It's True: The Veronica Mars Movie Is Happening — If We All Chip In, Right Now

Get More: News

Veronica Mars Movie Kickstarter After nearly six years of wishing, hoping and dreaming, Veronica Mars fans can take one final, big-screen trip back to Neptune — provided that everyone chips in to get a feature film follow-up made.

PHOTOS | 25 Actors We Want Back on TV Right Now

As first reported by EW.com, series creator Rob Thomas and frontwoman Kristen Bell have launched a Kickstarter fundraising campaign that, if at least $2 million is collected by April 12, will guarantee the production and distribution of a Veronica Mars movie.

“Kristen and I met with the Warner Bros. brass, and they agreed to allow us to take this shot. They were extremely cool about it, as a matter of fact,” Thomas says on the Kickstarter page. “Their reaction was, if you can show there’s enough fan interest to warrant a movie, we’re on board.

“So this is it. This is our shot,” he stresses.”I believe it’s the only one we’ve got.”

The way Kickstarter works, for the uninitiated: People pledge dollars toward the funding of a project. Depending on the pledge point, “rewards” are available. In this case, $10 gets you a PDF of the shooting script, $25 gets a T-shirt thrown in, with $35 you’ll also get a digital copy of the movie before its limited theatrical release, and so on.

As Thomas notes, if just 80,000 of Mars‘ 3 million viewers chip in the most common Kickstarter pledge of $25, boom — LoVe is in the air!

If $2 mil is raised by April 12– when Bell has a window available to film it — the movie happens. If the goal is not met in time, you are charged not a penny and we say goodbye to Neptune forever. Here’s the direct link for making pledges.

In this video, Bell, Thomas, costars Jason Dohring, Ryan Hansen and Enrico Colantoni give you a taste of how it could be, while explaining the project.

Comments (256)

• I pledged $25. That’s all I could afford but I think every little bit helps~

Comment by Asya – March 13, 2013 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I honestly cannot believe that hard working people are shelling out their hard earned money to get a movie made when the movie industry takes in billions every year and the actors are way over paid. Never watched the show but I wouldn’t donate money to get any movie made since they have way more money than I will ever see. Ridiculous!

Comment by GS – March 13, 2013 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • this comment is pretty irrelevant purely because you didn’t watch the show. therefore you just don’t get it.

Comment by Sam – March 13, 2013 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If there goal is to raise 2 mil then I can assure the actors won’t be overpaid for this project, a budget like that doesn’t leave a lot of money for paying the actors luxury salaries.

Comment by ABBY – March 13, 2013 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I watched the show and loved it and I agree with you! Kristen Bell could probably cough up $2 million on her own yet ordinary people are financing this project? What the heck?

Comment by Cookie – March 13, 2013 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You’re right. The main people could probably fund it themselves. The problems there are that what if they make no money on it? Plus they are going to have WB backing, and WB owns the characters and the show. They cannot do it without them. WB will not help with distribution (a huge problem for small and independent films) if they don’t think it is worth the money. This definitely proves interest. I would like to think if it were the final day and the project was just a small amount away from actualization that the principles would close the gap.

Comment by Kim – March 13, 2013 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What makes you think KB has the money to do this? do you think she made lots ofmoney on the tv version of VM, or HofL? The handful of movies she made she didn’t make lots of money. Just because she is an actress you assume she makes millions of dollars, when that is likely not the case. Besides all of the people they have to pay out to, managers, agents, etc., she gets even less. Im not saying she is a pauper but let’s be real 2 mil in liquid cash is hard to come by even for more popular and better paid actors. Let’s not forget baby on the way and they certainly aren’t cheap. This is a labor of love for all involved, no one is looking to get rich of this. This is for the fans, if you arent fan don’t contribute, but there are many fans that are willing to chip in for a chance at seeing something they enjoy. Stop raining on everyones parade and go sulk elsewhere.

Comment by Kc – March 13, 2013 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Plus she has a baby on the way! Those things are pricey :p

And as others have said, $2 million to make a movie is quite small so chances are they are pitching in their own money.

Comment by Ashley – March 13, 2013 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Just because Bell’s movies didn’t make money, doesn’t mean she didn’t rake in the cash. She’s been working steadily in Hollywood for a long time now. She probably has more money than most people who’ve pledged money for this project.

