It's True: The Veronica Mars Movie Is Happening -- If We All Chip In, Right Now

Veronica Mars Movie Kickstarter After nearly six years of wishing, hoping and dreaming, Veronica Mars fans can take one final, big-screen trip back to Neptune — provided that everyone chips in to get a feature film follow-up made.

PHOTOS | 25 Actors We Want Back on TV Right Now

As first reported by EW.com, series creator Rob Thomas and frontwoman Kristen Bell have launched a Kickstarter fundraising campaign that, if at least $2 million is collected by April 12, will guarantee the production and distribution of a Veronica Mars movie.

“Kristen and I met with the Warner Bros. brass, and they agreed to allow us to take this shot. They were extremely cool about it, as a matter of fact,” Thomas says on the Kickstarter page. “Their reaction was, if you can show there’s enough fan interest to warrant a movie, we’re on board.

“So this is it. This is our shot,” he stresses.”I believe it’s the only one we’ve got.”

The way Kickstarter works, for the uninitiated: People pledge dollars toward the funding of a project. Depending on the pledge point, “rewards” are available. In this case, $10 gets you a PDF of the shooting script, $25 gets a T-shirt thrown in, with $35 you’ll also get a digital copy of the movie before its limited theatrical release, and so on.

As Thomas notes, if just 80,000 of Mars‘ 3 million viewers chip in the most common Kickstarter pledge of $25, boom — LoVe is in the air!

If $2 mil is raised by April 12– when Bell has a window available to film it — the movie happens. If the goal is not met in time, you are charged not a penny and we say goodbye to Neptune forever. Here’s the direct link for making pledges.

In this video, Bell, Thomas, costars Jason Dohring, Ryan Hansen and Enrico Colantoni give you a taste of how it could be, while explaining the project.

1. Asya says:

I pledged $25. That’s all I could afford but I think every little bit helps~

2. GS says:

I honestly cannot believe that hard working people are shelling out their hard earned money to get a movie made when the movie industry takes in billions every year and the actors are way over paid. Never watched the show but I wouldn’t donate money to get any movie made since they have way more money than I will ever see. Ridiculous!

• Sam says:

this comment is pretty irrelevant purely because you didn’t watch the show. therefore you just don’t get it.

• ABBY says:

If there goal is to raise 2 mil then I can assure the actors won’t be overpaid for this project, a budget like that doesn’t leave a lot of money for paying the actors luxury salaries.

• Cookie says:

I watched the show and loved it and I agree with you! Kristen Bell could probably cough up $2 million on her own yet ordinary people are financing this project? What the heck?

• Kim says:

You’re right. The main people could probably fund it themselves. The problems there are that what if they make no money on it? Plus they are going to have WB backing, and WB owns the characters and the show. They cannot do it without them. WB will not help with distribution (a huge problem for small and independent films) if they don’t think it is worth the money. This definitely proves interest. I would like to think if it were the final day and the project was just a small amount away from actualization that the principles would close the gap.

• Kc says:

What makes you think KB has the money to do this? do you think she made lots ofmoney on the tv version of VM, or HofL? The handful of movies she made she didn’t make lots of money. Just because she is an actress you assume she makes millions of dollars, when that is likely not the case. Besides all of the people they have to pay out to, managers, agents, etc., she gets even less. Im not saying she is a pauper but let’s be real 2 mil in liquid cash is hard to come by even for more popular and better paid actors. Let’s not forget baby on the way and they certainly aren’t cheap. This is a labor of love for all involved, no one is looking to get rich of this. This is for the fans, if you arent fan don’t contribute, but there are many fans that are willing to chip in for a chance at seeing something they enjoy. Stop raining on everyones parade and go sulk elsewhere.

• Ashley says:

Plus she has a baby on the way! Those things are pricey :p

And as others have said, $2 million to make a movie is quite small so chances are they are pitching in their own money.

• cookie says:

Just because Bell’s movies didn’t make money, doesn’t mean she didn’t rake in the cash. She’s been working steadily in Hollywood for a long time now. She probably has more money than most people who’ve pledged money for this project.

And yeah — she’s having a baby. So what? I’m sure people putting up pledge money have babies too. Everyone has expenses, everyone has kids and bills and mortgages to pay. Not everyone makes Hollywood money.

Don’t get me wrong, I loved VM and I ADORE Kristen Bell. But bottom line, people like Bell and Thomas begging average people for money to make their project seems a little tacky and tasteless to me.

• JASon says:

Plus she’s married to the deusche from PArenthood. They are super rich!!

• Julie says:

It’s not about what the cast makes, etc. The WB has been against this and is the one that wants to see if there’s fan interest, etc.

