NBC Moves Struggling Smash to Saturdays, Relocates Go On, Plus Other Schedule Changes

Get More: News, Scheduling News

smash season 2Saturday night’s all right for… burnoffs?

NBC is moving its ratings-challenged musical Smash from its Tuesday timeslot, with plans to air the remainder of the show’s 17-episode Season 2 on Saturdays at 9/8c, beginning April 6.

Smash opened its sophomore season with just 4.5 million total viewers and a 1.1 demo rating, plunging 25 and 39 percent from its freshman finale and both marking series lows. It slipped further in Week 2, stabilized in Week 3, and most recently ticked up a hair to 2.9 million viewers and a 0.9 rating.

RELATED | 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

In addition to relocating Smash, NBC also announced:

* The new dating series Ready for Love — which the Peacock reportedly has very high hopes for — will air Tuesdays from 9 to 11, leading out of The Voice, starting April 9. (Originally the newbie was set for a Sunday berth.)

* Go On, NBC’s strongest freshman comedy, is moving to Thursdays at 9:30 pm effective April 4; the season finale airs April 11.

* The New Normal will air a one-hour season finale on Tuesday, April 2, from 9 to 10 pm.

* Whitney will air a one-hour season finale on Wednesday, March 27.

* And beginning April 14 and through the end of May, Celebrity Apprentice will expand to two hours.

Comments (163)

• The problem with Smash is they lost so many viewers last season, and just because you replace a showrunner and revamp things doesn’t mean viewers are going to come back. In fact, I bet many of the people who stuck it out last season because they wanted to give it hope, didn’t come back this season even though it looked more promising.

Comment by cas – March 14, 2013 06:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC, chillax already.

Comment by Sarabi – March 14, 2013 06:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Smash was so good last season and totally bombed this season with the introduction of some new characters that are more annoying than interesting. Should have continued the Bombshell storyline more. Rather than focus on the annoying guy with an attitude trying to make it as a broadway music writer they should have focused the subplot solely on Jennifer Hudson breaking out of broadway to become a famous singer and the dramaturg guy developing Bombshell into a more interesting musical. The new young guy character is not only not believable in the least that a director like Derek would give the time of day, but he is totally annoying and that storyline is a distraction from the much more interesting one of Bombshell.

Comment by shelley – March 14, 2013 06:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This actually works better for me.. I don’t care about Glee or Grey’s.. I just have to worry about PoI.. next season who knows what it might be against..

Comment by Mercenary Chef – March 14, 2013 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Personally I really like Smash. NBC is almost always the lowest in ratings. So I am not sure what makes them decide which shows they should keep and which to cancel.
    I do not watch Deception but it’s numbers are not that great but yet they seem to be keeping it on.
    I am happy that Chicago Fire is doing good! I really hope Parenthood comes back.

Comment by sarah – March 14, 2013 08:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “I am not sure what makes them decide which shows they should keep and which to cancel.”

Usually production costs. Smash is a very expensive show to make. They have to build sets for every performance that cost thousands of dollars, they’re not just producing a show, they’re producing two more shows inside another one, so the money put into it is a lot, and if they’re not getting viewers, then it’s not worth keeping alive.

Comment by GingerTaylah – March 14, 2013 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Deceptions season finale is next Monday and I’ll be really surprised if it gets renewed.

Comment by wrstlgirl – March 14, 2013 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I HATE NBC and Steven Spielberg! There are very few shows on TV that are not geared to either idiots or boys or men. SMASH was a smart, funny show that was geared to smart, sophisticated adults and it was wonderful! Yes, there were a few tweaks that needed to be made but it didn’t need anything major. Then NBC and Spielberg hired that idiot, Josh Safron, who had no Broadway experience and who decided to gear the show toward teenage twits! The show can be saved with a little tweaking and some committment from NBC. It seems as though they don’t want to do that but they owe it to the fans to give the show a proper ending. Ideally we’d like to see Derek and Karen get together and see Karen and Ivy succeed. Again, NBC may not care but they will want people to buy season 2 on DVD and no one will unless the show has an ending.

Comment by Tina – March 14, 2013 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Celebrity apprentice has always been 2 hours, what are u talking about?

