The Veronica Mars Movie Kickstarter Campaign: Don't You Dare Feel Bad About Chipping In

VeronicaMars_SadSometime between 10:30 am Wednesday — when the Veronica Mars movie Kickstarter campaign was announced — and 11 am, something unfortunate, but perhaps inevitable, happened. People started getting kicked for kicking their money in.

What started off as a celebration of the impassioned TV fan turned into a condemnation of those who, I like to think, have a say in how their own money gets spent.

Hell, even I was left to feel “dirty” about writing a story about it, the outcry, criticisms and finger-wagging blogging came flowing so hard. But in the end, as I donated my $[SPOILER] just minutes before the tote board ticked past the important $2 million mark, I achieved peace with my pledge.

RELATED | 25 Shows You Want Remade or Revived Right Now!

Wouldn’t that money have been better donated to a charity? This was an early refrain from those who questioned this Kickstarter project. First speaking for myself: I donate throughout the year to assorted medical research and animal welfare causes. I also chipped in for the “loftier” Showrunners documentary’s Kickstarter campaign (as well as to the fundraiser for the way-cool Spike keyboard for iPhone). And who’s to say that a meaningful portion of the tens of thousands of Veronica Mars backers don’t also give to worthy causes, to the extent they are able or willing? No one ever went to bed feeling better about themselves because they spent their day assuming the worst about humanity.

But perhaps the most echoed criticism came in the form of: Why are you donating your hard-earned money to get a studio film made? When Warner Bros. will kick back and reap any profit?

The short answer: Because this was a time for the little guy to make a difference.

RELATED | Veronica Mars Movie Meets Fundraising Goal: We Suggest 6 Possible Big-Screen Plots

Television is an impactful medium. Quality and/or ambitious shows get cancelled too quickly, far too often. (People are even mourning Zero Hour, after two episodes.) And 99 percent of the time, once the Nielsen Ratings Gods have spoken, we are left to do nothing, to feel without resource.

But this time… this time, the little guy was heard. Some 30,000 people who will never brush up blurbagainst celebrity, Regular Joes who will not once see their name in an end credits crawl, were afforded — and passionately seized — the opportunity to produce a piece of entertainment. I ask: When does that ever happen?

Movie studio executives greenlight any and whatever projects they like, and in this instance, Veronica Mars: The Motion Picture simply was not going to happen. Yet when put in the hands of the fans (and their friends) who have steadfastly and long-anticipated this unlikelihood, that excited mob rallied to secure their piece of happiness.

A lot of the time, the Internet is used to tear things down. To mock Smash, to snark about red carpet fashions, to hurt. All from the cozy, oft-anonymous comfort of everyone’s couches.

For 10 thrilling hours on Wednesday, though, 30,000 strangers banded together online to create something.

No, the Veronica Mars Kickstarters will never see even a fraction of a back-end point if the movie happens to turn a profit. But they will smile knowing that they were a part of something rather historical. A gone-too-soon series was plucked from the ashes not by a struggling network anxious to plug a scheduling hole, but by the very people who loved and were left to mourn it. Stand on a soap box and question the dissemination of discretionary income all you want, but do not dare rob other people of their self-defined joy.

1. Skyfan says:

If you don’t want to have a say in how your money gets spent, pay more in taxes!

2. Richie says:

I was so happy to help it. Its something i like, so i spend MY money on it. I live in brazil, so i’ll hardly will see it in the theathers… But i’ll see it.
    And the best part is, everyone will do their best( kristin b. Rob t. ) so, no matter what is a win – win for me :)

3. Zan says:

I did want to chip in as well, but it excludes people from outside the US. Not cool :(

4. Kerri says:

Frankly, with the amount of crap Hollywood has been churning out in the last few years, why shouldn’t fans have a say in what is produced. We watched as VM hit the $2m mark.

5. Michael Greenwaldt says:

BRAVO! So sick of the backlash!

6. krystan says:

I don’t feel bad for donating at all!! I would have spent the $50 buying VM swag anyways, why not do it a year in advance? The show ended way too soon and the finale was filled with questions. My husband is a huge fan as well, and he was thrilled to donate. We donate to charity as well, but this was something that we could see the results. This is important to so many and people shouldn’t judge what they don’t understand. From what I understand the actors are working for next to nothing, if anything, and WB is only paying for ads and distribution. I consider it money well spent.