• Danielle says:

She was also the voice of Gossip Girl. I’m sure she made a pretty decent chunk of change from that. As for her baby, her baby’s daddy is on a prominent show and has been a steady actor in Hollywood for a while now as well. I doubt they’ll have a problem providing for their kid financially.

I’m a huge fan of VMars and very excited about the project, but with the sequester and potential government shutdown this month, my money is staying right where it is.

• ABBY says:

The fans want this movie, I don’t know why people are so offended the Kristen Bell the actress who is probably agreeing to act in this movie for next to nothing isn’t going to pay for it for us.

• Danielle says:

I’m not at all offended that she isn’t paying for it herself, but the idea that she’s hurting for cash is laughable. If other fans want to fund the project, I’m more than okay with that. I think it’s odd to ask fans to fund it and I think WB should have a pretty clear idea on how loyal the fanbase is to the show, actors are still frequently questioned on it, but I have no problem with other people shelling out for it. The only way I’m funding it is through Redbox or Netflix though.

• Sara says:

Kristen Bell and Rob Thomas have offered to pay for it for years. The studio would not accept it. The studios want to see that there is a fan interest in the movie, hence the fan campaign. It is actually a brilliant move on Rob and Kristen’s parts to finish the story. I mean, most of us fans would buy the movie anyway, why not donate the money directly to the movie instead of paying it to amazon, or walmart, or target, or some music/movie stores to purchase it?

• Drew says:

You contribute to the production of movies that you will never have an interest in seeing, every time you go to the theater or buy a DVD. Where do you think that money goes? The people who contribute to this are contributing to a movie they actually want to see, and will be getting scripts, t-shirts, copies of the movie, etc. in return.

Who’s the chump in this scenario?

• Kim says:

Not every person in Hollywood has that kind of money. Recall that Kevin Smith financed his first film on loans and credit cards. It was a hit and he made it big, but many other small film makers are not successful because they dont’ find a niche, they don’t find backing, or they don’t find distribution. Sure, Hollywood movies and stars are huge moneymakers, but that doesn’t mean they would be anywhere without fan support. And most movie makers will tell you the story of how they started, being similar to the story I mention above. It’s all about a dream. We aren’t supporting Hollywood and it’s opulence. We are supporting a show with a cast that we loved. There would be no Hollywood if there were no fans.

• Lilu says:

AND NOT A SINGLE F*CK WAS GIVEN

3. jay says:

The begging video is worth $10 on its own. Lets get this made.

4. Pam says:

I just donated and cannot wait to see Enrico Colantoni again. He is my secret crush. Go Veronica Mars!

5. Line says:

so, can we make a Gilmore Girls movie happen the same way?

• Marie says:

only if the creator and actors are actually interested in pursuing it, as the VM ones are.

• Cookie says:

A Gilmore Girls movie will happen over Lauren Graham’s cold, dead, embalmed body.

• ABBY says:

I think they only reason this is happening is because the people involved with the show (RT, KB , etc) are passionate about it and are willing to make it on the cheap. $2 mil is a very small budget for a film so I’m guessing everyone involved his agreed to work for cheap.

• DoctorWhoFanatic! says:

Stop stealing VM’s thunder. Take your Gilmore Girl fanning somewhere else! VERONICA MARS! VERONICA MARS!

• ABBY says:

Lauren Graham tweeted support for this project and added that GG should have thought of it.

6. ABBY says:

Wow I’m impressed how fast that number keeps rising since I donated less than an hour ago I think they’ve raised another $100000. I’m starting to get that this could really happen!

7. Sarah Wilson says:

Just made my pledge of $25. Come on everyone give give give so we can conclude the veronica mars story and giv eit an ending it deserves!

8. Lisa says:

I did my share – pledged $100 :-)

9. yuki says:

As a broke college student I just pledge the $35. I figured I’ll just buy the actually movie when it released.

10. Josh says:

Nearly at $500,000! If it reaches that, that means 75% more! Still a lot! Tell all your Veronica Mars friends about this! The more who knows the better. Every dollar counts!

11. wi says:

wow, even when international audience WANTS to give our money, USA copyright laws still prevent us. talk about missing the chance. And the point.

• The first nine reward levels are now available to Kickstarter donors in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the UK.

12. Kim says:

It’s important to support this if you are a fan for so many reasons, and even if you’re not a fan, but just a fan of TV shows that get cut off way too early. This could very well revolutionize the way things are done. Kevin Smith visited fan sponsorship back when he was doing Red State, but at the time it didn’t seem a legal and viable option (if I recall, don’t quote me). The important think about this is that it shows that the networks were wrong. If all this time later, what, six or seven years?, fans are willing to come forward and fund a movie, maybe they will take fans into consideration more in the future. Even if it is only a few dollars, show your support. Another consideration, however unlikely, is that the movie launch will gain fans, and who knows, maybe we will have sequels, or a VM 2.0 tv series. You never know. Most importantly, though, I believe this could change things in the best way possible for fans. Not to mention that it opens VM up to the mainstream movie goer. This is one time where your voice (by way of your wallet) truly counts!

