Pilot News: James Lafferty, Sean Astin, 90210 Fave, Parenthood Alum Among Latest Castings

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

Pilots_Lafferty_AstinA onetime One Tree Hill resident, a beloved Hobbit, a Parenthood babymaker and a 90210 fave are among the latest actors to book pilots.

RELATED | Pilots 2013: Your Guide to This Fall’s (Possible) Newcomers and Who’s Starring In Them

Per our sister site Deadline….

* Tree Hill alum James Lafferty has joined NBC’s untitled action thriller about an idealistic Secret Service agent who finds himself at the epicenter of an international crisis on his first day on the job when the First Son and several schoolmates are kidnapped. Lafferty will play the private school instructor who was abducted with his students.

* The Lord Of The RingsSean Astin has made an appointment with CBS’ The Surgeon General, playing Dr. Fischer, the member of Dr. Sherman’s (Jason Isaacs) team who oversees the nation’s mental health.

* Rosa Salazar (Parenthood) has been cast in Fox’s Boomerang family drama, playing the ex-girlfriend of one of hitwoman Felicity Huffman’s sons.

* The Daily Show‘s Al Madrigal has joined Jason Katims’ About A Boy adaptation for NBC, playing the best friend of David Walton’s character.

* 90210‘s Josh Zuckerman will play a green, neurotic but brilliant attorney on the John Stamos-fronted NBC drama I Am Victor.

* Rossif “Son of Donald” Sutherland will recur as the French prophet Nostradamus in Reign, The CW’s drama about the teen years of Mary Queen of Scots in France.

Comments (23)

• Thank God. I need me some Nathan Scott back on my TV!

Comment by Leena – March 15, 2013 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! I had (heck still have) a ridiculously major crush on him.

Comment by Sarah – March 15, 2013 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Truth. James Lafferty is really sexy. Would love to see him return to my screen.

Comment by Spencer – March 15, 2013 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • A-Effing-Men.

Comment by Magically Suspicious – March 20, 2013 06:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “The Sons of Kiefer” would be a great name for a band.

Comment by wordsmith – March 15, 2013 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How about Sons of Donald, though? Or Half-Sibs of Kiefer?

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich, Editor-at-Large TVLine.com – March 15, 2013 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • More accurate perhaps, but less of a ring to it. Kiefer’s Kin maybe?

Comment by wordsmith – March 15, 2013 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Al Madrigal is hilarious. Will be so angry if About a Boy doesn’t go forward.

Comment by Zachary – March 15, 2013 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think you mean “Son of Donald”…

Comment by Dominique – March 15, 2013 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Indeed.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – March 15, 2013 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Token Canadian. I had to specify :)

Comment by Dominique – March 15, 2013 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • good catch.

Comment by wordsmith – March 15, 2013 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wouldn’t say I’m hooked on the concept of “Surgeon General” – not without first seeing a teaser to show where they’re going with it – but I have to say, they are putting together one hell of an ensemble.

Comment by wordsmith – March 15, 2013 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS. Sean Astin, Kathryn Morris, Beth Riesgraf. I am SO watching this show.

Comment by MJ – March 15, 2013 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know that Josh Zuckerman is 27, but he looks so young!! will be a trip to see him try & pull off this one

Comment by Maggie – March 15, 2013 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Intriguing pilots. The Surgeon General sounds like it might be a new angle for a medical drama. And Sean Astin is in it, so it I might have to check it out.

Comment by WingsStef – March 15, 2013 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • as long as this doesnt get in the way of his work on teenage mutant ninja turtles (best cartoon on tv at the minute) then im happy for seán astin getting work.
    while im not overjoyed by the premise of the series there are now 3 actors in surgeon general that i think would be amazing together (astin, isaacs and reisgraf) so i may check it out if it were to get some decent reviews.

Comment by Alan – March 15, 2013 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay for Sean. Hope it is a success for him.

Comment by kirads09 – March 15, 2013 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ugh! I think I kinda have a nerd-crush on Josh Zuckerman a.k.a Max Miller from 90210. damn. lol.

Comment by lovelyme – March 15, 2013 05:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank goodness Lafferty won’t be playing a secret service agent. He doesn’t have the acting chops to pull that off convincingly.

Comment by Christian – March 15, 2013 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m pretty sure the only acting requirement for playing a Secret Service agent is “serious”, and possibly “tough”. Though even those are flexible. Surely he could handle at least that much?

Comment by wordsmith – March 16, 2013 12:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Trust me, he couldn’t. He had one facial expression on One Tree Hill and it conveyed constipation.

Comment by Christian – March 16, 2013 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think James Lafferty is a fine actor. He’s also very handsome. I can see him aging as well as Rob Lowe and John Stamos many years down the road. I am looking forward to seeing him on television again.

Comment by Emelie – May 9, 2013 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post