7. Diane Raetz says:

I donated and I wasn’t a huge Veronica Mars fan–but I would have killed to have another 90 minutes with the Buffy or Angel gang. I’m more than happy to throw my $25 to support a change in how films are made.

And for the record-I donate to international aid organizations because no matter how bad we have it-the 3rd world is much much worse.

8. Zeph says:

Didn’t donate, but only because I hadn’t heard about it until today. I certainly would have, though. Just like I donate to a select handful of little known musical groups when they’re fundraising for their latest album. As far as I’m concerned, it’s no different than any other donation for the arts… And yes, for the critics, I also do more than my fair share for charity, thank you. But I have to wonder if they practice what they preach.

9. Matt, I just have two words for you: Nailed it!

10. Emily s says:

I didn’t realize there WERE haters. Most press has been positive, thank goodness. As a (small) backer, I am PROUD to have been involved with the campaign and in the movie getting made. Veronica Mars forever!

11. dsm says:

A lot of people give their hard earned money to Churches and religions – well Veronica
    Mars is one of my very favorite “religions”.

12. Kim Naff says:

Well, let’s also look at the fact that most people bought in at the $35 level and did it for the rewards. (I did, too.) For that, you’re getting updates of what’s going on, a PDF of the shooting script, a t-shirt and a legit copy of the movie when it is STILL IN THEATERS. You’d spend at least that much just buying the merch that you’re getting.

13. Jake says:

I have seen or heard of so many people complaining about the lack of originality in Hollywood. We don’t see enough NEW, and we only ever get something that was “based on the bestselling…” or sequels/prequels. Now haters are gonna hate; but people who don’t understand a movement centered on the goal of resurrecting a forgotten and unfinished story don’t understand the impact that media can have en mass. That is not a language that you can learn, it is spoken through passion…and passion is something that breathes and grows within fans. So regardless of anyones criticisms, fandom WON yesterday. And even more so, yesterday a group of 30,000 people told a studio that they were wrong…and they did so in speaking the language of Hollywood: MONEY.

14. Trista says:

I think those people who were questioning how I spend my money need to get a freaking life. I donate to charity, I tithe and I put money in the little red kettle – so who are these “bloggers” to say that I shouldn’t give my money where and when I want? I am so tired of critics. They are everywhere and generally have very little to say, but what they do say they yell out as loud as they can. This isn’t just about a Veronica Mars movie, this is about the handing over of our media to a bunch of hypocritical, whiny, and pessimistic brats that couldn’t get a job in television or newspaper. Most of them are faceless so they feel free to criticize everyone who isn’t them. PLEASE – tell me again why I should listen to a word you say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Johnny says:

I donated to this almost immediately and here is why.

Get a copy of the movie. Would have cost $20.00 eventually anyway. Get a T Shirt – worth $15.00. Am I marginally overpaying for these items – yes. Is that easily made up for by the fact I’m supporting a show I loved – absolutely.

Anyone who has followed the show in earnest knows the intentions here are good. People chiming in to critize may not understand this at all, which is fair.

I also donate to charity and we also go out to eat at restaurants, buy books, games etc…which is entirely beside the point and inconsequential to this situation.

16. Lori says:

I work for a non-profit and my job relies on donations from kind-hearted individuals, and even I kicked in for the Veronica Mars movie. Do I wish my organization had the passionate and generous fan support that Veronica Mars has? YES! Do I begrudge anyone for spending their hard-earned money on getting a movie made over saving the whales? No. It’s their money. Would you go up to someone in the check-out line at the grocery store and explain that they don’t NEED that bottle of wine, send the $15 to starving children? No? Then leave the Veronica Mars backers alone. Sometimes we spend money on things that make us happy.

I thank you, Matt, for writing this. You’ve put into words (much better than I could) exactly what I was thinking yesterday when I saw all the criticisms pop up. And those who complain about the studio getting the money and not the “investors,” to that I say – you get really cool rewards (if you’re in the US – sorry international folk, they’re working on it!!!)! I for one cannot wait for my t-shirt!