And yeah — she’s having a baby. So what? I’m sure people putting up pledge money have babies too. Everyone has expenses, everyone has kids and bills and mortgages to pay. Not everyone makes Hollywood money.

Don’t get me wrong, I loved VM and I ADORE Kristen Bell. But bottom line, people like Bell and Thomas begging average people for money to make their project seems a little tacky and tasteless to me.

Comment by cookie – March 13, 2013 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Plus she’s married to the deusche from PArenthood. They are super rich!!

Comment by JASon – March 13, 2013 02:14 PM PDT
          • It’s not about what the cast makes, etc. The WB has been against this and is the one that wants to see if there’s fan interest, etc.

Comment by Julie – March 13, 2013 02:38 PM PDT
        • She was also the voice of Gossip Girl. I’m sure she made a pretty decent chunk of change from that. As for her baby, her baby’s daddy is on a prominent show and has been a steady actor in Hollywood for a while now as well. I doubt they’ll have a problem providing for their kid financially.

I’m a huge fan of VMars and very excited about the project, but with the sequester and potential government shutdown this month, my money is staying right where it is.

Comment by Danielle – March 13, 2013 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • The fans want this movie, I don’t know why people are so offended the Kristen Bell the actress who is probably agreeing to act in this movie for next to nothing isn’t going to pay for it for us.

Comment by ABBY – March 13, 2013 03:01 PM PDT
          • I’m not at all offended that she isn’t paying for it herself, but the idea that she’s hurting for cash is laughable. If other fans want to fund the project, I’m more than okay with that. I think it’s odd to ask fans to fund it and I think WB should have a pretty clear idea on how loyal the fanbase is to the show, actors are still frequently questioned on it, but I have no problem with other people shelling out for it. The only way I’m funding it is through Redbox or Netflix though.

Comment by Danielle – March 13, 2013 03:34 PM PDT
      • Kristen Bell and Rob Thomas have offered to pay for it for years. The studio would not accept it. The studios want to see that there is a fan interest in the movie, hence the fan campaign. It is actually a brilliant move on Rob and Kristen’s parts to finish the story. I mean, most of us fans would buy the movie anyway, why not donate the money directly to the movie instead of paying it to amazon, or walmart, or target, or some music/movie stores to purchase it?

Comment by Sara – March 13, 2013 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • that’s whatI was going to point out :)

Comment by leah – March 13, 2013 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Exactly! It’s more an issue of paying for a copy upfront to take the risk away for the pessimistic execs ;)

Comment by cassey – March 13, 2013 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You contribute to the production of movies that you will never have an interest in seeing, every time you go to the theater or buy a DVD. Where do you think that money goes? The people who contribute to this are contributing to a movie they actually want to see, and will be getting scripts, t-shirts, copies of the movie, etc. in return.

Who’s the chump in this scenario?

Comment by Drew – March 13, 2013 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not every person in Hollywood has that kind of money. Recall that Kevin Smith financed his first film on loans and credit cards. It was a hit and he made it big, but many other small film makers are not successful because they dont’ find a niche, they don’t find backing, or they don’t find distribution. Sure, Hollywood movies and stars are huge moneymakers, but that doesn’t mean they would be anywhere without fan support. And most movie makers will tell you the story of how they started, being similar to the story I mention above. It’s all about a dream. We aren’t supporting Hollywood and it’s opulence. We are supporting a show with a cast that we loved. There would be no Hollywood if there were no fans.

Comment by Kim – March 13, 2013 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • AND NOT A SINGLE F*CK WAS GIVEN

Comment by Lilu – March 13, 2013 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The begging video is worth $10 on its own. Lets get this made.

Comment by jay – March 13, 2013 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just donated and cannot wait to see Enrico Colantoni again. He is my secret crush. Go Veronica Mars!

Comment by Pam – March 13, 2013 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so, can we make a Gilmore Girls movie happen the same way?

Comment by Line – March 13, 2013 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • only if the creator and actors are actually interested in pursuing it, as the VM ones are.

Comment by Marie – March 13, 2013 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • A Gilmore Girls movie will happen over Lauren Graham’s cold, dead, embalmed body.

Comment by Cookie – March 13, 2013 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think they only reason this is happening is because the people involved with the show (RT, KB , etc) are passionate about it and are willing to make it on the cheap. $2 mil is a very small budget for a film so I’m guessing everyone involved his agreed to work for cheap.