13. robinepowell says:

Can people outside the U.S. donate to this great and wonderful cause?

• ABBY says:

Yes the donation takes you to amazon and your details for amazon.co.uk (assuming you have an account) work for amazon.com as well so nothing stops you donating however you won’t get the swag their giving for donating because it’s US shipping only.

14. RS says:

WOW. I’ve never even seen this show (nor do I have any interest in doing so), but I want to pledge just because this looks like such a great thing for its fans.

15. yb says:

half a million in less than 2 hours…… this seems promising

16. Trista says:

Just donated – this is amazing. Spread the word people!!!!!!!!!

17. Lisa says:

Just checked the site – they are already over $560,000 :-)

18. Corinne says:

Pledged $50! I’m a broke college student and it’s all I can spare! A Ramen diet for the next couple of weeks will be worth it!

19. Heather says:

Totally Donated, lets hope we actually get LoVe in the end though rather than the lame ending we had in season 3.

20. Mikael says:

I pledged $35. I am so excited that it’s already 1/4 of the way to the goal after just a few hours. And I pray that they forget that Piz ever happened.

21. $651,759 already. I’m seriously going to cry tears of joy when they announce it. Not to mention, they have until the middle of April to keep raising. Probably enough for a sequel. ;)

22. DreamRose311 says:

They could not only be the highest movie category on kickstarter, but also reach that goal in a single day. Amazing.

23. Rober says:

That’s very good news!
    Now I want a movie for True Calling, too.

24. Krystan says:

I will be donating, but I would really like to see that Vinnie VanLowe will be back. As slimey as he was, Ken Marino is one of my faves and I would love to see him back.

25. ' says:

I’m giving more one or two hours to get on the first million. Surreal!

26. ggny says:

Its gonna make it + a extra 2 million is my guess. Its already at 800k

• ABBY says:

I definitely think it will make it to it’s goal, not sure how much over it will go though because regardless of the fact a larger budget will help make a better movie I think a lot of people who plan to donate might not bother if when they get to the donation page it’s already over it’s goal and going to get made anyway. Just a theory hopefully I’ll be proven wrong.

27. Jessica says:

I am definitely donating!

28. Sara says:

SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!! That’s really all I have to say about it. AHHHHHH!!!!!

29. ggny says:

I want to see a video with the rest of the cast. Tina,Percy and Francis. It wouldnt be the same Veronica Mars without them 3

30. Arie says:

They should do a media tour to help promote the Kickstarter project. Also, if the movie gets funded, they should go to this summer’s San Diego Comic Con!

31. Chicago Dan says:

Amazing $900K in how many hours?

32. Deesha says:

can UK people get the $10 reward of the pdf script?

33. ScarlettH says:

Hmm maybe this can happen with Chuck as well?

34. Francine says:

Just went and donated 35 dollars :).

35. c0rinne says:

Wow, they’re almost at $1mil.

36. Deion says:

Almost a million before the 1st day is out!

37. Anna says:

Almost at $1,000,000 on the first day! I am sooooo excited about the VM movie!

38. jenny says:

$1Mio !!! Only $1Mio to go !!!

39. ggny says:

Fastest ever to 1 Million. Come on that has to say something to the WB about Canceling and not funding the movie

40. Drew says:

1,000,000!!! Woohoo!

41. Alex says:

Over $1Mil now. A lot of the big ticket items have been claimed too, speaking roll, some of the namings, all of the minor red carpet ones as well.

42. Win says:

Fastest Kickstarter to reach 1 million!

43. Gerald says:

So excited. I hope Mac, Piz and Duncan are in it also. Never really been a LoVe shipper. I’d be okay if that ended somehow. I’d Pledge.

44. UGLY BETTY needs this treatment!

45. JASon says:

Freaks and Geeks High School Reunion 1990 Movie!!!!

46. mandy says:

Half way there in 4 hours!!!!! SO excited that we will most likely get to see LoVe again!!! :) :)

47. Sg. Grant says:

Over half way there in a very short time.

48. Gem says:

This is crazy. We’ve already raised $1,288,240 and it only started this morning. Veronica Mars movie here we come!

49. I Heart Damon Salvatore says:

We’ve passed 1.3 million in less than a day! We could end up funding a complete VM revival series in thirty!

50. McKenzie says:

Rob Thomas tweeted that they’re working to get the international issue fixed, so all the international fans, donate, too!

It’s already at $1.3 million and it hasn’t even been one day!!!