7 Shows That Should Follow Veronica Mars' Kickstarter Lead (and 3 That Shouldn't)

TV-related prayers really do get answered, or else God just happens to have great taste in brilliant-but-canceled programming.

Yes indeed, hot on the heels of Arrested Development‘s new life on Netflix — and a Friday Night Lights movie script reportedly in existence – Veronica Mars fans on Wednesday took Kickstarter by storm and pledged the $3 million necessary to start production on a film version of the dearly departed CW series.

RELATED | Veronica Mars Movie Meets Fundraising Goal – Check Out Six Possible Big-Screen Plots

With so much good TV mojo in the air, we thought we’d brainstorm a list of seven more shows that could (and should) go the Veronica Mars route — thanks to their cult followings and relatively low budgets — and three that wouldn’t really fit that particular model, mostly because their special-effects and stunt budgets would make the costs unfeasible.

Click through the gallery below, then hit the comments and tell us which TV-show-to-big-screen adaptations you’d support through a grassroots fundraising campaign!

TAGS: , , , ,
GET MORE: Lists, Photo Gallery

1. Mere says:

Gilmore Girls totally, and I so think that Melissa McCarthy would so be there with bells on!!!!!!

2. Michelle says:

Gilmore Girls definitely deserves a movie, not just because it was a great show, but because Amy Sherman-Palladino didn’t get to do the ending, and I know a lot of fans, myself included, were extremely disappointed in the ending. I know us die hard GG fans are just dying to see how AS-P had the end played out in her head!

3. So not only do we have to continue to pay higher and higher and higher movie ticket prices (with a 3D surcharge on top of that of course) but now have to fund the movies as well? This is opening the door to a terrible future.

4. ABBY says:

I think VM may have made this whole kickstart thing look too easy, the reality is I can imagine that they have had to get a lot of ducks in line for this to even be possible.

- This wouldn’t have been possible if the people behind VM weren’t passionate about their show, I’m not saying there aren’t other shows that still have writers and actors that are passionate but in some cases these people now have a lot of other commitments and going back to revisit just might not be possible for them (and some of them simply won’t be interested in doing so).
    - And the cast have to not only be able/willing to return but they have to feel passionate enough about their old show to do it for low pay. Considering they were only aiming for $2 mil I think it’s safe to say the stars were in for peanuts.
    - Then if/when you get the stars on board you actually have to manage to work round peoples schedules so you can find a time they are all available to film it
    - Then they will need to get cooperation from whoever owns the show for the rights.

I think a lot went into bringing this to the point where they could promise fans a film would be made if they could pony up the money and I think while not impossible it will be hard for other shows to replicate.

5. Zachary says:

The Tick. And while it’s virtually impossible and highly improbable, I’d love an Andy Barker PI movie.

6. Dylan says:

Charmed. Desperate Housewives. Friends. Malcolm In The Middle. Angel.

• Casey Rae Jeffers says:

With bones approaching it’s final season , DB might up to it. Yay!!

I’ve love to find out what happened in that alley and to see the old gang again.

I’d also to see Angel turn human and eat cookies. Lots of delicious cookies and Cookie dough fudge mint ice cream.

R.I.P Glenn Quinn and Andy Hallett. :(

7. RIckOnce says:

quantum leap
    the pretender
    profit

8. bjwanlund says:

Hmm… I’m going to go with a Will & Grace reunion movie, a Mama’s Family movie to wrap that storyline up and give us all a “what happened after the syndicated finale?” movie, and another old chestnut of a show, Sports Night. yes, Sports Night. I think Aaron Sorkin would totally do a Sports Night movie that was good, especially since he writes really, really good movies.

9. Jill says:

I would like to have a My So-called life movie. (even if Claire Danes is significantly older now )

10. RIckOnce says:

a dallas’ movie written by Aaron Sorkin in a young jr

11. RIckOnce says:

A movie on original BSG

12. RIckOnce says:

a jericho’s movie

13. RIckOnce says:

and John Doe? I want a end

14. Msi says:

Terriers-but the funding should go towards another season not a feature. This was damn near small screen perfection.

(and really? Firefly wasn’t on this list)

15. sara says:

I would love to see a Breakout Kings movie! The way they left it was torture, must know if they turned on him in order to get released from prison right then and there or if they had his back in the end

• Msi says:

What a great ensemble cast. I missed them the second the last season ended. Definitely gone before it’s time & deserving of closure!

