Ratings: Idol Steady, Neighbors Dips to Low

DOUG JONES, SIMON TEMPLEMAN, PATRICK O'SULLIVANNot much to see here, folks, so let’s have at it.

American Idol‘s Top 10 Performance Night on Wednesday drew 13.1 million total viewers — up 2 percent week-to-week — while scoring a 3.6 demo rating (down just two tenths, or 5 percent, on a night when Daylight Savings-impaired TV usage was off 9 percent).

RELATED | TVLine’s 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled?

In second place, Survivor (9.55 mil/2.5) ticked down just a tenth.

Of the lone remaining fresh network fare, Whitney (3.43 mil/1.2) dipped 10 percent and a tenth, while The Neighbors (4.73 mil/1.4) fell 18 percent, hitting a series-low demo.

1. PutAForkInThem says:

All these shows mentioned need to go.
    Sadly, Survivor really jumped the shark with its scripted drama last night!

2. Joe says:

Why don’t you mention that Neighbors was sandwiched in a night full of repeats. ABC sucks

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

It was “sandwiched in a night full of repeats” last week, too. Down is down.

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

ABC is going to be faced with a big question come May [probably a bit sooner] – how valuable is the 8:30 and 9:30 real estate on Wednesday nights, and which comedy show to keep – Neighbors or Suburgatory? They cannot keep both, and both *must* be able to build their own audience, because things will get much tougher next season when (if) they return to another (Wednesday?) night. Ask the fine folks at Happy Endings and Apt 23.

What ABC might consider doing is the next time (if there is one) Neighbors has a new episode, and Middle is in rerun, perhaps ‘flip’ the two for that night, letting Neighbors lead off at 8pm. That way they really control their destiny – they don’t have to rely upon Middle. Then we’ll get a better read on the numbers. The earlier in the evening a show is broadcast, the better the chance of not having to rely on the fate of the shows in front.

Bottom line – How to Live with Parents is coming, as is Family Tools. Live w/Parents I believe can beat the Suburgatory and Neighbors numbers. I think that show will rock – that cast is gold. Family Tools? Perhaps not. ABC also has some pilots in the hopper – three in particular [Pulling, Safe at Home, Divorce:Love Story] that have assembled pretty good teams and might fit well into the ABC Wednesday night flow. ABC is going to need to place at least oneof those pilots in either 8:30 or [both?] 9:30 slot – there’s no other option.

There is one hope here – Friday night? Can Suburgatory and/or Neighbors keep their production costs in line, and move over to Fridays to expand that night? If so, good news for fans. If not, it is going to mighty uncomfortable in May at Up Fronts – someone[s] is not going to be coming back in the fall. That’s really what we’re facing – Neighbors and Suburgatory need to try something soon to break out of the pack on their own.

• elr says:

I really enjoy The Neighbors, but unfortunately cannot watch it live due to scheduling conflicts, I do watch it on demand as soon as I can, though. I don’t watch any of the other ABC Wednesday comedies and wish they would move it to a different night. Although, this is ABC were talking about, so they will probably cancel it instead of trying a new night and time. I will be heartbroken if they cancel The Neighbors, but at this point I’m kind of resigned to it happening. I hope I’m wrong.

3. The Neighbors is the best new comedy along with Go On. It is so underrated! Last night was fantastic! Loved their Brodway song !

4. Sg. Grant says:

Neighbors is one of those shows I DVR, and though I dont usually watch it live, I do enjoy it. I thought the first episode was terrible and expected it to be cancelled immediately. However, it has gotten a lot better. That said, I won’t be too sad if it is cancelled. I will just look at it as a 1off year of mindless entertainment, and probably replace it with whatever comedy ABC airs next year in that time slot, along the lines of Better With You, Don’t Trust the B, and whatever else they have put in those slots.

• David4 says:

I liked Better With You.

However The Neighbors is awesome after the worst pilot episode ever. I think ABC is going to stick it on Fridays and bring back TGIF. Then next year it will get canceled.

• Kim says:

I think it is a very sweet, entertaining show–I would miss it!

5. Rivera says:

Just watched The Americans – which was amazing as usual! Hope they keep up in ratings too! (and yes i know the cable ratings come in later!)

6. David4 says:

Maybe stop stowing “The Neighbors” randomly on a night full of repeats?

7. Ana says:

The Neighbors had the worst premiere episode. I didn’t think it would last beyond a few episodes. But the truth is I find it amusing. I love the ‘wife’ and ‘husband’ uttered with a British accent. It’s a quirky show. I’ve enjoyed even though sometimes they are way over the top. But last nite’s episode was terrible, imo. There was nothing amusing about it. From the kids rebelling to the awful singing and the dumb ‘keep falling on the well’ pranks. I hope they send it to Fridays and not get rid of it altogether.

8. Tran says:

Question: Was this the first time in SURVIVOR history that a castaway has suffer a serious meltdown?

• Dave says:

Sue Hawk had a pretty epic freakout during All-Stars … a few others have had mini-meltdowns … Brandon’s was the first I’ve ever seen where other players seemed genuinely concerned for each others’ safety …

9. Kathleen says:

I absolutely LOVE The Neighbors! It’s a unique, funny, goofy show with a lot of heart and emotion. I hope it can be saved – I think it’s a real gem. Suburgatory is just odd in my opinion, and nothing special.