at your heart strings with some cases (the ALS guy and April having to rip his mother off his dead body).

Comment by Tamera – March 15, 2013 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I broke up with TVD last night. I might peek in for the finale’ just to see if anything in the story line changes.

Comment by wrstlgirl – March 15, 2013 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • TVD used to be must watch TV for me… but this season has been awful!!! I no longer watch live.

Comment by Elyse – March 15, 2013 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • no matter how much I pray for the numbers to go up they just stay the same for BATB! This is the only show I watch that hasn’t been renewed yet and it’s my favorite. I am trying to have hope but man it is not looking good. I wish they would move it to tuesdays I think its would do so much better.

Comment by Tina – March 15, 2013 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t watch BATB but I’m surprised that it doesn’t do better with TVD as it’s lead in. I don’t think the CW would move it, I think they like the supernatural-ish pairing of TVD and BATB. Regardless, I would be surprised if the CW doesn’t renew BATB. It has been very steady throughout it’s entire run (although so did The Secret Circle). Fingers crossed CW renews that and Hart of Dixie (one of my favs on CW).

Comment by Tamera – March 15, 2013 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If CW picks up the originals I’m pretty sure they’ll move BatB. They’ll want to couple TVD and Originals.

Comment by Amanda – March 15, 2013 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Even with pre emption batb stays steady

Comment by Shawn Brumell – March 15, 2013 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am not watching Grey’s because I do not care for the doctors buying a hospital storyline, season 9 has been a huge disappointment it reminds me why most series don’t go past 8 seasons, cause the writers have run out of ideas or continue not to choose to finally show us more of the docs pesonal lives.

Comment by Olivia – March 15, 2013 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am loving the “doctors buying the hospital” storyline on Grey’s!! I think this has been my favorite season since the George and Izzy years! I have been emotionally invested in every episode this season!!! I even like the new interns!

Comment by Lindsey – March 15, 2013 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Lindsay, I agree. However, I almost gave up last year with the plane crash. Seriously, these doctors have the worst luck! If this were real life, they would flee Seattle Grace in a heartbeat for fear of imminent death! I do think the docs buying the hospital is a good idea as it opens up new storylines. IMHO.

Comment by Mel – March 15, 2013 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree to a point, but I would never use that many exclamation points. Any story that moves Jesse Williams to the forefront is a good story.

Comment by Martoukian – March 15, 2013 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Greys has been AMAZING this season IMO. This story has been great and you have to give Shonda and the writers some credit because they keep bringing it each week :)

Comment by Ashley – March 15, 2013 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I agree Greys has been fantastic!

Comment by sarah – March 15, 2013 01:17 PM PDT
          • I have stuck with Grey’s since the start and although i prefer the original MAGIC anyday, the new interns and season 9 on the whole have been quite good!

Comment by Rivera – March 18, 2013 09:29 AM PDT
  • Am I the only person that actually enjoyed the potential of The Farm? Thought it would have been fun for a few years.

Comment by Kevin – March 15, 2013 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That office esposide made me so excited for “the farm” not what I expected! I thought it was ganna be dumb bt it looks promising!

Comment by vane – March 15, 2013 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s already been decided it isn’t going to series

Comment by powerturtle90sdudemon – March 15, 2013 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • no Greys on my tv yesterday because of basketball :(

Comment by ted – March 15, 2013 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved Beauty and the Beast last night. What an amzing episode. Cat standing by her man like she did? Vincent gaining some control and overcoming his fears with Cat? The new addition of Sandhil aka Gabe shaking things up? Awesome. This show has such a knack for keeping the epic love story real while spinning a tight plot. I sincerely hope there will be a second season. How come it doens’t have higher raitings? Mystery….

Comment by Kali – March 15, 2013 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Grey’s was not aired until 1:05 AM this Friday morning here in Wisconsin due to high school basketball state championship. I think I was the only Wisconsinite that watched Grey’s live as it was airing on TV. That’s why there’s a huge dip I guess. I’m not surprised if all prime time and daytime shows on ABC network for these 3 days all dip in ratings cuz of the high school basketball championship. Just like last week when all ABC network programming was pushed up or pre-empted for thi s game, the same thing is happening again this week.