17. Kate says:

I hadn’t heard any of this backlash, but I think it is interesting that people assume this $2.2million is just going down a hole. 35,000+ people decided to create $2.2M worth of jobs. And not telemarketing, fast food, bottom of the barrel job whose bosses complain about having to pay more than minimum wage. No, this money goes to pay union wages to skilled carpenters, welders, painters, artists, costumers, caterers, musicians, editors, distributors, and actors you’ve never heard of who are struggling to keep a roof over their head. In order to make this film, they will need to buy supplies – wood, steel, cables, cameras, wire, fabric, furniture, clothes, food, cars… Around wherever they shoot, the local businesses will get a boost as cast and crew members grab a bite for lunch or have to pay a rental fee to use the location. And on all of those jobs and goods? They will be paying taxes to our communities, which will pay for firefighters, teachers, and roads. Come time for the film, how many couples will go out to a restaurant beforehand or stop afterwards for a drink somewhere in their local community? When it comes out on DVD, how many stores will make money from selling it and use those profits to pay for their employees? I’d say that the money I used to back this project is money pretty well spent.

18. Beth says:

I donated. Nobody’s going to make me feel bad about if. I love the show & want to see more. Plus I’m getting cool swag out of it!

19. tshuff says:

People are so quick to judge what other people do with their money, not considering that those same people may give to charities as well. When people donate to charity, they don’t go around bragging about it unless they want to get a pat on the back from others in order to feel better about themselves. What we fans did – and will continue to do while the Kickstarter is still open to donations – is show Hollywood that when fans are loyal to a show they love, they will pitch in if offered to make something happen with that lost show. Everyone who gave money to Veronica Mars yesterday knows that is wasn’t an investment in the traditional sense; none of us expect to get a portion of the back end, or to get our money back when the movie makes money later. That wasn’t the point. What we did was give to something we feel passionately about, and having it made is the reward. Giving isn’t about GETTING. I’m happy to be a part of something that will, I think, help change the thinking in Hollywood much in the same way that Joss Whedon did with Dr. Horrible. And no, I don’t think that from this point on studios are going to expect their filmmakers to get their projects funded on their own from fans and then reap the financial benefits. But I do think this will help other projects that the studios don’t think are worthy of their investments. This is a new era of entertainment.

20. Marie says:

Well said!

21. Donal says:

Veronica mars was a much loved and sorely missed show! If I and all the other marshmallows out there want to help bring it back into our lives even for 90 minutes then who has the right to scorn us for that, to many shows are cut short at their prime and for the first time and hopefully not the last we as veiwers and fans have seesed the chance to change that

22. Mr. Clemmons says:

Thanks for this– I saw so many sanctimonious suggestions on twitter that people should donate to charity instead of the VM kickstarter. How is this any different than buying a DVD, CD, or ticket to a website? I am paying for entertainment, albeit down the road. What really annoyed me were tweets from entertainers and comics commenting negatively on the project– these are the same people who advertise their live shows and appear on podcasts that ask for donations. The hypocrisy of entertainers decrying this and then marketing themselves and their work is incredible to me. Why would anyone bite the hands of the paying public?

Also, Veronica Mars is awesome and I’m thrilled that it’s coming back and pleased that I was able to be a tiny part of helping it return.

23. Scribe says:

Hey I donated money to a kickstarter project for a star trek web episode. It only needed a budget of 200 k but it got there and now its in production. Everyone from Walter Koenig, Tim Russ and Robert Picardo was involved. I was glad to put my money into it. Its 25 bucks I would have spent on a DVD except now, I get the DVD on a project I actually wish to see done. Now if the same could be done for the Sarah Connor Chronicles…I’d donate double that!

