7 Shows That Should Follow Veronica Mars' Kickstarter Lead (and 3 That Shouldn't)

TV-related prayers really do get answered, or else God just happens to have great taste in brilliant-but-canceled programming.

Yes indeed, hot on the heels of Arrested Development‘s new life on Netflix — and a Friday Night Lights movie script reportedly in existence — Veronica Mars fans on Wednesday took Kickstarter by storm and pledged the $3 million necessary to start production on a film version of the dearly departed CW series.

RELATED | Veronica Mars Movie Meets Fundraising Goal – Check Out Six Possible Big-Screen Plots

With so much good TV mojo in the air, we thought we’d brainstorm a list of seven more shows that could (and should) go the Veronica Mars route — thanks to their cult followings and relatively low budgets — and three that wouldn’t really fit that particular model, mostly because their special-effects and stunt budgets would make the costs unfeasible.

Click through the gallery below, then hit the comments and tell us which TV-show-to-big-screen adaptations you’d support through a grassroots fundraising campaign!

TAGS: , , , ,
GET MORE: Lists, Photo Gallery

1. The only ones I would donate for are Tru Calling, Lost (deal with it) and possibly Dark Angel.

2. paola says:

WHY NOT JAG? The finale was so hasty, deserved something more!

3. ByronAlways says:

And a sequel to Rome, Alias (with a true conclusion on Rambaldi’s identity) or Kyle XY

• Josh says:

A Rome Kickstarter would need to reach at least $20 Million to even get close to making an EPISODE of Rome, let alone a movie.

• ByronAlways says:

yes but with 2 millions, it’s not possible to make a VM movie. The objective is to show the interest of a project to poductors and studio to put money on the table.If fans want this project and put their money, the productors will be more relaxed on a project.

• Alan says:

from what i gathered the money from the kickstarter is the budget, i dont think anyone is adding any money to it. im pretty sure rob thomas said 2 million was the absolute minimum needed to make them movie, and thats why they came up with a ton of new rewards when they all started selling out because he wanted a bigger budget and that was the only way.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

I think he said there was a chance WB could chip in a touch here or there if they really need some extra set or some extra actor badly.

• Alan says:

still wouldnt amount to much extra on top of the kickstarter money, so there would still be a tiny budget.

4. ByronAlways says:

Primeval’s movie and not Canadian primeval

5. ByronAlways says:

4400

6. ByronAlways says:

I prefer Kickstarter for space exploration

7. Kate'shomesick says:

ROSWELL and definitely 10 things I hate about you. The latter was GREAT TV and the storylines surely deserved closure…so underaprecciated…

8. dude says:

I don’t believe that Wonderfalls or Pushing Daisies fans would be able to come up with enough money.

9. lauren says:

Gilmore Girls YES!! and no True Gilmore fan would ever be ok with them recasting Sookie and the cast always said they were like a family so I very much doubt that Melissa McCarthy would turn it down. Also Charmed I would love to see that as a Movie

10. Josh says:

I would hope Melissa McCarthey would show up anyway. Everyone is taking a paycut for Veronica Mars(okay Kristen Bell is taking a paycut…) but come on! She has to come back. If not, I have a feeling Sookie will be at some sort of convention or something…doing something for the Dragon Fly. They won’t recast her.

Gilmore Girls is the one I want the most as I don’t feel it got the right ending…

11. A-IsWatchingYou says:

Kyle xy, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicle, Dark Angel and Tru Calling. These shows definitely needed closure.

• ByronAlways says:

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

Yeah Terminator needs closure desperately. So much left hanging, lots of S2 was setting up for amazing stuff in S3. If they had just let it have even just one more season and cancelled after S3 it would’ve been a 1000x more tolerable. So stupid, it was just because of the writer’s strike and then moving it against MNF (and they didn’t even remotely try to count DVR ratings back then, which would’ve given it a huge boost) and then Friday night (again not counting DVR at all back then killed it), if not for those three things ti would’ve certain;y gotten a third season. I think the FOX TV exec in charge of that even says he made a bad mistake.

12. Kathleen Blankenship says:

FELICITY!!!! Another CW show that I LOVED and was cancelled way too early. I just re-watched the entire series, and would love to see how Felicity, Ben, Noel, Elena, and Megan and Sean wound up!

13. Rae says:

GILMORE GIRLS!! It is absolutely one of my all time favorite shows and I still watch it to this day. I have all the dvds and sometimes catch it on ABC Family. It took four seasons for Luke & Lorelai to finally get together and the series ends with a kiss and a notion that they are going to be together. Their relationship got robbed of a proper send off. I absolutely loved season 5 with them dating and season 6 where they were engaged and remodeling Lorelai’s house. Then April had to show up…I understand that conflict has to ensue for a show to continue but there should have been a better storyline. The April storyline was horrible and I hated how Lorelai didn’t tell Luke how she was feeling. The last season was terrible and you can tell the shift in the writing. I hated how Lorelai acted in the first half of the last season. She went back to the old Lorelai when she and Luke went looking for her a new car in, It’s Just Like Riding A Bike. April and the last season tarnishes my show. Luke and Lorelai should have had their perfect wedding. One last thing, I was always a fan of Rory and Jess being together especially when he got his act together, wrote his book and worked at the small bookstore in Philadelphia. They both have the smarts, books and music in common which she had with Logan but he was too arrogant. I did like Logan and I liked him on the show for the last three years but I always felt she belonged with Jess.
    If you can’t tell…I’m a HUGE fan of Gilmore Girls.

Also, I would love a movie for Ugly Betty.

14. ByronAlways says:

Sorry but I want a movie on VM but I don’t like the proposed plots.

