TVLine Items: Jeopardy Eyes Matt Lauer as Host, Creepy New Hannibal Promo and More!

Matt Lauer Replacing Alex TrebekIs Matt Lauer angling to be the next Alex Trebek?

The Today staple is said to be at the top of the list of replacements for the Jeopardy host, who is reportedly looking to step down in 2016, per the New York Post.

RELATED | Renewal Scorecard: What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s Coming Back? What’s on the Bubble?

Rumors have been circulating that Lauer will not re-up with Today when his contract expires (likely in 2014 or 2015) — though on Thursday an exec at the network told the New York Times that they’d like the series’ longtime anchor “to be in the chair as long as he would like to be.”

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

• NBC has unveiled its first full-length trailer for the hotly anticipated Hannibal, which is set to bow Thursday, April 4 at 10/9c. Press PLAY below to dig into the fresh footage-filled promo, then hit the comments with your reactions!

• Warner Bros. will bring some of its top series to this year’s WonderCon, which hits Anaheim, Calif., at the end of March. On Friday, March 29, the studio will screen unaired episodes of Arrow, The Following, Revolution and Teen Titans Go!. A Revolution panel — featuring stars Billy Burke, Elizabeth Mitchell, Tracy Spiridakos, Zak Orth, David Lyons, Daniella Alonso and Tim Guinee, as well as co-EP David Rambo — will hit the convention on March 30, and an Arrow panel — with Stephen Amell, Colin Donnell, Willa Holland, Paul Blackthorne and EPs Marc Guggenheim and Andrew Kreisberg — will take place on March 31.

RELATED | Arrow Promotes Colton Haynes to Series Regular

• Los Angeles Police Department Chief Charlie Beck is slated to make a cameo in Southland‘s fifth season finale, which is in production now, per LA Observed.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, News, Trailers and Promos, TVLine Items, Video

1. Dee says:

Hell NO!!!! Do not want this arrogant jerk to replace Alex.

2. JD says:

But Alex is arrogant too!

3. Androme says:

Fox said The Following is made for cable. NBC didn’t say Hannibal was for cable. Hannibal is more made for cable. I am so watching.

4. Steven says:

Well Hannibal looks absolutely horrifying. I wouldn’t watch if not for Bryan Fuller being behind this. That man is a genius.

5. Ana says:

Matt Lauer is one of the greatest mysteries of TV to me. Even more so than Ryan Seacrest. This man, Matt, oozes arrogance out of every pore of his body. The ratings on his show have been plummeting and they kicked Ann Curry out for naught because people are still tuning out. My theory is that they are tired of Lauer and that he is grossly, GROSSLY, overpaid.

6. TV Gord says:

Come on, TVLine. You’re better than this. I sincerely believe you are. Jeopardy is not “eying” Matt Lauer. It’s Friday afternoon, and other websites are posting this lazy, speculative story. Don’t be TVGuide,com (or nypost.com). Don’t do that. I left them because of stories such as this. I expect more from you.

• TV Gord says:

A friend pointed out to me that I am being too harsh, After a brief afternoon nap, I have to agree. I have VERY recently given up on those other sites I mentioned, and I shouldn’t have dumped on THIS website which has become my “go to” site. I’m being unfair, and I apologize. I’ll still be hitting HERE more than anywhere else this weekend. So–simply as a fan–I have to apologize. Keep up the great work, TV Line. My bitterness about Friday afternoon in entertanmentland should not be dumped on the one site I visit first. :-)

7. Ana says:

I find it interesting that on Hannibal, the guy that plays Graham sounds more like Anthony Hopkins than the guy that plays Lecter. It threw me off for a second. It looks intriguing. I think that watching The Walking Dead is good preparation for this but still, this looks really gory and bloody. I agree that this is more suitable for cable. This is like The Following on steroids except that Joe has a certain charm and magnetism that kind of pulls you in and makes you like him a bit. Lecter, as portrayed by this actor, is just plain creepy. He lacks the appeal of Anthony Hopkins. I will most likely DVR it because it is up against Scandal and that comes first in my book. I wonder if this will pull viewers from Elementary since there is a similarity in how both central characters are eccentric geniuses working to solve crimes.

• Sam says:

We’ve seen a 2.5 minute clip and you’re ready to make all of these determinations? Come now.