Comment by Chris – March 15, 2013 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BATB was great last night :-)

Comment by wrstlgirl – March 15, 2013 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was hoping Beauty & the Beast would do better than .5. And since there were apparently a lot of preemptions…it will probably get adjusted down even further. If it hits a .4 even once IMO it’s automatic cancel … no season 2. I really hope I’m wrong because Jay Ryan NEEDS to stay on my TV.

Comment by Renee – March 15, 2013 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would not consider constantly losing over half of it’s lead in demo “holding steady”. Beauty and the beast’s ratings suck no matter how you look at them.

Comment by Heidi – March 15, 2013 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not sure what dictionary you are operating off of, but here in Ratingsland, “holding steady” means it didn’t fall or rise week-to-week.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – March 15, 2013 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hey man did you delete my comment about grey being 2.6/8 mil not 1.6???

Comment by Para – March 15, 2013 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The typo was almost-instantly fixed. Thank you for the note.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – March 15, 2013 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Why didn’t greys broadcast on my TV yesterday was it because of the Basketball?

Comment by Chris – March 15, 2013 09:57 AM PDT
  • not sure you can blame DAYLIGHT SAVINGS
    was unseasonably cold here on EAST COAST — people were in

I, for one, skipped network TV last nite to watch the WORLD BASEBALL CLASSIC on MLBN — would be nice to hear a ratings report on THAT

Comment by alternativeviweing – March 15, 2013 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I couldn’t watch anything on The CW or Person of Interest because of the ACC and the SEC tourneys. The local CW channel did this earlier with the SEC and we are ACC state here in NC with no team in the SEC. And the station got flooded with complaints. At least with CBS we knew it would be pre-empted and didn’t mind because they are showing it on Saturday.

Comment by ACC Girl – March 15, 2013 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah same here. Beauty and the Beast didn’t air last night on CW 11 because Mizzou is in the SEC. I was super pissed because we all want BatB renewed for season 2 and that is not likely to happen if they keep airing college games instead. CW needs to renew BatB ASAP.

Comment by Zehriic – March 15, 2013 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Those basketball games probably over-inflated the BatB numbers for last night. Very little chance it gets renewed.

Comment by Sg. Grant – March 15, 2013 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I really hope that won’t be the case. I am truly addicted. I think it deserves a second chance. If people see that its been renewed for another season maybe they will give it a shot. It really is a great show.

Comment by Zehriic – March 15, 2013 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m surprised to see GA and TBBT drop. It’s shame, too. I though both episodes were great.

Comment by Ash – March 15, 2013 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think it because of the basketball because 5 state didn’t broadcast Greys yesterday many angry people on Twitter yesterday :(

Comment by Brian – March 15, 2013 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very disappointing to see Community’s demo drop. At this rate, it isn’t hard to imagine it being cancelled. But at least I know that, if it comes to making a decision between keeping Community or 1600 Penn, our beloved show will make it one step closer to six seasons and a movie.

Comment by Eric – March 15, 2013 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Big Bang Theory still kicking butt! What other show could drop 18% and still have higher ratings than ANY other show on broadcast TV.

Comment by JJ – March 15, 2013 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Big Bang Theory did not come on til 3:07AM where I am and Two and a Half Men, Person of Interest, and Elementary don’t air until Sunday morning starting at 1:37AM.

Comment by MJ – March 15, 2013 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The race for renewal between Whitney, Community and Go On is still on. I personally think NBC should stick with Whitney and Community, which are both great shows, but Community has proven to be very unstable every thursday, even when there’s no new-BBT competition. Maybe NBC should have moved Community to the Guys With Kids timeslot instead of Whitney repeats.

Comment by luisfernandogf – March 15, 2013 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Community’s wild swings proves Neilsen doesn’t work.

Comment by JJ – March 15, 2013 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • that is a shame about community, easily the best episode of an already pretty good season and it has the lowest ratings, makes no sense.

Comment by Alan – March 15, 2013 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll be “shocked” if Beauty and the Beast gets renewed for a second season.

Comment by Tran – March 15, 2013 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Scandal was a repeat so there was nothing I was interested in watching.

Comment by Nicole – March 15, 2013 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Vampire Diaries still is one of the CW’s highest rated shows! I still look forward to it!

Comment by sarah – March 15, 2013 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is odd that Community’s episode this week was its best so far and it had less viewers. I guess I’m the only person who doesn’t watch The Big Bang Theory.

Comment by davey – March 15, 2013 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post