7 Shows That Should Follow Veronica Mars' Kickstarter Lead (and 3 That Shouldn't)

Get More: Lists, Photo Gallery

TV-related prayers really do get answered, or else God just happens to have great taste in brilliant-but-canceled programming.

Yes indeed, hot on the heels of Arrested Development‘s new life on Netflix — and a Friday Night Lights movie script reportedly in existence – Veronica Mars fans on Wednesday took Kickstarter by storm and pledged the $3 million necessary to start production on a film version of the dearly departed CW series.

RELATED | Veronica Mars Movie Meets Fundraising Goal – Check Out Six Possible Big-Screen Plots

With so much good TV mojo in the air, we thought we’d brainstorm a list of seven more shows that could (and should) go the Veronica Mars route — thanks to their cult followings and relatively low budgets — and three that wouldn’t really fit that particular model, mostly because their special-effects and stunt budgets would make the costs unfeasible.

Click through the gallery below, then hit the comments and tell us which TV-show-to-big-screen adaptations you’d support through a grassroots fundraising campaign!

Comments (288)

• The only ones I would donate for are Tru Calling, Lost (deal with it) and possibly Dark Angel.

Comment by kim (@oohlaluxe) – March 15, 2013 03:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHY NOT JAG? The finale was so hasty, deserved something more!

Comment by paola – March 15, 2013 04:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And a sequel to Rome, Alias (with a true conclusion on Rambaldi’s identity) or Kyle XY

Comment by ByronAlways – March 15, 2013 04:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • A Rome Kickstarter would need to reach at least $20 Million to even get close to making an EPISODE of Rome, let alone a movie.

Comment by Josh – March 15, 2013 06:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • yes but with 2 millions, it’s not possible to make a VM movie. The objective is to show the interest of a project to poductors and studio to put money on the table.If fans want this project and put their money, the productors will be more relaxed on a project.

Comment by ByronAlways – March 15, 2013 08:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • from what i gathered the money from the kickstarter is the budget, i dont think anyone is adding any money to it. im pretty sure rob thomas said 2 million was the absolute minimum needed to make them movie, and thats why they came up with a ton of new rewards when they all started selling out because he wanted a bigger budget and that was the only way.

Comment by Alan – March 15, 2013 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I think he said there was a chance WB could chip in a touch here or there if they really need some extra set or some extra actor badly.

Comment by HitTheGroundRunning – March 15, 2013 01:03 PM PDT
          • still wouldnt amount to much extra on top of the kickstarter money, so there would still be a tiny budget.

Comment by Alan – March 15, 2013 01:14 PM PDT
  • Primeval’s movie and not Canadian primeval

Comment by ByronAlways – March 15, 2013 04:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 4400

Comment by ByronAlways – March 15, 2013 04:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I prefer Kickstarter for space exploration

Comment by ByronAlways – March 15, 2013 05:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ROSWELL and definitely 10 things I hate about you. The latter was GREAT TV and the storylines surely deserved closure…so underaprecciated…

Comment by Kate'shomesick – March 15, 2013 05:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t believe that Wonderfalls or Pushing Daisies fans would be able to come up with enough money.

Comment by dude – March 15, 2013 06:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gilmore Girls YES!! and no True Gilmore fan would ever be ok with them recasting Sookie and the cast always said they were like a family so I very much doubt that Melissa McCarthy would turn it down. Also Charmed I would love to see that as a Movie

Comment by lauren – March 15, 2013 06:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would hope Melissa McCarthey would show up anyway. Everyone is taking a paycut for Veronica Mars(okay Kristen Bell is taking a paycut…) but come on! She has to come back. If not, I have a feeling Sookie will be at some sort of convention or something…doing something for the Dragon Fly. They won’t recast her.

Gilmore Girls is the one I want the most as I don’t feel it got the right ending…

Comment by Josh – March 15, 2013 06:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kyle xy, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicle, Dark Angel and Tru Calling. These shows definitely needed closure.

Comment by A-IsWatchingYou – March 15, 2013 06:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by ByronAlways – March 15, 2013 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah Terminator needs closure desperately. So much left hanging, lots of S2 was setting up for amazing stuff in S3. If they had just let it have even just one more season and cancelled after S3 it would’ve been a 1000x more tolerable. So stupid, it was just because of the writer’s strike and then moving it against MNF (and they didn’t even remotely try to count DVR ratings back then, which would’ve given it a huge boost) and then Friday night (again not counting DVR at all back then killed it), if not for those three things ti would’ve certain;y gotten a third season. I think the FOX TV exec in charge of that even says he made a bad mistake.