24. realityengineer says:

re: “No, the Veronica Mars Kickstarters will never see even a fraction of a back-end point if the movie happens to turn a profit”

The reason for that is it would have been illegal for them to easily take investment money in a startup this way. Big companies hate innovative new competitors, so they got politicians to limit the number of investors in a startup, and enact rules that make it easiest to only take money from “accredited investors”, i.e. rich people who fill out paperwork to prove it. In theory there are ways to get a company public like on the stock exchange, but the legal/accounting overhead on that is so vast it isn’t realistically possible. The last change in the process (called Sarbanes Oxley) caused some public companies to exit the stock exchange and to private, and prevented innovative tech companies from going public to raise money to compete with the big players.

They claim the rules are to protect people from investing in scams.. but there are other ways to do it. That argument is a huge scam to protect big companies. The backlash should be against sleazy politicians, not the VM folks that worked within the system they are stuck with.

25. Marisa_once says:

Well sais Matt! For once we’ll get a movie we really want to see instead of whatever soulless comedy of meaningless action movies noone will remember in 5 years. Veronica Mars, that was good and valuable entertainment and still imprinted in our memories 6 years after its end.

26. Viviane Jost says:

I’m not a fan from Veronica Mars but I’m very happy for all of you who love this show. I hope you’ll have enough money.

27. CZj says:

What’s the difference between donating money or the cost to send in items to a network to save a show? Obviously money speaks louder than words! This is probably the only way this would ever get made.
    We have no idea if this will be 90 minutes or 105 minutes or even 120 minutes or longer yet. What hasn’t been discussed is this movie will probably never be in the movie theaters. This is coming from the digital division of WB which produces movies Direct-To-Video and Pay-Per-Video services, so we’ll probably see it on DVD, Blu-ray, digital download and cable rental. Like they made a couple of live-action Scooby-Doo movies DTV but instead of using Kickstarters, they made a deal with the Cartoon Network to have the premiere showing.
    This is probably going to film in late summer with a late first quarter release date next year. Remember Kristen is pregnant so we have to give her time to have her baby and lose the baby weight.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

From the Kickstarter FAQs: “Our goal is to release the movie in early 2014. We intend to release the film theatrically in as many cities and theaters as possible. We’ll also try to prioritize cities where our Kickstarter support is coming from. And all Kickstarter backers above $35 will get their digital copies within a few days of the film’s theatrical release.”

28. Jj says:

How about this. It’s none of your business where I, or anybody else spends their money!! Good for all those people who chose to do something for themselves as fans. Also, it’s nobody’s business if any of you do, or do not donate to charities!
    To all you judgmental naysayers: Hope you enjoy being that bitter!

29. londonschilling says:

All I want to know is can we get it to 3M so Rob Thomas doesn’t kill Back-Up? Or the Bitch he was seeing ;) Seriously though I agree. It is my right to donate where ever I see fit. This donation I made to VM won’t stop me from donating to my usual causes like stopping wolf killings or juvenile diabetes research or hell smaller indie film projects my friends use kickstarter for. I really do see it as a F-U to WB for thinking VM fans wouldn’t rise to the challenge.

30. Lizzie says:

Screw the ney sayers or people that have “better ideas”, if your ideas worked, it woulda already happened. So, you wanna say the money should have gone to charity? Well, the US people donate up to 300 Billion dollars annually to the US and other countries. Almost 300 BILLION dollars. We are the most charitable nation. Folks need to back the truck up, IMO, and just let these fans be happy. I am thrilled for you guys! Its a new era in film making, I swear to god.

31. Better spent donated to charity?

People must be very, very naive when it comes to most established charities. They don’t truly get the money where it’s needed in the format it’s most needed. Also, many- such as the Salvation Army- use donations to advance their own political agendas, such as (in SA’s case)- anti-abortion, which goes 100% against my pro-woman’s-right-to-choice stance.

Charities aren’t impressive, nor do they automatically make one a better person. However, you want to make a difference in someone’s life? Well, one major way to do that is to provide someone with an escape from reality that is vital to their survival in our horrific reality. I have had crippling anxiety disorder for 21 years. I only survive due to computer gaming- it’s the only thing that truly let’s me escape reality, thus the only thing that reduces my anxiety to “normal” levels (about 10x that of an average, highly stressed person).