16. AT says:

Yes to Freaks and Geeks, Gilmore Girls and Pushing Daisies. On top of that I would add MOONLIGHT (same producer as Veronica Mars, also WB connected, Jason Dohring, etc…), DARK ANGEL, JERICHO and ROSWELL. It would be kind of cool to see what’s happened in the “future” to the Roswell characters since we already saw a possible future in one of the episodes. Would Max need to go back in time again to change things? Or will the little changes they made make a difference? That said, I’m thrilled about the Veronica Mars movie.

• RIckOnce says:

If Cameron wants a movie on dark Angel. He would not need of kickstarter. Hollywood people ‘ld borrow him money.

17. JAMANDAFAN says:

Wonderfalls!!

18. OnceFan316 says:

I don’t think Buffy needs a Kickstarter however there is one Joss Whedon show I can think of that could do this.

FireFly

19. Lindsey says:

YES, A MILLION TIMES YES TO TERRIERS. A wrap-up film would be perfect. Heck, I’d even be happy with a Kickstarter project just to get a DVD release. What a criminally underrated show.

I’d also pay good money for a Pushing Daisies or Wonderfalls movie! (I liked the Dead Like Me movie for the closure it provided, even if it wasn’t up to par with the actual show itself.)

I was one of the Chuck fans that ate at Subway all the time back in the day, but the show was brought back for an entire half-season wrap-up. I don’t see what more could come from that. Same goes for Fringe… I loved it, but it received a proper ending and it’s time to let it go.

20. james says:

Terriers!!!

21. benny says:

The O.C., One Tree Hill, Dawson’s Creek, Friday Night Lights.

22. Val says:

I would love to see a FlashForward movie. That was great until it was cancelled had no closure or anything.

Would love a Chuck ending. Didn’t love or hate the finale but expected so much more and wanted more.

Gilmore Girls needs to happen.

23. luke says:

NORTHERN EXPOSURE

24. Leah says:

FRINGE! FRINGE! FRINGE!

• hana says:

Come on! Fringe just ended. Let it alone for a while. Also, Fringe deserves better than some little $2 million Kickstarter budget.

25. Ryan Hack says:

I think some of the Sci Fi shows like Buffy could do for a Kickstart for an animated direct to Blu movie.

26. S says:

UGLY BETTY! Oh my god, that would be a GOOD movie. I miss that show so much. There is so much they didnt do on the show and so much they didn’t delve into.

27. shirkc says:

I would love an Alphas movie. The series finale was crap. I also don’t think it wouldn’t cost that much. Just keep the special effects to a minimum.

28. Sara! says:

FRIENDS! I always though they would make the movie :(

29. shirkc says:

*would. Sorry my brain is dead.

30. Jack Parry says:

Stargate Atlantis? Stargate Universe? Anyone?

• RIckOnce says:

It’s a good possibility with SG-1′s third movie. I hope only that the new movies’ld be better that the first two movies oof SG-1. The second wasn’t interessing.

• JC says:

I would definitely support the Atlantis movie (especially one that brought Torri Higginson back although I’m pretty sure that wasn’t in the plans). Can’t see it ever happening though. And if there was ever to be more Stargate, I strongly suspect Brad Wright and co. would support their third SG-1 movie over the Atlantis movie. But I doubt either will ever happen now.

Side note: If I’m not mistaken, there were scripts written for both movies before everything fell through. The Atlantis movie was going to be Stargate Extinction and the SG-1 movie was going to be Stargate Revolution.

31. RIckOnce says:

The first season of SGU was boring. The second season was better but akways boring.

32. Ron Haras says:

Actually it was not 3 million dollars it was 2 million needed to pledge to get things started gor Veronica Mars Movie.

33. Tater says:

Again I say KickStarter yes for CHUCK….And I want to add My Name Is Earl (The fans still need closure atleast for Crabman), They are many others, but for me these two are in front of the pack as of right now.

34. Eliza says:

Yes, gimme, gimme, gimme a Pushing Daisies and Wonderfalls movie!!!

35. Casey Rae Jeffers says:

Never saw the appeal for gilmore girls….always thought it was overrated and extremely unfunny. It stayed on for like 1
    0 years and there is no need for a movie.

Why isn’t harry’s law or Journeyman or Dirty sexy money or moonlight or American Dreams or even the dead zone on this list?

Those were perfectly intelligent shows that got canned too soon and never got a shot at closure. They actually need movies.

Actually most of the shows that got canned because of the 2007 writer’s strike deserve a movie or a mini-series to close things up.