Comment by HitTheGroundRunning – March 15, 2013 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FELICITY!!!! Another CW show that I LOVED and was cancelled way too early. I just re-watched the entire series, and would love to see how Felicity, Ben, Noel, Elena, and Megan and Sean wound up!

Comment by Kathleen Blankenship – March 15, 2013 07:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GILMORE GIRLS!! It is absolutely one of my all time favorite shows and I still watch it to this day. I have all the dvds and sometimes catch it on ABC Family. It took four seasons for Luke & Lorelai to finally get together and the series ends with a kiss and a notion that they are going to be together. Their relationship got robbed of a proper send off. I absolutely loved season 5 with them dating and season 6 where they were engaged and remodeling Lorelai’s house. Then April had to show up…I understand that conflict has to ensue for a show to continue but there should have been a better storyline. The April storyline was horrible and I hated how Lorelai didn’t tell Luke how she was feeling. The last season was terrible and you can tell the shift in the writing. I hated how Lorelai acted in the first half of the last season. She went back to the old Lorelai when she and Luke went looking for her a new car in, It’s Just Like Riding A Bike. April and the last season tarnishes my show. Luke and Lorelai should have had their perfect wedding. One last thing, I was always a fan of Rory and Jess being together especially when he got his act together, wrote his book and worked at the small bookstore in Philadelphia. They both have the smarts, books and music in common which she had with Logan but he was too arrogant. I did like Logan and I liked him on the show for the last three years but I always felt she belonged with Jess.
    If you can’t tell…I’m a HUGE fan of Gilmore Girls.

Also, I would love a movie for Ugly Betty.

Comment by Rae – March 15, 2013 07:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry but I want a movie on VM but I don’t like the proposed plots.

Comment by ByronAlways – March 15, 2013 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Twin Peaks, Threshold Sliders

Comment by ByronAlways – March 15, 2013 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Odyssey 5, john doe, Earth 2 , the dead zone, 4400

Comment by ByronAlways – March 15, 2013 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • david lynch wants a sequel to twin peaks

Comment by ByronAlways – March 15, 2013 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS GILMORE GIRLS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Emilia – March 15, 2013 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • without me.

Comment by ByronAlways – March 15, 2013 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • a sequel to best season of Lost: the first season.

Comment by ByronAlways – March 15, 2013 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GILMORE GIRLS AND CHARMED!!! I MISS THOSE SHOWS SOOO MUCH!

Comment by Lucy – March 15, 2013 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d really like to see where “JOHN DOE” was going when it got cancelled. John had just figured out that the shadowy figure he was looking for was his best friend. That show reminded me a lot of “The Pretender” with a guy smart enough to do just about anything extremely well.

Comment by Matt – March 15, 2013 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I vote for a CHUCK movie!!!

Comment by Susan – March 15, 2013 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Spectacular Spider-Man season 3

Comment by ByronAlways – March 15, 2013 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes to the Gilmore Girls movie! Been waiting on that since 2007.

Comment by May – March 15, 2013 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gilmore Girls definetly needs a movie. We never got an eighth season, so fans are still waiting for Luke and Lorelai to get married, finally!!

Comment by robinepowell – March 15, 2013 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really only one of these shows should get a movie—and a new series—DEADWOOD. You cant even argue with that.

Comment by Matt – March 15, 2013 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Roswell!

Comment by Andrew – March 15, 2013 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d contribute to get movie made to wrap up The Pretender series!

Comment by Jill – March 15, 2013 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • JERICHO – All the way baby!!!!!

Comment by Belle – March 15, 2013 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think a movie version of Camelot would be great!! :)

Comment by Grace – March 15, 2013 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Two Words: TWIN PEAKS.

Comment by Flowbee Rida – March 15, 2013 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think Buffy would be possible because it seems to me that Joss and Sarah are no longer close! They haven’t worked together since. But a Buffyverse TV movie/Straight to video feature could work. Think a Spike/Dru movieor A Giles/Faith movie!!!

Comment by JASon – March 15, 2013 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Twin Peaks would be the best!! Most of the cast is no longer working. Problem is the actor who played BOB is dead but they could use old footage of him in the mirror and just have Kyle MclAchlan play BOB!

Comment by JASon – March 15, 2013 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugly Betty!!!