Those capable of paying in to provide a movie from a beloved franchise that will give so many relief- even for a few hours- from the nightmare of our existence are doing a far greater service than those wasting monies on charities that won’t even truly help the same people in need. (Despite being unable to work for ten years now, I have been consistently denied aid on all fronts, proving the charity system a laughing stock.)

Bravo to the kickstarter campaign, and so glad to see Veronica Mars get the movie it should have always had.

32. leo says:

They are trying to change crowdsourcing so that people can get a cut of the profits. One day we will be able to get more than movie scripts and t-shirts. But I hope Hollywood does take notice of this. There are so many actors, directors and writers who get lost in the shuffle and $2 million would be more than enough to fund their projects. It’s good to know that a new alternative funding stream exists so that maybe we can see movies made that aren’t for 14 y.o. boys once in awhile.

And by the way, I am sure I am not the only person who coughed up their small donation from their entertainment budget. Any non-profit giving I plan on this year won’t be affected.

33. David says:

I never watched Veronica Mars. I tried when it started back up on Soapnet but didn’t have the time to dedicate to watching it so I just never got around to it. But I am very happy for everyone that did follow the show. I think this is great that they ended up doing this and it’s totally worth the money to bring back a favorite show under these circumstances. I would certainly donate to a show that I had a connection with. Good for you all and don’t let people get you down!

34. Dennis says:

it’s your money spend it how you want. people can do whatever with their own money and if they have something to say about how i spend the money i earn, i would say what they can go do to themselves but my post would get deleted. it’s your money do what you want with it and ignore the idiots

35. Amy says:

So well put. I couldn’t agree more. We fans vote with our dollars all the time – albums, concert tickets, sporting events – why not movies and TV shows.

36. onlyakb says:

I’ll be simple, I’m just happy the movie is getting finally made!! + I love that fans helped!!!=)

37. rachelle says:

People need to stop judging other people for how they are spending their OWN money. If I’m EVER lucky enough to witness a Pushing Daises Kickstarter, I’m gonna be all over it!!

38. AT says:

Well said! I don’t see how contributing the amount of money you can afford, or feel fit to do, is any different than buying a movie ticket, a DVD, or anything else that gives you entertainment. The old proverb says it best: Empty vessels make the most noise.

39. Tina B. says:

Thank you Matt! I never once felt guilty about kicking in for VM, I would do it again for any show I love this much. Thank you for the beautiful things you said and I love banding together with my fellow marshmallows(whether they kicked in or not) and celebrating that we made a difference and got what we wanted FINALLY!

40. … Why has no one remembered Serenity? Or as the massive fanbase of Whedonites and Browncoats called it, the “Big Damn Movie”? We made history already, way before Kickstarter had a tag.

I’m not putting this down, it’s awesome, and I love to see fandom standing up for itself… but um, it’s not history-making, because we did that already.

• Marie says:

I wasn’t aware fans paid for Serenity? I thought the studio and (maybe) Joss Whedon did. If it’s the same, can you explain how the fans put their money into it? I have never heard that. Thanks

41. Sara says:

Matt, you have summed up the feelings of many Veronica Mars fans in this article. I donated money in order to get a complete ending for characters that I love. For the rest of my life, I get to say that I played a part (however small in the grand scheme of things money donated) in finishing this story. I got to tell the studios that we fans matter. No online trolls are going to take that away from me.

42. tracy robinson says:

I joined in and gladly donated just after 11am yesterday. I loved the show and have no problem chipping in to get a film off the ground. I too donate to good causes and can choose to spend my hard earned cash wherever I wish. Really looking forward to the film!

43. Holly says:

Your article is spot on, Matt. The supporters of Veronica Mars have spoken!

44. david says:

I see it a clear cut. If you are a fan you have an option to make the movie come true.there is no discussion “oh lets make few more episodes” its take it or leave it, If you don’t want to give money then don’t. Some people get a good feeling from helping this come true and there are people who will always look at the glass as half empty. I think it was worth the amount i did to donate for it!!