15. ByronAlways says:

Twin Peaks, Threshold Sliders

16. Emilia says:

GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. ByronAlways says:

a sequel to best season of Lost: the first season.

18. Lucy says:

GILMORE GIRLS AND CHARMED!!! I MISS THOSE SHOWS SOOO MUCH!

19. Matt says:

I’d really like to see where “JOHN DOE” was going when it got cancelled. John had just figured out that the shadowy figure he was looking for was his best friend. That show reminded me a lot of “The Pretender” with a guy smart enough to do just about anything extremely well.

20. Susan says:

I vote for a CHUCK movie!!!

21. ByronAlways says:

The Spectacular Spider-Man season 3

22. May says:

Yes to the Gilmore Girls movie! Been waiting on that since 2007.

23. robinepowell says:

Gilmore Girls definetly needs a movie. We never got an eighth season, so fans are still waiting for Luke and Lorelai to get married, finally!!

24. Matt says:

Really only one of these shows should get a movie—and a new series—DEADWOOD. You cant even argue with that.

25. Andrew says:

Roswell!

26. Jill says:

I’d contribute to get movie made to wrap up The Pretender series!

27. Belle says:

JERICHO – All the way baby!!!!!

28. Grace says:

I think a movie version of Camelot would be great!! :)

29. Flowbee Rida says:

Two Words: TWIN PEAKS.

30. JASon says:

I don’t think Buffy would be possible because it seems to me that Joss and Sarah are no longer close! They haven’t worked together since. But a Buffyverse TV movie/Straight to video feature could work. Think a Spike/Dru movieor A Giles/Faith movie!!!

31. JASon says:

Twin Peaks would be the best!! Most of the cast is no longer working. Problem is the actor who played BOB is dead but they could use old footage of him in the mirror and just have Kyle MclAchlan play BOB!

32. Ally_D says:

Ugly Betty!!!

33. Josh says:

I know that its fairly soon after FRINGE ended but still John Nobel has said at comic con that a film could be made further down the line.I would love to see Wonderfalls, Pushing Daisies. I too have mixed feelings about a CHUCK movie. I felt like it ended in a way people could be happy with. Also would love for carnivale to continue. And if HBO cancels Enlightened i would love to see that continue.

34. Charlotte says:

Pushing daises!

35. Boone says:

- Awake
    – Terriers
    – Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles
    – Fastlane
    – Invasion
    – Dark Angel

Kickstarter could begin for this.. Im in.

36. Jen says:

How about The 4400?

37. lynn says:

MOONLIGHT <3

38. Raven says:

I agree about Buffy. Plus James Marsters said last year at SDCC that he would never return to play Spike because he’s aged so much and you can’t explain that well enough to satisfy fans.

I think Firefly or Heroes would make a great kickstarter project.

39. Anthony Martinez says:

Reaper. The WB/CW got rid of a great show right as it was getting good.

• Jason C says:

YEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!! This totally needs to happen with Reaper, I would love to know what happened after the Devil got Andi’s soul as well as Sam’s!!

40. Anthony Martinez says:

Can we also add cartoons? I believe Gargoyles of all animation needs an ending as well as the rest of the show on DVD. There are plenty more but Gargoyles tops them all.

41. Rae says:

The article mentioned “Friday Night lights?” The TV series was the follow behind to the 2002 MOVIE by Peter Berg and the same for Buffy with Kristie What’s her name. Forget that most of the stars a better paided as TV stars.

Include better details or don’t mention it at all

• The show “Friday Night Lights” followed the source material like the movie did, the same can’t be said about “Buffy the Vampire Slayer”. The vision Joss Whedon had for “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” didn’t come through in the movie, which was the impetus for the show (much like Whedon creating Firefly in response to his script for “Alien: Resurrection” being butchered). So in reality, Buffy the TV show doesn’t have much in common with Buffy the movie.

42. Jaime says:

Dollhouse! I wouldn’t say no to another Firefly, either.

43. Linds says:

I’m still waiting for the Las Vegas movie!

44. Sondra says:

I would LOVE a Gilmore Girls movie! I’ve been saying that since day one, especially considering how bad the last season was. I feel like it needs a second chance to end the right way. As big of a Buffy fan as I am (and I am), I actually would not like to see a Buffy movie. It ended so perfectly that I just want to believe in my little fantasy of them living happily ever after. And if you’re not happy with that, you can always read the comics. The way it ended (spoiler), with all potentials being called, would make any post-finale movie plot difficult to give a really “the end” feel to it. There really isn’t enough left. As for Chuck, God do I wish! But I agree with TVLine that a Kickstarter budget wouldn’t even be enough to touch what we truly loved about Chuck.

45. Jackie says:

I think TruCalling ,Wonderfalls, Alienation and Quantim Leap all deserve to be kickstarted to have a full closure to the series.

46. Buy Mulberry says:

I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great. I don’t know who you are but certainly you’re going to a famous blogger if you are not already ;) Cheers!

47. Sha says:

I really want to see a movie based on Bosom Buddies. I think John Hamm would be a great Kip and Jerick Hoffer (Jinkx Monsoon) would be an amazing Henry.

48. Reva says:

Ugh. As much as I understand why they say no to Kickstarting a Chuck movie, I still don’t care. I’m not the “hope for the best” person who can just subscribe to the theory that Sarah got her memories back. I need the proof, and I want to see Team Bartowski be happy once and for all. It felt like a slap in the face that that was the ending of the series. I’d Kickstart a movie, and I’d hope that enough other fans would too. If not, then yeah, sitting in a Best Buy, redesigned to look like a Buy More, talking the whole time would be a far cry from the action adventure spy stuff we were used to. But, I think I’d have enough faith in the Chucksters of the world.