Comment by Potie – March 14, 2013 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well that might be it for me for Go On. I enjoyed watching it, usually I DVR it as there aren’t many comedies I watch. But I am already having a problem with Thursday night, 9-10. My DVR is only able to record 2 shows so I have to catch 2 on demand. Now I will have to remember to watch 3 on demand. Really do enjoy Smash, wish there was more singing this season. I will miss this show, moving to Saturday is the kiss of death. And I do not like reality shows so wont even think about checking any of those out. I really have to think seriously about getting into any NBC shows, they really don’t know what they are doing. They need to totally clean house there.

Comment by Vi – March 14, 2013 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched Smash last season but I was on the fence about it and, after reading some reviews of it, decided not to bother. The story lines about the musical were great but they spent almost no time on that and spent entirely too much time focusing on the personal story lines, which were god awful. It’s too bad, because I really wanted to enjoy this show, since I love Broadway and musicals. Smash ultimately fails because they shove the Broadway aspect of it into the background as nothing but a mere plot device to bring about these horrendous, contrived, stupid social situations.

Comment by kate – March 14, 2013 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Here’s my idea for a Series (season) finale for Smash. Josh Safran can steal it he wants and NBC should steal it for their ratings. Here’s how it works:

Put this 2 hr finale behind a one hour Voice.
    The big idea is a live episode (I know a lot of these fail but hear me out)

A 2 hr Live episode of Bombshell’s full opening performance plus whatever backstage business we might need to see to finish out the plot lines.

It’s expensive and it’s a risk but as a fan of the show, I want to see bombshell come to fruition. The ratings could be great and the spectacle of it all could mean great things or NBC. They need to be in the risk-taking business and they need to do things outside the box. And these actors are trained to do live shows in theater and it can be a really excellent and precedent-setting episode.

There it is. That’s my pitch.

Comment by Rob – March 14, 2013 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hey, I’m with you on this one!

Comment by beverly sansone – March 21, 2013 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please NBC save SMASH

Comment by Phil – March 15, 2013 07:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sad to see NBC even thinking about canceling SMASH. I love the show! I enjoy it more than GLEE. I hope they re-think this one. I can’t believe the networks can do this because ratings fall a little. ABC canceled Zero hour after 3 shows because of ratings. Please NBC don’t cancel Smash.

Comment by Mary – March 15, 2013 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the creators of Smash forgot one major thing: Kat McPhee is an extremely unlikeable actress to begin with. No matter how much singing talent, looks, etc., she’s just plain unlikeable.

Comment by Ed – March 16, 2013 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • SMASH lost me last season after marginalizing the “singular talent” of Ivy Lynn. I still watch but won’t be sad it’s gone. Katherine McPhee isn’t HALF the actress or Broadway caliber (note, I did not say “pop”) singer that is Meg Hilty. McPhee has 3 facial expressions (& that’s being generous), does not remotely have the sex appeal or body of Marilyn Monroe, & cannot belt like a Tony nominee/winner. I’m hoping that the new direction (to conclusion) of the show brings Ivy back to the lead. Based on the new songs on the recently-released BOMBSHELL soundtrack, Mama Lynn is back as Norma Jean’s mother & this bodes well for Ivy as Marilyn. For the finale, I hope Ivy kills it as Marilyn; Karen drops her obnoxious naivete after getting burned by her drug-addicted, ill-tempered boyfriend; Derek gets hit by a NY taxicab; Julia realizes Tom is her family & gives up delusions of grandeur about writing something profound; & Eileen throws another drink in Jerry’s face.

Comment by Kit – March 18, 2013 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Smash lost themselves halfway through season 1. It’s sad it was one of my new favorite shows last year. This year has started off colossally bad. I’ve given up on watching. However the sooner they knock off shows which are beyond the point of return. The better chance new shows I enjoy have a chance like Deception and Chicago Fire. I love them!

Comment by Katie – March 17, 2013 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • they say josh safran ruined smash like what he did to gossip girl

Comment by Smash lover – March 18, 2013 11:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watch only one show on NBC and it is SMASH and if it gets cancelled I won’t be watching anything on NBC

Comment by Ashlynn – March 21, 2013 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC is crazy to move or cancel Smash. It’s the only musical show that really should be a musical. The cast is GREAT and this season has really kept my interest. I think it is a wonderful show and should be kept. I hop you hear me NBC.