Comment by ABBY – March 13, 2013 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Stop stealing VM’s thunder. Take your Gilmore Girl fanning somewhere else! VERONICA MARS! VERONICA MARS!

Comment by DoctorWhoFanatic! – March 13, 2013 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lauren Graham tweeted support for this project and added that GG should have thought of it.

Comment by ABBY – March 13, 2013 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow I’m impressed how fast that number keeps rising since I donated less than an hour ago I think they’ve raised another $100000. I’m starting to get that this could really happen!

Comment by ABBY – March 13, 2013 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just made my pledge of $25. Come on everyone give give give so we can conclude the veronica mars story and giv eit an ending it deserves!

Comment by Sarah Wilson – March 13, 2013 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I did my share – pledged $100 :-)

Comment by Lisa – March 13, 2013 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too! Maybe they could do another kickstarter to get the whole show on blu!

Comment by leah – March 13, 2013 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As a broke college student I just pledge the $35. I figured I’ll just buy the actually movie when it released.

Comment by yuki – March 13, 2013 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nearly at $500,000! If it reaches that, that means 75% more! Still a lot! Tell all your Veronica Mars friends about this! The more who knows the better. Every dollar counts!

Comment by Josh – March 13, 2013 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wow, even when international audience WANTS to give our money, USA copyright laws still prevent us. talk about missing the chance. And the point.

Comment by wi – March 13, 2013 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The first nine reward levels are now available to Kickstarter donors in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the UK.

Comment by Kelley S. (@TheKellWithIt) – March 28, 2013 06:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s important to support this if you are a fan for so many reasons, and even if you’re not a fan, but just a fan of TV shows that get cut off way too early. This could very well revolutionize the way things are done. Kevin Smith visited fan sponsorship back when he was doing Red State, but at the time it didn’t seem a legal and viable option (if I recall, don’t quote me). The important think about this is that it shows that the networks were wrong. If all this time later, what, six or seven years?, fans are willing to come forward and fund a movie, maybe they will take fans into consideration more in the future. Even if it is only a few dollars, show your support. Another consideration, however unlikely, is that the movie launch will gain fans, and who knows, maybe we will have sequels, or a VM 2.0 tv series. You never know. Most importantly, though, I believe this could change things in the best way possible for fans. Not to mention that it opens VM up to the mainstream movie goer. This is one time where your voice (by way of your wallet) truly counts!

Comment by Kim – March 13, 2013 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can people outside the U.S. donate to this great and wonderful cause?

Comment by robinepowell – March 13, 2013 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes the donation takes you to amazon and your details for amazon.co.uk (assuming you have an account) work for amazon.com as well so nothing stops you donating however you won’t get the swag their giving for donating because it’s US shipping only.

Comment by ABBY – March 13, 2013 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Kelley S. (@TheKellWithIt) – March 28, 2013 07:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WOW. I’ve never even seen this show (nor do I have any interest in doing so), but I want to pledge just because this looks like such a great thing for its fans.

Comment by RS – March 13, 2013 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yes donate lol.

Comment by Heather – March 13, 2013 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • half a million in less than 2 hours…… this seems promising

Comment by yb – March 13, 2013 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just donated – this is amazing. Spread the word people!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Trista – March 13, 2013 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just checked the site – they are already over $560,000 :-)

Comment by Lisa – March 13, 2013 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pledged $50! I’m a broke college student and it’s all I can spare! A Ramen diet for the next couple of weeks will be worth it!

Comment by Corinne – March 13, 2013 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Totally Donated, lets hope we actually get LoVe in the end though rather than the lame ending we had in season 3.

Comment by Heather – March 13, 2013 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I pledged $35. I am so excited that it’s already 1/4 of the way to the goal after just a few hours. And I pray that they forget that Piz ever happened.

Comment by Mikael – March 13, 2013 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ha he’s mentioned in the list of potential signatories on the pledges, so guess he’s in there!

Comment by Ashley – March 13, 2013 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I was a Piz fan. I loved him and Deputy Leo.

Comment by Krystan – March 13, 2013 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • $651,759 already. I’m seriously going to cry tears of joy when they announce it. Not to mention, they have until the middle of April to keep raising. Probably enough for a sequel. ;)

Comment by Jarrod Mitchell – March 13, 2013 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They could not only be the highest movie category on kickstarter, but also reach that goal in a single day. Amazing.