You know like Raines and Lipstick Jungle and Valentine and notes from the underbelly.

The only real movie that i would want from a kickstarter campaign is Ghost Whisperer.

That was my friday night delight for 5 years and i never got to find out what happened to the people in the basement.

I’d donate to a campaign that would give me Melinda and her crazy unexpected friends just one more time.

Now as much as I love buffy, there isn’t a need for a movie. Maybe a 6 hour miniseries on HBO or a reboot based on Connor’s life after NFA…but not a movie.

36. Rachael says:

I don’t know, I think a Fringe movie could work IF it picked up in the Alternate Universe. I always wanted a spin off of the Alt Fringe Team with FauxLivia, Charlie, and Lincoln. That wouldn’t really work for a movie, but you could have one set on the other side right after they closed the bridge in S4. How did FauxLivia and BlueLincoln end up together with a kid like we saw them all those years later in the S5 finale. I agree with your reasons why a Blue Universe movie wouldn’t work right now, but we’ve had over a year to miss the Red Universe, so I say it’s time!

37. Spencer says:

I’m shocked there isn’t more love for Freaks and Geeks in the comments. That show was incredible.

38. HitTheGroundRunning says:

If any show is out there that still desperately needs this it is Terminator:The Sarah Connor Chronicles!
    They had such an amazing S3 planned and sooooo ridiculously much was left hanging at the sudden cancellation after S2.
    They might be able to at least bring it to some decent closure and show off some of the amazing that would have been with an extra long 4hr long blu-ray movie.
    The tricky thing is the cost. It probably cost 3-4x as much per episode. You might at least 20million to make them even think about it?? Maybe they could shorten it and manage to cheapen VFX a bit though.

39. Is there anything wrong with a happy ending? Everyone on Chuck got theirs, except for the title character. It was blatantly unfair to, as I quote the shows writer ( leave it to the fans imagination). So many of who stuck by the show and bought Subway sandwiches and signed petition every year, deserved better. Same can be said of Gilmore Girls since Lorelai and Luke didn’t get their just do ( and neither did the JavaJunkies!).

• I don’t think it’s cruel to make people think and use their imaginations, but I guess in today’s society where most people let other people think for them brain atrophy is a real problem…

• Alan says:

in our culture of instant gratification it seems to be a bad thing to leave things open to interpretation, something i think is crazy since the best works always have different interpretations, it becomes more personal because its your ending and those are the ones that stick longer in the memory. i still love how chuck ended and wouldnt want to have that story continued because it would ruin it.

40. D says:

No Ordinary Family and Terra Nova

41. Original DoctorM says:

I think the important point is someone else owns the film rights to Buffy. It’s why the original film wasn’t as Joss-y as you’d expect, it’s why it was followed by a TV series not another movie, and why we almost got a Joss-less reboot film a few years back.

The movie is impossible since he doesn’t appear to be on good terms with the rights holders. The best we can hope for is a TV movie or a spin-off… I vote VOCALLY for a Frey movie.

42. forthelove says:

Pushing Daisies!! I thought of it immediately yesterday with the success of VM (yay!) – my two fave under-rated shows of all time. A huge second to Freaks & Geeks too, though. That would SELL, probably not need a kickstarter if you got all those now-big-names in.

43. Allyson says:

I want a Gilmore Girls movie!!! I want to see Rory, Lorelai, Luke, Sookie and all of the townies again! I would love to see a Luke/Lorelai wedding and them with a baby or 2!!!! That show wasn’t given the proper send off it deserved! I am sure Lauren and Alexis would agree to it!! I am sure Melissa would find a way in her schedule to do it!

44. Lilu says:

DOOOD WHAT ABOU FIREFLY?!?! ARE YOU NUTS?

45. Original DoctorM says:

Not one call for a _Middleman_ movie!? I’m pretty sure they made the entire first season for less than $2 million.

Javier Grillo-Marxuach has this on his radar, but only if MM can beat Buck Rogers in io9′s March Madness.

46. Ally Oop says:

A show I’ve always wanted more of is Dark Angel. Loved Jessica Alba and Jensen Ackles in it.

47. Crixus says:

Persons Unknown?

48. keith says:

Gilligans island!

49. Liz says:

- ROSWELL!! I want some Max & Liz!
    - Gilmore Girls of course!
    - Quantum leap, to see Sam happy & home
    - Stargate SG1, to see Sam & Jack FINALLY together.