• Ana says:

What? After an entire 2.5 minutes you can’t pick up the essence, nuances and rhythm of the show? Really? It’s not a 20 second promo. You have enough time to observe the characters, listen to their tone and pitch, watch the body language, see the blood dripping down on to the ground and the other elements used to induce a specific reaction of shock. I’m not speculating on the future of the show or the quality of the writing. I’m not inferring anything. I simply made my observations based on what we can all see on the clip. Maybe you looked but didn’t see…

8. Tran says:

I can answer in a form of a question: Who is Matt Lauer? DING DING DING

9. Jake says:

Who wants to see this overly paid arrogant SOB on Jeopardy? HELL TO THE NO!!

10. Jared says:

Hannibal looks good but Thursdays at 10 are for Scandal. I guess ill have to watch on demand instead.

11. Jade says:

Hannibal looks good but it makes me wonder why NBC 1. would debut it this late in the season if the network really stood behind the series and 2. Giving it such a competitive timeslot that seems almost destined to be DoA.

12. TV Fan says:

Jeopardy! needs a host with CLASS. Not someone who forgot the C and the L.

13. Jeffty says:

Yes I realize Alex Trebek can’t go on forever. I, however, would not watch the show with Matt Lauer. Get Ken Jennings to do it. Or Will Ferrell.

14. cole says:

What was the final q today

15. cole says:

By the matt kauer is a d bag

16. cole says:

if anybody wants tell me what the final Jeopardy question was me great

• mandee says:

What is a Midsummer Night’s Dream?
      Answer: Although it is stated to take place around May Day, Shakespeare gave the play this title (something to that effect).

17. MelindaB says:

I can watch Bones during dinner and never flinch…maybe because the bodies don’t look like people any more. I’m not sure whether I can stomach Hannibal, although Hugh Dancy and Lawrence Fishburne are big draws. I’ll try an episode or two and see how it goes.

18. ThatBob says:

I’ve been watching Jeopardy! since Art Flemming was host, but Matt Lauer? Sorry, but I won’t watch that. Horrible idea.

19. Jennifer says:

I saw preview and adore Raul to death and love creepy dark stuff. I never saw the movie and now realize there may be reason for that. I don’t know if I can stomach this (no pun intended). I hope it’s not as creepy as it looks because I really want to give it a chance.
    As for Lauer, I can pretty much guarantee if this story is true and does happen, NBC needs to start looking for replacepment show for Jeopardy cause ratings WILL tank and the show will not survive. I don’t care what NBC is saying about Lauer and Curry situation, even if it were true, it’s to little to late. NBC, once again you have screwed the viewers.

20. Huh says:

A show based on silence on the lambs will never work on Network tv.

Much like the playboy club and dexter and every other show that deals with racier themes such as blood and gore, It is better suited for cable or HBO.

It is my prediction that hannibal will last 5 episodes and then go on hiatus for 3 weeks and then will be cancelled.

As for matt lauer, no and no and no.

If this is the route that Sony or NBC wants to take for Jeopardy, I think that show should be cancelled.

If Alex trebek or bob barker or darryl hannah can’t do hosting duties , then it’s time to end the show.

Matt Lauer is an arrogant pickle who threw ann curry under the bus and then gave a half-glassed apology about it.

His baggage will destroy jeopardy’s legacy and I love that show too much to see it happen.

21. TVDIVA says:

OMG Why in the name of all that is holy would Jeopardy choose the most hated morning talk show host in America to replace Alex? There are hundreds of other wonderful people out there, including lots of actors who would do a great job. Drew Carey is doing fine on the Price is Right and Steve Harvey does well on whatever game show he hosts. Please just put Matt out to pasture.

22. David P. Graf says:

My wife and I have been faithful Jeopardy viewers for decades. If Matt Lauer replaces Alex, then we’ll quit watching Jeopardy. Matt is so everything (in the bad sense) that Alex isn’t. Let Ken Jennings replace Alex.

23. Stew says:

NBC doesn’t know what scheduling is… Awake failed in the Thursday @ 10 timeslot last season. This season, Do No Harm was an utter disaster in the same timeslot. What’s NBC’s next plan? Another new drama Thursdays at 10. The only thing that Hannibal has going for it that the previous two didn’t is that it has the legacy of Hannibal. If NBC really wanted this show to be successful, they would give it a The Voice lead in, either Tuesdays at 9 or 10.

24. Fnord says:

I’ve been watching ‘Jeopardy!’ since the Art Flemming days, Matt Lauer would be a horrible choice. Ken Jennings would be acceptable. I’d like to suggest Danica McKellar as a possible host.

25. Bob says:

Matt Lauer??? Sounds more like a press release straight from his agent to the media.

Answer: Matt Lauer
    Question: How do you kill the most popular, long-running game show of all time?