45. VM says:

Exactly! Great column Matt!
    And for all the stuff about donating to kids in Africa or to environmental organizations or for medical research:
    1. Who said that everyone who put money toward this doesn’t also do that? What makes you think most don’t? Who is to say many haven’t given a greater percentage of discretionary funds than the haters themselves?
    2. Maybe they vote for candidates who do more to help protect the environment and further medical research and science in general or help to bring health care to all than some of the haters?
    3. What about all these people bitching and the time they bought a 55″ TV instead of a 40″ or 26″ or no TV at all? What about that second TV they got? The time they spent money to see a Broadway play? A movie? Go to a baseball, football, hockey, soccer, basketball, etc. game? Payed for cable? Bought a blu-ray player? What about the time you bought some organic produce or even something more expensive than some cheap ultra-processed whatever it even is when you could have spent less? What that rug? Video game system? Got a nice camera? Went on vacation? Home theater audio setup? Bought a lawn mower, you coulda cut it by hand? Do any of those acting all holier than thou and getting all hater and obnoxious about it all live on the minimum subsistence and have they taken vows of poverty and do they donate 100% of everything else in excess? No? Then what the heck is there point? None! How the heck is someone tossing out $35 bucks to help see something get made that they’ve so badly want to get made for years get made and to get a copy of it and t-shirt in the process? Heck at many sporting events a jersey alone costs $35 do they go nuts when someone buys a sports jersey? A $500 ticket? $250 on the cheapest of tickets for a whole family plsu parking? At some point if nobody is allowed to do anything for fun or to ever care or get upset over anything but the most dire consequences what would be the point? Then every last person on earth would be unhappy.

• VM says:

And it’s not pure donation. I mean someone pays $35 for a t-shirt, a script and shipping is bad and yet $25 for a t-shirt and $10 for a program at a game is different?

46. Mandy says:

Thanks for this. My brother and sister (both of whom I turned into VMars fans) were pulling out the whole charity line and I said the same thing. I donate to charity. This isn’t charity. It is an investment. It is my way of saying, I want this done. I can donate $10 and then pay another $25 when the DVD comes out. And a Veronica Mars movie is worth more to me than 35 bucks. I have wasted $35 on way more stupid things and no one questioned that.

47. Scott R. says:

I Wouldn’t Use The “Why Not Donate?” Argument, But I Do Think That Kristen Bell, Herself, Should’ve Donated A Sizable Amount To This Project. If She Was A Passionate About This Movie, And Is As Thankful For Her Fans As She Claims, Why Not Start Of The Campaign With A Donation? After Hearing Of The Campaign, Bell Said “I’m In.” She Was The Only Cast Member Of The Original Show To Say This, And I Doubt She Donated Even A Notable Portion To The Campaign. She Has A Net-worth Of About $8-9 Million, And She, And The Studio, Are Going To Be Making Completely Free Money, With No Initial Investment, Whatsoever. I Understand That Fans Will Back Something That They Support, But There’s No Need To Be Completely Foolish.

• RT says:

This has more or less been a passion project for her that she’s been campaigning behind for years. She’s not going to make anywhere near what another film project would pay her. She’s also putting time, autographs, personal phone calls, etc. just to cater to fans, and she’s not getting much back. I think a lot of people are sacrificing for this.

• Scott R. says:

She’s Going To Make A Sizeable Paycheck. And Another Film Project Would Probably Pay Her More, But That’s Only If She Could Book One. And Pre-Recorded Phone Calls Are Not Very Time Consuming. Her Agent Will Be Handling The Autographs. Either Way, Bell Will Be Making It Out With A Hefty Profit, With Close To No Investment In A Project That She’s ‘Passionate’ About.

• VM says:

I think she is going to make the minimum allowed wage and that is that. It’s not like it will take 8 hours days for weeks to do all the stuff of course but at least get it straight about the rewards. You really think they will get away with their agents signing for them? And they are not robo-dialed pre-recorded phone calls being sent out, where did you get that from?

• Scott R. says:

Actors Only Personally Autograph Items, When You Approach Them, In Person. That’s Common Knowledge. And If Considered The Bare Minimum To Be $500,000, Yes, She’ll Make The Bare Minimum. By No Means, Will She Financially Suffering. And Do You Think 10,000 + People Are Going To Get A Personal Phone Call, And Chat With Bell? If You Do, Then You’re Clearly Blinded.

