It's True: The Veronica Mars Movie Is Happening — If We All Chip In, Right Now

Get More: News

Veronica Mars Movie Kickstarter After nearly six years of wishing, hoping and dreaming, Veronica Mars fans can take one final, big-screen trip back to Neptune — provided that everyone chips in to get a feature film follow-up made.

PHOTOS | 25 Actors We Want Back on TV Right Now

As first reported by EW.com, series creator Rob Thomas and frontwoman Kristen Bell have launched a Kickstarter fundraising campaign that, if at least $2 million is collected by April 12, will guarantee the production and distribution of a Veronica Mars movie.

“Kristen and I met with the Warner Bros. brass, and they agreed to allow us to take this shot. They were extremely cool about it, as a matter of fact,” Thomas says on the Kickstarter page. “Their reaction was, if you can show there’s enough fan interest to warrant a movie, we’re on board.

“So this is it. This is our shot,” he stresses.”I believe it’s the only one we’ve got.”

The way Kickstarter works, for the uninitiated: People pledge dollars toward the funding of a project. Depending on the pledge point, “rewards” are available. In this case, $10 gets you a PDF of the shooting script, $25 gets a T-shirt thrown in, with $35 you’ll also get a digital copy of the movie before its limited theatrical release, and so on.

As Thomas notes, if just 80,000 of Mars‘ 3 million viewers chip in the most common Kickstarter pledge of $25, boom — LoVe is in the air!

If $2 mil is raised by April 12– when Bell has a window available to film it — the movie happens. If the goal is not met in time, you are charged not a penny and we say goodbye to Neptune forever. Here’s the direct link for making pledges.

In this video, Bell, Thomas, costars Jason Dohring, Ryan Hansen and Enrico Colantoni give you a taste of how it could be, while explaining the project.

Comments (256)

• I just gave them $10 (I’m not in the US). I hope they arrange something for the international fans, I’m ready to give them my money!

Comment by Dick Whitman – March 13, 2013 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this thing imploded! It’s crazy how fast they raised 1,5M. I lovce the interwebzzz! Next step: Firefly!!!!

Comment by Lilu – March 13, 2013 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m from Italy, and I’ve just donated my ten bucks. Go, Veronica, go!

Comment by Timmy Bauer – March 13, 2013 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Next Kickstarter project: “Twin Peaks -25 years after!”

Comment by Timmy Bauer – March 13, 2013 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The fact that they are able to get these pledges for the show within in a day just shows how devoted fans are and that the studio was wrong to cancel it. Not to mention the new fans the show has garnered in syndication on SoapNet. This could be really big. Of course, they can’t start anything until Kristen has her baby.

Comment by Ronnie – March 13, 2013 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They could have Megan Fox play Veronica mars!!

Comment by JASon – March 13, 2013 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s one interesting piece of starange!!

Comment by JASon – March 13, 2013 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ausiello, are you freaking out like us to this amazing news?!

Comment by Kay – March 13, 2013 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He actually bought the 10,000 pledge, that’s how much he feaked out!!!

Comment by Pérola Cardozo – March 13, 2013 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • freaked*

Comment by Pérola Cardozo – March 13, 2013 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • He didn’t he denied this on twitter.

Comment by ABBY – March 13, 2013 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I AM SO IN!!! *grabs credit card*

Comment by Alia – March 13, 2013 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • can they do this for gilmore girls too lol??

Comment by katie – March 13, 2013 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, please! That would be awesome!

Comment by Lola – March 13, 2013 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We’re at $1,595,817! This is going to happen! I am so happy, I’m actually welling up a little.

Comment by Alia – March 13, 2013 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • $1,628,121!!!

Comment by Alia – March 13, 2013 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • $1,717,993! We’ll hit two million today!

Comment by Alia – March 13, 2013 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t stop watching the pledge numbers go up. I’m sooo happy right now.

Comment by Chris – March 13, 2013 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Here’s hoping Chuck gets a kickstarter fund next! :)

Comment by kavyn – March 13, 2013 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Absolutely CHUCK next…

Comment by Tater – March 14, 2013 12:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bravo for Kirsten “The Real Gossip Girl” Bell. I support Veronica Mars but i put my money on a Buffy movie with the original TV Cast and Joss Whedon behind the camera.

Comment by Fernanda – March 13, 2013 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 1.6 almost 1.7 million! we’re almost there!!!!!!

Comment by Elyse – March 13, 2013 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 1.9 milli

Comment by Elyse – March 13, 2013 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • *1.9 million!!! so excited!

Comment by Elyse – March 13, 2013 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is incredible. I am SO happy! We’re going to Neptune again!

Comment by Lecholls – March 13, 2013 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just made my donation. This is SO gonna happen :)

Comment by Courtney B – March 13, 2013 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • how exciting!!! it looks like they already have quite a bit

Comment by Jennifer – March 13, 2013 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve pledge $35. I can’t wait to see this happen.

Comment by Candice – March 13, 2013 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Less than 80,000 to go.

Comment by Candice – March 13, 2013 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As of right now, $1,871,230.

Looks like we’re getting a V-Ron movie! Woo-hoo!

Comment by Sheldon W. – March 13, 2013 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WOW! This is great just as long as Veronica and Logan end up together please. Also as of right this second it is $1,947,050!

Comment by K. – March 13, 2013 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oops sorry! So what does Ryan say in the video “we don’t all have your _____ f*%$ you money”?? What is the part I can’t figure out??

Comment by CultureVulture – March 13, 2013 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It took a second listen, but I’m pretty sure he said ‘your “When in Rome” f- you money’.

Comment by Kristi – March 13, 2013 06:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And it just ticked over $2 Million, we are funded people, dreams do come true.

Comment by Jason – March 13, 2013 05:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY!YAY!YAY! $2 million!!

Comment by Jane Doe – March 13, 2013 05:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We just hit 2 million!!!

Comment by Jana Wells – March 13, 2013 05:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They did it! I’m so happy!

Comment by Nan – March 13, 2013 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAYY!!!!!!!!

Comment by Elyse – March 13, 2013 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I JUST FINIsHED a VERONICA MARS SEASON 1-3 MARATHON. INSANE TIMING SOOOOO EXCITING

Comment by Megan S – March 13, 2013 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How long ago did they make this video? Why doesn’t Kristen look pregnant?

Comment by Cheryl – March 13, 2013 10:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I go to sleep and wake up and they’ve raised ANOTHER million dollars. Should Arrested Development have done this years ago?

Comment by Deion – March 13, 2013 10:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by HTGRWHOM – March 13, 2013 11:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG this is is going to be SO awesome!!! I can’t wait for this movie to be made. Veronica Mars was my show!

Comment by Alyssa Alphabet – March 14, 2013 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hurrah! At last I got a blog from where I know how to really obtain helpful information regarding my study and knowledge.

Comment by 2 usd mạ vàng – January 5, 2014 10:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post