Pilot News: James Lafferty, Sean Astin, 90210 Fave, Parenthood Alum Among Latest Castings

Pilots_Lafferty_AstinA onetime One Tree Hill resident, a beloved Hobbit, a Parenthood babymaker and a 90210 fave are among the latest actors to book pilots.

RELATED | Pilots 2013: Your Guide to This Fall’s (Possible) Newcomers and Who’s Starring In Them

Per our sister site Deadline….

* Tree Hill alum James Lafferty has joined NBC’s untitled action thriller about an idealistic Secret Service agent who finds himself at the epicenter of an international crisis on his first day on the job when the First Son and several schoolmates are kidnapped. Lafferty will play the private school instructor who was abducted with his students.

* The Lord Of The RingsSean Astin has made an appointment with CBS’ The Surgeon General, playing Dr. Fischer, the member of Dr. Sherman’s (Jason Isaacs) team who oversees the nation’s mental health.

* Rosa Salazar (Parenthood) has been cast in Fox’s Boomerang family drama, playing the ex-girlfriend of one of hitwoman Felicity Huffman’s sons.

* The Daily Show‘s Al Madrigal has joined Jason Katims’ About A Boy adaptation for NBC, playing the best friend of David Walton’s character.

* 90210‘s Josh Zuckerman will play a green, neurotic but brilliant attorney on the John Stamos-fronted NBC drama I Am Victor.

* Rossif “Son of Donald” Sutherland will recur as the French prophet Nostradamus in Reign, The CW’s drama about the teen years of Mary Queen of Scots in France.

1. Leena says:

Thank God. I need me some Nathan Scott back on my TV!

2. wordsmith says:

“The Sons of Kiefer” would be a great name for a band.

3. Zachary says:

Al Madrigal is hilarious. Will be so angry if About a Boy doesn’t go forward.

4. Dominique says:

I think you mean “Son of Donald”…

5. wordsmith says:

I wouldn’t say I’m hooked on the concept of “Surgeon General” – not without first seeing a teaser to show where they’re going with it – but I have to say, they are putting together one hell of an ensemble.

6. Maggie says:

I know that Josh Zuckerman is 27, but he looks so young!! will be a trip to see him try & pull off this one

7. WingsStef says:

Intriguing pilots. The Surgeon General sounds like it might be a new angle for a medical drama. And Sean Astin is in it, so it I might have to check it out.

8. Alan says:

as long as this doesnt get in the way of his work on teenage mutant ninja turtles (best cartoon on tv at the minute) then im happy for seán astin getting work.
    while im not overjoyed by the premise of the series there are now 3 actors in surgeon general that i think would be amazing together (astin, isaacs and reisgraf) so i may check it out if it were to get some decent reviews.

9. kirads09 says:

Yay for Sean. Hope it is a success for him.

10. lovelyme says:

ugh! I think I kinda have a nerd-crush on Josh Zuckerman a.k.a Max Miller from 90210. damn. lol.

11. Christian says:

Thank goodness Lafferty won’t be playing a secret service agent. He doesn’t have the acting chops to pull that off convincingly.

• wordsmith says:

I’m pretty sure the only acting requirement for playing a Secret Service agent is “serious”, and possibly “tough”. Though even those are flexible. Surely he could handle at least that much?

12. Emelie says:

I think James Lafferty is a fine actor. He’s also very handsome. I can see him aging as well as Rob Lowe and John Stamos many years down the road. I am looking forward to seeing him on television again.