• VM says:

Nobody has said she will be financially suffering because of this and moving out of her nice place in LA and leaving on the street. Anyway isn’t the minimum weekly rate like $3000. That would total up to way the heck less than $500,000.
            Who ever said anything about 10,000 personal phone calls and video chats?? First, that is NOT even what those two categories are actually about. Second, those two were limited to 150 total for the both combined. So I don’t know what you are going on about.

• Scott R. says:

I’m Really Glad That You Know What She Will Be Payed, And What The Going Rate For Movie Roles Is. The Question Is, What Are You Going On About? And You’re Right, It Isn’t A Personal Phone Call. It’s A Pre-Recorded “Thank You” Phone Call.

• VM says:

I don’t know what her exact rate will be, but neither do you despite your almost certainly overblown $500,000 uneducated guess passed off as fact. Come on, if she gets $500,000 he gets $500,000 and then you have kickstarter fees and taxes and all the goodies take a bunch more how do you get that from such a small budget and still make the movie? Is it going to be her on a park bench shot with a used 7D in one take and edited and burned in PowerDirector?
            x
            As for the other stuff, at least take at look into things before spouting off random nonsense and going all honey badger. It’s pretty ironically silly to be calling out people for being clueless when nothing you are talking about ummm…. even exists (other than the movie poster)! I’m pretty sure you’ve never even looked at the kickstarter page (I sure hope not) because nothing you mention is actually on the page! Dude.

• Scott R. says:

Well, I Have No Idea Who “He” Is, But I Can Say That Bell Will Make The Highest Salary, As She Is Practically The Star. Every Actor In The Movie Won’t Make The Same Amount Of Money (Not Sure If You Knew That). Considering Television Shows Are Paying $75,000 + Per Episode (Granted, They Have A Much Bigger Budget) I Don’t Think Bell Is Looking To Break Even On This Project. At The End Of The Day, It’s Business, And She’s Looking To Make It Out With A Profit. And You’re Right, There Is Practically Nothing On The Kickstarter Page; It’s Completely Foggy And Vague. All The Actual Page Mentions Is A Digital Copy For Donations Of $35+. You Basically Have To Piece Together The Details From Multiple Sources. And The ONE Valid Point You Make, Is How Far That Budget Is Going To Stretch. When It’s All Over, The Movie May End Up Looking Like A Quickly Produced Indie Documentary. I Honestly Feel Like Bell Herself (Along With A Few Other Of The Original Cast Members) Should Have Contributed A Sizable Donation. Though There’s No Word If They Did, Or Not, It Can Be Assumed That They Didn’t. That Was My Point.

• VM says:

So much for your theories:
            “Will the poster signatures be real?

Yes. We’re building a couple extra days into every actor’s deal to handle nothing but signing stuff. They know when they sign aboard the Veronica Mars movie that this is part of the deal. Kristen has a great attitude about this, “It’ll be a party! It’ll be fun!” I think the first thousand might be fun. The rest will be the Bataan Death March, but we’re committed. We’re doing it.”
            And everyone is getting paid scale (although some will have hooks to make more if it makes a profit, no guarantee though although it would be nice since me might get blu-rays and more movies then and unless they deals are written beyond solidly the book keeping on many films keeps those sorts of post films cash-ins often super low or non-existent, who knows though). So probably less than 20k base salary even for the biggest stars. It never made sense to talk about 500k base with this sort of budget.

48. RT says:

I didn’t even know there was some kind of online backlash, and I don’t care. Even if I didn’t love the show, I would have donated anyway, just to make a point. The studio has said for years there is no interest in this movie. The people have spoken! :)

49. Lucy says:

To be honest this is a great sort of donation… Not only do you get to say “Hey, my (insert your donation amount here) helped make an honest to goodness movie!” But also, think about how many jobs this movie is going to create. From the guy holding the boom-mike to the caterer you have people who would not have been employed receiving work. You also get to bring joy to countless amounts of people, and I mean can you really put a price on joy?

50. JenD says:

in a world where michael bay can make however many transformer movies he wants to, how is it NOT charity to fund a veronica mars movie??? power to the people!!!