Comment by DreamRose311 – March 13, 2013 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s very good news!
    Now I want a movie for True Calling, too.

Comment by Rober – March 13, 2013 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will be donating, but I would really like to see that Vinnie VanLowe will be back. As slimey as he was, Ken Marino is one of my faves and I would love to see him back.

Comment by Krystan – March 13, 2013 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m giving more one or two hours to get on the first million. Surreal!

Comment by ' – March 13, 2013 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Its gonna make it + a extra 2 million is my guess. Its already at 800k

Comment by ggny – March 13, 2013 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I definitely think it will make it to it’s goal, not sure how much over it will go though because regardless of the fact a larger budget will help make a better movie I think a lot of people who plan to donate might not bother if when they get to the donation page it’s already over it’s goal and going to get made anyway. Just a theory hopefully I’ll be proven wrong.

Comment by ABBY – March 13, 2013 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am definitely donating!

Comment by Jessica – March 13, 2013 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!! That’s really all I have to say about it. AHHHHHH!!!!!

Comment by Sara – March 13, 2013 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want to see a video with the rest of the cast. Tina,Percy and Francis. It wouldnt be the same Veronica Mars without them 3

Comment by ggny – March 13, 2013 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They should do a media tour to help promote the Kickstarter project. Also, if the movie gets funded, they should go to this summer’s San Diego Comic Con!

Comment by Arie – March 13, 2013 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amazing $900K in how many hours?

Comment by Chicago Dan – March 13, 2013 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • can UK people get the $10 reward of the pdf script?

Comment by Deesha – March 13, 2013 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hmm maybe this can happen with Chuck as well?

Comment by ScarlettH – March 13, 2013 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My Thoughts exactly….This is a must for a CHUCK Movie.

Comment by Tater – March 14, 2013 12:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just went and donated 35 dollars :).

Comment by Francine – March 13, 2013 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, they’re almost at $1mil.

Comment by c0rinne – March 13, 2013 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Almost a million before the 1st day is out!

Comment by Deion – March 13, 2013 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Almost at $1,000,000 on the first day! I am sooooo excited about the VM movie!

Comment by Anna – March 13, 2013 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • $1Mio !!! Only $1Mio to go !!!

Comment by jenny – March 13, 2013 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fastest ever to 1 Million. Come on that has to say something to the WB about Canceling and not funding the movie

Comment by ggny – March 13, 2013 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 1,000,000!!! Woohoo!

Comment by Drew – March 13, 2013 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Over $1Mil now. A lot of the big ticket items have been claimed too, speaking roll, some of the namings, all of the minor red carpet ones as well.

Comment by Alex – March 13, 2013 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fastest Kickstarter to reach 1 million!

Comment by Win – March 13, 2013 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited. I hope Mac, Piz and Duncan are in it also. Never really been a LoVe shipper. I’d be okay if that ended somehow. I’d Pledge.

Comment by Gerald – March 13, 2013 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • We need to campaign for Backup to be in it too.

Comment by Drew – March 13, 2013 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • UGLY BETTY needs this treatment!

Comment by Conor Shanahan (@ConorShanahan) – March 13, 2013 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Freaks and Geeks High School Reunion 1990 Movie!!!!

Comment by JASon – March 13, 2013 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That would be unreal.

Comment by jay – March 13, 2013 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Half way there in 4 hours!!!!! SO excited that we will most likely get to see LoVe again!!! :) :)

Comment by mandy – March 13, 2013 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Over half way there in a very short time.

Comment by Sg. Grant – March 13, 2013 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is crazy. We’ve already raised $1,288,240 and it only started this morning. Veronica Mars movie here we come!

Comment by Gem – March 13, 2013 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We’ve passed 1.3 million in less than a day! We could end up funding a complete VM revival series in thirty!

Comment by I Heart Damon Salvatore – March 13, 2013 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rob Thomas tweeted that they’re working to get the international issue fixed, so all the international fans, donate, too!

It’s already at $1.3 million and it hasn’t even been one day!!!

Comment by McKenzie – March 13, 2013 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • thanks for this info :)

Comment by wi – March 13, 2013 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post