Comment by Ally_D – March 15, 2013 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know that its fairly soon after FRINGE ended but still John Nobel has said at comic con that a film could be made further down the line.I would love to see Wonderfalls, Pushing Daisies. I too have mixed feelings about a CHUCK movie. I felt like it ended in a way people could be happy with. Also would love for carnivale to continue. And if HBO cancels Enlightened i would love to see that continue.

Comment by Josh – March 15, 2013 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pushing daises!

Comment by Charlotte – March 15, 2013 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • - Awake
    - Terriers
    - Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles
    - Fastlane
    - Invasion
    - Dark Angel

Kickstarter could begin for this.. Im in.

Comment by Boone – March 16, 2013 02:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about The 4400?

Comment by Jen – March 20, 2013 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MOONLIGHT <3

Comment by lynn – March 20, 2013 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree about Buffy. Plus James Marsters said last year at SDCC that he would never return to play Spike because he’s aged so much and you can’t explain that well enough to satisfy fans.

I think Firefly or Heroes would make a great kickstarter project.

Comment by Raven – March 20, 2013 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reaper. The WB/CW got rid of a great show right as it was getting good.

Comment by Anthony Martinez – March 20, 2013 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!! This totally needs to happen with Reaper, I would love to know what happened after the Devil got Andi’s soul as well as Sam’s!!

Comment by Jason C – March 20, 2013 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can we also add cartoons? I believe Gargoyles of all animation needs an ending as well as the rest of the show on DVD. There are plenty more but Gargoyles tops them all.

Comment by Anthony Martinez – March 20, 2013 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The article mentioned “Friday Night lights?” The TV series was the follow behind to the 2002 MOVIE by Peter Berg and the same for Buffy with Kristie What’s her name. Forget that most of the stars a better paided as TV stars.

Include better details or don’t mention it at all

Comment by Rae – March 20, 2013 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The show “Friday Night Lights” followed the source material like the movie did, the same can’t be said about “Buffy the Vampire Slayer”. The vision Joss Whedon had for “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” didn’t come through in the movie, which was the impetus for the show (much like Whedon creating Firefly in response to his script for “Alien: Resurrection” being butchered). So in reality, Buffy the TV show doesn’t have much in common with Buffy the movie.

Comment by jasoncwilkerson – March 20, 2013 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dollhouse! I wouldn’t say no to another Firefly, either.

Comment by Jaime – March 21, 2013 12:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gilmore Girls!!!

Comment by Malin - MalinBelle.com – March 21, 2013 04:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m still waiting for the Las Vegas movie!

Comment by Linds – March 21, 2013 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would LOVE a Gilmore Girls movie! I’ve been saying that since day one, especially considering how bad the last season was. I feel like it needs a second chance to end the right way. As big of a Buffy fan as I am (and I am), I actually would not like to see a Buffy movie. It ended so perfectly that I just want to believe in my little fantasy of them living happily ever after. And if you’re not happy with that, you can always read the comics. The way it ended (spoiler), with all potentials being called, would make any post-finale movie plot difficult to give a really “the end” feel to it. There really isn’t enough left. As for Chuck, God do I wish! But I agree with TVLine that a Kickstarter budget wouldn’t even be enough to touch what we truly loved about Chuck.

Comment by Sondra – March 22, 2013 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think TruCalling ,Wonderfalls, Alienation and Quantim Leap all deserve to be kickstarted to have a full closure to the series.

Comment by Jackie – April 4, 2013 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great. I don’t know who you are but certainly you’re going to a famous blogger if you are not already ;) Cheers!

Comment by Buy Mulberry – April 8, 2013 01:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really want to see a movie based on Bosom Buddies. I think John Hamm would be a great Kip and Jerick Hoffer (Jinkx Monsoon) would be an amazing Henry.

Comment by Sha – June 8, 2013 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh. As much as I understand why they say no to Kickstarting a Chuck movie, I still don’t care. I’m not the “hope for the best” person who can just subscribe to the theory that Sarah got her memories back. I need the proof, and I want to see Team Bartowski be happy once and for all. It felt like a slap in the face that that was the ending of the series. I’d Kickstart a movie, and I’d hope that enough other fans would too. If not, then yeah, sitting in a Best Buy, redesigned to look like a Buy More, talking the whole time would be a far cry from the action adventure spy stuff we were used to. But, I think I’d have enough faith in the Chucksters of the world.

Comment by Reva – June 14, 2013 11:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post