Comment by beverly sansone – March 21, 2013 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can someone, anyone, provide a lobotomy check on the suits at Nothing But Crap? Why else would they continue to bring back ‘the trump’? He could go on The Biggest Loser as his ego needs to go on a diet.

Comment by Joe Cipale – March 27, 2013 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We need to save smash. It is the best thing to me that ever happened to NBC and I really just started this week and I can’t just have it end like that!we need to tell our friends, email them, call them and we can save this show! Please, I can’t just never see jimmy and Karen together ever again!

Comment by Shelly cookamabob – March 27, 2013 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So is this considered a cancellation of Smash then? I linked to this article from the “renewal scorecard” where it said Smash was cancelled…and Debra Messing has a comedy in the works…so I’m guessing its over…but when did this happen?!

Comment by Robin – March 27, 2013 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t want it to end but I feel if you are going to end the show can I get a Final Season to see how it ends up. I am so tired of these networks putting up shows that are not doing there best in there eyes and twant to cancel and you have to find out through the internet they decided to cancel the series when they leave you hanging becuase you were waiting for it to return.

Comment by Crystal – March 28, 2013 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Smash , sorry to see it get Canceled . I am curious why all the Tv shows seemed to be about gay relationships . that could be part of the problem . The American family might be changing channels .

Comment by Red – April 1, 2013 05:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ‘The American Family’ what a joke!

Comment by LOL – May 9, 2013 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am seriously sad to see Smash cancelled! I am over the shotty reality shows, &dumb comedy shows. At least smash was a new fresh storyline! Please save the show!

Comment by Lindsey DeCarlo – April 2, 2013 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thursdays are way too full. I think it’s a poor choice for NBC. They have a great show in SMASH and need to realize such a show takes time to develop a following. Frankly, I’m sick of this network.

Comment by Marcus Farrell – April 2, 2013 11:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love smash, I hope it doesn’t get cancelled!

Comment by lilly – April 3, 2013 07:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t cancel one of my favorite shows, I don’t understand if glee is renewed then smash should be a show in!:’( :-[

Comment by Megan – April 3, 2013 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At first I was curious with Katharine McPhee, Anjelica Huston & Debra Messing and what show would bring these amazing women together.
    I fell in love with the show because I felt like it was like Glee but for grown ups.
    The second season has had hard time jump starting as far as I am concerned.
    I don’t like all the attention spent more on everyone’s relationships vs the “Show must go on!” It feels like the show won’t go on. just a bunch of adults trying to figure out where they are instead of producing a hit.
    I want to see more of the show they are working on. Don’t get me wrong I get the drama and edge of seat drama of the side of who’s doing who. I just don’t want to know with each and ever single player. I also don’t want at the expense of the show Smash.

Comment by Debbie Morgan – April 16, 2013 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Moving Smash and putting on another stupid reality (term used VERY lightly) dating show. What a novel idea….a “dating” show, just like the other networks, full of struggling 15 min idiots. Think I’m going to boycott TV and read more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Better entertainment and better for my brain!

Comment by done with crap tv – April 16, 2013 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Smash… if NBC doesn’t keep it, Showtime should pick it up!

Comment by Marc – April 20, 2013 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Smash was my favorite program. BUT please tell me how my Tivo had it set to record on 3 tvs at 9pm eastern on april 20th and it played at at 8. So my tivo recorded Voice. Thank God someone gave a recap on the web. Is it coming on at 8 E or 9 Eastern???? from now on?? Upcoming shows have it at 9pm,but don’t trust it. My TIVO was updated too. The program is actually too good for TV and Saturdays are dead. I got tired of the new Jimmy character. Too much hostility

Comment by Jeanne – April 23, 2013 09:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I Love Go On! It is my new favorite show of the season. Matthew Perry is hilarious. I will be so sad if it does not come back. I find it so hard to commit to watching new shows on NBC because they seem to cancel them so quickly. Then I am left feeling like I was dumped by a tv show. So I tend to never add new shows to my line up but this one had me hooked after one episode.

Comment by Julianne – May 5, 2013 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SMASH was a great show last season and it had so many people hooked but this season it has gone down hill. However the cast is amazing except for the newbie Jimmy don’t love him. It seems like they tried to reinvent the show this season too much. I loved the easy flow of last season with just the right amount of drama and story line and wish that they could get that back.

Comment by Julianne – May 5, 2013 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post